Speaker 1: Bridgerton The Official Podcast is a production of Shondaland in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bridgerton the Official Podcast, your exclusive peak behind the curtain of Shondaland's Bridgerton series. I'm Betsy Beers, executive producer Bridgerton, and I'm also your host of Inside the Time, a deep dive into the genesis and journey of some of the most beloved characters from the show. For the third installment of this four part special, we're meddling in the business of Violet Bridgerton and Portia Featherington, two widow mothers of the Tongue who on the surface really could not be more different from one another, But one thing they have in common, Both mamma's are determined to do what they think is best for their children. I'll be joined by the remarkable writers and bona fide Bridgerton scholars, author Julia Quinn and showrunner Jess Bronell. We'll also hear from the actors Ruth Gemmel and Polly Walker on the intersection of these legendary matriarchs. But first, come on, let's recall the recent events in the lives of Lady Violet Bridgerton and Lady Porscha Featherington. Lady Porsha Featherington has spent the better part of the past two seasons and brailled in scandal. Wow, there has been a lot of scandal. First, she welcomed to pregnant Marina Thompson into her home, and while Porsche tried to marry her off before the rest of the time learned her secret, Lady Whistledown had other plans. Meanwhile, Porsha's husband gambled away all their money and he passed away, leaving them nearly destitute. What is a widow to do? Well, turns out the new Lord Featherington proved to be another disappointment. Lady Featherington tried her best to sway things in her and her daughter's favor, but Lord Featherington, as it turns out, was far from the gentlemen he made himself out to be. But through her cutting intellect, Portia found a way to send him back to America, narrowly avoiding another full blown scandal. And not only that, she successfully married off two of her daughters. Now dearest Penelope still remains. Meanwhile, we've watched as Lady Violet Bridgerton peers off her brood on the marriage mart A favorite of the Ton, Violet herself set an enviable example, having made a star cross love match with her late husband Edmund. Since his untimely passing, her garden has yet to bloom. If you get my drift. She's been much more preoccupied with helping her children find love, and after her great success marrying Dafning off to the Duke, Violet had a bumpier time convincing Anthony to follow his heart. Now after successfully settling Antony with this perfect match Kate, Lady Bridgerton has only got six more children to help find the same happiness. And by the way, Lady Bridgerton has had to navigate her own shrif of scandals brought upon her family by Colin, Antony and Eloise, But the Bridgertons, they always seem to land on top. Lady Bridgerton and Lady Featherington are absolutely totally two of my favorite characters in the Ton. I had the opportunity to continue my character chats with the amazing Julia Quinn, author of the Bridgerton series. Julia and I talked about the matriarchs as they were conceived in the books. What motherhood looked like in the regency era and the ways readers might even be smarter than writers. Okay, let's take just talk a little bit about you know, two of my favorite people in the world, Lady Featherington and Lady Bridgerton. How different are these two as mothers? I mean, come on, oh, they're so different.
Speaker 3: But yet oh my gosh, can we just take a Polly Walker appreciation moment?
Speaker 2: Oh, just have a moment please for one of the just an amazing actress and somebody who makes me both shudder and love her at the same time.
Speaker 3: And I mean, we need to take a Ruth Gemmel appreciation moment too. But I think what Polly does has got to be harder because I mean, we just we love Violet, we just adore her, every inch of her, every inch of her. But then for Lady Featherington, I mean, you hate her half the time and yet you sympathize whether she has these moments where like in season one when she's talking to Marina at the end, I was just like, how did she do that?
Speaker 2: Ugh? Oh yeah, And look, I'm just gonna say for everybody what you see in season three, it's one of the best sort of film and character journeys I've seen in a really really long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just you know, when you can make a character who does things that are so unkind still be so sympathetic, it's brilliant, both her and the writers for the show because in the book she's not nearly a big as big a role. So I have to really give credit to the screenwriters for, you know, the ways that they have expanded her and built her out.
