Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock Act. We did it. We made it to a Wednesday. It's hour one Dan and the Dan at Stan Patrick Show. We're ready to go. Morale is hi? A lot of things to talk about. The Sandman Adam Sandler will stop by a little bit later. On phone calls, always welcome eight seven to seven three. DP Show Operator Tyler is sitting my not doing anything, waiting for your phone calls. Say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country iHeartRadio and Fox Sports Radio as well. Stat of the Day brought to you by Vanini America, the official trading Cards Dan Patrick Show, and the official walkie talkie of the DP Show, The Push to Talk Rapid Radios. Visit Rapid radios dot com get sixty percent off and free shipping, Play the Day, poll questions, stat of the Day, all to that. Forthcoming NFL camps are open for business, but some players are not. Terry McLaurin of the Commanders is holding out. This is one that doesn't make the headlines like Michaeh Parsons, even Trey Hendrickson, but it should because Terry McLaurin is twenty nine years of age in the last year of his deal with the Commanders, and if you look at over the last three seasons, he's made two Pro Bowls. Last year second team All Pro, eighty two catches, eleven hundred yards and thirteen touchdowns, and to be able to help Jaden Daniels make that transition into a very successful rookie year. But this isn't getting a lot of attention now. If he was playing for the Cowboys, it would, but he plays for the Commander. But the Commanders are on the short odds of a team that can compete for a Super Bowl this year, certainly more better odds than the Cowboys. But Michael Parsons situation, which we talked about, is he's going to be the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL. It's going to happen. It's inevitable. The question is when is it going to and is there going to be any aftershocks because it just feels like Jerry Jones is saying things, and you say things. He loves to go to a press conference, hold a press conference, and then all of a sudden he starts talking, and then you go down a rabbit hole and then you might be saying something that bothers that person. Now, I don't know if Michael Parsons, you know, he doesn't have any other options. He wants to be a cowboy. He'll be a cowboy. It's just I don't understand the runway with this. You know, where you're taking all this time to do what? What exactly are you accomplish Unless this saves you money because you don't have to pay him, maybe you hold that off for a couple of months. Okay, But I just think trying to get goodwill with contracts with players, you know, I go back to Trey Hendrickson when the owner who inherited the team from his dad is talking about Trey Hendrickson being a little emotional with his contract. Okay, Mike Brown is being disingenuous to Trey Hendrickson. Mike Brown negotiates all these contracts. He doesn't have any emotional investment in this unless you don't listen to him and acquiesce to him, then he becomes a little emotional. Trey Hendrickson is just fighting for what he thinks he's worth. He's outperformed TJ. Watt the last two years. Now, is he going to get money that is similar? No, but you could have had him for thirty four million dollars. Now it's gone up to forty million dollars for these edge rushers, and Mikeah Parson's probably going to get forty two million dollars. Just trying to understand the logic of let me take care of you. And the Eagles they are the blueprint. They have been brilliant in signing these players, signing them early because if you look at some of the deals that they've signed, they got bargains here, and I think that's where some of these owners they tried to play hardball here. And do I think Trey Hendrickson eventually gets paid. I do now at least they were looking at maybe the trade options for him. Dallas isn't doing that with Mike Caparsons. But Mike Comparsons spoke yesterday and you know, Cowboys camp is open, and he was asked if the Cowboys do want to get a deal done. Cowboys, I want to get a deal done.
Speaker 2: I mean honestly, you know, you know, for me, if it don't man like I said, I've been pretty consistent. If they don't want me here, they don't want me here, I'll go around my business. I understand the nature of business. Why I said, as long as I'm hearing an under concert, I'm gonna do what I have to do to perform at.
Speaker 1: The highest level. This is Dan, This is Dan.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's the same way to Jones, j Jones and Stephen Jones and how did Jerry Jones take care of their family? It's the same way I need to take care of my family.
Speaker 1: Do I mean?
Speaker 2: I got my own three kids of our own, so we all need to take care.
