Speaker 1: Summertime and Georgia. I'm not I've been in Georgia since I was twelve, and I'll tell you the two things I like least in this world are humidity and boiled peanuts. So I don't know what I'm doing here for so long.
Speaker 2: The first one is, you know, every man for himself, but boiled peanuts are good. You need to get your shit together.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll say I will say this for boiled peanuts and the people who love them out there. I can totally understand if you like boiled peanuts. If you're someone who would take, you know, a box from Amazon, soak it in some hot water, add a little bit of sea water for that salt. Actually not seawater, because that's too much flavor. Just salty, just salty, soggy cardboard.
Speaker 2: Whatever. Man, how you have the cage in style like there's flavored a boiled peanut.
Speaker 1: Sure, but your base is still something that is known for its crunchiness. You know what, We're made soggy?
Speaker 2: Where can we fight? Everyone?
Speaker 1: Give it the first big ridiculous romance fight to have a fight about on air right here. I'm ready. I'm not going to give in on this one.
Speaker 2: Well, at least it's something that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Well, some would say that it does. There's certain circles in which I will not express that opinion.
Speaker 2: Very true, you could get harmed physically.
Speaker 1: It's tough, you know.
Speaker 2: I think the boiled peanuts were a natural evolution of the humidity problem. Everything is just a little wet, so you have to get used to liking it that way and in fact make it a virtue.
Speaker 1: Let's lean into the fact that everything's a little hot and soggy around here and do it with nuts.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's better than complaining about it. Twenty four to seven, which make it? Are you talking about hot and wet?
Speaker 1: Who would do that? Well, summertime in Georgia, you know, we're we're making it. It's all right. We've got a roof over our heads, our air conditioning kind of works, and we've we've we've been in a worse situations, so we're doing all right. We're just sweating a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, hopefully same to y'all. Just a little sweat, but nothing, nothing too bad.
Speaker 1: The problem is when we start recording, obviously we have to turn off all the fans and the AC and everything for sound purposes. So you know, being a podcaster, it's a tough life. It's pretty that the conditions in which we work, I would say, not far off from like miners, oh wow, or.
Speaker 2: Soldiers yeah, very trench like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh very much. So I would say.
Speaker 2: They're going to write an ode to us any day.
Speaker 1: Now, hang on, the third pillow under my ass is a little crooked, so let me just okay, I've got it.
Speaker 2: That third pillows really giving me that trench.
Speaker 1: But just like coal miners, it's my point. So hey everybody, Hey, welcome back to the show. So excited to have you as always. Yeah, yeah, you're right as I am always excited to have you.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's not like specific to this episode.
Speaker 2: No, it's just very exciting. Yeah, people listening to any word you say.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. If you told anytime she told sixteen year old me that people are just going to shut up and listen to you talk for an hour, oh my god, I'd be like, yeah, but do I have to share the mic with anybody?
Speaker 2: Wow? Sixteen year old you?
Speaker 1: You'd be like yeah, but yeah. He'd be like yeah, but she's hot. Oh and he'd be like all right.
Speaker 2: So we're ringing endorsement sixteen year old.
Speaker 1: He didn't understand. He didn't know it works out.
Speaker 2: He didn't know me yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he did not. He was dreaming of you.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm your dream girl.
Speaker 1: Look there's you know that. My dreams have a lot of girls, but you are the standout character.
Speaker 2: Oh. Thanks, I guess I'll take that. Speaking of a lot of girls.
Speaker 1: Speaking a lot of girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got we got our subject today also dreamed of many women. Yeah, we're finally getting to this. We got real sidetracked off this topic right to tell you about Isaac Singer and his multiple families in New York, his like four or five families, then million children.
Speaker 1: We were gonna tell the Winneretta Singer story, and then you found her father, Isaac Singer, the creator of the Singer Sewing Machine. Check that episode out if you hadn't heard it yet, because it's a great predecessor.
Speaker 2: Who really is. But now it is time to get to our listener. Suggestion from Seth bats at Seth Sculptures on ig of Winoretta Singer. This was Isaac's twentieth child that he had with his second actual real wife that he actually married, Isabella boy year and Whinneretta had two case marriages and multiple lesbian love affairs, besides using her fortune to fund and commission work from like now iconic musicians, painters, and writers. Wow, they wouldn't have been anything without her.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so let's get.
Speaker 2: Into Winnaretta singer who is also known as the Princess.
Speaker 1: Let's go hey, their friends come listen.
Speaker 3: Well, Eli and Diana got some stories to tell. There's no matchmaking, a romantic tips. It's just about ridiculous relations ship, a love. There might be any type of person at all, an abstract concept or a concrete wall. But if there's a story where the second glance ridiculous romance.
Speaker 1: A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Before we get into this, I think this is relevant. There's just this conversation on in like the theater world about whether or not because somebody just got an Egot designation, Yeah, which is the Emmy, Grammy Oscar designation. They won the Tony just because they funded a Broadway show. We're not in it or designed it in any way or creatively in control at all. Right, they just funded it. So people are questioning whether or not that counts because they're like Oh, you did was pay for it, so.
Speaker 1: You didn't really you're not a creator.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, if there's no money, there's no project, right, So there was kind of a big debate about that, and I think that's very relevant to Winneretta's story.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this funder had any input during the show, but they at least had the mind an impulse to say this is the one, this will work. I'm choosing this show over others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if there is something to be said for the eye of that's good, even if nobody else sees it. There's something there that I think will hit with people whatever reason. So I don't know. That's just something I've I've been thinking about a lot since researching Wineretta.
Speaker 1: Since she is a money person for the arts. I will say that if we really want to dig into this debate, I am willing for a wealthy producer to come in and fund some of our projects and we will come back to you all and give a full report as to whether or not they deserve, you know, any sort of recognition for that, and I'll tell you right now they do. So if you have a bunch of money and want some recognition for anything we do. You know, shoot us an email. That's right, We're ready for you.
Speaker 2: At gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thanks to iHeartRadio for this one so far.
Speaker 2: Huh. But we're open to other sponsors.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot more projects ready to go and the only thing we're missing is the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need a win Aretta of our own. So win Aretta Singer was born in Yonkers, New York in eighteen sixty five. Now, after the Civil War ended, the Singer family moved to Paris until the outbreak of the Franco Prussian War in eighteen seventy and then they moved to Devonshire and Isaac bought the giant Old Way mansion and he built the Wigwam on that estate. That's that building with like the fully equipped theater where he had the full circus come through and all that stuff that we kind of talked about in the Isaac Singer episode. But that is where Winneretta kind of grew up for the first part of her life. Okay, pretty dope place for a kid to grow up. Then, in eighteen seventy five, Isaac Singer died and we told you then too that his second wife Isabella Boyere remarried to a Dutch virtuoso violinist named Victor Rupsat in eighteen seventy nine. Okay, now, this guy was the son of a shoemaker, but he pretended to be nobility to help him get gigs, basically a con man for music gigs. But his fake nobility became real in eighteen eighty one when he was gifted the title of Duc.
