Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to the show. My name is Nol.
Speaker 3: Our pal Matt is on adventures and will be returning soon.
Speaker 2: They call me bet.
Speaker 3: We're joined as always with our super producer, Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan.
Speaker 2: Most importantly, you are you. You are here.
Speaker 3: That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Ed Noel, I know we've been talking a lot about some classic rock stuff in previous episodes, So riddle me this. Who wants to live forever?
Speaker 4: It's the other nol the lesser Noel Gallagher of the Gallagher Brothers family. Now he's way more famous than me, you and I is who wants to live forever? And we're going to We don't just want it, We're going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna manifest it. Dude.
Speaker 3: This is a question for the ages over the past few millennia, just what's a couple thousand years between friends? Civilization has tried all, dude, all sorts of stuff to stave off mortality, and in recent decades, as you and Matt and Tennessee and I have discussed in previous episodes, science has made some extraordinary and terrified breakthroughs into what we call longevity studies.
Speaker 2: Hey did I tell you I finally got a blood boy? Oh? No, around, We're just connected, oh intravenously.
Speaker 4: I'm just kind of siphoning off his life for us, his youthful energy, and I feel like a million bucks never felt better.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, Okay, are you gonna put him in frame? His name is no later episode Steve.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean that's no no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I can't have people know too much about Steve.
Speaker 3: This is okay, yeah, keep it secret, Canty Steve. So we know that new medicine, new treatments are all over the horizon, especially for investors. We know about organ transplants and cloning, the kind of stuff that makes you really question what it means to be human. Luckily, we are not diving into tonight's topic alone. We are thrilled, friends and neighbors to be joined by one of our old, dear friends. He's not old, We've just known each other for a while. The award winning co founder of Kaleidoscope, and, among many other things, the creator of the hit podcast Skyline Drive, How to Live Forever, Man Gesh How to Couture. Thank you for joining us, Dude, I am so thrilled.
Speaker 5: I love that we get to hang out.
Speaker 6: On camera because we haven't been able to do it in person in a while.
Speaker 5: And I miss you guys to be good.
Speaker 4: Gonna be saying and speaking about camera? What kind of life extension technology are you tapped into?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: You look great.
Speaker 5: I'm suspicious for the filter.
Speaker 2: I think that that must be. That's about what most of us can.
Speaker 3: Afford, to be honest, So, Mengesh, Is it okay if we call you Mango in this one?
Speaker 5: Of course? Are you kidding? We're friends you don't have.
Speaker 2: To hide from.
Speaker 4: Okay, so don't you call him that. That's only close personal friends like us.
Speaker 3: We had to earn it. Uh so uh, you have done so much stuff. A quick peek behind the curtain. We knew Noel, Matt and myself we knew a lot about your work before we ever met in person. There was a very awkward moment you and I had when you we started working together, and I showed you what are your books Mental Flaws? And you asked. You were so polite and in person bull, You said, Ben, do you want do you want us to sign this book? And then I revealed that you had already signed it, and I sort of walked away backwards because they didn't know.
Speaker 5: What to do.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Homer Simpson Bush mood. Love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just so, I don't think I would have offered to sign it.
Speaker 6: I think Will is very happy to sign anything that's put in front of it.
Speaker 4: Also, yeah, now he's now he's signing big contracts and making billion dollar deals with TikTok and stuff.
Speaker 2: As we know everybody.
Speaker 6: When we first started, like menal plus, we made this like little video of like like just how our personalities had blossomed and and and we did this thing where like someone was pulling over to ask for directions and this is so long ago that people had maps, and like they showed this map to Will and he's like, of course, he just signs it.
Speaker 2: Incredible, incredible. We love that dude too.
Speaker 4: And he of course was your partner in Mental Flaws and y'all work together on part time genius still from time to time, and we love it when new episodes of that Drop Mego. You and I worked together back in the day on one of our very first true crime shows. We worked on together, Happy Face, And uh, you know you've moved on to do amazing things with your company Kaleidoscope, and that I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna say just I mean, like I'm sure people know this, but like you're just an insane and so talented musician and and and the soundtrack for Happy Face, like we talked about together, like.
Speaker 5: It's so crazy that this is an audio medium and.
Speaker 6: Uh, there's so little actual music in it, like so much of it as stock and stuff like that. And you'd already been playing in this with with with previous stuff at house stuff works. But like we made such a rich soundtrack for that, and it was really you for that set the tone of that show, and people were asking if they could buy it. I mean, it was it was incredible.
Speaker 4: It was It was these lovely musicians from Athens called Hope for a Golden Summer that were who I had known from when I lived there back in the day, and it was just that fit was perfect.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I do wish.
Speaker 4: It was available, but I'm really proud of those those folks.
Speaker 2: For for the work that.
Speaker 6: It was lush and gorgeous and and and when I did my first season of Skyland like that, That's what I was thinking, was like, like, what are the influences that that I had growing up? And I had these cousins who were always like going to matinees at CBGB's and like had introduced me to like all this like shoegaze and and then like rap and and and then my being Indian, like I didn't want to just have like the the stock sitar and and thub blood tracks right like, like I wanted real fresh music and and so like i'd say, there's a direct line from working with you to like the way some of these things feel.
