Speaker 1: I was having the waibos ranchero, so I don't know what you were having.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I'd like a little savory, little sweet now. So yeah, I was doing like an eggs benedict because I love anything that's like two thousand calories, followed by a lemon ricotta pancake. Started off with the bloody Mary that had like a rocho three chicken in it, and then just Bellini Bellini, Bellini, Blini, Bellini, I barely know her, and then definitely ended on in espresso Martini because I gotta drive home.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. I'm sure this is all fake, a fake.
Speaker 1: What's up? Welcome to adulting on Jordan Carlos. I'm joined as always by my coat from Go Michelle, butteau. How you doing, Michelle? Look at you with your eyeliner on?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean you give compliments like a single auntie at a family reunion. Look at you all give it a shit about the way you look at whatnot?
Speaker 1: Bitch?
Speaker 4: You think you two looks and you've got deodorant with the lumanum.
Speaker 2: Bitch, I'll see you with your brow. It's like you can't just be like, you look nice today.
Speaker 1: You look nice today. I love how you look today. Your smile is popping. I love your cheeks are popping. You look great. Come on now, thank you.
Speaker 2: I will take all the motherfucking compliments I can get, and I will tell you what makeup helps. Because these kids, I think I have to skip naps. They're three and a half. When do we skip naps for toddlers? They don't fall asleep till ten and they wake up at six.
Speaker 3: When did you nap? When did you stop napping?
Speaker 1: Your kids napping stopped at about four? About four?
Speaker 3: Okay, we did?
Speaker 1: We did? Did they take their one? They took two naps and then they kind of like converged that into one big nap and then that just stopped all together. Yeah, you get your time back a little bit, you know, because it's like when they nap, you can't leave the house. You gotta like kind of stay, you know.
Speaker 3: I remember one time you and your family came to my house and you were in the car for like an hour.
Speaker 1: Absolutely we do.
Speaker 3: And your wife was like, our son's napping, he got to stay in that car.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Yeah, that's just how it goes and I'm just so glad you stayed in the car because sometimes you hang with people they're like, I.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, any outside chilling.
Speaker 2: It's very European just to like leave your kids outside in a stroller or something. I'm like, do you want to go? You never saw the movie with the dingo? We gotta go make sure up.
Speaker 1: Isn't that like a thing in Norway where they just like leave the kids in the strollers or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's really all over Europe, really mostly northern but yes, yeah, wow, that's not you know, it's such a crazy way to grow up to like not only trusting people, but also your environment. You know, like even if I sit on a patio outside for sure in Brooklyn, I'm like, they're roaches, ants, anything else?
Speaker 3: A beatle can get into my purse?
Speaker 5: What to do?
Speaker 3: What's up here? A big spider web?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: West Nile in the east?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, like I go to a hotel and I'm like, what's behind the sheet, what's on top of the headboard? Any ticks? Anything I gotta worry about. Let's see what's you know under the bed? Do you ever check under the bed at the hotel.
Speaker 1: I never check under the bed at the hotel.
Speaker 3: No, never under the bed.
Speaker 1: You want to check under the bed at the hotel.
Speaker 3: It's a new movie directed by Jordan Peele.
Speaker 1: Under the Bed. Why in the sealy apostrophedic? What I'd check under the bed? The bed is fine? Why am I? I'm the one it's gonna happen to me?
Speaker 2: Seely all those mattresses would be purple, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 1: Therefore, it's just not gonna I just don't think it's gonna happen to me. I've only had a couple of weird things happen to me at hotels, and one of them was somebody wipe their booty with a towel and then left the towel on the rack.
Speaker 2: I know that you are so uncomfortable and grossed out by this because you sang it when you said it, yeah, whenever you whenever you put a voice on it, And I'm like, uh oh, it was real.
Speaker 1: Why would I be comfortable with that? Why would I be comfortable with people wiping their ass.
Speaker 2: On a No, you don't have to be comfortable, but you're just not even comfortable saying it, which is hilarious, terrible, that's so gross. And some people don't They just all willy nilly put their faces in a hotel towel.
Speaker 3: That shit has been all over someone's semen and poo poo.
Speaker 1: Well that was the thing.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that the thing.
Speaker 1: The rags don't do it, that was the thing. The problem was this. It wasn't that the Dodo was fresh. Do you understand? It was it was the DoD who had been like washed and dried and was on the rat. Do you see what I'm saying, Like the shroud of torrent Like it was just like kind of like a rosa test of doo doo was on the rack and I was like, gonna dry my he.
Speaker 3: Literally, yes, yeah, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: It's like that Dodo is the Republicans in the Supreme Court, and no matter how much we try to wash and vote, it still keeps popping up. Sorry everyone, also not sorry, that's wild.
Speaker 1: The worst part was the manager at the hotel was like, did you do this? And I was like, did I do? I just checked in, how did I do this? Do I bring? Do I bring these towels with me?
Speaker 3: So that's not the follow up question.
Speaker 2: That's not the follow up question, sir, I don't know if you ever went to school for hotel and hospitality management.
Speaker 3: That's not the follow up question.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: The funny part was the funniest part was we were this was in Mississippi, and so my brother got all up in this guy's crawl and then we got the miss we got the presidential suite. What the funny? My man? My brother was like, oh, when is the president coming here?
Speaker 3: You know, like, oh my god, what's your brother's name again?
Speaker 1: Joseph, Joseph is my brother, Joseph.
Speaker 3: I didn't know Joseph was funny.
Speaker 1: Joseph Joseph hilarious. Joe's so funny, He's he is a man of I did not know that great humor. And he loves to tell stories. He is the ultimate host. He is a jolly man and he is I love that. It's full of energy in life.
Speaker 2: You guys are cool. The whole family's dope. Everyone likes to have a good time.
Speaker 5: That's you know.
Speaker 1: I haven't. I haven't hung out with your dad. I want to hang with your dad. I still haven't hung out with your dad.
Speaker 3: My dad is here all month. So I flew my parents up from Como for the month.
Speaker 2: They're on their way over and you know, my dad is eighty two and usually we go down a Florida to visit them, but there's no time since I'm creating my own show for Netflix, eight episodes straight to series. Thank you so much about Well the thing is get into it, bitch, Well what.
Speaker 1: The point is the plug?
Speaker 2: Because there's nothing there's nothing better in sweeter than like, you know, I'm forty five now I can fully say I am middle aged. I hope I get to ninety. And the fact that my dad is like he's still kicking it. And I've always heard stories from my friends who are like, we're taking the kids over to my parents, and I'm like, what.
Speaker 4: Is that like?
Speaker 2: Because I'm at the very special age where I kind of take care of my parents and take care of my kids.
Speaker 3: But it's so nice to for some.
Speaker 2: Reason, when they are all under one roof, all the drama is canceled out and we're just having fun, right, And it's a lot of finger food, and it's a lot of stories I don't understand from parents and kids, and it's really fun and we're making memories. And I didn't know because I've always been like beholden to their schedule. Now they're like online, so it's dope.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up in a multi generational household or was it just you and your parents or were your grandparents.
