Speaker 1: Welcome to Talking Coffee. I'm your Hostessy Coff.
Speaker 2: I'm joined by my producers Lauren and Derek.
Speaker 1: As always, Hi guys, helloing, cheers. You ready for some Talking coffee?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so excited. I have my coffee here.
Speaker 1: All we're all we're all coffeeing up right now.
Speaker 3: I got to take a sip at the moment you say it, I know it's Pavlovian.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, we've got a really fun show today. We've got I've got great coffee news, some follow ups to Last Coffee News stories. But first, uh, if you listened to our well, if you've been listening to Talking Coffee this entire time, you know the story that I shared, which is I am on the DCAF coffee train and last Talking Coffee, we reviewed and taste tested a brain and new rt D ready to Drink DCAFF coffee product in a can that I came across on social media called Loki Coffee and oddly, oddly like I found this on social media and I was like, oh my god, this is for me, and then oddly realized I know the people who made this coffee perfect.
Speaker 1: So amazing.
Speaker 2: So the guy Chris Gndelsberger worked with my husband Goodie on the hill in DC. He and his wife are still there, and they came up with this coffee product, Loki Coffee.
Speaker 1: It is dcaff coffee, like just for me. It feels like it was just for me, like we.
Speaker 2: Have talked about how few decaff coffee options there are and then it then then it appears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we tried it and we really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was definitely like a two thumbs up situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Derek called it high key good.
Speaker 4: I called it hikey good.
Speaker 2: Well, we all agreed we needed a follow up, so I have Adriana Gindelsberger. She is Chris Gondelsberger's better half and the other co founder of low Key Coffee.
Speaker 3: Welcome Adriana, thank you, Hi, so happy to be here.
Speaker 5: This is amazing and it's cold for season, so perfect timing.
Speaker 1: So I'm so happy. I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy you exist, I'm so happy you did this.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you're here today.
Speaker 2: I talked about my origin story Adriana, and I don't know if you've if you heard it, so I'll briefly share it again. But my origin story to decaf was.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: At some point around like forty five, my morning coffee, which had always done its job tasted great and woke me up, suddenly started putting.
Speaker 1: Me to sleep.
Speaker 2: There was no up, there was no initial jolt. It was immediate crash. And I don't know if it was because my body just suddenly got intolerant to caffeine or perimenopause, which changes everything that you love about life, and I've come to know and so I don't know, but it became impossible. I tried to work with caffeine for a really, really really long time through that process, and it just became like impossible. And my mom was over one day and she was like, have you tried decaff? And I was like, I didn't even think of decaf?
Speaker 1: Probably no.
Speaker 2: It was like, what I know, because Adriana, I grew up outside of Boston, Massachusetts, with Duncan donuts very much in my life, and I just always associated decaf with weakness, so it didn't even cross my mind. A lot of Yeah, Lauren and Derek really talked me through it, hyped me up, you can do this.
Speaker 1: For sure, and I did.
Speaker 2: I switched to decaff, but it's a very caffeinist world, and there just weren't a lot of options. So when I found low Key Coffee, I was like, oh my god, finally someone gets me and understands me. I felt seen and heard.
Speaker 3: But it was funny your your admission, Like a lot of people wrote in to say, like I too, I'm on the decaf coffee train.
Speaker 4: So I was not alone.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: And you know, for someone who has a coffee podcast and who talks about coffee all the time, we have we have heard from a lot of people who are.
Speaker 1: Like me too.
Speaker 2: I am also ashamed, yes, but like, tell me some of your tips and secrets, like.
Speaker 1: What do you do when you're in Italy? What do you do when you're abroad? What do you do?
Speaker 2: So it really has become sort of a theme of this pod. But I want to know what was your origin story, Adrianna. How did you come to this idea that you needed a decaf coffee product.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's been a journey. I am an absolute coffee lover. I've always loved my coffee, the ritual of coffee, just you know, everything about it. Ever since I mean since I was like a teenager. So I've always enjoyed coffee, and actually it was I've got gudy and I have three kids, and it was while I was pregnant, I start to dip my toe into decaf because you have to be somewhat mindful of your caffeine intake. And I didn't want to think about it too much because you know, I might enjoy a soda here, some chocolate there, and I was like, I don't want to be adding up the milligrams of caffeine I'm intaking. So I said, you know what, I'll try decaf because I didn't want to give it up completely, and so I did that. I, you know, had switched back to caffeine between my first and second son, and then interestingly, after I had audio our second son, I switched back to caffeine and I was like, okay, like I am not feeling good and I don't exactly know, like nothing else is really changing except the caffeine. So I started to say, you know, maybe I just want to be drinking more zcaf. So I started to switch to that, and I did notice like a market difference in how I felt like I can be an anxious person, and I felt a lot less anxious. Yeah, I felt like I was sleeping better, My energy felt even. You know, I think there's this perception that you need the caffeine to get you through the day, and I think, like a baseline for a baseline, and I think that's true if that's where your baseline is is you know, you wake up and you take the sip. So it's not to say there's you know, probably some withdrawal. If you're going from caffeinating three or four cups a day straight to decalf, you would feel that. But for myself, I just noticed like a lot more even energy, don't. I don't need the caffeine. Surprisingly, And so I had made that marked shift and have been a decaf drinker for a little over four years now, and.
