Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast is going Around the NFC in forty eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Or one hundred and fourteen from the Chris Westling podcast studio, It's Around the NFL. Dan Hands is here, got heroes? Greg Rosenthal, what did you tap the table for?
Speaker 1: I just was excited. It's like the show starting.
Speaker 2: Oh, when you make eye contact and you tap the table, of course, I'm gonna think you're trying to tell me something.
Speaker 3: I was just I was just like, tough start going, You're the You're the tough start.
Speaker 1: You're the tough start.
Speaker 2: Mark Sessler and uh Patrick Clayband the pat.
Speaker 1: You're the tough start is an incredible response.
Speaker 2: You know what else is incredible that no one else is an incredible response.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Patrick, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We have no music submissions to share before we get into the National Football Conference, which we'll do at three minute bursts with.
Speaker 4: Eric Roberts manning the dart gun.
Speaker 2: The trank gun by the way, Andrew Ceciliano in stable condition. That Cedar Sinai took one too many dart shots. It seemed like it didn't affect him. You guys kind of set up Andrew a little bit and you could say that it was a little unfair.
Speaker 3: If you didn't understand the rules. That just showed. Yeah, but you know, an ignorance of the process.
Speaker 2: It almost felt like and Patrick, as as someone that's just watching from the outside, on that episode, it almost was like he was targeted at points, like he was being led into a trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like he was targeted, more so as you guys placed him in front in the line of fire to take Dart after Dart, and Eric is relentless, and you know that's that's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 2: You know you could see Eric even though he doesn't have any military background. Couldn't just see Eric doing some damage, like in the middle of the two and six murdering people? No, I mean, I mean, yeah, he's he's he's taking out the enemy if if he had to, Like, I could see Art doing that.
Speaker 6: I will say that I am very rules driven, but I am also very bad at first person shooter games. I might just be like firing a lot, I'm learning a clip might not hit anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting Patrick murdering people? How about serving your country?
Speaker 4: Patrick?
Speaker 5: You can put whatever scare quotes. Where's your pin put on your pin. I support troops.
Speaker 2: He's done it, he's covered, he's safe. Let's listen to a Patrick Laibn introduction song.
Speaker 7: Wow jazzy, very nice, Yeah, I mean, lyrically, how can you What did he say after time?
Speaker 4: Momentum is not real? Is that what he said?
Speaker 2: I think that was the opening lyric, as I recall that was from Colby Night like that, as I think on the ore, I am client now because you know the bots are coming for us. There's some they got to translate some of the lyrics, but there was, as you would imagine, a lot of the content here is connected to momentum. That was no exception. Let's listen to another one, this one from Matthew Quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's from Alabama. Just Harry as Alma.
Speaker 8: Is Patrick.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, nice a shorter one, very nice voice.
Speaker 4: Anything.
Speaker 2: Patrick is so damn handsome that anything that even approximates ugliness, like he's as Harry as a Lama. It doesn't to me that line didn't ring true because his beard is immaculately groomed.
Speaker 5: Anybody takes the time to pin lyrics about me, I'm gonna appreciate it, no matter.
Speaker 1: What I understand. I've never felt like a lama. But hey, you know that's wonderful, Matthew.
Speaker 2: Let's check out this one kind of blew me away, Alex Badura.
Speaker 1: It's like a Radiohead type song.
Speaker 9: For you, Patrick Lebon, you are the main momentum. What a god, what a stuff.
Speaker 1: That's tough to top.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love just as having my own positive affirmations.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean this is an ego stroke having your own songs, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And I thought Alex nailed everything.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the momentum things a little off, but everything else I could not quibble with any of it, including Patrick being a stud.
Speaker 1: That would be my pick.
Speaker 10: I also just did an incredible self experiment to see how far I could go into the episode without saying a single word, and I think I crossed five and a half minutes, which would be a record.
Speaker 1: You were missed, You were missed.
Speaker 10: Now that you're in there, I've been told the episode it is forty eight minutes long, so I think the window begins at some point here. But I think that third song is it captures the essence.
Speaker 1: I love when I hear that more were they were all great?
Speaker 2: Well, let's listen to one more. This is from Sam Gaffigan. Okay, probably not man who's coming pah trick Clay, Bob.
Speaker 1: Who's that man who's rarely wrong?
Speaker 9: Pa trick Clay?
Speaker 7: He announces with class and fossity.
Speaker 1: That heat announces mass time's velocity.
Speaker 9: Who's that man.
Speaker 1: Who's coming on?
Speaker 4: Pah trick lay bomb?
Speaker 1: For Dan, that was a formula for momentum. That's definitely my favorite lyric. That was good.
Speaker 3: I feel like sometimes we mix it up with colleens too, like we have the main one, but then we throw in some others.
Speaker 1: I would like to hear that again. But I still think number three.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Like I think I would go to you should crack thank They're all really good but mixed CD and give that to your significant other if she's ever wondering how great you know you are, Like it's sort of a hype tape hype CD for you.
Speaker 1: I can see the look on her face.
Speaker 4: You do have to play these, Lauren.
Speaker 2: You have to play them, just as Mark says, just a reminder, Yeah, you realize, like, I know, we're busy, we got kids, like we've known each other for so long now, and sometimes just a reminder and reminder. And your wife's a wonderful woman, but like she's married to Patrick Claybo. And here are some songs as a reminder. Let's make a like you did it, you got clay Bo.
Speaker 1: I'll fix you forgets.
Speaker 2: I think we all do in our marriages sometimes what we have you know, and these songs will be serve as a reminder. And you didn't have to like this is how you frame it? Okay, you're like, god, this was so stupid. I did a podcast that it's ridiculous, but like they played these like songs about me and it was dumb.
Speaker 4: It was dumb.
Speaker 2: And then see if she takes the cheek, Okay, she probably will like what do you mean songs about you?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Also make sure that and then you just like lay it out and then watch her fall in love with.
Speaker 4: You all over.
Speaker 10: Yeah, come in hard, hard, self deprecating. Oh yes, you know you find it absurd. Yeah, you almost want to share a joke with her, but then she starts to feel something different.
Speaker 5: Just mega imposter syndrome, because which I do have, like the fact that people sat on their computers and got their instruments out and made songs for me, But.
Speaker 3: Like I would, I would turn off all the lights in the house right before dinner and then maybe get a strobe thing going and then blast it and then the lights come on and you walk into the dinner tables.
Speaker 1: He's sorry they're playing. That's that's a huge.
Speaker 2: It's like the arena rock way to do it if anyone and those are all excellent, and thank you again everybody. If anyone wants to make one, that's just for Patrick to use at home. You know what I'm saying. I like that that when you not don't throw up the arena lights. Yes, light a couple of candles, get a babysitter and then play something.
Speaker 1: Patrick would take that as well. A babysitter at home while they're at home.
Speaker 2: Get him out of the house. Yeah, okay, to the bounce house or one of those ridiculous places. So here, Sun, let's bounce here until my acl explodes. It's like, okay, great party, my Achilles is gone.
Speaker 1: Some of those places are falling into disrepair. Ground.
Speaker 5: You start bouncing a couple of ways and it's like, then, like this could.
Speaker 1: Go horribly wrong.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, have you ever gone to one of those bounce houses and not have the entire house ill within forty eight hours of going.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Plus it's a ripe fertile ground for like concussions. We're like two children out of control bang heads. And then it's like, you know, you're dealing with that a travel concussions no fun.
Speaker 2: That's I feel like we might be risking losing sponsors. But this is an important message to get out. Enough of the bounce houses. Wow, what spots you get back to the bowling out? All right, let's get into it without further ado, Patrick that you got.
Speaker 1: To be feeling good now, Yeah, I'm rifle of confidence.
Speaker 2: All right? With that said, time to go out in the NFL. Was that the Dean screen? Damn listen, we had Ross pro come up. We fast forward twelve years, get a little Dean screen. What's next?
Speaker 1: You know we're top Aaron Rodgers doing contrial myths. I don't know. All right, let's get into it. It's start with in the NFC in the east, will go east to west, just like we did with.
Speaker 2: Andrew Ceciliano over the and again Andrew is in critical but stable condition.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: You could send flowers or whatever you wish. They don't send darts, no doing, no more darts. The doctors were amazed that something like that could happen in a controlled environment within the NFL's building. And I believe there will be hell to pay, like the Otani situation. And we're like, oh yeah, you know, we'll blame it on the interpreter. We need to figure out a plan post haste on where does.
Speaker 4: It is it?
Speaker 1: Eric?