Speaker 1: Of my wanta family. Then you goes, Okay, it's going to get done. That's why I don't want to waste your time, you know, talking about the Cowboys. If this wasn't going to get done, If I thought that there was a real risk here. Then it's a big story. I do think it's a story just from the standpoint of once again it's Jerry doing this. He did this to Dak Prescott. Remember Dak signed his deal. What was that the Sunday of the first week of the NFL season prior to the game. Did you need to go that far that long to mak him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. Seems like you could have done that earlier. Now you take kind of a slight or shot at Dak Prescott that he didn't stay healthy. I had to pay him all this money and Dak Michael Parsons could get hit by a car, and like, what are we doing here? You're running a business. It just feels like this is more entertainment than running a business. Hey, I'm going to go to a press conference and I'm going to be all over Sports Center. That's disappointing. If I'm a Cowboy fan, you just want him to do it right, Just do it right. Get our guys in. Okay, you overpaid for Dak, All right, ceedee, Lamb's a really good player. You're spending thirty million. Mike's going to cost you a forty two million. Dak cost you sixty million. Okay, Now let's work on the rest of the roster because we have to compete in a division that has the Eagles and the Commanders. You know, the Bengals are in a division with the Ravens and the Steelers are all in. Now that's what I don't understand with the Bengals logic as well. Now you have you know, Mike Brown, the Bengals president, saying it's foolishness that Shamar Stewart is still unsigned. In the language here is Stuart wants everything guaranteed, even if there's conduct detrimental to the team. He wants everything fully guaranteed. And then Mike Brown said, well, we don't want to pay somebody who could be in jail, which is a big leap of you know, faith of or lack of faith with the guy you drafted. Yeah, but he could end up in jail, and then I don't want to pay that. Okay. So this is once again, it's the Bengals. And yes, they've been to a Super Bowl, they've been to a Super Bowl more recent than the Cowboys. But when you have these owners who get involved or how they get involved, it usually doesn't go well. Most of your organizations owners don't get involved. They have gms and coaches who do that. But Jerry loved Jerry is the coach and the GM and the owner. And you know, after a while, you go, it's unfortunate because I would say to Michael Parsons, you could assign Michael Parsons to a deal that was less than teach Jay Watt or Miles Garrett. You could have done this. You could have been proactive to say, dude, you're our guy, and you could have saved some money here. And this is all about squeezing everybody in that salary cap. And this is a team that is so top heavy. I mean, is there another team in the NFL that's this top heavy quarterback, wide receiver, edge rusher. Is anybody coming close to the Cowboys in how much money they're spending. But you could have got ahead of this. You could have done that with Dak, You could have done that with Cede Lamb, and you certainly could have done that with Mike comparisons. Remember, this is ownership that says they're all in. What does that mean? All in? And then the Bengals you need defense because the Ravens are going to be a super Bowl contender. The Steelers probably better than they were last year. Get in front of this. We know, gone are the old school ways that we're playing hardball these guys, you know this, This has to be almost working together, hand in hand, a partnership with these players. Trey Hendrickson wants to be there. You don't act like you want him to be there. Michael Parsons wants to be there. You don't act like you want him to be there, or we do. But you're not getting a team friendly deal. If I'm Michael Parsons, no way would I give you a team friendly deal if I was kind of proactive to this months ago. Yes, I mean look at Mahomes. Mahomes gave the Chiefs a team friendly deal. Why because he had trust in the front office. They would continue to surround him with talent. They would be competing for Super Bowls. Now, yes, it's a ten year deal for five hundred million dollars, but still I said it at the time, in two or three years, this will be a bargain. And that's exactly what's happened with this. But he had trust in ownership, he had trust in his GM trust in his coach, and look how that's played out. Brady did that. Hey, I'll help you here, But I have trust, I have the best coach in history, and I have a great owner, a Hall of fame owner, and I'm going to be competing for championships. And I think it worked out pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulie, And you're exactly right about signing early to save a couple bucks. If you go back to Joe Burrow and the Bengals, they signed him a year earlier. They could have waited a whole another year. He's completely under contract, but they thought, we know what we have. He's a sure thing. We sign him now, we get him at this rate. We sign him a year later at that rate is now three million more per year. So they look at his saving money by signing one year early.
