Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the thin trend line. Because our president has drawn a maybe a thif red line. I don't know what kind of bread line he's drawn. He's drawn a line in the sand, folks, could be according to the mainstream media, my name is Jack.
Speaker 2: That over there is Miles.
Speaker 1: And these are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, May nine, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's start off with Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yesterday we mentioned how he did the unprecedented pausing a shipment of two thousand pound and five hundred pound bombs to.
Speaker 2: Israel, so now bomb pounds.
Speaker 3: He's publicly warned Israel that the US, like, we will stop sending offensive weapons if there is a major assault on Rafa, which is basically the like one of the last cities that has not been completely destroyed by the IDEAF.
Speaker 4: And he said to quote, I.
Speaker 3: Made it clear that if they go into Rafa, I'm not supplying the weapons. And then later on, like when a sort of you know, a National Security Council spokesperson, they're like, so, what's the deal is Ben said, It's like, well, if they smash into RAFA, then we don't want to be a part of that.
Speaker 4: We're watching very closely what they do.
Speaker 1: If they do a precision knifing movement or pincer in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very vague, and I mean like from everything you are reading there, there's definitely you know, there's shit happening in RAFA. So it's not quite clear what he means. And you know, Net and Yahoo has basically said Israel can stand alone if they don't want to, if the United States is not interested in providing any more offensive weapons, and to be honest, they're the stockpiles that Israel already has thanks to partners like the United States, billions of dollars of bombs, like we have bombs. So I'm not quite sure. I would love a little bit more texture here. But again, like I said yesterday, it's like for every fucked up headline, you get one of these things like I'm not I'm not I'm telling you to go in there, Jack, We're not sending no more bombs to you. Yeah, and now it's like, well, if they smash into Rapa, it's like, this is so vague. Yeah that, yeah, we're yet to see what exactly that means. And then again many other spokespeople like this, you know, this Pentagon Press secretary basically said, it's like this doesn't mean like we're not gonna be standing by to help defend Israel. So it's just a very it's a lot of a lot of you know, many many, many meaning.
Speaker 4: Statements that we get. That's just very fucking confusing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they're using the same language. Like when the mainster media will be like, yeah, the blasts have killed civilians, we don't know who they're from or what caused the blasts. In this case, they're like, uh, you can't smash in, which is like an arbitrary word that they can then choose their own definition for exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, we don't consider that a smash.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, from you know, the earlier reports I read, you know, they're already you know, civilians already dying.
Speaker 1: There are millions of lives at risk, and they're using language that wouldn't be precise enough for like could you imagine if, like the NBA, if their rules were like you just can't like smash him. You know, it's like a smash, this isn't a foul if you well you just like.
Speaker 4: Cut up to the rest. You know you're a fan of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know a smash when you see it, you just can't like smash into them. And we feel like that wasn't quite smashage. It feels like they're like smashage.
Speaker 3: They're like edging with actually fucking doing something to see like that?
Speaker 4: Is that changing the bowling at all?
Speaker 3: When I said I won't send any more offensive weapon other ones?
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe, but just those ones? Did that work? No? All right, let me let me, let me jack it up a little bit. They smash into there. Uh but yeah, it's again, it's.
Speaker 2: All on the plane smashing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exatly, please define smashing Biden administration, because otherwise it tends to ring hollow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: A Republican lawmaker has claimed that the KKK is the military wing of the Democratic Party in closed door meetings ahead of anti semitism hearings. This really feels like we're headed for just true hell with regards to anti semitism hearings about protests, like people protesting just it's a rhetorical high of innocent people.
Speaker 4: Is what's happening? Rhetorical hijacking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know stand with the KKK is the military so oh, because he's trying to say, like, I mean, as Southern Democrats, is that is that?
Speaker 4: Is that the line that's trying.
Speaker 1: To No, no, no, they're talking modern times, the KKK and modern times.
Speaker 4: Oh oh.
Speaker 2: A lot of young people.
