Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: September thirtieth, twenty fifteen, from Comedy Central's World News headquarters in New York.
Speaker 1: This is the Daily Show with Trevor Noah Show. I'm Trevoroah.
Speaker 3: Our guest tonight, New Jersey governor and presidential candidate Chris Christie is yeah, and uh, that's right, that's right, promoting his new album I Want to Be President.
Speaker 4: But here we are Night three people.
Speaker 3: And you know what, since I've been in America, a lot of people have asked me if I'm having a hard time adjusting to living in the country. And the truth is yes, some things harder to understand than others. For instance, why do you let the baby lions in a sandbox in your bathrooms? And why did you let that giant mouse rule a magical kingdom within your borders?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, not that I was talking about the other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Luckily, there are things that do remind me of home, for instance having a black presidence and the difficulty of talking about race relations, especially when the police are involved.
Speaker 6: The only people in our society that don't believe all lives matter are generally liberals.
Speaker 7: We don't need to say all lives matter because white citizens aren't dying at the hands of police.
Speaker 3: Why has the black Lives Matter movement not been classified yet as a hate group?
Speaker 8: When people say all lives matter is actually a violent statement.
Speaker 9: I've seen far more racism against the cops.
Speaker 4: It's a divisive issue.
Speaker 1: It's almost as if there's no common ground.
Speaker 3: It really does seem like there's no common ground. It's almost as if this whole issue is just black and.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 4: It's a cookie. The problem is a cookie.
Speaker 3: The question is how can we even attempt to solve this problem in this heats of environment. To find out, Jordan Klepper and Roywood Junior filed this reports.
Speaker 10: Over the past year, cops have faced increasing scrutiny based on their actions against minorities. To get to the bottom of this, the Daily Show sent not one, but.
Speaker 5: Two correspondents to go deep.
Speaker 10: Super deep. So we decided to sit down with some cops to see why.
Speaker 5: They're racist or attack.
Speaker 10: Goodnight on to gonna be a graphic right here?
Speaker 1: No graphic, No graphic, Oh do exactly?
Speaker 10: After all the shootings of unarmed minorities throughout the country, the nation has now split into two camps. Either the cops are racist or they're not racist, but only one side can be right. So we sat down with former NYPD detective and Fox News contributor Bo Diedel to get the definitive answer. It's a tough question to asked Bo, but I gotta ask it.
Speaker 1: Good. Are police racist?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: That's good enough for me.
Speaker 10: I'm satisfied we're good here.
Speaker 5: I'm unbelief. Are you serious? Ye, You're not gonna ask him any more questions.
Speaker 4: He said, they're not racist, and.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm bias.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's new.
Speaker 1: All cops are not racist.
Speaker 5: Everyone's starting to believe like you are, that there is.
Speaker 1: A overwhelming conspiracy with all the cops.
Speaker 5: Go oh, let's go get a black guy and beat them to death. That's not what's going on there.
Speaker 11: Of course, the cops going to say police aren't racist. But what about an expert who runs a center which studies the police, doctor Phield?
Speaker 5: Goff. Okay, so let's start with the facts. All cops are racist.
Speaker 8: No, all cops are not racist.
Speaker 1: Told you all cops are awesome.
Speaker 8: No, all cops are not awesome.
Speaker 5: Nuance to this, There is nuance to this.
Speaker 8: Police, like everybody else, hold implicit biases. Implicit bias is the shorthand that we take for the automatic association between people and stereotypes that we have about those people. And we've done that with black and crime a whole heck of a lot. Almost all people hold implicit biases.
Speaker 10: I don't hold any biases.
Speaker 5: I don't hold any biases. I look at him, I see you, cool ass white dude. I look at shirt tucked in the lucky weather Man.
Speaker 1: Trust.
Speaker 10: I trust this guy, right, he's got southern Charm's a black dude without aarrans.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 8: If it's true that neither of you have biases, then you are very rare individuals.