Speaker 1: And that could mean the difference of keeping somebody, signing somebody and three million dollars. But I once again, I'm not sure I understand the logic of this with the Bengals situation and certainly the Dallas Cowboys, but I will say I think I don't think Mike Brown is looking for attention. I think Jerry Jones is looking for attention. He loves attention and he got it and this will pass. That's why when I bring it up, I'm like, gosh, how important is this because Michaeh Parsons will get signed? Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I mean I agree to some extent, but I think you can sign a player early and save a couple of bucks, right, and you sign a four year deal at this rate, and then year two they have the best year of their career and they say, well, maybe we rearrange year three and I'm just going to sit out here a year early before we can really start talking about this. I mean, we saw, like Darrell Reeves. We've seen people that dude was a master of holding out. He would sign a ten year deal and after year two be like, Nope, redo it, which I'm all for actually, but there really is no you can get in early, but that just means that's the earlier you're going to be renegotiating the back end of that contract.
Speaker 1: But look at what the Eagles did. They got in early, and they got bargains and they're favored to repeat as a Super Bowl champ. I understand what you're saying, and I don't agree with these players who say Hey, I outperform my contract. No, this is a contract you sign. You have to live up to something here because nobody ever gives money back. If Trey Hendrickson signs for thirty five million, it's not like he's gonna go, hey, I only had four sacks. Wait a minute, you want me to give money back? Yeah?
Speaker 4: See, this is what drives me crazy. Are we paying for potential or are we paying for performance? Because Trey Hendrickson, he's performed. Now pay the guy who's like, wow, why would we pay him? He's already done everything. Now he's too old, we already got his best years. We're not going to pay him now. Well, then, which side of it is it? I understand that there's a certain mindset of like, how about we don't pay anybody ever anything and just get them for as cheap as possible. I understand that it's garbage, but I get it. You either have to choose one side of it or the other. You're either choosing them on potential or you're choosing them on performance.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's the timing of that. But also with Trey Hendrickson, you know he's thirty. If he was twenty eight, then maybe maybe it's different, but thirty and you're saying, man, we got thirty five sacks out of this guy the last two years, what do we want to give him. Meanwhile, the Steelers looked at TJ. Watt, same age and said, we're going to make you the highest paid defensive player in the game, highest paid non quarterback in the game. So I think it's depends on the timing and depends on the organization.
Speaker 3: YESO and Miles Garrett two years younger than Trey Hendrickson, and that's it. It's not even a question that he gets a deal. What if Trey Hendrickson did a deal where he got I want three million dollars per sec. There's the contract, give me three million dollars for the next three season contract three million dollars per sec. If I get fifteen sacks, I've done my job. I'm a first team All Pro and you can be forty five million bucks. Everybody wins and can't do that. I know you can't, but it'd be great if you could.
Speaker 1: Now if he said give me two million per sack, so that's thirty million, and then you could give him another bonus if he makes an All Pro or Pro Bowl. And I don't know if you can put that language into contracts or how much you can put into a contract, but you know that's where a player then gets selfish, where you know you're asking him to do something, or you know, wide receivers would do that, and they come back to the huddle. I gotta get my touches, man. You know, I got to get x number of yards. I got to get X number of catches. Then it becomes selfish and it's detrimental to the team. But it is interesting when we talk about do I pay you on potential? Do I pay you on performance? I think it depends on the team and the age of the player with them. We'll take a break. We're going to settle on a poll question. We'll come up with a couple options. Sandman will join us. Tyro matthew announces his retirement as training camp gets ready to start, and we are going to have the Hall of Very Good a little bit later on the football version of the Hall of Very Good. Take a break, just getting started on this Wednesday. Glad to have you on board Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch US live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 5: Hey, We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 5: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 6: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you bloverer Lia.
