Speaker 1: Now today's topic, Peter is tipping. And I don't mean like cow tipping, although that's a phenomenon we should probably delve into one day. I'm talking about the phenomena if cow tipping exists, how bored do you have to be? It exists? And it's all the rage and certain what satisfaction do you get?
Speaker 2: Oh he's over now you got to help him up again?
Speaker 1: And our topic is really, if you want to get down to the really, no, really, no matter what you do for a living, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what it is, maybe somebody owes you a tip. Really, no, really, And by the.
Speaker 3: Way, I didn't know how about this at heart exciting. I mean, we talk to adventures, we talked to rock stars, we talked to a lot of different people, and you brought up tipping, and I started mentioning tip people. Everybody seems to be outraged. And there was I don't know if people aware of this, but there was a New York Magazine article where they tried to define kipping.
Speaker 1: Why did you roll your eyes when you said New York Magazine, I have to look down to see it looked like a definitive eye roll. No, no, no. Well, if you're watching it on YouTube, roll back the tip. Did Peter roll his eyes and David google Heim will tell us at the end of the show, I'm sure by the way, now I'm right.
Speaker 3: So you have a comparison, a control group, and a comparison. So they come out with this article that where they're going to define what tipping is a It starts at twenty percent forget below, bottle of water a dollar and all these categories now of service that I go. So, it used to be you knew who to tip, right, you kind of.
Speaker 1: Knew who to Now you knew who to tip, you knew who to shmear, which is another hole, and you knew who to bribe. Right.
Speaker 2: There were different stuff like.
Speaker 3: That, right right, Yes, that's not a tip, right, and then there's others where they're saving your life. But tipping now has gone insane. No one has the rules, but everybody's acting like they have the rules. So I reached out to the foremost tipping expert in the world. His name is Michael Lynn, nationally recognized expert and tipping. He's written over seventy research publications on the topic. He's been covered by The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, everybody, all of the networks, including NPR and now US. He was a former service worker in the industry, as was I. I don't know, did you ever work.
Speaker 2: For a living?
Speaker 1: I was always Oh damn you, I was. I was never a waiter, which is the typical other jober. I was a bus boy. Oh okay, I'm not good at that, so they certainly didn't move.
Speaker 2: Me up to the weights. I got fired.
Speaker 3: I ate more shrimp on the way out, and the guy finally said, there's a spree ship on it seventeen and he goes, let me smell your breast. I go no, And I was fired anyway. He did all of that, but he also got his PhD in social psychology from Ohio State and has taught in the marketing departments of business and hospitality schools since nineteen eighty eight and Professor of Services Marketing at the Cornell University School of Cornell.
Speaker 1: Is the guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not even allowed on the g.
Speaker 1: Is the guy. Thank you for joining. Hi'm Michael Lynn.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you for inviting me of pleasure having a.
Speaker 1: Little extra something in your ravel up at the end of this.
Speaker 3: By the way, first thing I got to ask you is you're a tipping expert, why why would you become the tipping it's fasciinating. I'm glad you are, but why that area? Why do you say I'm going to I'm going to get into this in a big way.
Speaker 4: Well, I worked for tips to help pay my way through school, and I noticed that there were people that I thought were worse servers than me making more money, and you kind of wonder why, so I decided it would be an interesting subject for studying.
Speaker 1: Well wait, so what what I got to go right to that? Why in your experience with these people? Why were they making more money than you?
Speaker 4: Because I was really good at the technical aspects of service, but not at the social aspect, and people who could chat the customer up got better tips.
Speaker 1: Which is probably why I'm assuming actors are pretty good weight staff people, because they can at least we engage with people for a living to try and get our primary job.
Speaker 3: So that point, I'm always sitting with you at lunch and I and the most important part of this are you guys having the interruptions make me crazy too. It's the guy who engages too much that you go, God, dude, well.
Speaker 1: You have My favorite line where a guy says to you, if you need anything, my name is Steve, And then you say, and if I.
Speaker 2: Don't need anything, what's your name? Ralph?
Speaker 3: Right? First of all, really bad English, horrible, But it's interesting how weight staff, like you said, gets treated by personality, appearance, race. There's all kinds of stuff, But let's back up and go to the beginning for it. Can you give everybody just like a bullet point history of tipping, like where it came from, how it got started now, and.