Speaker 4: It's very kind and it sounds fantastic. And we're burying the lead here a little bit. We should probably talk right away just about the subject matter around this season of Skyline Drive how to Live Forever, And then a little later we're going to get into something. I think Ben and I are both excited to talk about this idea of the organ trail.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: I mean I can just just to take us back step, like the first season ended up, I wanted to do something about astrology, because astrology was this thing that like, you don't believe it in the US, but but or it has become more and more popular, but certainly as a kid, it was this thing that was a complete joke. And then when you go to India, people are basing their entire lives on it, Like people were having c sections and ordering gynecologists to like their obg y ns to deliver a baby within a ninety second window because they felt that was what would make the you know, the life of this child the best possible. And for me, like being first generation in the US, like it was one of these things where I always had to translate each other's cultures to to you know, like go to India and have to be the translator for US culture and US like for India. And I wanted to make a show that wasn't for believers or skeptics, but was just really uh fascinating with the topic and all the sort of like strange aspects from Reagan and his nuclear de.
Speaker 5: Proliferation, like.
Speaker 6: Linking back to his astrologer basically telling him that this is the moment he should do it. To baseball teams in California deciding whether or not they're certain between two players. Managers were actually using astrologers to dictate like which players they'd use, and they don't go on the record on this, but like they it is true and and so you know, I wanted to do this whole lark and then I and then I went to this astrologer and Queens had this like really wonderful reading, but in it he told me my dad was going to fall ill. And then thirty minutes after it, like my dad texted me that this metastatic cancer had spread through his body and only lived for three weeks after that. And so like it started, it was this idea of like what happens when you don't leave in astrology, but astrology keeps.
Speaker 5: Happening to you. And I didn't know where to go from there.
Speaker 6: You know, I love that I did this season, and I thought it was a fascinating topic that you pull people into this sort of cultural phenomenon. And as I was looking through old tapes, I noticed that that an astrologery had told me that I probably would only live to sixty maybe sixty four at the latest, and no fire them. Yeah, but that's you know. So I found this old tape and at the same time, I realized that, like, you know, when you turn there are two moments in your life, one in your sort of mid forties and one in your early sixties where your body goes through precipitous declients. And so being forty six, I've started feeling, you know, like that, you know, I don't recover the way I used to, Like my body is a little more achy there, you know, my metabolismally isn't the same. But feeling that and then realizing there's this explosion of science around us, right and this whole new wave of really often wealthy people who are invested in science, who think that they're going to live forever, and they have this real sense that, like you know, they missed the age of exploration and they want to be around for to sail the stars essentially, and they're hoping that various therapies, life extension techniques, et cetera will have them live well into their mid hundreds, and many people think that they'll live more than that.
Speaker 3: So let's stay on this for a second, Mangesh, because we have in our research, we had the weird moment that happens to a lot of us nowadays, where we say, Okay, we're listening to this amazing story for the ears right, this is amazing fact based storytelling. And then we have that moment where we look at each other and go, oh wait, we could just call Manes and ask him.
Speaker 4: So this is also I mean, we talk about so much of this stuff just organically over the years.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're all.
Speaker 4: Incredibly fascinated by life extension technology is like red meat for critical thinking conspiracy discussions.
Speaker 2: So it's so awesome to see you.
Speaker 4: Kind of point your laser focused research brain at that topic and it gives us so much to think about and then to chew on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, second thing that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You travel in the course of this season. You travel to all sorts of places physically and cognitively. You're talking to some of the world class experts at elite research institutions like Harvard and MIT and so on, and then you're also going a little off the grid to biohacker communities, to what I'm still convinced is a very strange commune. And you've got to tell us really quickly, in your exploration of what you call longevinauts, what are some of the most surprising things you learned.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean for us, it really started from a place of not picking apart the stuff by really just trying to understand and understand people's motivations and this very human sense of wine.
Speaker 5: To live forever.
Speaker 6: I think what's fascinating about it is that it stretches so many spaces, right, Like, Like one of the things we did was we ended up talking to two philosophers who were debating whether endless life could be a meaningful one.
Speaker 5: And and to me, like the fact that like one.
Speaker 6: Of the California like the University of California systems, like he's like a like a dean and this emeritus like he's arguing that you could have an endless life that's meaningful. Is incredible, right, And and then the other person who's considered this, like he's at Cambridge and he's this philosopher who is called a mortality curmudgeon, thinks that you could have a radically extended life. But like life changes so often every one hundred years, like that you know, you could be considered a good brit because you were a colonist, you know, like you could be considered a good brit because you were the head of a household and someone who controlled his wife and family, but now you know, you're someone who has to change diapers and things like that, and like the changing morality and customs and ideas make it very hard to cling onto what a good and meaningful life is. And watching these two people debate is just like stunning, right, and so like, just on the philosophical side of it, my roommate in college was a philosophy major, and everyone was always like, you know, what are you going to do with a philosophy major when you grow up? And now you go to Silicon Valley and every single thing hints on philosophy, right, like like can should you upload your your life and your consciousness? And is that a version of you? There are twenty versions of you? Right, Like if you you know, we're going to talk about organ replacement and body replacements and clones, and like every single thing touches on ethics and it's all philosophy, and it's it's fascinating that like in some ways that's where the show started with how there's always been the sense not only like a perpetual sense of snake oil that was marketed to people, but also this sense that there's always been a quest to live forever, whether that's through religion and the idea of a soul or like you know, reincarnation, ideas of elixirs.
