Speaker 1: So we have all had our fair share of talk show appearances, but Writer apparently has the worst of all of them.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I've had like four of the worst. Oh I've been forced to sing multiple times. I've been asked to go Like I showed up at one and it was a win a date with your favorite keen actors, and I didn't.
Speaker 3: Win a date with Hey.
Speaker 2: It was like three girls were brought in and they had to like each ask me questions and.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, how did you not die? Inside writers Hell? I know literally Writer's Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, But yeah, no, I think the one you're referring to is when I was on Regis and Kathy Lee. So I was promoting I think it was my giant that the movie I was in, the Billy Crystal movie that I had like a small part in, and they flew me out to New York to do publicity and go to some screening.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: So I was only seventeen in New York City with my friend Nathan at the and like just having a great time, and at six am they picked me up in a limo to take me and I'm like, I mean just based on having had horrible I'm so bad at talk shows like, oh, like wait.
Speaker 3: I can see that. Yeah, I love you and I can see that. Yeah, oh my god. Billed for the talk show, Would you asked me to do Good Morning America with you?
Speaker 2: Like way back when you were promoting, I hear voices. I was like, Okay, I'm gonna do this for Will, I'm going to do this. And then I get up there and the Good Morning America was the worst thing ever. My friend Todd texted me, He's like, you look like you were being held hostage, Like because you were, you were Will.
Speaker 3: Made me do Good Morning America. Totally.
Speaker 2: There are things I'm good at, Like I'm good at Q and a's like, you know, great, like if you if it's like I'm up there and doing a Q and A, especially if it's about like something I wrote or directed, I'm all about it. But just like actory talk show appearance is nothing's worth. So anyway, I get in the limo for Kathy and and Regius and I'm so like just already so nervous, and my publicist who's like taking me around New York for all the others is sitting in there She's like, Okay, have you heard, Like I don't know. She's say, we just found out. Kathy Lee found out last night that her husband is cheating on her. And it was if you guys, remember there was this her husband who was a football player, so he was like famous in his own right. He'd been having Okay, Frank Giffort, he had been caught having an affair. I was on the next morning and they were like, basically, they were like, Kathy Lee is doing the show. She just she's gonna, you know, not talk about it. She is not going to reference it. We are acting like everything is normal, and I'm like sweating bullets in the limo and they're like, whatever you do, do not talk about her family, Do not ask her about her children, do not talk about marriage, do not talk about dating. I was like, oh my god, oh my god, you're just ready to get any moment to like ruin this woman's life on national television by saying the wrong thing. So I go out there and like sure enough, I'm so nervous. If you I'm sure we can find the clip. But like my callers all messed up, Like I walked out on stage with like my collar tucked in under my shirt.
Speaker 3: I'm so awkward.
Speaker 1: It was probably because you had just been having an affair. Exactly, you walk out, you go sorry. I wasn't having an affair with it. I wasn't having an affair with anybody.
Speaker 3: How's your family? Your kids?
Speaker 5: Oh god?
Speaker 3: Exactly. I look at this poor woman and she is puffy caked in makeup.
Speaker 2: Like like you know, you're always wearing a lot of makeup, but she is like covered in like clearly just been crying all morning and is trying to put on a good.
Speaker 4: Face this morning. She probably hadn't even slept.
Speaker 3: And has to do her talk show.
Speaker 4: It was the I was so tell us about I say it.
Speaker 2: No, I think she held it together pretty well, but like, of course, the whole audience, like everyone knows it was like. And then at one point I brought up somehow, like the fact that I had been Leama's robb came up, and she was like, that was a very that's a very moral story. It's about moral characters doing the right things. It's a real morality tale. And I just remember looking at her being.
Speaker 3: Like, sure is, miss Kathleen, do you want to talk about morality?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, oh god, he stole a loaf of infidelity.
Speaker 4: Wait, I mean read.
Speaker 6: Oh it's so we're laughing, but it's there's nothing worse. I mean, it's you've got ride or Strong, who's already the most just miserable having to be at a talk show, then coupled with we gotta you know, you already don't know what you're gonna talk about, but now we're gonna put it in your head. It's like the old saying of don't think of a white elephant.
Speaker 3: Rights.
Speaker 6: If you just didn't say anything, I probably wouldn't walk out there and be thinking about her.
Speaker 3: Family and morality. And but oh god.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is like you have to be you have to be like really produced. Like the whole point of doing those talk shows is to have like your little story that you have memorized, that you've worked out with a producer ahead of time, and like you get out there and you and the host are basically scripted.
Speaker 3: Telling a story or telling a thing.
Speaker 2: I just so I still like naively believe in the purity of like I can just show up and we can talk, and so like I walk into a trap every time because what they do for somebody like me is they have a pre show interview ahead of time. You get on the phone with whoever, the producers, and they ask you questions, and based on those answers, they feed.
Speaker 3: The host what they're to ask you whatever.
Speaker 2: Sure, and like you're supposed to if you're a smart, grown up actor, comedian person, you're supposed to do in that pre interview, like tell them what you want to talk about, tell them what you're not willing to do, what you're not willing.
Speaker 3: To talk about.
Speaker 2: And instead I would just be like whatever, man, I'm cool. I mean yeah, let's so like with Rosie O'Donnell, it was like a writer Rosie loves les miss and I'm like, yeah cool and she's and they're like, so she would love it if you'd be willing to sing a little bit. I'm like, oh no, no, no, I actually like stop singing like it's a big thing, like it gets you know, Like I just I really get nervous.
Speaker 3: And I never my voice never changed.
Speaker 2: I just like I'm not I'm not a singer person, like I know, I was in musicals, so yeah, like I just I'm really uncomfortable with that. So sure enough, when I get out there. They were like Rosie's like, we heard.
Speaker 3: You were in Le Mez. You're a big boy. Now let's hear it go And her piano player starts playing.
Speaker 1: Can you know how uncomfortable about that is? Like that is not the producer. That was somebody who said to Rosie who loves musicals and he doesn't want to sing, And Rosie was like, watch this him get in to sing, and like that is I can't imagine knowing somebody's like listen, this makes me, this makes me uncomfortable and then being like gonna put you in the corner.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it would have.
Speaker 6: Been would have been ballsy to just be like I told you I'm not going to sing as the piano's playing, just be like I'm not going out.
Speaker 3: Oh well, not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I would do that, But Matt Lawrence was with me. He had just joined our show, so he was with me on Rosie' donald and like in retrospect, like Matt can really sing. I should have been like Matt will sing, like yeah, oh but no, I got completely pressured and cornered. And it's like the whole audience is cheery, like clapping along, like let's do this.
Speaker 3: And it's like, what do you do? Like, are you going to be that?
Speaker 2: It was like, no, yes, I literally told you I am not singing, and here we are in live television. I'm not going to sing for you.
Speaker 4: Do you remember who else was on that Rose O'Donnell episode with you?
Speaker 3: Just Matt Lawrence is all I can remember.
Speaker 4: No, it was uh Bill Cosby. Bill Cosby was on that. What was it?
Speaker 3: Oh godre's your star studded line. I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 2: I mean I definitely did not meet him because I never I've never met Cosby.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then I did Oprah once. I told you guys about that. That was horrible.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was your fan mail one.
Speaker 2: Somebody should do like a I'm sure all these things are available. Somebody should do like an edit of awkward writer, strong appearances. You can probably find them all, and.
Speaker 4: I think you could.
Speaker 6: You don't have to say awkward. I think just type in writer.
Speaker 3: I think the awkward is it comes along with everything else.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fishel.
Speaker 3: I'm right strong, and I am not going to sing. I'm well for do.
Speaker 1: Welcome to season four, Episode seven, Singled Out. It originally aired November first, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis Eric lies to land a spot on MTV's dating show singled Out while Corey has his tonsils removed?
Speaker 4: Was this a Ben has Finals episode?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because he's a story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: I couldn't figure it out. I know.
Speaker 1: It was like, do they just always make him sick when he has finals? And so I thought maybe we weren't going to see a lot of him, but we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But also, his scratchy tonsil voice is phenomenal.
Speaker 6: He's sick, wasn't really sick because then after he had it done later he's five. Like he speaks at the end as a voiceover act our city.
Speaker 4: They're going, this is great. He was a great scratchy voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, it made me so uncomfortable for it. But I just the idea of like somebody having a sore voice. I was like, oh, uncomfortable, Like I made it hard to enjoy. I was like, yeah, that's that's not a knock on bed. That's just like the idea of like somebody's sore voice just makes me I was like, no, I don't want to listen to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, wow, that's a really I don't know how he's doing that. I don't know how he's putting that on, but it's really good.