Speaker 1: Why it's even called tipping or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Wow, there's lots of stories, and I don't know how much they're true. I'm not a historian. People have argued the tips is an acronym that stands for too unsure promptitude, and back in fourteenth century England people would wrap notes with coins with the word to insure promptitude. But that's almost certainly not true because acronyms didn't become popular until the nineteen thirties, and tipping way predates that. People have argued that it comes from an old gypsy or thieves can't tip er me meaning give me. I've also heard my favorite theory is that it comes from tippler or tipple, and that tipping evolved and eating and drinking places as a way to forestall the servers envy, because, after all, when you're at a bar or a restaurant eating, you're having fun, and the person serving you as working, it would be natural for them to envy you the fun you're having, and to keep that from happening, tipping evolved as a way of saying, Hey, don't envy me because I'm having fun, you're working. Here's some money you can have a drink on me after work. And if you look at the word for tip in many languages around the world, it does trans late to money for drink or drink money.
Speaker 3: Really, no, really, I did not know that that's why we do this, you're exactly. Oh, that's the reason we finally figured out out, all right, So if that's so.
Speaker 1: As far as you know, has tipping always been a percentage business, because that's certainly what we think of it as now, at least in restaurants and bars and food industry.
Speaker 4: Certainly, tipping became really prominent in this country after the Civil War. People traveled to Europe brought it back with them, and at the end of the nineteenth century, and it really became common at the beginning of the twentieth century if you go back to that point in time and look at etiquette books. Yeah, certainly in restaurants and hotels, percentage tip was common even back then. It wasn't thirty percent like it is today, but it was a.
Speaker 1: Percent in a minute. It went up to thirty.
Speaker 2: In a minute.
Speaker 1: But really, no, really, I was a good tip now, oh my god, oh my god. I apologize to everyone. I thought I was doing great at twenty five.
Speaker 3: Now, things that we should set the bar in and let's get to specific notarist people listening, we're going to give you guidance on all the areas that you go. I don't know what to do here. So Seinfeld and Curb, we're obsessed with tipping. There's the episode of Curb where you Jason is sitting with Larry and you won't share with your tip is.
Speaker 1: We're splitting the check. But and this was the scenario that Larry came up with. We're splitting the check and we're each adding our own tip, and he inquires of me what I'm leaving for the tip, and I don't want to tell him, and I thought, I thought that was a strange premise. But is that?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Have you heard of that? Being typical? People don't want to give equal tips one one party wants to be the bigger fellow, and so they want to seem like the more gracious Gregaria's generous type, or they.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be the cheap one.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then by the way, that sets off of war because it's an oh, now I'm forced to give what you gave because you're This whole thing has become about embarrassment. Hotels are notorious and I never know this, Thank god travel metro State hotels. What's the etiquette, Michael, of the eleven people who are going to get you to your room? It seems like a handoff, a hand off, a handoff. Does everybody get.
Speaker 4: Something if you're willing to give it to them? They do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you have that atitute.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm not an etiquette expert, and he doesn't care what people do, why they do it, what servers can do to increase their tips. Why tipping norms vary across countries. I don't want to hold myself out as a tipping etiquette. The one thing that's perhaps we're saying is there is no tipping God right, there's no central authority Wholujah bestows from heaven. Tipping norms. Tipping guidebooks, for the most part, do a reasonably good job of describing what is typical or common. But with the fast changing pace of what's happening and tipping today, you're going to see people asking for tips. Like restaurant carry out. It's quite common now for them to ask you for a tip when you go to pick up a restaurant meal that you're going to take home for yourself, and you might think everybody's asking for it. This is the new norm. And I haven't seen recent data, but prior to the pandemic around you know, twenty nineteen, only about a third of people tipped in that circumstance. So if seventy percent of people are not tipping, is it really a norm? I would say.
