Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers, coming to you with a live postgame edition of the show and Jack. The Diamondbacks lost eleven to one. It wasn't great the game. We'll talk about later because the biggest storyline from today by far was Dback's second baseman, kateel Marte. There's a lot here. Jack will dive into it, but the gist of it is that katel Marte did not show up at the ballpark due to personal reasons. Does not appear that the Diamondbacks know what those reasons are, and it also looks like the Diamondbacks don't know where kutel Marte is right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this entire situation castle entire paul over the team, in the organization, and the fan base on a night that should have been a celebration of the return of two outstanding young players. Instead, everything is completely overshadowed by the drama and the clear gut punch that this situation has delivered to management and to the team, to his teammates, we don't know what's going on exactly. We have some ideas about communications, which we'll get into, but the bottom line is is that this is really going to be a tough thing I think for this team to overcome, both on and off the field.
Speaker 1: We'll go ahead and start with with some tweets that we have. This is from Steve Gilbert, who is out in Boston tonight. For those of you who just watch the postgame show, some of this you might have seen on the air, but Steve tweets after the game. Diamondbacks manager Tory Leavello said he first learned Katel Marte might not show up tonight in the morning, but preferred to keep the specifics private, and then Steve added the d Backs shortstop Geraldo Perdomos that he did not know what caused Marte not to show up and that he had not talked to him today. There's just a lot to unpack here, Jack. It appears that Katel has some kind of personal situation going on. Interesting that Tory said he had an idea from early this morning, from when he woke up this morning that kateel might not show up at the ballpark today. This wasn't like a sudden thing that came out of nowhere this afternoon, but there appears to be a pretty glaring lack of communication. Frankly, the fact that the Diamondbacks don't know where kudel Marte is at present, the fact that they do not know what this personal issue is, and the fact that they waited until just a few minutes before game time to post their lineup because they apparently thought that he was going to show up to the ballpark and that just never happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean Tori's exact words on the post game. You know, I was just I just was doing my best to reach out to him, and there's very little coming back, you know. So for whatever reason, Katel has chosen not to communicate. Now, his phone's working fine, I mean, I'm just gonna say it. Around two thirty three o'clock he posted to his Instagram. It was a congratulatory message, obviously about Corbyn, Carroll and Pee a Lonzo winning Player of the Week. So you know, he was fine physically and able to function with his communication device, but he just chose not to use that device to communicate with his team, and look, I am not going to engage in speculation about what's going on with him psychologically, mentally, family, whatever. I have no idea, nobody has any idea. But he has a responsibility to communicate. And you know, this is a fairly egregious act to not communicate with your manager who's reaching out to you, and not communicating back to him and not showing up to the ballpark. Now, there may be some ultimately very extremely mitigating circumstances that may be reported, and I'm absolutely willing to entertain that possibility, but you know, it's just beyond reason that he would not communicate. I mean, it's not that hard to say. Look, I can't come today. I'll tell you all about it later, but I'm not going to be there. But to leave everybody hanging until game time, I mean, I can only imagine the confusion in the clubhouse as they're trying to put together a lineup and figure out who's playing and who's not. So very very tough situation for the Arizona Diamondback set clearly carried over onto the field tonight.
Speaker 1: This was from the Diamondbacks Twitter account at three point fifty eight pm Arizona time. Game time, of course four to ten pm, so this was twelve minutes before first pitch. The Diamondbacks tweet out this graphic saying that Jose Fernandez had been recalled from Triple A Reno and catel Marte had been placed on the injured list. Fernandez, according to two reports, was actually available. Was in Boston because d Backs were thinking they might have to put Nolan Arnado on the injured list, and so Fernandez was there. I guess it sort of worked out. He was able to step in started this game at third base. But it's just such a messy situation Jack, And obviously there's a history here with katel Marte. There's everything that happened over the offseason with the trade discussions. There's what happened coming out of the All Star break last summer where his house was broken into really tough situation, but still appeared that he just did not communicate and even though that was a tough thing to deal with, the he left the team in the dark in that situation, it did not seem that there was a good reason for him to not report to that weekend series. And of course there have been other moments in the past as well, so it's an ongoing narrative, and his relationship with Tory Lavello is one of the more fascinating things about this organization. It's been very clear that Toy cares deeply for Katel. You could see that in the post game show. Tory you went out of his way to talk about how much he cares about Katel and just wants what's best for him. But there's an undeniable element here of Ktel just falling short when it comes to showing up in one what is once again a really big moment for this Diamondbacks team.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're trying.