Speaker 1: Think somehow it's a right wing organization when it is the military wing of the Democratic Party decidedly, unabashedly racist and anti Semitic.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is all this is all horseshit. Obviously, this bill that where they're trying to codify what anti semitism is and basically saying like, well, any anti Zionist speech will be anti I mean this yeah, it's my god, It's like it doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help anyone to put these like half like hair brained bills out there just to create the sort of optics to again be like, yeah, because what you're seeing out there right now with all these students who are who are trying to express their their absolute fucking how sickened they are by being complicit as Americans in this genocide, that's we're just going to be like, that's.
Speaker 4: Actually hate speech. That's hate So that's bad. Yeah, that's hate speech, So don't even listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good docular cliches for eight hundred Alec. I do think it's going to work with a certain portion of the population, Like it feels like that's the sort.
Speaker 3: Of because you have to really intellectually, like to have your own analysis and you're this, like what your perspective is, if you're just going to be like, oh, okay, so that's anti summon, Okay, Yeah, well I'm that's bad. Don't do that and not listening to what people are talking about again. Yeah, well, spectacular failure and not failure. The media is doing what has to do. It's upholding the status quo and just doing whatever it has to to keep people as misinformed as possible when the fucking stakes couldn't be higher for you know, the one point three million people that are are trapped right now.
Speaker 1: By the way you did just inadvertently create a better name for Alex Trebec. I feel like Alec Trebec is a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: A little class I reverse Jack's dad.
Speaker 2: I took that off.
Speaker 1: My dad calls Brad Pitt Brad pitts and you took the Alex and Alec Alec Trebec. It was just like a little bit class here, isn't it than Alex Alec does feel a little bit it's a little bit more Jeopardy host ish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was watching Ken Jennings last night on the Tournament of still called the Tournament of Masters, which for me, I was like, oh, what's going? But I knew three things?
Speaker 2: I know them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And I impressed the people I was with.
Speaker 3: There like oh wow, I'm like, yeah, Villainius is the capital of Lithuania.
Speaker 2: Damn. I would not have known that one.
Speaker 4: It was a lucky yes.
Speaker 3: That was also me saying the worst wrong answers out loud about ten of them before I actually hit one than.
Speaker 4: The right, like almost like hey dude, please stop like yelling at the TV.
Speaker 1: I'm like yeah yeah, or showing everybody else see.
Speaker 3: Yeah when when they're like what is it the wayne like correct? I literally did the fucking Leonardo DiCaprio. Once upon a time, I would pointing at the TV, fucking meme.
Speaker 1: Get in front of the TV, pointing at it, making eye contact with everybody, or watching it.
Speaker 4: With flexing on them like what are you doing? I'm like, this, are we doing dance on the West Coast?
Speaker 1: Want to just talk about the show Hao Tani story mane, Yeah, because it has a very like the details of the story would seem to suggest one thing when you actually like do the reading into the investigation that is happening. And yet everyone I talked to is like, that has the opposite of painting. So basically have we talked about it at all that like the best major League Baseball player?
Speaker 3: We did, I think when it first when the story first came out, and we were like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 4: And we're like, is is.
Speaker 3: Show hey a gambling addict and you this dude is cover or that the appears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So basically, his interpreter was found to be like betting vast major League Baseball star sizes of money and you know, not interpreter sizes of money and got caught doing so. And people were like, well, this feels like it's Otani, and like this dude is just falling on a sword for him because you know, that's the cool thing for him to do for Otani and also it's the you know, would be what major League Baseball would want him to do. But when you go into the details of the story which have like subsequently come out, and like you have these like quotes from the investigation, like the details of how addicted the translator is or the interpreter is is just like so yeah, Like there are quotes from him that are just like, lost another four hundred thousand, Lol, need you to extend me another five hundred thousand this time. I'm good for it. I swear to God, I'm gonna pay you back this time. Hit keeps fucking God, damn. I'm telling you just Lakers are going to beat the Nuggets. The Lakers are gonna beat the fucking Nuggets. I'm telling you yeah. And you could just like see the process of him going from being like I'll dip into his account a little bit to cover this because I'm good for it, and like I'm just gonna win the money back anyways and just now being down like tens of millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, but.
