Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Hello, We're back with are you a Charlotte? We have a fantastic guest today.
Speaker 2: My name is me Ray.
Speaker 1: You knows. I think you.
Speaker 2: Will recognize her. The fact that she was actually on Sex and the.
Speaker 1: City is crazy million years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so special.
Speaker 1: And amazing, and you know, it's fun for me because when they told me that you because they went they looked at all the list of the names of everyone who was in the show and they were like me, Ray Knows. I was like, I guess, I mean for me, I wasn't in that scene, right, No, yeah.
Speaker 3: Valerie Harper, justin Thurrau. I mean, it was such an incredible scene to be a part of. And this was actually a big moment in my life. So I had recently moved to New York. I was like waiting tables and being an art model and hustling, and I had recently there was an agent named Jim Flynn who I hadn't even met. Jim, I had met his assistant who had come to see a showcase and had he had recently been given permission to sign for like actors for commercials or like three and rounder lines whatever. And so the first audition he sent me out on was this no Yes sax in the City, one line Wow, And I booked it and it was my first paying job in New York City. But I had to pay my SAG dues before I could walk on set. I had three dollars in my bank account, so I was asking my parents to wire me the money and all this stuff. And so all day long, this little newbie agent was like on the phone, and Jim finally was like, what the heck is going on? Who is this person? So this one line was my first paying job in New York, got me my SAG card, and then ultimately Jim Flynn signed me and he was my agent for all the years I was in New York.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so nice. That's a nice story.
Speaker 1: Can I say that everything about it? Of course, you know what was going on in your life, that's so interesting. But when you look at yourself in that scene, you only have one line, but you're amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh you're sweet, thank you, And here you are with all these people, like it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible people. And how was like even with all this background going on. How was the experience it was? It was I.
Speaker 3: Remembered it being a very happy day that everyone was kind and they were all just like you know, actors right in there and telling a story and having some fun, right and of course you know, I mean second, the city is so iconic and the storytelling is so wonderful. And this episode, I mean, I've seen so many episodes from all the seasons, but this episode I just rewatched. It really stands up. It was a really awesome episode.
Speaker 1: It's super interesting, it really is. Yeah, I didn't even really remember it. Yeah, like I remember the Valerie Harper was on the show. We were so excited because all of us grew up of course with Mary Tyler Moore and Rhoda for all of you youngsters, and fantastic kind of one of the I mean not original. I guess Lucille Ball would be the first female Jordans and she was really and pivotal in terms of young women and she was a career woman.
Speaker 2: Mary Tyler Moore and Rhode was her best friend.
Speaker 1: So it was in some ways kind of almost a blueprint for sex and the city in a certain way at a different time. Right, So it meant so much to us to get Valerie Harper. I remember being so excited about that and kind of like starstruck and didn't know what to say. Sir Jesco was so excited, which I feel like you can see in those.
Speaker 3: Totally their scenes together are so wonderful.
Speaker 1: They're really good. They're really good. And then we have justin Throw for the second time, which is kind of hysterical because this is the second season and I had vaguely, vaguely remembered that, but I'm not working with him, right, but I know him.
Speaker 3: He's such a.
Speaker 1: Lovely guy, and I had completely forgotten about their rather embarrassing storyline. Yes, I just remembered that he was on the show, right, and the Valerie Harper's on the show, And then when I actually watched what they're talking about, hilarious. It's hilarious but also like so real. Yes, I mean played for laughs, but yet still so real. All right, So let's get back to a little bit of details. So this episode is called Shortcomings, which is you know, yeah, perfect, oh god, And it was directed by Daniel Algrandt, who's a really interesting director and I honestly can't remember if he came back or not. He had done a movie in indie I think it's called is it called Naked in New York. I should have asked you guys this before we started get the producers to look it up. He had, You know, there was a time when we would get like indie film directors, especially first season, and he was kind of a second season version of that.
Speaker 4: Yeh.
Speaker 1: Then also, we're at this point getting a lot of sopranos directors in the loop, so I kind of got this interesting mix going on.