Speaker 1: To chase down the Phillies and the Padres right now, and they need to tell Marte to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Torri was obviously extremely emotional. I mean you could see the tears willing up in his eyes, and you know he he basically virtually broke down crying. You know, he held it, barely held it together, but you know, his voice broke. There were tears in his eyes clearly, and you know, he expressed a great deal of concern for Katel, you know, and just worried about him and all of that. And I believe that you know, I don't think that there's any reason that Tory wouldn't have a strong bond with the player. However, you know, this is a situation that they find themselves in and it's you know, you have to consider the possibility that this time around, this is going to take a while. You know, Nick Piccoro asked a question, you know, how difficult is it going to be for to tell to men fences with his teammates after this one, and you know, toris that I don't know. I haven't thought about that yet. I really can't address that, so you know, we'll have to see how it all plays out. But you know, I'll be surprised, pleasantly surprised if this is only like a couple of game absence and you know, there's a good explanation that satisfies everybody and he's able to come back unhindered and play soon. I mean, that would be the best case for to tell, for the team, for the fan base, and I hope that that's the outcome.
Speaker 1: The restricted list is just a weird, complicated aspect of baseball that, honestly, I've never fully understood what exactly the restricted list means. It kind of feel like it's this idea in baseball that no one really knows what it is. There's no minimum stay, there's no maximum stay. We see guys go on the restricted list for you know, ped cases. That's a more common thing if there's some you know, kind of investigation happening in the player, you know, situation like that. But you know, this isn't like a player going on the paternity list or something like. If you're on the restricted list, you're not paid, you don't improve service time, which I guess that doesn't really matter for a Catel at this point, seeing it is how he's already at ten years.
Speaker 2: At one point, Nick in his article mentioned that the team has the option to either pay or not pay him, and as of you know, six o'clock tonight, he did not know if the team was planning to pay him. So they could still pay him, that's up to them, and I don't think they will. I don't think they will in this case. Last year when they put him on a restricted list, they also docked his pay or they did not pay him for those days for those two games. So the odds are that they won't, but it's actually up to the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good call. So I guess it's it's unknown. We don't even know that. We don't even know whether it could tell Marte will be paid during this this bizarre stretch while he's on the restricted list, And you know, I guess you could say that from a baseball standpoint, like, I mean, let's face, it could tell Marte has not been a superstar caliber player in twenty twenty six. This is not as if you know, the cornerstone of your team has you know, stepped aside, and you're kind of they're wondering, like, you know, what is our roster without this player? Like maybe you'd like it to be that way, but that's just not the player that could tell Marte has been this season. At the same time, Jack, you have to wonder, just like them, from from a mentality standpoint, like what does this do to you as a teammate? You know, what were those guys in the clubhouse thinking leading up to first pitch today? Where you just have a teammate who isn't there. Heraldo Perdomo did speak to the media after the game. We read off some some notes from Steve Gilbert earlier. He didn't seem to say a whole lot. I mean, he said he didn't know anything about the Kutel situation. He said he hadn't talked to Kutel about this at all, and he said our goal now is just to go out and win baseball games, and that we don't, you know, need any distractions at this point. So just from a from a psyche standpoint, and I guess, especially given the way that things looked on the field tonight, it's it's hard not to wonder if, if the impact of this goes beyond, could tell Marte just not being in the lineup right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, it didn't help that Mitch Bratt struggled, you know, and we're going to get into the game. But when you start off like that and walking a bunch of guys and giving up some early runs, you know, it's easy to just get down on the whole situation. But you know, some of the early at beats as easy as oh they didn't look good, but they hit the ball kind of hard early on, just right out people. So you know, I bounce here or there the other way. You know, maybe Mitch Brad doesn't struggle as bad as he does, and the