Speaker 1: The public perception is so like that that seems to be the story as current, like based on the information we currently know, there could be a cover up happening, but like the actual texture of it when I when you read the quotes between the interpreter and like the bookie who is a Housewives of an Orange County character for some reason, like he was the person they had like this like money laundering thing happening, where like he would pay them money that they would then convert into I think chips at a casino and then gamble with those on the tables and then come back and like that was how you kind of cleared it so that it wasn't quite as obviously illegal. But it just seems like somebody getting into more and more. Like it seems like a gambling addiction PSA and horrifying, like really awful stuff. But everybody I've talked to about this is like, but come on, it was definitely Odani, right, Like it's definitely.
Speaker 4: Why they need that to be true.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, like like I said, like there's a there's another anecd or not anecdot This is like part of like the investigation where like he asked Otani for like sixty thousand dollars for dental work. Yeah, and he just like wrote him a check. But then the guy pocket like just a positive the check and then used Otani's account to pay for whatever this was. I don't know, I don't know what the fuck you get for sixty thousand R I know, like, what if you get veneers, they can be like fifteen hundred.
Speaker 4: Dollars a tooth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know if you fucking laced your whole grill with porcelain veneers. I don't look again, maybe he got a grill, who fucking knows.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Mill a.
Speaker 1: Major league baseball player who's like been one of the great players of his generation since he was probably a teenager, might not be the best person to like gauge what is a real what is like a reasonable request for money?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also too, like I was saying, when a lot of these athletes, right, especially like or at least my experience, like knowing you know, Japanese journalists, and like when players have come here, like when not like Hideo Nomo came here, Like you just have an interpreter and they're sort of like act as a buffer between you and the American world, so you can focus on your thing, which is.
Speaker 4: Throw a ball or hit ball, yeah, and just do that.
Speaker 3: And he sort of, I think, you know, really used that to his advantage to be like, yeah, man, everything goes through me, and you want to see bank accounts?
Speaker 4: Actually, what was that show?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he actually just.
Speaker 3: Said he doesn't want anybody looking at that, so yeah, I'm sorry, And that was actually Miles is with show hey right now.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know if he has heard that, but yeah, Miles is now his confidence all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, he's hungry. I told him. I was just I was cooking him some chicken. I'm not I'm fucking ordering it on Uber eats. Dude with his fucking card, with his card.
Speaker 2: That's that's when you think you're getting away with something. It's hard to order on Uber eat. This guy took him for like eighty million, idiot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, all I can do is like sixty bucks here and there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like I mean, first of all, this isn't the first time that we've heard of, you know, celebrity getting stolen from by people close to them that they trust, like manage, et cetera. I think it's part of this pattern that we're seeing where we just like there's a rumor about someone that like kind of fits into our overall narrative, and so we just like the Internet just like kind of goes with it. And I think that's probably what we're seeing here. I think I also think this is gonna be a very unpopular take. I think a lot of people are gonna be like, shut the fuck up, you don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It is definitely Otani.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: Like even everyone from like people I talked to who are like Dodgers fans who is the team Otani like just signed with and is playing with, are like yeah, but Otani's definitely like you're treated kind of like an idiot for thinking that it's not a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We so many athletes too that have like Pete Rose, Michael Jordan like yeah, yeah, it's not you have enough to be like that's something I've heard of, So it's probably that. But either way, it ain't affecting his game.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's got eleven home runs. Yeah, I think he's hit some dingers. The cover of The New Yorker has like Otani with like money coming out of his back pocket, like the New Yorkers like, we're we're wise, do you on this one?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Is the cover story meant to like cast dispersions over like him saying he has nothing to do with it, or they'm like yeah, this guy fucking likes to gamble, or they'd been like, this guy's a dope with just money hanging out.
Speaker 2: He's a mark. I think I think it's unclear.
Speaker 1: The illustration is titled showtime just s H O T I M. But it does seem to suggest that they think he's.
Speaker 4: What's the opening what's opening graph in there?
Speaker 1: It's not so the cover is not related to usually on the New Yorkers, like not related to oh right, right a story. So this is just them editorializing.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, it's a meme.
Speaker 1: I don't jealous because the LA baseball team is better than yours.