Speaker 1: Well you know what it's called over promise.
Speaker 5: You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 1: Well, if you don't get enough.
Speaker 5: Covino and Rich make sure you check out over Promised and also uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 6: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Coavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Ozzy Osbourne passing away yesterday at the age of seventy six. I believe it's one of those great mysteries that you have. You know, there's certain artists where you go, man, that guy is crazy. And I remember the first time I heard about Ozzy. It's like he bit the head off of bat? What? And then all of a sudden he had to get shots, you know, ray these shots because he bit the head off of I don't know if he did bite the head off a bat, but there was always this mystery of Ozzy Osbourne. What does he do when he goes home? Does he live in a dungeon? What is he up to? And then all of a sudden you had the Osbourne's that came out totally ruined what I thought the vibe was gonna be with Ozzy Osbourne where you see this guy kind of shuffling around the kitchen, Sharad got the little dogs that are crapping on the floor and you know he needs help with everything. They have to have close caption putting his you know, translating what he's saying, and you go, oh, no, that's not our rock star Ozzy Osbourne. But you couldn't go to a sports venue it feels like without hearing crazy tray from Ozzy Osbourne. It just feels like every team and not just professional teams. And uh, the the illusion that he gave you. Like Alice Cooper was one of the first artists back in the seventies where he had a guillotine and he you know, cutting somebody's head off or giving the impression their snakes and there and then I met Alice Cooper in Scottsdale playing golf and could not have been just a more normal, nice guy drinking Budweiser's and h see, sometimes when you know, I don't I don't want to be behind the curtain with some of these artists and realize that you know they're into Macro may or you know they're gonna be knitting or something in a rocking chair or something. Yes, Paulie Fritzy and I were talking about it.
Speaker 3: We were little kids when Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath were hitting, so we didn't know the music, but you could not know who Ozzy Osbourne was. I remember he was like a nightmare tale for kids, or remember kay he was. He's a crazy guy from London who bit a head off a bat in concert, and he was You didn't have to know anything about music to know who he was and be a little intimidated or scared by his presence.
Speaker 7: I heard he got fifty shots in the Necker come of crazy stories going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it was the music as much for a lot of people now obviously diehard Black Sabbath fans, but I think for the general public, they knew about Ozzy because he supposedly bit the bat head off a bat, and then people knew him for his show, which was a great reality show. I mean that was that was very entertaining, but it did ruin the image of who I thought, you know, Ozzy Osbourne was going to be. You're putting subtitles up there and you're going I don't know, what he said, and they finally put it up there. I think that's what he's saying here. Yes, Marvin, I.
Speaker 7: Think we're probably a generational gap for a lot of people because they're probably the younger kids that are like, oh, the guy from the Osbourne's, and probably your dads and their moms were like no, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 7: He was somebody before the Osborne's reality show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Black Sabbath Ozzie age of seventy six, and he had one last concert a couple of weeks ago, and I felt bad for him. Now, they were raising money, and I think they raised a lot of money, but I mean they really had to wheeling him out there and have him perform one more time, and his daughter got engaged I think backstage after the show, and I just I don't know, it felt like they were propping him up there. I felt bad for him, but maybe maybe you know, he got great joy out of that that he got to perform one last time.
Speaker 4: Yes, he but whenever I got to see him in concert a couple of times solo and with Black Sabbath, they did like a reunion tour, and that was just seeing Ozzy was one thing, but Black Sabbath. It was even though he was reading off the prompter, he was still like this version of Ozzy where he really couldn't move, he couldn't do whatever.
Speaker 1: It was still incredible where you're.
Speaker 4: Like, that's him, that's him right there, and that's like Tony I only this is Black Sabbath and they're playing paranoid.
Speaker 1: This is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: But what an incredible moment to have that type of you know, it must have been forty years since that album came out, that came out in like seventy, I guess, just seeing him and all of that mystery, even if it had been gone a little bit, it was still Ozzy and it was still that moment.