Speaker 2: Oh and I think even you know, season's went into understanding. I mean, she's diabolical, but understanding always why she's doing it, because it's that that glimpse of the relationship with her husband in season one where you're just oh, this it's it lies in such stark contrast, as you said, with the Bridgerton's and the relationship Violet had, you know, the love that died that will never be again. You know that that entire contrast is just It's also I think for me when I look at this and I say, okay, it's fascinating to me the different forms of child rearing that occurred during this period of time. I mean, can you speak to that some because obviously Violet's a very different kind of other than Penelope Porsia.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I suspect that PSI, I suspect that there weren't that many families like the Bridgertons. To be honest with you, I don't think that level of involvement was that common there. You know a lot of people they would see their kids once a day when the nannies would bring them out. So that was fairly I think atypical, which isn't say didn't happen, but I don't think that was typical for aristocratic families in that time period.
Speaker 2: The Violet. One of the things which is really always interesting obviously about the world is violets say, total anomaly as she is for you know, wanting her children to marry for love. It's interesting because they're both widows, so or at least Porsha becomes a widow or we watch or become a widow, and they seem to really navigate the world incredibly differently. Okay, this is just a random question. How did you come up with names? Because Porscha Featherington is such a good name, and the fact it's Porsche.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't even remember did I name her Porsia? I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: That maybe we did. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Somebody will let me know, because there are definite books where I don't bother giving somebody a first name because they're just lady this or that, And I'm like, I wonder, I wonder if I could go the entire book without saying what her first name is. It's kind of fun for me, Like it's like a little challenge I give to myself. So so I may not have, you know, I have learned that I have a finite ability to come up with names, because it turns out and apparently I had a someone whistled down in my fourth book, just as like a dinner party guest totally realize it. Yeah, yeah, no idea. No, I mean so clearly i'd come up with that once before. And where did I come with names? I mean, for you know, I'll do things like, oh, you know where I went once? There used to be a Facebook group called I went to a proper English boarding school, and I would go there and like, look at the names of people who are there, because most of them were they were either British or they were coming from like Hong Kong, and you could usually tell which was which and so you come up with these you could see these more kind of traditional names. And I did during my gap year. I did go to a Church of England all girls boarding school, so and I still have my little guidebook, I mean, like the list of roster, so I can still like look at names there, you know, because these would be you know, very middle to upper middle class girls. I I don't think there were any aristocrats there. There may have been people who were like tangentially involved, but they would have had like come from that kind of name pool. And then you know, for titles and things like that. I would often just look at the addresses, like renames of roads and towns and villages and houses and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, the name Featherington is so distinct. I mean, Bridgerton and Featherington are so it's like they're so they're so great, but they're so unique, you know, I mean Featherington, it's hysterical.
Speaker 3: Can I point out that people have ascribed to me doing the easter egg of making them Featherington's because of Penelope's quill And.
Speaker 2: Absolutely was I wish I was that smart?
Speaker 3: Can I tell you, Oh my gosh, I almost hit the floor when Mindy Kaling, who you've probably met her because you probably know everybody. But I think she's incredible. Okay, okay, Mindy for listening. I think you're incredible. But she tweeted at one point, you know, thinking you're a Bridgerton when but finding out you're really a Featherington something like that, and I was like, tweet like again, I'm doing what you're doing where I'm like making like gestures that nobody can see. But that was like incredible. You know the fact that like people like know what these family names mean in terms of vibes and whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, no, it's it is and it you really do sort of set up these patterns of, you know, immediately how you feel about somebody because the Bridgertons have a solid name. It's a bridge. The feather Tints, I don't know that we find feathers that dressed worthy as opposed to being quills. So somewhere, if I was your psychiatrist, I would say, oh, I don't know something about your deep subconscious apparently is projecting things.