Speaker 2: Just when I was Adriana before you Go, I noticed, Yeah, I loved when I switched to decaf, When I when I finally embraced it, what I loved was I could have more coffee. Yeah, because she was limiting my caffeine from pregnancy on, I was limiting it. I have a heart issue as well, that caffeine's not great for so, like I was always limiting it and watching it and like, is this too I don't have to do any of that. Now I can have as much coffee as I want because.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's like you said, people, it is and there's so many people that come out of the ward work, Like as you start to talk about decaff, people are like, oh, you know, I've been looking for my afternoon coffee, like I don't want to be drinking caffeine.
Speaker 1: Or I've also seen a secret society.
Speaker 5: A secret society, I think, but you know, it doesn't mean to be a secret. You can be loud and proud, don't let the barista scare you away.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there is.
Speaker 3: There is like a do you feel judged ordering?
Speaker 5: Defa yes, but I do it regardless, like judge me what you want. I enjoy it and I don't want the effects of the caffeine.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw congratulations.
Speaker 2: I saw a giant Bloomberg piece this morning as I was just calling news for coffee News, and I'm going through this piece and low Key.
Speaker 1: Is all over exited right. It just came out today.
Speaker 2: Here's what I love though the headline caffeine minimalists really write routines to battle coffee jitters.
Speaker 1: I am a caffeine minialist.
Speaker 2: Which is such a nice, I don't know, intellectual way of describing people who limit their caffeine.
Speaker 1: I'm just a caffeine minimalist.
Speaker 4: You're a Maricabo of coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yes, I'm.
Speaker 2: Just a minimalist. But this is so great. This article is about kind of a market shift. It says many consumers are experimenting with options beyond traditional coffee, paying heat to caffeine's impact on sleep, mood, energy level, all the things you and I are just talking about. Consumers are becoming more cognizant of energy management and their beverage choices, with some drinking coffee in the morning but going easy on caffeine in the afternoon. Sales of low caffeine or caffeine free beverages are growing, with sales of refrigerated RTD bottles of uncaffeinated coffee and tea up almost fifteen percent in the fifty two weeks ending March twenty two. So this is either great news for you or great news because of you. Like how early into this market were you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's great, Like the article really lines up. We did a ton of research when we were, you know, kicking around the idea of getting into this and it lines up really well, like we've seen in our own research, a lot of that growth in not just you know, the low caffeine caffeine minimalist transition, but also you know, a transition to ready to drink as URTD as you often say, and you know, cold coffee options. And so marrying the two together to bring a decaf cold brew in a can felt like something right, felt something like exactly what I was looking for and wasn't able to find something that wasn't chemically processed, you know, all the reasons, and and so we found the Bloomberg articles, you know, research really aligned with our own. And I think it's just the early days of you know, people starting to talk about it more, and so I think, you know, that's the direction we like to say, like, you know, the future of coffee isn't necessarily more caffeine, it's just better decaf because.
Speaker 2: It's Yes, what's your background, Adriana, Like how did you how did you come to this and how would someone just start a coffee back?
Speaker 1: It's great question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeahs a great question.
Speaker 5: Now, well, I I have worked in consumer package good marketing for almost a decade and in fortune five hundred. So I'm very familiar with you know, marketing and brand building and have familiar to familiarity with that. And you know, Gindy's very well versed in you know, the beverage space and now the candy space and all of that. So yeah, we felt like we both had some great background and experience to well, you know, this is something we're looking for, we can't find it, Like, let's do it ourselves. Like we feel like we could really bring this to life life and bring something that you know is a current gap in the market.
Speaker 2: Talk to me last time when we when Lauren and Derek and I talked about Loki Coffee and we talked about the process, and there's something like the Swiss water process.
Speaker 1: Talk me through sounds great, Talk me through what that actually.
Speaker 3: Means and how it compares Like we we we've been consistently mystified by the decaffeinating process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the taking caffeine out of cow?
Speaker 3: Does want to do that? What did you find in the market and then where how did you land on whatever that is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's a it's interesting what you uncover when you're doing the research. It's a it's a complicated process, and I think the most prevalent methods are these chemical solvent methods, So whether you're using ethylactate or methylene chloride, where they can you know, soak the coffee beans directly in this chemically processed solution, or process the water and strip the caffeine out. But what that often does is also not just strip out the caffeine, but strip out a lot of the flavor and the hot the qualities of coffee, which is why decaff frankly, in my opinion, gets a bad rap because that's you know a lot of the way it's been processed, and Decaff's always kind of, you know, an afterthought for a lot of brands, like we have our decaff skew, here's our dcaff bean. People who drink it don't have another choice, so they'll just drink it.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 5: Where a Swiss water process, when we came across it felt perfect. One. It doesn't use chemicals at all. So if there is an option to not use chemicals, like why not go that route and have you know, a cleaner process. But the other piece of it is it also retains the quality and flavor of coffee, so it doesn't strip the oils out of the coffee bean because it's only using water, temperature and time right to gently remove that, and then it kind of maintains a lot of the properties and the flavors that you would get from a regular caffeinated coffee. So yeah, it was kind of those two things that made it feel perfect for us. So you know, it's clean, it's delicious, and it's decafs so.