team you know is able to bear down, but like once they started to get down in this game, four nothing, five nothing, it just rolled away from them and you could see they there was definitely a letdown. I mean you could see it. The play on the field showed it. And it's not just about making out and not scoring runs. It was the way they played defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ugly day all the way around for the Arizona Diamondbacks. They lose in Boston eleven to one. And yeah, once again, this whole situation with Cautel Marte, we just have a whole lot more questions than answers at this point. As you mentioned earlier, when Tory was asked about the way forward, he said, I don't know. It seems very unclear right now. How long could tell Marte is going to be out for and what it would look like for him to return to the organization. Maybe try to mend what's been broken a little bit in terms of trust and relationships at least feels like that would be part of the situation there. So it is all very complicated right now in the Diamondbacks universe. We are going to talk about the game a little bit. It wasn't a great baseball to watch, but we will talk about a few details there. The Diamondbacks also made a whole lot of other roster moves tonight that were not related to the Ketel Marte situation. And I'm sure we'll circle back to some comments that you all have about what's gone on tonight, So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 3: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's almost setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them. For a family that is very much on the move. During his playing career so you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Thank you to all of you who are here joining us in the chat. We really appreciate you being here. If you haven't already, it really helps us out. If you would drop a like on this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel. Maybe you're finding us here for the first time. We're here three days a week talking about this Arizona Diamondbacksteam. If you're joining us on an audio only platform, it also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. So thank you to all of you for being here with us, for doing all of those things. We really really appreciate it. I don't know how much I want to dive into this baseball game, Jack, because it feels all pretty relevant right now. And then there wasn't really a whole lot to discuss other than Mitch Bratt didn't really have his command tonight. Three innings of work from him four hits, three runs, three walks, did not strike out of batter. Zach Lttel was probably even worse in relief in this one three and two thirds innings from him, he allowed eleven hits, eight runs, little bit of sloppy defense behind him. Six of those runs were earned. He also did not strike out a batter in this game, gave up a couple of homers. So it was just a really really rough night Jack. From a hitching standpoint. There was some tough luck occasionally on offense. D backs did have some hard hit balls that found gloves, but all in all, this was one of the worst games we've seen this team play in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean on the Mitch Bratt front, I think we have to focus there. He's the you know, fifth member of the rotation, and you know, his forcing fastball was down one point seven miles per hour. He only had one pitch recorded over ninety miles an hour. He had one that was like ninety one one, and everything else was down between one point seven and two point six. His slider was down two point six miles per hour, his sinker was down two point three. He only threw one of them. You know, the slur was down one point eight, so I mean essentially he was down almost two miles per hour, close to two miles per hour across the board. Now, you know, is that to do with maybe some mechanics tweaks he tried to make, you know? Or is there some kind of red flag underlying there? Tory didn't seem to think that there was, but we'll see, right, you know, after what seemed like a really good turnaround for him, this was a major step backwards for Mitch Bratt, and it does have repercussions going forward. Fortunately, Zach Lytel was not able to come in and calm things down, so that kind of, you know, it's not so easy to say, well, I'll just put Zach Lateell in this place.
Speaker 1: Is that fortunately that Zach Ltel gave up eight runs and three and two thirds?
Speaker 2: Did I I meant like, unfortunately?
Speaker 1: I might I might have misheard you. It was all it was all bad, It was all bad tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean I'm just thinking bigger picture right beyond tonight, Like, okay, if if there's an issue with Bratt and he's got to be removed from the rotation, the next man up is Zach Ltel, But that didn't exactly look encouraging tonight. Yeah, that's my point. That is all very fair.