Speaker 3: The reason I want to Michael on was I read an article guy said, you know what, here the norms today, and Michael actually went off the norms. And that's why because because he really is getting to the point. You know, Jim Jeffery's a comedian, pointed out bus drivers doesn't get a tip, unless it's a bus driver from the airport to your car, then he gets a tip. Well, hairdresser gets a tip. Dentist who also makes you look good doesn't get a tip. He says it's arbitrary what service workers should get tips in.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly because the example I was going to give. And this perplexes me. This really does. So if I go into a Starbucks and I order a latte, somebody is making it in the back. They usually bring it to the person who's wrung me up, They hand it to me, and I'm putting a tip in the tip jar. If I go to the McDonald's drive through and I order a coffee, there's still somebody in the back making the coffee, bringing it to the window, and that person's putting in a bag, but there's no tip expected. Same exact services, but one seems to be has normalized tipping and the other one there is no. That's how how is this possible?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure exactly why we tip baristas and not counter workers at quick service places, but if I had to guess, I would guess that the barista it looks more like a bar setting, and so it's easier to generalize our habit of tipping bartenders to baristas.
Speaker 2: So it's the environment, it's the environment kind.
Speaker 4: Of environment plays a role absolutely, But.
Speaker 1: I would imagine in a bar setting that one of the reasons that you're tipping. Now, I'm not a big drinker, but but you know, if you're not running a tab, if you're paying for your drink, you know, per drink delivered, I would imagine the tip is like maybe in the next drink he paused me an extra finger full of you know of whatever means that you're you're sort of saying, hey, you you take care of me, I'll take care of you. And there's an ongoing.
Speaker 3: Suggestion component there is I want something for this, right I'm assuming that that that that would be sort of why.
Speaker 1: But that isn't gonna get What is that gonna get me? At the Starbucks? You know, extra foam? What am I gonna get?
Speaker 4: How often do you go to the same Starbucks?
Speaker 1: I don't have it?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't have it aginst there you go a lot of people feel that they know the people and it's like.
Speaker 2: And they start telling you the hardship stories.
Speaker 3: So the other thing about tipping is in Seinfeld that there's an episode where with the cal Zone where George is upset and I relate to this, and every listening probably relates to this because the guy didn't see him leave the tip, and it ends up with George taking the tip out to put it back in again. He gets caught and barred from the place as a thief. So while we were discussing this episode, I said to Jason, I gotta admit like I'm at the pizza place down the hill from my house, and I always do because he always gives me my stuff and then turns to walk and do something the next guy, and I always go, hey, and here's a little I always announce make sure you are it's there to get this. If I put on the card right or or I put the thing, I always have to announce what I've done because you want you want tip credit right, because you don't know what they're gonna do your food.
Speaker 2: Oh this is the guy without the tip credit credit last time? That isn't it?
Speaker 4: And yet you get mad, And yet you get mad when they swivel the thing around and ask you to tip in front of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, this and I know this is your thing, So the swivel. Doing the swivel.
Speaker 3: This is the new thing that pisses me off because now nonminally am I nervous about who to tip, But now I've got an audience and performance anxiety. A they swivel the screen room, the font you can see from the moon. It's and it gives you choices. Doesn't start at five ten fifteen, No, I suck. It starts at fifteen twenty thirty. Your bank accounts, your IRA sign it, and everybody's standing behind you can see it and see what you're doing. So now not only people who you're with. It used to be people are with would judge me on the tip. Now it's complet eat strangers. I can hear in the background it's like, really, screw you. There's so much pressure. There's so much pressure. And Jason, poor Jason, celebrity. You got to give a good tip every time.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. If you give an underwhelming tip and somebody sees it, you know, they go some guy will let me a crappy tip if I do. It's all over social media. So you know, first of all, I tend to I'm a big believer in I am.
Speaker 3: Disproportionately paid for what I do.
Speaker 1: I should pay, you know, so I try, and people who are performing a service for me, I try and compensate them, you know, to pay that forward. But you're right, if for any reason I don't like the service, if I have horrible service, I still can't undertip, because it's going to become a thing.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if you're under tip, not just you, but the guy then goes on and says, this customer came in today and then and there's a story out there, and that's the easiest way to get in. And by way, we should do this. Yeah, you live, like, order something for five bucks and leave a thousand dollars tip will be everywhere, and you do that a couple of times, the podcasts will get in there.
Speaker 1: I just read this. I was I was going through social media today. I just read another period.
Speaker 2: Somebody does that all the time, and they get.
Speaker 1: The college seriously, say for the college.
