Speaker 1: Look already, Ola La, I'm Viosa and I'm Mala. Today we have an interview with Senator Sasha Renee Betiz of Ahambra Enjoy.
Speaker 2: Just got sworn in. This is your first year in office. Yeah as a senator. You were the mayor of Alhambra previously, But as a California State Senator, where is your drive to work? At one hundred and fifty percent coming from?
Speaker 3: I feel this deep sense of responsibility I think to my community, right. I mean, you know, I've been in the SGV my whole life, right, and I think being a kid that's that's from my community. And seeing the pain that we just went through with the fires, and seeing the pain that folks are going through now with this new federal administration, and having people approach me and say I'm depending on you and I'm scared about what this moment presents, really drives me to want to do more, to do every thing I can. I work seven days a week, NonStop, and I also love what I do, like very deeply, so it doesn't feel like work. Today is supposed to be my day off. I worked all day and I feel a real deep sense of commitment to the work.
Speaker 1: And tell us about the district you represent, the San Gabriel Valley and tell us about who your constituents are for anyone not familiar with that area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the SGV is a place that is so special to my heart, right outside of the City of Los Angeles. That includes communities like al hambram Honree Parks, and Gabriel, Rosemead Temple City that are predominantly API. You'll hear researchers sometimes refer to it as an Ethno burb because you have API folks that have basically created a suburb that is almost entirely you know, diverse, right, rather than kind of when you think about these suburbs, I think people tend to think of white folks, and this is a predominantly Asian American Pacific Islander community. And then you have the northern part of my district, right Altadena, Pasadena, which has recently gained a lot of tension, that has this huge historically black community. You have Latino communities all throughout parts of Pasadena, parts of Glendale, even parts of Alhambra, and in Glendale a huge Armenian community, one of the largest actually in the entire nation. So my district is one of the most diverse in the state. It's also one of the only districts that does not have one single racial majority. We're made up of a lot of different folks and I think that's what makes you know the area, the San Gabriel Valley so unique.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I want to remind our listeners that we had a guest Bianca maboute Luis who talked about Ethno Burbs and this is maybe during season nine, So I just want to kind of call back to that because you mentioned.
Speaker 2: It per book Unassimilable. Yes, yes, and very much writing about the retention of culture and language in the San Gabriel Valley.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how assimilation has not been the goal or the driving life force for those communities there. So I'm wondering, let's go back recap for our listeners. We did an interview with you during the pandemic when you became the mayor pro tem of al Hambra. Tell us about becoming mayor of Alhambra and then how that led you in one way or another to now you're holding office as California State Senator. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's crazy because that feels like eons ago now first running for office. You know, when I ran for the City of Alhambra to run for council, it was really at a point in my life when I think I felt really fed up and really angry. To be perfectly honest, I had just lost, you know, my cousin who had passed away after being chronically homeless for most of his life and the year before, and I think, through going to therapy and really reflecting on what that meant and the frustration I felt with the system, I came out of that saying, you know, I'd want to step out from being behind the scenes. I had worked in policy my whole life, and I want to start being the decision maker because I felt like those voices weren't represented at the table. And I saw the homelessness crisis, and I felt like it was so clear to me what was coming now. I could have never predicted that a pandemic was on its way that was certainly going to exacerbate the situation, and that's exactly what ended up happening. And so I started running in twenty twenty, and we'd go into shutdown mode, and all of a sudden, I have hundreds of people contacting me through my website saying I don't know how I'm going to pay my rent, I don't know how I'm going to pay for food. And it was like this shocking moment. I think I had prepared myself for people attacking me and calling me like me names, and I realized that that doesn't bug me at all. But when somebody looks you in the eye and says I'm depending on you because I don't know what's going to happen next, and I'm scared who that hits in a different way, and I suddenly felt I think that sense of responsibility I was talking about earlier, of like I don't just want to do this, I need to do this, and it just really kind of changed. I think everything for me and my campaign just became about mailers and other things, but answering people's questions that they had about tenant protections and learning all these different county and city and state laws that were getting passed so that I could better interpret to people the law. So i've and then I and I defeated the incumbent by sixty points. I mean, it was crazy, so to come out on the other side of that, and you know, and then to be in office and to be delivering for my community. And then all of a sudden we had the redistricting process happen and All Hambra got moved into the Senate district and people started talking with me about running for Senate. And I will be honest with you, I was like, these folks are not going to vote for me. I was like some you know, little brown renter girl from all Hambra, Like this is not They're not going to want to elect someone like me. And this group called Close the Gap, who's dedicated to electing women to office. They just kept on trying to convince me for almost a year, and they sat down and they'd show me data, and they'd bring me and sit me down to lunch and have me talk to consultants. And I was just like, I don't think that this is viable. And then I left to Chile and was in South America for a month and I just sat down and I thought about it, and I thought, if I don't try to do it, I'm going to wonder for the rest of my life what would have happened.