Speaker 3: There or I did? And I remember my great grandma.
Speaker 2: It was this little Indian Jamaican lady who learned how to smoke a cigarette in her mouth because it was illegal for women to smoke cigarettes in public.
Speaker 1: Whoa.
Speaker 2: She was a spitfire and her name was Hazel h Oh. She used to eat the spiciest food and then just like had our own box of vanilla ice cream.
Speaker 3: She was amazing.
Speaker 2: So I knew my great grandma, my grandma, and it was fun. Yeah, but we had to go to Jamaica to see them. They wouldn't come here.
Speaker 3: They couldn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you didn't live under one roof?
Speaker 3: Then we didn't live under Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's something to that. Yeah, I think there's something to that to live under one roof with your grandparents. I did it for a little while in my life, and it was it was eye opening. It was definitely eye opening to see that your mother is also like a daughter and you know, yeah, it was my mom took care of my grandmother. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and dementia, which was which was rough, but there were moments, especially when we go to church and she remembered that the hymns and the songs where I could almost see inklings of like how it used to be between them, that yeah, yeah, that was that was really special and and that's so dope. And just to see the love that my mom had for my grandma, that just you know, resonated, like you want your kids at the end to take care of you, geez, Louise, I mean yea hope, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: At least like you, Like my parents are very responsible and have already set up accommodations for whatever kind of housing or nursing, the nurses that they might need, you need, and even like funeral stuff, because the last thing you want to do is be so sad that you can't make decisions. And I do feel like any time you're in a vulnerable position, people do take advantage of it. I mean, I remember when I was getting married, everybody was trying to upsell us, like we it was our first time at Chiffilub, and I'm like, what the fuck? And in case is so European and Dutch and cheap and all the those things. And he was like, we don't need this, we don't need that, we don't need this, we don't need that. And I was like, right on, I guess not, but I feel like we need it, you know, if we're gonna make a special uh. And that's such an American way to go about shit, which sucks. Anyways, the point is do you have a will?
Speaker 3: I know, what is the point? Do you have a will?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 1: All that's to say? Do you have a will? I guess that's I mean, that's what we have to think about when we get into our forties. I don't have a living trust in or a living will. I do need one, though.
Speaker 3: I had a will since my twenties.
Speaker 1: You've had a will since your twenties, well you need to update that.
Speaker 3: I have, but like my first will was in my twenties.
Speaker 2: I went to Spain for a month and my mom's like, you should have a will, and I'm like, that's the follow what not like have fun or make sure that you take pictures, just have a will.
Speaker 3: That's where my parents are.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been married fifteen years now, so that's that's I think that isn't that the first Year's paper, and then the fifteenth is the living trust and will, and then the sixteenth is definitely headstones. You need to think about how it's gonna end. It's wild. I don't know, man, I'm kind of like, I'm scared. I'm so scared, Michelle. Yeah, the big punch out, man, I know, you know, somebody, just somebody upstairs just turns off the power and then you're just like, oh, dude, that's so. I know.
Speaker 3: That's why I really tried it.
Speaker 2: And I always say this, and I say it out loud mostly for me, but not be too stressed. Still have fun even if it's traffic, because I'm still here, even if it's.
Speaker 1: Like, well for sure, even if it's over tomorrow. Like I love that that point of view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just never really.
Speaker 2: The minute the kids were born, I was like, oh, I can never die because I can't imagine a day without knowing how they are and then me not being there for them. So I love all those like the rom coms and like the movies were like parents le videos and shit like that's real.
Speaker 1: Do that if you can, Oh, yeah, you know you're gonna go or no.
Speaker 3: But even if you don't know, you, we all know we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Go right right, right, right right. Well, I mean I think it's it's like, you know, I'm up in the International Space Station right We've lost power. The other shuttles can't get to me, and I've got to like send that kind of you know, armageddon message to the wife and the kids. I'm all about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you Bruce Willis or Ben Affleck in this scenario both?
Speaker 1: I can't be both.
Speaker 3: You gotta pick one, bro, I'm sorry you can't.
Speaker 1: Why it's my imagination. I'm gonna do what I want now.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you better take ownership shit.
Speaker 1: Those kind of things. I like, like that's how I want to go out. I want to be on top of K two and I can barely get a signal and like, you know, the snowstorm's bearing down at me, and I'm like, I just don't know how to make it.
Speaker 3: But you want to go out with a bag see for me?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I'm fine to go quietly in the sleep, but I want to plan a big ass party because you know I love a party. Want drag queens and DJs and if Beyonce is still alive. Beyonce, please come perform at my funeral.
Speaker 3: I want a guest list.
Speaker 1: Wow at the funeral.
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am a step and repeat. I wanted to be a party.
Speaker 2: That's one thing I really love about New Orleans and Louisiana in general. It really feels like I love states that feel like they're their own country, but especially New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Like your send off for funeral is just like fuck.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a celebration of life, right, that's what That's what it is in New Orleans. I know my auntie, she had a funeral in New Orleans and it was a beautiful celebration of life. And you say, and most people they wear white there, which is the Africa the West African tradition of wearing white and death, which is which is beautiful and one. No, it's it's just another Caribbean connection and Caribbean African connection that that New Orleans has that the rest of the country is just like deaf too. Yeah, baby, it's beautiful. Yeah, it's really beautiful.
Speaker 3: This took a turn. I didn't mean it to get so dark.
Speaker 1: It didn't know it's it's it's all good lights.
Speaker 3: Depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 1: It's it's all good. I was just gonna say, I've gotten to that age where like, oh, this is how I knew I was old. I got like a new scent of hand soap, and that really really blew my hair back. The verbina. I never had lemon verbina.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm a big citrus person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know what's up. But like I was like, oh my god, that was the most exciting thing that had happened to me that day.
Speaker 3: I think when your hands and your fingers smell good, that is exciting.
Speaker 1: It is, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's the little things. And also like a good ass clean ear.
Speaker 1: Mmm, oh, don't put a Q tip in there now.
Speaker 2: Look, I get like the Q tips that have like a shut, pointy edge, so I get in, you get yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But cleaning the kid's ears, they love it as much as I do.
Speaker 2: Like their little legs starts to shake like you're pitting the dog in the right place and shit, and I'm just like, yes, we're doing it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Nooks and crannies. Oh looks, let's move on. So excited about our guests this episode.
Speaker 2: Hopefully she has way more classy stories than what we just shared. O. God, I don't think I've had the opportunity to work with her, but I've heard amazing things about her.
Speaker 1: You have, yes, I have. We work together on Everything's Trash. We can get into what she did exactly on the show momentarily.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's a stand up comedian, she's a writer, she's also an actor.
Speaker 1: Please help us.
Speaker 4: Welcome Chanel Ali, Chanelle Ali. Oh, okay, you did it, Hiel Ali?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 5: Hey, it's so good to be here.