Speaker 2: Does Eric take the Eric is pressing pressing the trigger right, But you could argue that we put him in that, we put the gun in his hand. He did say he follows orders. Who clipped that off before he deletes it? All right, let's get to it. NFC East Patrick Claiban the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: The Dallas Cowboys having turnover yet again. Now Tyron Smith is going to be protecting Aaron Rodgers. We see Tony Pollard going elsewhere playing with Tajy Spears in Nashville. And my question about the Dallas Cowboys last year was Mike McCarthy taking over the play calling duties and is it a Mike McCarthy or a Kellen Moore issue or what was going on with the Dallas Cowboys offense? No more concerns about the offense, and I'm looking at the defense. With Dan Quinn out for the second year in a row, Dallas has bargain shopped in free agency. They made those late trades for Brandon Cooks as well as step On Gilmour last year. Can the Dallas Cowboys bargain hunt their way to a Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: If they're allegedly quote unquote all in, they're gonna have to in.
Speaker 3: For all these teams, it's an incomplete grade, but some teams more than others. I counted up nine players that have had significant roles on the team that either have signed else where, most of them are a couple others are just unsigned. And to this point, they haven't brought in anyone new that's gonna have a significant role except Eric Kendricks, who's kind of at the end of his runs as a as a difference making player a role player at this point. So they need like three offensive linemen. They certainly need a running back, They need some defensive tackles. Cornerback looks a little thin. I don't know if they'd bring back Stefan Gilmore. So they have a lot to do. But you know what, I actually think their personnel department deserves a little bit of credit here to give them some faith that over the last few years, like they always have a good roster. So like the Ravens, I kind of him in a weight and see mode with the Cowboys.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think losing Dan Quinn matters a lot. He clicked running that defense as well short till then. But now, Mike's if you're Mike Zimmer, you've seen a number of leave your defense and it's gonna be a bit of a different scheme. I mean, Michael Gallup is visiting with the Ravens. It's like, I guess for me, it's it's kind of a tired conversation. The Cowboys just bring me exhaustion at this point. But like you did have your owner slash GM kind of announce we're going to do everything we can to maximize our roster. And it's been the quietest of every team out there. It's been the quietest, weirdest free agency pier not like a single real notable addition so far.
Speaker 2: I think in some ways, and there are different levels to this, you know phrase, but the window closed, DAK is crazy expensive, CD is about to be insanely expensive. Parsons forget about it, gonna be the highest paid player in the league. They might end up being a situation where they highest pays two played, highest two paid players in the league on each side of the ball. And that is very hard now to build a championship roster around it. So since they couldn't get it going and get it done when these guys were younger, now it's going to be so tough.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're right, they have to absolutely nail the draft.
Speaker 3: They have won twelve games three straight years, so I don't think the window is closing.
Speaker 1: I get it, but that's like that doesn't at this point, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: The problem is they've always had a really good offensive line for the most part, and right now that looks like a weakness, which is weird.
Speaker 1: Up next, the New York Giants. The g Men, the g Men.
Speaker 4: Time out, time out?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, wow early time out.
Speaker 4: The g Man, the g Men, the g g Men.
Speaker 8: LOGI yeah, the g Men, the g Men, the G Man, the g Men, the G Man.
Speaker 2: All right, timon, Umm, I'm gonna spin positive. I'm sick of it. Rosenthal is throwing dirt all over the Giants, his own personal issues coming through.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna combat that.
Speaker 2: While everyone's burying the Giants and doing their annual springtime slurpage of Howie Roseman and the Eagles. I thought the Giants made easily the most impactful move in the division with this Brian Burns trade and then subsequent signing their defensive line has Burns a rising a star who has a next level potential. Even you have Dexter Lawrence, I mean another superstar. And Keveon Thibodeau, who's you know, personal interactions aside, had a big second year and looks like a guy that is hitting as a first round draft pick. Now they're all together and if they stay healthy. I know there's issues other places, and I know everybody wants to focus on the Saquon Left thing, but that is a game wrecking defensive line and it could lift the entire defense and win games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that is a team strength that matters a lot inside of this division. Brian Burns was a coupeta I look at. I also think Jermaine Illuminor along the offensive line is a versatile guy who adds. They need to add bodies there. So my one thing with them is you're into year three of this regime, and we know that Daniel Jones is not part of this team after this season. And in fact, it's like, I don't he feels to me like on strange soil already. I don't care about the Drew lock signing. You are sitting there high up in the draft. Do you pass on someone like JJ McCarthy who would a.
Speaker 1: Pieces around them.
Speaker 10: I don't mind that they moved on from Saqua, but it's like I would look at quarterback.
Speaker 1: I just would to match up with this solid defensive front.
Speaker 5: I just think, considering the decisions that they have made at the quarterback position and how that set them up that if they're not sold on a quarterback and you get to have your mark on the pick and the way that the franchise goes, and next year they have an opportunity to either make that defensive line that Dan was talking about even more of a strength. They could come in and add a wide receiver in these top because considering where they're picking, the quarterbacks are going to go early, a very very good football player is going to be available.
Speaker 1: They can make the rest of the team better.
Speaker 5: And I think if you add like a Romo Dunze to this group with Darius Slayton and Jadie Hyatt. You get a good group for some quarterback, whether it's Daniel Jones or somebody they get later this year. But I just think if you're reaching for a quarterback, if you're trying to solve this problem, then you're you're exacerbating.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised that there's been so much quarterback talk because like, taking the fourth quarterback when you have the six pick seems like a disaster. In a draft that has three number one wide receivers, Malikue Neighbors might still be there at number three, and they need to find their guys. I look at this, and I look at some other gms like Ryan Poles in Chicago that are entering year three, and I can see his guys. Who are Joe Shane's guys. There, guys are Gettleman's guys. They're best players. I saw, I heard that eat it and Jones. People can say all this thing about the quarterback.
Speaker 2: He's gonna get the second year on this contract and we'll see what happens after that.
Speaker 4: Okay, up next, Greggye the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Fun offseason so far for the Eagles, They've signed you know, three or four of the top thirty or forty free agents available. With Bryce Huff, I like Chauncey Gardner, Johnson coming back, Saquon is gonna be a great fit. They just keep adding little pieces, and yet I still look at it and it's like, does Vic Fangio have what he needs? Does Vic fan Gio still have the magic touch?
Speaker 4: Too? Sure?
Speaker 1: A couple of like mixed years. Uh, do they still.
Speaker 4: Have everyone hated him?
Speaker 1: Lest right?
Speaker 3: I mixed this maybe being kind like, do they still have the best roster in the NFL? Because I look at the two lines and there's maybe some questions, but they've planned ahead with Tyler Steen, Cam Jurgens on the offensive line.
Speaker 1: Hassan Redick is still there.
Speaker 3: They're probably gonna trade him, but I look at a lot of depth on both of the lines. I look at a fantasy football spectacular on offense. The secondary has some question marks, but maybe that's what the draft is for. Is this still the best roster in the league? Because I believe I don't know if it's the best roster.
Speaker 10: I cannot think of too many examples of a quality team like this with a lot of high profile parts where you're going on to the third straight year on both sides.
Speaker 1: Of the ball with a different coordinator.
Speaker 10: I mean that affects things, especially on offense, it does on defense.
Speaker 1: I want to see what happens with Reddick.
Speaker 10: I think Reddick, I think when you're Howie Roseman, I just expect him to create three or four notable moves before we get into the summer.
Speaker 1: It's like they're not done.
Speaker 5: And one of those moves seemed like an admission right with that, the way that they handled Gj's departure, like they were lost in the secondary. And maybe you can make the case that that reason for that coordinator change was because they were bad. We saw the Eagles lose a coordinator because they were good. And you know, how much confidence do you have when you saw things fall off at the end of the season. I think I still have it because Jalen was hurt. AJ was hurt. Not only were the decisions and the play calling kind of questionable down the stretch, but the players were hurt. I just don't know that Kellen Moore really excites me, and I wonder how many very talented quarterbacks are going to be saddled with Kellen Moore and have disappointing results.
Speaker 3: And it supposedly his offense. It's no longer Nick Siriani's offense.
Speaker 2: And that's that's deserve it after what happened down the stretch, and you know, you don't have Kelsey in that building, you don't have Cox in the building. And we were talking about that, you and we were talking about the Improvement Index, Greggie. They were twenty seventh in that in terms of you know, the roster losses and their drafts standing. So there is a way to look at this roster and say it depreciated in some ways as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's it is important to remember losing Jason Kelcey is a massive loss.
Speaker 1: Now I look at the rest of their losses.
Speaker 3: Fletcher Cox certainly was valuable to them, but I think they've replaced him and prepared everyone else leaving the team.
Speaker 1: I can live with that. Well, they lost.
Speaker 10: I know this is like hard to assess, but they lost like locker room leadership on a team that was in total chaos by the end of last season.
Speaker 4: Kids smart.
Speaker 2: Excited to stop talking there. That wasn't about the team, wasn't about the team. Who was the dark fired?
Speaker 1: I was just it missed Dan. I think the game Dan's jus fielder.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's are we allowed to talk?
