Speaker 1: I made this cake because of my own kid. He was just obsessed with Ninjago at the time, so I had to get it right.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: People used to ask me, how many times do you practice before you make it on YouTube? And the answer is zero. And most of the cakes on YouTube I had never made before. I can't even explain how I did it. Even takes on my own channel, I find myself going back and watching.
Speaker 3: How do I do that?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: This is Yolanda Gamp, one of the most famous cake artists on the internet. Yolanda turns everything you see into a cake. Ready to get your finger sticky? We are, because in this episode, we're going to learn the secrets behind turning anything you dream of into a delicious dessert. Welcome to Growing Up, a Lingo kids podcast, so it helps kids discover how to be whatever they want to be. Join us on an epic adventure to uncover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies, and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams. In today's episode, we're diving into a whirlwind of creativity, exploring the world of the most spectacular cakes you have ever seen, and meeting the enchanting cake artists who make the magic happen. Let's get inspired by the wonders of cake artistry. Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, Dear Louise.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's me, Happy birthday to you.
Speaker 3: Now make a wish and blow out the candle. Louise, Yeah, okay, Louise, you can do this.
Speaker 2: I wish I could time travel. Yeay.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Louise. Do you like your cake?
Speaker 2: I love it, Emily. A good night always needs a good birthday cake.
Speaker 3: Of course, that's why our friends at the Go Forward Labs made it with the sugar castle over the chocolate cake and this fierce green dragon biting the castle.
Speaker 2: Raw raw raw. I love its fangs and the red eyes.
Speaker 3: It looks so real, Emily, it really does. And you know who we're gonna play our game show with today, Louise A very famous cake artist. Her name is Yolanda gamp Wow.
Speaker 2: But Emily, what he's a cake artist? Is it someone who makes strawings of cakes?
Speaker 3: Well not exactly sure. They can start by drawing their cakes, but they actually make very beautifully and carefully designed cakes for all sorts of special occasions.
Speaker 2: Oh like birthdays.
Speaker 3: Yes. Cake artists are just so creative with their designs, and they're so talented that they make you wonder whether you're actually looking at cake or something else.
Speaker 2: Hmm, what do you mean by that, Emily?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's see take your shoe off. Oh what you'll see in a second.
Speaker 2: Okay there, now what? Okay?
Speaker 3: Now, imagine that you're not looking at a shoe, but a cake, A cake so well done that it looks like your actual shoe.
Speaker 2: Does this cake smell like my shoe too? No? No, no, no, then I love it.
Speaker 3: Imagine it's made with these same things as a cake, chocolate and oh maybe vanillas, sprinkles, some fruit. Maybe each shoelace is made of white icing.
Speaker 2: That sounds so good. I want some kind of chewy but not bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, our very special guest, Yolanda Gamp can make the cake of your dreams.
Speaker 2: Wow. Can Yolanda turn anything she wants into a cake?
Speaker 3: She sure can.
Speaker 2: Can she make a pencil cake?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: A dinosaur cake? M h even a pencil dinosaur cake, you know, half pencil, half dinosaur.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure. Yes, cake artists can bake things that can look like just a basket full of vegetables, or a football, or a book, a doll or maybe even your dog Maxie.
Speaker 2: Oh, Maxie would love to have a cake of himself. It could be a chocolate one because it's furs brown. But then I wonder if max would want to eat a cake with himself on it.
Speaker 3: I guess he'll have to pause before eating it.
Speaker 2: See what you did there? So when are we meeting Yolanda? Emily?
Speaker 3: Actually today, Louise?
Speaker 2: Yes, can't wait to start the game show.
Speaker 3: Just a second, Louise, because I got a birthday present for you?
Speaker 2: Really for me? What is it? What is it?
Speaker 3: How about a little time traveling so we can get some cake history right before we meet Yolanda.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Where's our go forward cube? That should do the job?
Speaker 2: Thanks in your office, Emily.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, let's go get it. You ready, Louise, good night.
Speaker 2: It's always a good time traveler.
Speaker 3: Oh ow ooh ow good thing needs lushy sweets. We're here to catch us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really sticky. They taste great.
Speaker 3: Ooh you're right, Louise. Hmmm, tastes like nuts and honey. I have more, sure, But let's get out of this pile first and find out where we are. Oh, okay, there's one foot there. We go. Let me help you out, Louise.
Speaker 2: Thanks, come on my foot too. Oh, Emily, I'm superdo berg. Sure these are cakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're definitely cakes, but since we crashed right on top of them now, they're more like pancakes, not a glue one. Be careful what you walk on, Louise.
Speaker 2: There are.
Speaker 3: Lots of candles on the floor.
