Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too. It is the bonus hour here, the final hour of our training camp coverage from Saint Vincent College. Matter. It'll be like another what three hundred and forty some days until we're back here doing radio once again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's about right.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, three sixty five in a year, Take twenty somesh Off's that's about it.
Speaker 3: When I'll be craving it again.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, exactly right, when we miss it. All of our friends at Sharky's, Adidas and all the beautiful scenes and the fun times and memories that we've had out here. It's always been fun, but it is always fun to get up out of here as well. We were laughing with, you know, our buddy John who owns Sharkis of course last night, he's like, man, I've loved having you guys here. He's like, but at the same time, you yinsers could go back to Western Pennsylvania. It's like, he's like, I need to just be you know, in unity township with some Westmoreland people, some of the trop people. He's like, I love you guys. He's like, but I'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: It's every year. It's like, it's not personal, it's just we like our town the way our town is. You guys invaded like Locus, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Coming here and eat up all our wings and drink all our beer, and then you disappear for another forty eight weeks. No, it has been a lot of fun. Final hour here on campus, and we'll try to have some fun and close this thing down in good fashion. I didn't want to make sure to mention this, Matt, and it is the final hour of the show. So now it's probably a good time you and I will not have shows Tuesday and Wednesday, right because yep, Matt, Matt has a Matt scot some you know, some kids and some college stuff going on and some move ins and all those things. But we will be back Thursday to do kind of a preseason game number two preview show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that works out great, And.
Speaker 2: Then obviously no show on Friday because of the game. We'll have pregame coverage and stuff going on. By that time, you can catch Matt and Tom on the pregame show, the pre pregame show.
Speaker 3: Of course, are we back on video Thursday.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I didn't say that because I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Ye I, I haven't got verification. If we assume we will after.
Speaker 2: I think we are on Thursday, But if not, I would definitely think following week.
Speaker 3: A regular routine.
Speaker 2: Yes, a week from a week from today, we'll be back and do starting routine and video the latest.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, two hour shows again and you know, normal format in next studio next week.
Speaker 2: We'll be a little wonky too, because we won't have shows Wednesday Thursday because I'll be traveling Wednesday up the Buffalo with the team. Course Thursday, I will be in Buffalo, but the then we will have a Friday show to recap everything that happens there at the new high Mark Stadium, which Matt, you know, the sports dork and me already Quinland and I are are our game day producer. Dan Quinland, great dude, has been doing that, Matt. I think this is his fifteenth season, I want to say, for Dan, and he's not that much older than me. He's only a few years older than me. He's been doing it for a long time. We were both already talking like, hey, we're gonna go to the stadium a little bit early on Thursday in Buffalo. I mean, why not. It's a seven o'clock game. What are we gonna do? Hotel the rest of the time. And we're like, yeah, well those around, walk around the concourse, see what see take in the new stadium and all that stuff. So looking forward to of course preseason, curious what you think of it? Yeah, Friday against the Jets and then that quick turn and around. We'll be getting back on a plane on Wednesday for the final preseason game and yeah, you know, you know, I'll lay it all out for you and what we see and what we liked what we didn't like there with that new stadium up in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: So if people don't know, I know, get new listeners and seasons starting to roll along. Here. I do the pre pregame show with Tom Offerman and that's four hours two hours long. It's four hours before kickoff. And then I do another hit about an hour before kickoff with with Mike Pursuita and that crew. And then I'll be you did last game, and I'll be doing the postgame show for the next two preseason games too. So on game day you can find.
Speaker 2: Us, Yes, you can. I on game days. Of course, most of what I do is behind the scenes in the booth, but I do host, do host the halftime show on the Steelers Audio Network and on DVE, and then I host the pre the post game wrap up before before I kick it to you and PURSUITA or pursuit Oh. I enjoy doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just late.
Speaker 2: It's that's the only thing weird. I got to the stadium at two o'clock, Matt in the I got to the stadium at two pm on Thursday, and Pursuda and I were on air from ten thirty to one am. Yeah, And so that's just it's just like it. It's by the time, you know, by the time I bet. And this is very first world problem. I'm not I'm not roofing, I'm not laying concrete, I'm not doing real physical labor. But by the time you've been yeah, you've been at the stadium for nine hours already, and then you have to do it too. Yeah, you've already done a halftime show and have already worked the whole game, and then you got to get up for a show and it goes till one in the morning. But it's always fun with the callers. It's it's always fun. You and I have talked about this, like it's sometimes it can be rejuvenating when you do a little radio with somebody you don't do it with often you do Tom Yeah stuff with Pursuda and some of our other friends. It's just a different conversation and a different kind of a different change of pace and all and all those fun things. But hey, I'll be there. I'll be there with you Friday night, you Pursuda and me and in the in the broadcast booth deep into the evening, hopefully after the Steelers take care of business against the Jets.
Speaker 3: I shure mention though Tom and I show is from Stay Je so you can stop buying just say hello. That's true.