Speaker 10: Well, I think that's true.
Speaker 5: I'm amazing.
Speaker 10: Not surprisingly, there's a program that Nerdy Shug Knight developed which trains police officers to delink bias from their decision making.
Speaker 8: We've been very involved in training officers to limit the influence of their biases on their behaviors.
Speaker 5: So a police chief comes to you and says, help, we just shot a black kid. They use helpless, so we quit doing that.
Speaker 8: Police chiefs usually don't call us and say help, but.
Speaker 11: Some police departments have sought out these techniques. Like this deadly forced simulator, which shows a series of real life situations that test your ability to not act on assumptions of race.
Speaker 5: Hey, what are you doing? What bias?
Speaker 11: Ass This Empire bias training consists of three key components scenario based training, written testing, and talking it out. To see it in action, we headed to the Madison, Wisconsin Police Department, one of the few in the country that has an extensive anti bias program, and there's a compelling reason why.
Speaker 8: Tonight there are protests over another deadly police shooting of an unarmed man after complaints of a confrontation this one last night in Madison, Wisconsin.
Speaker 11: So we sat down with the Madison Chief of Police, Mike Coval, to ask one little question.
Speaker 5: Are all police biased?
Speaker 9: Yes, the police have biases?
Speaker 5: Got him?
Speaker 1: Got him? You said, who are you calling black people? You're calling black people? Let me get that number.
Speaker 5: Yeah in Wisconsin.
Speaker 11: White dude just said it bias all of them.
Speaker 5: Uh huh to a black Twitter. That's good.
Speaker 1: You don't know about black Twitter?
Speaker 5: No, yeah, black Twitter? Hello, black Twitter. Hello, you should get a black Twitter.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious.
Speaker 10: I don't know what they're talking about at the time, but it is funny. So we admitted they're biased, and I have to say they seem like pretty nice guys.
Speaker 4: Looks good, looking good, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, right, my man. And then the scenario based training began. Of course, a couple of unbiased reporters like us would ace this.
Speaker 2: All right, role players, you want to get in position.
Speaker 4: All right, Jordan, you can go ahead and observe.
Speaker 10: We have the rap star over here who clearly hit this pregnant woman. I address these two guys and get back to business.
Speaker 5: It's not a rap star. He doesn't have a gold chain, all.
Speaker 1: Right, role players, Can you share with them what happened here? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, what's going on?
Speaker 1: CPR?
Speaker 10: Why is the black guy trying to kill the lady who's having a heart attack? Okay, okay, let's try this one more time.
Speaker 1: This scenario is called the domestic disturbance.
Speaker 12: You're gonna observe the scene, you know, maybe verbally control people involved.
Speaker 10: This guy's getting too old for the.
Speaker 1: Like lead the weapon.
Speaker 10: Have you seen leath the weapon like bad boys?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've seen bad boys do this.
Speaker 1: Your first Jordan.
Speaker 5: Action is everything? Okay?
Speaker 10: In here, excuse me, get away from the woman, Get away from the woman, diet down, did the ground?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Don on the ground, diet down on the ground.
Speaker 10: Bam, It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: A right and scene. That was fun.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you were great and scary.
Speaker 1: Try it, you love it.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry about having officer product all right, action.
Speaker 11: Stop crying?
Speaker 5: Stop crying? What happened? What happened? Why you're crying?
Speaker 1: Don't know?
Speaker 5: Her getting too old for that? Four seven two. Were gonna need a white female officer to come handle this.
Speaker 1: Knock knock hello, officer would as.
Speaker 10: A white female officer, I'll take care of this.
Speaker 5: Are you okay?
Speaker 10: Get on the ground, Get on the ground, Get on the ground, get away, get away.
Speaker 5: You know what. Okay.
Speaker 11: So maybe we do have her own biases and this training can go a long way to help officers make bias free decisions on the street.