Speaker 1: Well, that's amazing. So what would you say, was like the deciding factor for you? Was it the months of like being courted, having this moment of like what if, Like was there more to it?
Speaker 3: I think I knew that there was still a lot of work to do at the state level. My background is actually in state policy, Like that's where I started doing a lot of my policy work, and there were so many things that I saw coming. I think the homelessness crisis was still something that I saw that there needed to be work done at the state level. But then you know, all of a sudden, from two point zero started to come right and what was that going to mean? You know, for the state of California to need to act as the resistance once again. And I think I really kind of felt like, Okay, I wanted to be a part of that no matter what happened, especially with the threats to education. I've worked in the education space for so long. Into immigration, there was so much that they wanted to do.
Speaker 1: There, don't go anywhere, lookomotives, We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: And we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 1: I'd love to take advantage of having you here and have you like debunk things we see online about the homelessness crisis in California, specifically in La County.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the homelessness crisis has really been something that's been created over time with a multitude of kind of bad policy decisions. Right, we slowed down on building housing. I mean that is really I think the crux of it. And when we slowed down on building housing and suddenly we had a housing shortage issue, but so many people still wanting to move to California, it drove up rent prices drastically. And the challenge that we're now facing is we've invested so much money into resolving homelessness, but we have a constant stream of folks that are falling into homelessness, and we really have no safety net to protect those folks that are right on the edge of poverty. You know, I was reading a study the other day and something like ninety two percent of folks that are homeless said that if they had just been given a housing voucher for one month's rent, that that would have prevented them from falling into homelessness. And so we have more and more people that are right there at the line because California's frankly become unaffordable and it's difficult for anybody to live here. So it is a constant challenge that we're in that as we're trying to house the current folks that are currently facing homelessness, we have this new stream of folks that are constantly falling into this situation. And now you know, the state is trying to rush to build more housing, is trying to rush to make sure that that process is streamlined. At the l local level, you have a lot of local cities that have refused to build new housing, refuse to build permanent supportive housing, and this has now become a crisis of multiple proportions. So it is it is going to take time. And I think that that's also the hard part. And even when we do start to make a measurable difference, because we're not doing anything to fix this pocket of folks that are constantly living on the edges, it's like an unresolvable issues. So you have to have a multifaceted approach. And you know, that's what I've been really focused on, is us trying to address just that. I think when we see on TV visually, the folks that are most interface and we see on news cycles about this is people that have addiction issues, right a mental health issues. Those folks need a whole different set of supports, whether it's through you know, Ala County DMH or you know Dragon Alcohol rehabilitation services. But most people who we don't often see on the streets, they're often living in their cars, they're sleeping on people's couches, and are families that are doing this. Those are the folks that you know, with a little bit of economic support, we could go and get them back into housing and make sure that they're not falling deeper into homelessness.
Speaker 2: It's the classic putting a band aid on a leak, right, it's just not stopping the leak. Yeah, And it's just such a multi layered issue. And I think in LA, especially if you're out and about, you can see when someone is like newly homeless, like they just you know, lost their housing. And I'm curious too about the folks that maybe you heard from back when you were starting to campaign.
Speaker 4: If you ever hear follow ups.
Speaker 2: From those folks, like folks who are struggling, folks who are looking looking for help and support with housing, with rent, what have you, What is that feedback loop, like do you hear from them again?
Speaker 4: Do you follow up with them?