Speaker 1: First of all, we are actually former co workers. You could say that me and Chanell worked together on Everything Trash. You had a very unique job. You were Phoebe Robbinson, the star of the show, her stand in, So you were there on set literally more than I was. Yeah, you were working fourteen hour days a lot, and you were wearing wigs a lot of them as well.
Speaker 2: So a stand in, if y'all don't know, it's a genius idea because a lot of it, especially in the Black Show, and a lot of the beauty depends on lighting, and so you have to light the scene and know where the actor is going to be moving so it doesn't look crazy. And there's shadows on your face unless it's intentional. And so when you're done filming, the actor will go off and like rest their titties, pick a wedgie, get some water, coffee ten one, yeah, more like ten fun. That's industry for Pee Peepe and Little Peepe Dance. I just wear an adult diaper and keep it moving, bitches. I'm efficient. Just kidding, that's discussing. Although I did try one for a flight to England.
Speaker 3: It really was said. It really reminded me of my grandma. It was just a smell.
Speaker 1: Wow, what is Yeah, like that's only like seven hours when there's bathroom.
Speaker 3: We'll get into it another time. Channel. This is really fun so far.
Speaker 1: But the point is this is the show. This is the show.
Speaker 2: It's called so the actors, the main actors are called first team, and then the stand ins are called second team. So yeah, you're constantly hearing second team, and so you have to go stand Oh my god, love. Actually maybe this is the reference you remember love Actually, like there's a couple that met because they were stand in.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: They always simulate like a blow job or like fucking through the back.
Speaker 3: But anyway, was this the first time that you were a stand in a second teamer.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't. But it was my first time being the stand in for like the number one, like the the main actress, which, like like Jordan said, obviously she's in most of the scenes and she changes her hair and her outfits a lot, but I was also her photo double for certain scenes. So I if you watched the show, I am in it, but you you think it's Phoebe.
Speaker 6: You don't even know that.
Speaker 5: It's me, right, Yeah, absolutely, And I got to I did one scene or they just drove me around in a cab and I was getting in and out of a cab.
Speaker 6: They're just filming her getting in and out of a cab for.
Speaker 5: Some sequence, and people kept trying to get in the cab, thinking that like I was accident so they could get and I'm like stopping people, like, hey, it's not a real cab.
Speaker 3: A cab in New York's a hot commodity.
Speaker 5: None of this is real. This is all off asade. Get out of here, man, help yourself. But yeah, it was a great experience, and I feel like it was really hands on acting experience, you know, because.
Speaker 3: I had to run the line yemmy yummy yummy.
Speaker 5: I had to hit the marks, you know, I was doing it.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna spend that much time on saying, you better be getting a master class in like what the fuck is that?
Speaker 5: Totally period?
Speaker 2: Now we're not so basic question sort of like the couple in love actually that met and like ended up like living happily ever after as stand ins together.
Speaker 3: Have you ever met somebody on set standing?
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, but like we never like hung out afterwards.
Speaker 5: But even on this show, there was a scene where Phoebe is about to have a sex scene with this guy and I was her stand in, so like they had the sex coordinator come in and tell me, like, hey, you don't have to like touch yourself, and I was like, hey, don't tell me.
Speaker 6: You don't have to tell me. I'll touch I touch myself if I want to, you know, and I don't need anybody.
Speaker 3: But we did have we were sod to light this honey, flick flick light.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to get the experience you want to shot, but.
Speaker 1: We got to.
Speaker 3: Normalize these titty that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: But there was a really cute guy who was also the male stand in, and they wanted us to kiss, and the camera guy was like, can.
Speaker 6: You guys do He was like, can you guys do the kiss real quick? And then he just like went back by the camera and we both were like yes, and we didn't move. We just didn't move because we.
Speaker 5: Were both so can. We just stood there and like row. It was the whole time I could say they ever told something and I didn't do it. It's not that I didn't want to, but being ordered to do it made it feel so awkward that we both were like, there's no time for consent, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what the intimacy coordinators for.
Speaker 3: Oh, please give me a break.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't. I didn't know the drama behind it all.
Speaker 3: Are you single, chan?
Speaker 6: I am single?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 5: I always fall for boom guys. I don't know if you have that problem on set. I love boom guys.
Speaker 2: They're so quiet, quiet, and usually tall and listening and sensitive.
Speaker 6: They have strong arms and good boots.
Speaker 5: I just always The other day the other day, I was on set for something and they had a boom lady. I'd never seen a boom lady before and honestly didn't hit the same for me.
Speaker 1: Didn't hit this not into the boom ladies.
Speaker 5: Wasn't in the boom lady. If anything, I was a little angry, like, Hey, when's the boom guy gonna come in?
Speaker 1: Good question? Great? You know, Michelle, the expression of your face is very interesting.
Speaker 3: Wait, let's get back into Chanelle's love life.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had a very casual hookup with someone a comedian, someone on set that you had to go see, like another time that I had.
Speaker 6: To go see another time, like awkwardly, like I ran and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, oh we're working together now? Whips.
Speaker 5: Not really, I mean, but I do. I do remember one time coming to a comedy show and this guy that I had like had a hook up with one time was backstage and I was shocked to see him because he wasn't a comedian. He was like a musician. So I walked in. I was like, Hey, what are you doing here? And he was like, oh, I didn't know you were on this show. I'm actually dating her. And he pointed to this other lady comedian.
Speaker 3: Did she look like you?
Speaker 5: No, she doesn't look like me at all. But I was like, I'm happy for y'all. You know, I didn't have like feelings for him. But in the same breath, I was kind of like, oh, so, now you and I both have this guy in our rolodex, and that's cool.
Speaker 6: Bring him to more shows. It's a family affair.
Speaker 2: I follow up question and like, I'm so sorry if I'm prying, let a bitch know. But this is exciting because you know, I don't have a lot of single friends that are happy.
Speaker 3: You look happy, and this is fun for me. What do you consider hooking up?
Speaker 5: I think hooking up is kissing. I think it's sex in any form. I think it's.
Speaker 6: Anything that you would do beyond hugging.
Speaker 1: Is hooking up interesting?
Speaker 5: You know, we hooked up, we hooked up, we hooked up.
Speaker 6: We you know, there's levels to it, Like we really hooked up.
Speaker 5: You know, we were still hooked.
Speaker 2: But you know, I feel like for me, hooking up is penetration, whether it's with like your fingers as something else. But if it's just like he kissed my titty and kissed my neck, that's not really hooking up. He's just you know, that's just like a little appetizer titty in the mouth.
Speaker 5: That's your son, that's your child.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: That's your child? She said, titty in the mouth, Oh, titty in the mouth. A good latch, A good latch on the on the on the nip. Yes, I believe. Well, I believe that hooking up as to involve the drawing of the nude form after you're done making love to them. Well you have to like like Jack and Titanic.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jack, Yeah, thank you Jack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 6: Romance.