Speaker 2: We should just do it.
Speaker 3: If you like a ten thousand dollar tip for a sandwich, just once, I'd be so sure you can write it off. It's right, it's right off. Will you pay for this sandwich? So where to have the tip? Where did the swivel screen. Thing happen that intruded us? And is it going to continue? Is this the new technology that we're stuck with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's gonna You're going to start seeing it even more places. I was just eating at a sit down restaurant. I stayed at the table, and they brought an electronic device with my bill, and again the server stood there as I come at the key in what my tipping decision was.
Speaker 3: I hate that instead of just signing it, looking at the little thing and doing that, and then I can hardly read it.
Speaker 2: That's aside.
Speaker 3: I can hardly read it is a size that that's a menace to society.
Speaker 2: And then you got the New Yorker article.
Speaker 3: It says that you should leave a minimum of twenty percent, and based on your higher disposable income, you should tip more.
Speaker 1: Michael, can I go back because you I think I've read that. You are you know the reasons behind this very well? Why is it since everyone has some sort of tipping grip or tipping anxiety, what is the downside of asking businesses to just charge us more for the item or the service and pass that on to their employees, rather than us having to speculate there is there a downside to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, People evaluate restaurants based on their expensiveness, based on menu prices, and if I eliminate tipping, I have to impose a service charge or raise my menu prices. People hate service charges because it's a mandatory tip, and nobody likes to be told they have to tip. And if I raise my menu prices, I look more expensive than my neighbors who use tipping, and that allows them to have lower prices. I know you would think customers are smart enough to say, yeah, the menu prices are higher, but I don't have to tip. But you'd be wrong. They're not smart enough to think that.
Speaker 3: But that's the whole club med model, right, is that you can go and you don't tip for anything.
Speaker 1: Everything's included. I mean it seems to work there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are places where people don't want to be nickeled and dimed, right, and so all inclusive model will work. But in restaurants, people are pretty price sensitive and they're going to evaluate me as more expensive than my competitors. And we can't get together and collectively decide to get rid of tipping, because that would be price collusion.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 4: I've also done the research and looked at online ratings of those restaurants. You know, there are a lot of restaurants, dozens of restaurants that have tried to eliminate tipping in recent years. At one point there we're about two hundred of those restaurants across the country. So I did some research and looked at the online ratings of those restaurants both before and after their move away from tipping, and in almost every case, their online ratings went down.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And those restaurants, I know that one in New York, the famous one of the high end guy, Danny whatever his name is any Meyer, tried it at his high end restaurants and it did not work after a while. And that's a highend restaurant with I think going to afford the food out yere is Europe, right, Europe got away with don't a way of tipping in most countries or.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, it's it's certainly not the way it is here. You would leave change in most European countries really literally just round the bill, you know.
Speaker 1: Really, And I know when I when I've done that, by the way, I always feel like when I've been in Europe, and they go it's you don't do it, you do it, and I leave at you know, a little something. But I always feel like if I left the proper tip, I would be breaking a custom work. It's a very strange feeling.
Speaker 3: The the reason that you feel trapped, I think, is you're going to restaurant and they're paying minimum wage. They don't get in Europe, by the way, they get vacation paid vacation right, so that's included, and they can make a wage. Here the restaurant owner because he's not going to pick it up because he can't afford it, or at least some candies, some can you're not responsible for this guy being able by formula first kid whatever. And then worse than that, the guys you're giving tips to in the front of the house, they have to figure out what they're going to do on the other guys stets up to them, beside what percentage the guys in the back and get. So the whole thing is like for cocked and as you said, it's gonna it's only going to expand more and more. You wonder like you go to shoes to buy shoes at Nordstromer somewhere the guy spends four four hours, he brings out seven hundred boxes of shoes. You say thank you when you pick the shoes. He's not getting a tip. Realtor works with you for months to close the deal on a house, does the research, doesn't.
Speaker 1: But you're getting commissioned.
Speaker 2: But but you didn't.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not buying the house. That's okay, but that's a service. So how do you hide the service job?
Speaker 1: Well, if I ordered the Starbucks coffee and I go, you know what, I'm not paying for this. I don't want it. They don't get tipped either. I mean, if you're working on commission, right, Michael, but they can't up there.