Speaker 3: He's got it just comes down here with the kind of scraggling throat.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, I'm going to really make rider feel good to do the whole do the whole episode, like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: No, this is the weirdest episode. Did you guys?
Speaker 2: Did you guys remember I didn't remember this episode at all. I had no Like I know, I said, I don't remember episodes.
Speaker 3: But like you well, yeah, I remembered the Singled Out part. I remember, No, that was on another set, right that It was actually on the set of Okay, I think we went.
Speaker 2: That's probably why I don't remember it, because like half the week was taped somewhere else completely Like what a weird week.
Speaker 3: Just such a bizarre episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was very weird.
Speaker 1: And No, I did not remember the anything no part of that b storyline. I strangely did kind of remember the a storyline, like I remember that.
Speaker 4: Set for some reason, even though I was never honest. Did you go, no, watch I must.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I must have watched Singled Out and I'm just remembering, but yeah, because I also know I don't know it was weird. I did have like weird feelings like I kind of remembered it. But you're probably right that what I remembered was singled Out.
Speaker 3: Sled Out. Nah, yeah, boy meets.
Speaker 4: World on single Out, So.
Speaker 2: So like I thought singleed Out was, Wasn't there another host? Wasn't Jenny McCarthy McCarthy, Okay, That's what I remember so Hardwick Start, who was the first one, was always just one. I thought there was a guy and a girl, like for some reason in my mind there.
Speaker 3: Were two people.
Speaker 4: It was them together the entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, its just didn't get hurt and it makes no sense even though for the most part, uh, Jenny McCarthy. When you say Jenny McCarthy, people immediately would go the host of Singled Out, like, especially at that time. She was extremely identifiable for that show. So yeah, I'm not really sure why we didn't get her. She yasmine bleethed us.
Speaker 4: She's did.
Speaker 3: She bathed it, never go back, so that's she bleethed it.
Speaker 1: This episode was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Stephen Hibbert. This is his first episode.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 4: Know what he is most known for, yes, go for it.
Speaker 3: Was the Gimp in pulp Fiction. I just texted him he's coming on our show. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Days, we'll get into the show that we did together with him right after.
Speaker 3: Remember the show. What a legendary thing to be like. Yep, so cool.
Speaker 4: He's also in Austin Powers.
Speaker 5: Is he really?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's also in the second. Quite a career he does.
Speaker 3: The second he wrote one of our best national treasure. He wrote chick Like Me, which right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one of our best episodes. We'll see when we get there.
Speaker 6: Well, he obviously tends towards the and I'm saying this in the good way, the absurd, yeah, because it's like some of the stuff he wrote is just it's bananas. What's going on in this episode, especially the oh yeah, we'll get it.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: And then we got another deep guest star list. Yeah, Chris Hardwick. As Chris Hardwick. He was the host of Singled Out and the syndicated dating show Shipmates, and much later he'd become the face of the G four network and one of the first successful podcasters. He was like one of the first people to podcasting.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep.
Speaker 2: I just think of him as like the ultimate like host from like two thousand and six to twenty sixteen ish or somewhere around there, but mostly in the nerd culture, right, which is which is how I know him, Which is so funny because then singled out he's like the hip cool guy, the cool guy, which I was like, what.
Speaker 3: This is hardwicck this is where he started? Yep, yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: And then John O'Hurley returns to the show, but now as Grant Steele, not the news reporter we saw him as just last season.
Speaker 2: But it's a dream secret so it kind of makes sense that it would be great the news reporter from their local station in Jen.
Speaker 1: Why isn't he just the news reporter reporting on Corey Vanishing instead of a different guy hosting a difference?
Speaker 4: You remember the name of the reporter? Was it Cal something? Cal? Yes, Cal. I was gonna say Cal Worthington, But it's not Worthington.
Speaker 3: You want to get a deal, go to Cal.
Speaker 4: No, that's not.
Speaker 3: Isn't there a Simpsons character that basically is this, like it's always doing the news? Do you know what I'm trying?
Speaker 6: Ken, I am Kent Brockman, Yeah, that's who you're you're thinking about, Kent Brockman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, So then we have Bridget Flannery as Lisa. She played Lilah on the show Sweet Valley High from nineteen ninety four to nineteen ninety six and Jill on Sabrina the Teenage Witch from nineteen ninety six to nineteen ninety eight. I just would like for the record to show that the name could also be Leela on the show Sweet Valley High.
Speaker 4: And I have no way of knowing.
Speaker 3: So I read Sweet Valley High.
Speaker 4: I did not read it.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't I wouldn't know if it was Lila Orlila Isla.
Speaker 3: One of our most famous episodes of literary Disco. We read the first Sweet Valley High, disturbing, guys.
Speaker 4: Is it Lila or Leila?
Speaker 3: I don't know because I only read it, you know.
Speaker 4: Right right, but that you asked me if I have read.
Speaker 3: It, is it more more disturbing than.
Speaker 2: The multiple multiple rapes, multiple rapes in the first So that it is because there's only one rape and the first one that I get that it's so I read like we could not believe that this is the book that's so many teenage girls love and remember it's like it opens with her looking in the mirror and talking about how fat she is. Like it's so it's it's it's so damaging and like you're just like, oh, it's like Flowers in the Attic, which is also super disturbing to realize so many kids were reading It's like their first book as teenagers.
Speaker 3: So worse than Piers Anthony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, because what's crazy is is more insidious, you know, like it's almost as bad. It's like the female version appears Anthony where it's like you're just.
Speaker 3: Like, girls should not be reading this.
Speaker 2: Like this is I'm sure they're better now, Like I'm sure there's a whole sweep, but like the original first Sweet Valley High, it's super disturbing.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, Well Bridget Bridget Flannery, who plays Lisa in a bit of an ironic twist, graduated from Yale with her.
Speaker 3: Master's amazing research.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you guys found that. That's so went to Yale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she went to yaweh and she now teaches acting here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Oh, so I wonder if she went to Yale four acting she must have. That's awesome.
Speaker 6: Probably well obviously didn't decide to stay with her boyfriend and get married at a very young age.
Speaker 4: She went to Yale. Look what she's doing. Oh, look what she's able to do.
Speaker 1: And then we have Karen Lynn Scott as Donna, the MTV casting Agent. She has a lot of nineties TV appearances under the belt Seinfeld, Martin, Drew Carey, also Sabrina and then Leah Fisher as contestant number one and Jennifer Lee Edwards's contestant number two. We have Gail Boggs as nurse, best known as Louise Brown, the sister of Whoopi Goldberg and Ghost, but also musically she sang on Hollan Oates and Carly Simon songs cool. She also alleges that she was the person who convinced Madonna and Nile Rogers to release Like a Virgin as a single.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, who is this? This is a nurse? A nurse?
Speaker 1: Yes, so she's the one I think who just says like I'm giving him a mild sedative.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Online.
Speaker 1: Gael Bogs She's best known as Louise Brown, and then John Ernst as John Ernst the in House singled out DJ. He'd later go on to be music supervisor on other MTV hits like The Hills, Laguna Beach, and Cribs and he can Payne.
Speaker 6: Nope, no, but we kept cutting to him because he's like, he just gets one of the co hosts, and.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he did at some point have a line that ended up getting So he composed all the music for Ductne to see behind the music Love is Blind.
Speaker 4: And Netflix's cheer Wow yep.
Speaker 1: Jay Wodell as TV producer Again, this is another person who was credited but didn't appear. I don't remember there being a TV producer that right, besides the casting agent in the office. And then there was the announcer who yeah, maybe yeah, maybe a cut scene or at least a cut line, somebody coming out maybe to say something to Chris or to you who knows. And then finally Chuck Riley, a common voice used on Boy Meets World, returns as the announcer. So overall thoughts, we've decided. We've said it was weird and bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like a I mean, it's not like super I mean, I guess it is pretty weird, but like.
Speaker 3: It just felt slight to me.
Speaker 2: It was like, okay, cool, there's an episode of a show like I don't know where it fits in the story.
Speaker 3: It doesn't connect with it's just mine. It was, yeah, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess like the by the end, the Eric storyline just didn't really go much.
Speaker 3: It was just kind of like, oh no, she lied to great, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I didn't find I thought that there were times the b storyline made me laugh out loud. I did not think any of the singled out stuff was funny, No, I mean at all. It was the whole show that dragged for me, all the singled out stuff. And I distinctly remember talking to Chris about it at the time where certain things like it's like looking in a mirror in our hair, We looked at each other and went, we don't look that much alike to make this a joke, right, And so it came off as both of us, at least how I saw it as an actor. For me, it came off where I wasn't committing to the stuff as much as I should have because I didn't believe in it, which I was very rare for me.