Speaker 1: Guy. It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauly, And in the past twenty years I looked it up. A lot of Black Sabbath songs have been used in different movies, big movies, the biggest one being the movie Iron Man. They don't use the song at all. They use back in black and during this movie, but at the very end, when Tony Stark goes, I Am iron Man, they cut to the credits and they play iron Man to end the mo movie, and it's just perfect timing.
Speaker 1: All right eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com. Twitter handled the DP show ratings for the British Open, the Open Championship up twenty one percent. How about that? So you had a foregone conclusion and people still watch? Now, I don't know if people watch more. People watch because you're looking at a golf course that's unlike our golf courses. This is link style. It's on the water. You know, you're looking at fairways that don't look like fairways. The bunkers are different than ours. Greens are sometimes huge. But people watched. They watched Scotti Scheffler. Now do I think he's a ratings draw like Tiger, No, nobody is. But the fact that the ratings were up twenty one percent and I think up maybe fourteen percent on Sunday when I think everybody knew Scotty Scheffler was going to win. The ratings for the WNBA All Star Game they were down thirty five percent over last year. See this is this is a tricky time for the WNBA because they are looking for more money. They should be paid more money. I just think there has to be an awareness around the league of it's not a house of cards, But you do need Caitlin Clark. You need her. And I don't know if everybody looks at this the same way because there's a lot of players and teams that are very good, but there have been players and teams that have been very good for the last twenty years. You've got to be careful with this. Embrace those that need to be embraced. I'm not saying different rules. I'm not saying officiate differently, but I am saying embracing what she means. And even Angel Reese. Angel Reese, you know she brings people to the TVs that she brings people to the arenas. She's not a dynamic player, but she is a personality and she plays hard. But understanding that the league has had this, they've had teams, they've had Hall of Fame players, they've never had Caitlin Clark, and it just feels like there's this, yeah, kind of tolerating Caitlin Clark. These numbers are real. The number of people who were interested in watching this. This isn't those who showed up at the arena in the Indianapolis. This is those watching TV. Those numbers, that's a subtle reminder of be careful, be careful that you don't kill the golden goose. Yes, Paulin, I.
Speaker 3: Know it's apples and oranges and not comparing the two athletes, But the past twenty five years, when Tiger Woods would not be present for a major, the casual fan skipped it and that took a little off the top of the numbers. WNBA fans they still watch the WNBA All Star Game, but when Tiger would be out for a major, it took just a little heat off it and it showed up in the ratings.
Speaker 1: Well, you're looking for the casuals sports fan. There were fans who watched who weren't golfers when Tiger was Tiger. You have basketball fans maybe that begrudgingly watch, but then I think when they watched, they realize how talented these women are. You just have to get people to watch a game. You have to get them to go to a game or watch watch the TV. This is you know those numbers, that's real. And Caitlin Clark has been injured all season long, not able to play. We thought that it was going to be a big bonanza playing in you know, her town, Indianapolis, But thirty five percent ratings down from the previous year. All right, pull question, Seaton, what are we going to go with Hour one?
Speaker 4: Let's see if your team could only sign one All pro for the same money, just sign a wide receiver or a defensive end.