Speaker 1: I thought we weren't allowed to talk about thought that was a conceit. It's also a complete law. It's a completely lawless.
Speaker 2: All right, let me let me uh now, you're making new rules all the challenge flags.
Speaker 3: We can talk, but it can't be about the teams. Well, what's the point challenge flag?
Speaker 1: The circus.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, you know what makes the podcast better? We can talk, it just can't be about that topic, you know what I mean? Like and in that case, I was giving Mark kudos.
Speaker 1: They like nine years in, let's just make some new rules. Well, I appreciate the compliment.
Speaker 10: I think if you're Eric, it's like the rules of this game seems to change every five or six minutes.
Speaker 4: I think more darts makes the podcast.
Speaker 2: If if now, if I would have said a point, if I would have followed up on the point Mark made darting to hell out of bounds, put me in hades with a dart?
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: With that said, more darts? Mark the Washington Commanders, they gonna keep that name. I would love to see them change that name. None of us have ever ever bought into that.
Speaker 10: I don't hate what they did in free agency at all because I started their early look at I've done that two days in a row.
Speaker 4: Too bad.
Speaker 10: I think Dorance Armstrong following Dan Quinn, Frankie Louvo, We've all talked about him, Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Chan It's like there's some veteran like identity on this team, and I think that was needed. And I like, I know, of course, like you know, you move on from your quarterback. They absolutely are taking one at number two. Daniel Jeremiah has them taking Drake May. I mean I see the Drake May like assessments are all over the map, Like I like Chris Sims hasn't in a tier below bow Nix and Michael Pennix Junior. It's like, I don't know who's going to number two. I don't know what the commanders think, but I have one questions. I think this like addition to the team kind of flew under the radar a little bit, Like you've got a new quarterback and a lot of new pieces on offense. Like do we trust like as Cliff Kingsbury someone we trust at this point to helm a rookies like opening salve into the NFL. It's like I that to me is is is a big question mark.
Speaker 5: And I don't know why we would have reason to say that we do have. I just haven't necessarily seen it.
Speaker 3: Especially a man that found a way to out of losing record with Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: And then he comes over to USC and Caleb gets worse. Right, there was a serious regression in the quarterback that's going to go number one overall. And so now the Cliff move signaled to people that always is Washington going to try to get the number one overall picked, and there hasn't been any sort of move towards that yet. And I'm just wondering what position we're putting a rookie quarterback, and if it's a rookie, if they go another direction. I'm just very confused about the team. And this is a franchise we thought we were gonna get more clarity from and it feels like we've actually gotten lot.
Speaker 10: And if ever it was not a quarterback they have Marcus Mariota, I don't think they're letting the media know at all what they're interested in, and so they're sort of a vacuum in people just speculating, which actually is a good sign.
Speaker 3: That's different than what was happening in Washington in the past. No, I don't think anyone's gonna know whether it's Jane Daniels or Drake me until drafting just fun and I think is a sign of a they're getting better.
Speaker 1: I like the approach. They've brought in so many players.
Speaker 3: Fourteen new players have come in from other organizations, eight have gone. I think that's the way to do it with a team like this, Just hope you hit on seven or eight role players. And some of the moves like like Luvu, like Armstrong. I think I've been among the best in free agency. Yeah, a lot of their.
Speaker 2: Moves haven't blown me away, but it's like, Okay, he seems useful.
Speaker 4: He seems useful.
Speaker 2: That could work. The Mariota thing blows my mind that he keeps getting a job. But otherwise I thought like they've been effective and using free agency to overhaul the roster and you have a new head coach, and it did any team need more of a kind of like a reset this year than Washington now will work. We'll see are they a lot better? We'll see but at least they're trying. And then if you hit on the quarterback, who knows?
Speaker 4: Who knows? So I give him a solid B for their offseason.
Speaker 1: So far, I'd agree. I hope they take Jayden Daniels. That's where I only know.
Speaker 2: All right, we're just getting go and see under the old rules, i'd take a dart right now.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 10: There are no rules like at this we've established that. Am I allowed to talk or just you? I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I feel like some people think the dart is a part of that music sound effect because it's so common.
Speaker 1: It's true, how's your AMMO doing?
Speaker 4: You? You fire off so many darts that I start to wonder, like where who's your unlimited never ends? One of the scariest.
Speaker 2: Things was Eric saying I'm good at taking orders like we he could be a killing machine. H as like an assassin. What was the Bill Hayter Show, Barry Roberts Sleep or Cell spin Off? All right, let's take a break and we'll get to the NFC North.
Speaker 4: All right, we are back. Let's get to the NFC North.
Speaker 2: Let's get right into it with the Chicago Bears. I'll start this one off Uh, they have improved their roster. There is no doubt about that. Love the Keenan Allen move, DeAndre Swift, cool, Kevin Bayyard, Okay, Gerald Everett nice addition to the tight end room and now everything all attention obviously turns to the number one overall pick. Everyone knows where this guy where they're going to go with this, and the barring some type of absurdity, Caleb Williams becomes that guy. So I speaking of off seasons where I give a solid B so far, I like what the Bears have done.
Speaker 4: I'd even bump them claybonto a B.
Speaker 2: Plus because the first job you have to do when you bring in a pick of this ilk, a number one overall pick, is don't surround him with trash. They they're trying to set up infrastructure to let the kid hit the ground running a las CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud. Let's see if it works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And they have a very good example from Chicago of what not to do with a quarterback that goes in the first round and how to surround him and how to provide him with the opportunity to be successful. So you think they take the lessons that they learned from the justin fields experience, and I'm looking at Keenan Allen as still a one like Keenan And of course there's there's injuries. Everybody in the league is going to deal with injuries at some point. But the way that his game is structured, he can contribute three four, I still think maybe six years down the road. And then you change DJ Moore and the way that defenses can focus on him. It's all set up there. What's the schedule like for Caleb and how are they going to facilitate him to be successful.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to see it. I love.
Speaker 10: I love also that they got Keenan Allen for a four and because their cap situation was what it was, they could absorb that salary versus him going being cut at some point, and they you know, they were able to make that trade Keenan Allen, DJ Moore. It's part a part of two parts because the second part is the draft. Obviously we know it's Caleb Williams number one barring a stunner, but then they've got the number nine, pick two, and it's like, do you just go like maybe Robot, like, do you get the best wide receiver a possible and suddenly you've got a stacked offense.
Speaker 1: So I think Gerald Everett matters too.
Speaker 3: Right, they could be at a spot where those top three receivers are off the board, and then the value doesn't seem like it's there, so they take a tackle there that's where this draft is, or they really back, or they take the top defensive player on the board. I think Ryan Pols has done the thing, which in the thing is by year three of being there, I want to have some stamp on my team. I want to have evidence that my you know, time here has been worthy, and I think he has. He's built up a defense that has an identity. Ibra Flus made it happen a year ago. But they're still very thin on the like they could use another tackle. Certainly, they could use another receiver. Keen Allen's on a one year deal and they have no third receiver, no fourth receiver, no nothing, so that they could look for another one.
Speaker 2: I mean, feels like a great time to have two top ten picks, so they it just there's reason for hope. And yes, the the fields thing turned into kind of the fiasco with the way the trade ended up playing out, but it's all in the past now and you move forward as an organization and maybe brighter days are ahare for once.
Speaker 3: The Bears are worth some hype, deserve it.
Speaker 1: So I'm watching. We're on a freaking monitor. Stopped talking before hit zero, and.
Speaker 2: As someone who's the tee up of the segment, I had put a bow on it. Then you came in.
Speaker 3: Well that's because I said, I saw the four three two one. I thought I'd get one last shot. I'm not worried about my field goal percentage, like those guys in the NBA who holded that extra half second where they.
Speaker 6: Keep shooting him, give it to me. I think it was still in the hands. Mark on the fingertips.
Speaker 2: Stronger dart for Greg Sharpshooters prerogative. Detroit Lions, Mark Sessler.
Speaker 10: I like some of the very lionsy type things that they did, like DJ Reader, really good football player to add to the defensive line, Kevin Zeitler can still play and like he is sort of a nasty, beefy human to add to their offensive line. The thing with the Lions, like last couple of years, it's like their defense kind of let them down. And I know they were better last year than the year before I do wonder if they could pull I know they went and got Carlton Davis.
Speaker 1: They re signed Emmanuel Moseley.
Speaker 10: Amik Robertson's there as well, but they have twenty six million in cap space and there is this behind door number two option. They were listed as one of six teams that had a potential interest in Lugerious Snead. He can play all over the place as a cornerback. Is it's so crazy for a team that's on the precipice of Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: You know their window is right open.
Speaker 10: Go get a difference making cornerback who could also I think if you use them correctly, he is a total quarterback nuisance. As a blitzer, it would add a whole element to a Lions secondary that looked completely different, like do you.