Speaker 2: I also think you don't have a laugh track in those scenes. No, So it's weird because it's jarring to suddenly leave a show. So like when he makes that joke about it's like looking at a mirror whatever, there's no laugh And it's not because the joke bombed. It's because there's no studio audience. You guys were filming at the But ironically there's a lot of energy because that's the singled out, So there's like people cheering and there's music. But you're right, it's like grinds to a halt like sitcom.
Speaker 3: It's like becomes them yelling, trying to yell the jokes over the audience going.
Speaker 6: And it was so I didn't find any that funny. I thought that I didn't think it was a bad episode by any just like you. It was like, this is obviously there's certain things in this episode that are iconic, which we'll get to, right. I know, I know there's moments, huge moments that literally altered everything in the show in this and.
Speaker 4: Yet they're completely glossed over. It's like the yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you get to the singled out stuff, and I was like, eh.
Speaker 2: Well, do you think it was part of the like era of like I mean part of like all the singled out stuff. Right, it's like hot girls, horny guy. And I just feel like that doesn't like that's just not that interesting to me.
Speaker 3: It never was.
Speaker 2: But it also feels very dated. It feels like, of course it is. I mean, it's like heavy handed and like it says.
Speaker 6: As ni as you can get all right, we're getting rid of the naughty girl.
Speaker 1: I felt a little bit like how Will has mentioned before that because so much of the show took place on two sets.
Speaker 4: That we've never seen before.
Speaker 1: It was like so much of the show was on this singled out set that like start yeah, and there's no audience there, and so, like you mentioned, there's all this energy that's coming from people we don't know and don't have a real connection to. And then there's a hospital room. It's a place we've never been in before. And so it felt a little like what show am I watching? It's not a bad one, I just don't know that I need to revisit it. Like I watched it, I feel like I watched a pilot for something and was like great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it's it's a meta in some weird ways too, Like obviously you know the whole like what is the name of the show.
Speaker 3: Within the show, it's like, it's what's it's happen.
Speaker 4: It's like unsolved mystery disappear.
Speaker 2: Like and and also I think the iconic moment that we've all referenced in is like the mister Feenie moment. It's like, is all so sort of self aware in a way that the show hasn't been that often where it's like, mister Phoenie has to be here. So there's like a couple of metal moments that are actually pretty clever and interesting.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it doesn't feel like a typical episode by anything.
Speaker 6: It's kind of a filler episode, which is strange for it having so many iconic moments.
Speaker 1: Well, the iconic moment we're talking about is Will's first Phoenie call.
Speaker 3: The Phoenie call. It is where it's starts.
Speaker 5: This is it.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna call it because because you just yell at once, don't it.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is the moment where yelling Phoene in a funny way becomes a bit yep.
Speaker 4: It's so great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So jumping into our recap, we start in the Matthew's living room. Eric is moping he's home alone on a Saturday night, flipping through channels on the couch, feed up with dirty socks.
Speaker 3: Really say, this is an amazing, very rare camera move.
Speaker 2: The camera is like panning and then zooming like it was very stylized and kind of cool. It's like slow creep, you know, and then the whole thing is played in one shot. It was like this, Yeah, can anybody tell.
Speaker 6: Me before we get too deep into the episode what we were doing the week before? Were we coming off of vacation? Because everyone in this episode is tan? Everyone really, it might have been every single person in this episode, including the guest star. So either we had a new makeup artist who was doing the makeup differently, or we were all at Sandals resort together, I hope, because what.
Speaker 4: It was the vacation we ask together that I have no memory of.
Speaker 3: Yes, everyone was tan. It was very strange. Huh.
Speaker 4: I don't remember thinking I looked tan?
Speaker 1: You did, so, He angrily tells himself, I should be dating college.
Speaker 4: Girls, but I'm not. I want to date college girls, but how how I ask? He changes the station to the weather channel that announces Hurricane Chester has been downgraded to a refreshing breeze. I don't know why that made me laugh so much. I really did I notice?
Speaker 3: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was really I was expecting like tropical storm and instead it's just.
Speaker 3: Like refreshing breeze, refreshing breeze.
Speaker 1: And then the TV answers this question, MTV singled Out is coming to Philadelphia. If you want to be a contestant and meet hundreds of college girls on a very special edition of singled Out, then call the number on your screen. Despite his dreams coming true, Eric doesn't even bout an eye and flips the channel again. The MTV commercial finally registers, and he flips back, excitedly writing the number down so he can be on singled Out. And I loved watching you scribble on your piece of paper.
Speaker 6: Of course, you got to write the numbers down, got to go to the next room to dial up.
Speaker 2: It seems kind of crazy to me that we did a crossover with an MTV show, doesn't It seem like.
Speaker 6: It makes perfect sense though when you think about it, like you're trying to get that same audience, because that's when our show really took off. Was the second or third run when it was on MTV two or three, right, right, but it's just.
Speaker 2: For ABC, and like, think about it, last season we were doing like Disney World, right, so like now we're sort of like aging up into this. Like and of course, at the time, like Cable, MTV was so just a different world, you know, like they're like their ratings would have been nothing compared to a mainstream primetime show, So it was in a weird way, we're kind of like slumming it with this, like do you know what I mean? Like MTV was like this, like Cable Racus, little little station.
Speaker 6: Also think they were changing at this point. There's almost no music left and this was the height of like the Real World and road Rule. Yeah, at this point I think so pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Ninety seven really it was yeah, okay, I think it was yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Really revolutionized stuff when thou yes, well, and.
Speaker 4: That's exactly it.
Speaker 1: Even if their audience was low, their engagement, like their reach was really.
Speaker 3: High cultural soffect totally. Yeah, I mean the real world that was kind of the start of the reality stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, and also the risque factor of even the beer Stein naughty girls and drinking for Eric to be Yeah, that's like, that's you know, And I guess the save for it was, well, Eric's gonna rule those things.
Speaker 6: Out and talk about his mommy and stuff like that, so hot cocoa and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. The family enters with Tapanga and Sean. Amy is reassuring Corey that a ton selectomy is a simple operation to Panga Grease, telling Corey you get to stay overnight in the hospital, eat jello, and then you come home the next day. Corey, revealing a very hoarse voice, says I don't need an operation. Amy asks, okay, be sure we do it every time he talks.
Speaker 6: By the way, this entire episode, you are dressed like either a go go dancer or in the mod squad.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what's happening with my The seven is straight.
Speaker 6: Up like I expected you to get a call on your giant phone because Charlie's Angels needed you somewhere, and it was so like, what the hell are they dressing her?
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I thought, I don't know. We are we are experimenting. We are experimenting. Fair enough, He says, I don't need an operation. Amy asks, then why are you talking like that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Corey quickly invents the idea that he irritated his tonsils when brushing his teeth. It's that darn angled toothbrush. Tepega encourages Sean to tell his friend that he needs to go to the hospital. Sean says, he's sorry, but he has some serious problems with doctors, and then he explains it last night he was slipping through channels. Who's watching CNN? Sean admits they lured him in with a story about cake, but then they did an expose on a fifteen year old boy who went to the hospital for a routine procedure and vanished.
Speaker 6: This is such a strange story like that, I know, but it seemes they did this on Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: This was so it's a Kramer George has to go in for a ton selectomy, and it's Kramer the whole time saying you.
Speaker 3: Don't want you don't want to do that. That's think you're gonna end up.
Speaker 6: My friend Bob Sacamano went in for ton selected me and they took out his heart, took out his testicles, and now he says, Hi, my name's Bob, Like it was always something you shouldn't be here at this hospital.
Speaker 4: They're going to kill you in here, Like this was exactly.
Speaker 6: From Seinfeld, and you think it was after s ahlways way after, because this was season one of Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: They did this whole episode.
Speaker 6: It's an episode called the heart Attack where George thinks he's having a heart attack and goes to the hospital and then turns out he needs his tonsils out and it's Kramer there.
Speaker 3: They're going to kill you in here.
Speaker 2: They're going to kill you in That's one of those things that you could see like a writer is doing without even realizing that they're doing it.
Speaker 3: If it was a couple of years earlier, that's this was This is a storyline straight from.
Speaker 2: So I think this might be the first Cake reference. This becomes a thing this sean.
Speaker 4: Haven't we done?
Speaker 5: Think?