Speaker 5: Romance is different now now guys do it on an iPad. They don't even have the pen and the paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now they just have like a like an avatar.
Speaker 1: That's all the sketch.
Speaker 3: What do you consider what do you consider a good date?
Speaker 2: Because between New York City always having a dope as show to go to or do, what do you consider a good date?
Speaker 3: Because your time is precious?
Speaker 5: It's so precious, honestly, Honestly, I think in the last two years especially, dates really have come to like are we outside doing something? You know, Like that's that's really kind of the the level that you have to clear. But I had a great date where this guy took me to like a petting zoo and we fed a bunch of animals and they have this big choy pon like it was an enormous coy pod. I couldn't even I mean, like thousands. Imagine all the fishery ver seen. They're all in this coipon and.
Speaker 6: We're feeding them and they're just they know what they're there for.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It just was a vibe and a good energy.
Speaker 5: And then we went to like this mirror maze escape thing that we did together that was like half outside half inside, and I just felt like the whole day we did activities like that and kind of experienced it together in this beautiful, you know, safe way. I don't know, I just had such a great time. It made me feel better than some of the fancy estates I've gone in in New York City where a guy sends a car and it takes me somewhere fancy, and I'm like, this is this We're in a forty forty club by ourselves.
Speaker 3: Do is just sending cars? Okay? I didn't know? This is pretty woman. That is amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's uber.
Speaker 2: So I feel like people forget that being thoughtful counts for a lot. Whatever you have in your bank account, it's more attractive for me at least that you're thoughtful and ambitious. Please don't be lazy. Please be passionate about something. I won't give a fuck what it is, just like something I.
Speaker 5: Was really appreciate when someone recognizes what effort I've had to put forward, Like, Hey, I know you spent an hour and twenty minutes on the train to get here. I'm gonna make sure that you know you get to take a car home and that you get to whatever. Like I appreciate someone noticing, like I can see that you've put some effort into getting here. Let me help you.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question? Though, I feel as though Chanel, like from your videos and everything like that, which I love. I love your videos. When you do like this is the day in the life of a comedian to me, I feel like that's your passion, Like that's your concern and your passion, and it's not to quote a nineties movie title, but alas are on the side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, and I think that really, Like I birth this this vlogging series that I have on TikTok and on Instagram where I take people with me a day in the life of comedian type vibe. I feel like that came about because I was feeling avoid in dating civically and that I got tired of telling men about my gigs and.
Speaker 6: Them not being hype enough.
Speaker 5: Like I'm telling you I just did this incredible comedy show with like comedians we've been watching on be et since we're a little and they're.
Speaker 6: Like, cool, Chanel, you want to go see this movie?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, you know what, I'm going to tell people online and they're gonna be hype, and also I'm going to find more guys who are hype. And it really kind of filled that void of like some days I do incredible things in my life and I come home and I don't always have someone to share it with. Well, I'm going to share it with a bunch of people, and I'm going to find a community and maybe maybe some boys, maybe not who who think this is dope and can you know, appreciate it?
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a very healthy meal plan for Internet, do you know what I mean? Where it's like you decide on your own record that you want to share it because you know it's dope, Like you're not looking for what's the word I'm looking for?
Speaker 1: You're not looking for like approval and acknowledgment from just like so much tired.
Speaker 3: Mom, this is like a game of celebrity. I'm like, I gotcha, Jordan.
Speaker 1: I'm right here. I'm right here with you. Okay. I'm your understudy on these moments.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: So here's he's my stand in.
Speaker 1: I'm your standing okay. So because you were doing it, but you were doing stand up like in kind of Wild Times though too, like twenty twenty one, you would go out and I honestly was like watching you go out. I was like, damn, Shanelle Lee is risking it all. You're just.
Speaker 5: Fifteen during I mean, I wow. I was getting tested no lie, like four times a week every week for months. I was just doing whatever I could, also like taking precautions. But I felt like, you know, really obligated to keep telling jokes, to keep making people laugh, and then also to like, you know, live.
Speaker 1: I was just like, this is my job.
Speaker 5: I don't I'm not gonna I'm not gonna go do another thing like this is it? You know. But those were really cool experiences and it really showed me that like, comedy is gonna live no matter what.
Speaker 6: We could close every basement in New York City, which they did for a while.
Speaker 5: We're gonna go on the rooftops in the parks and we're gonna go in backyards like we're gonna figure it out.
Speaker 6: I was doing fancy penthouse apartment shows.
Speaker 1: Yes, stretched us and we did. I did like a salon or something like that, or a boutique. It was. It was wild.
Speaker 3: Did y'all do the parking lot shows?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, and queens and I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure our listeners know.
Speaker 2: In early quarantine, which we consider deep quarantine, you know, it was deep at first, like we were like Lady Got got stars born on the deep end and people would be in their car and then you would perform on a race platform hopefully yeahm or a truck sometimes flatbed truck.
Speaker 3: What and a time to kill is going on?
Speaker 1: What they blink the lights?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they would blink the lights, honk the horn if they liked what you said. How did that make you feel?
Speaker 3: It's great?
Speaker 1: When I get the lights blinking. That was amaze. And then I remember this one sister she did her windshow wipers was that's like really wow? That was like I was like, a all right, that's that's when you know you're doing well. But the parking lot did you do the one in Queens was like Jay Nogg's show. That was funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like by the Creek in the cave.
Speaker 6: I think helped organize it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was great.
Speaker 3: They closed down and opened up in Austin, Yeah they did.
Speaker 5: And I missed that club. That was like the first place that ever booked me when I came to New York City, I mean just for a weekend. I'm from Philly originally, so I used to come up. That was the first place that ever booked me.
Speaker 6: What part of Philly are you from North Philly near like Temple?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right on.
Speaker 2: I lived in South Jersey for a year because both my parents worked in Center City. Oh nice, and so I remember driving over the Ben Franklin and hanging out at the Galleria Mall.
Speaker 5: Nice. Yeah it's real fancy now really because it was real ghetto.
Speaker 3: I was getting into faight.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No. People used to just go there to the gallery to fight, yeah for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I remember just like going to Penn's Landing and making out and getting like finger fucked.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My first joint that I bought was in Camden at Rutgers University. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Rutgers, Rutgers, Wow, Ruckers, Camen especially, guys.
Speaker 3: Did you ever hang out in Jersey?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I did. I have an aunt that lives in Pennsauken, right across the bridge. A lot of my cousins still live in South Jersey area. I'm very familiar with that area. I applied to Rutgers. I ended up going to Temple, but I definitely got, you know, into Rutgers as well.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, nice, I applied to Rutgers. I didn't get in.
Speaker 5: Are you so mad at them? Because I didn't get into Villanova and I didn't even want to go there. And I'm still pissed.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm a little salty. I'm like, I'm a little salty water hot dog.
Speaker 3: But it's okay. But picture, bitch, I know, I know. I'm my basement doing a podcast.