Speaker 2: A lot of people always ask like where can we see you? Guys say hello, yes you can.
Speaker 3: You can stop buy well before.
Speaker 2: Four hours ahead of kickoff. For every home game, Matt and Tom will be out there doing their thing for two hours, which of course leads up to the pregame show with Pursuita Labs and Jerry Dulac and then of course our broadcast team of Rob King, Max Starks, and Melissa Matthews, although Missy does not do preseason as well because she does TV side of things.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it was. It was really weird, but Charlie does. Charlie Batch does turns into a TV star for preseason. That's why I get the call over.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it was weird for the preseason game. And we'll get to the tweets here in a second. It was it was weird for the preseason game, Matt this past Thursday, because for a few years there we had two sideline reporters because remember it was Missy and Max on the sideline and then Wolf and Rob or Wolf and Billy hill Grove up in.
Speaker 3: The Wolf was on the sideline for a while too.
Speaker 2: He was yep, absolutely, And so since we had two sideline reporters, even though we'd lose Missy for the three preseason games, we'd still have Max doing sideline no problem. Last year, which was the first year that Max moved up to the booth, you know, in place of Wolf, we had Ramon Foster did the sideline. He's now the Titans analyst, the color commentator for the time. He's the Max Starks of the Tennessee Titans. So great opportunity for well earned. He's good on air, He's he's a lot like Max. He's good, he's funny, he knows the game, he's got good delivery and all that stuff. Time and I don't know, you know, if there was just the right person wasn't available, or if they decided to just scrap it. But so for our preseason games, we don't have a sideline reporter from the three preseason games. So that was weird for me. That's like a big part of my job. I was, I was like, this is a lot easier, Like this is a lot less stressful, trying.
Speaker 3: To make to worry about that aspect.
Speaker 2: Hey, Missy, we need an update on uh player that's in the tent, and I need you to move five yards to the right because that camera from CBS is interfering with our connection right now.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, you deal with that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. So it was a little a little less stress free. But I will obviously anxiously await the return of the great Missy Matthews to the sideline when we get things going against the Falcons in September.
Speaker 3: I will say you, uh, your initial preseason post game show you got a pretty nice situation. I mean there's been times where the folks that are pretty lubed up, that have been tailgating since noon and the preseason game doesn't go so well. The calls are not earal pleasant At times, a man will sure everybody you know right.
Speaker 2: Fire you too. You worked for the Cleveland US, you turn coat. Let's sait some tweets Here at Wesley at Williamson NFL is where you can get involved. Oh who's gonna lead us off? Here? Let's see teams. This tweet from smooth Smooth Dave. Interesting one from Smooth Dave. Teams that pass on second and short generate an explosive play twenty six percent of the time, verse just two percent of the time when running the football.
Speaker 3: I do know it's one of the most efficient play calls out there, throwing on second and short.
Speaker 2: Basically, he did some some metrics of calculating coaches and where they.
Speaker 3: It's a may I stuff. I saw that one retweeted again.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy ranks Tier one as seventh most aggressive coach overall in those situations in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And by aggressive, I think he means calling a pass there as opposed to paying second and short.
Speaker 2: We're not just gonna try and get the first down. Let's take a shot.
Speaker 3: Here, and not to mention the league's going for it more on fourth down, you have three chances. If it's second and two, unless you're like deep in your own end, you probably have three chances to pick it up. So why not, you know, try for an explosive there and it does hit more than the runs.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: As McCarthy showed him as a preseason game, he was pretty agressive with his play calling and fourth ound stuff things of that nature too.
Speaker 2: Smooth Dave also adds in the spirit of guys who were able to fill more than one role. A Landon Roberts could be an absolute hammer at full back.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you picked that one. I just read that too, because he actually did that with the Patriot He did. Yes. Now, I think this fullback rule is not just run downhill and destroy somebody in front of you. You know, like back in the day Tim Lester and Dan Kreider and some of those dudes, you weren't throwing the ball, you weren't handling the ball, maybe touched it twice a year. They didn't do left the right motion very much. They lined up in the eye in front of Jerome and smash themone's face as hard as they could. And I think Roberts could absolutely do that. Yeah, but I don't think this was smooth Dave was implying. I don't think you could save a roster spot and not keep knowing Howski or a fullback just because Roberts has done it in a very Belichickian manner with the Patriots. The more he can do, the better. He has played some offense early in his early career, and I guess he could get you out of the game. But what they want from this fullback is a little bit more check and running routes and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sudesh says, long time, no Sea boys. He said I would try him put Adam Autumnwayo to the practice squad and have him be the last one cut. From that earlier conversation, Yeah, I just think Robert Spears Jennings is too dynamic to take a chance on losing him and leaving him out there. But ove the decisions to make when you have a pretty deep roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, these are all good problems to have, and unfortunately, or to some degree slightly fortunately, there might be one or two ir spots or you know, things like that that make this a little easier or could make it harder, depending who it is it gets banged up. But yeah, I think that was the right conclusion. That's why I wanted to do that early in the show. Is somebody likes it, you're gonna lose, Yeah, you know, to keep that fourth.