Speaker 3: I know we've had We've already had it on we had Weak. I feel like you've done this one.
Speaker 2: Because I remember there's like one of the one of the more famous moments I remember our Note Sessions is the episode that's I don't know if it's this season or next season, when Corey and I are like, uh, I have a girlfriend who won't let me see.
Speaker 4: Cory or like fair.
Speaker 3: To forget that's and talk about and I.
Speaker 2: Go like this, this isn't Corey, this is Cake. And then Ben the note during the note session, Michael was like when he says that cake, and Ben was like, what does that mean? He's like, I don't know, just be cake. And so Ben made cake face and then we put it in the script so then the writers would put it in the script whenever he was just put cake face.
Speaker 3: For Ben to do it was like one of those legendary boys.
Speaker 4: And I remember that because I thought we talked.
Speaker 2: About I don't think I think this is the first time, because I repeated in the scene, I'm like Cake, and I was like, what this was? I remember this was our running thing, like cake, because like a thing that we talked about.
Speaker 4: We have a different memory.
Speaker 1: The one we talked about was where there's something a little sad where somebody's like, but it's not this cake.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember that, Yes, really we've already done that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's the one we'd already done where there's like a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of a sad thing where it's like, well, that's not what it is. It's okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like I don't remember that, Corey. I think I feel like it's Corey saying that. Did you just feel when you did that in your jaw?
Speaker 3: Is that what you just? I just I think I just checked your pulse every once in a while. Make sure you're still here by double chin. So let our well please retic in, please only only one of you? How do we want to do that?
Speaker 2: Can you guys get together and just elect one person to be the representative to like email us so we don't get thousands, but just one.
Speaker 4: George, it's you, George.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe Easton? Can you be our? I mean you should know this.
Speaker 4: You're the Superman Easton email super fan Easton.
Speaker 2: We need somebody to be our, like like on, like do the research and know like what we've referenced.
Speaker 3: Boy, we're already losing it anyway, it's you.
Speaker 1: I've just decided it's Melissa. If you're out there, Melissa, you're the one.
Speaker 6: There's gonna be nine hundred. Melissa's going, oh my god, Daniel.
Speaker 3: He totally called me out. She said for me to do it.
Speaker 1: So Corey Kroaks vanished. I want a second opinion. He sprints up the stairs. Sean yells, you're missing the point here, Cake, Yes, Amy forces Sean to go home, he's scaring her son. Sean says it's his duty to and protect his friend to Panga pushes him out the door, saying she's protecting Corey from him. Sean tries to be intimidating, telling to Panga he can take her. She shoves him out the door and he stumbles backwards. This show really likes women aggressively dominating men physically.
Speaker 4: We all know the best women are men. So Eric runs into.
Speaker 3: The have that line a lot too, I could take you? Did we do?
Speaker 2: There was like the trailer Park episode that we have multiple lines like that. It's a funny little kid says I can take you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: What Danny asks Tony could I take you? And so there's yeah, there's a bunch of those interest Yeah, we like we like references on the show.
Speaker 1: But also a week with the last week with the with the yeah Lonnie beating you out.
Speaker 4: But there's like a lot of moments where someone really likes women who could physically. Think about the fight we have at the.
Speaker 6: End, you and I, You're throwing me around the apartment, and and it's all of us wrestling and.
Speaker 4: Being yeah that food, fights and hair.
Speaker 3: I think we're starting to figure out our writers room.
Speaker 1: Eric runs into the kitchen. Mail mail male Alan tries to burst his bubble. There must be thousands of guys trying to get on Singled Out. It'll probably take a month to make a decision. Eric gloats, and yet, looky, here do Eric Matthews from m T.
Speaker 4: I can't make out the last letter? What is that?
Speaker 1: Alan sheepishly answers V and then when he's sick of Eric rubbing it in, he snaps, how about I kill you?
Speaker 3: We'll do that. Oh my god, so funny.
Speaker 2: But I love this beat. You and Rusty like, you guys are just together. Partnership is yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: They're just putting Rusty and I together now, yes.
Speaker 2: Because you guys are great. Negative negative Dad is so I was dying. He's like, oh, actually, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, that's brilliant.
Speaker 4: Actually it is actually fun.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Eric rips opened the letter he was selected to appear as a contestant on Singled Out. He continues reading, and please don't bring your negative negative dad. Alan snatches the letter let's see what this really says. Oh, they really did.
Speaker 3: For a letter too.
Speaker 2: A lot for the letter Eric getting letters, though I feel like there's been like because there.
Speaker 3: Was the male stuff, there's a lot of the mail and Eric getting letters.
Speaker 4: Or sending finding out if he's getting been into college.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. It's a refurm like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we're in the Matthew's backyard. Eric looks spiffy in a button up shirt tucked into khaki's a belt. He's trying to find mister Feenie. He's not in his garden, so he yells, and this is our very the start of the Foenie call.
Speaker 2: I love everything about this. I mean, obviously like the anger and the expression of like mister, the self righteousness of like where is Phoenie? But then I also love the meta thing of like he's either teaching or he's go's all he does here else.
Speaker 3: The awareness of.
Speaker 2: Our show to like comment on its own sort of tropes is just so lovely, and so you're only going to do more of it, I know, as the show goes on, and it's so comforting. It's such a great thing.
Speaker 3: I totally forgot this though, and I'm sitting on the couch next to Soo, and I was a sudden I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, wait, is this this is it? This is the first Phoenie call. I'm like, it's it's happening right now.
Speaker 1: She's like, what what do you remember in the moment anybody's saying anything to you about it being really funny the way you said, Phoenie, what do you remember about the moment it happened?
Speaker 6: Remember the table read it getting a laugh, and then every run through it getting a laugh. And so my guess is we're going to start to see because they tried this with a bunch of things with Eric in the past, like they tried the uh, the weird cackle laughing. I remember I did that for two episodes in a row, and then Michael. I even looked at Michael one time during a table reading and he went like this. I was like, please cut it out.
Speaker 3: But the actual Phoenie call adjusted mister Feenie, and I just remember the way I said it, so that it's the indignation. It's the like, you can't be anywhere, mister Phoene, but I need you.
Speaker 2: So great, you know, And it's and it's so earned at this point, because it's like we're fourth season.
Speaker 3: Of course Phoene's gonna be and of course he is there.
Speaker 2: Like That's what I love is that he's like, I'm here now, and that is such a great delivery. It's like, Okay, calm down, I am now doing my job, and it's just perfect.
Speaker 4: It's so perfect, it's so good. Phoene rushes out, what can he do for him? Eric complains, you're not out here gardening, You're not at school, You're not gardening. What are you doing? Phoene assures him he's sorry, he's here now. Eric rides strengthened. I know he's like, I really, amy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I really don't. I was not doing my job. I am here.
Speaker 1: So Eric tells him, I've been selected to be on this MTV game show, singled Out, and I know they're going to ask me what college I go to. Phoene reminds him, you don't go to a college. Eric ignores this. The one I don't want to say is Harvard. Could you just give me the name of a school you went, if it still exists.
Speaker 4: Phoene shakes his head no. Eric nods and understanding, gone, huh, Feoene won't be a party to this deception. His advice to.
Speaker 3: Eric where went to college? Because we never talked about it. We never talked.
Speaker 6: So do you see him going to like apor exactly? Do you see him going to an ivy league school? I see him going to a small liberal college.
Speaker 2: I think he went to a small school because I I yeah, I see him because he has such a he has such a what's the word I'm looking for, Like he has such a democratic approach to teaching. I feel like he wouldn't have gone to an elite school. Like I feel like he went to a small school. And it's like he's a teacher who cares about every student and giving everybody a chance. So it's not elite, you know, like wherever he went it was like a state school or somewhere like maybe Penn State, like you know, somewhere like big and like still it's still a good school, but not like you know, like he struggled to get there and get you know, he he paid his own way and like it.
Speaker 6: And then I also think he did a year abroad at Cambridge or Oxford and came back with the accent.
Speaker 3: Dude, really there's a scholar, right.
Speaker 1: What if like his accent, it's all fake and he's a high school dropout and he's in a throttle with Eric and Lula Lila.
Speaker 4: We've got a prequel to make. Guys, we have to write. This is a writer's room. I should feel comfortable throwing out anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, no, it's okay. It keeps you.
Speaker 2: I think I think Boston area makes sense, which is, you know, there's a lot of college up there, but like Boston's wear his accent, so he's like from Boston originally, so.
Speaker 6: I love you, and then he went to somewhere like that. By the way, Danielle, you're not saying Leela or Lila incorrectly.