Speaker 1: So do I want Justin Jefferson or Miles Garrett? We say that you could say that you could. Man, I'm gonna take Miles Garrett because I don't think there's that many of those guys. I think we have a lot of wide receivers. Justin Jefferson is you know, is he better than jamar Cha. I mean, we could go down the list and say we could group ce d Lamb. There's there's wide receivers you can group in there. But you know, Miles Garrett, T J. Watt, Michael Parsons, I mean that's about it. Nick Bosa, Max Crosby kind of in there as well. I'd probably take a guy who I know can impact every single play because he has to. He's on defense. Where's Justin Jefferson? How many plays Willie influence?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: Is he going to take maybe two defenders with him and help somebody else? Does that help in the running game where the defensive backs are playing back a little bit further. I understand all of that, but I think, like Aaron Donald, to me, you can make a case was the best player in the NFL, most valuable player in the NFL. From the standpoint of it, felt like impacted every single play one way or another. He was going to impact two guys had to block him, and he was still going to disrupt the play. We don't hand out MVPs to defensive players, but he was one of those guys that you had to know where he was every single play. Even if you did, he was going to be a disruptor. You don't have too many of those players. Justin Jefferson is spectacular. But if you said I get Jamar Chase and you get Justin Jefferson, I'm okay with that. Miles Garrett, I would probably say I'd take him over Justin Jefferson. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here, by the way, Andrew and Washington, Good morning, Andrew, welcome back.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Dan Dennett. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 9: It's great to be back. Just had two comments, one on Jerry Jones, one on The Rich Eisen Show being sore losers. But Jerry Jones He just seems like that guy in the neighborhood that wants everybody to know he can pay whatever he wants or something, that he's the richest man on the block, and no matter what he does, he will always end up getting what he wants and it doesn't.
Speaker 8: Matter how much they pay for it. But everybody talks in the neighborhood behind his back, like, dang, jeredy, why are he paying so much for that stuff? I can get that stuff no matter what, or I can get a better version of it for cheaper. So I just kind of see him as that old man that just wants to spend his money. Rich Eisen show, I went back and watched it again as far as the family feud, and yeah, they were icy in the end of game celebration. Like you said, Dan, there must have been some talk going on because you look at you guys. You guys are happy, You want to receive them, you want to shake some hands. You guys did it for charity. The guys looked a little icy.
Speaker 1: If you go back and watch it, Yeah, well I know I felt it. I'm actually jumping up and down celebrating with Fritzy and one of Rich's producers. He said, uh, you know, and he started to talk about they gave Fritzy a second chance. You're not supposed to give a second chance. I'm like, uh, I'm I'm celebrating here. We're jumping up and down. We're on TV right now. How bet you act enthused? We're on TV? Faked, faked a little bit here, Come on, you're better than that. Lacheryl in Georgia, Hila Cheryl.
Speaker 10: Hi five seven and a half and an amazing two o nine.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 10: First, my condolences to the Osborne as well as the Warner families and their huge fan bases.
Speaker 9: Who have lost their loved ones over the weekends.
Speaker 10: My heart and prayer prayers are with them. I am calling this morning as well to wish my husband, mister Bill Badgett, my name, my name, my man who it was a long time hardcore DP show fan, a wonderful happy thirty eighth birthday from myself in our two year old Harper Rose, Harper, can you tell daddy happy birthday?
Speaker 1: Than alrighty? But how about that, Cheryl? Thank you? That's very nice? Was it? Harper Rose? Is that the two year old, two year old thing? Very nice? So it's a Bill. It's Bill's birthday, Cheryl, Yes, thirty alright, thirty eighth birthday. Here we go, Happy birthday. Thank you.
Speaker 10: You're gonna love this.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Very sweet, very sweet. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 11: Dan?
Speaker 12: H Yeah, figurebacking on what the other caller said, Yeah, Rich Island, he seemed to be a little bit salty.
Speaker 8: Uh, but he comes from but the school at.
Speaker 12: Michigan, which is known for cheating and scandal.
Speaker 1: And I just think he's just.
Speaker 12: Hanging out with hanging out with powner Stallions a little bit too much. So I think maybe he just needs to get off the crazy train. Ozzy Osbourne reference, rest in peace.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, thank you, David, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes see, if I'm not mistaken, Rich's quote was, I'm sorry, Dan, I can't hear you with the ring in my ear after Michigan had won that title and been accused of cheating all around that same time. Is that what you're saying to Rich right now? Rich, I'm sorry, I can't hear you with the ringing in my.