Speaker 1: I pulled this this graphic of Mitch Bratt's velocity by game. This is just his four seam fastball, and tonight was not really a one off. This has been a bit of a larger trend for him. He was just up over ninety two miles per hour in his in his big league debut, that coming against Saint Louis, and it is generally gone downwards since then. His last start, his velo was just under ninety one miles per hour. In this game it was eighty nine point six. I guess you could make a case like, hey, Mitch Bratt, his game was never about velocity to begin with. If if he could just find the zone more consistently, or maybe better stated, just like be around the zone. I mean, he did throw about fifty percent of his pitches in the strike zone, which technically is really not bad at all. The problem was all of the pitches out of the zone were just so far out of the zone, or at least a vast majority of them, that he wasn't getting any kind of chase from Red Sox hitters tonight. They had a nine percent chase rate compared to an eighty two percent swing rate in the zone, so they saw the ball very well against Mitch Bratt. There was some soft contact here and there. He was able to kind of pitch around all of the walks to an extent. But when you're spraying the ball around like that, eventually you're gonna get beat. And that happened for Mitch Bratt tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean there are a bunch of pop ups, right, I mean, there are three popouts in the first inning surrounding those two walks. He got to pop out in a very shallow fly ball to right field. In the second inning, you know, in the third inning he started, he got a pop up and then a double and another pop up, so you know, one, two, three, four, five, six popouts to the infield and one week flyout. So I mean the outs were a lot of soft contact in between there, and I think that's just you know, throwing a fastball up at the top of the zone, guys getting under it, even though it's not not very fast, but there are tipping points, you know, when it comes to velocity in how one pitch plays off against the other and anyway you slice it. I mean, look, yes, he's not a fast velocity depending guy, but all the more reason why a guy that's like that can't afford to lose two miles an hour. I mean, if you throw ninety eight and you drop to ninety six, you still have weapons to get guys out. If you throw ninety five and you drop to ninety three, you still have weapons to get guys. If you throw ninety ninety one and you drop to eighty nine, that's going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was unfortunately for Mitch Bratt in this game. Offensively, not a whole lot going on in this one. Diamondback's just a run on four hits. There were some hard hit balls, as I said earlier, and I guess we'll transition to some guys we haven't seen in quite a while.
Speaker 2: Jordan Lawler hit.
Speaker 1: Fifth for the dime Backs in this game in the lineup for the first time since June. He went over four with three strikeouts. Didn't look real sharp at the plate. Jose Fernandez went one for three with a strikeout in his return to the lineup. So Fernande is a different case. I don't know exactly how long he'll wind up being here. It might depend on the catel Marte situation. But Jordan Lawler is a player that you hope could really contribute something down the stretch. At least for me, Jack not not too concerned to see him struggle a little bit on Day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean everyone was impressed by all the five homers and four games, but he was striking out of Fairmount too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He had like a thirty five percent strikeout rate and double a on his reab assignment.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm not gonna be surprised if it takes him a week or two to get rolling. Jose Fernandez was hitting really well since July, you know. And he had the base hit, which was a sharp ground ball that got through, and then well he lined out to left center, I mean as a rope too, you know, and the outfielder made a nice running play. And then on the strikeout, looking, you know, he just didn't challenge. There were two pitches way outside the strike zone he could have easily challenged. I don't know why he didn't, you know, I think there's just something, you know, I have one source that told me there might be some mixed messaging when it comes to calling, you know, making the challenges, and it certainly does seem like young players on this team, rookies and younger players are far more hesitant to challenge. So something's going on that makes all the young guys kind of hesitant to do that. Of course, Nolan seems hesitant to challenge too, so it's not only the young guys, but it seems more concentrated around them. You know. Fernandez, his first game back games kind of lopsided. Maybe he didn't want to get embarrassed by being wrong, and he wasn't totally sure. I mean, the other point is he doesn't walk a lot to begin with, and his batting eye may not be his biggest strength, so he may not have been utterly sure as we were sitting on our couches looking at a strike zone box to say, yeah, for sure, that was definitely a ball, but they were they were pretty wide misses built of them. One was outside, one was down low. So anyway, I actually was a little encouraged by that. Fernandes did bounce a throw over to first base. They called him the runner safe initially on replay. They did get him, like to see him get the ball up a little bit those on those plays.
Speaker 1: As far as the standings go, here's a look at where things sit in the NL Wild Card race. Diamondbacks are still on the outside looking in. With tonight's loss, they are now sixty six and sixty. The Padres did lose tonight to the New York Mets final score of two to one. There Philly is a back and forth game with Miami. They ultimately win that game six to five, so Phillies now have a two game advantage on the Diamondbacks. The Padres where they one game advantage and Jacket just doesn't With the Phillies starting to heat up now they swept the Twins over the weekend, they get game one against Miami. This is tough. I mean, on one hand, you can look at the numbers and say, you know, these teams are on pace for somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty five, eighty six, eighty seven wins. Maybe you don't have to go crazy to end the season to make the postseason. But the way that the Padres have played lately, the way that the Phillies are starting to play, it's starting to feel like, you know, eighty five might not be anywhere close when all is said and done.