Speaker 3: They're both right. But it's sweet Valet High.
Speaker 4: Sweet sweet Valet High.
Speaker 1: I just realized that's actually not her name on this show, so it doesn't really matter what the name is. That she's Lisa on this one, which is easy for me to say Lisa Lisa. His advice to Eric is to think long and hard about what you're doing. Eric thinks it over for a moment, but we optical flip, optical Flip into a casting office. Eric sits across from the MTV casting agent she's giving real mob wife aesthetic and she asks what college she goes to. He immediately says Harvard. Goo smart guys. Casting agent asks, if you go to Harvard, then why are you here in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Eric's explanation, he goes to the Philadelphia campus. They have a Philadelphia campus.
Speaker 1: She asks, they have six Eric class back, stop trying to trap me.
Speaker 3: You're so good.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, like just this like bantery, sort of like stuff trying to try.
Speaker 3: I just love it. Like Eric is now so confident.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like he's gonna once he's decided to do this.
Speaker 3: He's just gonna go for it first. I love it, dude, It's so good.
Speaker 4: The woman admits it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I chose you because of your hair, and the hair obsession continues.
Speaker 6: I just realized she was on Seinfeld and the guy cal was on Seinfeld, and the b storyline is from science from Seinfeld.
Speaker 4: We are just trying to be Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: Let's take a moment.
Speaker 2: I want to take a moment to talk about this this scene, because there's a.
Speaker 3: Couple of things.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, this is an opportunity, this is our show representing a producer's a television show Office. So I was like looking around the set and thinking like this is how and it does doesn't it kind of look like our writer's room. Yeah, like a little mess And I was like, so I like freeze framed and went around. This is like you know, it were similar to when you know we had Tapanga's room. I was like, this is an opportunity to see how our writers represent what a writer's room looks like or what a producer's room looks like. So okay, So you have like music posters, like kind of hip, colorful music posters with like and they're like tilted, so it's like, uh, stylish, but not very tasteful. It's like very colorful and like messy. And then you have like a stack of tapes like all those VHS tapes as right, and then boxes.
Speaker 3: One of the boxes actually says fox on it, which is super interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you but boxes piled to the ceiling everywhere. It's like chaos and like binders then is like randomly a trophy on the desk, like a trophy for something she plays. It was like this like messy, frazzled and kind of overwhelmed space, right, And then I was like if did you guys look at her, Like her vibe is really kind of strange actually, because she's like wearing an extremely short skirt, huh, leg up, leg up, and knee high boots, Like I don't know what producers look like. This is like our writer's fantasy of what an MTV producer is like.
Speaker 4: Correct, that's what I said, mob wife. It's a little like she's sure my wife.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that completely go against the actual joke of the story, because wouldn't it be better if like he's lying to like a much more sort of like the joke that she's like, I only care about the hair would have been funnier she was like more like an uptight button nut producer who then reveals like I actually only care about your hair.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Like the second you see this woman, you're like, she's not gonna care that he went to Harvard, Like there's.
Speaker 2: No actual pressure there. I don't know, I was kind of but I just love this little window into like what our writers.
Speaker 3: Thought, like the MTV offices were like.
Speaker 6: But it's also that's the thing is it's MTV visiting Philadelphia, So why did you have an office that's been lived in for a year and a half, right, so none of it actually makes any sense, that's true, but it is. It's the the and when you think about it, you kind of.
Speaker 4: Don't need the scene at all. Right, you could have just right. It's fun it's very funny.
Speaker 6: But he didn't cut just right to singled out and you didn't need and Eric still lying.
Speaker 3: You know he's lying. The audience knows he's lying. You didn't need this scene at all.
Speaker 6: It's one of my just there for it's it's so unnecessary, but it was.
Speaker 3: It was funny, Yeah, it was. It's just that little singer of like, well is will gonna? Is Eric gonna get away with this? And then you're just so confident.
Speaker 6: And I love the end where yeah, at the end of the scene, it's like I chose you for your hair. I understand where we we we see each other, the same page, same page, let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a commentary on like the super officiality of television, which I know, Boymous World does a lot like we make fun of ourselves and TV and how superficial it is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it's also it was it's specifically an episode for college people. To meet other college people, and at the end of the day, the producer doesn't care that the guy they picked didn't go to come right, right, So that's that's the commentary is it's just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't care, we.
Speaker 4: Don't really care about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then we're in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Alan is tucking Corey into bed pre tom selectomy. Alan tries to sneak away, but Corey awakens.
Speaker 4: Fatty, are you leaving?
Speaker 1: Alan explains that visiting hours are over and if he stays any longer, they're going to charge him forty five hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Corey asks, everything's going to be okay? Huh.
Speaker 1: Alan promises this is a routine procedure. He's going to be fine. Corey asks, they won't slip and cut off my head. Alan says, it's the best hospital with the best doctors in the city. Do you think they just let anybody in here to.
Speaker 3: Funny enters?
Speaker 4: Me too?
Speaker 2: This is is this the beginning? I'm just trying to think have we seen this kind of thing yet? Besides Sean being in the girl's bathroom. I feel like this is a trope that's going to run throughout the rest of the series, which is this Sean sector Sean like where he just like fits in anywhere and is like suddenly a genius or expert in whatever.
Speaker 4: Right, is this the first time he iss a vaunt in in role play? Which is perfect? Now that we know Chet the way we do.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is exactly Sean's an expert in this.
Speaker 4: Yes, Chet's son. He knows exactly what to do.
Speaker 1: You you have full confidence and you tell people who you are and they just get away.
Speaker 3: The mechanics office, but that's only because your uncle runs the mechanic shop, right, is kind of similar.
Speaker 4: Right, it was like I was there and yeah, you were into jumps that you knew. Suddenly you knew how to do these used tools and fixed bikes.
Speaker 6: And I don't know if that was the same joke though it doesn't, but it's not done for a joke that time. That's just like you're working at your uncle.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was the girl's bathroom, like where it's just like Sean just fits in and nobody's gonna question it, and I We're gonna keep doing this.
Speaker 3: You know where I can speak Dutch. I'm sudden, right, and I it's so it's it's funny.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's funny because from Corey's perspective, it's it's great because he's so stressed out. He's never comfortable, right Like, Corey always is too nervous, and so to have Sean his best friend, suddenly be like totally fine wherever he is is hysterical. But it actually goes completely against Sean's character in the set. I like what you're saying about Chad, but the reality is Sean is a mess, right Like, he's very insecure and he's like never comfortable in like his life or he doesn't have like a stable family or a stable business.
Speaker 3: But it is fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's from Ory's perspective, it's just hysterical that Sean like always is fine no matter what.
Speaker 1: I love that Corey is such a rule follower and Sean does not even acknowledge.
Speaker 6: Rules that doesn't even exist yet. It's just we If I want to be a doctor, I'm gonna be cake. Yeah, I mean that's what it is. Here's what hit me in this scene. Can you remember and it can't be that far ago, that long ago, but I can't remember where Corey was the a story entirely.
Speaker 2: No, I mean that's I think season four has been much more of an ensemble or.
Speaker 4: Was it the Disney World episode?
Speaker 1: Was that the last time where Corey's going to the end of season three and I think.
Speaker 3: And they've started season four and Corey's there, but it's certainly not Corey. Yeah, storylines, that's yeah. Or Alan has had his storyline I know with getting the Topanga has with getting the haircut.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a shallow boy like that driving so many Sean. We've had the Shawn family episodes.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's it's a it's and that's one of the reasons why some of these episodes are jarring for me. Is not just because and not in a bad way, they're just it's becoming a different show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just grow and they develop, and you have different casts.
Speaker 6: And you put people together and you try partnerships and you do this and this is working and that's not working. It's just it's interesting to see where now what seven episodes into season four and it that we haven't done a Kory episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah at all. Well, I can't wait to see this.
Speaker 2: This this this development of Sean like because we started this season with him being the like sad puppy dog being left by his parents. You know that sort of vibe again. So now to have this purely like confident, effortless, always comfortable, Sean is really it's fun I actually remember kind of not getting it, Like I remember kind of like not thinking it was that funny. But now I watch it, like.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's really funny.
Speaker 3: You walking in the scrubs that alone, Karen and like flipping and throwing on my shoulder. I'm like, what, it's all so good? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sean enters, dressed in full scrub security around here suck. Cory asks how he got in, and Shawn answers, we got to get you out of here.
Speaker 4: Sean yanks Corey's bed. Careful my intro.