Speaker 1: De Campos els Now using Isabella's money, which of course she inherited when Isaac died. All that singer sower money. Victor collected rare stringed instruments, including this one called Vitomps Guarini Jasu, which is built in seventeen forty one and it's considered to be one of the finest violins ever made. I'm so fascinated by these individual instruments having names. It's like it's like fantasy character swords. Yeah, you know, Oh, this is Sting, this is gleam Dring, this is the sar Jess. That's so cool that this one thing, you know, you could track its movements around the world. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever seen the red violin?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, but I remember that I.
Speaker 2: Think it's about a stratavarius. It it's also like it's the other best instrument ever is that one violin? But it's so funny to think about how these fine instruments they're so good that you can't play them, Like you're not supposed to ever touch that.
Speaker 1: I ever play that.
Speaker 2: But they are apparently like sound amazing.
Speaker 1: So I'm like like putting plastic on your furniture, like exactly, if you keep it, you're you're eliminating its purpose by keeping it pristine, you.
Speaker 2: Keep all your action figures in the box. Come on, I gotta play game.
Speaker 1: Well, this particular violin is now also one of the most expensive instruments in the world. It was last sold to an anonymous bidder for sixteen million dollars. I gotta say it's smart to say anonymous, because I got a problem with you if you dropped sixteen million on one violin but you can't even touch Come.
Speaker 2: On, apparently it's gifted to like this top violin player for her use for the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, why they bought it?
Speaker 2: I guess I would be like, damn, I must be a violinist. They want me to play this or at least hold onto it, because I don't think she's allowed to play it.
Speaker 1: Victor and Isabella they turned the grand salon of their Parisian mansion into a musical salon, and some of the best musicians of the day would come over and put on concerts right there and there. They used to have those living room concerts, you know, sixteen to thirty people would come in and sit down with their little fans and golf clap for the most beautiful music probably anyone's ever heard in Western culture. Now. Winneretta, of course, Isabella's daughter, the last daughter of Isabella and Isaac Singer. She never received a formal music education, but she was passionate about music, and she attended most of the concerts that her mom and stepdad held in this musical salon. And for her thirteenth birthday, she requested a performance of Beethoven's Opus one thirty one string Quartet as a gift. And that, my friends, is the gift of a child of privilege. Okay, I was like thirteen, Like when I was thirteen, I wanted a forty five dollars Lego set, and that was asked a you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, she already had a pony.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people point this out as like showing like what a musical mind she really had, because I guess the Opus one thirty one, or all of Beethoven's later work at the time was considered kind of incomprehensible. So like the average listener like they were like, this is complicated and artistic. Oh wow, So it was like a sign of what a great year she had that she liked. This was her favorite quartet and I really liked it.
Speaker 1: Or she was a show off and with music nerd and she's like, actually I like Beethoven's later's Probably she's like a lot of people think it's too complicated, but I prefer it.
Speaker 2: Oh you like O to joya cute So a fair weather fan, that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing, fair Weather Beethoven.
Speaker 2: Hey, they all had their heyday, but all was not well in the roops at home. Oh no, Because many sources refer to Victor's quote unquote violent behavior. Oh though not many details are given, so unclear if you just was like someone who shouted a lot, if he actually hit people, if there was any kind of sexual element, no, no, no details, just that he was kind of a violent man. But it seems safe to say that Winneretta suffered some kind of abuse in this household, because as soon as she came of age at twenty one years old and was able to control her inheritance, she took her money and ran. Yeah, she got the buck out of there. Unfortunately, she could run as far as she wanted because Isaac Singer left her a little over nine hundred thousand dollars, which is hers from here twenty four point eight million dollars today. Geez, she couldn't really go anywhere she wanted.
Speaker 1: I'd be happy enough if I had nine hundred thousand dollars already, but it's actually work twenty five times that.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Manipulation's a bitch, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Well, look these rich teenage girls with their Beethoven quartets on their birthdays and then just oh, here's twenty five million dollars. Geez.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, but even a woman of privilege had a limited life at this time. Whenneretta went to Paris, she set herself up. She bought this large hotel to live in, but she knew there was not really a place in society for an unmarried woman. Okay, she's just the maid, right, nobody wants her around, right, right.
Speaker 1: And she also.
Speaker 2: Didn't want just any old place in society. We're talking about a privileged woman here. She wanted to be part of the aristocratic society of arts. And that's kind of one thing that your money cannot buy you unless you, you know, give a large sum to the king or something like that. But you know, that's kind of an inherited thing. So she said, what do I gotta do? What do I get it? Marriage boom, the solution to so many problems in the ridiculous Romance universe. And so Whenneretta accepted the very first man to ask her to marry him, and that was a prince named Louis Vilfred d'escay mont Belliard.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, lot of name. Yeah, he's got enough names that you.
Speaker 2: Know he's can borrow one of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But on their wedding night, according to Sylvia Kahan's biography of Winneretta, which is called Music's Modern Muse, this guy entered his bride's bedroom only to find Winneretta perched on top of the bureau swinging an umbrella, yelling quote, if you touch me, I'll kill you, damn, which I'd be like, well, okay, I'm sorry. I thought we were getting married here. I didn't realize I was under violent.
Speaker 2: Threat sad I do earlier?
Speaker 1: Huh, I guess you do not.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing him in like a frog, you know, dressing gown sure, feeling himself. Yeah, now he's got a fight on his hand.
Speaker 1: Married this beautiful woman. She said yes so quickly when I.
Speaker 2: Proposed to her, I thought she was in love with me.
Speaker 1: So, you know, kind of an inauspicious start to this blissful married life. But Winneretta wasn't kidding here. She was a lesbian and she had zero interest in, you know, whatever Louis had going on under those dressing gowns. There's not really a lot of detail out there about Louis himself, but it's likely that the two of them led just completely separate lives. Yeah, total marriage of what he called marriage of convenience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But as she was now the Princess de guy mont Balliard, she established her own first musical salon, and she hosted orchestral concerts ell as well as chamber music and composers like Forret or Chabrier or Dandee and Moore performed there at her own salon, and this helped them find fans and patrons. She also rented a palazzo in Venice, and she sent Forret there for a vacation, and that's where he started composing. Sank Melodi de Venice now Whinneretta also studied painting, and she was very accomplished. She studied with Felix Baret and spent time in Eduard Manet's studio. Wow, yeah, one of the greats.