Speaker 2: Along those lines, Ian says, I would agree with thinking that Autumnwayo would be the last one out. I think the way Rogers has been talking up Roman Wilson, he won't get cut. Same with Ben Skronick agreed. The more you guys talk through this, the more I think they cut Mason as a surprising move and just keep the younger quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. And it's just not how the organization.
Speaker 2: It is not how the organization is structured. We all know that the Pittsburgh Steelers, they believe in having the best product ready to win games every single Sunday. And so there is still the possibility that over these next two weeks, one of Will Howard and Drew Aller could make because I don't think it's just a Mike McCarthy decision, you know, where they could all go collectively. Hey, you know what we feel about as good about Will Howard, do we feel about as good as Drew Aller as Mason Rudolph And yeah, they don't quite have the veteran savvy, right, but we think they could do the job needed if they have to come in for a couple of games for an injured Aaron Rodgers. But unless that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that still seems like a lot to ask.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot to ask that these two are just gonna keep ace in the test these next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: You're the first quarter all right, take it easy against the Ravens. Do you want Rudolph coming in to seal the game or do you want Howard? You know what I mean? You want Rudolph?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 3: You gotta lead, you know, and you didn't sit on the ball. Be smart, don't screw it up. Now it's a different story. If Rogers gets hurt for the year and we two, then it might just be allur Let's see if you see, here's your time. You know who's to say.
Speaker 2: Matt, that's a Twitter segment. But guess what we're gonna do another. We're gonna keep this touch the tip of the ice prink exactly right. We got plenty more tweets to get to. We'll do that when we return. We'll keep getting your questions, comments, concerns, and reactions. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. Hey, if you want your tweets, read high above Chuck Nolefield here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. You only have about forty more minutes to do so here in this calendar year of twenty twenty six, West Schuler, Matt Williamson. It is down the home stretch of our training camp coverage right here on Steelers Mission Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage out twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and buy iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: We roll along here in our final hour, our final bonus hour of the drive, and our final hour of all of our Steelers' Nation radio coverage here on the campus of Saint Vincent College for this twenty twenty sixth edition of Training Camp with still Matt the ongoing Saint Vincent practice in front of us. These guys are putting in some hours.
Speaker 3: I say they're getting a good work done. I've been kind of paying attention. Yeah, they're out there working hard.
Speaker 2: Let's roll along with the tweets here, as we've got plenty more of these to get to. Jeff says, what percentage chance would you put on Will Howard making it to the practice squad if he were cut? Also, also, I would like to see the running Game have a better showing on Friday. I hope you guys have a safe drive home tonight on Route thirty.
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks for that. And I agree with the Running Game that I'm I think it's just a little uncertain at this point. I can't say I have a lot of faith at this moment, good or bad Howard do the practice squad?
Speaker 2: I think the I think the biggest question would be would he As you laid this out, I think it was just yesterday, Yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Were talking about I think that Sharky's I'm sure for you talked about on that.
Speaker 2: I think you mentioned on the air yesterday too, of if you're Will Howard and they end up cutting you, so you know clearly that Drew Aller is ahead of you in the pecking order, your fourth, you're fourth. Would you really want to come back to Pittsburgh? Would you want to go somewhere where you would be third and maybe even have an opportunity to be second, to have a real chance to compete.
Speaker 3: Like watching that Hall of Fame game. I mean Carolina Panthers. Could he go ahead of pickets before long? If he signs on their practice squad? I mean, so anyone if he gets cut, anyone can claim him, but he has to go on their fifty three. I don't know that anybody would claim him. Now. Maybe if he has two really good games he's upcoming weeks, that's good enough. There's some teams that definitely could use a quarterback of that nature. But then if he's not claimed, he has no If he gets claimed, he has no stock of where he goes. Sure, you're now a Panther, now you're a bear or whatever. But if he clears waivers, he is a free agent. It's not a foregone conclusion that he will re sign with the Steelers and Dealers only now most people do because when they release you, they tell you we'd love to bring you back, and we put a lot of work into you. You did a lot of work for us. You know the system. You would fit right in on our practice squad. There'd be no adjustment, especially for quarterbacks. I don't have to learn a new system. I know exactly where I stand. But you can't tell me there's fifteen or twenty teams, or he'd be higher up in the chance.
Speaker 2: Higher than fourth.
Speaker 3: I'd be higher than forth exactly. And a lot of our teams only keep two that you could be third, maybe by default, even if you signed somewhere else. So if the Steelers cut him, I would advise him, and no one's to hear this, and he's not gonna listen to me not to resign here.
Speaker 2: You would, I think, be hard pressed to try and look in the mirror with a straight face and say that this would be the best situation for you. If that's all how it ends up playing out.