Speaker 5: Right, Like, all.
Speaker 6: These things are ancient ideas that that sort of of perpetuated our lives because we can't figure out how to accept our life stopping.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny really quickly.
Speaker 4: I've been super enjoying the new season of Interview with the Vampire, the Vampireless stat The songs are fantastic. But one thing that vampire lore and you know, fiction has always bumped up against is like, what is it like to live forever? Functionally speaking, to see all the ones that you love pass away and have to kind of reinvent yourself over and over and over again. And it does seem that inevitably these individuals sort of head towards a life of nihilism and hedonism. And it just feels like the Silicon Valley mentality of it all has a little bit of that in it as well, this idea of like, well, yeah, living forever sounds great, but then what do you do with that life? And it's sort of you start seeing like the Elon musks of the world where it just feels like enough is never enough. And I'm fascinated by the philosophical side of what living forever even looks like.
Speaker 6: I think you're absolutely right, right, there's this like incredible philosophical side to it. There's a side of like, you know, is it natural and not natural to do this? Right?
Speaker 5: Like that's always been a part of it.
Speaker 6: I think the other thing that ends up coming up before we even get to the science of it is the economics of it, right, like the idea that you can end up with, you know. I talked to this guy, Will Maher who's at Harvard, and he's in the Public policy school there and and health school there and and.
Speaker 5: He is brilliant.
Speaker 6: And one of the things he was talking about is that, you know, when you're testing longevity science and ideas of like metabolism, fasting, et cetera, you are often working with parasites and and and two types of worms, these sea elegance and then these the other type of worms called the Loa loa and the two worms are almost functionally identical, and the ways you can play with them are identical, except that the sea elegant has a very very short lifespan, and the loa Looa has this enormous lifespan, and and it's because one of them lives in a costed environment the other doesn't. And and what's he ses is essentially the splitting of species. That's that you know, may happen with with the ways that longevity, the ways that people uh in these communities are moving to islands like Prospera, and these exit communities where where they they'll be siloed and they'll and the ways that the rest of us will emerge, the ways the rest of our health will be taken care of, could be vastly different. And that's also really stunning.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. Let's let's hang there for a second, because we've had some very interesting conversations with old professors of ours about the exact points you're bringing up, not just the idea of a species driven kind of inequality right or island effect, but also the hard cold truth that historically most societies are designed with the assumption that people die at a certain time, right. And we see this in we see this in populations that are maybe not hitting what we call like their sustainable reproduction rate right where the population is largely getting older and even now without amazing sci fi immortality, we see countries having to ask serious questions about what happens when they're demographics are up ended and the economic inequality aspect of this is one of one of my favorite parts of your exploration in this season of Skyline Drive, because we're not just focusing on the science, right, We're not just throwing stats. We're talking about, as you said, sure, philosophy, what it means to be human and uh, with that, i'd like to bring uh break some attention to one of our favorite parts of your Organ Trail episode. You plucked something that we clocked as well. Man, our buddy Daddy v Over in Russia is apparently trying to live forever.
Speaker 4: There's some there was some hot mic conversations, right uncle, That's that's what what hipped me to this. But I would love to know more because that was really the only time that that's across my radar. But yeah, it makes sense, but how how exactly is he getting into this world?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We had this just so you know, make We had this moment where we were talking about this hot mic story that Noel mentioned and eventually we shrugged our shoulders, and we said, you know, maybe that's just like those guys version of small talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way that we shows as your blood boy, what's your life? Exactly? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So could you tell us a little bit more about this Live Forever initiative or what's going on with Vladimir Putin?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, I mean what's funny is that, like I had done this interview with Russian journalists who had worked at a publication called Proect, and he has actually been banned. He's excommunicated essentially from from Russia. And and the reason is is because he was reporting on Putin's health and and Putin's health is so secretive, right, so much of his identity is based on him being shirtless, him being like, you know, hunting and this virility right completely, and and and I don't know if you ever saw this, but there's this incredible photo journalist who had like gone around and taken all these pictures of kids who were putin stands essential and like in in their rooms. Where these like photos of like Putin shirtless. It was like it was basically like lad so pro act, right, he's writing for this thing, and and and he is discovering all this stuff, and and along the way he realizes that like Putin has uh, there's a whole team of people around Putin all the time. And and he realizes that actually they're all doctors and and and he and there are these periods where Putin will disappear and they show old coverage in in the Kremlin. Uh. But he finds that not only is Putin traveling to his houses, but in various places around Russia, but near them in the hotels, there are these contracts that he finds where twelve doctors are staying at a time. And and so what they discovered through various like means was was that like that Putin was getting various types of cancer treatments and surgery, uh, including a thyroid surgery, et cetera. So they kind of cracked the wall on on on what is going on with Putin's health, but what he hadn't quite figured out and hadn't quite pinned. And along the way there are other crazy things, right like like Putin's taking baths in in deer, in this dear blood extract and in Siberia right like like they're there are all all sorts of things that are sort of like folk ideas that circulate to show his virility. But what happens is that like he, he knows that his daughter, Putin's daughter is is very into genetic manipulation and and and and epigenetics type of stuff.