Speaker 2: I'm not even sure that eighty eight is going to be enough. But you know, one thing to note also, I was kind of looking at the schedules today. You know, the Padres have a run where they get like four against the Giants, three against the Rockies, like back to back. So they've got their their Giants Rockies run of seven straight games against those two teams. So that'll be an opportunity for them to maybe you know, cut a little distance here. Overall, their schedule is like the Diamondbacks, and that is softer. The Phillies schedule is a little bit more difficult, and they've got i think six games left against the Braves, you know, who hopefully are motivated to make sure that they knock them down a peg. So we'll see where it all lands. But I figure that the Diamondbacks need to at least get to eighty eight games to secure a playoff spot. That's my opinion. That's the way I project things. So and eighty eight isn't a certainty, but I think that that gives them a pretty good shot. So that means they got to win twenty two more games. That's going to be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is going to be tough for sure. That would be the Diamondbacks finishing the season twenty two and fourteen if my math is correct, and that's a pretty tall order. The rest of season's schedule isn't too too difficult for the Dbacks at this point, especially once they get past this series against Boston, But nonetheless, it's not like it's a souper easy schedule, and that's a lot of games to win here, with about a month and a half remaining in the season, we've got more to get to in this episode. As I mentioned earlier, the Diamondbacks did make several roster moves that weren't related to the Katel Martes situation, so we'll dive into those, and we'll also maybe circle back with some final thoughts on what happened tonight with kateel Marte. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this. Well, if you're looking to catch a Diamondbacks game at Chase Field sometime soon, or heck, maybe you're looking to catch a game in Boston at Fenway Park here over the next couple of days. Seem like the d Backs were pretty well represented tonight out in Boston. Sea Geek is the place to go. With over thirty five million download, sea geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on seageek. It is not just based ball. There's concerts, festivals, other sporting events and more. And of course Jack and I have personal experience using the app as well. They have this lovely rating system on a scale of one to ten. You can see exactly how good of a deal you're getting, and I can attest that I find better deals on sea geek than I am able to find on any other ticketing app. Of course, we have a promo code for you all to use. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you see.
Speaker 2: Geek well Jack.
Speaker 1: In our last episode, we were talking a whole lot about Nolan Arnado and him kind of awkwardly running up the first baseline in the fourth inning on Sunday. Appears the Dbacks have sort of dodged a bule it there. Placing Ronado on the IL was not among the roster moves the team made today. And it sounds like there was a signal. Is the word that Toy used a signal of some intercostal something or other that popped up on his MRI. But the word right now is that Nolan is going to push through this, and Toy sounds very very thankful that Nolan is willing to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a very small signal till he takes his next hard swing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that might be case.
Speaker 2: I have no confidence in this situation. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but you know, this just this just does weeks of a situation where they're a little desperate and they're dealing with a gritty veteran who wants to keep trying, and they have to give him a chance. So he'll probably take off Tomorrow's kind of the what it sounds like, and then you know, maybe he can play in the series finale and try it out. You know, maybe he takes ends up taking off the rest of the series and comes you know, and then that comes back and plays after the road trip, so we'll see. But these things, you know, just one bad swing and it really rips could rip them up. So you know, unfortunately, with the situation, we could tell, the last thing that they can afford is to also lose Nolan to the IL. So they're gonna try, you know, And kudos to him. Like I said, he's a gritty guy. He's tough, you know. But I just I don't feel good about it, and I'll just leave it at that. I mean, I'm speculating, what do I know.