Speaker 4: But they're a lot with you. Commissions are like a tip, but they're guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Did COVID Is COVID the thing to change this whole thing that all bets are off because of that?
Speaker 4: Certainly tips went up during COVID, and we started tipping in circumstances where we didn't ordinarily right. And I've not seen any evidence that we've come down from that. We've come down from the peaks. Tipping really went up, right when you know when COVID first hit that April May of twenty twenty, and it came down a bit since then, but it's not back to pre COVID level.
Speaker 3: And by the way, with food cost up, I would imagine it's harder and harder and harder. You know, my buddy runs a series of clubs, and he said, I can't print the menia anymore. I have to put it on something digital. Because the price of chicken, like chicken wing, goes up so much that I lose my shirt if it's at last week's price because they raised.
Speaker 1: Is that why they're doing there, I thought a lot, because we're moving to it's no touch, he said, because if you got three hundred places and every day the price of your chicken, the price of your potatoes goes up and you're at yesterday's price, you lose on every Yeah, so they got to be so the touchscreen has a reason there.
Speaker 3: But like you said, we're not going back once you're starting to do that. I got a question for you. Let me run through some categories here.
Speaker 4: Dog trainer, My wife trains our dogs. No, I don't tip we we.
Speaker 1: We heard that she got in touch. She hasked to the Jason buffet. You're at a buffet, you tipping in a buffet. Oh, well, we do tip in the buffo.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you would often leave a small time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the person that's going to be to bust the table.
Speaker 3: We do that, okay, girl scout cookie, Cela sitting at the table. You're buying girl scouts. It may look bad for a fifty year old. Gotta go, here's a little something for you. What's you gotta get a tip in there?
Speaker 2: The tip?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't tip. I wouldn't even think of tip.
Speaker 1: Have you ever tried to tip a girl?
Speaker 2: I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: But next year they have touch screens, they'll be swinging fifty forty.
Speaker 1: Well, wait before you get into the I'm sure you have more that are off, but tell me if you can. Maybe there's a because I was surprised to hear that. So the average now expected gratuity for a weight person in a restaurant is thirty percent.
Speaker 4: Oh in New York City, Okay, upscale restaurant.
Speaker 1: In upscale restaurants. But outside of.
Speaker 4: That, arguing that twenty is kind of the minimal tip.
Speaker 1: Now there you go. Uh huh, Okay, twenty five.
Speaker 4: Is a normal tip and thirty would be a good tip.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to run. Now that's not the heartland, right right, I got you, But I want to run like certain people that we are used to tipping. So what like a bellman, what's what's do you know what the average is? Again, depends on the.
Speaker 4: Hotel connecticutte expert right right, I would tip two to three bucks a back.
Speaker 1: Okay. What about a cab driver housekeeper at the hotel generally.
Speaker 4: Three to five dollars a night.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Food delivery depends, like for a pizza three to five bucks.
Speaker 2: How about a pizza in Minnesota in the winter.
Speaker 4: To go through Minnesota in the winter. All I can give you is what I would do.
Speaker 1: You know you've got your finger on thee. That's what I'm thinking. It's hard. Okay, what about mail delivery?
Speaker 4: You know, tipping government employees seems a lot like brib I'm noting.
Speaker 1: I like the way you're wrong, all right. Last one, gardeners or landscape folk, no.
Speaker 4: Because their contractors and presumably have already built me what they think it's worth.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling better about plumber because I give to all of those people because you know you'll be outed.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: You know what, even when I was growing up as a kid, and you know, my family was very, very working class. My parents gave holiday tips to the garbage guys, the mail guy. We had milk delivery back then too, so you know, all those guys got and I've always carried on to be honest with me, but the conversation in your house was you got to give the garbage guy. Wasn't that because he's gonna leave stuff, he's gonna make There's always a rationale of he did it, but there was a rationale no, to tell you the truth, I don't even know if everybody on our block was doing. It was something that my parents believed in. Maybe they grew up with it in some did some degree, but they always felt that the people who are performing a service for your year round.
Speaker 3: So did my son. But there was always a discussion of I think that's too much. There was always the way in, well, it's always a question of what what should it be? What are you crazy you're giving the garbage guy? Then then you could give them ail.