Speaker 5: And and uh.
Speaker 6: And it doesn't quite come out until a little later, but there's this conversation that takes the world by storm, right. It's this hot mic between Putin and Uh and she and you realize that Putin has always been obsessed with longevity, that he does not want to let go of control. This is well speculated and well reported on within Proect et cetera. And then what comes out on the Wall Street Journal is that Putin has basically invested in two different types of organ farms for humans.
Speaker 5: And in the in the leaked.
Speaker 6: Conversation, Putin and she are basically saying that you can continue living to one hundred and fifty if you keep replacing your organs, right, if you continuously cycle them out, kind of like parts of a car. And they laugh, but they both acknowledge it's true. What hadn't been known was that Putin had been investing in this for quite a while now, and that he has this twenty five billion dollars initiative that supposedly for all people, but really is for one person.
Speaker 3: Okay, just like when he a few years back the government of Russia created a law that said any Russian president, whoever they may be, is immune from prosecution for us. You know what, like who whomever? That guy or the lady. Maybe this is okay, this gets us to the hot button issue here, because anybody who's a fan of science fiction has read about the idea of cloning organs, and we know that there are already tremendous serious issues with the organ transplant industry as it stands today, right, exploitation of the poor, the fact that even in the best of situations, a transplant may not take for one reason or another. But it seems like the idea of cloning organs comes with its own bevy of ethical albatrosses. So real quick for us, Mango, can you tell us I know this is a softball, but people need to hear it. Can you tell us a little bit about the headline issues with cloning human organs?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, like you said, they're just the medical issues, right, Like the the idea of trying to take an organ from someone who was a foreign person in a way and a foreign body and and inserted into you like like makes the ability to host the organ more difficult. So the idea is that cloning, obviously, like makes it more smooth. If if I've got a clone of myself that has been built to replace my heart, that that's that, I guess makes the surgery more smooth and and hopefully the implementation. But obviously the ethics of whether that clone has consented is very difficult. The pain you're putting the clone into. Also the idea that these clones don't grow in petri dishes. They have to be birth, and so the idea that someone is giving birth to a clone of me for the specific purpose of organ donation, you know, is really tricky ethically. I mean, I think you know that I was talking to one person who was saying, like, you know, we for a long time believe that any sort of transplantation was unnatural, right like hearts, and we we have a hard time surrendering to autonomous cars in a way, right like, So maybe this is just something that we will grow accustomed to because there's a need for in the future.
Speaker 5: And then on.
Speaker 6: The other side of it, there's a whole bunch of people whould say, like, these science fiction books were written for the express purpose of letting us know that these are the dangers and implications, and instead these people have taken the wrong lessons. All these people who grew up on this science fiction have like picked up on the wrong ideas for the wrong reasons, and so.
Speaker 3: Kind of like naming a company palante here.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Well, there's so many examples of these like Silicon Valley types not getting the whole point of the science fiction that they're obsessed with, and naming things after like what is ultimately dystopian like cautionary Tales, you know, like I forget the exact series that he's into, but it's like he kind of seems to have missed the point. I do wonder though, I mean, obviously we're not quite there yet in terms of like fully, you know, birthing clones in order to harvest their organs, and of course the ethical questions there are many.
Speaker 2: We do have.
Speaker 4: Examples though of like you know, growing in a human ear on a lab rat or various like lab grown organs. Harvesting things like that, Is that to you a little less ethically fraught or do you feel like that's sort of the middle ground. Is that maybe where some of this research should go into.
Speaker 6: That may be, yeah, and that is one of is creating a basically a pig farm where the pigs are growing the organs for us within them and harvested for that, right, And you can see how that's a clear sort of middle ground between the two spaces. I also think that, you know, the mice stuff is really fascinating in terms of on one hand, like the transfer isn't significant, right, Like it's not clear, like the amount of advances you can make in mice and the way that transfers to human is so small in some ways, it's only like twenty percent or something. But on the other hand, like what's been starting to be Like as I started this, it's funny because now the odyssey is a big thing, But when we started this, we were thinking, like, oh, what if we treated this kind of like an odyssey, right, like where we first went to the land of Boston where it was real science and and sort of science that government was funding and science for everyone right in a way, And and then we left those shores and went to California, where there was wildness and then we went to let you know, and we're trying to build this story that way in a sense and and then ultimately returning home. But the thing about like the science I saw on an MIT in particular that was stuying to me was that, like there were all these non invasive techniques that ended up being really incredibly fruitful. And so like one was I walked into this lab of this brilliant neuroscientist named Lewisie and you walk into the MIT labs and they've got a little screen with what looks like mice at a rave And I was like, why is there a strobe light and mice going on and whatever? And she said that basically, they figured out that if you flash lights at a certain frequency and you have certain pulses, that you can reduce the effects of Alzheimer's on people. And like so it started in mice and that's transferred to humans and now there's going to be a mask that people can wear and headphones and through that pulsing, basically like your symptoms of Alzheimer's will decrease, which is just unbelievable, right, And this is like, you know, before we even get to the science fiction of it all, This non invasive therapies are incredible. And then the other thing she was doing is like without growing clones, she had figured out like how to create something called my brain, which was creating these organoids of your brain using six stem cells that basically mimicked your brain, and so they could give it different medicines and therapies and see how your body specifically would react, so you don't need like a brain transfer or whatever. Like from I realized brain transfer. We actually talked to someone who is uh is trying to replace a brain cell by cell. But but I mean, this is just miraculous medicine. And the fact that like if you have Alzheimer's or nergent generative diseases that you know, in a lab they could replicate your brain and figure out which medicine and which specific cocktail is perfect for you.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating.