Speaker 2: Yes, Naked in New York.
Speaker 1: That was his indie film in the nineties, So I feel like, you know, people like have a kind of an indie hit back in the day when you could have an indie hit, and then they're kind of like the hot ticket.
Speaker 2: This was Daniel Algrand and he was very sweet.
Speaker 1: And this is written by Terry Minsky, which is also interesting because Terry Minsky wrote in the first season, yet was not on the set with us. And I think by the time you came and I don't know if you would remember this, we had Cindy Schupack and Jenny Bicks were our supervising producer slash writers, right, so they were around a lot, right, I mean, I probably saw it's such a blur. Of course, of course, so this is my Mewray story. So I did not remember that.
Speaker 3: You were on our show.
Speaker 1: So when my producer said, I was like, well, but definitely call her. What on earth did she play? Because I don't remember. But you know, when you're not there with other people, you don't always know what's going on the storyline.
Speaker 3: That's plus, you met a lot of people over the course of all those and.
Speaker 1: We didn't sleep. But the reason that it was interesting to me is that when your show The Killing came on, I remember watching the opening sequence. You're running in that fisherman sweater. I believe you're in Vancouver, on the edge of Stanley Park. That's a place we all know, all actors know. And I was like, I love her, and she seems so familiar, that was my thought. And I watched that you were so yeah, but you're very unique, you know, and so specific. And when I see you in that scene because of course I'm waiting with baited Bread the whole episode where she wears and then finally you show up, and you're just so interesting and so present. And to think that that was your first job, my first job in New artible incredible, your first job in New York City. I love that so much. And that's the joy of being on a show for a while.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's getting to see the talent that they were able to find and pull.
Speaker 3: Well, especially a show cast in New York, which just feels like such a tight community of actors, and you see people that are on stage and then they're shooting an episode of a show and you see the same thing in Only Murders in the building. You have all of these wonderful New York actors that get pulled to do Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it feels really.
Speaker 1: It's so great, so great. So now I'm going to talk about our other connection. Okay, So, sir, Jessica is married to Matthew Brodrics. Matthew Broderick was in a movie with your husband way back when we were young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was of the age to be completely obsessed with Ferriz Fueller Farrispuelller's Day Off. I hope all of you have seen this, but if you haven't, you must immediately go watch. It is a classic. And the joy is that they're currently in Vancouver working.
Speaker 3: Yes, forty years later Alan Rock Matthew Broderick, who originally met doing a Broadway play LuxI Blues.
Speaker 2: No, I've forgotten that part.
Speaker 1: Yes, they saw, Yes, it was so incredible.
Speaker 3: So they were already friends, yes, And so then Matthew got Ferrispueler and then Allan was called in and of course they got cast together. And so they were already friends when they shot that film. And I feel like you can really feel that in the chemistry and the the you know, the scene where Alan is on the phone and he's pretending to be so that was a joke. The voice that he does, that was a joke to crack Matthew up because he was doing an imitation of Gene Sacks, who had directed BLUCKSI Blas. That's a little insider.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: And so they've stayed pals all these years. Forty years wow, And right now they're shooting a movie called The Best Is Yet to Come and it's about lifelong male friendship. And it's just like Alan is having the time of the.
Speaker 1: Yea the last time Matthew was in Vancouver. And this is why Sarah Jessica told me about it. He and I were filming a Christmas movie together in like one hundred degree we know, August, and he was in a hole tizzy about where to stay. You know, it's always an issue right when you go on location. Where to stay? Where to stay? Where to stay? And Sir Jessica was like, where did you say? Where did he stay last time?
Speaker 2: Remind me? And so week we had to talk it through it. It really made me.
Speaker 1: Laugh that number one, I love the interconnectedness of all of us over time, and number.
Speaker 2: Two, the HBO of it all is hysterical.
Speaker 1: I mean, like to watch Ellen, I mean throughout his career, Spencity, so many amazing things, but the succession.