Speaker 5: This is great. Oh, but there's just one little problem.
Speaker 4: You see.
Speaker 11: The shooting of Tony Robinson was six months ago. The Madison PD started their bias training six years ago. What the hell, Coval, What do you have to say for yourself?
Speaker 9: The key is that we've got to acknowledge that this is a problem that is recurring with all too great a frequency, because if no one's talking, because we're all hunkered and bunkered down, there's no possible way we can move.
Speaker 1: The needle forward.
Speaker 9: So I think if nothing else, show affirmative steps that you're doing something, damn it, that's going to make the training less likely to end in those outcomes.
Speaker 11: Okay, fine, but talk is cheap. Can bias training really change police behavior? How can we as a public bind to the realism that police biased training could work when you have so many incidents like Tony Robinson.
Speaker 10: Freddie Gray, Walter Scott, Sander Bland, Eric Garner, somebody who gets shot next month.
Speaker 8: Implicit bias training is a good idea, but it's not sufficient.
Speaker 5: You don't want to just do a training.
Speaker 8: You always want to do trainings with policy changes, with community engagement, and even that, there's still going to be these incidents because we live in a world where policing is frequently the symptom, not the cause of the n quality. It can't be that police are on one side, communities on the other. The police are the public and the public are the police.
Speaker 5: Just like in Bad Boys.
Speaker 10: Yeah you've seen bad Boys.
Speaker 5: It's not at all like bad Boys.
Speaker 10: It's a little bit like bad boys.
Speaker 5: It's not at all like bad boys. I mean, like, have you even seen bad boys?
Speaker 10: I have seen bad boys, so it's kind of like that.
Speaker 5: It's not at all like that boys. Bad boys, bad boys. What you're gonna do, what you're gonna do.
Speaker 10: When wake up for you with an open mind and an awareness of our piocies and cultural differences, nice people, When.
Speaker 1: Wake up for you?
Speaker 5: Why the hell am I in the backseat?
Speaker 1: Jordan Katwyn and Roy Wood Junior. Everyone will be right back.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Day to Show.
Speaker 3: Late last week, Chinese President Sijin Ping was in Washington for a state dinner and high level security meetings with Presidents Obama and as the presidence of one of the most powerful nations in the world. When seesion Pink talks, it's no laughing matter, joll.
Speaker 12: We have the right to uphold our own territorial sovereignty and lawful and legitimate maritime rights and interests.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sorry, that's a little funny. It is just just to be clear.
Speaker 3: We did not give that interpret to that awesome voice. No, that was Al Jazeera that decided the president of China should sound like he's in an all state commercial.
Speaker 4: But okay, I'm done. I'm done. Let's let's hear what he had to say.
Speaker 12: We must recognize that countries have different historical processes and realities, and we need to respect people of all countries.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm not that. It just sounds so amazing. I love this guy.
Speaker 3: It's almost like they pulled their translator from the top of an R and B song, like it.
Speaker 4: Was just there, like baby, I know I've been doing you wrong, and huh was there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I speak Mandarin.
Speaker 12: Right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I'll get back to y'all.
Speaker 3: But despite the lovely dinner with Zi, there are signs that Obama still may not fully trust him.
Speaker 6: President Obama will not stay at the Waldorf Astoria hotel while attending the UN General Assembly.
Speaker 1: The Posh Park Avenue.
Speaker 6: Hotel is now owned by a Chinese company, sparking concerns that the communist nation could spy on top secret communications.
Speaker 3: That's a real lazy way to commit espionage and es, be honest, come on, China, that's all you guys are gonna do. Oh We're gonna scale out to wall, sneak into the window, and then we ah screw it, Let's just buy the hotel.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For more On thiss we go to the Waldorf Astoria with our senior investigative correspondent, El Madrigal.
Speaker 7: Everyone, well, Trevor, the problem is worse than I thought. For the past three days, I've been over every inch of this presidential suite, from the four person jacuzzi to the eight hundred thread count sheets. But I'm bound to stay here as long as it takes to nail this story.