Speaker 1: Sean apologizes he'll take a look at that later, but he needs to leave before Corey loses his whole body. Corey, concerned, says he's starting to talk crazy again. Sean scoffs, crazy, am I. He starts to read a newspaper dateline Orlando, Florida. A fifteen year old boy was admitted to a local hospital for a routine procedure today, mysteriously vanished from the operating table. Corey says, I'm quite prone to nervousness. So I would appreciate it if you didn't bring those idiotic supermarket tabloids in here.
Speaker 4: Okay, Sean, so funny.
Speaker 3: I'm prone.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say that forever I knows.
Speaker 3: I'm quite prone to nervousness. Can we not do this?
Speaker 4: Sean smirks and tosses the paper. It's in the New York Times. Baby Corey reads the New York Times Trailer Park edition. Sean explains, it's exactly the same, except you.
Speaker 3: Can eat it. It's a wit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is one of the most witty, gorgeous. Oh my god, our writers are so good. It is just a joke in a half man that's so gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I mean, the way it builds, it's so.
Speaker 4: Good, the whole thing, Oh.
Speaker 6: The whole banter back and forth. This scene is perfect op not comedy writing.
Speaker 1: So Steve Hibbert comes from He's an improv guy, so you know he comes from the ground lane, just building that joke, building the fact that he probably has one hundred of those in his pocket at all times.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: Then over the PA we hear a woman doctor hunter. You're wanted in delivery. Sean says, well, this hospital doesn't seem to think so Corey believes it's another it's another doctor hunter. Sean says, I'm going to delivery. I tell you, core no matter how many you do, it's a miracle.
Speaker 3: In Sean's head, he has delivered hundred.
Speaker 4: What I just what a beautiful little scene.
Speaker 1: I just love it so much, so great, believe, but I love it.
Speaker 4: None of this makes any sense to anything. It matters not at all.
Speaker 3: And it's great. Yeah, so good.
Speaker 4: Uh and then we are on the Singled Out set.
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: So, will I need to know about this day of recording?
Speaker 3: Where were you?
Speaker 4: Somebody that remembers it must have been?
Speaker 2: Where was MTV filming? Like somewhere in LA like a different embtage, a different studio.
Speaker 3: Any of this.
Speaker 6: I mean, I remember the idea that I was on Singled Out, but I don't remember where we went.
Speaker 4: Do you remember Jason Marsden being there? Yes? And I thought, because from a photo there's once.
Speaker 1: There's a photo Chris Hardwick posted years ago you and Jason Marriston together with.
Speaker 3: Him sense Jay just came as your friend, Like yeah, and I guess And because of that photo, I said to Susan, Oh, I think Jason.
Speaker 6: Might actually be in this episode. Maybe this is the last episode Jay ever did. And then in my head it was like, oh, did Jason get Eric on the sing I didn't remember any of that. I singled out easton super Fans has Singled Out filmed at Empire in Burbank.
Speaker 3: Empire Burbank Studios. Okay, yeah, I remember. I don't know what any of.
Speaker 6: This at all. So yeah, so Jay must have just come and visited for the day. So yeah, so you don't remember the Yes, I remember hanging out with Chris, who was very cool.
Speaker 3: Ye you know, I remember him talking.
Speaker 6: About the the two of us, talking about not really getting the jokes of us looking so similar.
Speaker 4: Was he improving any of this? His performance feels very improved.
Speaker 6: I think some of the lines were written because obviously it had to tee me up for stuff and some of the but I think some of it was probably improved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think it's also just pretty straightforward hosting, like that's just what he did, right.
Speaker 3: He didn't have lines when he was host.
Speaker 1: He was just well, that's what I'm saying is that, you know, was even you know, as a singled out host. I could see how so was he doing the same thing? Did he did he improve at all?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I thought it was so well. I'll ask somebody who.
Speaker 3: Seriously you might remember.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's funny that you say, you know that you didn't think you guys look that much alike, because the second he was on screen, because I didn't remember Chris Hardwick as, I was like.
Speaker 3: Wow, he really does. Oh you think, well, you guys are.
Speaker 2: Just the same type. It's a white guy with that haircut, do you know what I mean? I was like, good looking white guy with that haircut. I was like, oh wow, and wearing the sweater or too, like he's dressed like Eric. I was like, oh, And I wonder how much of this just came from you know, Michael or somebody flipping through the channels one night and being like that guy looks like will I wonder if we could do an episode of Boy Means World where we gave him together, because it is funny. I was like, Oh, they're totally of a type, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there are a crowd of college girls and boys cheering on the stage. Welcome to our special college edition of Singled Out, and once again, our professor of love Ology Chris Hardwick.
Speaker 4: There's so many background actors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many.
Speaker 1: Chris walks on stage and introduces the episode's big man on campus who will be winning a date with one of the fifty co eds selected for him.
Speaker 4: Let's meet him, mister Eric Matthews.
Speaker 6: You wonder if I'm sorry, because now I'm thinking about all the extras. You wonder if Singled Out was one of those shows and they do this with game shows all the time, where they'll shoot ten episodes in a day.
Speaker 3: They did, so maybe they just fit us in.
Speaker 6: So those might be have been actual contestants for Singled Out, and then we just filled one of the slots of Hey, we're going to shoot a fake episode in between the five real ones you're.
Speaker 3: Going to do.
Speaker 2: We would have to paid that, We would have to have had paid them as extras too, So it's really like it's a big episode for us. You know, this would have been very hectic and stressful, and like, I wonder how much of our crew would have gone over.
Speaker 3: That's my question is with the Singled Out cameras and all that kind of stuff. I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it's I would love to ask Jeff McCracken because he'd probably remember like how they managed it.
Speaker 1: Did you guys notice later when there's a shot of a camera in the frame, No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see the jib arm. Is that what happened? No?
Speaker 1: I think what it is is you see one of our four cameras the jib see.
Speaker 4: One of our So we brought recruit over correct?
Speaker 3: That so interesting?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know I wish, uh, I wish we had the answers to this, but we just don't.
Speaker 4: We'll ask Steve Hibbert when they bring.
Speaker 3: Him, and then McCracken would be a good person too. Yes, yeah, so too.
Speaker 1: So two men dressed like Cupid bring a very excited and masked Eric out to a chair facing away from his potential suitors so nobody can see.
Speaker 3: Him with the mask. Is this something they did on the show?
Speaker 4: I think so that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not supposed to see anything.
Speaker 4: They were blindfolded.
Speaker 1: I think on Singled Out they wore a blindfold out past the people until they go behind the wall.
Speaker 3: Sit them behind the wall so they can't actually with their back turns.
Speaker 2: So why aren't you wearing a blindfold? Why are you wearing like this fan or the opera mask?
Speaker 3: I don't get it. Well, I think it's it's I think it's a it's blacked out, like my eyes were blacked out. So they put on a mask.
Speaker 1: It's still supposed to be that he can't see but I don't know why they didn't use.
Speaker 3: That they can't see you. It's that you can't see that, right.
Speaker 1: Right, But it also in this case works that the contestants can't really see him. So this feels like a weird sticking point for the episode.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was like suddenly it was like eyes wide shut, kind of masks, like sex is this college thing?
Speaker 3: Like what is happening? Somebody gonna beat up Eric? Come and beat out Eric. Let's bring out the game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Chris has Eric take his mask off and he says, I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but you're a very attractive man. Eric tells him it's like looking in a mirror. Chris response, I don't think.
Speaker 6: So he added that because both of us weren't didn't get the mirror thing.
Speaker 3: So he was like, yeah, no, it's not Yeah, and you know I didn't.
Speaker 2: You brought up the improvise. Improvise that's fine. I forget when the end of the next scene, or maybe the end of this scene, I felt like you two were improvising with each other. You're like, I didn't say that, I said the naughty didn't and he's like responding though it.
Speaker 4: Was to exactly just.
Speaker 1: And I do think there was a lot of fun sprinkled in you guys just riffing with each other on sprinkles. Yeah, love an improv sprinkle Who doesn't love that? It's an improv jimmy.
Speaker 6: And I was gonna say an improv jimmy or an improv shot, depending on where you are.
Speaker 1: Eric, would you like to tell the girls a little bit about the big Harvard man that you are?
Speaker 4: Chris hypes up the crowd.
Speaker 1: Harvard University ladies and gentlemen. Eric nervously begs, why don't we just play the game? Chris announces he's modest. Two girls, what a catch. He currently maintains a GPA of seven point zero. Yeah, why couldn't they have just kept it a four point zero? Is this a nod to the fact that Eric is the one who told them that and he just doesn't understand how.