Speaker 7: It is Hey, tennessee Pealt here. Noel Ben and Minguesh will be back right after a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 3: One quick point we have to make, which doesn't spoil the show too too much. We were talking about this off air, you Nolan myself at some parts of this investigation, especially in the Oregon Trail episode. Dude, you sound like a spy and you one of the nicest, most personable folks that we know, so the best questions, right, So the question becomes, we see this multiple times right in that episode of particular, but in a lot of your other explorations in this season of Skyline Drive. We have to ask why are so many people so hagey about this stuff? Like I remember the moment where you said, Okay, this guy gave me a lot of good information. But whomever they were, they were not comfortable beat on air, so I got my cousin to do voiceover.
Speaker 6: There are so many people who will tell you off camera like what they are hearing in this space, But don't they both want access to sort of like they want to be on that island, right, They want to have access to the better life, et cetera. They want to be able to have their companies funded. But then you hear about these like mansions where people use words like eugenics without any sort of worry and and they actually think it's a good thing to be able to use it, like it has no connotation from the past, and and like it's really crazy to like hear the sort of ways people are thinking about the future and the ways that people think about a future that isn't inclusive.
Speaker 5: And I'm saying the way is.
Speaker 4: That not The elephant in the room though, that this is not for everybody, that this is like it's so research funding dependent and like who is who are the ones that are providing that money and then literally doing it, So it's just for them, and they're like, you know, in their community. I mean, this is important research that could save lives of everybody in the world, but it's not for everybody in the world.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 6: I think one of the craziest things to me was realizing, like what this is like in practice, right where where you have a researcher who was at Yale, the superstar who was publishing NonStop papers, right goes to work for Alto's labs there for four or five years, hasn't published a paper since, you know, like and I mean there's maybe one paper that was a holdover or whatever.
Speaker 5: But the fact that.
Speaker 6: Like all of this is being done in private in a way where none of us will be able to access it unless we pay you know, extraordinary amounts of money, right, Like, is difficult to stomach and the idea that, like the way that the story is told is like, oh, we're doing something that's good for humanity, it's good for the world, this is for everyone, et cetera. When you know that the barriers to entry are going to be significant.
Speaker 2: Look at space tourism.
Speaker 4: I mean you could you could draw a parallel with space tourism and like who is that for? And this idea, this is for the better men of all, But it's just the Katie Perrys of the world that are doing on TV and making such a pr stunt out of it. But it's like you or I can't afford to do that as a bit of a joy ride. But it seems like there's parallels there. But this is much more consequential.
Speaker 6: And we could also think about smallpox one hundred percent, And I think there are two things there, right, Like one is that there are actually a lot of medicines that could be used widely, right like met foreman is one that that is very very cheap. It can be very beneficial for everyone over like fifty right, like can lengthen our lives supposedly, but they can't get the money for studies or research for it because you can't patent it anymore, right, Like it's too cheap, no one can make the money off it, and so like no one will fund it, and that becomes a real difficulty. And so you have people who are trying to make an economic argument for why to invest in longevity drugs. But those arguments are like, well, if you can get someone who's in their sixties to work for five more years, ten more years, whatever it is, right, then that's benefit. And it's strange that the only way that we'll invest in something that is really for humanity and to reduce suffering is through making the argument that these people should continue working, right, And so's that's one thing. But ben to your earlier point, right, like you were saying about smallpox, and the idea that like we got these extra thirty years of life come from things that affect everyone, whether it's like smoking policies, or like hygiene or or like vaccines or seatbot laws, right, Like these things have affected all of us and given us all a better life ultimately, And and so like the idea that like we're going to prolong our lifespans by not including everyone is is kind of tricky and and uh and ultimately false, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ultimately self defeating. You know, there's a there's this thing that we've been wrestling with on this show quite recently, which is that technological innovation is key, right, it drives the human experiment forward. But that technological innovation only is only worthwhile if society evolves in step with it. Right, So if we had a smallpox vaccine, for instance, that was limited to the one percenters of their day, then smallpox would still be a huge problem happening constantly to everyone who wasn't wealthy. And with this, we have to ask, you know, given the secrecy, right, given the fact that people are moving, as you said in stealth mode, everybody wants to be on the island. If the research continues as it continues now, right, and there's no interruption, civilization doesn't collapse or anything like that, do you think, to nol and ize earlier questions here, do you think that we're looking at a dystopic society? Like is there a possibility of true speciation? You know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know exactly.