Speaker 3: You are definitely reading more into this than like I ever ever planned. But okay, you can you can who knows I was always the person in English class in high school going like, why do you know we analyze this, but why do we think the author was actually thinking about any of this one like she wrote it and so, and then the teacher being like, well does it matter if it's how we analyze it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, yeah, I don't know, but it's where you can say, like, but how these people are dead? We can't even ask them. We'll be right back after the shortbreak. Welcome back to Bridgerton the Official podcast. Some of the fun in going from book to screen is expanding and adapting the blueprint of the character laid out by Julia's novels. Showrunner Jess Brennell and I talked about fleshing out and finding three dimensions to Violet and Portie within the scripts and what these two seemingly absolutely totally different mamas have in common. So when you read the books, what did you take away from the books about the mothers of the Ton and how do you want to see these characters evolve over the course of seasons.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll say first, when I think about the differences between Lady Bridgerton and Lady Featherington, I actually think that they have more in common than they do differences. You know, they both are so devoted to their families. They would do anything for their kids. Lady Featherington just has had a lot more bad luck than Violet. She had a loveless marriage, she's had financial woes, and she probably never had a good example of what love looks like if I'm guessing. So, she loves her children I think, just as much as Violet, but maybe doesn't know how to show it. Whereas Violet, who you know, had the love of her father, she knows what it's like to receive love and to give love. So in terms of evolution for the characters, I would love to see Lady Featherington find a way to express that affection and love that she has for all of her daughters, but especially Penelope, in a more direct way. And you know, for Violet, I would also like to see her allow maybe some love into her life again that isn't just the love of her children, because you know, she's so self sacrificing, but I think she deserves to put herself first for once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, you know, going back to Lady Featherington for a second. Two Look, I look at that and she didn't have an inheritance. She never got like a step up. She from what I can tell from season one, that was not an ideal marriage. And he's created a whole load of problems. They're heading towards being, you know, broke, And people say, oh, she's conniving and terrible, but I think in a way in regency world, she's just resourceful because she has to figure out ways of being. And yeah, she's a social climber because she needs to be a social climber. It's not and if you even want to call what she does climbing, it's just be included to a large degree, you know. And it is a sort of market contrast with Violet. The flip side for Violet is she did have the perfect love and she did. She has involved, and I think engaged all of her efforts and emotions in raising her children and making sure that they are well taken care of. So watching her get to a place where, I mean, eventually the kids will be out of the house, I mean it's going to take while we have a lot of children, y'all, soo, but you do sort of feel like she's going to have to get to a place where she she doesn't she does something besides worry about two's going to get married and how this is going to work and that they get married for love, because that's also a lot of responsibility, this getting married for love thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she's going to have to pick up more than just like a pottery hobby, you know, the last years. Like, I don't know if that's going to be enough to get her through. Her entire meaning in life is about her kids, and I think it's going to be tough. And you know, on the Lady Featherington comparison, who's to say if Violet had the same financial woes that Lady Featherington had, she wouldn't start like a fake gem mind scam with her cousin.
Speaker 5: You know, it's totally possible.
Speaker 2: Look, and I know, I know we saw in Queen Charlotte. If you all have seen Queen Charlotte, it's Lady Danbury is trying to help Violet get along with her life. And look, there's there's some heavy stuff that's happened between the two of them, which everybody deals with with either strong SIPs of unknown liquor or tea. And I do think it sort of opens the door to what is what does Violet really think about everything?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: Which I think is also where where is her head at? And and I think I think I want to see more of Lady Danberry and Violet too, because I feel like that's a relationship that we've dug into sort of superficially. But Queen Charlotte, then we got a whole nother layer in there, and we are further to go there. The thing that I feel like we got in Queen Charlotte was this idea that there's a lot of there's a little bit unfinness business between Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgerton, and I feel like we've had in the past couple of seasons we sort of scraped the surface on their relationship. It's been very it's busy. Mama's trying to get the marriages working and the conniving in season one of making sure that Simon behaved, and then you know, season two, it's the sort of it's helping her navigate, first of all, sticking her bigfoot, Lady Danbury's big foot in the Edwina Kate situation, going Edwena's right for for Anthony, and they're sort of progressing. But I think Queen Charlotte's sort of like up for obvious reasons for all of you who saw it burst open this world, I think I'm just excited. Do you have anything to say about like season three and where you think that relationship's going