Speaker 1: Torri in his postgame presser, mentioned that it wasn't the delay, and the lineup being posted wasn't just about Coutell. It was also about Nolan Arnado's availability for this game. Ultimately, Nolan was available off the bench in some capacity. Sounded like more of an emergency type situation than anything else. But for right now, he's still on the roster. He's been hot lately. Dbacks can certainly use his bat in this lineup. There were a lot of roster moves that they did make. Jack, of course, Justin Martinez was reinstated from the sixty day injured list once and for all. I guess we were talking about mid August a few months ago. That's the one injury timeline that has actually landed about where we thought it would. So Justin Martinez activated here on August seventeenth. Jordan Lawler of course as well, was reinstated from the injured list played in this game, and then the corresponding moves there, Dbak's option Herado Correo down to triple A Reno. We talked about this a little bit in yesterday's show. I personally still don't really understand the thinking there. Tyler Locklear was optioned as well. We figured that could be possible, especially if Nolan avoided the IL, which wound up being the case. And then to create a extra spot on the forty man roster, Andrew Hoffman was designated for assignment. That's another possibility we touched on yesterday that the d bacs could designate someone who's been down in the minor leagues in order to make a room there. So a lot of roster moves. Really really busy day on that front for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clarifying one point or two with Huff and he had suffered a lot strain and he was on the minor league sixty day IL. There was some question about whether he would be moved to the MLB sixty day IL, but that would necessitate paying him major league minimum and giving him the service time. Clearly, the Diamondbacks went in the exact opposite direction. Now, he may clear waivers at this point in time. You know, there may be teams out there that don't want to put him on the forty man roster. We don't know, but you know, so if he clears waivers, he may end up staying in the organization and then just have to work his way back to health and work his way back to the roster. He's still got a great change up, as we talked about a couple of shows ago. But you know, sad news for Andrew. I mean, you know, he came over here with some hopes that he would be able to be an impact reliever and that just didn't work out, you know, taking Locklear off the roster. I mean, he wasn't playing. You know, he did have some decent batting numbers. I think he was betting two seventy six at the time. He was DFAD. I'm sorry optioned out, you know, and as you mentioned Jesse Correo, it makes little sense. But as soon as they indicated that they were calling up Santana, it was the only move that they could make. There wasn't any other pitching. There wasn't anybody else that they can option out. There isn't anybody that they want a DFA. So the only thing that makes sense is that they felt like they needed the depth for the long haul. They can bring back Carreo in two weeks if they need to, and you know, maybe it works out where Santana is decent and they bring back Correo in two weeks and now they have two good pitchers, So that's probably what they're thinking. And if Satana, you know, doesn't pitch well, they can always DFA him. So it doesn't make sense to maybe sign Santana in the first place if you don't really believe in his ability to make improvements. But that's kind of where this all falls falls in.
Speaker 1: I guess Santana is another player who made his long awaited debut. I guess it was a return for some of the other guys, but for Dennis Santana it was a debut. He faced one batter, Jack, and I don't want to read too much into it, but he did throw his first two sinkers. He kind of spiked both of them, and then he threw one that was in the zone was able to get a ground ball. So can only read so much into one at bat. But I frankly remained a little bit skeptical there. He did not have good numbers in the majors this season. The underlying numbers were all really rough. In tripa A, he had two outings, one of them and gave up three runs. The other one he threw a scoreless inning, So he's probably just going to be a low leverage type guy. So I guess the that Dennis Santana like loses you a game in the next two weeks is probably not very high. The stakes are not all that high here, even though I will still say I don't really understand the decision in this case as far as I guess. Circling back around to the Kittel situation, Jack Kittel has just been a topic of so much discussion here over the past few years. It feels like he's become very polarizing, where some fans are just not so happy about these kinds of moments repeating themselves, and you can certainly understand why, whereas other people are more like he's been arguably the best Diamondbacks hitter ever, at least in terms of longevity. He has a chance certainly to be at the top of a lot of the record's list by the time his career is over. But yeah, I mean, he's not going anywhere at this point. And if you're the Diamondback, I think you have to proceed. You just have to proceed in a way that that gives Katl a chance to come back and make an impact for you, even if it's messy, and it probably will be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see a little bit of a debate kind of going on in the comments section, So I'm going to weigh in here, guys, because I do know about this situation fairly clearly. So last year when the All Star Break ended, when the All Star Game ended, Corbyn and Gina were sitting on an airplane and Katl was supposed to be on an airplane and he didn't show up for the airplane and he flew down to the Dominican Republic. And if you did the hours, and you did the math, and you did the logistics, there was no way that he was going to make it back for the Friday game in Cincinnati. Subsequently, after he landed in the Dominican Republic, he found out that his house was robbed. That's true, that happened, but was not going to make it to the Friday game, and he did not communicate to the team that he was planning to go to the Dominican Republic and that he wouldn't be back in time for Friday's game. When we pressed him on it, he said, oh, my intention was to be, you know, back in time for that game. But what it would have worked out to is he would have had all of less than twelve hours in the Dominican Republic before he would have needed to get back on the plane and fly back to Cincinnati. So, you know, I don't want to the whole house was robbed thing that that was not the reason why the team was upset with him, you know, And that's not really the reason why he didn't make it to that Friday game in Cincinnati. So I'm very much in tune with all of that. I will say that at the time, I personally I asked to tell were you concerned for your family? At that time, and you know, for the safety of your family, said yes he was, and so I do believe that the extra day that it took was related to that. But he was not going to make it back on that Friday after the All Star break. So that's just a fact. I don't want to dive into his motivations there or anything. I'm just reporting the fact.