Speaker 6: What I do know is that, like you know, in a time when billionaires used to pass away and their legacy was philanthropy, right, like that you would leave money to create a library, all the betterment of society, et cetera. Right, if the prospect of you living to two hundred, three hundred, et cetera, is there, there's no incentive to like share any of your wealth, Right, it just becomes more about hoarding. And and if that becomes the the way that of the future, right like, it becomes very difficult to imagine how the capital gets spread in a way that the lesser thans or the other halves.
Speaker 5: Benefit.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that I think it's a real question. I think it's one that like scientists are flagging right now. And and I think that on the other hand, right, like, you see a place like Prospera and it doesn't have the sort of which is an island in off Honduras where it's basically this libertarian paradise and it's created to move medical trials much faster and operates on bitcoin and all these things. They can attract enough people to actually create a civilization there, And so like, I don't you know, on one hand, maybe you get this like elite.
Speaker 2: Group.
Speaker 6: On the other hand, how big is that and how does the rest of society, Like, how do they even function as a society is confusing to me.
Speaker 4: We talked about that on a Strange News episode not terribly long ago, about that community, and I just to remember some of those questions coming up. I mean, you know, it reminds me of just the way that like you know, AI or machine learning, whatever you want to call it, has the potential to replace so many jobs, and that's being pushed forth as like a feature, not a bug, because of course then those jobs can be parlayed into other jobs and then everyone's going to be benefit from it in the end. But that just seems very high in the sky, especially if there is no groundwork laid to actually take care of the people, you know, in the face of this new technology that could replace quote quote menial jobs, Like where are those people gonna go?
Speaker 2: What are the people gonna do?
Speaker 4: If there's no universal basic income or some sort of societal safeguard, then those people are just gonna be left out in the cold. And that seems to be the case too with this life extension technology, Like what happens to the rest of us who would become like mortals At this point, you know, it just seems like there's no framework in place to protect those people, and that is to me, ben I think where that notion of the dystopian version of these things goes. And it seems like the super wealthy are always they're the ones that are doing all the biggest damage to the economy, for the regular people, to the environment, for the regular people, because they've got their bunkers set up, they're gonna be okay, their family line is going to be protected.
Speaker 2: Like, how do we safeguard against that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't eat money, right, But that's one of the things that maybe escapes the oligarchical class in Noll. I think that's such such a phenomenally accurate, important and disturbing point. We have to we have to take this to a little bit of a personal note for you here, Mango, knowing what you know now after these investigations, this spy level research as well, Uh, would you ever consider going to some of those gray market solutions for a new organ.
Speaker 2: I don't for a family member.
Speaker 4: I could see it if someone was gonna pay, if it was yeah, I'm sorry, I don't mean to to just that's the only way you know, And you've even heard like in in Asia, for example, there's all these films about black market organ trading rings and about people that can't get the through the proper channels, going through these gangs and things to get, you know, a liver for their loved one. I mean, I could just see in desperation, maybe it would be attractive, But I don't know, man, what do you what do you think?
Speaker 2: Mango?
Speaker 6: And that's what that market is right now, right like it is not it is not farming organs for wealthy people so they can just like replace things while they're still working but starting to decline, right it is the desperation that drives that space right now.
Speaker 2: But I don't, I mean, I don't.
Speaker 6: It's hard for me to imagine that knowing the consequences and the difficulties of like obtaining the organs, how you facilitate the like given everything else, right, the ethics of it, even the logistics of it are really difficult to like manage, right like it's but I don't think. I don't think i'd feel comfortable playing in that space. I mean, on the other hand, right like, if you take it at a much much much lower level, right like the market for peptides and red a true tide et cetera. Right, is a gray market, and people are very comfortable with that. There's no ethical there's less of an ethical consequence with those things, right, or.
Speaker 4: Even compounded GLP one drugs, like people that can't get it through the pharmaceutical industry and then through insurance, they do these compounded labs, which are you know, kind of rowned upon them by your physician and they'll say, I don't know what's in those, but people are still you know, chomping at the bit to get those because they're significantly more affordable. And I just think there's a parallel there as one mentioning the peptides and a lot of these quote unquote new super drugs that are like changing people's lives. Everyone wants them. You got to you got to be able to get them, and they're going to get them in one way.
Speaker 6: And and and it's it's just fascinating to see like how many people between I think COVID and and the distrust of uh, the government and and the ways that like people who should have been adults weren't adults, you know, for for for the rest of the country, et cetera. Right, Like there's a real distrust well said and so you have people who are like PhDs and economics and like like people who are like people who are just taking their health in their own hands, right, And and it's interesting to see like people use chat ept as their doctors and they you know, they they they put all their information in and all their blood tests and they do all the work themselves. But then they come up with their own solutions to problems. And I don't think that's gonna slow down.
Speaker 4: To dude, I didn't know that you could do this. I'm so sorry, Mango. I just got a body scan. I've been like on a bit of a fitness kick, and I got one of these Dexa scans that like shows you your body content, fat content, visceral fat, muscle, bone density, all that stuff, much more precisely than.