Speaker 3: Now, you could look at it in a big picture perspective and be like, well, Rogers won't be back Rudolph free agent after the year. I could come into camp, me, Drew and somebody else, first round pick maybe, and you still would probably third on Tote Poll or Baker Mayfield or you know some of them, or something like that, or you know, not to mention. I do think it wouldn't be all that impossible for the Steelers to resign Rudolph, especially if definitely Howard's on the mix, definitely not give him a similar contract the one he is now.
Speaker 2: McCarthy, you know, jives with him this year. Yeah and everything. Ian says, I want to know from the expert, mister Matt Williamson, who which player across the league under the radar has the biggest potential for a breakout season. Ian says, personally, I really like Deshaun Stribbling in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Oh coincidentally, we did a podcast today about rookie wide receivers, you know, our six pack we talked about, including Stribbling, including Bernard. That a lot of these like mid round the top guys. Tyson's hurt again, which is terrible, thanks for him. Yeah, Titans had a miserable showing against the Niners, and Tate didn't look particularly good, neither did Ward. But a lot of these other receivers the day two guys, the Striblings, the Bernards. A good one that we really stressed was Hurst with the box who I loved remember out of Georgia State. Yeah, yeah, I loved him. Both the Browns guys. You know, so a lot of these receivers, including stribbling. I think are really acclimating. Well, I could probably go on and on about you know, breakout candidates. Rather people just threw names at me.
Speaker 2: Let me throw two at you, all right, Luthor Chicago Bears, he could go insane. DJ Moore is gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's into year two now and doesn't have hopefully the injury issues that he had last year. Yes, I think Luthor Burden the third is primed for a big year.
Speaker 3: He's currently dealing with an injury. But I also think his teems like he's always Yeah, that's true too, but I think like his teammate Adunza is slept on though. So if you watch their tape early before a Doonza hurt his foot, the passing game went through him, and then after his foot injury, Burden got more involved. Lovelin got a lot more involved. But I think Burden's talent he could be a star sooner than later.
Speaker 2: The other one, Matt, maybe this is cheating because he was just a year ago a top ten pick. But what about Ashton Genty.
Speaker 3: I mean, the situation has to be so much better for him. He had to do everything on his own.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you're Kubiak. You know, job number one is we're gonna draft for an into Mendozo. We're gonna develop him into a franchise quarterback. But I think job number two might be we gotta get Ashton Genty in that run game going, because that helps job number.
Speaker 3: One big time, and he's a really talented player. The O Lions added Linderbaum and some other pieces, and Mendoza probably won't be on the field week one, but I mean, can we get a good running game going for when he watched out on Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: John one asks, with training camp wrapping up in La Trobe, will you guys go back to two hours a day? We will? Yeah, maybe we will, John, And we will also for all of you who lament every time that we are no longer on YouTube, we will be back on YouTube, if not Thursday next week and real soon here for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe ye. Things we backed to normal soon.
Speaker 2: Matt says, hey, fellas, now that Drew Aller and Will Howard are future Hall of famers having observed training camp other than quarterback, what position would be filled best in the first round of the draft next year. I love Warren and Dowdell. I think they should be good fits. But wouldn't having a Bjon Robinson type running back in this offense beat best?
Speaker 3: Yes, but I don't think Omar cons E as an economics salary.
Speaker 2: Cap dude, first round running back.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine first round running backs are going to be on his priority list. I mean, he drafts tackles that you can't get on the open market, and I fully condone that sometimes Beijon's just too good to pass up. I get that too, But it's funny. I actually thought about this, you know how, I do weird things, like when I'm dozing offer and I'm like, who else could be the first round pick? I don't think wide receiver's crazy.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're gonna play three receivers heavy and Pittman and Metcalf are both expensive and twenty nine, you might want the next number one or compliment to Bernard, or one of those two isn't back. I don't know. I'd have to really dig into free agents, but I think it's highly unlikely that Jalen Ramsey's back his age and his cap.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if we break this down real quick, Yeah, Steelers first round pick in twenty twenty seven, number one on the board odds has to.
Speaker 3: Be quarterbacks still at this point I think so.
Speaker 2: But then after that, I think you could start to argue wide receiver, wouldn't say running back, wouldn't say tight end of this sea. And I don't think at this point I think we'd say not offensive line line. It's so much there.
Speaker 3: It might be one of the few years that I can done not even taking a O lineman at all.
Speaker 2: So first round pick could certainly be a quarterback, would certainly be a wide receiver. Defensive side of the ball. I don't think it's going to be an edge rusher. No, I don't think it's going to be a defensive lineman. It could be, but I it's.
Speaker 3: Supposed to be a very good D line class. Maybe Cam says I had a good year, I'm retiring, and then you change your mind.
Speaker 2: Or maybe you look at it and you go, it's a really good D line class. We'll get our guy in the second round.
Speaker 3: Maybe. I think off the ball linebackers are very.