Speaker 3: Yes, okayting, so okay.
Speaker 1: The girls all cheer for his GPA. As Eric is still nervous. Do we have to talk about this on the air, Chris tells him they don't, and they won't. He walks over to the board and explains the categories first date, brains, hygiene, experience, height, and h He asks Eric's Eric where he'd like to start first date. Chris reveals two options. Have you been naughty or have you been nice? Eric slily answers, I know my mom would want me to send away the naughty girls, but Chris interrupts.
Speaker 4: Him, all right, have you been naughty? Get out?
Speaker 1: Eric kills no as a bunch of cute naughty girls walk past him. Not a leather jacket in the bunch.
Speaker 3: No, not fast girls.
Speaker 4: No, not naughty girls. That's different. That's different. And then Eric yells, my mom's not here. You can be naughty. I want to be naughty with you. It's kind of creepy. It was kind of creepy, funny. I love it.
Speaker 3: It's funny it is.
Speaker 1: Eric keeps yelling as a herd of hotties walks by. One girl even goes up to him and kisses him on the cheek. Chris admits, you're a strong man, sacrificing all that just to make mom proud. He says, Eric's the type of guy.
Speaker 4: Every girl wants. Will Did you meet any girls here this day?
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I think what year was this, ninety I don't know.
Speaker 3: Ninety six.
Speaker 1: We still and originally aired November first, ninety six, so it's ninety six.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know if I'm dating Love yet, right, Yeah, you would have done Trojan War, so you were dating had I?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, then I get because you're.
Speaker 4: Talking, so you were blind you you were blinded by love and.
Speaker 3: Love and love yeah, yeah, but yes, I don't if we were dating then normally I can tell by the necklace I'm wearing, because of course you're young actors. So both Love and I wore the same necklace on our shows.
Speaker 4: We thought it was hit each other's blood in it or something. No, it wasn't even worse than that. It was seriously worse than It looks like a little little mini heads.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 6: It looks like a tiny little coke. It's it's a little heart, but it looks like a little koke spoon. Every time I look at it now, it's like I'm wearing a little you're wearing Envoy World.
Speaker 3: Yeah for a year or two something.
Speaker 4: Why did you wear spoon necklaces?
Speaker 3: I have no she said, you're wearing little spoon.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard of a white Why were you the little spoon? Much better?
Speaker 3: Just wear a full white rose around my neck and where we go? I think it'd be great answer your question. I don't know if I shows like this exist anymore, like singled Out? Remember Studs?
Speaker 2: There were always like these dating shows where if you're like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now it's like ninety dight Fiance Bachelor.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, wonder the Internet.
Speaker 2: Dating mind filled these kinds of shows, right, like the idea of like getting a bunch of hotties together and like asking them questions like zero people like you just do this.
Speaker 3: On the internet every like everybody just does this on apps?
Speaker 4: Well no, now, eliminate no, eliminate fifth Wheel. There were so many.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're making these up. No, no, But do you guys remember Studs?
Speaker 4: Kind of? I remember the name.
Speaker 3: I remember watching that, Like, I feel like I learned a lot about dating when I was like eleven by watching Studs.
Speaker 1: Where you got the white rose, that's where you were the original Bachelor you were.
Speaker 3: I gotta look that up. Now.
Speaker 6: It's like, here, you're gonna you're gonna marry a girl you haven't met yet and you've known each other.
Speaker 3: Ye ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Chris asks where they're going to go to next, and Eric answers, I want to go with the naughty girls, but he ends up picking brains his next category. The options are Einstein or beer Stein. Eric tells him he's not gonna get fooled this time, so he knows if he says beer Stein first, whoops.
Speaker 4: Wris yells beer Stein, get out.
Speaker 1: Eric screams no again, and a plethora of alcoholic girls exit as he begs them to stay. He saves a girl with a golden ticket and that gets her to the next round.
Speaker 4: And explained just just you have a thing all of a sudden, and where did it come from? And we didn't get it and then you think, did you just slip one of the extras something.
Speaker 1: It was like siler Fan Easton will know this, of course, because that's that was a famous thing from singled Out. So it was just like, we're not going to explain it on Boy Meets World. We're just going to assume, you know, singled out and then you.
Speaker 2: Guys noticed that, like all the girls leave for the naughty list, and then it cuts to them cheering and they're all back.
Speaker 6: Did you guys notice that we I noticed that they obviously doubled up on the I think they them.
Speaker 3: Cheering right before this.
Speaker 2: Next question was like, but those girls who just like you could recognize their outfits, Like right, they're right there, they didn't leave.
Speaker 4: Well, no, but that's what you didn't.
Speaker 6: This was the Twin day, so this was the naughty and nice. So the naughty twin left and the nice twin was there.
Speaker 1: Well, what I really think happened is that they did those pickups at the end of the day, all right, the crowd of people, and then in editing when they were like, now we'll cut back to this, they used a shot they didn't when they were doing it, say take fifty percent of you away.
Speaker 3: Yep. So, like my twin explanation better.
Speaker 1: I know yours is really good. It's a soap opera there, it's twins.
Speaker 3: Okay. When I was amnesia, forget it.
Speaker 1: Eric's still pleading when Chris grabs his head forget about them. We've narrowed it down to our last five brainy, chaste girls. Eric asks, it's bad, isn't it. Chris assures them they're exactly the girls he wanted. Sweet, sensitive, intelligent and fully clothed. We'll see how bad it is for Eric when we come back. The camera zooms in on the remaining ladies that are left as they go to break and this is a long.
Speaker 7: Really same thing. We just had time to kill like we didn't. This is what they did on MTV shows. They played the played the outro for.
Speaker 1: A long time and you got to see people dancing and it's just like, no, you will doing that dance where he looks like he's stirring a very large soup.
Speaker 3: It's I was kicking it right there, kicking but it was.
Speaker 4: It felt so weird for Boy Meets World was.
Speaker 2: Coming back and the same song as playing. I was like, oh, more, more, more of this, what is happening?
Speaker 4: They had an extra two and a half minutes in the show and they were.
Speaker 3: My dancing is so good that they were there like we need more of this.
Speaker 4: So we're back at singled Out. Eric looks down in the dumps.
Speaker 1: It's the final round of Singled Out and they're down to the last three girls we apparently lost to during the commercial break, but we don't see that. We don't need The girl with the golden ticket was eliminated. I took it back, and Eric pounced, there used to be fifty. Chris responds, let it go, math boy.
Speaker 4: I think it's so funny. I call back to you being smart. I thought that was really funny.
Speaker 1: He tells every one that before the show, they gave Eric a pop quiz, and now these girls will try to match his answers. Each correct answer gets them a step closer to Eric, and the winner gets a chance to go out with their Harvard hunk Eric. Eric excitedly yells Harvard hunk. You hear that, mister Phoene, Why now are you cool with it?
Speaker 3: And he wanted to downplay it first, but now he's yeah, it didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: You're like, ooh, guys, and then you're like, Harvard Vinie, you hear? What's so funny? Okay?
Speaker 1: Chris starts the game. First question, bad kissers dumb them or train them? Eric answers train them. Two girls step forward. Next question, a guy who listens is sensitive or picturing you naked? Eric's answer sensitive, Now this could be the final question, best way to wake up steamy hot cocoa for two or steamy hot shower for two.
Speaker 4: Chris is sure he's gonna answer, do you too you have shower?
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 4: Eric likes Coco, So Coco before.
Speaker 6: The even said, so you went, you got two things? You've got Coco, Sue went, I.
Speaker 3: Don't need to hear the second one. You'd pick Coco. It's like, yeah, that's true. She's like, yeah, I don't even need to hear what second?
Speaker 4: Definitely Coco Coco, and we have a winner.
Speaker 1: Chris puts Eric and his new love interest back to back, and that's when we see one of our cameramen.
Speaker 4: So we see the jib is.
Speaker 1: Moving around, okay, and then one of our you know four cameras, uh, probably coming in to do Will's coverage, and the jibs like zooms in. So she is all things Eric wanted in a girl. Her name is Lisa Thurman. Eric and Lisa turn around and they look really happy with the results. The game show announcer chimes in, you and Lisa will enjoy a night on the town escorted in your own personal limo. We also hear Lisa asking Eric about being a junior at Harvard, and we learn that she is a sophomore at Columbia, and again, very weird for boy Meets World. The announcer is talking and they are also talking Undernath You've.
Speaker 6: Got to kind of gett because what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but it did work, but awkward and weird for Boys World, but good direction.