Speaker 4: That's great, Al, But why are you in a robe?
Speaker 1: That's a good.
Speaker 7: Question, Trevor. The bigger question is where have the Chinese hidden the bugs? My current suspicion is at the bottom of this glass. Nope, just another mimosa.
Speaker 4: Oh you're not investigating at all.
Speaker 3: You're just lounging around in a fancy hotel on our dime.
Speaker 1: How dare you okay?
Speaker 8: For your information?
Speaker 7: They sent a Chinese spy to my room last night, and she interrogated me relentlessly for ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: She beat my back with her fists and then.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna believe this.
Speaker 1: She tortured me with hot stones.
Speaker 4: All right, don't worry, I haven't cracked yet.
Speaker 7: What do you mean yet I have another Chinese spy appointment in ten minutes getting some seaweed face torture.
Speaker 4: This is all a waste. I will madriggle everyone. This man nothing that is not investigative journalism.
Speaker 5: I want my money back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight is the governor of New Jersey and he's also running for president. Please welcome Governor Chris Christy.
Speaker 5: Ah, this is it.
Speaker 4: We meet, meets again. Meet a lot of people don't know that. You're one of the first people to wish me good luck for the job.
Speaker 5: So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Dying on this summer, what a crazy place you were wearing shorts.
Speaker 4: I will never remember that. I should say it's.
Speaker 1: Better than he never remembers. Actually stop now, no, listen, there's no requirement to lie in your first week on the job. There absolutely is not.
Speaker 4: I guess it's different to your jobs.
Speaker 1: It's much different than my time.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks you for coming. U get straight into it.
Speaker 3: I guess I wanted to talk to you first and foremost about the biometrics. I was watching the debates and you were talking about people and their visas. People need to have their visas, and they don't need to. They shouldn't overstay their time in the US. I felt like you were talking to me personally, because that happened one time. But what I didn't understand was the biometrics. Right, you want people to get FedEx stamps?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you know that you already have ten FedEx stamps.
Speaker 3: Well, I was thinking of getting a stamp on my little Yeah, I was thinking of getting like a like.
Speaker 1: A tramp stamp. It's going to be bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, party overnight. But explain the system to me. Explain the system to me.
Speaker 1: Hold up both your hands. No, you got ten stamps already. Sow the fingerprints, yeah, okay, your prince younique to every human being, we should be able to track people who come into the country on visas for a particular period of time. These are people who are immigrating here to stay here forever. People coming here to work, work, or a student visa or a tourist visa. You're here for a certain period of time. Give a thumb print when you come in, goes into a database. You have to access certain services in the country. Give your thumb print again.
Speaker 3: But now talking about accessing those services, is it as easy as you say? Because I mean, right now, you don't even have exit fingerprints when you leave the United States, So I mean, how do you implement them to other places? I read you talking about implementing it in like car rental places, saying that people can't rent a car if they don't have that.
Speaker 4: But then how does that work? So if somebody comes in there and they and they have the fingerprints.
Speaker 1: With the fingerprint, you have a database. Yeah, and if it says you've overstayed, we tap you on the shoulders say thanks for coming the whole time. Oh, I'll be there the entire time.
Speaker 3: You're going to be at all the carnal agents every time, everyone is so confusing, not.
Speaker 1: One of them, but I will be at the one where you're returning.
Speaker 5: All right, this is.
Speaker 3: Absolutely just, But I mean, I mean, it's going to cost so much money. Seven billion dollars are estimates, Like that's just to overhaul it in the airports, right, would you not say that it's a little bit of an overshoot to try.
Speaker 1: A lot less expensive than a two thousand mile wall across the entire southern border. How about that.
Speaker 4: To shave my friend to shave to shape. Let's talk about those debates. Yeah, why were they so long?