Speaker 2: Like you know, at home kind of body scanner scale could do.
Speaker 4: And I was very curious about some of the aspects of it that I didn't fully understand and I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: I did ask KATGBT about it, and.
Speaker 4: It asked me to upload the document and I did, and it analyzed the crap out of it.
Speaker 2: And I know it's a slippery slope.
Speaker 4: I know it's there's maybe some knock on consequences of using it and being that transparent and putting your personal stuff in there, But there is part of the benefit of it that does outweigh the sketchy parts of it. And I don't trust my physician to a certain degree because they're just churning and burning, moving people through the system in and out. It doesn't feel like there's any kind of personal touch. And like, you know, my father passed away due to inattention by physicians, and so yeah, I relate to that.
Speaker 2: I truly relate.
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't think that's an uncommon thing, right Like, as as as doctors have less and less time for us, right, like, that that becomes the thing. It's it's funny, right, like, on one hand, how much information is good information?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Like, because I did a DEXA scan too, I had a doctor talk me through it all the elements, and then I was talking to like a woman in Silicon Valley and she was like, I just think all these scans are horoscopes for tech bros. Right and and and You're like, at a certain point, there's like so much information that you know, like like and it's not you know, you're chasing like little strands of things that may or may not be determinative. The other thing is like I talked to a professor who's working on body clocks and and these like clocks that tell you how your organs are aging, et cetera. And I did two of these, and right now you can send your same information to the same place and get too wildly different. Right the clocks are not accurate at all. And I was asking him, like, where in the technology are we? Like are we at the like the Lisa the Apple two CE, Like where are we He was like, We're not even the garage yet, Like, and and the idea that like we're basing so much of our medicine on and our ideas and our diagnosis on these things that are like completely inaccurate, is is we're not you know, they might be directionally accurate, but not like you can't replicate them.
Speaker 4: I'm looking for trends. I'm not making life or death chain choices based on the scan. I was just curious, and I'm going to continue doing the work that I'm doing and working out and all of that, but it's just neat to be able to track trends and know that you're making progress rather than necessarily being pinpoint accurate or causing me to make some sort of life, you know, medical decisions.
Speaker 2: I'm was more curious. There are some people do take it as gospel.
Speaker 6: I did the same thing, right, and it was helpful. It was like interesting to see, like and confirm things that I'd guessed and and and to like pay attention to other things that I hadn't thought about, right, like, that's it is valuable. It's not that and and and I think you're right about the AI thing. I mean, like health insurance is going to be eaten by AI because they made doctors inaccessible and inattentive, right, Like, it is something that it's a it's a situation that has you know, self propelled itself.
Speaker 7: We're going to take one more quick break and then won't be back with more from Nash.
Speaker 5: I've got a step is back.
Speaker 3: You're really quickly bansh up because we're using some terms that are very familiar to us, and we may arguably be a bit bubbled after looking into this.
Speaker 2: Uh, could you you could could.
Speaker 3: You describe for everybody what a gray market is and then tell us a little bit about what if any legislation is in you know, in the mix or up and coming regarding organ transplants. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So so a gray market is kind of the space between a black market and the regular market that just isn't being paid attention to that closely, and and so you can get away with Like one of the things I did on the show was in this quest to understand if wealthy people are doing organ transplants, people like Putin et cetera. Right, Like, we went to this white hat hacker who who showed us just how easy it is to get drugs online from you know, very expensive cancer drugs to to to peptides to what testosterone right testosterone, to various IV drugs.
Speaker 5: I mean, like it was it was surprising.
Speaker 6: And what I thought was like, oh, this all exists on the dark web, right, like places that that are super secretive and and and ilicit in in in a major way. What I hadn't realized was that like you can just order them online fairly easily, and and they're all these sites that guide you to like which bank accounts to use, which uh which FedEx ups, which which transfer systems to use, like how to get it close to your house but not to your house, so it's not pointed like, but there's a massive, massive market for all the drugs that that are being and mostly pharmaceuticals, not like cocaine right like like, but but things that are legal somewhere but aren't legal here, and and the transfer of that right there. And so that's how I've been referring to the gray market.
Speaker 5: And so it's like my.
Speaker 6: Friends in California who are doing various peptide stacks, et cetera, and ordering them from China and Russia. They're not under any great scrutiny from the police or or Interpol or anything like that. But but and it and it's so common that a lot of people are doing it. But but people who these are people who paid their taxes and and you know, otherwise live by by all the rules of society in terms of organ transplants in that space, et cetera. I think that the current administration and and some of where this stuff blends with MAHA, has has increased a sort of right to try movement, right where one of the libertarian ideals is that as long as you're not hurting other people, you should be able to experiment on your own body and uh, and that and sort of the speed of which drugs you can use at which phases of clinical trials, et cetera. And and the access to that is something that has increased. And and there are drugs right now that are in the approval process. But people have seen the New York Times write about them, they've seen communities online using them, and so they know these drugs are going to be released in the next year, like red a true tide, right, And all these people are taking it in Silicon Valley because they feel like it's safe enough at this point, and there's a great market for drugs like that.