Speaker 1: Before you're about to record, you're about to film, Okay, your Netflix show? Hello? Why do you care about what Vileanova says? Are seating all or any other? Philadelphia? It's like that.
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you why.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like when you're a comedian's like the one table that's not laughing and everyone is just bent over a laughter. It's like the one person that told Michael Jackson he looked like a monkey as some ship when he was eight, and then he never let it go.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. I don't know why we do that.
Speaker 1: If you guys know why, let me know, because we believe that those people know the truth.
Speaker 5: I would never loud. I can't believe you. Why did you say it?
Speaker 6: They don't know anything. They're idiots.
Speaker 1: I know they're idiots, you know, and half the people are usually like in a show, they're not laughing. They were dragged there. You know what I'm saying. It wasn't their idea to come. And it's like the one person that's smiling, like I love these I'm your biggest fan. You're like you, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Biggest fan.
Speaker 1: I love. I don't know that's that's people do that.
Speaker 2: When you started comedy and you made it, made the New York City transition, did you feel like you had to do all the things that a comedian has to do, like audition for SNL and go to Montreal or do a half hour wear a blazer and jeans.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yes, in that order, in that exact order is now I thought I needed to do it. Obviously, I absolutely wanted SNL. I'm still working on that. I auditioned a couple I don't know a couple of months ago and I put jfl on a very big pet of store. I was like, I need to be a new face. I have to go to Montreal. And the first year that I auditioned and I didn't get it, I was like, this whole institution is stupid. They don't know anything about comedy, you know. I was just so indignant and so angry. And so the second year that I auditioned, I told my manager before I went in, I was like, I'm not gonna audition anymore after this, and you got it, And she was like why Yeah, and I got in. She was like, well, why were you saying that? And I was like, because I didn't want to be ten years in the comedy trying to be a new face.
Speaker 6: I don't care about it that much. I think there's tons of comedians.
Speaker 5: I've never been a new face, never got on SNL, never had a Comedy Central whatever, and still have incredible careers and make content or movies and television. That's you know. I just knew before I got those things that regardless if I get them, I'll be fine. But when I got jfl Man, that was a really big deal for me. I think I cried because we're not allowed to tell people for a couple of weeks. I was on trains in New York City crying all the time for like two weeks because I couldn't believe that article is going to come out, that I was going to be a new face, and that I was going to Montreal. So yeah, I definitely I wanted all those things, but I came here to grind. I was focused on finding the mics that were going to give me good stage time. I was focused on Wyatt's ANAC's show, Night Train. I was focused on getting in with the Brooklyn comedy scene at the Knit. Hannibal was there, I was, you know, I knew that I didn't even care about Manhattan that much. I was trying to get right deep into what I felt like was a comedy renaissance that I thought I saw happening.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, And I always say, go where you're celebrated, not tolerated, And that's what Brooklyn comedy is for me, at least, It's like it always feels like a celebration, like a community understanding.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say this, have you found do you feel like a community and supportive circle of people in the world of comedy? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely. I mean I was just with Wya Sanak and Don Will the other day we did a show shouting at the screen and why I knew Don Will from just people I knew in Philly way before I became a comedian, like.
Speaker 6: Just in my life.
Speaker 5: Shit, yeah, he was just one of my friends. I used to I was a huge Tanya Morgan Morgan fan. I would go to their concerts and then when I told him like, hey, I'm starting comedy, I'm gonna start this comedy here in Philly and I'm gonna come up to New York. Once I got to New York, he was one of the first people that told me you gotta come check out why It's Snacks show.
Speaker 6: You got to come to these rooms and Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Don's a real one. We love Don. He does our live shows.
Speaker 6: And yes, so talented, so funny, so smart, so talented.
Speaker 5: I would say definitely, if I could categorize the people who really influenced me and gave me so much resources and information. It's black men a thousand times. It's black men in comedy that have given me my biggest opportunities that have been the most encouraging. I mean, the list is long. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah's black man, And I hope.
Speaker 2: Black women are nice to you, because I really feel like sometimes it gets competitive for no reason. I feel like that's also part of the patriarchy, say that the we only have room for one, but there's always a room for a lot of us. You know, it doesn't have to be a white show with a black friend. It could also be a black show absolutely.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I saw this quote on Instagram one time. Sorry Instagram, I want to quote you.
Speaker 2: But being happy for someone else's success will never fuck up yours. So I just really hope whoever the fuck is listening that, Yeah, just just be kind. It doesn't take much.
Speaker 1: That's really that's really hard for people. Sometimes it's hard to like celebrate other people's Why are you laughing at that? Wasn't a fun fun? So it's really it's it's hard. But you know what I do once a week is I make myself like I try to get over that and make myself watch something of my friends that they created, if it's on TV or something like that, and it's just like, oh, that's such a relief. And then you can just like text them and tell them how great it was. Yes, at least for me, because that's just that's just me. I'm just way too competitive. But I wanted to ask you sel like it says that like you came up like in foster homes and that you then live with a relative who was like in the Air Force, so you moved around a lot. So how do you think that's really? How is that informed your stand up?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, it's made me an expert at being on the road.
Speaker 5: I pack light and if anybody, if you can ask anybody, if Chanelle at least crashing on your couch, you won't even know she's there, okay, because all I know how to do is not make a mess, not make sounds, and clean up of the mesself, you know. So it influenced me that that way.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 5: I noticed that all the time when I'm on the road, I'm like, man, some comedians cannot handle this, and I am breathing through. It's fine. But also I think it gave me a certain amount of resiliency. Like I think when I really decided, oh man, you know, I am a comedian, I'm gonna try this. That sounded crazy, That sounded like a crazy thing to say. But even crazier to me was like, oh, you didn't have a mom and a dad and you had to like navigate through the world and put yourself through college and like be a good person. That's really crazy, and you did that, and you did that, so maybe this is not going to be like a straight shot. It's probably gonna have some bumps, but it's downs like competitively much easier than the thing I had already done. And then yes, you know it just it gave me a perspective.
Speaker 3: Do you have memories of foster care?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, I remember back so far. I remember every home, every family, A lot of them had their own children, and you know, they were all in different aspects of their life. You know, some of them were older, you know, young, some young families. But yeah, I think also, just like moving around and going to different schools, you have to learn how to communicate with people from everywhere. You got to be personable. I'm sure that helped me develop my chops and how I speak and communicate.
Speaker 2: So because you're always walking into a room as a comedian after a host, and people have to trust you immediately.
Speaker 3: Absolutely you know what I mean, and you have to be on immediately.
Speaker 2: And just it really is a special skill set that no one talks about. I feel like the go to the rumor for comedians is that the class clown. Yes, like yeah, like the class clown that we're like pulling the pigtails and running away. We all experience pain, We've all had something traumatic happening in our lives. But it's also like, well, well how do you deal with it? And the way we deal with it is, you know, using it as a superpower. Really, once I realized I did that for comedy, I did that for dating, and it.
Speaker 3: Helped I want to hear more about that.