Speaker 2: And we did notice with the with the unflavored decaff low key, it was so smooth, yes, not bitter, not chemically, it was just a really it tasted clean. I think Derek said, like this is refreshing, you know, like it was a refreshing flavor. Maybe that's because of that process.
Speaker 5: I think it's attributed partly to that. So you know, you you don't, like I said, you don't have the flavor stripped out as much. You Also, we use one hundred percent Arabica bean, which there's Arabica and Robusta beans. Arabica is is noted to be a little more smooth, less bitter. And also this is a cold brew coffee, so it probably it should taste a little more concentrated than just concentrator cup of coffee. But with the cold brew.
Speaker 1: Message held up on top of ice. It really did, yes, and.
Speaker 5: Then with the cold brew method that also is known to kind of make it smooth and less bitterer because it's that slow brewing over you know, a twelve to twenty four hour period of it actually brewing in cold water versus you know, a hot filtration. So all of those things combined Swiss water, cold brew process, Arabica beans kind of creates that flavor profile you were describing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how did you come up with the name, because we were, like last year when I came out that I was off the caffeine, we were trying to come up with new names for decaf so that it wouldn't feel so stigmatized.
Speaker 1: And low key is just such a.
Speaker 2: Great It really gets it because I still want the coffee, but I don't need to be amped. I don't need to be like, you know, on I don't need to feel like I'm on drugs, right, but I just want chill. I think Derek was like, maybe it's chill coffee. He's such a great name. How'd you come up with it?
Speaker 5: Thanks? Yeah, we were just came up with it because we were kicking around, you know, a couple of different names, like what could we call this? And honestly, Gindy just kind of threw it out. We were driving one day and he said, what if we called it low key coffee? And it kind of just clicked in that moment. It's like it has so many different things that made it right for the brand, like low key coffee. So it is a little more understated. It's more chill than a regular cup of coffee. It Yeah, just the sound of it, low key coffee. There's a little bit of that rhyming scheme to it. It's very commonly used and understood term in today's Yeah and gen Z young millennial, like everyone uses it and gets it where and what that doesn't?
Speaker 2: I think is brilliant because I feel like decaf coffee. When I grew up, decaff coffee was for old people. Yes it was you know my parents' friends or even older like my grandparents were would have it after dinner, right, no one else did. So I feel like you're directly marketing to a younger audience.
Speaker 1: That's really smart. Was that intentional?
Speaker 5: Very intentional? I think, yes, we know there is a swath of you know, current decaf coffee drinkers, and it's constantly thought of as like an elderly person's beverage of choice, but it is there is like a shift. I mean two of us are right here on the talking Coffee podcasts like who are current.
Speaker 1: Drinkers feel elderly?
Speaker 5: Yet no, we're not, and you know we can be the representatives of all those people who there is that shift. There is you know, the young millennial gen z who are you know a little more health conscious the way they're leading their lives and just awarefee justfeine minimalists exactly.
Speaker 6: DCAF is like emphasizing the negative. It's like we've taken the caffeine out of this and so yeah, it's like d something has been removed, So the essence has been removed. But like low key, it's like no, it's it's all the coffee that you want.
Speaker 2: It's it's all the Yeah. But it's a choice. It's a choice choosing this. I'm choosing this, which is nice.
Speaker 5: And just so you know, decaf coffee is not caffeine free. There is a little bit of caffeine, it's just a ton less and then regularly, like a regular cup of coffee could be one hundred and fifty milligrams. This is like ten x less than that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and talk about that for a second too, because like, is there a way to make it totally caffeine free or do you do you intentionally leave a little caffeine?
Speaker 1: What is that about?
Speaker 5: Uh No, the Swiss water process removes like ninety nine point nine percent of the caffeine. I think, I don't know if there's a way to get to one hundred percent. I'm not you know, a scientist, but I'm sure we could ask someone and find out. But also because this is you know, a cold brew and it's a little more concentrated, but I think most typical decafs are up to twenty milligrams of caffeine and that's considered decaf, and that's in line with like other decaff beverages as well. So there's a little bit so it can give you, you know, a little more energy than zero, but it's definitely not to the extent where you're you know, feeling wired and jittery and and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if you had any any advice if you know someone who is trying to get off caffeine, or if you're thinking about how are how are what are the ways in which you should not talk about those people? And I am asking this for my friend Derek, because Derek.
Speaker 1: Has been Derek is is.
Speaker 2: Him earlier, incredibly kind and supportive, but I think because he's ignorant about how people live in a caffeinist world. He says things like, so for normal people to caffeine drinkers, what kind of language should we be using into a caffeine minimalist, less caffeineest world. If we want to be the change we create, what are some better ways to talk about helping people like us normal people.
Speaker 5: That's interesting. I want to make any offense to that, Derek. I know we just met, but.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's an interesting question.
Speaker 5: We'll have to give that some thought on like how to talk about it. But I think you know, the one thing with low Key Coffee is this is built for people who do love coffee. Like we're all coffee lovers, and yes we're saying you people, it's a choice, but for some people it's not. And regardless of if it's a choice or not, like we can all enjoy coffee together. I think you know, Derek, I heard you reference the sneeches. It's it's literally like that, Like, do not tell me I don't have the star on my value. I like, we are all coffee lovers.
Speaker 2: And I am no less a coffee exactly. I still because I drink teacaffe.
Speaker 5: Yes, I want to enjoy my coffee every day. It's coffee can be a very social thing as well, and I just think, you know, it doesn't matter what kind of coffee it is you're drinking, but it brings people together, and you know a lot of people enjoy it and have their own rituals, and so regardless of how much caffeine is in the cup, you know, I don't think that matters.
Speaker 3: Well, you're you're elevating the experience. The fact that decaf drinkers sort of had to slum it with this like less.
Speaker 5: Ye for you, decaff drinkers deserve good coffee too, they do totally.
Speaker 2: I saw an Instagram post where you guys you were making coffee popsicles with local coffee.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing.
Speaker 5: That's great idea, perfect timing. Yeah, just it's perfect time. Yeah, it's going to.
Speaker 2: Make a little key with like a little cream, a little sugar sweet.
Speaker 5: I made a little variety, So I did some just straight up low key, add some simple syrup to some some milk and some you can do a little variety.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be like after summer chocolate, some kind of Yes, Yeah that sounds great.
Speaker 1: Make a mocha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like good.
Speaker 3: When did you When did you guys actually launch?
Speaker 5: So we actually launched just a couple of months ago. We saft launched this year. Yeah, I know, so we I mean it's been a process, right, I We've been working on it for a couple of years. Literally, I was on maternity leave and we were formulating the product, like in our dining room. We had found, you know, a great supplier helped us, you know, get the formulation right, working on the brand identity and low Key coffee and everything and getting everything stood up and produced and then yeah, we were so excited to launch drinklowkey dot com this year and you know, bring it to the market. So it's been a couple of months, but it's been going really well and we're just really excited to finally, you know, be able to hold it and drink it and have other people try it as well.
Speaker 2: Are you going to introduce a skew with milk included?
Speaker 5: Do you think Yeah, definitely, I think We've got a lot of ideas and a lot of plans, but this was, you know, the the easiest way to get out there was, you know, let's not go crazy and trying to create too much of you know, a niche like, let's give people just a really great tasting decaf. We'll do one with the flavor because that's often not even an option for a lot of decaf drinkers. And then you know, you can make it how you drink it. Do you want add creamer, do you want add sugar? Like, whatever you want, you can do with that today. And then yes, at some point we definitely want to be able to bring kind of those different flavors and formats of like a latte or something as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Congrats, it's a great product, okye. In case this is a nad, feel free, Feel free. This podcast can be brought to you by Lowkey Coffee.
Speaker 4: It's not, it just happens to be.
Speaker 2: It just I'm so glad you were here to talk us through your journey and we're we're in.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're in at the ground floor of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we love having really.
Speaker 2: Exciting, so exciting it's like the Batman.
Speaker 4: It's like the bat call.
Speaker 6: Like you you just knew, you knew somewhere in the world somebody's gonna find finding a solution and you just found it.
Speaker 1: Found me, We found it.
Speaker 5: Really, this was meant this was meant to be.
Speaker 1: It was meant to be.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, listen, keep us posted on all new things. I'm going to be watching low Key and tell people where they can find low Key both I.
Speaker 1: R L and online. Absolutely, I'm not elderly.
Speaker 5: No, thank you so much for having me. It was great to chat at.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Low Key Coffee is available at Drinklokey dot com. We're also on TikTok shop and we are also available locally at a new kitchens in the broader Philadelphia area. But yeah, so feel free to check us out. We hope everyone you know who is calf curious, will you give us a try?
Speaker 1: And what's your socials us tell us the Loki socials.
Speaker 5: It's drink Underscore Loki.
Speaker 1: Go find it.
Speaker 2: That's a fun account and you can learn more about Loki Coffee. Adriana Guildelsberger, thanks so much and say hi to Guindy for us.
Speaker 5: I will say hello, thanks for having me. It's great to chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break, and when we come back coffee News. And we're back with coffee news.
Speaker 1: That was fine.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad we got to dive a little deeper onto Loki Coffee.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm so impressed with entrepreneurs, Like I had this idea. I mean, she obviously had some background in it, but like, I have an idea and now I have a product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am endlessly impressed.
Speaker 2: I watch a lot of Shark Tank and I'm just like, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: That's not how my mind works.
Speaker 2: Me neither me to Like, I've got an idea and I'm gonna take it to market.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm so impressed.
Speaker 3: I'm like, who can I just give this away for free to totally.
Speaker 2: But that was great And again I'm just so glad that product exists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I liked what she said about the focus on like the because I think we a lot of at least me and Lauren really liked the black coffee even more than the vanilla one. I like that she just like focused it. We wanted to start small. We'll add flavors later. But like, let's just do a great job with the basic kind.
Speaker 3: And they really didn't realize that decaf drinkers wouldn't have a flavor option. So that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I mean that you're almost never Yeah it's just decalf and yeah, it really sucks the way she described it as like absolutely right, like you'll have whatever they have they offer, that's the only thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the way you get. Yeah, that's not fair.
Speaker 2: I want all the options that I used to have, yeah, with flavors and RTD and yeah, I mean give it all to me. So yeah, glad they're here. Okay, first bit of coffee news. I'm kind of intrigued by this as someone who uses I use both a cureg for Duncan and then an espresso for an espresso.
Speaker 1: So the pods.
Speaker 2: Italian coffee giant Lavazza launches single served tablets to make espresso in the US. Now, when I say tablet, this is called this new thing is called tablim and it's a new brewing system that uses one hundred percent coffee tablets.
Speaker 1: I'm going to show you this. There is no whoa weird, there's no packaging around the coffee the coffee is the pod.
Speaker 3: Looks like a little pill essentially it comes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're like as big as like a pod, but like a disc.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so nice and environmentally friendly, right, that's the point.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like, is this new sort of sustainable version of coffee because so many people are using the pods and that just creates so much plastic and aluminum waste. Yea, you know additionally what it's putting into your coffee, but also just what it's putting into the ground in the environment.
Speaker 1: This is no packaging.
Speaker 2: It's like if you tamped down, you know, when you make espresso, you tamp it down, you pack It's almost like if you could just harden that disc and sell that disc. This is what it is, and it is just for espresso. It's an espresso tablet. So you could make a coffee. You could make like an Americano with it if you want it, but it is espresso.
Speaker 1: It's an espresso tablet with no gelat and.
Speaker 2: No coating, no binders of any kind, no packaging. At launch, the tabs will come in five varieties Espresso, double espresso.
Speaker 1: Decaf, Espresso, let's go Supercrema or Longo, which is a long shot.
Speaker 3: But hmmm, that's very clever. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that me too.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious again about like process and anyway how you do that. But very cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's For years, cigs pods have been dogged by questions about waste, leaving an opening for a competitor with a more environmentally product. I mean, listen, if it tastes great, and I don't have to.
Speaker 1: We talked about this for then Espresso.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to like send them back to Espresso so that they can properly recycle.
Speaker 1: Them, which was occasionally I do it. I don't do it every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. There was a power I was doing the n Espresso thing and I got the bag, but I I never sent it back. It required going to the actual post.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and yeah. I just think this is such a smart idea. If it works, if it doesn't fall apart, if it tastes great, all the things. My question is if I have to I assume you have to buy a special machine for this to break it apart. Huh yeah, yeah, I assume you can't just put it into whatever you have, like you have to get They are specific probably very expensive machine. But if it's if it's like a test market, I'm sure the other brands will come up with.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, yeah, and it'll kick everybody else to get into care about to do their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm I'm still trying to picture how it works.
Speaker 6: So does it like melt away basically as the cup gets filled or is it like.
Speaker 1: I think it does. I think it dissolves.
Speaker 4: It just kind of dissolves. Wow, that's that's very interesting.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't look like, let me see or it's the same thing as the espresso worth water filters through and you just dump the coffee grounds.
Speaker 6: But it's just essentially the same as like coffee grounds at that point I think, so, yeah, maybe that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't Actually you wouldn't stay here, Yeah, you wouldn't want to consume whatever that is, right, I think it's still a filtering system.
Speaker 3: Hum, that would be my guess.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's a good guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. That's very cool, very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just says the result that we've been able to achieve was through a very complicated industrial process in order to be able to have the coffee tablet, very compact, to be able to deliver it without destroying it, to have it be able to work in a coffee machine. That they don't talk about though, What actually happens to this packed disc once it goes in the coffee machine. It doesn't say in this article. But I'll look for an opportunity to try it. So they're officially walking launching Tabli in the US in August. A ninety nine dollar bundle that includes the machine and a sixty count variety pack of tabs and milk frother is available tree order.
Speaker 1: That is not too bad.
Speaker 2: That is someone saying we want you to try this, and we're gonna make it very easy for you to try by giving you the machine and sixty tablets for one hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. It's just what you need is a third coffee machine, a.
Speaker 1: Third coffee machine, a coffee room.
Speaker 2: You need a coffee room, truly, truly, Okay, See, I.
Speaker 6: Think you need to go to a mountain, and I think you are the right person to do this. You need to come up with ten the ten commandments of coffee, and you need to engrave them on one of these coffee tablets and then that is that is what we will all live by.
Speaker 1: The coffee commandments. That's such a good idea.
Speaker 6: The first one is obviously that it's coffee iced coffee season all year round.
Speaker 1: That's the shout drink ice coffee around.
Speaker 3: Remember.
Speaker 2: One thou shalt not make fun of decaftrin ghost.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, is enough.
Speaker 2: One thou shalt not drink a cappuccino after eleven am in Italy.
Speaker 1: That's another one.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, that's how saying you got you. You just rolled them off like you are the right person to do this.
Speaker 1: That's a funny idea. I'll give it a whirl maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, next bit of coffee news, you guys, the robots are coming to destroy our coffee. No, so apparently there's a Starbucks Chatchypte app.
Speaker 1: Why ask why? Ask why?
Speaker 3: Why? For ordering what I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: To help you pick your coffee order.
Speaker 4: I hate that this.
Speaker 1: Is such a gimmick.
Speaker 2: Yes, so someone at Food and Wine God bless her, tried this. In April twenty twenty six, Starbucks introduced its betas Starbucks app and jet Chat Gipt, which just strink orders to customers based on their text or image inputs into the chatbox thread. Consumers can ask for a drink order idea based on their flavor preferences, personal style, past orders, and more. I put the app to the test, she says, to find out if it's actually helpful, and I identified a few issues with the user experience.
Speaker 1: Along the way.
Speaker 6: Issue number one, it's thereat. The only options you have is Starbucks coffee.
Speaker 1: Well, that's issue number one, and the most.
Speaker 3: Expensive coffee on the menu.
Speaker 1: Probably yep, yes, right.
Speaker 2: So she gives some examples of things that she tried in this app. They're really funny, she says. When I asked for When I asked it for a drink ideas based on a headshot I posted on Instagram, its suggestion seemed largely influenced by the black and cream color palette of my clothing. It recommended ordering a vanilla sweet cream cold Brews. Who wants a drink based on their clothes? That's weird, so strange, Yeah, she said, Not all of its advice is good. Two of the creamy non dairy drinks it suggested to me when I asked for dairy free options were plain cups of steamed or cold non dairy milk.
Speaker 3: Crows. What that's a misstep.
Speaker 2: While it claims to not offer drink suggestions based on stereotypes or generalizations, oh wow, it was willing to answer my request for a drink for an LGBTQ plus person with no other parameters or input at it. Its initial response exclusively recommended vividly hued, colorful drinks with an emphasis on pink beverages.
Speaker 1: That is not okay.
Speaker 3: No, no, this is silly at.
Speaker 2: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, is what I have to say to this.
Speaker 3: I also feel like a gimmick who doesn't know their coffee order correct. Show me a person in this world who's like, ah, should I get here?
Speaker 2: This is for a twelve year old? Yes, how do you want your coffee? Show us your headshot and we'll recommend the coffee we think goes.
Speaker 1: Best with your what you're wearing.
Speaker 3: Like, it's so absurd, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It's so rude to an actual coffee drinker.
Speaker 2: I think it's so condescending and like a slap in the face to people who love coffee. Yeah, to be like, you can get you can find good coffee this way.
Speaker 1: No, you can't.
Speaker 3: It's no absurd dumb. I don't want to be fed your ideas or like, I don't need to be on this AI like coffee coffee, you don't need to go on the AI trend or whatever. Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: I saw commercial the other day for Chase Bank, and it showed this guy sort of melancholically walking through a city. He's trying to get a cup of coffee. It's delivered by a robot. He's trying to, like, you know, figure something out at a gas station. It's all like a pin pad whatever, can't can't interact with anybody.
Speaker 1: He walks into a Chase Bank and there's a person. She's like, Hey, come on, let's go sit down at my desk and talk. It's nice.
Speaker 2: So the whole point was like, in this world of increased AI and robots and computers were trying to find more human to human interaction. Starbucks get with the program, like, that's that's where we want to go.
Speaker 4: Ye, Chase Bank for that, I make you the.
Speaker 2: Biggest bank in the world, but yeah, that's where we want to go.
Speaker 3: Also, I feel like Starbucks was the probably just because the largeness of it, the chainness of it, Like the first idea to me as a barista. Like you know, I had a friend in high school who became a Starbucks barista, So like that job. It was Starbucks was the first entree to that, and so into the and the whole idea of like getting your name wrong, Like these are all funny human things that you can lean into and like enjoy.
Speaker 2: And the point of an interface like Starbucks is you can completely customize. I mean, that's a whole joke, right, you want half calf, no fat, no foam, level, all the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are you handing that off to a robot? I know, to for sure get it wrong. Yeah, and to just be some dumb again like a gimmick. It's just a gimmick.
Speaker 2: And I don't think we should be playing gimmicks with our coffee.
Speaker 3: And isn't the best thing about being a regular at a place is someone knowing your order. Like me going to the coffee guy Gamd outside of Yart. He welcomes me and starts getting my coffee before I even I love it so much, it's so it's.
Speaker 6: Very It reminds and this whole thing reminds me of this sort of trend right now of people trying to outsource their like physical being to a robot, like what tell me what to eat? Tell me what to consume? Yeah, and you knows see maybe partly due to your influence.
Speaker 4: I have started going to therapy recently, and.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I have been talking to my therapist about is like this idea of being like embodied and not and and so, because you know, so much of my work is like in my head, and like I I often am like not totally aware of like exactly how I'm feeling in any given moment, like sure, and I think that this is kind of catering to that thing.
Speaker 1: It's like you don't don't don't.
Speaker 6: Listen to your to yourself, don't listen to your body to see what ma coffee you want? Yeah, let's your phone and let the AI just like tell you exactly what to eat, what to.
Speaker 1: Consider, and what you feel.
Speaker 3: Emotions are hard, exactly put them into this computer.
Speaker 1: Yes, such a terrible idea.
Speaker 2: I hope I hope it gets just blasted because it's I just you're ruining everything.
Speaker 1: You're ruining everything about coffee that we love. Yeah, I hate it.
Speaker 4: Okay, give us some better news, got to have better news.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's adorable.
Speaker 2: I'm a big baseball fan. I wasn't aware of this particular ritual. It's only about ten years old, so it's it's not, you know, a century old. But at Wrigley where the Chicago Cubs plays stadium, I've been to many times. It is much like Fenway, a very historical special place and great place to watch a ball game, and I watched many many games there.
Speaker 1: The Cubs have.
Speaker 2: This kind of Newish tradition where they send the opposed the visiting team's rookies on a coffee run before the game.
Speaker 1: I love that for the whole team.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the Cubs will call in an order to the Starbucks down the street and it is unfortunately Starbucks, and they put in an order of like this says, twenty seven coffees, all individually, right, okay, so this is a it's a pain. This is a pain in the butt. Yeah, And that's the point. And then for this particular one right up, they sent the Oakland A's rookie is about five or six rookies through the streets of Chicago in full dress uniform. Love this to pick up these coffee orders, right, like trays of coffees walk back through. So funny and what an adorable very welcome to Chicago and ritual for the opposing team.
Speaker 4: And the coffee is for the Cubs, the Cubs.
Speaker 1: The coffee is for the Cubs, right right, You're going to get our coffee.
Speaker 6: There's a little bit of trust there too, that they're not like spitting in the cups or.
Speaker 1: Sabotaging this right right. Really cute. But I love ballplayers, so I used to.
Speaker 2: When I came into journalism, I used to write sports and I wrote for Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 1: I you know, interviewed lots of people.
Speaker 2: I always loved interviewing ballplayers because they are incredibly.
Speaker 1: Succinct.
Speaker 3: How funny.
Speaker 1: Listen to this.
Speaker 2: Gauge jump one of the Oakland A's rookies, who goes We went out to do this as it was cool. It was weird walking over there in full uniform. I didn't get a coffee, but I made sure everyone else got a coffee.
Speaker 3: Oh, follow the rules.
Speaker 1: Here's another quote from another player. It was cool.
Speaker 2: Everybody was pretty cool about it.
Speaker 1: All the fans were taking pictures. It was cool.
Speaker 3: You know, in some ways. When I when you first started saying this, part of me was like, is this like a little bit hazing, but then yeah, yeah. It also feels like as a rookie you are not the star player. I mean you could be, and so like in a way it gets them to be you know, wound up in like Chicago baseball fandom and like people excited, Like it's kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally, I love everything about this to that point of the hazing another player, there was a little bit of heckling, but everyone was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Cool is definitely another one.
Speaker 2: We also had some leftover coffee after the game, so we grabbed a lot.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 3: I'm really feeling the energy and the love.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you.
Speaker 2: Like I I interviewed race car drivers, football players, hockey player, basketball players. I could tell you a baseball player from the quote, Wow, it's cool.
Speaker 3: What is it about them that they don't have much to us?
Speaker 1: It's not a social game.
Speaker 2: You are not next and you don't talk to players, right you imagine a baseball you're ye, three folks away out in the out here and you're not talking to people.
Speaker 1: I think that's maybe part of it. You know, football you've got to huddle. You know, people are next to each other. Basketball you're like shit talking on the court.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if that's why, but like I could pick out a baseball player from a quote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is why the baseball players that don't like the Keith hernandez Is of the world, who are like, you know, equacious and then and talkative and outgoing, they become commentators because you're so few.
Speaker 1: There's so few. But I love that story. What a fun what a fun idea and tradition.
Speaker 2: So last time on talking coffee, we talked about the video games right that we're coming out for coffee lovers. There's one apparently that's set in Tokyo, and I think it's called Tokyo Coffee Shop.
Speaker 1: And the whole game is I'm.
Speaker 2: Sitting in coffee shops making coffee, drinking coffee, talking to other people in the cafe about coffee.
Speaker 1: Sounds amazing, Yeah, sounds great.
Speaker 2: I came across I don't know, maybe because I did that story.
Speaker 1: I got served This.
Speaker 4: Story algorithm is like a new niche.
Speaker 2: This is uh okay. The headline is double ow seven First Light Okay, which is apparently a Bond video game. Yeah, can make a good cup of coffee.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, okay, they're like a coffee mini game in the James Bond game.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not. It's not a game. But listen to this. I love this.
Speaker 2: Some video game player or writer or reviewer his name is Luke Plunkett, did a review of this game and noticed in the game all the locations coffee machines were like.
Speaker 1: Factually accurate college wow, and high tech.
Speaker 4: Love this detail like.
Speaker 2: He shows this one this in game Wow espresso maker.
Speaker 3: It's a serious like restaurant style.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the graphics are I mean incredible.
Speaker 2: This looks like a photograph basically, But he says, because I'm no longer capable of playing video games like a normal human being. When I fired up Double seven First Light earlier this week to ostensibly play as a globe trotting secret agent, I instead quickly found myself poking around kitchens and breakrooms looking at how everyone in the game was making coffee. And I pleased to report that for the most part, everyone in this game is doing just fine, maybe better than fine cast dryes on these excellent espresso machines.
Speaker 4: He shows other ones in the game. This is a.
Speaker 3: Another restaurant style one, and then that this one looks like mine, looks like the one that I have.
Speaker 2: The detail coffee expert Jesse Rob hopefully tells me that the machine appears to be very closely based on Lesbetsiali's Mini Vivaldi.
Speaker 1: Two, like very serious machines.
Speaker 4: That's so great.
Speaker 1: He goes on to say.
Speaker 2: Those who prefer their coffee dripping all morning and tasting like an ashtray are also being looked out for, as the game also includes good old fashioned trip coffee machines.
Speaker 1: You can see this guy's yeah.
Speaker 3: Station okay marble Marble backsplash.
Speaker 2: Presumably the above is for use by the same character as the blender and protein shakes everywhere, because for them, the joys of taste and flavor are secondary to crunching numbers and maximizing gains.