Speaker 3: Succession, I mean yeah, I know, special experience, Yeah, I mean yeah. And he plays such a hard character. But you loved him, yes, you love him. And he's also kind of a sociopath. He's a dumb dumb and also like heartbreaking all the things. That's very hard. It's very hard, very very hard.
Speaker 2: He's amazing, he is.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love to have you on and I love all the connections.
Speaker 1: It's always a joy to uh, you know, like the Kevin Bacon six degrees of it's very it's very everyone's very connected, and that is I think one of the joys of our of our job.
Speaker 3: Well, when you're in a career for like a long time, that that just happens. You know, people's paths cross and you work with each other's spouses and yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's a joy. It's a joy. All right. Let's break down this episode a little bit, because sometimes it's just fun to chat. Yeah, I rewatch, but it was very entertaining for me also to rewatch because sometimes I have a lot, a lot of memories more behind the scenes, you know, what was going on that day, and then sometimes I really remember the plot and sometimes I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was early too two.
Speaker 2: It's true, and.
Speaker 1: In my mind I thought that we had just to throw in season one, which is he also plays a writer, which is so weird.
Speaker 2: What was going on with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she got cast again, Yes, as a writer.
Speaker 1: Though we shaved his hair. That was like, oh, just.
Speaker 2: Put some glasses on him.
Speaker 3: Now he's a different persons exactly.
Speaker 1: He's a different person, but he's adorable as both.
Speaker 3: He plays a.
Speaker 1: Slightly unlikable writer in each which is also interesting, you know, it is interesting. Like the first one, he's like super slick and he's just gotten like invited to parties and stuff. And she also gives the writer advice as someone who's a writer. Carry is obviously a writer, writer in the you know, thick of it in terms of Manhattan night life. And then this one she's giving him advice. He says, I'm going to be in GQ. It's almost like the same part but different. It's interesting and it's the kind of thing and I, you know, certainly don't want to dwell on this, but we just did, you know, and just like that, and people got very obsessed with every little detail, very upset about every little detail. I'm like, back in the day, all kinds of stuff went on, that's right.
Speaker 2: You know, no one said anything. I don't know if anyone noticed.
Speaker 3: Probably not. I think I think we're in a new moment of people wanting to like be in on every single detail and wanting to have an opinion and.
Speaker 1: Yes and say their opinion and yeah, and they have a way to say it.
Speaker 3: Yes we did for yeah, there wasn't.
Speaker 1: I think this would have been the year two thousand. Do you think that's right? I think that's right, right, Which is I mean it seems like another lifetime ago. Things were so different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I was in my twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, adorable, Like you're in your team, I do.
Speaker 3: I have such a babyface. Actually in your hair. I had forgotten what I looked like in it, and rewatched. I was like, oh my god, I look seventeen.
Speaker 1: You really do. But beautiful, so beautiful, and you seem sophisticated because you're sitting there with those people who are all like very New York and yeah, you know type thing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, back to the show. Back to the show. So this is a to me kind of a departure of a show. Yeah, Like there are certain things about it, like, for instance, the coffee shop. For some reason, we're all plastered next to each other.
Speaker 3: Did you notice this? Yes, our shoulders are literally.
Speaker 1: Like going on, I don't know. And then there's like a walk and talk where we're also like they're they're like like, anyway, that was interesting. I mean we're kind of finding our way in certain certain ways. And I think also in different directors would come, we were more affected by them and later on, yeah, you know, later on we just be like, no, this is this is.
Speaker 3: What we're doing. You had found your your own rhythm.
Speaker 1: And you're kind of confident, yes, within that. But it's also I found it especially in the coffee shop scene because now we do have our coffee shop set.
Speaker 2: In the beginning, we didn't.
Speaker 1: We're like out about in different places, right, so it's funny in the coffee shop, but we're like peppy, you know what I'm saying. That like really like energized repartee is in full force, which I really enjoyed. Yeah, it was nice to see we seem happy, which I'm sure we were exhausted, but you know it has a lot of energy.