Speaker 4: Just go for it?
Speaker 3: They are also aware and made a statement about Cameron Sutton, their cornerback who they brought in for a lot of money last year, who's being investigated police in Florida. I've been searching for him about two weeks after in the West Warrens for a domestic violence case. So that and they release the statement. They're aware of it, and that's another thing at that position that I think is a concern. I was thinking too, they could be a spot for Justin Simmons, who's a free agent at safety. They could certainly need another safety. Uh, they've these signings. Marcus Davenport was another one, like Zeitler was a one year deal. These are all very much like, let's add a little sprinkled to get over the top on.
Speaker 1: Some high risk, hy reward one year deals.
Speaker 5: I think the departure of Jonah Jackson was something that really meant something. But think Kevin Zeitler comes over and you feel solid about that. I just in terms of the Jared Goff discussion, feels so much better about Jared Golf then sure maybe maybe?
Speaker 1: And Ben Johnson I think he might get a contract this offseason. Yeah, why not.
Speaker 5: It's there's the negatives there are vastly outweighed by thinking about Jamior Gibbs coming back his second season, knowing how to operate in the offense, and more Jamo as well on the outside.
Speaker 2: I'm more James, more James Jamo. Yeah, the defense has been the focus. Reader Davenport robertson Carlton Davis third. Okay, Davis was a big time move Now let's see if that takes the defense from back end of the thirty two, if they finished twenty fourth in the league in yards per play allowed last year to the middle or even a little bit higher, and that could be the difference for this team to getting over the hump in the NFC exciting times. Indeed, I always am a little worried though about the I mean, they've whoever whoever enters the year where it's like, oh, we just need a little more. And I think Dan Campbell said it in the blocker room, like there's no guarantee we ever get back there. And the NFC, I think is going to look better this year. As much as I like Jared Goff, he's still not one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
Speaker 10: Like that division is back, there will be tough Thorny.
Speaker 1: Indeed, technically I was seconding.
Speaker 2: His I thought you were that. See that just shows again mcnanimous. I didn't say nice job, Mark, I was actually agreeing with the which is over the deadline of the class.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't know. I'm trying to go dart for you today.
Speaker 2: You do, like our last guest, We'll see we'll see up next.
Speaker 1: The Packers with Greg Rosenthal.
Speaker 3: I struggled in this exercise thinking like, what is the big need for the Packers? Have they have they refreshed their roster that fast, that like they can do anything on draft day.
Speaker 1: Certainly they could use a safety, but they did.
Speaker 3: Just add Daru McKinney to big time money was one of my favorite moves in free agency. Left tackle I think could be one, and they've had such a good history of finding values. But you look at this roster and all it's just goody picks sprinkled up and down the draft, I mean up and down the roster. I guess cornerback would be the spot you have. You brought Keyshaw Nixon back the returner, but Jaya Alexander still around. People didn't necessarily expect that. Eric Stokes like they could get better there. And yet I look at this roster and like a lot of homegrown talent. It's a there's a lot to like, and Josh Jacobs and aj Dillon to me, is a fun combination at running back.
Speaker 1: I don't like.
Speaker 10: Josh Jacobs versus where they were a year ago running back, but that's my own personal bias. I think Xavier McKinney was one of the best signings. And it's a little bit anti Packers to go out and spend that money the way they did, but they have sprinkled. They're able to do that because they've sprinkled in so many good draft picks. And it really so much of it is like everything that happened last year poster and Rodgers is everything he was asking for before. And I think one of the bigger issues was defensive coordinator situation was becoming a lightning rod all over the place. Jeff Hafley is, you know, comes in with a better situation the secondary. I'm very inched to see how he performs because he's basically one of the rare guys that like left a head coaching job in college flat out because he was tired of college football operates.
Speaker 3: Josh Jacobs is the only player that's going to start on offense that isn't a Packers draft pick from the last five years.
Speaker 1: Yes, and crazy, and that luxury allows them to kind of do whatever.
Speaker 5: And I think that tackle spot is the place to fill and if say a JC Latham is off the board at twenty five, I think the Packers are a solid trade down candidate to try to get because if you're a believer in this whole, well, you can get a receiver anywhere. The Packers hit on almost every single one of them in the past couple of years, so that, like Goody can can do whatever, and Jordan Love gives you the opportunity to just kind of take a shot.
Speaker 4: Love is huge, obviously.
Speaker 2: I saw a meme floating around one of my favorite movies ever, Goodwill Hunting, when Will goes after this a star's guard character, and he goes talking about math for him, but it's for the Packers and picking quarterbacks. Do you know how easy this is for me? Do you have any idea how easy this is? This is a joke, And I'm sorry you can't do this, I really am, because I wouldn't have to sit here and watch you fumble around and get up. That's basically the Packers to twenty four other teams in the league that cannot find quarterbacks, They've found three in a row. My one point is you don't have Joe Barry to kick around anymore. They got him out of the building.
Speaker 1: Mark, Yeah, you like Goodwill Hunting?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 10: I also love when he's you know, goes after the man with ponytail early on iconic line about them apples. Yeah, that guy is an annoying academic.
Speaker 1: He gets an.
Speaker 4: Great actor, great casting.
Speaker 10: Yes, he looks like a central casting intellectual oath.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're a baited into that one.
Speaker 1: Not at all, stop it.
Speaker 2: I was not watching the clock to Thanky Davis all right, next Patrick the Vikings. So the Minnesota Vikings go out and make a trade.
Speaker 5: They trade a future second round pick as well as a late round pick, and they're forty number forty two to move up. It makes me feel like they will take a shot to try, at least try Questy sending out some feelers and offers to get a quarterback move up in the draft in twenty twenty four. My question about the Vikings the huge departure of Kirk Cousins. How long does Sam Darnold fendoff whoever the Vikings draft at quarterback in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Guess it doesn't it depend on how big this swing is for the Vikings, or does it not matter if they take any quarterback in the first round.
Speaker 4: Sam's kind of.
Speaker 3: Basically, they somehow get you to three and take Jade Daniels or Drake may I feel like it's less of a leash. I actually think they still would tend to lean towards starting Darnold to start the season, but it'd be less of elease if it's if it's a guy in the second round. Like, I'm not totally convinced that they're going to take a quarterback in the first round, just because we all think.
Speaker 2: I think that's the natural inclination once they got that second pick, is that they were arming themselves to march up the board. But maybe they have a whole different plan that they're about to unfurl.
Speaker 3: Or maybe they like Michael Pennix and are going to take him at twenty three or something like that and see what happens at eleven.
Speaker 1: They they've sneakily had.
Speaker 3: The most transition of almost any team in the NFL over the last two years. I counted eleven players that are out the door that had significant roles that have signed with other teams already this year, and they've had fourteen players come in and I and I like it. I've liked Questy's process. I like the players that they've brought in. For the most part, Aaron Jones, certainly Jonathan Gridard Cashman, Vin Ginkle, Like it's a fun group of players they brought in, but it is really a different roster than it was two years ago.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they questy like openly, you know, talked about churning the like the roster of the process, and they found a way without going to the darkness stray and all that. I do find it interesting because Daniel Jeremiah typically does not include trades and before his final mock draft, and he went out of us with this way to do because of what these They added that second pick, the hasle moving up to number four, trading with the Cardinals to get JJ McCarthy. And I think it comes down to if you're Kevin O'Connell, do you have a guy that you fall in love with?
Speaker 1: And that kind of greases the skids for a trade up.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of McCarthy Viking spoke and I get all that and the focus on the offense, and they've done a great job building up the offense. The line's good. Addison was a good pick, and yeah, I look at this defense. It's the opposite of the Packers, like they have almost no homegrown Day one or two. They literally don't have a Day one or two guy that was drafted on their team that's starting for their defense other than Harrison Smith. He's been there thirteen years. Like they have no premier homegrown talent a defense. That's a tough way to live.
Speaker 4: Kind of to me. I'm curious what their plan is.
Speaker 2: Was the Donald move strictly a move like, here's our backup plan if the draft doesn't go our way or they see Donald as a depreciated asset, then they can with a cheap QB build up the roster quickly around him and take a swing. I guess we'll find out. That's the NFC North. We take a break and we hit the South. All right, we're back. Mark, do you want to do you want to give a bayside? I want to give a bayside a try?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, Well no, he has to say, you're not allowing to out here. I had no chance at it?
Speaker 4: Know, all right, hit it, Eric, did you understand the assignment?
Speaker 3: I do not have any idea what you're asking comes back from the break with the baysides thing.
Speaker 1: That might be what Mark just kind of checking out. He might not be aware of what.
Speaker 10: But then usually naturally you have about this next do you want me to say.
Speaker 4: That, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I'll see what he says, you say, and then coming.
Speaker 4: Back out of the last break, you'll give it a shot.