Speaker 1: Celebrity family feud here, Yeah, and and Rich stealing the line from Patrick Waugh when he used that with his uh his super or Stanley covering. So there's rich but you know he's taking from Patrick Wah's line. That couldn't hear sampling. I guess is what. I don't know why they want to make this a feud, but they seem hell bent on. They're basically calling I think Steve Harvey a cheater that he helped cheat to help us with I think that's what they're saying. My interpreting that correctly, because you're saying that somehow, some way Steve Harvey wanted us to win. Paul.
Speaker 3: Steve doesn't make the call. Mister Harvey doesn't make the call on the set. There's producers back there and who say.
Speaker 1: What to do.
Speaker 3: It was a blip moment where Fritzi had an answer that was up there and they said, no, give me another. That was the entire thing.
Speaker 1: We go by what they tell us to do. They've done that before, correct from what we've been told by expert witnesses that they've seen Steve do that before. But cheating. I think we took advantage of something maybe, but not cheat because we didn't know we did anything wrong. Uh. Kenny in Indiana Hi, Kenny, what's on your mind? Good morning everybody. Two quick things.
Speaker 11: You know Rich Eisen's group, it's no worse than a bad call. It went your way instead of their way. Get over it, good grief and it triggute to Ozzy Osbourne, you ought to have your crack research team dig up his rendition of taking me out of the ball game that he sung at Wrigley Field. The poor man didn't even remember the words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was tough, that one's uh, that's up there and seventh inning stretch lore at Wrigley Field. All right, we'll take a break, We'll get more phone calls. Adam Sandler's going to join us, coming up next hour the Sandman and play the day up next. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until New Inn Eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash The Dan Patrick Show. The Play of the Day.
Speaker 3: Play this is the.
Speaker 1: Play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 3: There comes to two two swung on plasted lift off right field.
Speaker 12: This one is gonna go.
Speaker 13: It is out of here.
Speaker 1: Cow really number thirty nine on the season, and he has given the Mariners the lead with one big swing as courtesy of the Mariners Radio network, The Big Dumper as they like to call him, cal Raleigh thirty ninth home run of the season. That is your play of the day. Tyre Rak's been doing it for over forty years. The right tires for how and what and where you drive ship fast and free back my free road hazard protection convenient instantly options like mobile tire installation tyreq dot com. The way tire buying should be. A nickname is so important to certain players like Honey Badger Tyron Matthew who just retired. You knew him. He was a Heisman finalist. He was Honey Badger, the Big Dumper. I mean, cal Rawley's playing in Seattle, so not exactly your media capital, getting a lot of attention there, but getting a lot or more attention because of the nickname. Now he is performing well, thirty nine home runs pretty incredible, But you're also you have the nickname there. It just helps. I wonder about this, like Hoody and the Blowfish, if they were just called whatever, you know, throw out a name, it just wouldn't be the same. You know, Hoody and the Blowfish stood out because you're thinking, all right, is Darius Hoody and they're the Blowfish and it's yet it's neither. It's really they had two friends in college. One was named Hoodie and one was named Blowfish, and they decided to call the band that. But if it's just you know, four generic guys with a name. Now, they did have some hits, but I do think having the name, the nickname or band name is really important sometimes because he would just be cal Raley. Oh, who's the guy who plays in Seattle. He was hitting all the home runs. Oh it's the big dumper, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: That's like a guy like Frank Thomas. Somebody went to high school with somebody named Frank Thomas. But the big hurt. The nickname made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Dion with Prime. I mean, they're just certain nicknames. Ali was the greatest. You know, some of those people already had the attention. But it's the guys who were kind of on the periphery where you go, who's the guy, and then you might remember the nickname, like Honey Badger. If I said Tyron Matthew retire and you'd be like, oh uh, who's that honeybag honey badger retired? Yeah he did, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: And good players or semi great players can be emboldened by that nickname. If you say, hey, David Ortiz, I ran into him. But if you say big Poppy, everyone knows a big Poppy is. You barely need to know baseball or the big unit. Randy Johnson had a look. He was tall, he was wild. But then you throw in the big unit or oil can boy. There was a pitcher Dennis Boyd for the Red Sox years and years ago. Oil Can Boyd was cool and it gave him a hook.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know what his stats were. I just knew that oil Can Boyd because he drank these beers that looked like a can of motor oil. I think that's how he got his nickname. Yes, Marvin, Yeah, George.