Speaker 3: Right, and it seems like you guys really enjoy each other.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, I know Sara Jessica seems super bubbly. And also I think it's very hot when I look at that what I remember, you know, there's like the very hot summers and then they not so hot summers, like medium. Her hair is like its natural self, you know, and she's just radiant, and I feel like we were all hot.
Speaker 3: But it was great, you know, it was a fun, fun hot I love that moment she bangs on the glass since I know.
Speaker 2: It's a classic. It's a classic.
Speaker 1: See that also snuck up on me because I think the way social media is now, you see these little snippets and you're like, yes, of course I remember that that was at the height. No, it's and I think that the theme of this episode, which is family is difficult and family is also your chosen who, which I love so much, And I had no idea that we had that theme really explicitly in there so early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, that's kind of amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, and each of your individual storylines are I mean, you have your brother obviously, who is your real family, which is so strange. But there's also like the other women are like in these little transitional mind it's not people that are going to stay, which just like shines light on how special the four of you are.
Speaker 1: That's true, absolutely absolutely. Because my brother we never see or hear from him again, including my two weddings. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: He works a lot. He was on Ozark. He played it an evil, evil lawyer.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, there's my brother, my.
Speaker 1: Brother exactly. I mean, now that i'm rewatching, I'm trying to glom on any little details and to have my brother there in his like preppy shorts.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. We did have an episode.
Speaker 1: Before where I talk about how in my waspy family we don't talk about feelings.
Speaker 2: We play tennis, which is kind of funny because.
Speaker 1: We've had a tennis storyline for Charlotte, like literally for thirty years, you know. So the brother comes, we'll just do this really quick because the brother's so weird, Like we never see any of Charlotte's other relatives, no parents, nothing, right, it's bizarre, bizarre. So the brother comes. He is getting divorced from his wife, and I tell you guys that he's coming to visit because he's getting to divorce. Yes, And everyone makes fun of me. I tell you guys, like you're in the scene, you're one of us now. And everyone makes fun of Wesley and Leslie, which is also like so preppy and funny, right, and very fine to make fun of. But of course Charlotte really is tired of getting made fun of at this point, jurning me, and so I make all kinds of faces at them, which is also funny. And then so and weirdly, I guess not weirdly, you know, Charlotte's very pro marriage as we know.
Speaker 3: As we know, and yeah, she really is committed to them getting back together, right, So, and she.
Speaker 1: Keeps kind of slightly irritatingly asking him like did you talk to Leslie? Did you talk to Leslie?
Speaker 2: How's Lesly?
Speaker 1: And he's like no, And then I do kind of love in the end, and this is what I do. I just synoped down when he says, you know, I believe he says I hadn't got late or whatever, which is a bit weird of a way to talk about your wife, but whatever in two years. And then Charlotte looks kind of horrified, yes, which is interesting, and then I'm like, oh, okay, I understand. So he so basically what happens is that Samantha sleeps with my brother, which clearly Charlotte knows it's going to happen, which is why I don't invite Samantha. But then Carrie brings some.
Speaker 3: Merings her and you're horrified that she's there, and.
Speaker 1: Like awkward, like awkward and interesting. And also sometimes when I watch it, I can tell, you know, there's occasionally scenes with the three of them without me. I can tell that I'm like a newer friend, and there is a scene when we flash back to the eighties and all of them are together, and I'm because they hadn't met me yet. But we never explained that either. It's interesting, but I can feel that when I watch this episode because I pull carry over and I'm like, a, yeah, She's.
Speaker 3: Like that's Samantha our friends, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is that's really funny and interesting.
Speaker 1: But I did and then I mean my producers when they watched it, they were like, oh, you shouted her really harshly. The thing that I thought was so interesting about it, I mean, for Charlotte, it is harsh to say that, you know, she should be on like, you know, a guide book of New York because her you know, station is always open, so to speak that it is of course a harsh thing for Charlotte to say. Yeah. The thing that I find interesting is the way Samantha talks about sex and herself. I mean not in a derogatory way, but just in a very free way. It's interesting that then she would take offense to me, yes, saying that, But then I guess that also is kind of true, like sometimes if.