Speaker 1: I'll just I'll just.
Speaker 2: Said, do you want to try basside and you just said sure? You had no idea what I.
Speaker 1: Play the song?
Speaker 10: I mean because it's like, like you know these things, I kind of am more like a I mean react mode during that we would come out of these long, lengthy enjoyment breaks.
Speaker 1: That we have.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here they come, here it comes, and then we'll the last all right, welcome back. We now move on to the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I thought you wanted me to do it. Yes, I'm showing you this time around.
Speaker 10: And then for our last break, I'll do it to my own I'll do it in my own way.
Speaker 1: Okay, when the time comes, that's what we really want.
Speaker 4: Okay, there we go mark the Falcons. That was a journey.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, I feel I at this point, I'm just completely lost. At see I would I would ask here we go remember the old like IBM you make the call commercials. Those were fun, like the back when you know there was like not you know there was a less nonsense going on, so you could focus on it and like you and your dad would argue over like the penalty call. I don't remember those, but it might have proceeded your watching at it. It was like it was old well, but uh, I want you to imagine in this world that like Terry Fontineau Falcons GM has received a case of sunstroke after a like a front office boat party at the George DS. Sparks Reservoir which is outside of Atlanta, and he's down for the county, can't attend the draft, so you have to make the call, and you are looking at a pretty loaded Falcons offense pick number eight. Though you can help Raheem Morris get a foundational defensive player, picking Dallas turn the number one out of Alabama in the draft.
Speaker 1: They need that.
Speaker 10: Or you can look at a wide receiver room with Drake London, Darnell Mooney, Rondell Moore, and Kyle Pitts and you just go go get Roma Dunze and just say Kirk Cousins. No matter, even if your Achilles is still only at thirty percent, you cannot help but hit one of these players on every pass attempt.
Speaker 1: That you have, you make the call.
Speaker 3: Great, I think I'm taking the defensive plate. Well, Dounday's a unique case. Is he duplicative of Drake London. They're kind of similar in some way, So although you would love to have both, I don't think he'll be there. I kind of think the first six seven picks of the draft are guy going to be quarterback, wide receiver. It's like an ultimate Fantasy showdown. So unless they are willing to move up, I have a feeling they'll be gone. And their defense looks like one of the worst defenses in the league on paper. It's kind of flown under the raidar. You know who they've signed on defense this offseason. Nobody, literally nobody. Their edge rushers are Arnold Abauhetti and Lorenzo Carter, and the other positions are pretty thin too. Best defensive player on the board. Seems like it's working out well for them. I feel yeah, easily.
Speaker 5: And I think Dallas Turner is in a spot where the Falcons would be able to get him and.
Speaker 1: The value there.
Speaker 5: Considering that while we love all of these offensive guys, not all of them are going to pan out. It's very rare to think that every single one of them is offering the value that we think Dallas Turner might provide. He was a younger guy who's got the measurables off the charts. It seems like a no break, especially considering that Atlanta has tried, like you go back ten to fifteen years, like Vic Beasley, all these guys off the edges.
Speaker 3: They've replaced the Jets as the team never having an edge rusher.
Speaker 4: Do you want to hear the freaky thing?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: The freaky thing is now Falcons say we haven't had an edge rusher since it's also John Abraham. The Jets fans were saying that for twelve years about John Abraham, and now the Falcon years, Falcons are saying.
Speaker 4: The same thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe he leaves the same guy leaves on these teams. When that's what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, How is it possible he's like the guy who doesn't teach the next generation how to do things, and somehow it's lasted for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Abraham, they're number one, far and away on the improvement.
Speaker 1: In Ducks Cousins. Yeah, it was zero.
Speaker 6: It's fair could have gone to either the best part he is greg pointing at the Zeros they're zeros.
Speaker 3: The other time I said it. The first time it was that one Greg the Panthers, Oh the Panthers. I feel like we haven't given a lot of Panthers love Panthers offseason.
Speaker 1: I like what they've done.
Speaker 3: They've they've decided offensive line and Deontay Johnson like that's the best way to help Bryce Song.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense.
Speaker 3: He spent a lot of money for Damian Lewis and Robert Hunt's not my money though, and they are definitely better. Yosh Nigeman from the Packers actually is a guy who I had in my top hundred.
Speaker 1: I like a lot and so that that's all good.
Speaker 3: And then I look at the defense and I think this was a pretty good defense, and I like a giro Evro. There's a reason why other teams wanted him. And I just think, man, a lot of talent's gonna out the door. Frankie Luvu, Brian Burns, Dante Jackson, Grossmatos, who is a good player. And they've brought some in like DJ Wanham and Josie Joel, but not big time players Jordan Fuller, and they're asking a lot out of a Giro Everro. Like the focus has only been on the offense, and now they might not be good at anything, is my point.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well they Yeah, they lost key components on that side of the ball, and they're a team largely without an identity other than the fact that they've largely failed at quarterback and up front of him. He was poorly protected though all year, and I can't think of a quarterback in the league that you don't want to get hit as many times as he was. I think Robert Hunt is a great signing. He was a six PFF's number six guard last year. He looked like it's a big loss for the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: You needed to go do that.
Speaker 10: I just think the number one thing is Dave Canalis. Two years in a row. He's revived a quarterbacks career. This seems more challenging than even Gino or Baker Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: And you can feel the panic around the because the way the draft played out, and then Stroud instantly became the start. So they're like, holy God, what are we going to do? So let's redo the interior of the line. Let's remember he's not a very tall quarterback, so it's very important to have some maulers up front. That can really get things under control coming down. What was the old Tom Brady thing, you know, bring the pressure right at him right.
Speaker 1: Pressure doesn't make it up the middle. So there are two who does.
Speaker 2: They add a wide receiver Deontay Johnson Claybon, who is very talented. It certainly bumps back guys like Adam Feelin, which is necessary into a different spot on the depth chart.
Speaker 1: So they're trying and we'll see what else they can do here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as far as influences the perception, c J. Stroud benefited from a lot of that team that was there right at least Laramie Tunsel was brought to benefit another quarterback right when the Texans were making that original run, and so the Texans had this upheaval. Dimico comes in, but c J. Strout was in a much better position. The team was in a much better position than the twenty twenty three Carolina Panthers, where, yeah, Adam Thielen is your number one, and you've got rookies and guys that did necessarily work out elsewhere. I think there's reason to be confident. But I'm also looking at Aziro Evro and the defense, like Greg mentioned, where it seems based on Jeremy Chin's falling off of the planet that they have a stated belief and this is the type of player, this is the system that we're going to operate in, and if you don't do that particular thing, then we don't want you to play on.
Speaker 1: Right, Who are their edge rushers?
Speaker 3: And you've kind of brought in these maulers in the in the on the line, but they're like run first guys, and you don't really have a running back by the way.
Speaker 1: Hog Molly's save Bryce.
Speaker 2: Claybot on the Saints, Oh, the New Orleans Saints should be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's always fun.
Speaker 5: And I think every single year there's this like tisking of the Saints and saying that, well, we see, we told you the cap is real. I don't think anybody, especially shot out to Ky Harley is denwing denying the existence of the salary cap. They're just different ways to manage the salary cap. And so this Saints do actually keep some veterans to Mario Davis comes back, the honey Badger comes back.
Speaker 1: They still have the talent.
Speaker 5: But last year was the best head coaching season in Dennis Allen's career, The absolute.
Speaker 1: Best judged by wins and losses.
Speaker 2: By wins and lossy can we get just get one? Dennis Allen compliment without the original.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a compliment. It was at the best coaching job. It was career, it was not. It was just well, purely a statement of fact. It's damning with Faine praise intentionally is.
Speaker 4: Let it be?
Speaker 1: Just let it sit a little bit, purely a statement of fact. Best season Dennis Allen.
Speaker 5: Has ever had as the head coach of the National Football League. What's the best reason to believe the Saints will finish even better in the division in twenty twenty four than they did in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I can't because I think last year they.
Speaker 10: Openly sort of said we're going to ride through this this year identity free.
Speaker 1: I want.
Speaker 10: I look at the Saints over the last couple of seasons. I don't know how it is you want to exist in this world or what life you're trying to live and what you're trying to tell your fans. It just to me, it's like a roster kind of floating. And this what they've done so far this time around, feels like more of the same to me.
Speaker 3: What's a roster led by a defensive coach that wants his defense to be good, and it should be good. It was good last year, can it be great. We'll see Chase Young they bring in. We didn't talk about that on the show where it's a lot of roster surgery, right right, if he can be active, So they it was a fairly low risk because of the money and you know, a decent reward I think for him, but you hope he's well. Willie Gay was a nice signing, like their defense should be good. I just don't buy that they're suddenly conservative. They haven't done much this offseason, and I feel like more is coming. They didn't they need a second wide receiver. They certainly needed left tackle. Despite having traded up for Trevor Penning a couple of years ago. Marshall Lattimore maybe will be part of trying to improve other spots on the roster.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I hope not, because he's one of the best players on the roster.