Speaker 1: That it was.
Speaker 3: It was like it was a brutal discussion, which, by the way, happens at tables now at restaurants. I hate that too. When you're sitting and you're settling up and it's a group and you're going and it's the guilt, the guilt tip where you got it? Then he did better than that. So other jobs. Guy saves your life on the sidewalk as you see PRP.
Speaker 4: No, no you are, you know, take them out to dinner.
Speaker 1: Or something, right, okay?
Speaker 3: And then and have him let the tip the postal you know those postal stores. So now with Amazon, you drop off the thing. He has to box it, he has to wrap it. They how much the tip? What percentage we get? We give him a holiday gift every year he's got to wait. Yeah, you go to the box. Well, somebody goes once a week. I'm saying to drop it off. Just drop it off a return we drop off, We pick up our furniture delivery guys delivering your new hassuck your new sofa.
Speaker 4: What's the tip if they're bringing it in the house, and especially if it's appliances and they're helping install it, Yeah, leave or something.
Speaker 3: I always like a plumber, even if I'm getting like killed with the billy the guy who came, because I forget the guy back there, what he's given him?
Speaker 2: How much you take that. Always.
Speaker 1: Anybody comes to the house and I'll tell you something that you talk about the celebrity thing. I always tip guys to come to our house because I say to them, you know, I'm sort of paying for their their discretion to go. Now you know where I live. Please, you know, don't don't do a.
Speaker 2: Thing from pot dispensary. That's a new thing.
Speaker 1: Michael Shirley. We we dispensary where you pick up your your marijuana products.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Sure doesn't have to.
Speaker 1: It's legal in Ohio.
Speaker 2: So the guy who delivers, what do you give him?
Speaker 1: And Michael the real embarrassing part of this.
Speaker 3: As we wrap up here, Iss and I discuss this. Are we giving you? What are we sending you?
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you where's your digital tipping jar?
Speaker 1: See jobs you?
Speaker 4: Wow? Hey?
Speaker 2: Is there ever have you ever refused?
Speaker 1: Do you in places like a restaurant where it is typical to tip? Have you ever not tipped because the service was horrendous or for whatever?
Speaker 2: That's the answer your face?
Speaker 3: Oh, you've always I thought, boy, if even that article you said f off, I thought you'd say ye, if it's bad service, the job is, that's your job.
Speaker 4: I've never gotten that bad of service. It would have to be pretty Can I imagine a circumstance where I would not leave a tip? Yes, because I've heard of cases where servers are downright abusive and and I won't pay someone to abuse me. But service is pretty good in this country, and I've always felt that the server deserved some.
Speaker 1: You know, there are some restaurants where you pay extra for to be abused, like the Carnegie Deli was a big that was why you went to the Carnegie to get a little abuse. I'm having having corn beef. I'd like it on a white bread. No, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Then place did he take tips?
Speaker 1: I don't know if we do tips. By the time I got there. In real life, I was I was banned. In real life, you were banned from the Sun was the name of the real place it was. Al Yagana was the guy that owned it. It was the soup kitchen. And I think fifty fourth and eighth.
Speaker 2: Why were you banned.
Speaker 1: For a very good reason? And I and I do understand, you know, the episode made him very famous and it and it did wonders for the soup kitchen. But Al, I don't know if he or his family, but they were survivors of the Holocaust. God, and that we called them a soup, not the whole So the whole show is not like that. And I was there like a year or two after we aired that episode and somebody said, hey, hell it's the it's the kid from the show. And he went, get out, get out, art imitating real life.
Speaker 3: So before you go, the one way around all of this stuff, the big loophole cash.
Speaker 2: They don't swivel the screen.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna give them cash, you're whipping out before they turn the screen, and they don't.
Speaker 1: Have a chance to turn the screen. That's you, that's your big ye. Cash is king, except now lots of laces. I haven't carried them, and I don't know how long this is America. This is a country that was driven by cash. Yeah, I don't carry cash. I don't think I've carried cash since I can't excuse me, we don't take casher? Hello, Oh well yeah, I don't Who carries you carry cash?
Speaker 2: I do carry cash. That's good.
Speaker 1: Don't to the parking lot. That will be a very good thing.