Speaker 2: Apparently he never really took students, he only had one like formal student. But I guess she went to his studio and yeahs you know, but it wasn't anything like he took her under his winger.
Speaker 1: You can watch it, no questions.
Speaker 2: You are lucky to be in my prison.
Speaker 1: Can I audit that class.
Speaker 2: One auditing of Mane studio people?
Speaker 1: Well? In fact, when Aeretta did so well, she exhibited her work at the Chicago World's Fair in eighteen ninety three, but according to Palazzo Contorini Polgna dot com, her paintings were even mistaken for mayonnaise creation. She really must have learned quite a bit from watching him. A funny story. Some of my paintings have been misconstrued for mayonnaise.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, in the past, hang on.
Speaker 1: Blaba, white paint. Gross, it's deep, it's tangy.
Speaker 2: Well, of course this marriage could not last, all right, I'm sure Old Louis from the moment she started trying to swing an umbrella at him, trying to get out of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in eighteen ninety two, the Vatican annulled the scay Montbelliard marriage since it had never been consummated. But you know, we all know by now that society, especially at that point, hates a divorcee. Right, So when Aretta kind of lost her place in society that she had been building so much, particularly in the elevated circles that she'd been moving in, she was sort of a persona and on grad it was very scandalous, interesting forced. So near the end of the year, her friends Count Robert de Montesquieu, who is like a well known dandy and es fete. He was one hundred percent the model for Marcel Proust's dandy Baron de Charlis. In this book In Search of Lost Time, the remembrance of things passed depending on which translation. You see, he might even have inspired Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde story and Gray, oh kidding, butte that's how well known of like a dandy he was. Everybody was like, this guy's really handsome, very effeminate, kind of mean perfect, this is my guy?
Speaker 1: Did he did he inspire Dorian Gray because he was like Paul Rudd and he just never seemed to age, never aged, And so Oscar Wilde is like, man, this guy year after year was going on Oscar wild like, I bet there's a painting in the basement somewhere.
Speaker 2: Hella pakmarks ravage well. Count Robert Demontesque and his cousin, the Countess Elizabeth Grefeu, approached her, urging Winneretta to remarry. They were like, girl, all you got to do to get yourself re established is to find you a good man, right, And they even had the guy in mind. It was a friend of theirs name Prince Edmund de Paulaignac. Now he's twenty years older than Winneretta, but he had a lot to recommend himself as a husband. Okay, first of all, he's a prince, so Winneretta could have that title. She's looking a princess. Secondly, he was broke. He had lost a lot of money on some get rich quick schemes, so he really needed a rich wife. Okay, so he'd be yeah, he'd be open to it. Thirdly, and best of all, Edmund de Paulaignac was gay.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Count Robert.
Speaker 2: May even has been a former lover of his.
Speaker 1: Oh, the perfect husband, The perfect husband. Winneretta's perfect husband is a lot different than most people. She's like, Okay, he's a prince, A lot of people are good with that. And he's broke, and he's gay. That's the the all three boxes I was looking for. Check check, check.
Speaker 2: A rich lesbian woman has a different checklist than most of us, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Winneretto could just put her umbrella away and.
Speaker 1: Relax, you know. Yeah, he was not coming after her. So Winneretta and Edmund were married in eighteen ninety three, and she became the Princess da Polignac, and these two actually had an amazing marriage. Edmund was a talented composer. He'd actually won several prizes, and he was also very passionate about music and art and literature, just like Winneretta. So they found really a kindred spirit. Like you know, you like art, I like art, You like music, I like music. You like people of your same sex, I like people like this.
Speaker 2: Was great, This is all working out so well.
Speaker 1: So they ended up really kind of loving each other in that way, and they support or to each other constantly. I mean, that's you got to say, that's a really good partnership.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, if you can call it a bond of true love. Even though it's fully platonic, they were truly in love with one another. They got each other really well. So this was kind of a masterpiece in matchmaking from Robert de montesque. Great job, Robert.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there's something there where, let's say they're out having their little flings, their little same sex flings on the side or whatever, is there still a little bit of jealousy. It's like, even though we're not sexually bonded, I just don't like you spending intimate time with someone else. You and I are right thing.
Speaker 2: Right, listen. I don't think with these two, but yes, it definitely happens. There's a few of her lovers that were married to gay men as well. In like Mariage blanc or lavender marriages halls a lot because they were each other's beards essentially. Where Yeah, they would get jealous of one another all the time, even though I'm not interested in what you got, but that's my wife or that's my husband. Yeah, you know, I still feel a sense of possession. Very interesting people.
Speaker 1: I mean, jealousy is really complicated.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So Winneretta produced Edmund's concerts multiple times. All of his compositions got to be heard. But the first thing they did was set up one of those, of course, incredible artistic salons in their Parisian music room and they would debut performances of works for musicians like Debussy, Ravel, Fouret and Chabrier, just huge names in French composition. Beautiful little concerts.
Speaker 2: I would totally go to one of these nights.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. They also would have authors like Marcel Proust and crossover alert Oscar Wilde and Collette would come by all the time and give little readings of their works. Amazing. Also additional crossover alert, the Polignacs hosted our friend BDSM connoisseur Percy Granger, who dedicated some of his folk song compositions to winner Retta.
Speaker 2: How crazy is this?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, go figure that all the same names are the ones that got written down and recorded and were rich. It was a small circle.
Speaker 2: Belle Epoch Paris is up insane. Like the amount of people American, British and English and French that were all in these salons ended up being amazing together. Pretty crazy. Apparently Marcel Proust came to the salon because of Robert Montesquieu introduced him, and Marcel got a lot of his like observations of society that he became famous for writing in those salons. So kind of Winneretta salon was sort of his, like what he was writing about.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: In fact, Marcel Proust wrote that before they had ever met in person, Winneretta and Edmund de Paulagnac had bid against one another at an art auction trying to win a Monet Claude Monet's Champe de tulip Wow, full painting of Julip.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if you want a beautiful painting of tulips, you call Claude Monette. I tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, you know we already know Edmund was having money troubles, so of course Winneretta won this. Yeah, and at the time, Edmund was apparently enraged to have been outbid by an American woman. Oh real snobby about it. But then he later joked, quote, I married the American and could look at the painting as often as I like.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that was like the cinch for him in this marriage. She's like, oh, it's a woman. I'm not into that. She likes music. Okay, she's rich, that's good. She's got my painting.
Speaker 2: That's probably. Robert was apparently like, hey, man, you should marry Winnetta singer. Dude, like, you'll solve all your problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Probably say she's got that monet, you can hang it right in your room.