Speaker 4: This is where I was supposed to speak you.
Speaker 1: You seem agitated, want to.
Speaker 4: No, no.
Speaker 2: I always in this case, I was kind of sitting it out because I felt like the takes were strong about the Saints, and I don't have the same level of like heat around them.
Speaker 1: So he's gonna well, it's like keep passing the ball back and forth.
Speaker 3: When if you say it's the best coaching, you were doing that a little tongue in cheek because I'm giving the judges score, I'm giving them a lower score.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, just again, we've we've done quarterback wins. There are the group of people that believe that, you know, the quarterback gets to I feel like if we were applying that to quarterbacks, then we should definitely apply to coaches.
Speaker 1: Well was his best season?
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of hey, you got the you mentioned that you had to get Nathan Peterman in the building quickly, Peter quarter I do like Clint Kobiak.
Speaker 2: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, me thinks the Bucks are tad high on their own supply.
Speaker 9: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Remember that Jason Light Connor or Ambush at the combine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, this.
Speaker 2: Is also the same Jason Light who recently said that the Bucks free agency was one of the greatest free agency hauls ever.
Speaker 1: That was a direct quote, actually, and you know.
Speaker 2: That meant they re signed Mike Evans Levante, David got Baker under contract, and while I believe wholeheartedly the positive reinforcement of self is important. I am pounding that message home to my eldest son Jack right now, who's gone through some struggles on the baseball diamond the spring.
Speaker 4: But perspective context also important.
Speaker 2: Not all back to back to back division winners are created equal by the.
Speaker 1: Way they won three in Arona.
Speaker 2: And it's important to remember that Tampa Bay won these last two division titles despite a five hundred record across those two years. Actually, yeah, seventeen and seventeen. So the question becomes, what are the Bucks have to do to aspire to be more than just the champion of a bad division?
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: He had some more explosiveness on offense, like they are a great test of how much continuity matters. Bringing back all the guys you said, even bringing in Jordan Whitehead is continuity again, like bringing back a guy that was there when they didn't win the division. But they did win the Super Bowl four years ago. So it's been a nice run. His offensive line, he's done a good job. Jason light like all their their entire offensive line is day one or two picks by Jason light Like He's a sneaky good drafter, but I feel like we need to get a few more of the difference makers on the defensive side. Trading away Carlton Davis and Todd Bowles's defense was really not holding their end of the bargain consistently.
Speaker 10: Last I'm with you, Dan in the sense that, like I keep hearing the Bucks six saying we're running it back, Like you finish with the same record as Dennis Allen and the Saints and in a bad division, and you want a playoff game against a team that had fallen off a cliff, right, but you're running back something that probably will give you again about eight or nine wins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the questions are about the offense. To me, I feel confident in Todd Bowles, and then that brings me back to Baker Mayfield. Like, I know it was a fantastic season, But am I going to see Baker Mayfield in this vision of the same way I see Kirk Cousins in the same way I see Dak Prescott or Jalen Hurts. I just don't know if Baker gets them over that line where you can have that continuity when it's Tom Brady because you're gonna have an opportunity. I don't know the variance that Baker Mayfield provides is enough to get what's left of that team.
Speaker 10: And it's another year where Baker Mayfield goes through a coordinator switch. I know he's happy with Liam Comban. It's like it's another one of these.
Speaker 2: If you're willing to go that high for Baker salary wise, why not rework a couple more deals and make a real play for Kirk And then you don't, and then he ends up in your own division and he goes to the team that has the otherwise a roster otherwise built to contend best in that division.
Speaker 4: Time out, time out, time out.
Speaker 2: Now, it's understandable that you might have just listened to those three minutes and said, Tad critical there, Yeah, Daddy Rich, So I have a dissenting opinion. This dissenting opinion is actually the owner of West Bromwich Albion Football Club WO and also a Bucks super fan, Shelln Patel.
Speaker 4: This break News is a world exclusive.
Speaker 12: Hey their heroes. Longtime listener, first time agitator. I've been a lot more focused on football than football this offseason. But when I heard that the Tugboat was trashing the Bucks offseason moves. I had to step in and defend my guys. The Buck's main job this offseason was to retain or extend for all pro players, and those were Mike Evans, Antoine Winfield, Junior, Levonte David, and Tristan Wurfs. And they're well on track to doing that. And a big reason why is because Baker is who Baker is and because he did the deal that he did, and so I think the Bucks have the right combination of players to feast on a week division. And I'm glad that Dan's sleeping on the Bucks, and I'm glad people are sleeping in the Bucks because that seems to be when they do their best work. Going into the draft, They've got a couple holes O line, edge rush and DB's and you know, Jason Light's been good at getting O linemen and DB's in the draft. And we'll have to figure out how to get the best Edgresher we can. But I think we still have the opportunity to beat up on a weak division. The Panthers are drash, the Saints are still figuring things out, and I don't think the Falcon's got so much better with the Kirk Cousins coming off an achilles injury to really scare us away from from aiming for our fourth straight division crown. So go Bucks and up the Albion.
Speaker 10: Wow, you go boing boing, that's good comeback because I think I think the Winfield thing, the way they handle that matters, And you know, there would have been a fair excuse for the post Tom Brady Bucks just to disappear entirely, and Light has navigated. I mean, you keep the good players that you have and you keep adding more. But it's like, I could there are worse fan experiences right now.
Speaker 3: Jason Light's sneaky been there for a decade now. A good job by him navigating all these different errors, and he really he really is a good drafter, Like he really does fill in at dB very well. They need they just need more players that are getting better. I feel like they have a lot of players like Godwin, like Evans, like Baker Frankly who have like they're not going to get better.
Speaker 1: We know that they need to be that good just.
Speaker 3: To get out scored in aggregate by like twenty points over the last two years.
Speaker 1: So it's like you need some younger players that are getting.
Speaker 5: Better and Rashaan White stepped up and we're still talking bucks. Yeah out, that's what the tom outs for. And I think you keep the guys that are going to be in your ring of honor one day, right. And in terms of like Mike Evans, I feel could have gotten a better offer elsewhere. I think Baker Mayfield perhaps could have waited things out and saw where Kirk went and got some more money. But Jason Light the folks in Tampa convincing them to I think they should be celebrated for that. I just don't see where the ceiling, like, where's that surprisis.
Speaker 3: It's kind of all about continentity because when I look at this deptart man, they do have like these guys have all played together for a while, not continuity. In terms of the offensive coordinator. That's a little bit of a concern because Liam Cohen is the one guy from the Sean McVay tree that really didn't get a bump that he got it. He got bumped off the Rams roster by Sean McVay.
Speaker 2: That clear headed, concise take is classic Shelyn Patel and.
Speaker 3: That's why he's running an actual sports team that you hear a team owner call another team trash, But I like that. You gotta love that different sport. I mean, and some of the press he's getting out there.
Speaker 2: Here's BBC Shlyn Pateel, West Brom owner aiming high m dash but with realism and patience. How about this from Express and Star. Shelyn Pateel is already giving West Brom fans something they have been craving.
Speaker 1: Crave. That's what he was just on our show Arrow Up. That's our budget. Craving is important, as I learned and Love is Blind season six, do.
Speaker 10: You have us like a little money stake in this show? Was like the fourteenth time you brought this.
Speaker 3: It was like grave when Dan, when you weren't here. Patrick and I actually did like five minutes on Love Is Blind season six, and then I told Eric to take it out of the show.
Speaker 1: Were you are for this?
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I mean I've not. I watched like two episodes of season one and.
Speaker 1: Then afterwards I was like, you know what, let's just take that out.
Speaker 5: But incredible, Maybe maybe we could put it on plack on the list if if folks want to hear that five minutes.
Speaker 2: I was going to say you could have done it could have been a satellite pod. But isn't that already meanest territory.
Speaker 1: There you go. The season's long over. NFL plus I think would it would would.
Speaker 4: They'll take it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, bus will take a little Love is Blind recap.
Speaker 3: I've moved on to blown Away and Top Chef. I like that last blowing competition underrated blown Away.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the update.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break and we will finish out the NFC with the West.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're back.
Speaker 10: The show is continuing. Let's move to the NFC West. The Arizona Cardinals with Greg Wow. I love that you did the whole thing. The Arizona Cardinals. All right, they exist? Hey was them all? We're talking about your team for the first time. I feel like all off season they have been quiet. Little surprise year two of this regime that they aren't stirring things up a little more.
Speaker 4: Marky S.
Speaker 3: Brown, Rondel Moore out the door. They really don't have any wide receivers. You get rid of DJ Humphreys at tackle, you get Joanah Williams.