Speaker 2: Hang off the ball. Linebacker and corner I would say, are also possibilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I assume Porter Dean Everett will all be under contract, and I don't think Grahams will be back just because I think he's like a thirty million dollar capit and he's be getting older at that point. So maybe you want the big slot type. But do we know that Peyton Wilson's a success, Patrick Queen's a free agent? Who else is in the wings to be a star there? I also don't know that Omar would spend a first round pick on a safety or a linebacker either, because there aren't positions that are, you know, super scarce. But I could see linebacker being a glaring hole.
Speaker 2: It's already interesting. Look at us. Yeah, we haven't even gone.
Speaker 3: You got to think negatively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you mentioned, scouting and projecting and a lot of that stuff is negative by nature. Yes, yes, r J says, if the Steelers keep four to four quarterbacks, which position group, do you guys think, like, well, this is what I poached.
Speaker 3: This is where we started show. Yeah, I read that and I just kept thinking, I'm like, I'm not sure and I don't want to deal with it. In two minutes at the end of the show.
Speaker 2: And RJ and everyone else who missed it, that's where we started today. At the top of the first hour if you want the full breakdown. But we basically Matt came up with defensive line or wide.
Speaker 3: Receiver, something on defense. Really at all likelihood were the only twenty four defensive players.
Speaker 2: Don't we don't want to cut Roger Jones and he would really be the only option off on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Do we only keep four linebackers? Yes, So Brunner was not in the mix. He was not, I mean he didn't. He was kind of a quick cut for us, and he actually is a pretty good has to make the team.
Speaker 2: It's not an easy exercise.
Speaker 3: No, it really isn't.
Speaker 2: A lot of times we think it is, but it's never it's.
Speaker 3: A could be d line, it could be linebacker, it could be safety. Yes, all those were a little light for us.
Speaker 2: Yes, I those were all kind of Matt and I were kind of looking at each other like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, you get a little uncomfortable, get a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: There's not as many chairs left on the Titanic as you.
Speaker 3: Think, and we need two or three injuries all of a sudden. Then you're calling somebody off off the couch to play safety for you or linebacker, you know, exactly right, exactly right, and that's scary.
Speaker 2: Let's see here. Oh. RJ also tweeted, this was a funny one. RJ also tweeted, uh, excluding the four major team sports, who's the greatest athlete of all time? I wanted to get your quick thought of that one.
Speaker 3: The first one game of mine was Uhammed Ali.
Speaker 2: It's a great one. My first one that came to mind was Michael Phelps. All he's a fantastic, fantastic one Tiger.
Speaker 3: W uh huh, throw Arnie Palmer back.
Speaker 2: People like Simone Biles and Katie Ladeci probably deserve to get mentioned.
Speaker 3: Is there a tennis player?
Speaker 2: I was just gobody. I was just gonna say, like Nadal Venus Federer, I mean like Venus Serena. Yeah, I think Venus conversations Usain Bolt should probably be mentioned in this conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all he's hard to beat. All these very hard to beat the iconic nature of it all, and yeah he still holds up.
Speaker 2: It's a really good one, really good one. A J says it's time to play either neither or both number one Steelers for the twenty sixth season. Rudolph and Howard, Sorry sorry sorry, start a game for the Steelers in the twenty six Rudolph Howard, I would say.
Speaker 3: Either either yes not both or neither, and Rogers could stay healthy.
Speaker 2: And again Aaron Rodgers has missed one game the last two seasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still it's just I mean, if this was the Bills, I would say the backup has a better than fifty percent Foreverya.
Speaker 2: Absolutely make the playoffs. Bengals Ravens either neither or both. Either either one of them will. Yeah, I'm not gonna go with both, but I'm not gonna go with both.
Speaker 3: AFC is pretty crowded, it sure is, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure is. We'll do as we get through this last preseason game against Buffalo here, you know, in another two weeks. Then when we have that kind of gap there of those two weeks before we get to the opener against the Falcons, Matt and I will do plenty of that division picks and playoff picks and all that.
Speaker 3: Stuff, and we will have to do some of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Number three from AJ has nine plus sacks, Herbig and Watt either neither or both.
Speaker 3: Either, because I mean I think high Smith might have nine plus two. I mean, they have three guys with double digit sacks.
Speaker 2: It's a good point, just heart. I mean either could get hurt either either the right play. Yeah, I want to say this is the smart money. Either's the smart money. Number four.
Speaker 3: I mean, how many snaps is heard be going to play the entire year if nobody gets hurt? Five hundred, right, and there'll there'll be some pass rush opportunities.
Speaker 2: But I like this exercise by age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is good.
Speaker 2: Number four has more than ninety five targets. DK Metcalf and Michael Pittman.
Speaker 3: Junr either, but it definitely could be both. That's not a crazy number to get to. But there are pretty many miles to feed, and you have to think.
Speaker 2: I think either are they both to play? Right? What if one misses two because of an injury?
Speaker 3: Right? Or get suspended? No, he wouldn't do that again.
Speaker 2: I think either And five scores three plus touchdowns this season Friarmouth and Washington. That better be both. Better be both.