Speaker 2: Ouch you okay, I'm okay. But why there's so many candles everywhere? Oh? Someone must know it's my birthday.
Speaker 3: I think we're way before you and I were born, Louise, like dinosaur, way back almost. Oh that's interesting, Louise. Do you see all those people going into the giant white building over there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are they wearing bed sheets over them?
Speaker 3: I think they're wearing robes and they look happy.
Speaker 2: Let's tell them it's my birthday today.
Speaker 3: Wait for me, Louise.
Speaker 2: Wow, I feel so small next to these very tall columns.
Speaker 3: Watch out, Louise. Looks like people are bringing more cakes into this place. We don't want to interrupt them.
Speaker 2: But Emily, the cakes have lit candles on them. Tould you it must be a.
Speaker 3: Birthday, honeycakes, candles. It's also a full moon tonight. Oh I get it. Now we're in ancient Greece. This is a cell lebration for Artemis, the goddess of the moon. This building is her temple.
Speaker 2: Whoa, there's a goddess of the moon. But wait, Emily, what does the moon have to do with cakes? They're both frowned. I guess.
Speaker 3: Actually, yes, you see, the ancient Greeks made round cakes with honey and nuts in them to honor the goddess Artemis.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's why those cakes are so good, exactly.
Speaker 3: And they also put candles to light up the cake and make it shine just like the actual moon.
Speaker 2: Oh so birthday cakes are like full moons. But I have a question. Why don't we blow out the candles? Then that makes the cake not look like the moon anymore.
Speaker 3: Good point, Louise. Blowing out candles and asking for a wish actually comes from a popular belief.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 3: People thought that smoke from candles carried prayers up to the gods like Artemis.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why the ancient Greeks are carrying the cake with candles into the temple right now. So the candles smoke can reach the goddess of the moon.
Speaker 2: I bet the Greeks always wished from no more school.
Speaker 3: Ever, is that what a good night would actually wish for?
Speaker 2: Though? I don't know. But Emily, now that we know where cakes come from, I want to know more about cakes today. I mean in my today and your today, not right now in ancient Greece today.
Speaker 3: Okay, are you saying what I think you're saying, Louise.
Speaker 2: Well, if it includes asking Yolanda about her cakes, then yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, perfect, let's do that.
Speaker 2: And what about the game show I'll Bake a Cake Trivia?
Speaker 3: Oooh, sounds delicious. Here we go. Welcome to our up talking game show. I'm Emily, and this is Louis, your host. Say hi, Louis.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, I'm Louise. You're a well mannered. Night for tonight, I mean your host.
Speaker 3: And our guest tonight is the amazing cake artist Yolanda Gamp. Yolanda started her YouTube channel by making cakes right out of her own garage while her mom helped watch her new baby. Yolanda had no idea her baking adventure would turn into something so awesome. She has made people all around the world fall in love with cake artistry just like her. Yolanda has her own baking channel. She's a judge of a super big cooking show, and her sweet masterpieces are all over the internet. Please welcome her to grow enough. Welcome to the show, Yolanda. First, we're gonna start with a short conversation, and I'm pretty sure that it is going to have many layers to it.
Speaker 1: I see why you did that, and I like it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Yolanda, you can make any cake you want, from a car to a watermelon, a mountain, or even a book. What do you like making most?
Speaker 1: I love making objects, or especially food items, things that people recognize easily and connect with. I love to make the cake version of those items. A guitar or a box of big box of Kraft dinner with a pot of macaroni and cheese, or a giant baseball cap, things of those nature.
Speaker 2: A real sized cake guitar. I bet it tastes better than it sounds. Yum.
Speaker 3: It sounds like this guy is really the limit with your imagination. Let's go back to the basics. Then, how did you get into baking cakes?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I didn't really know a lot about cake artists specifically when I was growing up. But I did love baking and I have a sweet tooth, but I was also really into art. I went to culinary school here in Toronto, and I loved the experience. I asked the dean if I could do my co op placement at a bakery, and he thankfully said yes. So I now realized, looking back, that was a very bold move and that he changed the course of my life.
Speaker 2: So I started to.
Speaker 1: Work in a bakery. They gave me the chance to work at every single station, from you know, pies to cookies, and when I got to cake decorating, that's where I truly fell in love. They weren't the type of cakes like I make now. They were just you know, round cakes of different flavors, iced in different ways, and I just wanted to do more and more, and in the meantime, it started to make cakes on the side in my mom's kitchen when I worked at a bakery, and that was back in two thousand and one, so it's been a very long time, and.
Speaker 3: That makes me wonder, what is the most amazing cake you've made so far?
Speaker 1: I made this cake because of my own kid, who was five at the time he's now ten, he was a huge Lego enthusiast. So I decided to make Lloyd, who's the lead character in Lego Ninjago like. He was just obsessed with Ninjogo at the time, So I had to get it right. But now I have, you know, my son at my side, and he.
Speaker 3: Knows Lloyd better than anyone.
Speaker 1: So I needed to build up the legs. Then I had to sort of recarve the torso of Lloyd to make sure it fits perfectly. Then I had to make the arms and the heads and of course his head. And I have to say I loved Lego as a child. As you can see from my work, I love building things.
Speaker 2: Wow, I never thought that building cakes was just like building Legos. I guess they both used blocks, but one's made.
Speaker 3: A cake, That's right, Louise. That brings me to something else I'm curious about, Yulanda. Did you do any other cartoon characters for your son?
Speaker 1: So there has been you know, Lego, Lloyd, there has been SpongeBob, there's been his roadblocks, Avatar, there's been a Minecraft Tea and t Block. You know, as soon as he's done one bird cake, he's already telling me what he wants next year.
Speaker 3: He is just the luckiest boy, isn't he? And all those cakes sound so fun to make, but quite challenging too, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Even with as many years as I have, which is now twenty seven years of practice, cakes still make me nervous at the end of the day. If you're trying to control food, a lot of things can go wrong, and there are a lot of things that you cannot control. But the mistakes that come with baking really aren't that bad, so there's nothing to be afraid of. You can have so much fun and make so many different variations. It feels like to me, it feels like play.
Speaker 3: And this brings me to the last and most important question of all. What makes you happy about being a cake artist?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: This is These are great questions. My favorite thing about being a cake decorator would be to see my client's reactions, especially when I made cakes for younger kids or teens, because they would just get so excited and to see their vision come to life, or if it was something their parents had chosen for them and it was a surprise to them. Either way, I always love to see their reaction. The number of people I met who said You've inspired me to be creative again, even if it's not in the vein of cake. It's just really heartwarming. So that makes me feel really good. It makes me feel really proud.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for chatting with us today, Yolanda.
Speaker 2: That was so inspiring, Emily. Now I want to try all sorts of cake ideas, like a spaceship.
Speaker 3: Yes, Louise, that's because cake artists inspire so many people to use their imagination and try new things.
Speaker 2: New things like the pencil dinosaur cake.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So now it's your turn, Louise, Ready to lead the game show?
Speaker 2: Super ready? Okay, rules are I'll make a question, give some possible answers, and Yolanda has to guess the right one.
Speaker 3: Ooh this sounds good. Off you go.
Speaker 2: First question, how tall was the tallest cake ever made in the whole wide world? A thirteen meters, B twenty three meters, C thirty three meters or D forty three meters.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get WHOA they all have threes. I don't think guess thirty three. It's a pure guess, defectually correct thirty three meters tall.
Speaker 2: It was like six lords tall. Question two, what shape do you think the tallest cake in the world had? Hand alert, It's the shape that you can find in a very important holiday worldwide.
Speaker 1: A candle.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, Yolanda, it was actually a cake shaped like a Christmas tree. It was made to celebrate the holidays in the city of Jakarta that's in Indonesia.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. The fact that it was Indonesia and they built this in heat is just mind blowing to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question for tonight's trivia number three? What are three ingredients that all cakes must have to be a cake?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I feel like this is controversial now because I mean, there's all types of vegan baking. But if it was me, if it was me a butter, I.
Speaker 2: Think the right answer could also be flour, sugar, and baking powder.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, so no that you're right, though, You're right, those three things are great.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks so much for playing with us today, Yolanda.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling? Louise?
Speaker 2: And I thought the feeding dragons was hard, but this was intense and super fun.
Speaker 3: Do you want to have another piece of your birthday cake?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah, that's my duty as birthday Luise?
Speaker 3: And what did you learn from cake artists today?
Speaker 2: Louise, Cake artists can turn anything they can think of into super cool cakes. They get to be creative every day and they make people super happy. Oh and being a cake artist takes a lot of curiosity in practice, but it's always fun.
Speaker 3: You got it. Thanks for tagging along on this episode of Growing Up all about the fascinating lives of cake artists. It was a blast. I cannot wait to see who we're going to meet next time. Remember, little listener, dream big, and always stay curious.
Speaker 2: Luis, are you.
Speaker 3: Ready for more adventure?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: There's more, so much more. There's loads to explore on the world's number one kids learning app, Lingo Kids. It has tons of videos, games and podcasts just like this one, and every single one is fun and educational. Download The Lingo Kids up today for free.
Speaker 1: Navaa Danska save is Siberdays by Bakramo