Speaker 1: You have some rotational defensive lineman. But this is still a team.
Speaker 3: If you were just guessing who has like a top five pick next year. They might them, and the Panthers still have the most to work out. They need a number one wide receiver right now, it's Michael Wilson or Dorsch. Like they need a ton on the defensive line. I don't know if they're putting Kyler Murray in the best position to succeed right now.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot of help on this roster right now. That's my concern too.
Speaker 10: And they have been talked about, you know, Monte Austin Fort Lakes to compile draft picks, that that's a target in the draft where someone could move up to get that QB four or Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: Michael Wilson is a good player.
Speaker 10: I thought he showed a lot of promise, but he seems like a good number two.
Speaker 1: Greg is Derritch is interesting too.
Speaker 10: When Zach Pascal is the other guy, you can't I don't think you can afford to move out of that spot and pass up on like Marvin Harrison Junior. I think you've got to give Kyler Murray in the rest of this offense a chance.
Speaker 5: And I feel like, considering what Kyler has been through, I have more confidence this season than I did a couple of other seasons ago in terms of Kyler coming back with an opportunity to be healthy, coming into the year, and seeing these other quarterback situations and the way things have kind of been a success or a disaster.
Speaker 1: There hasn't been a lot of in between.
Speaker 5: Kyler's probably that quarterback that's been the in between where we haven't gotten what we wanted. But there's still hope of some promise. I think we see that come to fruition.
Speaker 1: I thought he fit well in this system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Michael Wilson is maybe not as solid as a one as you would like. But the year two there is cause to be positive about.
Speaker 2: It's good from a Cardinals fan perspective that you can just kind of get things back.
Speaker 4: You got the doat, you got the boat out of the dock.
Speaker 2: Now it's the repairs are done, and maybe we could go out on the high season and do some things. Because you had all the drama around Kyler with the contract, that he blows his knee out, then you're waiting for him to return. Now we can go into a new season with a fresh start. There's so much work to do on the roster obviously, and you lose Hollywood Brown, DJ Humphries. There's work to be done, Greg, But at least you have Kyler starting fresh and healthy, and let's see once and for all if he is that dude.
Speaker 3: I'm confident in him. I thought he fit well in that system. I thought they coached really well on both sides of the ball, like Gannon was cooking up pretty creative game plans without a lot of talent. But that lack of talent is still there, so they really need to start hitting, like Justin Jones. They gave twenty million dollars guaranteed. That was their big move on defense, a guy that the Bears, you know, weren't exactly in love.
Speaker 2: With the rams Aaron Donald, less rams of Patrick Claybon.
Speaker 5: And it's such We've talked about the Philadelphia Eagles having to deal with the first ballot Hall of Famer not being on the team. Still playing very well, Aaron Donald was still playing exceedingly good football, and he was getting the Lion's share of attention as he always would. But the contributions from Kobe Turner last year, maybe because of what Will Anderson did, kind of got slept on. Overall, on his same team, Pooka kind of stealing his shine a little bit. They've done so well in the draft, and Sean McVay hasn't actually gone to the combine since twenty twenty, and I'm wondering, are the ramps proving that does anybody need to go to the combine the way that Less is cranking out these very very good players later on in the draft.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see what they do this year. That's my only question. The coaches need to go to the combine.
Speaker 10: I think it's funny because Sean McVay, like, from from a cynical angle, he could say, oh, he wants to you know, work Less.
Speaker 1: I don't think that at all.
Speaker 10: But it's like the first kind of coach to totally goes to combine like he he doesn't want to do anything in the preseason. These are two like building blocks of the NFL offseason into regular action, and he just dismisses them both.
Speaker 1: And last year was one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I thought, well, he's not picking the players, certainly not on defense. I do worry a little bit that they're they're rolling back this idea of like now it's Chris Shula as the defense court. It's like, we're just trying to be average on defense and we're gonna invest sixty six million dollars guaranteed at guard in Jonah Jackson and Kevin Dotson, which I they're gonna be fun. It's like, I'm it's a creative way that they've attacked this offseason. I like Cam Curle. They brought Bacterius Williams, but also Kella Witherspoon.
Speaker 4: Is it for you?
Speaker 3: Just like no Aaron Donald and you're going cheap a little bit on defense and it's a new defensive coordinator like Raheem did a nice job coaching this defense up and counting on that again might be you know, expecting too much.
Speaker 4: I liked the way JB.
Speaker 2: Long put it on the show on Monday that Donald, you lose Donald and it's massive and it's incalculable and we're going to see how they move on. But he was there as a transition with your boy Kobe Turner, Greg Ee and that defense getting its sea legs in real time and ending up almost almost getting too the divisional playoff Iron Young two. I still think there was a world where they win the Super Bowl last year, it was like one in twenty.
Speaker 1: I think there was a whorld. Yeah.
Speaker 4: JB was kind of hitting at that.
Speaker 2: If they can get by that first game, it's kind of a wide open.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 2: And so I get why the way they're playing this offseason and they're looking to kind of build in this like Mock two or is it mock three now Sean mcvay's tenure there, keep the quarterback up right, and you know, the sky's the limit.
Speaker 3: I think on offense, they remind me a little bit of the Colts back in the day. Now, the Colts had a couple like Hall of famers or near hall of famers on defense. But it's just like, invest in offense every year, try to be a top three offense every year. Hope the defense is good enough and will win ten games at worst with our offense.
Speaker 2: The Seattle Seahawks, I got this one. So I feel like for years now, the Seahawks have been parked in a cul de sac neighborhood. That's that's fine, it's nice. The houses are not luxurious, but comfortable. The people, you know, the people maintain their yards and the neighbors get along and it's a nice place to trick or treat, but also not the place you go if you're hoping to get full candy bars. You know what I'm saying. There's nothing wrong with that. I Gus Brandon many yeah, the many ones. No, I'm talking about the full bars, the ones Connor organ out right, you got to go to a different neighborhood. I imagine that's where that's where they want.
Speaker 1: To be eventually.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I think this is a pretty decent roster with you know, good players on defense. They have talent on offense, you know, a replacement level quarterback but not a bad player, not a not a major issue. And that kind of set up with good coaching. And we'll see how Mike McDonald is. Is a recipe for nine or ten wins, maybe a one off road trip in the playoffs, But is there something more to aspire to? Does this team have the ambition to try to move out of that neighborhood? As Brandon Flowers of the Killers once said, there's nothing wrong with working class, but what if there's more out there? The American dream as it were.
Speaker 10: I love change, and like the Seahawks started to feel a little stale to me under Pete Carroll.
Speaker 1: As much as I like Pete Carroll, I think Mike McDonald.
Speaker 2: Think that's part of like what the setup of Carol moving on is because I think they get that.
Speaker 3: All time Hall of Fame type coaches indicating they want to change the neighborhoods.
Speaker 10: I think Mike McDonald is going to be a huge story next year. There's something about his vibe just watching a couple of his press conferences, like, I think that the Seahawks needed this. And I'm not down on Geno Smith or anything, but I thought that Sam Howell trade was intriguing because this, to me, is a starter in development. Who if things get a little shaky at quarterback. Sam Howell is much more spicy to me than Drew Locke as a number two who can come in and at times look really good.
Speaker 5: I don't know, yeah, I mean Sam Howell takes risks, he holds onto the ball way too long, but he can go out there and get buckets. There was a time last year where he was leading the NFL in passing. I don't think it's enough to dethron Gino, but what it does is it gives you value at the backup position where all these backups are playing, and you know, we see a team's actual commitment and how they feel about their starter, perhaps considering where the backup is and how good he is, where they're not necessarily concerned about the starter psyche or whatever's going to ruin.
Speaker 1: Gino like that. He's been through everything.
Speaker 5: But do you know, talent wise on defense, I think there's there's some room to improve. On offense, run of the ball. It just got to keep people healthy. But I think they can get there. I think they're on the precipice. It's just hard, especially in this division.
Speaker 3: Their biggest move was just bringing Lenny Williams back and then they had resigning no offense, so they haven't gone outside that much. They have new linebackers Tyroe Dodds and Jerome Baker I thought were smart.
Speaker 1: Eleven core guys have left the.
Speaker 2: Team final time out. I really wasn't trying to be a jerk about Gino. I'm just where does he fit on the the Dalton line.
Speaker 3: He's definitely above it. Yeah, so I don't think it's replacement based.
Speaker 2: On It's not Miles last year's play also or just the year that everyone remembers.
Speaker 3: I think he played really well down the stretch last year, and if you look at kind of the pop the hood numbers, even the PFF grades stuff, the two years were very, very similar. I think he's been a little streaky within those years, but they didn't blockwell for him. He threw well down the field all season. He's not a perfect quarterback, but I think he was safely above that. To me, he was in that like ten to twelve range both years.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, I mean I thought when we were in London we watched him make some that just watching him together at the same time, like Gino can whip the ball down field, and I honestly think he is higher than the Dalton line. Mike McDonald did not come out screaming and shouting about he's definitely their starter.