Speaker 3: You say something about yourself, yes, you can talk about yourself in ways that you don't want other people to talk about you. And what seemed to be true in that scene is that where Samantha is very comfortable talking about sex in that way Charlotte, it felt like new ground for Charlotte to be so direct to her friend, you know, and so that that felt like that was.
Speaker 1: Where those definitely definitely I would never say anything like that right my girlfriends, and I saw something recently about I do feel like one of the joys of when I compare things now to things back then is that female friendship, I feel like is much more honored and kind of discussed and you know, prioritized now as opposed to back then. Back then, they say like, how did you know you guys spend so much time together and stuff like that, which, of course, obviously yes, obviously they were young and somehow had a lot of time spending to.
Speaker 3: Get through which people do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember spending a lot of time with my girlfriends in my thirties. But I also think that now people talk about it and talk about how important it is, and that you know, like to nurture friendships, you know, through your life and through the different phases of your life is so important, and I think that's so incredibly true. And I also think it's so incredibly risky to say something to your girlfriend sure that you know they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Like, and that can be the end of a friendship.
Speaker 2: It really could.
Speaker 3: Depending on who you say that to, that could be like game over.
Speaker 1: I know, which is so sad, I know, But I also think it's so interesting because I think that women, you know, have to kind of like I think, on the one hand, there's this kind of perception of like, oh, yes, women just hang out in groups, you know, like it's like kind of silly or whatever, but then in reality, we all know that it's not really that easy.
Speaker 3: Yes, it can be tricky wrighting out with women, and then you find your women who are like your people, right, and then it's like those are the most supportive, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Relationships, absolutely and so important.
Speaker 3: But female relationships can be really tricky.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think it's because it's not I don't think it's something for my generation at least that was kind of like worked on or encouraged, like you weren't really taught how to be friends. I mean, like it does come easy when you're young, but then I think as you go through the different stages, it's not so easy. And certainly as an actor, I know that one of the joys of getting the show was that there were a bunch of women in around that you could that you knew, Okay, we're all in this together, rather than being the wife or the girlfriend or like you might see another woman after.
Speaker 2: But you'd be like, oh, there they go.
Speaker 1: You know, you might not get a scene with them, right, I mean, have you found that in your career?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I spent a lot of time with guys, right, because you cops and like, I'm serious people. I know, I get cast as like little toughies, which is so funny, it's so silly, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm envious, though, I'm very envious.
Speaker 3: It's fun getting to do I mean for everyone. Obviously getting to do a balance of things is obviously of course, you know, but yeah, I've gotten cast in lots of movies where it's like a bunch of tough dudes. I mean, and I'm like, they're great, you know, they're but also like it does feel lonely sometimes to be like, oh where.
Speaker 1: Are my Yeah, yeah, I think it's really lonely. I mean, I love to be on the set with all the girls. Yeah, oh I.
Speaker 2: Love nothing more. Yeah, nothing more.
Speaker 1: I mean, the guys are fun, but like it's comfy to have the girls. Yeah, it's definitely comfy. That's yeah. It's one of the best best parts of this whole, whole, whole, long, long, long term job that I've had. I love it so much. And that's really why I never wanted to end, you know, because it's hard to find that.
Speaker 3: It is very hard to find those special groups. Yeah, so you stay friends with whatever, and that's.
Speaker 1: The joy, is it? Like with Matthew and your husband, Allan, they you know, it's amazing to get to meet someone so early in your career and stay friends and get to work together again. That is just the best. Yeah. Anyway, Okay, let's go back to the show. Okay, this makes me laugh. I do not remember the storyline of Miranda, not for one second watching it fresh. In the storyline, she is at the gym, which is also kind of funny to me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, do we see her at the gym?
Speaker 1: No, not really, So so Miranda is interestingly at a very popular and busy New York City gym, and she's there on the weekend, which is apparently kids weekend. I've never gone to a gym.
Speaker 3: And had children running around, no way, I mean, very interesting.