Speaker 3: But if Rogers only throws for my only is not the right word. Twenty eight touchdowns six plus go into those two maybe maybe four to I'm gonna go aa, I'm gona go both.
Speaker 2: I thin I'm gonna go both of that one. I like that exercise then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they all were not easy ones either. They were no brainers. Jeff even come on on that. That was good.
Speaker 2: That was good. I like those kind of questions. I like this one from Jeff to for the Steelers to win their seventh Super Bowl, list seven things that have to happen for them to win it seven and or seven things that can't happen for them to win it. Health obviously being excluded.
Speaker 3: Okay, something has to happen. I would say, is top twelve quarterback play?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would say you have to also have a top seven offensive line. Yeah, I don't have top five. That might be a little rich, but you got to have a top seven or eight.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say you're gonna have to have a top seven defense too. Absolutely, I think those things are not crazy to ask for. Either.
Speaker 2: You need to be towards the top of the league in explosive play differential.
Speaker 3: Because I don't know that they will be.
Speaker 2: Remember four of the five teams that to Championship weekend were in the top five there. Yeah, I think this fourth quarter defense, I would just say things like that, time of possession has to be a plus, not a negative.
Speaker 3: He can't be twenty eighth again, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: You need, I think, to be Mike McCarthy's Packers tenure, where they were not one of the most penalized teams in the league, as opposed to some of his Cowboys teams that finished first and second and fourth and most penalties.
Speaker 3: How about like what we talked about last summer, I mean back to like being like top three in sacks.
Speaker 2: Top three in sacks.
Speaker 3: I mean sack ratio is not quite as important as explosive, but it's third on the list behind turnovers and explosive. I think they could lead the league in sack ratio. I mean, Rogers doesn't take sacks. The protection is better, ball comes out quick. They got a really good pass rush. We'll do a Brandon Thorne exercise at some point that'll back that.
Speaker 2: We will. We'll do that Thursday. Okay, Yeah, I like all of those yards per carry I think needs to be at least league average. No, I would say at least be in the sixteen to twenty range. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And then I guess the things that can't happen would be all the inverses of those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the same conversation we just said, can't be at three to seven or you know.
Speaker 2: I also would maybe something we should add for that, Matt is you need someone to be a viable third wide receiver. Yeah, or even just pass catcher, even if it's Pat Freyermouth having that breakout season. But you need other than dk And and Pittman. You need a viable, productive third target.
Speaker 3: I may even take a step further and say the number two, which I think will happen, needs to abuse single coverage. You know, like the Austins of the world didn't abuse single coverage.
Speaker 2: They did not know, they absolutely absolutely did not.
Speaker 3: You gotta have a balanced receiving a corps. They can't just be metcalf In, the.
Speaker 2: Pips, the Pips. This guy's fuddy, this guy's funny. Uh. Sudesh says for best non major four sport athletes, Ali, Serena, Phelps, and Pele, I guess does count because you know it wasn't It wasn't football, basketball, baseball or hockey.
Speaker 3: He's the best soccer player ever.
Speaker 2: I think listen, and I think I think if you say I think if you say anybody other than MESSI now I think you're kidding yourself considering the eras. But Pele's in the conversation, Maradonna's in the conversation, and those guys technically, but they did play team sports, which again for the parameters of before you know, the four major sports, I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it they weren't one of them.
Speaker 2: But but that is a good people on the.
Speaker 3: Planet would say they're one of the four major sports. Outside of America.
Speaker 2: Let's see here, Aaron says, I look at Aler, and Howard is having way higher ceilings than Mason Rudolph. I think Mason is an insurance plan. I'm comfortable with either taking over, even though Mason has the experience. With McCarthy, I think I'd give these young guys an edge. Now the McCarthy, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I give Howard a way higher ceiling than Rudolph. I don't a higher stealing the rudo.
Speaker 2: Aler, I think so, yeah, because the arm talent that's why he's not going anywhere, is undeniable. But you know what, the McCarthy angle there is an interesting one. And in last tweet here.
Speaker 3: And I do think McCarthy would put a Howard or Aller in a good situation if they got thrust into a game.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and uh and Sudsh kind of says that too. He said, you know the fact that all three Steelers starters looked up to snuff is a testament to Mike McCarthy loving this new regime. So yeah, if you were going to move on from Mason Rudolph and take more of a risk with your backup quarterbacks, you have the head coach feel feel confident is going to have them as ready to go, and.
Speaker 3: You'd hope there's the running game in the line and defense in place to not ask as much as you would have a Rogers or whatnot. Exactly right, that's a good angle. I mean, boy, we could have that conversation forever. We sure should he keep three or four?
Speaker 2: Sure could, and I'm sure we will continue to until we until we find out the answer. And obviously we're gonna get two more major data points with these final two preseason games. Our last training camp segment on the other side, will wrap up proceedings here at Saint Vincent College, Chucknolfield. If you've got any training camp h questions, comments, concerns, reactions for a shoe, better tweet now or wait until next summer. Eu'ller Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverageup dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Listen Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com, the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Here it is folks. Here, it is Matt Our final segment from Saint Vincent College, Steelers Training Camp twenty twenty six Rock and Roll.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, Let's do it, bring it on home.