Speaker 2: So with dating, I felt like, not like the other person should be a mind reader, but I'm just like, well, we talked online, or we talked on the phone, or we have a friend in common, so you know what this is. And I was always disappointed because I'm just like, why are you not doing that thing? How Come we're not having fun? How come you're not polite or interesting or whatever the fuck it was, or like have the same goals as I do. Whatever it was, and then when I when I turn it around, I'm just like, this is I put it more on me than on them, Like this is who I am, this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: You can keep up if you want to.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It just changed the game. And that's also you know how it should.
Speaker 2: Be when you walk in a room, you know, when you're a comedian and they're not laughing, it's not their fault.
Speaker 3: It's like, well what are you serving? It's on you? And so that's what I meant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel you.
Speaker 1: I get that. I get that.
Speaker 2: It's like, look at my look at my These used to be mad he has I'm a gran, make a good pot of riceders.
Speaker 1: It's Michelle, but is pulling out of the station. You know, the Michelle train is pulling out the station. Do you want to be on that train or not? We have a good time, we don't have a good time, whether you like it or not. I get that. I get that. Wow, Okay, I was.
Speaker 5: Curious to ask you, like, do you feel like when you had to pick a mate, you had to find someone that you thought could handle your rise because I all always evaluate men on that scale.
Speaker 6: I'm always like, you know, you seem great now, I'm having so much fun with you.
Speaker 5: Now, this is so great, But how are you going to act five years from now when there's cameras in your face and we can't go everywhere you want to go? Or like you know, you know, are you bet yeh?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 6: How are you going to handle it?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't think that way.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: That sounds like I'm thinking about the outside world and I need to think about behind closed doors. Who do I want to be with when I'm going through because it's still stressful, you know, like Danika Kakpatrick says, we love a new devil. So if I'm going through a change, will you be there for me? Because I know that you have my back and I have yours. So No, I never thought about that. My only gauge was do I want to talk to you tomorrow?
Speaker 6: And that's that's that really means something that really does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots of lots of lots of years in my life I dated guys that I was like, man, I don't like talking to you.
Speaker 2: But you but but we still do, right, because it's like, well, what else am I gonna do or I'm polite or whatever. You know, it's nice to have a hand to hole, but it's aciding to do that exactly because it's just like I will rather host other things instead of this dumb idea.
Speaker 3: They got to be happy for you.
Speaker 2: If someone is not happy for you, I don't understand couples that are jealous of each other's success. Don't you want to see your partner fucking shine, say that that's why you liked him in the first place.
Speaker 1: But not unless I'm shining brighter now. I want to see them shine, but just I have to be shining the brightest, and then I.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you for being honest like that. Jordan.
Speaker 6: But you know when I moved from Philly.
Speaker 5: When I moved from Philly to New York, I was dating a guy and like, right before I moved, I was feeling like, man, I don't know if he's gonna be able to handle this move. He's kind of acting away. And then he was supposed to come to a comedy show and he hadn't been to one of my shows in nine months, which is a really long time in my opinion. I'm like nine months. Yeah, I could have a baby up here, you don't even know. And so he said he was gonna come, and then he's said like, yeah, well I'm not gonna come. I gotta put my car in the shop. That was his excuse. And so then after the show car to the show, I called him to tell him about the show, and he was like, yeah, I wasn't able to put my car in the shop. The guy was there. So I just came home and I was like, wellh I didn't you come to the show And he was like, well, I didn't have a car. I was like, I don't have a car. I also don't have a car, So how is it that I can get to my show and you can't get to my show? And I was like immediately in the street, I'm like on the street the phone, on the phone with him, I was just like, hey, I break up with you, like a declaration, Like I declared it and it's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah wait, hold on, you said that to him, break up with you?
Speaker 6: And he was like you can't just say that.
Speaker 5: I was like, I did. I said it, it's over. Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: For me, And I learned this way too late in life.
Speaker 2: Think about what you want to say, because if you're not saying it, then it's not productive for either one of us. Think about what you want to say. What do you what would you like to say to me right now? Are you uncomfortable with me doing this? Yeah, for sure, just making a conversation and it doesn't have to be an argument.
Speaker 3: That's another thing too, And he.
Speaker 5: Did break down. He did, at one point break down his fears and they were out there, burned into my memory. He was like, you know, when you're on stage, people are looking at you. And I was like, man, that's such a crazy sentence to say. It's just insane that you think you could love a girl and other people can't see her.
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: I can't be invisible.
Speaker 6: Some people might see something that you see in me. But then he was like, well, you know, you're hanging out.
Speaker 5: With comedians after the show, and you guys are smoking and drinking, and I'm like, hey, I could get off stage and I could go sit at the table with you and hang out with you and show how dope you are by proxy, but instead you don't come with the show. So yeah, sometimes I do hang out behind the comedy club in a well lit alley.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think what they might be talking about this person this week man might be talking about is is that you do have to display as a comedian. You often have to display emotional availability. You know, you have to, like you can't be like get on stage and be like, well, I'm taking mother, because you know, you're opening up these parts of your life to people. You're on stage, you're well that, you look great, you're funny, you're charming, you have charisma and the thing that they were attracted to about you. Other people could be as well, And I think that would would definitely invite some feelings of you know, jealousy and envy and things like that. I mean, I'm just saying, like, from this person's point of view, if they can if they those things notwithstanding, if they can support you, and even if they can admit like that makes me, you know, I get little jealous of that sometimes, you know, like even if they can do that that much, I'd feel like that would be a good partner if you can at least identify your issues and still kind of like roll with the punches.
Speaker 2: If someone, if someone even I would appreciate someone for admitting that, but I'd be like then this is a whole ass no, because you know, kind of like what you were saying, Schanel, people grow and they change and you have and you have to upgrade and level up and just you know, that's just what adulting is. Me at twenty five is not gonna be me at thirty five. It's gonna be bigger, better and brighter and thicker. So get on board or just double tap the shit that you see because you know, and I always say double tabit, you know, and keep it moving squirrel, you know. And it's one of the mantras like I gave for myself that I always talk about but I will never stop saying, is if you don't want to hear from me, you're gonna hear about me.
Speaker 3: Bye, bitch. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 5: I can't hide, but I'm on the flyers. I'm outside.
Speaker 3: You have to figure out how to like live in the shine. You know you'll have fun, trust me.
Speaker 2: But but also like I have really talented, amazing friends that are introverts, very uncomfortable with dating someone that's an extrovert or even an extrovert introvert right, and so they love it because they get to have like a tour guide. But then when it actually comes to a conversation for more than five minutes, they're like, okay, go now, and it's just like, well, this is why you're doing this person because they are talking to people on the line too, you know, like, Okay, you can go out. So I'm just like, I definitely think there's somebody for everyone. It'll be very interesting to see who you end up with.
Speaker 1: The old African proverb goes, there's a lid for every pot.
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, audience members send questions about adulting, and we love to answer them.
Speaker 3: So would you mind answering some questions.