Speaker 1: I would have to ask Terry Minsky who wrote this, like if this was based on something, because that was a rule that they had they had had to read. Yeah, so I guess I guess there were some gyms this was happy. I didn't go to those gyms either. So there's like children running amok okay basically at this gym. So then she's all kind of rolling her eyes in her Miranda way. She looks adorable, you know, like it's just so cute, early Miranda. And then she gets in the elevator and there's this very handsome dad there with a kid who wants to push the buttons of the elevator. We've all been there, yes, I have a seven year old. I mean it's a situation. And I felt so kind of seen on the one hand by the storyline, but also embarrassed because I have been the parents saying please, don't don't.
Speaker 3: Touch the butt, could you let Yeah? And then of course they touched. Sofying.
Speaker 2: What is that about with children?
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, so interesting. So anyway that the dad asks Miranda not to push the buttons, and the kid then pushes all the buttons and then the dad apologize and the dad, it's very adorable, and does find a way to mention that he's divorced, which I thought was really smooth on his part.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then you can.
Speaker 1: See Miranda kind of look at him twice like oh interesting.
Speaker 2: So then he asks her.
Speaker 1: She gets out of the elevator and he asks her to come back in and she does, which is so cute, adorable, very cute, very New York kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: But the kid.
Speaker 1: I felt for the kid because literally, this man is seems relatively newly divorced. We don't hear his whole story.
Speaker 3: But you can feel that he's still figuring out what that looks like and how to do it right.
Speaker 1: And I mean sometimes as the episode went on, I wondered, like, where is this mother because apparently she's just not around because he's got this kid a lot. But also as a single mom, I also really relate. Now I have never taken my children with me on a date because I never really would. No, I mean, it is like a park later, right, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like months later if it's going well, right, you know, right, yeah, on the first date, stroll in the park.
Speaker 1: With the kid, with the kid, I know, yeah, I know, But I I also feel this is probably not nice where I'm going to say, But sometimes I feel like dads are clueless. Maybe that's true, Like I see dad's at the park sometimes, but sometimes I'm just like, what is this dad doing?
Speaker 2: Like can a mom tell the dad, like, don't let the kid do that?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I have some anxiety for the dad.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, case in point. I mean, the boy clabbers Miranda over the head with a branch and then isn't disciplined.
Speaker 1: No, no, I know it.
Speaker 2: Dad doesn't seem no to know what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Miranda, I know it.
Speaker 1: She gets clabbed, I know, with a pretty big stick in Central Park and that's before he hands are a worm. I believe. Yes, I mean there's a lot going on, yes, and Miranda hangs in there, which is also kind of interesting. But I also feel like it's like early Miranda is different.
Speaker 2: She's sweet.
Speaker 1: I mean, she has her cover, but she's also got like a sweetness.
Speaker 3: Yes she does.
Speaker 1: It's adorable, But this guy does seem kind of clueless, you know, dad, but he's really cute. And at a certain point they do cut to them in bed and they look very happy.
Speaker 3: Yes, it seems like.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, so I guess maybe that's what she's doing. I don't know, but this also cracked me up. When after we first meet the guy whose name I can't remember because he's not going to be around long so we don't have to use his name, they cut to us at the coffee shop and Miranda is talking about how his name is Roger, and Miranda's talking about because he's divorced, he seems use. Isn't that a weird thing?
Speaker 3: It's a weird thing to say, No, that's true. I thought that conversation was. Yeah, it was a little funny, it was a little odd.
Speaker 2: It's dated. It didn't hold so much dated.
Speaker 3: No, it is. We would never say that now, absolutely, Not just because somebody has been married. I mean you could also say that anyone who has been in a long term relationship.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's fine with me.
Speaker 3: That anyone's been in a long term relationship is used. Right, It's not.
Speaker 1: No, it's horrible and insane, right, there'd be no one left.
Speaker 3: That's right, because everybody comes with the context yes, right, yes, unless you're eighteen.