Speaker 7: Ruth, that's not moving me, but Babe Ruth for sure.
Speaker 1: Lou gerrig the iron Man, he was the original iron Man. Yeah, having that nickname that's helped Cal Rawleigh here now thirty nine home runs. Let's see Quinton in Arkansas? Hi, Quinton? What's on your mind today. Hey, good morning, Nan five nine six.
Speaker 14: Well, I wanted to kind of touch base on the Nielsen ratings that you'd mentioned with the Open as well as the WNBA. So I'm in the industry, and one of the things Nielsen did in the last couple of months is they unveiled their new kind of big data panel hybrid service where it blends traditional sampling with first party data from all these streaming platforms. So, I guess I want to propose the question, we've really seen these big swings in recent months where every big event is setting all these Nielsen ratings, or is it we're just getting better at kind of collecting this data with the way that we consume sporting events.
Speaker 1: Now, thanks, thank you, Quintin. I think we're better at gathering the data. Remember you used to have a Nielsen box. You had to kind of log what you watched. I mean, it was an inexact science, but there was a lot attached to the Nielsen ratings. I think trying to get the streaming part of you know, platforms and be able to gather that information. But you know, these are sometimes the numbers are really good, or you know, a football game it's on Amazon, and what's the number going to be where you know, traditional media like NBC. But you know, we were looking at Scotti Scheffler and that the ratings are up, you know, twenty one percent. Uh, Caitlin Clark not playing in the WNBA All Star Game, they're down thirty five percent. So you can't say, oh, yeah, the numbers are getting bigger and better when the WNBA. That's a huge drop thirty five percent over the previous year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie, and I think Otani would and is having that effect with baseball. He's in the World Series. It truly is a World Series, and the casual fan wants to see Otani do both this year in the World Series because it appears he's going to pitch in the postseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, there's only a couple athletes like that. There's only been a couple athletes through history where we're watching because they're playing Jordan. You watch because he was playing Tiger, You watch because he was playing I mean, the numbers will you know, prove that bear that out. Caitlin Clark when she plays, the numbers they bear that out. But you know, it's a handful that you have. But as far as Nielsen ratings. It was just like an inexact. I think we got a Nielsen box one time. Growing up, we forgot the law. We didn't write stuff down. We had no I don't know. Hey, we watched gun Smoke, Okay, write it down. We watched Gilligan's Island. I don't know what it did for those ratings. If anything, we probably screwed them up. Let's see Billy and Washington. Hi, Billy, and how.
Speaker 7: Are we doing?
Speaker 1: Brother? Good?
Speaker 13: Hey, I just want to give I just want to give a quick shout out to my boy seating in the back there. Hot Water Music, best band in my lifetime. Chuck is the man, and love you guys.
Speaker 1: Peace. All right, Well, thank you, Billy. That's Seaton's band. All right, shout out hot Water Music. Yeah, lads on tour now check social media for dates. Okay, you won't update the pole results from the first hour of that sek. I would love to Is hot Water Music the greatest band ever? Yes?
Speaker 4: And yes, if my team could only sign one all pro for the same money, wide receiver or defensive end DNS, running away with it seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Percent of that vote. That makes sense. By the way, Rich Hill forty five years of age, pitched for the Royals last night. Five innings. He gave up six hits, one earned run, and his fastest pitch was ninety one miles per hour. Forty five years of age. Good for him. Bring in some cheese there over ninety miles an hour at forty five Love it all right. One hour in the books on this Wednesday. Two more to go, including coming up in thirty minutes from now, Adam Sandler. We'll stop by Fritzie's here Seaton. Marv Pauli, Yours truly, Hour two of the Dan Patrick Show. After this