Speaker 1: I'm still asking myself that question because there's so many of us up there. I mean, think about it. You know, I was up there for three hours two weeks ago, and I got to speak for a total of ten minutes. That's the entire time that you get to speak ten minutes, two hours in fifteen minutes. I'm just gone, Oh, who is that?
Speaker 5: Who is that?
Speaker 3: That's such an interesting one, because you know, it seems like it seemed like it was a lot about the infighting, you know, and I noticed you said that quite a bit. You said, we don't. People are sick and tired of listening to the bickering. They want to know what their plan is. And I didn't get to hear.
Speaker 4: What your plan is?
Speaker 1: What is your only had ten minutes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is your plan?
Speaker 1: I plan on what part of the number of problems we have in this country. I mean, listen, we have to inform reform entitlements in this country. We spent seventy one percent of our federal budget on entitlements and debt service. That's all money we're spending looking in the rear view mirror and not looking through the windshield.
Speaker 4: So read that's overhauling social security.
Speaker 1: So security, Medicare, Medicaid, disability insurance.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of disagreements on how to do that though, I mean, well there is.
Speaker 1: And my plan is to increase the retirement age for a couple of years, phasing it over twenty five years, so it's really only going up one month a year for twenty five years. And then also for people who make a lot of money in retirement. People make more than two hundred thousand dollars a year more in retirement, they don't really need a Social Security check. They're fine. Social Security check is needed for people who that's going to make the difference between rent and heat and food. We got to preserve it for those folks. The alternative, of course, is to bring more money into the government. But here's the thing. Why would we trust the government. They've already lied to us and stolen from the trust fund for Social Security. It's why we've got a problem now. So we want to give the same people.
Speaker 4: Who is the government? I'm so confused, are you?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I have nothing to know no no, no, no, no, no no no no no no no.
Speaker 4: Okay, So Chris Christy gets Chris Christy gets selected.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, something.
Speaker 4: Right everybody, and then and then to work big things. I heard you talking about. I saw it was on Twitter. Actually you're saying, dear DC. You're asking questions, dear DC. And one of the big things you seem.
Speaker 3: To be apposed is the fact that you say the GOP leadership is not working in Congress. They're not trying to move things forward. Big parts of that is the lack of bipartisanship. But I don't understand honestly how you can change it.
Speaker 1: You got to work with people. I mean, listen, I have a democratic legislature in New Jersey. For every minute I've been governor, I have a democratic legislature. That's not an excuse for not doing your job. You got to get to know these folks and you got to find compromise. Compromise isn't capitulation. It's compromised.
Speaker 3: But that compromise is limited when sometimes the people you are working with only look at the small things that you do when trying to compromise.
Speaker 4: I remember one time you touched President Obama and.
Speaker 1: I shook his hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you touched President Obama.
Speaker 1: Well like this, And the point is today, some.
Speaker 4: People in your Partsy haven't let you live that down. Can you change that?
Speaker 1: Well, I touched them, so I can't change that. But I didn't touch it. I admit it. I did. I admitted I did. But you know, I work with Democrats in my state all the time because the people elected them, and so you got to work with them. It's not an option. And what's happened in Washington now is that people think it's an option, and it's an option to close the government. It's an option out to talk to the other side. That should not be an option. You get sent there to work to govern. And that's what I've done in New Jersey. You know what, don't mean we always agree, but we find compromises, and we've compromised on a bunch of stuff over time. That's made the state a better place. And that's what you got to do.
Speaker 3: So then, the biggest obstacle you face right now before I let you go is getting those poll numbers up. Now we've seen people surge in the polls. My question to you, Chris Christie, is what is your plans get those numbers up? Arguably, people say you need twenty to thirty percent to get the GOP nomination.
Speaker 4: What does Chris Christy do in this situation to get those numbers up?
Speaker 1: Coming on the first week of The Daily Show at Trevor Noa Begga Provinor Chris Chris on Wine for President.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast