Speaker 1: Should we hit the beat? I gotta to think of a new beat.
Speaker 2: I always go, this is it's really real serving?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just serving pancakes. Yeah, I'm Maddie King and this is our guest, Mollie McKay original m B And what's an m B U For those of us that don't know, I do know, but you've got to tell the people. It's a Metal Blocker University n O G members.
Speaker 3: She can't be the U.
Speaker 1: I'm the big Oh you were I was just trying to that's a really good I'm pretty good. Wait wait anyways, okay, so maybe have Molly the cage? Do you want to share her accolades? Did you know all this? You know? This is prime time, all all all American. Yeah, also very sport. I don't even do that. And also that tread. I've actually known Molly for a very long time. You all know how she gets.
Speaker 4: I've been on a very long time, and honestly, I just I just been playing with her for a while.
Speaker 1: And I just had to come up with epiphany in this past week. Like you know, I've done her for since high school. You know when you have high school? Yeah, she had a bob brace calling me Bob. So it's such a full a moment.
Speaker 4: You will see Molly in this beautiful spiritual body that she's in and see how much she's grown. And I'm just so proud of you and I love you so much. Ago that for sure, and welcome to our banks. We're happy to have you.
Speaker 1: You am I going to cry probably how many time while I'm gonna cry because she probably wild.
Speaker 5: You can't cry because I'm I'm like, I'm a self diagnosed contact crier. So other people cry, I start crying even if I don't know what's going on because I cry first. Non So you all, we're going to hit you with some fast hit questions just to kind of keep the light symbol and get you going Instagram pancakes.
Speaker 1: Are you ready? Yes? Party, I'm not cheating.
Speaker 4: If someone described long the cage energy in one sentence, what would you hope they would say?
Speaker 1: Hi, big one? You know, I think I have like slip personal disorder. No, I'm kidding. I think off the court, I'm quite light in, giggly and hopefully relatable. But then on the court I get ritzy, fear and intense. I get after it and like, like my life depends on it, like it's my job, I guess.
Speaker 4: But it's like an alter ego, Like Mollie's definitely so different like off the court that she's on the court.
Speaker 1: You have an alter you go name like I'm Mom the Kate off the court, big dog, the k Dog. So my legal name actually just changed it to Mollie, like I've gotten that Molly my entire life. But like government name is now Molly. It used to be Mallory, So maybe it's Mallory that like shows herself on the court. It's like a scar girl. Yeah, so this is not a quick rapid they're quick hits, but they're just like that.
Speaker 5: Okay, if your team at Texas when you guys were there had to show a reality show.
Speaker 1: What would it be called Longhorns Club? Bad Girls Club? It No, that's really good. I think that's great. Real Bad Girls of Austin, Texas.
Speaker 4: We gave like like royalty that made sense, like you know, you have like no off instead of sports out there, but you had like you know, the soccer players and you have the softball players, which is fine, but like you know, we went out downtown.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh my god, you think that persists.
Speaker 5: Now you guys have I feel like Tone was a celebrity, I know't Texas.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel. That's how I feel too. I think that we made Texas volleyball school. Yeah I would say that, and it's so I need to be. But what's done it? I was like, yeah, I can't go get him. Everyone's bad.
Speaker 4: What's one thing that keeps you grounded no matter how crazy life gets?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some amazing people, and you guys could it. And it's honestly, I I lean on my friends a ton, to the point where maybe sometimes I'm like, I just tell my therapistiness anyways, but I really do just have like solid rockstar people in my life, and I like make that intention of mine and so the people in my life keep me grounded. And life can get crazy, as you guys know, but I very much lean on the people around me.
Speaker 4: With that being said, like, what are the things that you learned obviously playing the sport and on the court that you're applying to your life and in yourself outside the court in what.
Speaker 1: Way when you like what I've learned through visiting or just like you know, having a certain mentality of going off into the world world and applying that yet oh for sure, So it's I mean I've had a real adult job before. What was it? I was directing of operations. I had to get several jobs, but a director of operations for the men's Libel team of Pepperdine. I have worked at two different startups. As a marketing coordinator, I worked at a house plant shop. I was also the player player coordinator for Athletes Unlimited all the time and what else. I've done various odd jobs for AU in different regards. So but as a professional volleyball player, I very much take all of the skills in terms of I think we are over communicators. That's ingrained in us as bollyball players, and it's me when somebody isn't constantly communicating as well, and like eye contact and touch is actually like scientifically so proven to like expedite relationships interest and that's something I think I speak over to like the corporate world of like we need constant like even if it's not workoated, so like the bands for the jokes, the giggles of just like hey, let's catch up for an hour and instead of like actually talking about work, like sometimes that's more important than that work.
Speaker 5: Stuff truly, so keeping up same aspect to like when you meet the new team, where you start a new year, like going off the court and getting coffee and doing stuff outside of volleyball so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does it mean right now? Couple jobs? Like you know, volleyball, you're back, I would say, your pride right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah for real, I would agree, great, starting is killing it?
Speaker 1: Like what does it mean just being who you are now? Thank you for saying that. I think we needed. I needed a little gut check and maybe it comes at different times in people's lives, but having the perspective of like, well it could be different and coming back and being like I am so grateful for this sport. I'm grateful for people around me. Our job is crazy amazing, Like our hours are great. Obviously travel you know whatever, at least you get to see people in travel. I think that this one's a huge one for me. I know that I have a clock, like we all kind of do, you know. So I'm just trying to milk it for what it's worth, and especially having League one, like playing here in the States is a huge, huge deal, and I the benefits that we received from this I think like this platform right now is a benefit, you know, and sharing our stories is something that we weren't really able to do and we were overseas and the frigid cold, like you know, we didn't have that kind of stage and that's something that's super fulfilling for me as well. So coming back and being grateful helps with my discipline and just knowing that it's leading. It truly is scary, but like that keeps it fun. Yeah, but doesn't it kind of help you show up every single day? We were like, wow, I don't know how the years I have left, Like I know, I'm at the tail end of my career technically, like I have less years left in me than like water behind me. And I'm like every day on the court, I'm like this, I don't even know when my last day will be, Like I'm going to treat it like this last also, like we just know what works now. Yeah, we have tried many things that didn't work, and so now I like, have we talked about this? Whenever? You know, a young man of Walker's like, hey, what can I do? And I can tell you all the things, but it kind of is just reps. Yeah, you just got to learn on it. Some things on your eyes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it takes time to get good to your craft. We put in some time, very long time. I like this one.
Speaker 4: How has your definition of success changed from when you were at Texas until now?
Speaker 1: Oh, just a really good one. I think at that age I was chasing cloud.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, I mean all of the accolades and like championships meant that you were a great vollball player. And now I just know I'm a great level player. I don't need the athletes. That's very surprising. I would never you never did with you to me what I want to me, like us being in the same position and I was older than you.
Speaker 4: I felt like you were just trying to chasing to be better, you know, And that's so much respected to Like I didn't even know.
Speaker 1: That a better trophy. Yeah, yeah, I I think I want to. I'm not like like as a team like I wanted to be part of like the winning team, you know, Like I didn't think that all American was in the part to me because the team that I was on all Americans, So I was like just here for the ride and I want to win with them. And so it was an extra bonus to get all American awards for sure, But I think I was like I want so badly to win and winning now just being like doing your best and giving what you have and it doesn't define me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what moment in your volleyball career may be the most proud of the WOK to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no emotional day, I think your times. You know, my path is kind of scarly. You're actually really drawing. I know, as you guys know, my path has been a little weird. And I stopped and retired and at a life crisis and then came back and was like am I still good enough to do this? And over time I was like, okay, maybe sure, like I still want this, but I don't know if it wants me. And then slowly over time I was like, Okay, I think that I deserve to be here. I think I'm always struggled with confidence and like, am I worthy enough to be on this team? Do I deserve a spot? And then now changing right now, like there's so many serious but that too is hard too to be question and you'd every single day yeah, and you already do that to yourself. So being your own cheerleader and You've taught me this many many times. Being your own cheerleader is the most important. So maybe it wasn't a moment, but it was like a little tiny success is that I would get coming back again and being like, oh, this is where I'm supposed to be. I wasn't supposed to retire earlier, was supposed to come back and enjoy this, and I am worthy of the successes that I've worked hard for. Yeah, I think, especially as.
Speaker 7: It's always so hard to hear her saying things about herself, because like I always like, I wish you could see yourself how I see you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, of course you're you're so great, Like what look at you?
Speaker 4: Like you've been confidence, you're beautiful, you're outgoing, you're tall.
Speaker 7: Every room you walk in, everyone gravitates to you, you say, every room that you're in, And I think it's I always want to read that into you, and just like, of course you're meant to be here, like you right now, what you're doing is legally And second, I believe you're moving the way you're moving like I'm shocked, insane, lights out like a.
Speaker 1: Lad, like the gym one of you, and like whatever moment you're in.
Speaker 4: Just know that you're meant to be there and like this is you are in your moment right now and so much It's gonna get so much better.
Speaker 1: Toss. I love you so much too. See people, what we're talking about. Get real friends. That's the problem. Support women, Get friends, mary Win, Okay, what this is going to be? What's one thing the younger version of you would be shocked to know about your life today? Maybe sorry, we're so good at coming up with questions. You had odd jobs and you came that one. You could be a professionalball player. That's that's a crazy thought, like I could do this for a living. That you would be in the point zero zero one percent of the sport. So I mean thank you whenever we first right out. I don't know about you guys, but I was laughably terrible. I was on the B team in middle school. I couldn't serve over the bar. Yes, in the middle crazy. It is middle ber It's so set up. That's why you know. Anyway, Oh gosh, I think yeah that she that she chose a path and it was super not linear, but then she persevered. Anyways, I think she would have been proud of the fact that I chose a hard pass sometimes on purpose. I think she would have proud that she gets to giggle and laugh every single day. Seriously, I think proud of her sense of style. Now me, I would love to I will. I will tell anybody that that is my if we go shopping, that is my love language. Let's go shopping ready and spend my money. Yes, do you want to spend money? Spend love money on close to pick up for me? Yeah, you can make them. Okay, what's one thing you still quote from Jared Elliott's practices? You still like? I still think it still in there. I think it's the middle. I think about this. I know, but back we don't have especially because we have nb as on our team. However, he would always he would have with us sometimes.
Speaker 5: Oh the court, there.
Speaker 1: Was barely grazing over the it was just going point credit card. No, but he would was like, here's a rich and so I always think of like my shots, like my shot book needs to be more because it's like I need to be able to use my arms saying but also my wrist. I think woman up. He always tells the woman and the man out there and sorry a bitch. Oh okay, yea. Honestly, if I had to be back to Texas when I was playing it to you guys, I'd be like, that's a tea. Yeah, I don't know, that's the very songs like that whole thing. And then after the game you had you were wearing like a what are like a striped and you were sitting in the stands of the hood just like this. I was like, and I saw this woman in a dark alley, I would not want to I was, I'm going to be her best friend. Let's be Bessie later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the last thing in Google?
Speaker 1: Honestly flights to California? But we don't we do excellent? What do you have? Actually? Hate hidden talent?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I always say I can do the worm right now? You really lived her up. And I love being in Texas. I learned how to dance from the But like you were doing the worm in the club or some time, you know, times be one at all the browntime you do like the slips in a bar in the last years. It's actually almost will always be there right leg were playing at Texas right now, say that or not? But we it was we got back to the game. I was Clebate Halloween, but we'd have costumes. What we did was we wore wore up.
Speaker 8: And we all had bought like a group of like we were like masks and we literally walked around on campus, which is like the nice part of like the campers were Lincoln and we were like hopping over cards.
Speaker 1: We were entering people's like random parties and what is it called a flash mob? Yeah, it was whenever the Purge came out, That's what it was.
Speaker 9: And all these tall girls with these masks on and we walked into Rand's houses an apartment and like line up like five six seven, and that would hit a move and then they was at the same move and.
Speaker 1: We was just and when we recorded, like hey we just leave and oh yeah, can you imagine? That was on TikTok and they're like tas volleyball team. We went in my room. Yeah all right, what's something you unlearned that made you a better athlete? I used to be obsessed with stats, and now I don't really look at them. I mean, yes, we're like okay, you know in the leader workop set like there I am, but after games, I am way less success I was. I was really going through in college, I was like, because year it would be like you have to get this certain amount to play, and I'd be like, okay, well I have to get this hitting percentage. And that made me like tense up and lock up. And now I'm like, did it feel good? I have a relationship with my setter? Do they need to be more for me? What's a story about your career that you never get asked about but wish people know? If you not want the story about my career your injury, want to oh yeah, you were there for that. So I played for another week and recently and I went through an injury and that was the first time in a long time that I experienced an injury. Like I've had some finger surgeries, but like other than that, like I've been pretty healthy.
Speaker 4: Something almost like out of control of everybody, you know, I mean, like, yeah, really figure out what was wrong, and like ortunally knew what we.
Speaker 1: Were feeling with you. And when I really experienced your experience with so not being injured and then being injured it nobody could figure out what it was. So my left leg outside of my left knee, I was just experiencing pain and I couldn't get off the ground. And while they're like all R, let's get them right, there was like normal things that are you know, like I should be functional. I shouldn't be like losing activation. And it took like give me the whole thing. Yes, I did the rest of the season because I could figure it out. The rest of the summer, I was on my own, just going to different like chiropractors and pps and being like, hey, can you help me? And then we finally figured out what it was. But it took like eight nine months. And so I had the L five S one here neated in my back and so I was hitting them and sending pain signals down my left leg. Yeah, nothing is activating because that nerve was just like so I finally got a corn zone shot in Austin and that helped so much. It was just inflamed that little ten spot. Hadn't that nerve crazy? It's crazy, like it's really that it hurts your back.
Speaker 4: Went back through the championship game in twenty twelve, and it was also sitting on that nerve like I thought that was going the literatly every time I said up and I'm really girl, this up bad?
Speaker 1: It was like, it was no, that's scarce. It was crazy. You got a woman up all right, last quick one which haven't been quick? Now? What quality value most anybody on that? Yeah, I don't know. Anyway, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, now to the beginning of time switching gear where Texas?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but we're got to go even more back. Okay, there we go. The season would never beat us. I know, I know, I know, I get it. Anyway, where did you grow up? You say? I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. Actually I moved to Texas where I was ten, I know. So we lived outside of Houston, another suburb, yep Age Town, and then I got a crewer to go to Texas. But I started playing volleyball at age thirteen club volleyball fourteenth year, and I begged my parents to stop take me to practice because I was so bad. I was like this, I'm embarrassed, I'm other things like I was decent at basketball, is decent swimming volleyball I was I far the worst at and my club coach was like, if you quit, like I will make you come to practice, like you will have to. I remember them saying you'll have to fry or out of my cool dead hands. And then I stuck with it, regrettingly, and so the drive. Yes. So my senior year, the club's in Houston were kind of all over the place like they were folding, and a lot of new clubs are happening. So the best club in Texas at the time was Austin Juniors, and so my parents it was their idea. Actually, they were like, what if we played for Austin Juniors senior y and we drove every Sunday for two and a half hours. Whoa, yeah, two days. So I played for Austin Junior nteans here, which is super cool because now we practiced at Austin.
Speaker 10: Juniors and your pictures up there, I know definite. Were you scared that you wouldn't figure it out? Did you start thinking about.
Speaker 1: What your future would look like you couldn't play again injury? Yeah? Oh, more odd jobs in your future may Surprisingly, No, I was so adamant of it, about being like, we're going to figure this out and I will play again, because I have already taken that route. So I was like, no, I'm sorry, that's not an option. I can't take that for an answer. I remember one of the doctors saying like, well, maybe it's time, like you're kind of old. Its it, I'm not that old. I know how to take care of my body. Like look at Lebron, we're the same, rightly exactly, you know what exactly. I was just like, well, maybe you can't figure it out and it's your problem exactly. I had no doubt in my mind. Of course, it felt like my body was betraying me for a second because I've been so healthy and like generally fit for a while. But then I was like, you know, a little depressing because I couldn't work out the way I wanted to, Like I couldn't run. I really really enjoy running, and like obviously can be around my people. So I was like, Okay, this star I don't love and obviously then you're a boy yourself a lot. So there were always a period that I was like, I know how, but it's not going to take away from the sport. Yeah, you can grind your way back. Yeah. It was always hard.
Speaker 4: That because like last season I was wearing like two knees please with a strap, and I just have one sleeve of one strap.
Speaker 1: I'm actually jumping higher than I. I feel stronger, so like your body can definitely thinke. You know, sometimes it's just telling you, O, hey, like I do you need rest? Yes, A lot of people said that, and at first I was like, stop saying that I don't want the rest, but like I actually didn't need it, And in perspective and understanding, I think I have a very good handle on what my body needs. Now. You know, you have to go through hard things to come out of it a better person. Yeah, retweet that. But also, I feel like you are playing your best volleyball right now. I was like, maybe you just need that, like recess reset you think. I don't think it was a great Also, connection was wasn't there? But like that he's the same, Like it's not honestly to Bruce. I don't even know Bruce, but yeah, I don't know these workout plans. Like I feel strong, like I feel empowered, I feel stable. We came to the tournament we're playing in.
Speaker 4: We were training with our conditioning coach from what Altin and Bruce he's Likenown from Texas.
Speaker 1: He also coached I think a little bit NFL football sometimes Yeah, NFL a bunch of track athletes, so he knows this stuff and like that's training with him. Like my I'm wearing one I've been wearing the past like eighty years, which is crazy. So and Mollie is looking like an Olympic triathletes Olympics.
Speaker 4: Could you looking like you know? But she's she's crushing. Well, it's insane, it's insane. Do you feel like going through.
Speaker 10: The injury helped you appreciate your body more and I'll help you enjoy playing more?
Speaker 1: Oh? For sure, for sure, for sure you know that, Like especially as we age too, like the limit does not exist. I always think of that, like I can get so strong and like, let's see how how fit I can be, how healthy I can be. Let's see, like if my mobility is off, let's see if I can tweak that. Like there's never a like, oh, this doesn't work anywhere. I'm done. Like, your body is actually so malleable, and how you treat it is how how much you get out of the sport and your body. Truly.
Speaker 10: You know, in college, I used to eat every day and I don't do that right, and now you're flying, so there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly, take care.
Speaker 4: Of your body, take care of your body, and I heard like, take care of your body, get the toyst too, Yeah about it?
Speaker 1: And we go out, what the one is good? I'm okay, back to the youth.
Speaker 10: What was it about Budel that like you did eventually, like once you figured out that you liked it.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of the same thing, like I'm so bad at it and at first I was embarrassed. There was a lot of shame of like I don't know how bad I am, and I think that stuck with me even throughout college, just like the volleyball is again mistakes that for many therapy sessions I wear this, but also this head of that is it's almost that I can't figure it out. So I'm going to try my best to figure it out. And that's what made me be like I just want to, like a lot, I want to figure out. Everybody talks about like you have so much potential, Like we've all heard that you have potential, and I was like, what is the potential? What do you mean? Let's figure it out? And so I think I fell in love with the figuring it out? Yeah, why did you figure out that you were good? I've been honestly when Jared was on my court and I was like, this is interesting, that's crazy. Like I was looking at you know, I you Indiana and like Florida was a big one at the time. But then like when Texas was like, oh, we think you're my sophomrey in high school and I was like, oh, okay, you think that. Yeah, I looked.
Speaker 6: I was like surely tall right like you, just because I'm tall. But and then.
Speaker 1: I think this is constantly feeling like I was, is a feeling of being surrounded by players, everybody. And that's why I changed, because I knew that everything I got the opportunity to learn and get better. And so I think that has then told me and I'm good enough to be in those spaces. I think also.
Speaker 8: Especially in process, like oh, you come here, we're going to start to you're gonna be back.
Speaker 4: But like going to forty Acres and being these amazing athletes here, it's like you can like cool, but.
Speaker 1: I can't guarantee you that I'm gonna to come in here and work hard. What's that great for you? Come in here, you are going to get better. And that's what I was acting as well, that like I wanted to see how much that I could be around one more experience than I was and a high level me. Yeah. Sure, yeah, it's just such a thought after program. To be a part of that is huge. Okay.
Speaker 5: What something about Molly that you know that would surprise people? You have thatch a big heart, I think, and I think people really seeing you as like this is your very business woman like, very like street, your business like character.
Speaker 4: But like your heart is so ut and you love so that's why you don't think here that take care of your heart.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's so precious. And I can say honestly, like you're kind of close in the past, like you're gonna have to be years and like I can see that.
Speaker 4: Just growing even more and you're being more comfable and allowing yourself to love people and.
Speaker 1: Feelings and your emotions. And I'm just been really annoying to be able to you.
Speaker 4: On a person wove that way, like You've shared some really meaningful things with me, and like I love you so much, like like my thing, I love you. You know how much I love you, you know? And also if I want to she is hilarious, Okay, Okay, Her humors like kind of dark but if you've met me hilarious.
Speaker 1: Adversity, you're gonna be hilarious hilarious loyalty. Actually, so yeah, I don't feel a couch.
Speaker 5: Okay, one another question here says for me. Do you remember the first time you met Mollie? And the first time I remember not I don't think we met, but it was at the All American banquet our senior year, so you were a junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just remember you like you're a human being.
Speaker 5: It just like takes up space and you have such a presence in a room and I was just like, holy shit, engage and I was like wow.
Speaker 4: Like these Texas girls, I'm just not like them. And it was just a really cool moment because like you were like a celebrity in my that.
Speaker 1: We carry that too, you know, like everyone says, I love that. Yeah, it is a cool thing and like a little chip on your shoulders all of you Texas girlies. But like it carries late, you know. Okay, I'm crazy. Yeah, let's just turn the table. What was Kat like in college? Oh my god, Oh my god. Okay, okay, I was before we started. Day changed. I have grown.
Speaker 4: Funny because cat and.
Speaker 1: Is relationship has blossomed over the past couple of years, and I almost regret not seeing more of Cat because I know that you had this in you in college and I'm almost like, man, we just put aside because they're very different people, and that's okay. I think we struggled with accepting our differences. Is still recognizing that we're compatible, you know. And but Kat is the sunshine in every single room, Like she is such a leader, She's so personable. Every seaman is like, what's that doing? Like she's always been such a magnet always really and I think that you you also have a giant heart and you you share that with everybody, and that part I was like, I'm just fortunate to be the person that receives that kind of love. Even whenever we knew that we were different, as how you always took care of me regardless.
Speaker 4: That was funny, is like I talk to people sometimes you didn't always say like, no, you're more close now, Like did you'll not get along in college?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even say that. I no, Like I can think back.
Speaker 4: To moments that like we did have conversations and we did connect and we did bond and that kind of stuff too.
Speaker 1: I think also like me and mother put a stay position at the time, she wants to say beef or like not nicely, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 11: So freshman year, I was sharing a room with Nicole Halton and I had a poster of my favorite artist ever any One House r I p WAT Artists R P RIP.
Speaker 1: But she's one of my all time faves, and I thought, all he wasn't with her. Molly like loved her, and it was a little bit too much. She was like okay, like okay, like okay, Bruney's beers. You know I'm saying she really did. It was a lot She's thinking about some deep stuff. Yeah, you know, it was a lot of soul. Anyways, I was going through some things and I had, you know, a step dollar poster from Walmart hung up on my wall in my dorm, and what were we even fighting about? You just came in And cats are a person like te these people and like kind of pushes them to like be going to react, and I, at that ripe age of eighteen, was not ready to be teased like that.
Speaker 4: She came in, and I know how much like Molly loves She's like, don't touch the poster like whatever whatever, Like it's one of those like don't touch my poster like it's.
Speaker 1: One of those kind of things. And I was like, oh, don't dutch it. I'm going to rip it off your wall, off the wall, the wall corner. You see that wall. You probably were taking the corner and looking at her in the eyes and you're like, I tore the smallest piece.
Speaker 3: And I definitely was like like Dennis, and then it was like like, yeah I did.
Speaker 1: I felt that too, yeah, yeah, And then she's my position to have already a little scared of her. When did you switch to ling opposite though? Senior year?
Speaker 4: And even with that, I felt like we were competitive in that too, because also wanted to play the opposite but but.
Speaker 1: You yeah, so then we was Pauline there yet or not? She wasn't there yet later junior year because I play opposite only my senior year. Okay, maybe yeah, she wasn't.
Speaker 4: Whenever it was it was only me and you kind of seeing we're gonna play opposite, and then when Paulina came in and kind of like.
Speaker 1: Made it, it was almost like a six to when Polina came in. Eventually, you know what because he always wanted to play Sarah Hattas. I'm not kidding. I'm not kidding, but for what she probably had a good Yeah, we have the Olympian on our team.
Speaker 4: I don't know which was crazy, but yeah, we so really opposite my senior year and it was most funny.
Speaker 1: It is like me and which hat and I'm liking myself. I'm like, yeah, I don't want to run slide anymore. I don't want to block everywhere. I'm like, you got it, ain't no way eating in this and that's the chance to just stay in one area. I'm gonna stay right here. So that's what when she's going out every single day like.
Speaker 4: Back robots, play outside like my first two years, my first year, this all right, now we're going to.
Speaker 1: Go post collegiate. Okay, was on pro? Did you know you wanted to play pro? No? Absolutely not. How did that come about? Nothing else? Do? How did you did you know people that had played pro though at that time? Yeah? Okay, yeah I had my teammates yeah yeah, And I was like, yo, what is it like? Like, how do I do this? I felt like the roadmap to playing pro was so ambiguous and nobody was like like I could ask for more players, but like everybody's path is so different. We signed with different agents, and I was like, should I just do exactly my teammates? Dude, like what's master for me? And everybody was like figure out on your own and I was. And then it was like, okay, I'm a middle I'm not earning, you know, opposite money, which is another reason I want to play out, but you know, and I was like, I don't know if this is worth it. It's not a big paycheck, Like should I just go work at Freeola and like it's mental device sales like every other athlete that graduates, Like I couldn't figure out what to do. And it was actually I member my sister. I was talking I just signed with an agent, sat on my sister and I was like this kind of seems lame, like it's not a big paycheck. And then I I live in Germany. I don't know if I want to be away from home that long. And she was like, you get to be a pro athlete, like maybe you should give that a shot and if you hate it, yeah, but like how many people can say they get to be pro athletes? I was like, Okay, fine, you're right, but it was never like I got to be professional, like I got to take this to the next level. I was like, sure, I guess I.
Speaker 4: Was almost decision that happened towards the end, so you don't really think about it like in the season. I.
Speaker 1: Once I finished, I was like, I don't really know where.
Speaker 4: To go here, and you're like agree in draft, I'm like, that sounds I guess the showcase myself.
Speaker 1: That's what I can do. I'm sayings down on me like it was crazy anyways. Yeah, yeah, it was kind of as you guys know, you kind of figure out your own I was like, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know if I want to do that. It's the most wacky way to get a job. You have to from big schools where like people have gone on and played. You're like, okay, I could contact this person. Like for me, I think I know two people that I played BRO, So I was like, what do I even do? So it's it's crazy that we got here ended up here. Thank goodness they put a league in the US. Okay, where did you play?
Speaker 1: BRO? You went to Germany first, I went to Wiesbaden, Germany, and then I went to Stuttgart. For two years and then I was like, hey, actually i think I'm done. So just Germany, did you pick up any German? Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, I could get around. I think I hear you saying a bad word in German.
Speaker 4: You have a like, was the transition from college to pro they jump for you or were you like this is easy?
Speaker 1: Yes, and that they expected more from me. I will say at Texas there were times that I was like, You're just a middle blocker. And then I got to Europe and they were like, no, you have to be a volleyball player and do all of the other skills, and I was like, I don't know what set so so they expected a lot from me. Of course, the game is like a little bit more powerful, a little quicker. I'd say, like on my team in v spot In, I think we were we were kind of low level of the league in Germany. That Germany is like a decent league, you know, like the top couple of teams learn Champions League, but like the lower level. It's like I felt like I was one of the better ones on my team. That being said, I had a really really great coach, and then playing against the teams that were in Champions League. I was like, oh, I have a giant learning curve here, Like I just wasn't reading well at all.
Speaker 4: Would you say that, like the very important students to go overseas and get that learning go to that learning curve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, it's so important. I still encourage college athletes once they graduate overseas first, and of course these leagues are amazing. I will not go overseas now, like I have a great life. But being a foreigner is one thing. Learning a different style of the game is another. Just being out of your comfort zone and learning from people that you never would have paths I don't know, and different people from all over the world. I just think that, like, it's good for you as a human being and also a volleyball player to go overseas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get adversity on all fronts, the volleyball front, the human front, the traveling front.
Speaker 1: How do I turn myself on another country front?
Speaker 4: Like, oh, there's just so many little pieces of it where you're like, Okay, I have to figure all these things out on my own.
Speaker 1: And you grew up instead of people having to do it for me. Yeah, And at Texas they did everything for us. Everything I was like, wait, I have to, like I'm on vitamin's now and learn how to learn how to take care of my body. Yeah, wild, Yeah, How do you think volleyball has shaped you as a person? Oh god, It's been everything. That's why I'm playing for the Women's Sports Foundation. I think that girls who play sports are women who lead. And I wouldn't be the person I am today without volleyball and being around strong women all of the time. How many other jobs get to do that? Like this is I am constantly empowered. I know my worth. I know that I can show up in space as and be a leader like I wouldn't have been able to develop that kind of confidence. But I didn't play a lot of ball in mins, I don't think. Yeah, and like having a cat bell in everyone? No, really truly? All right, let's switch a little bit of gears outside of volleyball. You're a multi faceted person.
Speaker 4: You advocate for sustainable fashion and intersectional environmentalism.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do drop drop some knowledge because that those words were crazy. Oh yeah, I you know, fashion is a pretty giant polluter on this so behind it's Oily g Acid's fashion actually, and there's a literal fashion island in the middle of the ocean of like our waste, Like we're just so obsessed with fast fashion as a society, so I thrift as oft as modify, also signing that drifting is like fits me better as a tall woman last longer because it was stuilt in a time that they didn't have fast fashion and is cooler. So I try to thrift as often as possible. It's not dealable all of the time, especially with like sports care and stuff, but it's something that I want to be conscious of. And intersexual environmentalism it means that it cross acrosses different organizations. So it's not just fashion, but it's like the way people you know consume like their local produce. Like there's so many things that like intersect as humans in society. Like if we are just a good global citizen, we know that we're affecting like our neighbors, our communities. Like it's just more about awareness and like you know, where am I getting this produce? Where am I shopping for this? Like being a good consumer and understanding that if your purchases affect others is a huge passion the world be a better places. We have as president, why is it important to you to use your platform as an athlete for good. I think it's quite vulnerable. Sometimes it's not always easy. I think it's sometimes kind of painful to be like, well, this is my story and you guys are going to dissect it and give your opinions about me and I am, but I find it so fulfilling knowing that I can help somebody. You know. It's funny. Coaching just keeps coming up with my life too, and I'm like, I don't know if I want to coach, but like being somebody's mentor even like, you know, there are.
Speaker 4: Young middles that are playing in this league and they're like, you know, how did you learn how to take care of your body?
Speaker 1: How did you get you know, how are you playing? How are you jumping well at age thirty one? Or how do you read blocks so well? Which are wonderful compliments that I'm like, it's crazy you think I'm doing these things well because I'm also in my head of like sometimes I'm not. I want to be perfect and I'm not, and that's it's not here nor there. Okay, that's okay, But the fact that like I get to help somebody and using my platform to do that. Like, I think that that is the most fulfilling thing for me. It's a privilege to have this stage. As you guys know it was. It's funny that sports allow you to do that. Like, it's not many jobs that you can be so good at your your job and that people following regardless. But I think, especially with women's lleyball, we are incredible role models. Almost no all of my teammates. I mean, I'm like, you're you are such a role model. You're also hilarious, You're also like beautiful. There's so many things that like women's while I'm like, yes, the youth should follow us. I don't know. We just like know how to work hard, Like we know that we know how to be teammates who know how to lead. Like, I think that the platform should be ours and that's the fint I want to keep hiding. We're taking it over. Yeah, come for that freaking platform. Yeah all right.
Speaker 4: Fashion questions What do you love about fashion and how does it help you express yourself?
Speaker 1: I love playing dress up and putting on different hats and feeling you know, beautiful different ways, or feeling myself in different ways because we all have different sides of us. And I think that fashion is you're able to express herself in so many different ways. I gained so much confidence through the clothes that I wear and the things that I pick out. I also gained so much fulfillment styling people and so like Danny Durms came to my room and was like, hey, silently for this photo shoot, and I was like, for sure, I have all of these things that I know are going to look great on you, and I made her try them on and I could tell that she was like, I'm not comfortable in this, and I was like totally like that's fine, you look amazing, and that's yes, I should tell her that, but I also want her to feel comfortable. So then like learning the person through fashion is also really cool for me to see of like what are you comfortable wearing? What makes you feel powerful? Like I think fashion is such a cool platform into building confidence in women.
Speaker 5: What would you say, Sorry, somebody who's like doing a new a new wearing something new, a new piece of fashion that's like maybe not in their normal.
Speaker 1: Style and they just want to try it, and you're like you should just go for it or like absolutely go for it. Yeah, at the end of the day, it's new. Who matters. I'm just like, like I used to be so hung up of like being a tall woman and like sleeves every being long enough, you know, And now I'm like, I don't know if I care anymore, like my risk a cold, which they're never cold in Austin, But like, I just am going to wear something because I want to wear it and I know that it makes me feel cool. So if it makes you feel often and you bought it with your own money, what would be your advice for, like, like someone who's building a new cloth called clothes, what like the basics you think that someone should have when they're building up from the ground up. Yes, I'm a big like jeans girl. I think I have over thirty pairs of genes. That's actually kind of a problem finding a pair of jeans that feel you, that are comfortable that you can always be like, Okay, if I put these on, I feel the most to me. I would say jackets. They're great for layerry. You can find like a denim or a leather jacket. Every time I wore my leather jacket, I get comments you wore my leather jacket and you also look great man, and like, I don't know, I just feel like a leather jacket is like a statement piece and but it's easy to find and like especially drifting, and then all the basics. You know, sometimes it's surprising that I'll put on an outfit and people like I am obsessed with them, like really it's like a tank and pants and about I don't know, how do you choose your walk in outfits? For love?
Speaker 4: And then like do you style other people too? Or we actually we like calling so this stings passed me. Tiaka and Malli like always want to dress up together and we're like calling each other. But eventually we came like themes like okay, we're going to go business and like new sow is the way you want to do business style? Yeah, guys, I like for fun, I play dress up. Yeah, by myself.
Speaker 1: I put on a good playlist, and I know I'm not kidding. I just go through my entire closet and just start putting up its together. I take pictures of them, so I have like logs of all my outfits. And then yeah, no, yeah, everybody every woman should do every person on the Star. I would want to do that. But like the method of cleaning I'm putting the clothes back is what I don't want to do. Yeah, I try it on and hand that up. Yeah, but like that is my like therapy, that's my favorite thing to do. And then I'll make lists of things that I wish I could add to it. So I'm like heavily on Pinterest and like I have like a wish list and like it would be great to add this purst to this habit, and then I'll be a noish list and then it's my goals of like I want this bonus to my this curse. Okay o good? Yeah, So do like love that we get to do the tunnel walk ins and everything, similar to like w NBA so much life. I'm not kidding the five seconds that we get it, we're so adding about it.
Speaker 4: Like for the photographers, if we're not getting the pictures we're looking for, we started taking our own pictures of our.
Speaker 1: Own phone, yes, to make sure we.
Speaker 4: Got to know.
Speaker 1: I love whenever people who are not comfortable doing walkins, but they try it and they also feel powered and they're like, oh I get to like show up to a game in a way that like builds up my confidence and I don't know, I just encourage people. It might not be your thing, but like try it once and like it just kind of feels great and gurly pop to be taken photos of and like in your outfit that you that you chose, like, I just I love it. I love the concept. Do you have outfits in the works for next season already? Yeah? You do, Like we won what you're gonna Do you have a huge closet? Yeah, yeah, I have a lot of clothes Fashion Island actually in your closet? Yeah? Actually yes. How do you clean your closet?
Speaker 4: You can close it every every summer. Do you like Good Steed Go Away? Like you guys, I'm not to go through a.
Speaker 1: Giant purge because the past over and a half, you know, I think I'm gonna make it a series. The past year and a half, all of my stuff is then storage, so I live out of like two three suitcases at a time. I knews newly, so I rent clothes sometimes it helps us, Like Stephen pieces for like the walk Ins, I'll like rent the piece and then return it. They have an option to buy. I have a lot a few things, but yeah, so I'm going to unpack my entire storage unit whenever I get back to Austin in a couple of days and have to go through all of that, so I'll come over. That sounds really exciting. Okay, speaking of going back to Austin, season two is coming up. We're there so soon. What are you looking forward to this season specifically? I am very much looking forward to being with my friends. I'll we have up. That was crazy. I love Austin. I love Austin so much. I love the fact that I get to play Austin Juniors and see those people from from whenever I was in high school.
Speaker 4: Being back, Like it's a moment for you, Like, how is it like you're enjoying a lot more than you enjoy when you're in school thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, because like I know that I am always taking care of in every regard if I need anything, I have people. I think that's what's so great about Austin and where I felt like, especially whenever I got injured, I didn't feel like people had my back and I was like, I'm the only one advocating for myself right now, and it made me learn that. But in Austin, I our network is huge. We have great medical connections, Like we have friends outside of volleyball. Like I just feel like I have a whole complete life in Austin and my job isn't defining me. Yeah yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So then also you were with the national team this summer and now you have Eric Commedy, you have Tayubadummy Rol Brownie coming.
Speaker 1: Tell yourself, it's just we've translated everybody and putting them in Love Austin. Yeah, it's really cool and another full circle moment having Eric. So Eric was our coach, our assistant coach at Texas and now the dash team head coach and then also the Love Austin coach. And it's really cool because I Eric is like a dear friend of mine and so having him be my coach again, and I I mean, throughout my pro career, I've attributed a lot of my like locking to Eric, like the MBU. Yes, yeah, a lot of things like this crazy Yeah well you said, so I SuDS like this is one. It's so hard it oh for sure for sure. Yeah. Anyways, No, it's really cool. I this just the fact I felt like the summer flew by, So I'm really really excited to keep learning from that coaching staff. Obviously they all have camaraderie, so like just the blend of like Texas people and national team. Like I think that, like it's like a built in connection that we get to have. Yeah, that's actually really awesome. Yeah, sorry, whatever, we have a good team too. He's a great team. Else. You guys have some new people this year, right, you are excited about you know, Magdalena Yersick the Polish medal. I'm a big fan of hers. I think that she yeah, yeah, watching her play this summer. She is super fast. I love how patient she is as a middle blocker. Like, I just I admire she's not like super undersized, but she's a little undersized as a middle and I just admire undersized middle It's like, you know how hard they have to work to its already her job. Yes, I don't know how yet. Yeah, I know I'm gonna be obsessed with her. We're adding another longhorn Berg Mark. Yeah, MBU is everyone on your team from MBU, every middle except for Okay. Yeah, I don't know if i'm saying your name, right, I'm so sorry if I'm saying that. Ologies girl. Yeah, but I'm excited to meet you, Okay, why do you think volleyball is getting more popular? I think it's fine getting its flowers, you know. I think that participation in the sport is growing on all sides. The youth level. It's to pass youth basketball recently, let's go finally less concussions, and also adult participation so adults such are fun, Like, it's a huge, massive sport indoor, beach, grass like. I just think that there's a lot of relatability that's finally happening in the US, and it's surpassing basketball, it's passing other teams sports, and that like such a fun sport to play, but also a really fun sport to watch and be part of. I also think the community is amazing, like experiencing and I don't want to trap other sports, but I'm like experiencing other sports and like that we are so special. I'm not kidding. There's like bruin upon the like the volleyball world is just full of really great people. What do you think it is that makes volleyble so unique? It is, to its core a team sport. You can't have somebody like in basketball. You can have a player like take up take over the whole entire game. But like track, it's like just that, just that athlete, the porcer's relays. But like, volleyball is such a team sport, And then I think that because it's such a team sport, everybody has to be a team player and therefore likable.
Speaker 4: Every way, Like you don't get the set, you need less to get the past you need, You don't get the attacking lets you get to set you need, and if you get to set, you need to get a ball and you get blocked, you get that everyone covering for you.
Speaker 1: Everyone has to be takes the whole village. Yeah, you have to be selfless, and the coolest people are selfless, Yes, totally, yes, Okay, Well, and where do you think volleyball is going to be in like the next decade? Gosh, I see volleyball just being the sport that people are excited to go watch and be a part of. I think that the past couple of years that like how profitable women's sports are because they are different than men's sports, Like it's not that we're comparing at all, and volleyball is actually a really special space and that like we don't have the men paving the path for us. Mother yeah, and that is so cool because I think we're we're still kind of forming our identity and like what does that look like? And it is different from all of the other sports. It's it's different from men's sports, but I I really want to see it in a way that like is inspiring. It's taking over brand partnerships, and it's on ESPN regularly, Like I just think it needs to be more accessible. And once we make it accessible, it's like, of course you're going to fall in love. You're going to fall in love with the players are going to fall in love with the game, Like how fast it is, how physical we are, Like there's just so many things about the sport that I'm like, how would you not love it? Like truly, we are jumping so high, we're all so graceful, we're all so strong, Like we're also strategic, Like there's so many this we're also beautiful, Like we're also jumping high. Product she's something super high. Like I remember so whenever we you know, first came first volleyball professionalllyball in the US, And I have some basketball friends that were like, oh my god, you guys are like crazy athletic and like you never you're so humble about it, and I'm like, yeah, I know, that's crazy. I mean, I'm teoting around horn like hard right now, I'm not for real, like we are kind of super human. I don't know. Yeah, there's a lot of super human volleyball players. It's pretty impressive. The fans are saying, oh, why are you have a women's league man's league, because some do it better. Hey, okay, put on the shirt. I will say. I love I love men's follyball. I learned a lot from men's allyball. So working at Pepperdine for that one year, I I door men's alliball in the way that they're all super grateful. We'll be there. I don't know if it was just a Pepperdine thing or a men's volleyball thing, but I was like, why are you guys so happy all the time? But a hormone is colorship, scholarship so and or they get cut from programs, so they're just like yeah, and they don't have a professional league here, but they like just sattle that still play and it's it's a different game. But I felt like I learned a lot because it's a different game. And I was like Oh that's how they gott how you hit it like? I can do that too? But am I happy that women fall all gets to pay the way? Yes? Agreed. Wow, this has just been really great episode. Yeah all right, this has been Serving Pancakes. I'm Maddie Kingdon. I'm on the cage. We'll get you on the flip side.
Speaker 4: Thanks for watching Serving Pancakes.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to hit the subscribe and like button.
Speaker 4: You can also listen to podcasts on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 3: See you on the flip side.