Speaker 2: Years old, like right, and who would want to be doing that?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I really was like when when they because they kind of smashed cut into her, going like it's like he's used, and I thought, what is she talking about? Like I had to really catch up a minute, like we would. I don't think we'd ever say that now, No way, no way, right, yeah, like you'd just be very out of touch if you said that. That's right. Yeah, that was interesting.
Speaker 2: That whole conversation was interesting.
Speaker 1: But this is why I like to rewatch, because some things you're like, oh, whoa, and then sometimes you're like, that's that's so true. Yeah yeah, And I do think trying to to juggle children and dating is of course universal and will probably continue for all of the time.
Speaker 2: And it's a real thing. I mean, this guy's just not very good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I feel bad for this kid because he seems like he's really suffering that he he seems jealous of.
Speaker 3: That conversation that right, yeah right, I mean maybe there's a clue in the fact that this guy says I'm the anomaly. Actually, I just like to be married and yeah, right, and so maybe he's just like actually trying to slot Miranda into this family dynamic faster than race.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: I didn't think of that, Yeah, because that is really odd that he says that. And I mean, I just found myself wondering, like, what is this dude's backstory, what happened, what happened.
Speaker 2: To the marriage, where's the wife, what's going on? Where's ex wife? How long have you been divorced?
Speaker 1: I wanted to know more about him than I normally want to know about our art, like one pole.
Speaker 3: Also, we have quite gotten there, but his reaction in the next scenes where the boy, I don't know if you want to do recare for it.
Speaker 2: Because I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: So it's after you know, she spent the night and Miranda's having a pee and the little boy starts to come in the bathroom and of course she goes to close the door and he gets his head bonked, and then there's like a real overreaction I feel like on the dad's Yeah, and basically Miranda just gets like shown the door.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, he says please leave. He says it a couple of times. This is one thing I do remember of that episode is that there was a lot of discussion about his wound. The kids would because when you see it, it's bloody. Why did that door make that blood? I don't know, you know, And I'm saying like it's mysterious, yes, And I remember there being a fair amount I don't know at that point in time of our production, like how sophisticated our stuff was, Duran whenever you have somebody get bumped or get banged or anything like that, because we don't see him, we just hear it, right, and then cut to there's yeah, you know, which is strange. But I also felt like if we did know more about the dad, I mean, I've certainly overreacted before.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, of course I have two kids. I've definitely overreacted, right.
Speaker 1: But it's also weird how like the kid kind of looks at her over the show like there's something kind of going on where you're like, he just wanted her to go.
Speaker 3: Because Miranda, I know, I'm poor the kid, I'm poor the kid, everybody for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's kind of sad because then we really don't hear that much.
Speaker 1: It's just gone, But you know, good that she tried, I guess, but also that's like another show. I feel like that is his own show.
Speaker 3: I wonder how which which season does Miranda get her own child. That's not it's for a while, it's a while, But I feel like that was a little like just early Crumb.
Speaker 1: Because I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it, because I do know at a certain point season three is when I meet Kyle and get married and then start to try to get pregnant, and then she gets pregnant by mistake. So it's not that long. It's because we're almost at the end of two. But I don't know because this is Terry Minsky's script and she wasn't with us all the time, and it was definitely like a long term plan that Michael had that both Miranda and Charlotte would get pregnant at the same time. That was the original plan. Okay, it didn't work out because then Michael decided, probably rightly so, that because all of our female writers were single, and none of our guy writers, who I think there were two of them at that time, no one had children, so they were having to mine their friends' stories and they didn't have enough to have two sets of stories because they wanted them to be contrasting stories which would be interesting but not as interesting as Charlotte not being able to and Miranda accidentally and then being unsure and all.
Speaker 3: Of the No, It's part of what I just love about the show is that if each of these women's expectations of what their life is going to be gets flipped on its head, yep, and so they're having to manage like their own expectations of what their life has become. Yeah, it's powerful.
Speaker 1: It is powerful and so true to life. You know, someone asked me yesterday, I don't know if you get questions like this. You're not as old as I am, but people love to ask you about eighteen right. You know, how how are you looking at aging? How do you how do you feel? How old do you feel inside?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: All the questions right, And I mean I.