Speaker 4: If you don't carry cash, how do you tip the maid or the door.
Speaker 1: If I'm if I if I'm if I'm going to a hotel. But I'm telling you my day to day life. If I'm going to have lunch with a friends, I mean, I always know I'm going to be a tipping based on I.
Speaker 4: Mean, what's interesting is people are developing apps for precisely those cases where we don't carry cash anymore and we want a tip, and it's your traditionally tipped occupation like Dorman, Bellman, hotel maids. If you're not carrying cash, it's pretty awkward. They're developing apps to let you do that.
Speaker 1: Electric So now I have to ask the bellman for his information so I can send them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they often have a QR code that you can skim.
Speaker 1: I got to keep in touch, you know what.
Speaker 3: I want to develop an app so you can. You can turn this thing around before they turn their screen and go. I got the app here. I already paid you, so thank you very much. Yeah, and I paid it to show so on Starbucks to get it from him. I thank you for coming on sir.
Speaker 1: Leisure to meet you, and thanks for trudging through the snow to do this. A smile, well a million dollars smile, so we are joined out.
Speaker 3: Laurie, come in because I want you into this segment even if we use it not just a family, because you'll yell out something with jas Nitzebell. So mister google Hunt, Yes, who googles the things during the show that we need clarity on and looks things up to tell us what we've done wrong?
Speaker 2: What happened to this episode on tipping?
Speaker 5: Did you find Well, there was a moment that I was waiting for that we didn't hit on, so I figured I'd just google it and find the answer. A two thy fifteen study published by the Journal of Economic Psychology It's a great publication, found that waitresses whose customers deemed them more attractive tended to get tipped pore over the course of Really I want.
Speaker 1: To shop that.
Speaker 2: The Dutch stats that a waitress who's not as pretty.
Speaker 5: Guess how much more per year a waitress who is considered to be attractive by the patrons gets in tips more than her cohorts.
Speaker 1: You mean percentage or dollar figure? Well are yeah?
Speaker 5: Two thousand dollars and sixty one dollars is the which is a lot if you're the weirder part though most of the increased tips came from women.
Speaker 2: Oh from really that is interesting.
Speaker 1: So it's women who are making this determination about attractiveness. Apparently they are more than men. I have to say personally, I mean, like I've said, I always feel compelled to leave a good tip. But it's very hard for a wait person to know, because what I find I tipped more for is the quality of the interaction. Did I enjoy them? Did they enhance the experience of dining there with their personality? If so, you do. But there are many times when you know, we've all had it where you're you're trying to have a serious conversation at your table, or you're in the middle of something and you're just about to tell the punchline of a joke and they go, so can I tell you about the specials? And you know, and they've killed your whole thing. So it's hard for somebody who is a weight person to know how much should I interact? You know, what, what is the story? Yeah? Exactly, So I think it's a terrible position for them to me and because they have none of the information they need, and yet they are potentially being judged on the quality of their interrect I'm.
Speaker 3: Just laughing because we can't tell the story. But we eat out a lot. And you know, me at a restaurant if it's if it's not going well, I'm vocal.
Speaker 2: Because I'll yell.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, no, no civil way at.
Speaker 2: But I'm good because I try and make it fun. And then they always enjoy it.
Speaker 3: There's always you turn and sure, yeah, yeah, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: There's a particular place where Jason took me to that that is about joy and happiness.
Speaker 1: There's there's a restaurant that, you know, no surprise, a vegan restaurant where they name the dishes things like I am an adjective, I am resplendent, dian, glorious.
Speaker 3: And he yells, well, first of taking me, there is a mistake, right, I'm going to a vegan restaurant.
Speaker 2: Right, yea, and everything about it is I'm.
Speaker 1: Meeting and everybody there is going No. I know it's a hedge from a lawn, but it tastes like a prom stake.
Speaker 2: Can I go? Not in any lifetime I've been in.
Speaker 1: And so my favorite part is this this god he yells out, he yells out, in this restaurant in the height of its lunch out I've.
Speaker 3: Been waiting twenty minutes for my I am patient, So that's that's my By the way, the slide of I am happy, I'm throw and he was dying, and they were all dying. Everybody was dying to sing. The place is so pretentious.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, if you if anybody knows the place I'm talking about, it's actually fantastic and it's one of my favorite restaurants. But I'm not going to name names. No, but yeah, no, so all right, so yes, what else, David? So, attractiveness is a determined is a determiner.