Speaker 3: Like? What does that look like, yeah, a lot of folks, I'll run into them again, or I'll go check on them. There was one family in particular that I got very involved with when I was running for city council, and they were in a situation where their landlord had intentionally shut off the power and shut off the water in their building in order to try to force them out. Because if you remember, at the time, we had very heavy protections in place, right, so if you weren't able to pay your rent, you were basically held harmless. You couldn't be evicted. And so this landlord was essentially doing these illegal practices to try to force out the tenant. And the tenant that was there was a mother and her husband. Her husband was struggling with some major health issues along with her children when was in high school and another was in elementary school, and it was I mean, it was just shocking and unacceptable what was happening. So we reported the landlord to the Department of Public Health because it's a public health violation to do that. And I saw them, gosh, not too long ago, I want to say, like five or six months ago, and they had shared with me that they weren't living there anymore that they moved into another location. They obviously got tired of dealing with this person that was being very antagonistic towards them. But one of the things I think that's really important to me is when I go through that process with somebody, is to really educate them around their rights, right and empowering her as the mother as well as her as her two children to understand that they have rights and protections in that moment, and you know, in talking with her, that's what she was sharing with me. You know, I really appreciated you just empowering me to know that I have rights. I can fight back, right, I don't have to just accept what they're telling me. I have protections too. So it's you know, it's tough. I think we tried to do our best to help folks out. But you know, even in that situation, they've moved to a place that's now smaller, and maybe it's it might be tighter quarters, but you know, when when you're dealing with the landlord that's that aggressive and antagonistic, it's just it's not a healthy place for someone to live.
Speaker 2: So before we stepped into the studio, we were talking about the fact that almost immediately after you got sworn into office, the wildfires.
Speaker 4: The fires took place here.
Speaker 2: In LA and you were on the ground immediately and working in the community. And I'm wondering what that introduction was like for you, you know, to this office and having this huge disaster take place right away and just hitting the ground running.
Speaker 4: What was that experience like for you?
Speaker 3: It was so overwhelming. Oh my gosh, January was one of the hardest months of my life. I don't think I've ever experienced anything more more challenging. Oh my goodness. I started on January sixth, and the legislature and Sacramento and the fires happened on the evening of January seventh, and so you know, when I got that phone call, I didn't sleep that night. I was up until four in the morning in the office, and then I went back to my apartment. I napped for twenty minutes, and then I took the first flight back to LA And it was just like not knowing what I was walking into the bizarre nature of seeing a community that I know in love on fire. And then when I got back here on January eighth, we went to go and see the area and much of it was still on fire, so that was also bizarre too, because we couldn't get planes, you know, up into into the sky of helicopters rather to put out the flames because the winds were still very high at that point. But it was it was just so overwhelming and bizarre, and I think I just didn't really have a moment to process it, because if I think I would have processed it, I would have freaked out. So I just had to do it, and that was just it. I just had to jump right in and not think about it and be like, I'm this is work, I'm working, and let me just focus on on delivering for folks.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, Lokamotis.
Speaker 1: We'll be right.
Speaker 4: Back, and we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 1: That raises me to my really basic question that I have for you, because I think, like, as I go deeper into my career here with look at Dora and just being somewhat someone that's online and like very politically informed and tries to be really informed, there is a basic misunderstanding of like civic engagement and what elected officials can do and what they should do. So I want to ask you just a really basic question like what does a state senator do? Cause I feel like people might not even know what that is. You know, what does she What does the state center actually do?
Speaker 3: So we write laws for the state of California. To put it very simply, So anything that happens at the federal level, you know, I am not a US senator, so I have no jurisdiction over that. You know people have messaged me about like impeaching the president. That is not something that I have any jurisdiction over. So when we write laws, it is specifically for California and impacting all of California. So like a local city council member or a local mayor would be writing laws specifically for their city or their town, and for us, we have to think statewide whenever we're working on something and doing something.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's really important basic explainer for anybody, right, for anybody, so that you know where to go. Yeah, when you do have an issue, you save yourself the run around and go directly to the person, the office, the department that can do something for you, right, that can handle.
Speaker 4: What you need.
Speaker 2: Before we came into the studio, you were talking about a bill that you recently presented. Can you tell us more about that for our listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, as you know, you know, Elon Musk, Trump Doge have been just on this craze cycle of cutting everything and so many of the life saving services that we depend on, whether it's been Medicaid, you know, social Security. They're now talking about eliminating the Department of Education, They're talking about eliminating FEMA. And you know, I have heard from so many of my constituents that they want for me to fight back. You know, we're the state of California. We're the most powerful state in the nation. We can't allow this to happen. We give more of our federal tax dollars to the federal government than we receive back. So I've introduced a bill to withhold federal funding should the administration continue to cut life saving services. And part of the reason why I'm suggesting that we go that route is because at some point we're going to need to backfill those services, whether it's Medicaid, whether it's Social Security. I mean, this is presenting real policy and budget questions that we're now having to deal with, and it is about time for us to say no more. If you want to continue doing this, then we're going to have to hold on to our dollars because we have to continue to provide those services to our constituents to make sure that people are staying alive. And you know, this is my form of saying enough is enough. And what I've heard from my constituents is they're like, we don't know what we want you to do, but please just do something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, And I have a follow up question to that, because my lingering question, as all of the cuts have been made at the federal level, is how does that not affect like unemployment at the state level, And is that something that you're also seeing and maybe like with one of the implications of like then the budget constraints, or then how does this fill out into or spill over into the state of California.
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, absolutely, I mean that is part of what is driving If you've seen some of the news recently, the County of La is facing a budget crisis, the City of La is facing a budget crisis. If you saw you know, headlines just a couple of months ago, right after the fires happen, the state government invested two point five billion dollars into the La wildfires, both Palisades and Eton. And what that helps to cover is all of those fire trucks you saw coming from all over the state of California and even outside of the state. Those firefighters need to get paid for their time, all the resources that were used, whether it was city or county resources. That's to help cover and foot the bill for that. We're depending on FEMA to reimburse us for that. So if you were to eliminate that department, if we're not to not receive those dollars, that has huge impact on the state budget. So many of our local communities depend on Medicaid for example, you know, cutting that that cuts those folks out of health care. These are huge, huge, huge items, and you know, we have multiple lawsuits moving forward. The attorney generals joined together with other states to sue the federal government. But if any of these things were to go through and continue moving forward, we are going to be in a real, real crisis. And I really want to emphasize that. My hope is that you'll have other states begin to speak up and say we can't do this. I mean, if they're to eliminate FEMA, it's not just California that takes the hit. Kentucky just went through one of the biggest floods that they've seen in the last twenty five thirty years. Their folks are relying on FEMA too, So it's not just a California issue. It is all of us.
Speaker 1: Right. And then with the changes of the climate crisis that we're in, we can only expect more natural disasters in across the nation.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, absolutely, We're in March. Well, we're now about to enter into April. Think about that. I mean, we still have several months of the year left. And that is the scary part is we could be in for more climate disasters, more natural disasters that we don't know that are coming, and it might not be California. It could be another state.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The bill that you've presented about withholding federal funding and to be clear, this is funding that California pays to the federal government. Yes, it's not the other way around. Yes. Have you gotten good feedback on this bill? Have you gotten pushed back on this bill? What has the response been after you presented it?
Speaker 3: So we introduced this four days ago, so it's still relatively new. But I have talked with some constituents about it, because I've spoken to a couple of groups over the last several days, and the response that I've gotten from constituents is overwhelmingly, this is the exact direction and that we want to see are elected officials going, We want to know that these critical services are going to be covered, if not for me, then for my friend, my neighbor, my family member. And this is a kind of response that I think folks need in this moment.
Speaker 1: So earlier you shared that there is not necessarily a consensus between the Democratic Party and maybe a certain stance that Democrats should be taking right now, but you're taking a clear stance right and it's a pretty big one. You're saying, like, we're going to withhold our federal dollars that we pay to the federal government. Is that something that you think could be a model? And also like what could like if you could waive a magic wand what do you think the Democrats should be doing or could be doing differently?
Speaker 3: So, oh, my goodness, so many things. And let me also say too, I think one of the things that's really interesting about this moment is Democrats have suffered one of the biggest losses that we've seen in some time right in this election, and so you see the party kind of struggling to figure out, like where do we go in this moment? And so, you know, my ideas and the thoughts that I have could be very different than any single one of my colleagues. But I'm of the perspective that, you know, this moment is calling upon us to fight back. I really love seeing what AOC and Bernie Sanders are doing, traveling across the country, going to red states, rallying folks and calling out what is happening. I think that's something that's so critical for us to do in this moment as Democrats, is for us to be truth tellers and to say that you have billionaires that are coming in and trying to buy and purchase our government. That's what this is about at the end of the day. And these cuts are being made to give them bigger tax cuts. You had FAA employees be fired, and now Starlink is being considered. Elon Musk's own company is being considered to backfill that, like he basically set it up so that he could sign another contract with the federal government. That's insane. We're watching these things happen in real time. You have the President of the United States doing a car show for Tesla on the White House lawn. This is unacceptable. These folks are treating our government, our federal government, like their own personal piggy bank, and as somebody that's a renter, as someone that's working class that grew up in a union household. How I feel about it is hell no. We have to fight back and call it out and push back on them. Why would we allow for democracy to unravel before our very eyes? I mean, it is absurd to me. And when I talk to my voters that is how they feel. They feel just as infuriated as I do. And I'll be honest, even folks that are independent and even some Republicans. So that is my perspective. I think we need to get out there. We need to go to conservative areas, and we need to be who we've always been. The Democratic Party seems to be trying to find its sole. We know who we are. We are the party of the working class. We are a diverse party who invites everyone in and when somebody doesn't fit at our table, we make it longer and we bring another seat. We do not cut people out and demonize people in order to get results. We can get results without demonizing people. So, you know, I'm so frustrated and enraged in this moment, and I think that that's what folks want us to capture. They want to meet us, to meet that energy and to fight back for them.
Speaker 2: Beautiful and all that note, Right, Like, let's talk about immigration, because talk about demonizing people and blaming people for problems and misplacing blame. Right, Let's talk about immigration and what you're seeing on that side of things in office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's oh my goodness, it is a scary time. I think the thing that's been so frustrating to me too, is this immigration issue intersects so much with what the fires did in Alta, Dina, right, because you had this huge Latino population that was an Altadena. Many of those folks were undocumented. And so I've lost my home, I've lost everything, I've lost my job. And then January twentieth comes and Trump is sworn into office and is trying to make good on all of his promises to deliver mass deportations, and so you have folks that are scared to even ask for help. You know, what we've been doing FEMA workshops on a regular basis over the last seven eight weeks now, and we will regularly connect with folks that are living out of their cars because they're too scared to get help, even if they are documented, because maybe they have a family member who's undocumented and they think that putting themselves on a list might put their other family member at who doesn't have papers. That is so heartbreaking to me. And you know, we've seen just whether it's at our schools. You know, we're seeing Adya loss, students not coming to school because their parents are scared to send them. They're scared that their kids will be taken. They're scared that they might be taken and their kids might be left at school by themselves. So it is impacting every fabric of our society, and even with work as well. You know, I've heard from folks that work in the ad business. After January twentieth, they had like half of their workforce just completely disappear. So we're going to start seeing the ripple effects of this. We already are. But you know, for the folks that are not moved by the argument that this is inhumane, this is also bad economic policy, and it will take some time, but we're going to start to see the results of that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for providing some of that background in that context as to how the fires fascerrated this immigration policy that we're seeing at the federal level. The city of la is also a sanctuary city, but there's also you know a lot of back and forth with the federal government right and wanting to go after sanctuary cities. I saw that you've also been leading workshops like how is your office also providing that information for your constituents about their legal rights, whether they're undocumented or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we have been having regular Our workshops are really centered more around the fireed but we do workshops in Spanish so that we're able to answer questions that folks have, you know, around immigration as well. We partner with Cheerleve really heavily on this, so Cheerless President at all of the workshops that we've been hosting, and that's it's you know, been very helpful for folks. I think we've serviced something like almost a thousand residents over that time period. We're going to start doing virtual workshops as well, because we know that's a big need. There's some folks that have questions around their immigration status or what to do if ICE does approach. But they feel most comfortable participating in a virtual format rather than coming in person. So we'll be doing that as well with the Attorney General.
Speaker 2: So yeah, to kind of shift the tone a little bit as we are, you know, walking through this interview with you, have.
Speaker 4: They been nice to you at the State Senate?
Speaker 2: Like newly sworn in, young, Latina, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Let's have that conversation now, let's have the representation conversation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you are the youngest senator in California and the youngest woman serving in California legislator. So do you like, do you feel that you know what I mean? Like, is that something that you're feeling when you're walking through the state capital the halls?
Speaker 4: What's tea?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it is definitely something I feel. I would say that my colleagues have all been in credit supportive, right. I think even if they didn't know who I was, they kind of had a crash course and figuring out who I was because I was suddenly ultra ultra present because of the fires. Right, So they've all been wonderful and just making sure that I'm doing okay and checking in and trying to give me the supports that I need. And our leadership in particular, the President pro Tem of the Senate, Mike Maguire, has been incredible. I mean I think he called me almost every day in January and the evenings, would even just sit on the phone with me as I cried, and you know, that was just like really really powerful, and I think I just so needed that in those moments. And he's been through three fires, so he really has He represents the North Coast, really has a strong understanding of what it is like to go through something like this. But I will say I think for other folks, right, so as the fires were happening, I did so many press conferences I lost count because there was such this desire for information. But I'd show up sometimes to a press conference or you know, to a meeting, and then people look at me and they're like, it's so great you're here. Where's the Senator, you know, And I'm like, I'm actually the Senator, And then the look of like shock and horror on their face, right, because I'm I'm not an old white guy in a suit, so it catches people off guard, but I'm so used to it. I got the same reactions when I was in Alhambra too, so and it's always it's always kind of funny to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I may, you're like a very beautiful, petite senator with fabulous.
Speaker 4: Hair, so.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I would also be like, wait, this is our senator. Wait a second, I'm sorry, if I.
Speaker 4: May senate, it's time.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you had young women ask you for count soul, for advice about running for office?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, all the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: What kind of questions do do women have for you? And what do you tell them?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. I mean, I everything everything from dating to balancing, like work life balance to you know, what do I do when I'm sitting in a room and I'm feeling intimidated? How do I go about fundraising? How do I go about endorsements? What do I do when someone's man'splaining? I mean, literally everything that you could imagine. I've been asked, and I'll be honest, I don't always have like a super great specific answer for all of those questions. I sometimes I think you just kind of have to figure it out on your own. But it's just this crazy process of kind of like trusting your gut and going through it and faking it till you make it and you know and and and then you just if I if I spent I try not to spend too much time thinking about the position I'm in because it kind of freaks me out a little bit. When I first got elected, you know, I remember I was sitting in my office and I was typing on my computer and I heard one of my staff answer the phone and she went Senator Soshohony Perez's office, speaking and I heard her do that, and I was like, oh my god, oh my god, like, oh my god, so hard. I'm like freaked me with you know, It's like it just trips you out a little bit. So I just try to do the work. Sometimes I tell my chief, like on days when I'm feeling very like insecure and kind of questioning, you know, just feeling that sense of and forgetting the word for it. Is it imposter I'm feeling imposter syndrome. I like joking me tell my chief. I'm like in my head, I just tell myself, like I work for you, like I'm not, you know, I work for you, and I'm just like I'm not actually the senator because like it can it's just a little bit trippy sometimes. I bet, I bet.
Speaker 1: And there's two questions that you said you've been asked that I want to go back to. And the first one is about do you ever walk into a room or have like a bill that you're gonna present and feel intimidated? And if you do, you know, is there maybe like an inner dialogue or like affirmations? What do you do when you do you talk to yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my gosh. And I feel I feel intimidated all the time. I feel insecure all the time. I mean human, you know the folks I talk to that are like I never feel a friend. I'm like, that is so good for you, that's amazing. I don't I don't know what that's like, but great, you know. I I just try to hype myself up. My staff laughs, but to hype myself up for things. I'll like play Doughci or Grilla and love it and we'll just like sing at the top of my lungs. I also try to prep as much as possibly. I think prepping helps me feel really good, and you know, reading through like research and you know, thinking about what I want to say and kind of like taking notes and giving myself like a moment to reflect, and that always helps me feel like prepared, which I think helps me to also feel confident. But oh my gosh, I question myself, you know, all the time, So I think that that's just normal.
Speaker 1: Batties have bad days too, Yeah, yes, of course, of course we've all been there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's really affirming to hear that, because you know, I think there's like our senators, our representatives are like not superhuman, you know, and I do think there's a lot I mean rightfully, so there's pressure, right because they're representing a lot of people, but at the same time they're also only human. But you know, also to keep with this light tone, I want to ask you now about dating, and in the sense like can you date when you're a state senator? Right, Like the time constraints and also the privacy, right, Like, yeah, we don't have to get into the weeds of like if you're dating, but like, is it even possible to date right now?
Speaker 3: It's really really difficult, and the schedule makes it so that it's like just super super challenging. And in addition to that, I've there are so many guys that get very intimidated. I met someone just recently that my friend had introduced me to and we're having a like conversation and he was like, oh, so you work for a senator and Sacramento. That's so cool. And I was like, oh, I'm like looking at him, like am I going to say this? And I was like, I'm I'm I'm the senator. I don't work for the senator, And like the look on his face was just like like, you know, just totally stunned. And that happens a lot. And then you get like fans as well, which is like a strange thing to navigate. So I don't know. I've joked with others elected officials that are women who I've met from all across the country and we're like, we almost need like a self help group for this because it is really really difficult.
Speaker 2: So when AOC was first elected and on the scene, and you saw the way that the public treated her, the criticism, the cartoons, you know, the way that she was I mean, the racism, all of that, did that come into your mind at all when you thought about yourself and this journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, absolutely talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous about that and what that would be like. And now that I'm here, I could tell you that that doesn't really bug me at all. I've been called every name in the book. When I was first selected to council, there was one individual wh used to harass me a lot, who's now a supporter, I might say, which is also very funny, but used to call me a little girl all the time. I've had people call me a communist and all the curse words that you can think of, and I don't know, it just didn't I don't want to say it didn't phaze me, but it didn't affect me the way that I thought it that it was going to. But you know, as I mentioned before, just having folks tell me like I'm depending on you, like I don't know how I'm gonna feed my kids, and like I really need you to help me, and I think that you can help me. I think that you have the answer. Oh my goodness, that like that weighed on me in a way that I didn't anticipate it would. But the hateful comments are kind of like, okay, whatever, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, they come with the territory. It sounds like it's part of the job. You almost expect expect for it to happen. I'm wondering if there's an issue that you really want to work on during your term that is just like really important to you at your core, or maybe something that we don't really think about a lot or talk about a lot.
Speaker 3: Before the fires happened. I think the two things that I was really excited about was working on policy around education, so making sure that we're improving, you know, literacy rates for black and brown kids, and we're seeing more in black and brown kids go on to college and to university and you know, realize whatever their dream career may be, and that that was something that was really important and special to me. I chair the I'm the Chair of Senate Education for the Senate, and so it's a huge committee and I'm really honored to be in that leadership role. But that decision was made to appoint me there in December, so it was right before the fires happened, So that was really I think a big focus of mine. And then obviously, you know, life throws curve balls, so this has now taken precedent, but that's definitely at the forefront of my mind as well as the homelessness crisis. I think the housing and homelessness is going to continue to be a huge issue. The rent here in California is too damn high and it is near impossible for any one of us to survive.
Speaker 1: So well, thank you so much, Senator for joining us today. This has been such an incredible conversation, and yeah, thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: Any parting words for constituents that might be listening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if anybody needs assistance, if they're looking for help or resources, if they have questions, please reach out to my office. You can head to our website and there's a request form directly there. Reach out to me anytime. I'm available on social media. All of my social media Sacherine Perez and if you send me a message reach out, I will do my best to get back to you. The official pages are Senator SRP. My team manages those, so I'm happy to have folks submit anything that they need.
Speaker 4: There as well.
Speaker 3: We're here to help them serve and that's what we do all day long.
Speaker 1: Look at Otter Radio is executive produced by THEOSFM and Mala Munios.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Franco is our.
Speaker 1: Producer, story editing by me viosa.
Speaker 4: Creative direction by me Mala.
Speaker 1: Look At Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michaultura podcast network.
Speaker 2: You can listen to look at Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 2: And thank you to our lok A motes, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 1: Besitos