Speaker 1: I said, whatever I have to do to get that painting, I will, I will marry a woman.
Speaker 2: In fact, also Monette himself would hang out at the Polyniac salon all the time. He also became friends with actual pain Oh my god, pretty dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's better than just buying the painting.
Speaker 2: He could be like, drum me another tulip?
Speaker 1: Why well, yeah, why why buy the milk you can get for free?
Speaker 2: For free for dinner the price of dinner.
Speaker 1: Why by the tulips when you can just befriend Claude Monette. That's the other version of that saying.
Speaker 2: For real, uh Whinneretta also introduced Edmund to Polignac, to Venice because remember she already like going there, Oh sure, and it soon became one of his favorite places. He particularly loved this palace on the Grand Canal. It was called the Palazzo Contari ni dal Zaffo. And one day in nineteen hundred, they're having dinner with some rich friends and he kind of saw it, you know, the corner of his eye, and he spontaneously exclaimed, quote, ah, that is the place to live in. We must manage to get it, one way or another. And apparently this kind of amazed Whineretta because Edmund rarely asked for anything for himself, like he didn't really take advantage of this rich white he had. So when Iaretta decided, you know what, I'm gonna buy him that palazzo, thanks so much. And it took her a few months of like real estate wrangling. We all know it takes a while to close on a house, but she got it and it became the Palazzo Contarini Polignac.
Speaker 1: What I will say, I just looked it up at the Palazzo Contorini dal Zafo aka Contorni Polignac. It's beautiful. It is beautiful, beautiful. I would totally buy it if I had the money'sta it's It's a private residence today still apparently for the Polignac family, and they do a frequent art events.
Speaker 2: The foundation that she sets up inherited it, so they do a lot of concerts. Let's go, ready, go. We haven't been to Venis though, No, we'll record an episode.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been to visits on my study abroad and wasn't my favorite. Damn sorry, Well, sadly for a big tone shift here. Her husband, Edmund, had never really been in great health. I remember he was twenty years older than her as well, and he died just seven months after she bought him the palazzo, shortly after his sixty seventh birthday, and Winneretta basically spent the rest of her life honoring him in the best way that she knew. How artistic patronage leading to some of the most beloved artistic works of our time, and we have barely even scratched the surface on all of her lesbian love affairs. So we're going to talk about that right after this break. Welcome back, everybody, now.
Speaker 2: Winneretta and Edmund both had affairs during their marriage. That was sort of part of the the deal, right, Neil, Right, was that we get to each do our own thing. Yeah, but most of Winneretta's most famous relationships seemed to have started after Edmund died. Okay, So I don't know why, speculation station. Maybe she felt like she could be more out and proud as a widow than as a married woman.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: Maybe she's just a little more private about who and what. Or maybe they both just kind of went for people that weren't names, or.
Speaker 1: They're just like they seem to really enjoy spending time together. Maybe they just devoted a lot of their time together and she wasn't that often out there looking you know, Yeah, or she was just so busy with her art she didn't have a lot of time for those flings.
Speaker 2: Right, Very true. That sounds like or maybe like he's you know, such a shield in a way that like her female friendships weren't as remarked on. Sure, and then after he's gone, everyone's like, well, she's spent ten years with this one, lady. Oh you know what I mean, Like, I don't know for sure, but just saying. And you guys, Winneretta picked some amazing women to have affairs with, like of course, because her circle is incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, just scratching.
Speaker 2: The surface here. One of her lovers was Olga Demeyer, who was an artist, muse and model. She was a champion fencer, and she was an opium addict. They were together from nineteen oh one to nineteen oh five.
Speaker 1: Quite a comboat, uh huh.
Speaker 2: She also had a relationship with the composer Ethel Smith in nineteen oh three, Big Suffragists. She wrote like the Suffragette Anthem and was this amazing composer she fell deeply in love with, Winneretta started writing an opera about her. Winneretta also had an affair with the painter Romaine Brooks starting in nineteen oh five, and fans of our Collette series might remember Romaine Brooks. We've brought her up before because she had a fifty year menage with Natalie Clifford Barney, who was another famed Parisian lesbian. She was actually an American expat like Winneretta. She was a big proponent of non monogamy. And apparently Winneretta did not like Natalie Clifford. Oh, I thought they would have been total broski too similar. Winneretta was like acted like she didn't even know her something like she were like, I don't know what that is. That so I think I think Wheneretta was a little more conservative than Natalie Clifd Barney, Natalie Clifford Barney's like non monogamy just set her apart. I think because she was just like, there's no reason to tie yourself down or whatever, even though Winneretta's totally got a lot of overlap too, right. Winneretta also had a playing with the pianist and singer Renata Burgatti in the early nineteen twenties, the socialite Violet Trifuses for ten years from nineteen twenty three to nineteen thirty three, and the landscape expert and garden designer al Veiled Chaplain from nineteen thirty eight to nineteen forty three. It's a big name, a lot of big names and kind of long relationships. A lot of them. They were together for a while, and.
Speaker 1: Some people even say that she had an affair with author Virginia Wolf, although some people think that they were just friends, and in fact, Virginia Wolf did throw some shade on Winneretta. At one point, she wrote to a friend, quote, to look at her, You'd never think she ravished half the virgins in Paris. Yeah, it's like she's not. I don't know for all that, damn Virginia Wolf noted for her wicked burns.
Speaker 2: Virginia Wolf almost be roasted by Virginia Wolf.
Speaker 1: But look, I know, we just rattled off a lot of like and she did this, she did that, And you're like, but what tell me more? I know, But all these women were so accomplished and talented, with so much story of their own, that were actually going to do a whole separate episode dedicated just to the lesbian lovers of Winneretta Singer.
Speaker 2: Every one of them is so cool, you guys, right there really are.
Speaker 1: There's a ton of crossover. Some of these lesbians had affair with each other, some of their gay husbands were having affairs with each other as well. Just a real, real spider web of relationships and stories. So so stay tuned. You know, we've got a lot more to talk about with Winnaretta right here. But then next episode we're going to go through all.
Speaker 2: These individuals lovers and all their lovers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's gonna be chaos, but we will talk about one well known story about Winneretta. She was in Venice at one point and she invited a married woman that she had a crush on to dinner. The husband of this woman, who had not been invited himself, got super jealous and drunk, and he came in. He pushed his way past the servants and he was in the dining room and he yelled at Winneretta quote.
Speaker 4: If you're half the man you pretend to be, come and fight a duel tomorrow at the lead o the fighting bit for the honor of my wife.
Speaker 1: Then he threw a bunch of place settings and candlesticks into the grand canal. Then he got escorted out. All the items were recovered. Feel sorry for those divers because the Venice Grand Canal is not one i'd want to swim in. That's sure, in a.
Speaker 2: Gondola with like a net, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Scooping out of man.
Speaker 2: But they had to be heavy, right, they must have dove.
Speaker 1: To the ball. It was. Yeah, that was a lot of work for this. Oh of course, of course, so you know, damage undone. But surely a lot of gossip going around this story for months. Seriously, did you hear what this Beauci did?
Speaker 2: That's Beaucci.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what his name was.
Speaker 2: No one does. The woman is not named, so yeah.
Speaker 1: She was like you keeping my name out of the history books for these ones.
Speaker 2: But yeah. One of the gossips that was probably dining out in this story for a long time was Winneretta's matchmaker, Count Robert de Montesquieu, because after their marriage, Robert felt like he had done Edmond and Winneretta a huge favorite getting them together, and he didn't think they showed enough gratitude for it. Oh well, they should be bound and scrape a little more.
Speaker 1: We're my finder's feet exactly, maybe a.
Speaker 2: Hand for some ship that they don't want to pay for. He also claimed he was not invited to the wedding. Edmund de Polignac always said that was not true. He's like, none of that is true. But Robert basically broke off their friendship, and then he spent as much time as he could spreading rumors about the couple, and he would rag on Winneretta for her neu veau riche background, so just being kind of a bitch. So he probably loved this story and talked about it everywhere he went, like, Oh, did you hear the one about Winneretta. She's probably still getting her candlesticks out of the canal.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: Also, this is something of a tangent, but it's such a fun story. Conspiracy lovers might be interested.
Speaker 1: Oh do you mean here's where it gets crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is where I wanted to across there with stuff they don't want you to know. Yes, But in nineteen oh one, there were two women named Charlotte Anne Moberly and Eleanor Jordaine, and they went to visit the Petit, which is three Antoinette's palace rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her own separate little quarters, right.
Speaker 2: And so they're wandering around in nineteen oh one, and they claim that they actually traveled back in time or experienced a haunting because they said they saw Marie Antoinette and members of her court and servants like doing stuff in the and they said they described kind of a spooky vibe. So they published an account of this incident in nineteen eleven. It's now called the Moberly Jordaine Incident, and it caused a huge sensation. It was like the Bigfoot of its time, right, it was a big deal. Yeah, but it's like captured imaginations allway.
Speaker 1: Sure. Sure, But in the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Sixties it was suggested that these two women had actually stumbled on one of Count Robert de Montesque's party where his avant garde friends dressed up and performed tableaux vivant or living pictures in period costume, and then Marie Antoinette they saw may even have been a cross dress all, oh my god. And so they're like these Edwardian spinsters seeing an avant garde party would have probably seemed very spooky and so real to them. So they actually saw some gay party and oh my godd thought they traveled back in time.
Speaker 1: They're probably tripping on mushrooms too. I mean, that's like me walking into Dragon Con and being like, oh my god, the ghosts from the future have come back. It's just like Star Trek exactly, posing for pictures with each other.
Speaker 2: So that account was accepted, and there was no no more publications here. Their story was allowed to be printed after that.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. They put a stamp on it and said no, this was one of his parties.
Speaker 2: They're pretty sure that that's incredible.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. They were tripping so hard they thought they were in that they were being surrounded by ghosts. You wonder if they're like poking party guests and being like, are you real poking my face a ghost?
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to be posing right now? Kind of ruining it. I do love too. They saw a man in address and they were like.
Speaker 1: Haunting. Well, anyway, let's get back to a Winnaretta singer. She is a widow now. She chose to show her love for Edmund to Polignac by supporting the artists and musicians that they had loved together. My poor long lost husband, let me preserve his legacy here through art.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: She created a fund for a yearly Wagner concert, because Wagner had been Edmund's favorite composer, and in fact, for Edmund's funeral. She rented out this palazzo in Venice, where the composer Wagner had frequently stayed, and she had musicians playing Wagner in his honor, and all the palazzo owners along the Grand Canal hung these banners in tribute to Edmund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's nice.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It kind of shows to that Edmund. You know, it's really easy to kind of write off Edmund is like Winneretta's husband or whatever. But he was clearly a very important member of this team, Like be brought in as many artists as she did, you know, to their salon. He was as much of a connection point for all these iconic people as she was. So right, it's just easy to forget that. But he actually had a lot of these contacts as well.
Speaker 1: And I'll say, and I'm the half joking but half serious here, if you're someone with money looking to invest it somewhere and you throw it into the next tech trend fad, you know that can fizzle out, yep, business, startup whatever, Like you're trying to make a lot of money and maybe works. But if you want your name celebrated in the streets long after you're dead and one day people you know, give a podcast talking about how great you were, you throw your money to artists, that's right, right, And you support culture absolutely in your area, and you know people are going to celebrate you when you're alive and after your death, right.
Speaker 2: Because you're literally bankrolling beauty and expression and some things that people can't do without.
Speaker 1: Things that there last.
Speaker 2: You can do without things that last that last. Exactly. Not every artist is going to hit every time, but it's still worth your money.
Speaker 1: Yep. No, every artist hits, you know, so give them money. Don't think about that. It's not about well and kind of seriously, it's not about whether or not it's successful. You're not investing like an investor, like, let me take a gamble in this artist and hope I make a ton of money, like you're just That's the thing with art is that it doesn't operate on the same commercial spectrum as every other business. Its value is different than dollars, and it has tremendous value. That's not wi wu, it's not hippie dippy, it's not ignorable. It's actually super important literally every culture through history. Anyway, get your minds out of the bank for one minute to please everybody. Oh my god, there'll be time for that later anyway. Winneretta also created the Edmund de Polignac Prize for Writing, which was awarded annually to British authors. And she was a patron of people like Collette and Marcel Proust, and Jean Cocteaux, who is one of the leaders of the Surrealist and Dadaist movements, and poets like Anna de Noilli and Paul Valeri.
Speaker 2: That's right, and names. Knowing that she knew Marcel Proust and Jean Cocteau. I can imagine this is never written anywhere, but I can't imagine that she probably crossed paths at some point with Claude Cahoun and Marcel Moore. I really hope so.
Speaker 1: I hope so right.
Speaker 2: But she might have been a little too They might have been too out there for her, because again we found out she is a little more conservative than maybe her Her life seems to be taxed now. But I hope so. I think that would be cool, that's cool if she if Claude was at one of the salons. Of course, Winderette is still bankrolling musicians as her favorite.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: She was honoring Edmund to Polognac's memory by commissioning several compositions that are still well loved today, including the opera Renard by Igor Stravinski, Concerto's by Poulan kurt Vile's Second Symphony, and Eric Satis Socrates. She actually even intervened to keep Eric Setti out of jail while he was writing Socrates, like a libel suit was brought against him or something. She's like, hang on, let him finish this shit that I paid for already.
Speaker 1: He's busy. You don't have time for jail. He's busy right now.
Speaker 2: He was like, okay, here's the commission fee, and here's for your bail. And she kept up her weekly concerts at her house. She was hosting the first performances of many of these pieces, in addition to performances from names like the dancer Isidora Duncan, the composer Nadia boulangeres Armand de Paulagnac, cole porter Darius Milhoude. She also bankrolledge Diagilev's Ballet Rouss on several occasions, and apparently got very jealous of the money that she spent on Stravinsky. He said, quote Renard is just some scraps he found in his dresser drawer.
Speaker 1: Wow, man, artists are so petty, they're so Petty.
Speaker 2: Ay, this is another reason why I would be so fun to go, because you just like listen to these bitches complain about each other. Apparently also went to another of his great supporters, who was Coco Chanel.
Speaker 1: Oh famed Nazi.
Speaker 2: Famed Nazi sympathizer col Kerschannel, and he told her that Winneretta had given him seventy five thousand francs, but he was still broke and the Belly Roost needed some support or whatever. And Chanelle, speaking of Petty, grabbed her check book and replied, quote, the Princess de Polagnak is a grand American lady. I am only a steamstress. Here is two hundred thousand. Wow, what a bitch?
Speaker 1: Well, I who am I? I'm just a poor seamstress. Here's okay, here's more than double what she gave you.
Speaker 2: Rescribe the aglae though, because he knew exactly what to say, like you knew he said that, I'll put huh. Definitely, I didn't get enough from Winneretta. Who can I.
Speaker 1: I know, see, he's Petty knows Petty, Petty knows, he sees it, he knows it, he sees it, and he uses it.
Speaker 2: Let me fan the spite from Coker channel to fund my ballet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Well, also, if y'all like Vivaldi, oh the four Seasons you're hearing now. In Winneretta's time, Vivaldi was well known to classical music connoisseurs. It was a very particular, you know, it was the Vivaldi was the punk rock of his dad. You only knew if you were really in.
Speaker 2: It, if you were like music, you got it.
Speaker 1: But he actually might have faded into obscurity over time if it weren't for Winnaeretta and her friend Olga Rudge. Olga Rudge was a violinist and actually Ezra Pounds long term mistress, speakingism and and Olga was also a frequent collaborator with the pianist and singer Renata Borgatti, who we mentioned earlier. Renata Borgotti had a fling with Winneretta. More spiderweb here, Yeah, exactly right now. According to the Lotsa Contorni Polignac dot com, Olga was researching early music in Dresden in the nineteen thirties and she found a pile of Vivaldi manuscripts, mostly a violin concerti, and she transcribed these manuscripts. She brought them back to Venice. I think there's something here. It's Vivaldi violin hello, and Winneretta like, yeah, this looks good to me, opened up her pocketbook for Olga and Ezra pound to fund a publication of these works. Now, most of the work Olga discovered hadn't been played in the public for over two hundred years, so Winneretta started to include them in her concerts, and of course this just contributed to this overall revival of appreciation for Vivaldi. And now every time a fancy rich people seen comes on a TV show, you're going to hear this right exactly. It is synonymous with high culture, right.
Speaker 2: And how funny is it that Vivaldi needed a patron in his time and then two hundred years later it required another wealthy person to keep his music relevant. I'm like, like, just to back to our conversation about egots or whatever. The money really does matter.
Speaker 1: It does? It does, It does, and again.
Speaker 2: It's frustrating, but it does.
Speaker 1: If you right now want to contribute to art, we will take your contributions. And if you are listening to this episode two hundred years from its publication day. You can still fund our work, that's right, you know, revive it, bring it back, and then find us. Use your future life phrase to bring us back. If it's a good future. If it's not, y'all, y'all, y'all can have it. But if we fixed all these problems, I'd love to see.
Speaker 2: It, uh huh, Yeah, back these our brains or whatever.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and we'll can upload us or we'll bring you more ancient art from the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's vintage, thank you.
Speaker 1: Ye. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Winneretta did not just spend her money on music and painting. Sure, however important that is. When the Great War broke out in nineteen fourteen, when pretty much every nation was plunged into an economic depression after it, and during the Second World War, Winneretta spent her money where she thought it was needed the most, on the poor. Imagine that, and we'll hear all about her public service right after this break.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 2: So Winneretta singer Paula yak knew that a lot of people were not as lucky as she was in her financial situation, but instead of turning her back on them, she chose to help.
Speaker 1: Look, there's a lesson in somebody who knows how to use their money, right, all right, And I tell you what she helped. She funded a ton of arts, she funded a ton of poor people. And you know what, she was still rich, Hella rich, You can still do it rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had no second mortgage on her palazzo.
Speaker 1: She was doing all right, you can fund the arts and feed the poor and still be rich.
Speaker 2: You can still be Hella comfortable. So in nineteen eleven, Winneretta funded the building of a housing project for the working poor, and it actually became a model for future affordable public housing projects because when Auretta included things like modern appliances indoor plumbing, she made sure the building had a lot of natural light and safety features for children. Like she was thinking about human beings living there, yeah, instead of just like, let's make the most uncomfortable prison cell looking place dang and dark that we can. Now. During the Great War, she went to all her rich friends and she's like, you ain't driving it, And she amassed a fleet of limousines, oh that they all had, and she funded their conversion into ambulances and mobile radiology units and the guidance of none other than Madam Marie Kirie.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: So these limos end up rumbling to the front lines to help wounded soldiers.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Cool. Well, after the war, Winneretta collaborated with another wealthy American expat, Consuela Vanderbilt, the Duchess of Marlborough. They constructed a three hundred and sixty bed hospital in a suburb of Paris, specifically to treat middle class workers. It's called the Fush Hospital, and it is still in operation today. In fact, it's rated the top hospital in France, especially if you need a kidney transplant. So maybe one day I'll be swinging by there, I.
Speaker 2: Know, right, I hope not. I was thinking to you though, Look.
Speaker 1: I just get kidney stones a lot. It's true, probably partly because a particular period of my life where I almost exclusively drank energy drinks. So please PSA for the day, get away from that poison.
Speaker 2: It's not good for you.
Speaker 1: The worst.
Speaker 2: I are you back.
Speaker 1: I think they're sponsors that I didn't say any names. You didn't. Well, this hospital also includes a nursing school, so a bunch of really great stuff happening here because of Winneretta and Consuelo. She was also a patron of the scientist Eduard Branlee, who was the first to invent a wireless telegraph. Winneretta also kept up her public housing projects. She commissioned the modern architect Le Corbusier to build or reconstruct several shelters for the homeless, as well as shelters for battered or abandoned women and children for Paris's Salvation Army. So, just a lot of really good She's just like, I need to do good things. I mean, I've been leaning good life. I got a lot of money and just handed to me and kind of because my dad made a sewing machine. Okay, uh, time to start doing some good in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that she didn't turn her back on people like that, right, she really she was like, I have all this money and no one to spend it on. She didn't have kids of her own or anything like that. She's just like, what am I supposed to do? But to make the world around me a better place.
Speaker 1: And then she's like, I ha done, snatched up all the buildings on land that I can. So she bought a barge that La Corbusierre remodeled into a floating homeless shelter in the winter. Oh so now it's like, not only can this can I house the homeless on land? I can also do it on sea.
Speaker 2: Listen, you gotta use whatever space you.
Speaker 1: Got, right, And this also became a children's camp in the summer, and it was moored on the sand river.
Speaker 2: That's right. Apparently in like twenty eighteen they were like historic rain there in France and it got brought on floodwaters. And so now that barge is at the bottom of the seind Oh, and they're trying to pull it back up. I don't know if they have or not.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's go.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting that he because he apparently look for Corbisier was like, I thought it was a really cool challenge. He was, you know, a very limited space. You can't add on a lot to a barge, so he's trying to fit as many beds and it as possible and stuff. So he probably really enjoyed that commission, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: See it could be fun to help people too.
Speaker 2: What a thing.
Speaker 1: It just really in a philanthropy this episode.
Speaker 2: No, right, Well, it's hard not to be inspired by winterreda if I had a lot of money, I hope I would be a winner.
Speaker 1: Retto, Yeah, yeah, let's find out. If anybody wants to give us a lot of money, we'll show you what kind of people we are.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be Winnaretta, yourself, Let me be with your money now. In nineteen thirty nine, when the Second World.
Speaker 1: War broke out, the sequel nobody wanted.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a horrible sequel. Winneretta was actually back in Devonshire because her younger brother had died, and because of travel embargoes and stuff like that, she never really got to return to her beloved parish. Sure, but you know, our girls stayed active. She organized concerts and charitable events for the Red Cross. She made friends with big British music names of the day, Palazzo Contarini. Poliniac says that she frequently considered actually going home to America, but she just could not bring herself to get on a plane. She did not have the courage to get on an airplane.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, sure, sure so.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty three, during a bombing in London in the Blitz, Winneretta died of a heart attack at the age of seventy eight aw Man. She was buried in the family crypt in Turkey, England, and the newspaper Le Figaro in Paris published her obituary a year later, and they kind of explained the gap in coverage, writing quote, the events and subjugation of free speech in France made it impossible to speak in a manner befitting the Princess Edmond de Polignac and the homage she deserves. It is impossible to write a chronicle of the twentieth century without including the salon on Avenue Henri Martin and the Palazzo on the Grand Canal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real, which is so true.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about that a little in Colette as well. Yeah, not that she died in forty three, but that just it was nobody could say anything because it was occupied France, so you couldn't really talk about all of the amazing homosexual people that made France so incredible and unique in the twenties.
Speaker 1: It's trying not to get bogged down in it, but it's heartbreaking to me that she died in forty three. France was liberated in forty four, so she did not get to see and know that Paris was returned. You know that it didn't stay. You know, you only hope that, you know, I don't know what kind of foresight do you have during a war to know what's going to happen at the end of it. But yeah, true, But it is sad to me that she died while Paris was occupied by the worst people of all time, you know.
Speaker 2: So I do wonder if she thought, well, will we ever get out of this? Was never ending? Is Germany going to win? I mean, forty three is a pretty low point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but I'm but you can't see why it took them until after forty four to be able to say anything about it. But I'm glad that they they did loudly. Yeah, you know, they really came out and were like, let me wait, we didn't drop the ball on this, y'all. We got something to say. Yeah, you know that's great. Now today, Winnoretta's good work is still being carried on by the Foundation singer Paulagnac that she had in Doubt in nineteen twenty eight, which they are dedicated to funding science, literature, the arts, culture, and French philanthropy through gifts and travel scholarships and the foundation inherited Winnaretta's mansion and they still hold concerts there today. They elevate the next generation of French music. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I looked at the artists that I don't they're no one I've heard of but for a while, right, Yeah, they seem very cool. A lot of trios and cool like class musicians. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, look, Winneretta. This is a woman obviously who had an incredible eye and ear for the unique, you know, just stuff you hadn't really thought of much before. She wanted to put it front and center.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and the fact that she continues to shape arts and culture even after her death. It's pretty incredible, right for real. I mean that's the thing is like part of that, Like we were talking about earlier funding the arts, it's going to have an impact long beyond your time here, Like stuff you don't even It's like planting a tree that you know you're never going to see it its full height, but you also know that it one day will be at that full height. And that's something special, I.
Speaker 2: Think, and it's a special mind. Yeah, you can think of that. I think we talked about that with Olmsted, the park designer. He designed Central Park, Yeah, and also Piedmont Park here in Atlanta. Yeah, but he always talked about that. He's like, if you're a landscape architect, you're picturing a park that is full grown, but you're building a park that is new, and it don't look like your mind's eye and you might never see your mind's eye vision because it's supposed to be fifty one hundred years from now, which I think just that kind of long term vision is such a unique skill set. Like I don't know, it's just a fascinating.
Speaker 1: Right, and that's a harp on it, but it's so important this idea, especially that, like I don't know, if you have any sort of inkling about whether or not you have an existence after death, you know, and then does the state of the world matter to you in that existence wherever you are, then you might want to consider, right, you know, also just consider what you know is happening to your name. Do you want to be the most hated person or a forgotten person or a person who is hundreds of years later being celebrated. Yeah, they were the wonderful things they.
Speaker 2: Did and associated with so many like beautiful works of art, I mean, insanely beautiful compositions. I was listening to a lot of these. I'm not a classical music connoisseur by any means, right, so I was like, who's Poolong, Who's Eric Seti? And I listened to a lot of these while researching this, and they're all incredible, of course they are, but like, right, I don't know, It's just it's just amazing to have that kind of heart and that kind of ear for those whotch of things and know what's going to touch people insane so intensely that we are still listening to Seti and still go into the Lincoln Center and stuff to hear the string quartet opus one three or whatever, Like she knew what would stick.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the thing too, is that we talked about funding a work of art and it's the work or if you're saying, like, imagine, you know, being part of this one particular thing, but you also have to consider that art is yeah, like a string in a tapestry, right, like it is part of a larger culture and that culture we live in, like regardless, So each piece of art, right, and each conversation, each thing that happens is obviously part of a larger hole that we have to live in. How people are being influenced to what their behavior is like. You know, are you in a miserable hell hole or are you in kind of a golden age? And that often comes from people supporting art with money, And there's just it's so like winter at a show in here. It's not hard to have a lot of money and spend a lot of money on stuff. That's not a financial investment return, but it's a cultural investment return. The world you live in is better. And guess what, most of the time you still have a lot of money. There aren't a lot of wealthy donors and patrons out there who are like, well, I used to be rich, but then I funded the arts, so now it's gone. There's plenty. Uh huh, you got plenty.
Speaker 2: And back to the foundation that she ended out, uh huh has no other funding source than her endowment. So today, wow, Wow, she had enough money that that foundation is going strong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very credible, incredible And she never suffered for cash, not at all, you know, not a once, not a once. Just incredible. Uh. The American diplomat Moral Cody said it best about Winneretta. He said, quote Winneretta Singer was the woman among us who decisively shaped and directed and nourished the social and artistic and literary life of the young. Yeah. I mean again, just setting up the present and the future. Yeah. I think it's really amazing stuff. It's so absolutely vital to a healthy society. Sorry, it just is. We got tens of thousands of years of evidence to pull from.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 1: So stop being dumb and der money on artists. Georgia the lowest arts funded state in the country, Throw some cash out there to make it work. I know we don't need to get you started. We don't, miss Queen of the nonprofits. Huh.
Speaker 2: But I just you know, I love to you that She never she never commissioned Stravinsky or anything thinking oh this is gonna hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She commissioned him because she liked it. Yeah, she thought it sounded good. And she's like, you know what, hey, I write something else. I'm going to give you enough money that you don't have to work or run around or worry about your rent or whatever. All you need to be doing is working on your music. The same with Faret when she gave him her palazzo in Venice for a minute, go take a load of like you're tired, man, like go, which is the other thing is so frustrating. Everyone's supposed to do art as there like hobby or second thing, and like also be supporting their life.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how many how many artists can't right now listening to this say, oh, if I just had time off where you don't have to worry about anything, not a pause because there's a pandemic going on, but like just a forced vacation where all my whole thing is to sit and create.
Speaker 1: Well, and again even that it's not really vacation, because we talk about a lot, you know, you and I talk about how when you're creating it often looks like time off and it's not. It's work, right, and it yeah, it's time off if I'm just kicking back and being like, oh, right later, I'm gonna play some video games for a while. But sitting there with the blank page in a quiet space with some music on, you know, with a window by the sea or whatever, it doesn't even have to be that that's work, and it's that it's hard work, and it's frustrating work, and it's challenging work. And also I was going to say that she likely did that for lots of people whose names we don't know too about exactly, because she didn't. It wasn't like everyone I fund is a hit. She was like, I'm throwing money out to a bunch of stuff, and some of these people are gonna be really impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are they gonna last as long as they last like the ballet roost or something like, They're gonna do whatever they can do and whatever time they have, and that's okay, Like they don't have to be you know, still going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And a lot of artists exist within their own time with with great importance and skill and you know, incredible works and that's all they are, and that's that's great. Too much needed, And also to your point about just being able to go do your work without him a worry about it. Bob Dylan retired, he was like, I'm done making music. I'm gonna go sit in a cabin by myself fair a while. And he went there. He sat down and something like night two, he's like he didn't you And he's like, wait a second, and he wrote like a rolling stone because he was just away. He's just got to separate himself for a minute. He wrote like a rolling Stone, like one of the most epic poems. Yes, the music of all time.
Speaker 2: I really think that is what happened with Fret. I think she was really like, you are burnt out, go relax. But while he's relaxing, he's inspired and regenerated. He's like in Venice, it's beautiful, there's music and art all around him. He's got something to be inspired by. He strolls by the canal every day, sees the gondolas. He's like thinking about something that strikes a chord. Next thing you know, you're writing sonk melody, Like you know what I mean of Venice, Like he couldn't have written that Venus. So I don't know, it's just something to be said about. Like, like you said, a lot of creativity and creation can look like idleness or oh you're walking around looking at the freaking stars or nature or something, and it looks like you're just indulging yourself, and in a way, you are. Because art is about taking in and reflecting and expressing. I mean, that's that is what it is. So if you lived in a little cave your whole life, what kind of art could you really make you have to go out and experience and react to things around you, and exactly so, I just I just love that she's straight up like, you know, Gabriel, you look in a little worn. Let's just give you a wonderful vacation and guess what happened. You're gonna make something great. But even if he hadn't, that's not why she sensed it.
Speaker 1: Exactly Exactly what I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To say is I need a vacation and I will write sunk melody to buddies.
Speaker 1: Look, and one last point here that I think is really important to once again a massive cultural influence, a massive period of history and a surge in in just in cultural benefit that we owe all to the let's right, you know, that's right. It just keeps happening.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: They're great people and just the LGBT crowd in general. Of course, I am also very amen, very good at contributing, very true.
Speaker 2: Dioga liv also homosexual. We had plenty of homosexual affairs as well.
Speaker 1: So this one goes out to the lesbians.
Speaker 2: This one is for the lesbians of bellipowk Paris and also today.
Speaker 1: Yea, yep, yeah, oh what a great story.
Speaker 2: I Loretta.
Speaker 1: I love Winneretta, and we've got more to tell of Winneretta because we're going to get into those lesbian relationships more specifically next time.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but everyone I looked up, I was just like, what, they all have some crazy shit going on with their romances, So we're going to try to condense them all under one episode's stay tuned, It's coming back true. So got to say thanks again to Seth Bats at Seth Sculptures for this wonderful suggestion, because we got three episode actually and it's been really fun. So thank you so much to Seth. And if you have any suggestions or anything you'd like to say about Winneretta or a show or us, or just you know, I don't know. If you have some bank roll and you want to give us some money for our next amazing projects or vacation or whatever, please reach out. It's ridict Romance at.
Speaker 1: Gmail dot com, that's right, or you can find us on Instagram as well.
Speaker 2: I'm at O Great as Elive, I'm at Dianamite Boom.
Speaker 1: And follow the show at ridict Romance Great.
Speaker 2: I love hearing from y'all always, so wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in, We love you, Catch you next time Bright.
Speaker 3: So long friends, it's time to go. Thanks for listening to our show. Tell your friends names uncles, and to listen to a show Ridiculous Rollmans