Speaker 4: And who are you to tell me what to do with my body, big government, they say, I mean, I'm kind of with you on that for sure.
Speaker 3: Two, when you are exploring this stuff again, we're not blowing smoke here, folks. This is a home run and we've listened with rapt attention. When you are exploring this stuff, you have a lot of conversations that make it to air where you're asking people investors, tech bros. Or the tech techarate and researchers. You're saying, well, what is the future, what is the future of longevity? And in this case the organ trade look like. So one of the questions we have to close on here is when the audience is exploring this story with you, what do you hope what do we hope people take away from it?
Speaker 5: That's a really good question.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we are ultimately choosing what We're watching a lot of futures be laid out in front of us and trying to figure out which ones we want to indulge in. Right which is the future we want to live in? And I think that things are moving at such a clip in so many ways that's hard to tell what's real and what's hype. And I think that even you know, I chase down this story about cloning, which is really that this company R three Bio has. It's been using a deck in Silicon Valley about full body replacement. And the idea is that instead of transferring organ by organ, which is a laborious process and as we talked about, like the organs don't always take what if you could just transplant your head onto a younger version of yourself. And the pitch was that they would be in the very distant future that one of the possibilities is that they could clone a version of you and create it with no sentience, so all the brain function was knocked out. But ultimately it would be a body for you the billionaire, to transfer your head onto this new body, and aside from moisturizing your face, et cetera. Right, there's very little to worry about because it's just one surgical snip. Right, and we've seen, you know, since the seventies, people have been have known that you can take like one monkey's head and put it on another monkey's body and see like the eyes move and the mouth open and like, you know, and it can live for eleven days, twelve days. The idea is that you know, now sciences has advanced so much that one surgical snip and and you know, various things the blood brain barrier like would allow the advance of this technology. And supposedly they've done it with mice. I don't know if it's true or not. Like it's hard to it's hard to get real answers from some of these people because they are in stealth mode. But as soon as you know, I talked to this person, and then Wired did a story about them, and then MIT did a story and then but in the time in between they've sort of walked back everything they claim to have done and claim they're doing because it's so scary. And I think that's the other hard part is that a lot of a lot of people working on these technologies aren't very good at reading the room in terms of what They're very good at reading what the bitcoin billionaires are are interested in the future. They're not good at reading the room for the rest of us.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry I kept darkly chuckling there, guys, because as soon as you said the head transplant thing, I was just picturing a future TMC article where they're like.
Speaker 2: Here's the dead giveaway.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the scar right there by the neck, and it's the fact that the head is eighty and the body's.
Speaker 2: Twenty four and it's got the neck bolts. It's got to the next bolts. Yeah, also very futurama ahead.
Speaker 5: And we couldn't stop thinking about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, man, we could, you know, we could go on, you know, we could go on and on about this.
Speaker 6: I mean the thing is right, like, like the steps before there are really fascinating because they're thinking about, like, well, you can't test on primates, so what if you could do this with a sea of primates and create these clones and have these testable like primates that there's no sentience, right, you could come up with vaccines for something like COVID in a matter of weeks because you can test them and use AI like cooked up to these bodies and and you know, like that's interesting. I don't know if that's a future that will happen soon or never, or or in a very long time, but but you know, on one hand, these people are thinking about like really fascinating applications. On the other hand, it's hard to know like at what point which futures will accept and which futures biology will actually allow for.
Speaker 3: Well, so yeah, nailed it, Yes, And I think that's where we get to We get to our rabbit hole. Folks, please join us in our exploration skyline drive how to Live Forever and then, guess, thank you so much for being first off, for being one of the coolest dudes we know, but also more importantly, thank you for bringing this to disturbing story to light.
Speaker 5: You have to meet more people. You have to start meeting more people.
Speaker 2: Come on, you know, I'm so thrilled.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry Matt wasn't here, but I love just seeing Dylan on the screen too. Is my favorite Tennessee as.
Speaker 2: You call it, but Tennessee, Pa, Yes, Tennessee it is.
Speaker 5: It is wonderful to be here.
Speaker 6: I love you guys, love your show, and honor to be chatting with you.
Speaker 2: The pleasure is at least.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we did the math man guess how to getur Folks Skyline Drive. The newest season, How to Live Forever, is available now wherever you find your favorite shows. We would love to hear your thoughts. Is this a brave new world for better or worse? How will the research continue? Should it continue?
Speaker 2: How far would you go to live Forever? Yeah? Let us know?
Speaker 4: Find us on line at the handles Conspiracy Stuff or Conspiracy Stuff Show, depending on which social media platform is your favorite. You can also give us a phone call. Why not do that one A three three std WYTK. Leave a voice message I believe you got three minutes ish, give yourself a cool nickname.
Speaker 2: Make sure to let us know.
Speaker 4: We can use your voice on the show, and you might just hear yourself one of our weekly listener mail episodes. If you don't want to do any of that, why not just send us a good old fashion email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, yet out afraid. Sometimes the void rights back. We like mangesh love random facts. It's actually a big part of our friendship. So if you would like to send us a random fact, we will send one to you in return. So join us out here with the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.