Speaker 1: That's all very good stuff. Yeah, I think it's important to get those details right from a season ago. Of course, down the stretch in twenty twenty four, there was the game where Katel felt the need to sit out down the stretch with the Diamondbacks right in the middle of a postseason race in that final week in twenty twenty four. The optics there not great either, but you know, this is the player and the person that could tell Marte is in some ways tonight is unfortunately not all that surprising given what we've seen the past few years. Kutel is otherworldly in terms of talent. We've seen that at we've seen the type of player that he can be. Certainly in twenty twenty three. Both in twenty twenty four and in twenty twenty five, it was it was unbelievable, and even as Katel continues to age, like I think there's a world where Katl Marte could still be a pretty good hitter at the very least. Maybe, I mean, maybe the defense takes a step back, But imagining Katell just like mashing, especially left handed pitching at the age of like thirty six or thirty seven, is not all that much of a stretch for me. The bat speed is still there, the athleticism is still I think, pretty good across the board at this point. But yeah, there's also this off the field stuff, these situations where he doesn't show up in the way that you wish he could, and that's just part of having Kadel Marte on your baseball team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, hopefully we'll have more information coming soon about exactly what's going on. Again. I hope that everything is okay with him and his family. You know, that's first and foremost. I mean, really the first questions I asked and wanted to know, and you know, I'll be honest with you. I even I reached out to Nick and Steve, you know, behind the scenes, and I'm like, hey, have they actually had contact from him? Because from the initial tweets that wasn't clear, and everyone was wondering, like, you know, is he safe, and you know, so Nick came back out and said, to be clear, he's safe physically, you know, And that was first and foremost at the top of my mind. You know, I see in the comment sections somebody wondering if it's a mental health issue, you know, and mental health can be just as devastating as you know, any kind of physical health or injury. And so you know, whatever help he needs, I hope that he's able to get. You know, this is a tough situation, I'm sure for him, for his family, you know. And I can understand why Torri had tears tonight. So I hope that nothing I said tonight does not come off as not having any empathy towards Katel Marte. But this is a team sport and he's got teammates in that locker room, and you know, for him not to communicate, it's going to be hard to accept a mitigating circumstance that would explain total noncommunication. That that's the problem for me. You know, I've taken days off work when I needed a day and I couldn't go. And they're human being you know, so certainly you know, I'm not going to judge on that, but you got to communicate. You just got to well.
Speaker 1: Regardless of what happens with Caateel Marte over the next couple of days, one thing we can say for sure, the Diamondbacks need to play better baseball than what we saw tonight out in Boston. Tomorrow, the pitching matchup is Merrill Kelly against Ranger Suarez. The finale of this series is going to be pretty fun pitching matchup. It's Brandon Fott and twenty three year old Lefty Peyton. Totally going for Boston in that finale. So Diamondbacks, they're right in the thick of this thing. They're now on the outside looking in, but still right there in the NL wildcard race. We'll see if they're able to get things back on track after a couple of rough losses in Atlanta and now in Boston. Thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time. If you haven't already, you can find us on social media. I am at Jesse n Friedman. Jack is at Shoe Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI and once again be sure to drop alike on the video. Even though probably not so thrilled with the storyline on this Monday night, that really helps us out. Subscribe to our channel do all of the things while you're at it. It's a great way to support the show. Jack any final thoughts here as we say goodbye on a very complicated night in the world of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Just best wishes to everyone out there, including Kattel and his family, all the Diamondbacks, and all you wonderful listeners that came in and hung out with us tonight. Thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate your time as always, and yes, we will be back with another episode of Snake's Territory very very soon.