Speaker 3: Well, look, we'll still manage to fuck it up. Probably, Yeah, sadly, Yes, the fucking fate of the look of us look we had twenty twenty was great for LA sports. Yeah, Hey, I mean is a fucking absolute mad man.
Speaker 4: So what we shall see?
Speaker 2: We should?
Speaker 1: We shall Uh, let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll talk Eurovision and we're back. We're back and uh the Eurovision song contest. I don't know what the fuck is your? Yeah, the Eurovision Song contest. Should Yeah sounds like a description.
Speaker 2: I'll just come up with that. On the fly while half asleep.
Speaker 1: The Eurovision Song Contest is a mess this year, Like I guess it's always a mess, but this year it's even worse. The finals air this weekend, and all anyone's talking about is Israel's inclusion in the event. There's a singer Eden Golan who's set to perform at the second semi final, and even the rehearsal of her performance was met with a torrent of booze and at least one person shouting free Palace. Fine, that's I like that, that's good journalism because they probably watched that one clip of like from the audience where people are doing and there is that one like a lot of people are shouting, but there is one audible.
Speaker 4: Person yelling free Palestine.
Speaker 3: Like at least one, at least one, based on this video, probably probably more.
Speaker 4: Probably that is.
Speaker 2: What we can confirm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but the controversy is even more complicated because I guess Eurovision is like we so this is like impossible. They're like this competition between nations is a political okay. And then Israel's original entry was a song called October Rain Rain. Yeah no, not a prequel to the Guns and Roses song, but rather an allegorical song about the October seventh attack that had the lyrics I'm still wet from October rain, which is weird, I don't know, okay.
Speaker 4: From the grief or something. Yeah, maybe they didn't translate well to English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but instead of like some people are like, well, okay, so you say that you're going to keep the competition a political but you're letting this song in that is about October seventh. And so instead of like coming up with any other song that swapped some of the lyrics out and changed October Rain to hurricane, Hurricane.
Speaker 4: Masses is the story of the hurricane.
Speaker 1: Not that one damage, a different one that is basically October rain, but with hurricane swapped in.
Speaker 4: I'm still wet from the hurricane.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly, all right, and yeah, so the controversy is just dominating the event. There are more than one thousand musicians from this year's host country of Sweden who signed an open letter calling for Israel to be barred from competing due to the quote brutal warfare in Gaza. A Swedish pop star, was a guest performer for one song and where a kafia around his wrist, which prompted the European Broadcasting Union to shoot their regrets that the non political event had been compromised.
Speaker 3: Wow, it was much simpler when that band like Lorthy was like the fucking main event.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you remember that like two thousand I think like two thousand and six, like they were all it was like kind of like Guar style where they all like motster.
Speaker 3: Makeup, and I think that was like the first time it hit like mainstream American consciousness, like this band Lorthy is fucking killing it at Eurovision.
Speaker 4: I was like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's what there.
Speaker 4: Was, Like America the America one or each state.
Speaker 1: Submitted like a fucking artist that would be a much better American idol, right.
Speaker 3: Right right truly to be like yeah, and then you're like, oh, man, Tennessee's got a good one this year.
Speaker 1: Coming one music from Tennessee versus like you know, it's like grimy Wu Tang ship from Stey versus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a I mean obviously this is this is has.
Speaker 4: The whole the whole world.
Speaker 3: Or it has their eyes upon what Israel's doing. And there's plenty of protesters like it sounds like the final for Eurovision. They'll be fifteen thousand fans, but there will also be an anti war protest nearby that is expecting at least twenty thousand attendees. Esh, so the Eurovision thing, it's just already we want it to be a political Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so committed they're emitting any references to real world turmoil that In twenty fifteen, they introduced anti booing technology that filtered out the sounds of booing during the Russian entry for the TV broadcast, which one expert is expecting them to use again this year for Israel.
Speaker 4: Wow, anti booing technology. Yeah, so fucking weird.
Speaker 2: You boo?
Speaker 1: And there's just like a sound laser that's like wow, yeah, take you out.
Speaker 2: It's actually AI.
Speaker 3: It's actually Ai reaching AI to create anti booming technology.
Speaker 1: Great, great, great, All right, well those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, May Night, twenty twenty four. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 4: Bye,