Speaker 3: But their actions, their actions Patrick's point kind of showed like, yeah, they brought in a backup, backup who has a similar skill set in some ways other than the running to Gino, and.
Speaker 1: A backup that can then learn from Geno.
Speaker 5: I think like for every twenty seconds we spend talking about Sam Darnold, then that should mean at least twenty minutes of Gino discussion.
Speaker 1: Well, Donald, to me, is because that's something critical way.
Speaker 10: I do think we spent in the high well, we do, say twenty minutes talking about Geno Smith on every preview show.
Speaker 4: We've given money of Geno Smith conversation on that.
Speaker 3: I think Donald, though, would be closer to a replacement level. Yeah, you know, based on his contract, Like I guess that's what I think.
Speaker 1: We're at a different.
Speaker 2: We don't know about Donald, but yeah, right now he needs to prove that he can even or bakery even.
Speaker 5: We don't know about Donald, but a few years ago we were absolutely certain about Gino right too.
Speaker 2: He's fine too. Uh, I gotta get you know what, I got to get Nick Schuk in here. Shuk's got him eighteen And I think that is a nice spot.
Speaker 3: Two years, last two years, Combine charted passing this from football inside on throws fifteen yards dunfield. You know, Gino Smith the number one most accurate quarterback in the league. I think, what like when he's got his issues hold the ball sometimes he's almost too aggressive, but when he sets up to throw, the ball goes where he wants it to go about as well as any quarterback in the league, which is a great starting point.
Speaker 10: I think like maybe Dan where you're coming from, because it's kind of how I feel. It's just like, okay, cool, so Gino Smith's your quarterback. Let's see how that right.
Speaker 2: Don't get it twisted. I just said they live in a nice neighborhood. Yeah right, he's part of that. It was it was a replacement level.
Speaker 5: Like even if eighteen is replacement level, then like we should be in.
Speaker 2: Like I mean to be top five, top ten quarters. I mean, you guys are saying, like the fact that I could even bring up that Gino is someone that could be replaced and they can get better at the position is no they were thought?
Speaker 3: Is I'm sorry? Like I just I fundamentally disagree with that. They certainly, I think thought about it. But I think if he's in a situation with everything great around him, like he's going to put up numbers like Jared Goff for better. I think last year he played well. He played well down the stretch. He probably saved his job.
Speaker 4: It's not bad.
Speaker 2: I listen, agree to disagree, I agree, I agree to disagree, and I respect your opinions.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you're saying you're disagree, so I disagree, but I respect the hell out of you. So it wasn't it was a shot.
Speaker 2: At a shot at Gino in that I don't see him as highly as you doesn't mean it's a shot.
Speaker 4: It's just I don't see him in the same at the same level.
Speaker 1: That's all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Time in time in close it out. Mark With the Niners, they have been my pet team for years.
Speaker 1: They have.
Speaker 10: I mean I think they came in there was you know, there was reporting that their number one priority they lose Eric Armstead and Chase Young, that they wanted to make sure that they kept that defensive line Humming and Leonard Floyd. Nice pickup they trade from Lee Collins. I trust that this will just work out for the Niners.
Speaker 1: On some level.
Speaker 10: I see two mysteries, the kind of lingered number one like, does Brandon Ayuk get moved before the draft?
Speaker 4: There are there they were linked hanging around out there.
Speaker 10: Jaguars were linked as a team interested the Steelers. Maybe not, but he's in the last year of his contracts, so you're already paying in one of your one of your your other wide outs a.
Speaker 1: Ton of money.
Speaker 10: And it's like, I don't like seeing that that offense lose even one of those pieces because they're so overwhelming. I think the second thing for me and I just get this feeling about the Niners and maybe it's just like I don't know, I feel like psychologically or in terms of like a spiritual like feeling inside the building, like how many more breaking points can the Kyle Shanahan experience take because it's like every season has been so heart breaking. It kind of reminds me of like the Saints team that had three terrible playoff losses three years in a row, and they've really never been the same. I mean, it's just like you get so close and it's like, is there a point where we just don't assume they win fourteen fifteen games.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great question from like a human standpoint, because these losses.
Speaker 4: Aren't just any losses.
Speaker 2: I mean you look at the Super Bowl defeats, the Title Game defeat, like these are kind of feeling like the world is. They're winning in overtime of the Super Bowl a couple months ago, and they can't get over the hump. And at one point, yeah, it is that like psychologically just damage you offensively. They will return all of their starters and they're the to my mind, the best offense in the NFL. Yeah, they could try to improve their offensive line and do some things. I don't think they'll trade at Yuk, although supposedly they were open to it. Like they I think if Jacksonville was going to give up that number seventeen overall pick, they would have done it.
Speaker 1: And if I was Jacksonville, I would do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's gonna be a thing because the offense has proliferated literally across the entire NFL, and you have Brandon Ayuk who's learned it from the person who we associate this offense with and has gone through all those trials and tribulations. It would be a mistake to move him. But to Mark's point, like physically, I think we saw the accumulation of all those extra football games on the Kansas City Chiefs and the forty nine Ers played literally the same number of games, but it didn't turn out in the way that they wanted at the end. But over and over again, to deal with that, you're eventually going to get an extra seasons worth of football and playing all of these games, and there's such a physical team, I think it does add up. Not to discount them, but like over and over again at some point and.
Speaker 2: This is the first year mark about the questions about the defense are fair now after the way they struggled down the stretch and they've lost players and it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Smoos Malie Collins, Leonard Floyd, Jordan Elliott kind of another radar, a lot of rotational guys.
Speaker 1: On their defense. The defensive corner.
Speaker 2: We go out with a dart as we must. We just went around the NFC. We went around FC a day earlier. So now you have all thirty two team cup. We were thinking there was a year a few years back where we've missed the team skipped, the team got. I mean very I never ever agree when or hardly ever agree when we're getting criticism on social media or whatever, like oh you hate my team, you got they always hate this team. But when you get your team skipped in this in this exercise, we we will take the l but I think we I think we're covered.
Speaker 1: But especially if you're waiting like you're the fourth division. Oh so you've maginated through. It's not forty eight minutes.
Speaker 10: It's gone forty eight minutes, and then like your team doesn't get it's like big slack.
Speaker 3: That's only once, and we started doing these around the AFC NFCS pretty early on in the run of this show.
Speaker 1: I would guess we've been doing it for like, say, our batting average is pretty good. Yeah, I'm just saying we only missed one team.
Speaker 2: You know, eight hundred's probably nine ninety up in here.
Speaker 6: I like to say, if you forgot about a team, I mean, probably not that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it might have been the bills also, but this was during like the forget abills.
Speaker 4: Probably warranted then.
Speaker 1: That you forgot about it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're kind of doubling down here, you guys.
Speaker 10: The next episode we probably spent like twenty minutes talking about the bill.
Speaker 1: We make it up to people when we do.
Speaker 3: Sure it might have been the EJ Manual Tyride era bills.
Speaker 1: I believe it was a while. It was a while ago. Eric second EJ Manual reference this week.
Speaker 2: By the way, Eric, now it's time to put down the gun. And I think sometimes another risk that we take. And I just did get a report that Andrew's doing great and he's going to be real. It's good to hear later today. Have we created a monster now? Will he be able to step out of the studio and realize that time in his life is over and he needs to become a civilian again.
Speaker 1: I think it's a fair question.
Speaker 10: I would say that if memory serves, and I'm thinking of like you know, Eric and others that every producer that's had like the Taser weapon has gone absolutely nuts with it. I think it's it's a powerful it's a powerful feeling.
Speaker 1: You have to have a.
Speaker 5: Structure in place for once he gets home, you know, a code, yes, and you not necessarily that Eric needs leadership, but he said, you know, he is an order follower, and so he needs that structure in place to work, not just at home. Like you know, we got word from Kensington Palace yesterday that Kate is working at home right, work from home we can trust, We can trust that, and so I just want Eric to be able to dart from home safely.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Let's go out with Alex Badura's song simply titled Patrick Claybunk. We'll be back next week now, GREGGI, you are taking a much deserved vacation next week.
Speaker 1: I am, Yeah, So enjoy that.
Speaker 3: ARENTS meeting up for the first time since their wedding seventeen years ago.
Speaker 1: Bicy where it's undisclosed. Okay. Oh now Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Nice so and then I'll be taking off the next week going to the same island, so we'll.
Speaker 1: See it Tuesday, Patrick Claybom.
Speaker 4: Until then, heath the call.
Speaker 9: You are the man We men, Tom.
Speaker 1: What a guy, what a stunn
Speaker 10: Um