Speaker 5: With us, Let's do it. I'm an adults. My god.
Speaker 3: Steve Harvey called.
Speaker 2: Ooh, this is a good one, and I want to say this is like this might be. I saw you do a bit about stealing stuff from H and M, which is hilarious, Thank you, And I feel like this question is almost like that, but not really.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: The question is I took my boyfriend's grandmother to the stove and I caught her stealing.
Speaker 3: What do I do and how do I tell him?
Speaker 5: Dangs?
Speaker 6: She dinna say what she stole? That's crazy.
Speaker 5: That's that's like central. I mean, if it's candy, that's funny. You know, let's tell the boyfriend and we'll make a bit about it. Every time I take your grandma's in the store, I guess I gotta watch your pockets. You know, that's hilarious.
Speaker 6: You know if she stole jewelry or you know, something serious.
Speaker 2: Like vodka, well, oh my goodness, guy, is really the where they now set it off? Where like the grandma is Jada Pickersmith, she's a grandma.
Speaker 1: Grandma deserves all the candy she wants. Grandma deserves all the candies she wants. She probably had sex with men that killed Nazis during War two so she can get all the crinkly candy she wants. And that's how crinkly candy bowls get.
Speaker 3: I guess. But you know what I would do. I would keep my purse away from grandma.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, because I also I haven't had good luck with telling a man about his family. I have not had good luck. Don't do it, hey, you know, you know, like if you just say to a man, hey, you want to hear what your mom just said?
Speaker 6: They don't.
Speaker 2: They don't ever say yeah, they're never excited one hundred.
Speaker 5: So I have to say I've learned that lesson.
Speaker 1: I'm one of the few people where I have to admit this about myself. I love this about myself, where like family is not even people have a lot of baggage. My family it feels like you booked a ticket with no no carry ons. You know what I'm saying. Like my family is just like whoa, It's like very clean, Wow, no wipe needed.
Speaker 6: Nothing is bubbling underneath the surface, said every meal.
Speaker 1: They used to be tight, then they got mellow. I don't know what happened. I think it's because we left. But like, my parents are very very chill.
Speaker 3: Were you gonna ask the car question? Sure, yes, this is a good one.
Speaker 1: How do I not get taken advantage of when buying a new car? Double question? Mark?
Speaker 3: You bring a man, you bring a white guy.
Speaker 5: Definitely should have a man with you if he is the older man, preferably. But you know, Michael Ja used to sell cars, and I remember he said, you're not gonna get a good deal in the car. They're gonna rip you off.
Speaker 6: I remember he.
Speaker 5: Said that specifically. He was like, they're just not great investments. You know, they'd depreciate immediately. But yeah, bring a man and you know, I would say, get up periodically and take random phone calls, like while the man is talking the car dealer guy, just just just y set up.
Speaker 6: A scene, shake him up and make him.
Speaker 5: Feel like, oh, she might be leveraging what she's doing here now with something else. And then also lie. I would lie and be like, hey, I came here the other day and they said it was it was this much and he's like who You're like, Steve, just say, just lie and you know, Gary, you know, it's all kind of like theater.
Speaker 1: Buying a car and what do what do y'all? What do y'all think of? Things like Carvana though, like Carvana has actually been advertised so like I remember seeing a Carvana ad which was was like geared and demoed towards women because the commercial shows that want going in to buy a car. And then she's like they're they're like, well they have a.
Speaker 5: Big Carvana machine car dispensary thing in Philly. They put they have like a huge one, but it's in a bad neighborhood. And I wouldn't we didn't think about that just shar I drove around it a few times and I was like, yeah, but I'd have to like get out I'm going. It's just like I would never I.
Speaker 1: Would never go. It feels like a setup.
Speaker 5: It's like this glowing, shiny building and there's car you can see the cars inside, and everybody's like circling it. It's just I would never go there.
Speaker 1: That's Philly is hilarious. So if if it's on the mainline, then you would do it, but not yeah, not where it's at. Okay, I'll say one more thing though, just in case people are interested. My wife bought our car on using Triple A, and Triple A has this like thing where they just kind of bacon and like negotiate. Triple A negotiates with dealerships nationwide. Wow, and you just go in and you purchase your car and they can't even yeah, they can't even say anything, just like, here's your car, and that's it.
Speaker 5: That's amazing and similar and almost closely related to what you just said. I would like to say that a lot of young people don't know that you can get an aar P Carr, and you should, especially if you're a single, young lady. Because I often date men whose cars breakdown, and you know what, I never get stuff because I have an ARP card and I can call hold on, hold.
Speaker 1: On, hold on, hold on, hold on. Why you have an aa ARP card?
Speaker 5: That is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 5: You do not have to be sixty five years old and retired to have an ARP card. You can be young and just don't make a lot of money. And it's like seven dollars a month. And I have full road club. They will if I lock keys in someone else's house or car, they'll come help me. If the car breaks down the club, they will come put gas in the car if the car breaks down.
Speaker 6: Man, And it has saved me.
Speaker 5: I no less than six or seven times I've been with the man and he's looked at me like it's on fire. What should we do? And I was like, I got a card, don't you worry.
Speaker 3: This is this is the commercial, honey, this is yeah, just do it. This is oh, this is where it's at QARP.
Speaker 6: No matter how old you are, go look it up.
Speaker 5: You can get it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get it because I want to play bingo and ride the bus for free and go to GMC and get free vitamins.
Speaker 3: And shit and you get like sounds.
Speaker 5: On hotels everything.
Speaker 2: My parents have ARP and the magazine is pretty good too. My mom kept this one magazine where Viola Davis was on the cover. I'm like, I gotta do more squads with two pounds weights.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I just got to a ar PC later. This is a really good question. I think it's a really good question.
Speaker 2: How long after a five year relationship breakup is the right time to try dating again? Friend, you sound like a serial monogamous, Like just sit on it or get under it.
Speaker 1: I said, eggs just at a new one.
Speaker 5: I say, at least eight months.
Speaker 3: I say at least what Yeah, I say eight minutes.
Speaker 5: You can mess around, like you could hook up. You could put a city in the mouth, you know, But I wouldn't know. I will you know, I would wait. I would wait at least at least eight months. I would say, yeah for something serious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you need time to heal.
Speaker 5: And I often feel like healing sometimes takes a percentage of like however long you're with someone, and five years is significant. You're gonna have to relearn how to do a lot of things in your life day to day. You're gonna have to like relearn whole forms of support and re establish relationships with other people that you should have maintained but you haven't been. And that's gonna take time to prioritize that, to get your life back to that level before you can then try to bring somebody else in because you're in this, you know, this healing phase. You can't bring somebody into your healing phase because you're gonna look different in a couple of months.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I am almost the opposite where I'm just like part of the healing for me is figuring out how to be casual and not put all my eggs in this basket and just like have more fun, create more memories, and not feel like this person.
Speaker 3: Has to be my end all be all.