Speaker 5: Here's one you probably don't want to hear. Some of your fellow celebrities who have gotten blackballed on the internet for being bad tippers.
Speaker 1: Oh we shouldn't, but I know it's a it's a it's a terrible thing. And you know, sometimes I don't know, See, I don't know what the etiquette of that should be, honestly, because there is a contract that says, look, you know, I don't have recourse. A celebrity doesn't have recourse other than to engage and go, well, they were I don't remember this. I thought I left a good tip or they were a terrible server. But but and either way it's it's just untoored. It gets very tawdry very quickly.
Speaker 3: May I just say that it is an equitable system because there are a lot of customer service people who don't get it. That said, if I'm doing okay, I always tip excessively. And my problem is because it's such an emotional thing. Bad server. I start projecting, probably having a bad day, maybe the dad has cancer.
Speaker 1: I always insert a story and.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to project what it is, and then I feel.
Speaker 1: About it, dad cancer, how about the headache?
Speaker 3: I feel responsible and I put a story to the face and if they're the worst they are, the more they go, yeah, yeah, bad, Oh my god, there must be something going on there because everybody has Look, everybody's got a fifty pound bag of cement on their sholder. Always tell my kid, when you cut off people in traffic, smile rather than give them the finger, and they'll smile back.
Speaker 2: You can. You can diffuse by being nice.
Speaker 3: So I try and be nice, but I do project the worst to serve the more I because I figure something bad is going down in their life and I owe them that to tab again nice, Can I profit you Here's something I haven't.
Speaker 2: Heard the word profit in a million years. Look that up Google profit.
Speaker 1: Why did you try this? When someone performs the service for you, a weight person, why don't you before you hand over anything, why don't you say to them what do you think your service was worth?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 1: What do you think is proper? And I'll give it to you whatever it is, I'll give it to you. Yeah, but then they'd be see. But if you put the onus on them, see what see. I'm not saying this whatever. I'm not advocating this. I'm just trying to make Peter I have another I would love for him. He'll do it. He'll go to a restaurant with me and he'll go, what do you think you're a work? You know what I'll do?
Speaker 3: Honestly, if I'm at a restaurant for you, I will do it. If I go, Jason would like you then, would like to know what you think you're worth? You know, he'd like to know what you think?
Speaker 4: All right? This is the.
Speaker 2: Money lord does.
Speaker 1: If we're going to be tipping, I would like to add the following people pilot lands the plane, give them a little sun. I always do that surgeon. He did a hell of a job. You know. Get me Dad Surgery said.
Speaker 2: I got to be out by four fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: A cop Firemann emt cos you're trying to brob me right. What did we learn is that? What we learned we.
Speaker 2: Learned that we have reception.
Speaker 3: We have no idea who should get a tip anymore. It used to be so easy announce all blurred like I'm looking at you, going do I give him five when we're done? Just because he did another episode?
Speaker 1: Listen read this episode by saying, I haven't gotten a salary yet, let alone a tip. So let me ask your question. Look, I mean, yeah, what do you think you're worth? You afford it, you work for the next ten years, you're couldn't afford watched the watched the episode, then tell me where you think you were. Ladies and gentlemen, if you have disposable cash, take care of the people around you. I think that's the thing we own today. You know what, It's a it's a kindness and it's a benefit for everybody. So if you can afford to do it, do it, and do it happily. We drop new episodes every Tuesday. If you're watching us, on YouTube, or whether you're getting us on the iHeart app or the Apple app, or wherever you get your ie, your iPad.
Speaker 3: Your pad, your iPad, yeah, wherever you get your your podcast.
Speaker 2: We will be here for you.
Speaker 1: Peter, thank you, and I'm going to take you out now. And there's a little extra something. And by way, all locations thing give, give, give happily. And I say, even if you're not happy, you should give. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm waiting twenty minutes. My restaurant is goodbye everybody.
Speaker 3: Thank you, David, thank you, Producer, Laurie. We'll see you next time. Good rice pudding though? Is it real rice?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah rice? They can do in a Figing restaurant.