Speaker 2: And you know what, Matt, we have I think just enough tweets left here to get us through. We're doing a final Twitter hour here with our Bonus Hour Steelers Burner, our buddy from York, Pennsylvania that we met a few weeks ago at camp. Back to the Steelers' fourth quarter defense, could Mike Tomlin and Tarilosophe's philosophy of bend but don't break, you know, allow yards but not points have been a major contributor to those struggles, just bending too much and finally breaking. And when looking at Patrick Graham, he seems like he has a much different mindset towards that.
Speaker 3: I think Graham is a much different mindset towards it. I don't know that I would phrase it that way in terms of the last staff, because I mean, were were they a bend but don't break defense?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but they did give up a lot of yards compared to points. It felt like it felt like they were always in the top half of the league of points per game, which is great, but they were always towards the bottom third of yards per game.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm still attributing fatigue age getting schemed up differently as the game goes on and frankly not adjustin great. Yeah, I don't know that. It's just the style of playing defense. I mean, yeah, yeah, I'm kind of defense on that one.
Speaker 2: Annie says, can you remember over the years biggest surprises, good or bad from players based on what they did in training camp verse what they did in season.
Speaker 3: It's probably a million.
Speaker 2: There's a million, you know. It's funny, and these are the.
Speaker 3: Type of like Dale was sitting here for that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's what I got for you. You remember Ola d Yeah, dude, I remember the first week of pads. He was murdering people in backs on backers. Yeah, murdering people. And I was like, Okay, this guy, here comes the next debo, you know, here comes Harold is pass rusher for the Steelers. He was murdering people in backs on backers. Drill.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. Probably a ton like that.
Speaker 2: And and I thought had an amazing camp, a really good preseason, and then just it just it just never happened for him. It just never happened for him. I know there's a ton like that. But for whatever reason, he was the first name that I remembered. And maybe that's because I think that was my first training camp, so you know, I could kind of remember it. Yeah, every day I'm down there at practice, and I would always be kind of hanging around, like a puppy like behind Touching Wolf and just watch what they watch, you know, see what they're seeing. And every day it was like this ninety two guy is destroying people. Last year, he's gonna be a superstar, and he was never really able to carve out that career in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say I cashed it in for our final segment, but I am thinking a lot about the burger I'm gonna get on the way home because I'm quite hungry and ready, be ready to get on the road and all those good things. But I'm having a hard time coming up with names. But I'm definitely if I could rewind. I bet there's two every camp we're like, oh, we're sitting here at this point like, well, that guy has a teammate, he's a demon, He's destroying everybody, and then you never hear from again. You know, it's just a nature of the game. You know, who's a three man roster too, you.
Speaker 2: Know, absolutely, And we we churned through, we churned through, uh you know, just almost one hundred guys out here every single year exactly, uh, Matt.
Speaker 3: But there's been a lot of times you go to the watering holes at night and like that guy, did you see what he did today?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, he came out of nowhere right right right, and then you don't never hear from again.
Speaker 2: But you know what, though, it does work the other way, and I know.
Speaker 3: We've Harrison and Warren and Jalen.
Speaker 2: Warren was one where it was like by the fourth or third, fourth, fifth practice, everyone was like this Warren guy looks really good man, like undrafted, he's gonna and then it went to he's gonna make the team, and then all of a sudden, he's I mean, he's been a very good running back.
Speaker 3: Now they're better at it than we are, I mean, the coaching staff, coach McCarthy, et cetera. But that was one of my concerns with how they structure practice. I think it's harder for those guys to stand out. Sure, Like I don't know if Warren makes the team. If you do, if you don't have backs on backers and you're not allowed to break tackles, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Maybe he has a couple of big preseason games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe latches on the practice squad and eventually makes you know, his way there, But it'd be a tougher road for him.
Speaker 2: Smooth Dave says, what Steelers players could we trade for a first round pick right now? Fewer than you think, Fraser, Yeah, you think for a first.
Speaker 3: That age, it's true maybe, I mean the next team would have to pay him though.
Speaker 2: They would, you know they would, but you'd be getting your guy for ten years.
Speaker 3: Someone might give you a first for Fulton who already maybe. I think that's it on offense.
Speaker 2: That's it on offense, Yeah, Joey Porter Jr.
Speaker 3: Because I canna give him thirty million?
Speaker 2: Two you do?
Speaker 3: I mean, but a first lot of teams, a lot of tea top of the market contracts usually don't work out well for the buyer.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: I don't think get one for.
Speaker 2: What not not after last year, and I think high Smith you could definitely get a second, but I don't know about a first. Probably the same for her Big. I think there's a lot of Steelers you could trade for second round picks pretty easily. Yeah, like a quick phone call, second round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're interested, Mike Tomlin, I mean there's definitely players.