Speaker 4: This is a great angle for a video game story.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm obsessed with this person for noticing all of this and taking the time to write this up and research it. Wonderfully, the game doesn't just make a couple of machines and call it today.
Speaker 1: There are more.
Speaker 2: Not too far in the campaign, Bond finds himself in a smuggler's marketplace in the Mauritania desert, where the locals short on amenities and the rusking hulks of old cargo ships are brewing themselves cups of coffee on stovetops.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love it. French press pour over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a little sign that says, don't touch because it's hot.
Speaker 1: Because it's hot.
Speaker 2: Later in the game, situated in the dystopian corporate offices of a military arms manufacturer, we have an example of an automatic coffee machine which grinds Storre's milk and produces loads of different types of coffee at the press of a button. The ideal coffee solution for a company that values aesthetics and perceived cost over the actual quality of the coffee being produced.
Speaker 1: I just love what a niche.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 6: Well, this is fantastic. And every element of these machines had to be carefully designed by artists that worked on the game, and so I feel like to those designers and the video game developers, I have to say, release the coffee DLC that the downloadable content that games produced sometimes that are like extra things we need the James Bond Coffee shopp be making. Yeah, like make it interactive. You did all the work to design it, make these things interactive, and like let us let us make coffee if we want for the whole the whole game.
Speaker 2: Is such a good point because you know, he he does in this in this piece, give all all the props to the art department in this game, and like, how cool it must be that someone noticed, right, because they obviously took a lot of time to make those details accurate and interesting and noteworthy.
Speaker 1: And yeah, not just in the.
Speaker 2: Background, and he noticed, and now we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: I would love for the whoever it would be, the designer, the director, who's the coffee hound behind that? You know, there had to be someone who's like who decided, you know what we're gonna do here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you know what it reminds?
Speaker 4: Yes, get them on the pod.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is right, but like, why haven't we had this might be fairly obvious. Why hasn't there been a great Disney movie like a ratituo e but about like a coffee shop or coffee maybe because caffeine's not appropriate for kids, but like putting that aside, like where is the great coffee shop? Like animation Disney movie are something there's something.
Speaker 6: Very specifically thinking animation, like a like a really richly like yes, animation, but.
Speaker 1: Like is this I mean, the beauty and the jungles of the.
Speaker 3: Tea pot is giving your character.
Speaker 1: Coffee pots of.
Speaker 6: Movies are are are fantastical not necessarily set in the modern world. I mean a lot of them are like like once you mentioned, but maybe that's also part of it, Like coffee shops feel like a very contemporary thing, and a lot of these those movies tend to be either missing or whatever.
Speaker 2: I watched one where Jerry Sein felt to be who fell in love with a woman played by Renelle Always so please please be movie. Sorry, And maybe there's a cultural Okay, this is coming in my mind as we talk.
Speaker 1: What if like pick a very.
Speaker 2: Coffee heavy culture, like Cuban coffee, right, maybe we're going to learn about Cuban culture in this movie. And it's around a family that runs a Cuban coffee shop. Yeah, and the whole there's some other story, but the backstory is all the coffee making and the community that comes through the Cuban coffee community.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, this is a golden that's.
Speaker 3: Sort of giving me like cocoa flavors in terms of like family and like the memories of the young person. So like with Ratichili, it all came back to that old critic reminding child mildhood food. And so maybe maybe this person in your Cuban story goes far far away from Cuba, but the smell of coffee brings him, locates him back in time or something something. There's something here, yeah.
Speaker 4: The aroma of coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well in Incanto there was that one of the kids that drinks a lot of coffee.
Speaker 4: That's kind of ye, that's true.
Speaker 3: That was great talking a mile a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was very true.
Speaker 3: My kids were like, what what's happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's just such an evocative you know, the coffee shop is just such like an evocative place.
Speaker 1: I just think it would be a great setting for.
Speaker 5: Like a.
Speaker 3: Community feel. Yeah. Yeah, all right, Disney, get on it.
Speaker 1: Back to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you're welcome. Another free idea full of.
Speaker 1: Them these days. Well, thanks, guys, this was so fun.
Speaker 4: I'm really fun.
Speaker 1: One of the Guindi's on to talk about Loki coffee.
Speaker 3: A purist external interview. I think it might have been. I mean, we had.
Speaker 1: John, We're really journalist.
Speaker 3: John was John on. Yes, you're right, John was tasting.
Speaker 4: But John is part of the family, so that he's part of that.
Speaker 2: He's basically I mean, yeah, this was a first real Yeah.
Speaker 6: We didn't talk about the cold are the candy Lobby, But I guess because Adrian is not as directly involved.
Speaker 1: He did it.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll try to We'll try to effort Gindy on her husband. Yeah, but but I have a feeling, well, we'll be following up with low Kei and maybe doing some more with them.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks guys, all right, we'll see you next time on Talking Coffee and don't forget to go check out our great interviews on Off the Cup. We talk politics, little mental health, little uh, some interviews.
Speaker 1: It's great stuff. Go over there and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcasts as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 1: If you want more, check out the other.
Speaker 2: Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill and Native Land pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host, Se Cup, editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Se Cup, Lauren Hanson, and Lindsay Hoffman. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, follow or subscribe for new episod So it's every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: H