Speaker 2: That sounds healthy too, but yeah, I wouldn't even know how much time, Like, I don't think you can put like a proper number on it, Like obviously you feel it out. But like for me, the bigger question is if you're getting out of a five year relationship, why do you even want to get back into one?
Speaker 1: Because probably they liked it well, they said dating right, Well, people want to try it again, you know, just give it another shot, you know it's so we do it. We can't help ourselves.
Speaker 3: That's stupid, But you'll just side.
Speaker 1: Me. Okay, here's a question thoughts on having a TV in the bedroom question mark does it ruin sexy time? Yeah? Sometimes people's place is too small to not have it in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: Okay sometimes you Yeah, sometimes you can hook your porn up to the TV.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You gets you a projector and make it bigger.
Speaker 1: Oh only that worked for everything. My own person does not believe in having the TV in the bedroom, and it is exhausting. So what do y'all think? I mean, I love in a hotel. You know you get that. I lay down on the bed.
Speaker 5: BA.
Speaker 2: We've been in this house for three years. We have a TV in our bedroom. I can count on my hands how many times we actually watched something on it.
Speaker 3: We don't even do it. We're about to move it somewhere else. I don't know where.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know why we thought we needed a TV in the bedroom. We just thought it was like cool and adult. But the bed is really for sleeping for us. When I had a studio, it was different, but now we have like an expensive ass couch. So yeah, it depends what your setup is. Yeah, like what's your setup? I love to write in my bed, that's fun. I love writing really yeah. I like pillows prop me up. I can write in my tummy, like I just yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's about if you if you and your partner have like established a vibe or you know, a respectful different vibe than maybe you can maybe you can't. But like if you prioritize reading and writing before you go to bed, you know, then you probably want to. You care more about the lamp and the pillow and the ambiance than the TV. But if he's like, oh, I got to check ESPN, it's like, hey, there's an app for that, and you you don't have to, you don't have to.
Speaker 6: Just just make every everybody be a part of this.
Speaker 5: You know, there's technologies come a long way.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, why are people trying to play around? Like we watch TV and you fall asleep with their computer to your left. You know what I'm saying. People fall asleep with their computer in the bed all the time. And by the way I write, I write in the tub like Trumbo, the great screenwriter with with a feather or a quill, I know you do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Kate Winsley and the reader. Okay, last question. How many times can I say I've had a food poisoning?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: How many times can I say I've had food poisoning before my boss figures out.
Speaker 3: It's a hangover?
Speaker 5: This is a this is a boy kind of sickness.
Speaker 2: Because I would have been, like, I get my period, Like I got my period, you know what I mean, Like that's what I would have said.
Speaker 3: So this definitely is a dude.
Speaker 1: Everybody's so scared that they're gonna get policed, their bodies are gonna get well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I would say.
Speaker 6: I would say the number is like three, three times.
Speaker 5: You can take a good number, and it's got to be they've got to be separated out, and it can't be like around any time where the boss also heard you were having a house running party, Like it can't be within that same.
Speaker 3: Month around Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta like strategically place those but also like as some point you're gonna have to ramp it up and tell your boss like gets cry out a plant that it's like a gas tollers now like I gotta go in there and now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta follow it up.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get yourself a call and cleansed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and after the gastroom in trologists say you got to go to the psycho pharmacologists because the head body connection. You know, now your your your stomach chemical and your brain is getting offset. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Fuck, we see a lot of people don't know that. We're also chemists and comedians. People don't know, but we know all about it and chemistry and.
Speaker 3: This has been a fucking join delight.
Speaker 2: We asked our guests one question one at the end of every episode. What's the most adult thing you would like to do for yourself this year that you haven't done yet?
Speaker 6: Ooh, running out of time?
Speaker 1: Do you want to buy a Treasury bond?
Speaker 5: How did you know.
Speaker 6: Time and take?
Speaker 5: I gotta take these investments seriously. I would like to plan a proper vacation for myself. I think over the last few years, I've been so focused on comedy, so focused on my career, my career Beyonce mod Beyonce mode, that I you know, if I did a vacation, it was because I had a show somewhere and I was planning to do it in the middle of that. So I'd like to, like, you know, plan a nice trip and maybe turn my phone off, don't get crazy, don't get crazy, whoa.
Speaker 6: You know, you know, maybe watch some TV before bed crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would like to. I would like to do that, a nice adult vacation.
Speaker 3: I think we deserve it.
Speaker 2: I feel like our ancestors have worked so fucking hard. Yeah, why do we have to work this hard? Our bones are tired.
Speaker 5: I'll probably go to an island somewhere, I don't know, maybe Jamaica's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lovely Michelle you know Michelle's have Jamaica Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom's in Jamaica.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been there before, but I would love to go back.
Speaker 3: It's great. Yeah, me too. I wish they weren't less Homophobica than that. I love Jamaica.
Speaker 1: This is Jamaican me crazy.
Speaker 3: It has been such a motherfucking pleasure. I can't wait to see you. I r L and look.
Speaker 2: Will you promise me the next time you are a stand in and there is an intimate scene that you will just go for the motherfucking gold.
Speaker 5: I will do it for you, and I will do it for Jamaica.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Usain Bolt, thanks you bye bye.
Speaker 1: Wow. That was fun.
Speaker 3: I know that was really fun.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've covered this felt like four brunches in one between funerals and vacations and work stuff.
Speaker 1: Nah, she was, Sanela is great. I was always admiring all her videos online and I've seen her stand up, and I really liked the time we got to spend together, what little there was of it when we were making Everything's Trash available on Hulu and free Form. And I just I don't know when I when I see young up and coming comedians like that and like the future's bright, not just for her, but just like.
Speaker 3: And I love I love the hustle, I love the drive.
Speaker 2: I love the looking inside themselves to figure out what they want to say, as opposed to just you know, you just meet a lot of people that are just kind of starfuckery and just live in algorithms and social media numbers. And so it's really nice and important and fulfilling to meet black women who are definitely gonna make the world a better place one joke at a time. Yeah, for sure, Oh yes, and yes, and usually I got usually I gotta go take my broad off, but now I gotta go put my bra on.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's too much.
Speaker 2: It's like the kids at the kiddie pool are like just swimming in different directions.
Speaker 3: Bye, what say goodbye?
Speaker 6: I can't.
Speaker 1: You're making me laugh too hard. You're making me laugh My microphone fell off?
Speaker 3: Oh is that what we're calling it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Goodbye bye? This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Our senior producer is Natalie Wrinn.
Speaker 1: Senior Managing producer is Hanna Kyle Kraig.
Speaker 3: This episode was sound design and engineered by Ryobam. Our guest booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by DJ don Will.
Speaker 3: Photography by Chris spender.
Speaker 1: Moss, artwork by Jamie Bechtel.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Karen Kilgarriff, Georgia Hartstark and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 1: Follow the show on Instagram at Adulting the Pod.
Speaker 2: Email your questions to Adulting Questions at gmail dot com