Speaker 1: Feel very young inside. I feel like forty maybe, or it's.
Speaker 3: Hard about the number, right, you know whatever. Some days, like my husband, who I won't say his name, but like he's like when he looks at his own age, his eyes get real big and he's like, how is it literally possible? I still feel eighteen?
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, I don't know. I don't personally know how it's possible.
Speaker 1: For me either. I mean you have to look sometimes at your driver's license to be like, you're like, that is mean, it doesn't just happen at all, totally totally, but I think that is a blessing, right, because what does it really even mean? That's I'm true the good news of what it means. And this is what I end up saying. I mean, I think it means two things. Number One, we're doing great. Yeah, we're hoping, we're happy, right, we're still in it, We're sort of functioning, we're doing new things, right, this is great, this is what you want.
Speaker 2: Secondarily, I remember.
Speaker 1: A lot of anxiety in my thirties, right, so I don't have that anymore yet. And some of it is what you touched on about our characters is that you you you have expectations, you don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You don't know if you're on the right.
Speaker 1: Track towards those expectations, or maybe you need to change your expectations, or you know, there's so many questions like is it all going to work it out?
Speaker 3: And what do I need to do to tick the boxes right equals happiness.
Speaker 1: Right, and in reality, you know, none of that is probably even really true. And that's what I love so much about our writers. I mean, some of it's true. Like did Charlotte truly want to be married?
Speaker 3: She did? She did? Or she she really wanted the idea of what that was.
Speaker 1: She did, and then she found out that the outer idea was not what she wanted, right, and then she found her real, her real thank god, thank god, she was able to change and grow. And that was their idea. And the idea also was to never give any of us what we wanted, because you don't have a show.
Speaker 2: Then, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I am lucky that Charlotte got Harry. I guess I should be, you know, lucky that like nothing happened to him or whatever, thank god, because it was such a growth I think for Charlotte, and that what I like about her. She's super persistent, right, So she was going to pursue, going to pursue, no matter what the roadblocks were, right, Like she couldn't get pregnant, she was going to adopt. Then she does get pregnant, She's going to roll with it. She's going to roll with it, and I love that effort that she makes. But I also think that her ability to roll with it, you know, brings her depth and wisdom and changes her focus.
Speaker 2: Though sometimes she drifts back.
Speaker 1: Which is also so interesting, like you'll drift back to the details.
Speaker 3: So the things that are the most kind of comfortable and from the.
Speaker 1: Way you grew up or whatever it is totally or like the expectations, like you started by saying, you'll drift back to those expectations and then be reminded again, Oh no, that's not it's not actually life. It's not actually what's important, which I love. I love. I can't talk about the others expectations as much as I can talk about Charlotte's right, right, right, and I love hers, and I had to think through hers, you know, for so long, which you know is a joy, right obviously, like a great character thing. But it's interesting too because if you think about, like, you know, Carrie's expectations are interesting. And one of the things I think about when I do, I think because our show ended, and everyone had to talk about how and just like that ended, versus how Sex and the City ended, because people were upset obviously when Sex and City the first show ended because everyone was coupled up and they didn't feel like that rang true. But sometimes when I'm watching old episodes, it kind of seems like everyone but Samantha wants to be coupled up, like even Miranda, who I had never.
Speaker 3: Clocked, right because she seems like such a like.
Speaker 4: A driven career woman, right, But I mean, yeah, everyone wants somebody, right, and companionship, yes, and right, and to see everybody maybe to be seen definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean Samantha definitely wants to be sure, but it doesn't really want a relationship, right.
Speaker 2: But then she gets with then she gets coming.
Speaker 3: But that, yeah, that's like her flip is that she actually wants to keep it easy, breezy, short term, right, and she gets this long term relationship with a younger man, you know, yeah, and then has to deal with cancer and all of right, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's there for her. He's such a sweet way. That's going to be so interesting. I want to have that. Jason Smith on he's so good, you guys, this is so much fun that we're going to have to have a part two, so join us later in the week on are you a Charlotte