Speaker 2: Now he's spitting.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he's thinking along the lines of can I get to nine to get to the next Josh Allen or whatever. I think there's players you could include with your first round pick and next year's first, you know what I mean. Like, let's say you win a playoff game, but you don't have a quarterback for next year. You have no, you don't have enough faith in all Er and you're picking twenty five. I'll give you twenty five next year's first in high Smith to get to eight, you know what I mean? Yeah, But in terms of trade him straight up for a first, this team's not great in that regard. But the league has fewer than you think too. I mean, there's Josh Allen's you'd give up ten first round picks for, and there's you know, there's not one hundred players.
Speaker 2: I bet, And for the vast majority of TJ's career he would have been an easy yes. Oh yeah, yeah converse. Yeah, for sure, I shouldn't say vast majority, but for a long stretch of Cam Hayward's career he would have been an easy yes.
Speaker 3: In this car, I mean, Metcalf for a second, wasn't crazy And two years ago, a year before that, he probably would have got it first, but not at this stage of his career. I bet there's you know, I'm sitting here thinking, like Eve, if you went through the top one hundred that just came out in NFL dot com or whatever, not, all those guys would get a first definitely. Not no, definitely, I mean like Travis Kelcey's on that list. Yeah, no chance. I mean yeah, Jaylen Ramsey's on that list right right right, there's Steelers on it. Cam Heyward. Yeah, last question of camp, you were in the league than you think?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely. Last there's almost more guys that you could trade for multiple first round picks than just a first round pick because the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Guy right, yes, Parsons and Garrett, and we saw those guys.
Speaker 2: Trade for some of the people like pas Certain I mean yeah, yeast partner just went for two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's Corner's worth more than sauce.
Speaker 2: Jeff gets the last tweet of camp. He says what foods? What food will you miss most from the Steelers cafeteria and which media member ate the most wings at Sharky's. Alan Saunders is the answer to that second?
Speaker 3: Really every night, I never really eat a sharkis that much?
Speaker 2: We don't unless we're doing It's the nights we're doing shows.
Speaker 3: Right, because I either eat my night show or the because we.
Speaker 2: Don't we go over to the cafeteria for the free food before before we you know, go back to the hotel and then hit Sharky's.
Speaker 3: Rarely do I walk in Sharky's hungry exactly right.
Speaker 2: And if I do six o'clock doing a show, because normally we're not going there till a little bit later. Uh, I feel like Alan and maybe Chris Hallick one of those two every night. Those guys eat there every night at Sharky's. Those guys, those guys eat yeah, yep, and they always get wings always.
Speaker 3: Which look tremendous. I'm just never hungry at the time. It almost convinces me to get them even though I'm not hungry.
Speaker 2: I get them whenever we're doing the Show's there though, because I'm I'm hungry and they're comped by management that we love. A big shout out to.
Speaker 3: John, which one are you gonna miss the most? Though?
Speaker 2: At the Steelers cafeteria you camp in general, I mean the wings always, I don't care if it's Sharky's. I love their Cajun wings, their seasoned wings, their buffalo wings, their southern white wings. I also had dinos though sweet heat for days. I will I will miss those big time.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of caffeteriro mess just all the options, all the options. There's a sneaky one for me though. I'm sure you've noticed in the little fridge behind you. Oh yeah, I know these little yogurt parfets with and you pour the granola on top and they have berries in there. They've just been so convenient in life savers for me when I come over to practice and I'm kind of hungry, I didn't eat breakfast or I ate something small. They were just always there and they're fresh, and they did the trick.
Speaker 2: These breakfast croissant sandwiches that they would have up from the zoo. We're pretty good too.
Speaker 3: The wings grew on me too. That are in the hallway. That yeah, that's a season.
Speaker 2: One thing they got here in La Trobe is good food. That is that is for sure. That will do it for Matt and I from this training camp. A couple of days off here and we'll be.
Speaker 3: Back to not helping my hunger situation.
Speaker 2: Matt's going to be soon out of here to the closest fast food joint that he can find Matt a couple of people. Thanks to all of our all the different media guys. I'm not going to the scenes because I'll forget, but all of our friends who joined us for a segment or two throughout camp. Thanks to them. Thanks to Justin Miller and Brian Lamartina for producing for us back at the Ranch. Big shout out to our guy Ed Troup for wearing a million different.
Speaker 3: Throughout throughout awardless yep.
Speaker 2: Throughout camp. And of course to each and every one of you who tweet the show. We camp always king, you know, one of our fearless leaders, him and him and Brian Lamartina, all the people who are nice enough to flag Matt and I down here on campus or at Sharky's and say hey, we love the show. Love listening to you.
Speaker 3: Guys with the spring Hill site. We're super nice us, the folks that are getting keeping these fridges, you know, full of.
Speaker 2: People, all the good people here at Saint Vincent listeners, and of course all you good people out there for Matt Williams and Unles Ueler. Take care everybody. We will talk to you soon. It is the drive. Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network,