to go or what you're excited to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, first of all, I'm really grateful to Shonda for the backstory of their relationship on Queen Charlotte because it gives us so much more depth between those two women. You know, in seasons one and two, like it made sense why Lady Danberry was so involved in season one because she has that connection to Simon. In season two she also had a connection to the Sharmas. But when we got to season three, we were going she always ends up involved in a Bridgerton relationship. What reason are we going to create this year? And it's no, we don't have to manufacture anything. There is this real depth between these two women, between these two families, and Lady Danberry has a real reason for her connection to the Bridgertons. So knowing that allowed us to go a lot deeper with them in this upcoming season and we're continuing on I would say, in a small way, from the spin off to look further under the hood and focus not only on their relationship in terms of meddling and scheming with the kids, but what do they actually mean to each other and why is something that we will be poking at even further.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I can, I can hardly wait. And they're so funny together.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, every time I'm on set with Adua, I just tell her I go master class, masterclass, and Ruth, like, Ruth brings so much humor to lines that I didn't realize were funny, just these minute expressions on her face. She's They're both incredible to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I I mean, I can watch Lady Danbury read a whistle down for like six hours, just the same shot. It's it's it's all good to me, it's all good. So in the business called show, there's an old adage that ninety percent of directing is casting. Now, I'd say Bridgarton requires a whole lot from every department truly, but our cast is constantly wowing us with their brilliance. Polly Walker, who plays Porsche, and Ruth Gemmel, who plays Violet, are absolutely no exception to that fact. These women are such incredible actresses. They are capable of stealing a scene with just a look. Here's a peek into Polly and Ruth's thoughts on the complex and fascinating women they portray. Here's Lady Featherington herself, Polly.
Speaker 6: I always get slightly hurt on Porsche's behalf when people go, oh my god, she's so horrible and she's so mean, and she's so pushy, and she's such a terrible mother. And I think I totally disagree. I think that she's a very good mother. It wasn't the era of her sentiments and for talking through one's feelings. You know, her role was to get her daughters married in the best way possible, and she accomplishes it with very with no help from anyone. Actually that's not true. She has help from Valley, her and Penelope. You know, they've been on a journey in their relationship, for sure. I mean she certainly kind of overlooked her, and you know, imagine that she would never marry and she'd just be her little companion through life and with her books, which she would doesn't understand why anyone would want to read a book, but you know she'll be with her and she'll keep her company. So I think she underestimated Penelope massively, you know, but Penelope was a dark horse and kept things hidden.
Speaker 2: And here's the divine Lady Bridgerton Ruth Well.
Speaker 5: I guess where we left off was Queen Charlotte, and it became very obvious that having witnessed two of her children fall in love and be happy. I think it's really resonated with her how much she misses her husband, how much she misses that intimacy, And with her great friend Lady Danbury. I think they realize that it's time that she sort of steps back into society. So that's where we meet her. They've already she's already kind of announced to Lady Danbury if you like that. You know, she'd like to see a bit of life again. Really, So that's where we are. And you know, also there is the usual thing of I have another child out in society, and I never stop with my intent on marrying them all off. I always go back to and dip in and out of the books. And I know we're very different. We've sort of taken storylines in slightly different ways now, and so going back to the books is helpful. And unhelpful. And one of the things that I've always loved in the books is that she makes all her children dance with Penelope. She keeps sort of bringing her in the fold, and I absolutely think she knows where this is heading. I mean, she's one of these women who just understands her children better than the children do.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to my special guest Ruth Gemel, Polly Walker, Jess Brownell, and Julia Quinn. I'm your host, Betsy Beers, and thank you for listening to Inside the Time. Do you have a favorite Violet or Porsche moment so far in the series, any predictions for season three? Share them in reviews. I'm going to say it again. We love it when you share it in reviews. It lets us know you're listening and we're desperate to know what you think. So remember anything what's going on with Newton? Ask us we love it and guess what? All right, So, the final episode of Inside the Ton releases this week. Subscribe now so you're alerted as soon as it drops. Oh wait, did I mention it's all about Colin Bridgerton, the most eligible bachelor of the season. You're not gonna want to miss This.
Speaker 1: Bridgerton. The official podcast is produced by Shondaland Audio and Wonder Media Network. This show is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our producers are Sarah Schleid, Edie Allard, and Carmen Borca Carrio. This episode is edited by Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our associate producers are Lauren Williams and Akia mcnight. If you haven't finished binging Bridgerton, please head to Netflix so you can enjoy these spoilers with us each week. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows