Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome back, Carol Marcowitz show on iHeartRadio. Clay Travis, he of the Clay Travis and Buck Sexton podcast network that this show is on, highlighted a new study about happiness, and he pointed out that the happiness index has hit an all time low and that that number is largely driven by young people.
Speaker 2: The United States overall happiness index, to the extent that they track, this hit a all time low, and it's being driven by people under the age of thirty. And I would bet that it's women under the age of thirty overwhelmingly who are unhappy. And I think it's hard not to believe at this point that all of this isn't directly connected to social media. I mean, if you go look at the charts overall mental health rates. Now certainly COVID didn't help, but overall mental health rates just collapsed about twenty fourteen when social media became prevalent in everybody's lives. Yeah, and I think we're going to find out that this is like the nicotine or cigarettes of our generation, where we allowed these phones and these social media apps, particularly for young people, to really kind of lead us astray in terms of our life's pursuit.
Speaker 1: Now, he's right that it's the phones. But people who have been listening to the show for a while know what I'm going to challenge here. It's not the social media. There is no social media anymore. It used to be that teenagers would get depressed because their friends would share pictures on Facebook or Instagram of the amazing weekend they had and maybe didn't include them. Or they'd see their friends living amazing lives, filtered pictures, great vacations, perfect babies, all of that. That's just not what's happening on the internet anymore. That's not what the kids are watching. We're just all watching TV all the time. It might not be half hour or hour episodes, but these young people are just scrolling through hours of videos. And I said this last time, in the last episode about the girl, the mom wrote in to me about her daughter who doesn't seem to have a social life, and I said, you know, we'd recognize depression if I told you someone watches ten hours of TV a day. But because they do it in bite size, you know, pieces, and they carry it around with them on their phone, we don't see how bad it is. Social media has nothing social about it, and I think we need to see exactly what the problem is in order to fix it. We have to think of it like a little TV we carry around. We have to understand how damaging it is to be that distracted all the time. Just imagine when there were no phones. If every time you were in an awkward interaction, you just turned your television on. When you're out, you don't see people taking selfies with their friends anymore. Instead, you still might see like a full on photo shoot, hapless man shooting his girlfriend from all different angles. She's a content creator, fine, but there's nothing social about that. And look at least her content is a break from the videos. Instagram, by the way, now offers bonuses for creator accounts that post photos because so few of them do that. It would be something else entirely if young people were still posting pictures of their lunches or their parties or whatever. But they're not. They're just zombiefied watching TV all the time. There's no way happiness levels will increase until we solve that. Thanks for listening. Coming up next an interview with Selena Zito. Join us after the break. Welcome back to the Carol Marcowitch Show on iHeartRadio. My guest today is Selena Zito. Selena is a Washington Examiner reporter and author of the upcoming book Butler. Hi, Selena is so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Hi there, how are you?
Speaker 1: We were just talking offline about how insane it is that we've never met in real life. But I've been a Selna Zito fan like much of the country for a long long time now, and I just think you're fantastic and everything you do is like full of joy and happiness and you're wonderful. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. I'm everybody's grandma.
Speaker 1: No people really, actually everybody's bestie.
Speaker 4: For it's basically the food. Then they maybe read me, but basically the food. I have to tell your listeners though, that I thought you gave me a homework assignment and I obeyed because you told me.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you phrased itel Like I said.
Speaker 1: Here are the three questions I ask all my guests, and my listeners will know that a lot of the time, the guests won't read the emails, and you'll be able to tell because they'll just be deer in headlights. When I ask them kind of, you know, a big question and like what do you worry about? And they're like what where did this come from? But Selena sent me back the answers, which was the cutest thing ever. I said, no, no, we're going to talk about it on the show and she said, oh, I thought you gave me a homework assignment, which she then did. She finished the homework assignment, she was like, all right, I have homework. What am I going to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was late though, Like if it was true homework, I would have answered it that night, but in my zeal to be a perfect progressister, I.
Speaker 3: Sent it to you the night before.
Speaker 1: It was great. I did not read your answers because I want to be surprised.
Speaker 3: I on't even remember them.
Speaker 1: So the questions will be brand new either way, right, brand new? So how did you get into this world? I know a little bit about your story, but you really hit the national scene in twenty sixteen writing pieces that I think nobody else was doing anything close to. You. Were doing this crazy thing where you went out and you talked to regular people and ask them what they thought, and that was really groundbreaking. So tell us about your path.
Speaker 3: So I got into this accidentally, and sort of the old fashioned way, the way journalists used to be years ago, at local newspapers where they were members of the community, and most of them didn't have college degrees, but they had good writing skills, they had good people instincts, and they were able to turn a phrase pretty well.
Speaker 4: And that's basically all I had. And I also had experiences as a hairdresser, as a waitress, and most importantly as a soccer and football mom and hockey mom. So you know, I came into the game late. I was in my mid furies when I went back to work. I was mostly a stay at a home mom at that point. And they worked for the local newspaper, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. But the owner of the paper's name was Richard Mellon'scaife. He had a very nationally well known name, one of the richest men in the country, from a very old family, the Mellon family, who owned all the melon banking, and he had a really keen interest in national news. And I don't know what he saw in me, but he saw my ability to listen to people and to be able to tell a decent story. And so he said, do you want to cover national politics, and I'm like, all right, and I did, and.
Speaker 3: I learned pretty darn quickly. I was there for twenty years. I did this for twenty years, covering local and national politics and culture, and I learned pretty quickly. I think it was the John Kerry campaign or the maybe it was the Obama campaign. I can't remember. I knew very quickly that I did not belong on the campaign bus, like I just didn't not belong there. I remember calling it. It happened. Maybe it was Carrie. I don't know, I can't remember.
Speaker 4: I'm old.
Speaker 6: I just remember calling my boss from a pave phone, yeah in Scranton, Pennsylvania, saying I can't go on this bus any longer.
Speaker 3: All I am doing is spending time with other reporters, and they're all like, I have the same mindset. They're not from Pennsylvania. They don't kind of understand our quirkiness. And I'm not having any interaction with voters because they when you're in the press bus.
Speaker 7: You don't get to talk to people. I'm like, I'm writing crap. So he said, okay, just come home, and and in typical Selena fashion, I told the bus to just keep going without me. And then I was like, oh, wait a minute, I'm I gonna get know. SAT randomly rent.
Speaker 4: A car, and from that moment on, I only drove to whatever I was covering.
Speaker 3: And I've driven driven to every state. I've even been to Alaska. And I used to fly to.
Speaker 4: Events, but flying then became ridiculous because I live in a city where there's no hub, so therefore you had to make like thirteen different connecting flights, and you would miss one of them because one was late.
Speaker 3: And so I just started driving. So when I interviewed Governor DeSantis, I drove to Florida. But in that stretch, I got seventeen other really good stories, right and and and I always take back roads, they don't take turnpikes or interstates, because that's where you can see how places have changed for the better or for the worse, and you can understand why people vote the way they do.
Speaker 1: That is so amazing. I had no I did not know the driving thing. I always felt like your writing was you were trying to get to the bottom of what people really thought and where they really lived. And you always treat every place with such respect, And I think that that's you know, so beautiful, but I didn't know you were driving the back roads to get those stories. That's incredible.
Speaker 4: My first Jeep had four hundred thousand miles. It was fourteen years old. I'm on my second one and I just passed two hundred and seventy thousand. So yeah, but you know that's where the best stories are. I can't if I take the interstate. That's no different than flying right. When you pull over to get gas, it's like the same gas station and the same McDonald's. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's no depth of perception of understanding why people vote the way they do. And that's why I understood in twenty sixteen and Trump was going to win. But I actually called this this conservative populist coalition that was forming in two thousand and six during those mid terms, and interestingly enough, it was when Republicans were losing to Democrats, and I was like, what's going on here? And it was this really interesting intersection where and Rob Emanuel, who was then in charge of the d Triple C and recruiting candidates, he picked candidates that were pro life, pro gun, were fiscally responsible. So they picked candidates they Republicans could be comfortable voting for In because he understood that Republicans were pissed off at Republican candidates because they were spreending like drunken sailors, right, and they had lost their way. So it was showing me that these coalitions were starting to shift and that the working class was becoming part of the Republican Party. That was very early inception, but it was definitely happening.
Speaker 1: What has been the best part of all this, this whole crazy journey that you've been taking.
Speaker 4: Oh, all the people I get to me, all the privilege that I have to interview people where they are, and really getting a profound sense of what place means to people and having a sense of place being rooted. You know, people don't realize, but eight out of ten people in this eight out of ten people in this country live within one hundred miles of where they grew up. Seven ten people live within ten miles of where they grew So roots matter. So when people don't understand take my take my state for instance, and.
Speaker 1: Her state is Pennsylvania. For anyone who doesn't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh Pennsylvania. So if anybody remembers one of the last best speeches Joe Biden gave was at the State of the Union dress in twenty twenty four. It was arguably his best speech, and it was coherent and it was to the point, and it was something that had been lacking with him and leading to that date, and so people were like, okay. But then he said something in that speech. He said something about snackflation. And he was talking about how greedy, uh, these these these uh snack company owners were, and he pointed to Bob Casey, who was then the US Senator from Pennsylvania Democrat, said I'm putting you in charge of these evil, bad people.
Speaker 1: I'm honestly paraphrasing a little bit on made yeah.
Speaker 4: But not really in tone. He was like, you're in charge of snackflation. Get you know, the all this greed, And he was sort of putting the blame of inflation on that. And I'm watching it and my mouth is wide open. I'm like, wait, what do they not realize that eighty percent of the snacks consumed in this country are made in six counties in Pennsylvania. Affect someone's vote. Yeah, the farmers, the manufacturers, the peoples in the people in the c suites that live in the nice neighborhoods, to drive the truck drivers. All of these people are a coalition of people, and you just called them the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Right, I had no idea, that's really sure. It's like such an interesting point.
Speaker 4: As not mean me, But I know you expect this much Montumbery County or your county c suite, like living in a half million dollar home, vote for Kamala Harris or Joe Biden because that's what sort of the stereotype dictates. But if you're going after my industry, I don't think so. I know you think my family's going to vote for you, I don't think so. So it's those sort of intimate, granular things that that makes me understand like why my state is it mattered? But also if you didn't know this, if you weren't on a back road in York Pennsylvania and you didn't see snyders potato chips, or if you've never been to Hershey Park and understand sort of all that happens in our state, you know that that contributes to snacks, then you know there was just such a huge disconnect.
Speaker 1: Right, he had no idea. He was just criticizing you. Know some ceo. Yeah, some ceo somewhere right.
Speaker 4: You literally look it up on Wikipedia. Snack belt Pennsylvania. It's fascinating, not that hard.
Speaker 1: Wow. So you're such a champion for Pennsylvania. You clearly love your state so much. And you know, one of my best friends considers Pittsburgh like, you know, the undiscovered or not undiscovered but undervalued American city, which he just thinks is like the greatest city in the country. I've never been to Pittsburgh. What makes it so amazing?
Speaker 4: And if you asked me five years ago, I would say everything but the people. Undeniably, it's the people that make the city amazing. Unfortunately, the politics in the city has gotten very weird, uh. And there's been a lot of anti Semitism, there has been, uh, you know, a defiance to the Ice Org. There has been Its just been very ugly, ugly politics. A lot of that has to do with the Democrats Socialist of America sort of being backing these far left candidates, right, because we are a closed state and a closed primary state, and because people generally that vote in primaries tend to be either the furthest left or the furthest right of their party. They have become the leaders in the in the city. So thinks Summerly is our congresswoman. And so the politics have have sort of hurt the city a little bit. Right. We have a homeless problem, we have a crime problem. But outside of that, my city is you know, it's it's a beautiful city. It's a very old American city. It was was literally considered the West uh in the beginning of found things of our of our country. It's funny, you know, my family has been in Pennsylvania since sixteen thirty two, the Scottish shide, not the Italians. Yeah, there wasn't even in Italy in sixteen thirty two. But the and and have been in pennsylv in Lake, Pittsburgh and Butler. That's what made That's what made what happened to me and Butler are all that more. You know, personal have been there since the seventeen fifties. I love my city. I just wish that it would clean up as app We're.
Speaker 1: Going to take a quick break and be right back on the Carol Marco It Show. So what happened to you in Butler? For anybody who doesn't.
Speaker 4: Know, So, yeah, wait, y'all need to buy my book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the book is called Butler, and when.
Speaker 4: It's coming out, you can pre order it to re order it now. So I was four feet away from the President when he was shot at in Butler. It was an interesting day, as any journalist knows when you go. When you when you have certain things planned for a day, including an interview, there's a seventy percent chance it's not going to happen. Sure right, like your day's just not going to go the way it planned, and you have to be ready at cord of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to interview President Trump that day, July thirteenth, in Butler, and it was supposed to be five minute interview right before the rally, and about three hours before he got there, I get a text saying, Hey, change of plans, and so I immediately think, I it's not going to happen, But they said no, can you interview them for five minutes after the rally? I said bought. And then about an hour before President Trump gets there, I get a text saying, so, hey, President Trump really doesn't want you to be like five minute interview. Want to fly with him to Bedminster to the interview. On the plane, I'm like, well, I didn't have out on my bingo card, right, you know, yeah, I had my daughter with me. She's a photo journalist, so she was gonna do the photos. So she you know, has four kids. Her husband was with her. There's a reason why her husband was with there. It was one hundred and three degrees that day. We made him carry everything, so we're like, okay, that's what we're gonna do. And about two minutes before, no, about five minutes before President Trump's about to go on stage, this campaign advance man grab me and said it's go time. I'm like, oh my god, everything's changed again. Like follow him through this like narrow little causeway. We go in the back of the stage, there's President Trump. It's called a clickroom. A clickroom is where generally the president will meet with like local people. A couple people grabbed from the crowd and law enforcement and then their photo taking with the president. They put me at the end of the line, the three of us at the end of the line, and I said, well, where are we doing this interview? And the poor guys his name was Michelle goes, I actually don't know. He's let me go ask the president. He goes, around. There's a big curt and he goes around and uh, he comes back. It's just like the very sheepishly says, he just wanted to say, Hi, We're still going to Bedminster. I'm like, okay, right, so again things are changed. I go around and and we have this thing between us. He always is like, say, you know, best hair in America? Yeah, And I get so embarrassed because then everybody is staring at me, like, and I'm thinking, is my hair good? I've been in the amenity for like five hours. I don't I hear you?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my curly Italian hair, like we can't keep it straight. Yeah. So he asked about my great children and then set me on my way. So at this point he can't get us back to the press riser where the rest of the press are, because that little causeway that we were sent through was now closed off. So he goes, okay, since you're going right after the rally with the President, let's put you in the buffer. And the buffer is is sort of a well mostly used by security that separates the president from the crowd and also by photo journalists because just going to well follow him around as he goes out on the stage and then get over on the far side. Okay, we're all taking photos. My daughter, my son in Loave became We're what. He comes out, he waves to the crowd. He then goes up to the podium. And you know, if you've never been to a Trump rally, you don't understand. But the relationship between him and the people that are attending it is very transactional. He feeds off of them, they feed off of him. And this is in a positive way. This is a very sort of aspirational way. People believe they are part of something bigger than themselves, and Chump intuitively understands that he is as well. He's part of it. He's part of them. It's not just about him, it's about everybody there. So because of that, he never looks away from the crowd. He'll move his he'll move his body and look at different size, like turn around and look at crowds around.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not like he has notes or anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so two things happen simultaneously that never happened. He brings a chart down, I'm like, what is he? Ross Perot like, he never has a chart? Amazing, And then he turns away from the crowd, and he never does that. And at that moment, I hear pop pop pop pop. The bullets fly right over. I watch him go down, but he takes himself down. I note that, like it's really weird. You know how they always say things happen in slow motion, They absolutely do. Really, I can see him go down. I can see him hold his ear. I see the Secret Service go around him. You remember, I'm like four feet away from him.
Speaker 1: At this point. And is your daughter snapping pictures?
Speaker 4: My daughter? Yeah, we're We don't stop working until the second four bullets go by and Michelle takes us down. The campaign press guy, He's amazing. He's my hero, he Michelle Picard. I will love him forever. He was so protective of all of us. And I can I can hear the whole conversation he is having with the Secret Service, and you know, like about when to go up, you know that the shooter is dead, Like you can hear them talking, you can hear their ray. I can hear the radio's just because of how close you am, and I can. It was a little bit funny. It's funnier now. It was a little bit funny in the moment, and hear him like they want him to get up and wanted me to go. But he's like basically saying, I need to put my damn shoes on right, like his someone had knocked his shoes off, and and I hear one agent sigh like okay, all right, like okay, put your shoes on right.
Speaker 1: But they get his shoes off. That's so weird.
Speaker 4: And then he comes off the stage. He goes right past me. There is an agent that holds a gun right in our heads as he's going past, because they still don't know what. And so I did not go to Bedminster that day, no, obviously. But he calls me the next morning, right and early, and before I could say hello, like I didn't even get my hello out. So are you okay? Is Shannon and Mike okay? I'm like and I felt like saying, are you freaking kidding me? You do you've just been shot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe focus on yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We would ended up talking, I believe seven different times that day. You called me back a lot of times because he kept getting interrupted obviously obviously, yeah, but also just talking about faith, about him making that decision, like all of that's all details of those conversations are in the book.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait to read this because he seems like a changed person after.
Speaker 4: He's probably changed. Yeah, as someone that has interviewed him nineteen times, he is definitely a changed hersent. And there's really some poignant moments with him and I after that at different places. Is they're really powerful. But but the book also really gets into like everybody was reading things in other newspapers and thinking one thing might happen, and I kept writing notes, not you'll need to come to Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: It was clear to me that that that she stood no chance. Biden definitely didn't stand a chance. Probably, I mean, I will say this unequivocally, would have lost worse than she did. Really, it was clear to me that she was not gonna win. She she had no cultural connection to.
Speaker 1: The voters here and that or any kind of connection I think to any voters she was impossible to really get through to.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, and and you'll find out in the book the first the forward in the book, not the forwards, the first chapter, you'll find out that there was another president that was shot in Butler. And it is really intense and it's really really.
Speaker 1: Interesting, shocking. I can't wait to read it, Butler, and when does it come out again?
Speaker 4: That comes out of July eighth.
Speaker 1: But pre order, pre order preorders are important like this, Yeah, it's the main thing. Everybody pre orders Lena's book. It's going to be amazing. You could tell by the story she just told how incredible a storyteller she is. And I just can't wait to read it. So a question that I ask all of my guests is what do you worry about?
Speaker 4: So, as I said in my homework sign, yeah, I tend not to work really yeah, I mean it doesn't kind of.
Speaker 1: Italian doesn't worry.
Speaker 4: Well, here's why you don't worry, because it has no power. Worry has absolutely no power. It drains you. It can't do Worry can do nothing to change circumstances. It is just a waste of energy. If you want to, if you have something that's really sort of concerning you, or a life struggle that you're trying to work your way through, or even if it's just an issue with your child or your parents or your family or your career, the best thing to do is go outside and take a walk. And if faith is important to you, prayer is something that has often gotten me through And by the way, ever get everything I ask for. When I pray, I probably only get a tense But prayer is really really a great way or being reflective is a great way to uplift that stress, and it helps you understand that there are some things you just don't have control over, and it helps you think about better ways to manage it.
Speaker 1: What advice would you give your sixteen year old self? What does sixteen year old Selena need to know?
Speaker 4: All the things you're going to fail at, don't worry about it. They end up being the things that make you successful.
Speaker 1: What do you What have you failed at?
Speaker 4: Oh? I've a fired so many times?
Speaker 1: Really, just I see you as like this beloved writer. Like I was thinking about this before our interview, Like the right is very fractured, and there's a lot of like groups or clicks or whatever, and you just kind of transcend all of that. And so it's surprising to me that you failed at anything.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's because I didn't belong there. You have. We have to recognize failures aren't about not trying hard enough. Failures about it not being a good fit. It's sort of like going on a date with the euro Say you're a woman and you meet the perfect guy, right, and you like you know you, you get along and on paper he's great. On paper, you're great. But it doesn't work out. And it's not because either were bad. It's because it wasn't a good fit. He's in corporate America for two jobs and I was terrible at it. And it was not nothing to do with not working really hard, right, I was just really really bad. But where I learned so much, and I think what makes me a good writer is observation skills. I have always been a people watcher and it has taught me so much. But also being a waitress, being a hairdresser, being a hockey mom, soccer mom, football mom, my kids played every cross mom, my kids played every sport imaginable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have one of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And also understanding place in the world where you are and where you're from. A respect for a place, no matter where you no matter where you find yourself, helps you become a better writer.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love everything you do. She's so fantastic. Selena Zito, leave us here with your best tip for my listeners on how they can improve their lives. Well, I'm gonna go one of the three questions, Selena, you wrote out an answer, I can go find you right out.
Speaker 4: An answer, and I go back to my second answer. Okay, how do you improve your lives? Take a little care of yourself. I'm telling you nothing is better than either a good cup of coffee or glass of water or whatever your drink of choices shouldn't be alcohol in the morning. And take a walk. Yeah, a fifteen minute walk you walk in your house like it gets your endorphins going, right. As What's your Name famously said in What's the Movie where she becomes a lawyer.
Speaker 1: I think legally blind. I felt like I knew where you were going with this reason. With food, your endorphins.
Speaker 4: If you're if you're working, you're endor happy.
Speaker 1: People don't kill people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so taking that walk, you know, in the first thing in the morning, even if your kids are around the how do circuits around your house, whatever you need to do, get get those juices flowing. It helps your mind be clear and had its Exercise is never bad.
Speaker 1: That's right, hear. I wouldn't take the chance myself, but yeah, that would be my best advice. I love it. She is Selena Zito. She's amazing. Pre Order her new book, Butler. It's going to be out in July, but pre order it right now so you have it the day it comes out. Thank you so much, Selena Zito.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. This is fun.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining us on the Carol Markho would show. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.