Speaker 4: It did. It did like it was just it.
Speaker 2: Feels like you guys are naturally talking to one of these the show is still going on.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, they're actually connecting. And the whole Chubby thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, the Chubby's thing is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: The voice continues, You'll be ending your night at the best kept little Secret Chubby's. Lisa loves that place. Eric lies and says he's never been. And I would just like to point out that if Lisa loves Chubby's, I mean she has definitely seen Eric.
Speaker 4: There is no other place to eat.
Speaker 1: She probably knows mister Turner, and she may have even seen Eric's trick pool shot.
Speaker 4: So exactly, she's DTC. She's down a job job. I was gonna say down to Chubbs, and then I was like I'm gonna just take.
Speaker 1: Mid mid sentences, but we can all put that in our head.
Speaker 3: Anyway we'd like to.
Speaker 1: Chris tells Eric nice hair. Eric compliments him right back, because they both have middle parted, blondish hair. The show ends in a very nineties way, with other couples dancing on stage and Lisa and Eric making small talk until it cuts, and then we're back at the hospital. Cory is still laying in the hospital bed pre operation, his parents in Tapanga at his side. The nurse explains that she gave him a mild sedative for nerves. It's obviously making Corey quite groggy. As he announces, I'll have the soup. What are you going to have? King Louis, Tapanga tells him she'll be waiting for him. He asks spongebath right in front of his mama.
Speaker 6: Well, you also had just gotten back from solving that bank robbery from nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the rest of your crew. Is the way you're dressed.
Speaker 6: I'm just looking the whole time, just like the leathern jacket is going on.
Speaker 4: Hey, Angel's like, what the hell, who's dressing?
Speaker 1: I know it is very seventies inspired, it's very funny. Uh so, Phoene bursts in through the door. He received an urgent phone call imploring him to come down. Corey motions Phoene to come closer to him.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't have much time. I need to make peace with you. Phoene looks at Alan, who explains it's the sedative. Phoene tells Corey all is forgiven, but Corey says it's not that simple. Phoene admits, you're making me very uncomfortable. Corey grabs him by the collar and whisper. Yells, just listen to me, man. There's a key under the desk that will open an airport locker that's hiding his homework from the past five years. Corey reveals that he's understood everything. He's actually a brilliant student. Phoene asks what the capital of Montana is, and Corey knows the jig is up.
Speaker 4: You're not going to the airport? Are you a valise? I was losing it because it's so funny, random.
Speaker 3: What's the capital of Montana? You're not You're not going so good? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just then, a nurse walks into the room, ready to take Corey into his operation.
Speaker 4: He tells everyone no, I vanished.
Speaker 1: Alan looks at the newspaper and reads fifteen year old boy vanishes during surgery. He scoffs, this is idiotic. Not even Corey could believe this could happen to him. Corey drifts asleep and we get a dream sequence. It's a parody of Unsolved Mysteries. This is television's hardest hitting exploration of unexplained phenomena. We're not making this up.
Speaker 2: Now perfect the title card we're not making this up, though, is truly horrific.
Speaker 4: Faught is that?
Speaker 2: But it's the font and like it's also not centered or like, and there's no TV show that would ever have that cheesy of like it's so funny, and I don't recome a like self conscious, Like I don't think that was a choice.
Speaker 3: I think they.
Speaker 2: Literally were like, oh, it's just plugging a throwing out the title we could get with our you know, software from nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 6: But he also say that Ben's Dream doesn't make goods produced poor poorly.
Speaker 3: Poorly produced. No, I think it's fine. I think it's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: But like it's because like Unsolved Mysteries had like a great look and like all those shows back then, but that would have been very expensive to do back then, like nowadays you could do. So I just love that our show was so cheap that you just like pick a weird font and put it on the.
Speaker 3: Screen for new sets.
Speaker 4: And this week we.
Speaker 3: Don't have time for We don't have time for fond but perfect casting. You couldn't make anyone better. You knowly didn't even audition. Get him back and related.
Speaker 2: Now now that I saw him again, I was like, oh, that could have happened actually after this right right right. We don't know when that party was where he said that to us.
Speaker 3: So funny though, yea perfect for this.
Speaker 1: The host of this TV show, Slash Fantasy is Grant Steel played by John O'Hurley uh, and he explains the story of Corey Matthews' disappearance. Grant now stands in Corey's hospital room. This bed is empty because a fifteen.
Speaker 4: Year old boy is not in it.
Speaker 1: We see Amy and Allen, the grief stricken parents. They explained that they were looking right at him and then he just vanished. The news anchor asks what they mean. He explains, he disappeared, and then yes.
Speaker 4: And by disappeared, you mean and Alan says Vanish, that's literally it's so good, and then Sean appears. Of course he vanished.
Speaker 1: I even knew where he went, and he went where they all go to the fourth dimension, sometimes known as the Bottle City of Candor. I know.
Speaker 4: I was like, is this a reference? I don't get? But no, apparently not.
Speaker 3: It's nothing.
Speaker 4: No one ever listens to me. They all think I'm crazy.
Speaker 1: He then grabs a cooler, telling Grant he has to go so a guy's head back on. He walks out the door and flips the cooler around as two orderlies then start chasing after him. Next, Grant interviews Phoene, who's looking through Corey's stashed homework in the plaid valise. It was all there at the airport, just like Corey said. Phoene is astonished and the papers are remarkable. When Grant Steal asks how he feels about Corey now with this new information, Phoene says about the same.
Speaker 4: I'vebout the same.
Speaker 3: I was in love that. He says, like just like the boy said.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, this is like one of the only times you've heard like boy like the boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Grant concludes the segment, looking down the camera. Corey matthews, if you're out there, you're sort of missed.
Speaker 4: That's so absurd.
Speaker 3: It's great storyline.
Speaker 1: I know, it was really fun. Eric and Lisa are on their date. Eric's admitting how embarrassed he was on the show. Lisa bought his whole confidence thing. The things you were saying were so cute and smart. Well, of course you're smart. You're going to Harvard. Eric adds, well, you got into Columbia. She responds, yeah, but I never thought i'd have so much in common with a Harvard boy.
Speaker 4: Eric asks quietly, will you forget about Harvard?
Speaker 1: He says, the only reason he went on that show, because it's just like turns out that.
Speaker 3: She's lying, because I was like, Columbia is pretty good.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: You're not sitting there going like Harvard is so much better. Like no, no, no, Columbia is everybody's safety school.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows that you.
Speaker 6: Go to Columbia's because you didn't get into your first For those who don't know strong.
Speaker 4: When to Columbia case you didn't know, there's.
Speaker 2: God, Columbia's hard, but it's you know, for people who can also handle a real city.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh, He says.
Speaker 1: The only reason he went on that show is because it's so hard to meet somebody like her. Don't you meet a lot of girls in Boston? He stutters, Yeah, Well, I'm in class all the time, and when I'm not in class, I'm on singled Out and stuff. He asks about the boys at Columbia and she says they're nice, but she looks upset. Eric asks what's wrong, and she admits, I'm not what you think I am.
Speaker 4: I lied.
Speaker 1: Eric perks up, you lied, You're really one of the naughty girls. He fakes in, Awe there, I'm over it. How naughty are you? She tells him I'm pretty naughty. Eric, I don't go to Columbia. I applied, but I didn't get in. I didn't get in anywhere. I went on singled Out because I really wanted to date a college guy because it would make me feel better about myself.
Speaker 4: Oh, Eric, but.
Speaker 2: This all just felt so convenient, and it's a bummer because it's not. It's just such a random like if they had developed her character ahead of time in any I don't know this.
Speaker 3: It's just it's so well yeah, but the way you do that is by you don't do an entire episode of singled out in the middle, right.
Speaker 2: You do something you do them go on multiple dates like they start, and then the lie comes out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, iving a whole single out thing. It just doesn't know. It felt that fell flat for me. It wasn't particularly funny. It was too long. Yeah, so exactly, yeah, exactly, so it was unfortunate.
Speaker 1: But uh, Eric is flabbergasted. Wow, where do I start. Lisa says she'll leave if he wants. He tells her, no, don't leave. He should really be the onely thing you I'm the pathetic towny who lied to get on a game show?
Speaker 4: Is towny a phrase people used?
Speaker 3: I used to say that, really. I used to say that back, and it's like you on the show, because that's what I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was maybe like a show thing, but I guess it is like an actual it is used.
Speaker 3: I never used it growing up. I never heard that we did. We did? We did?
Speaker 6: If it was like, maybe that's an East Coast thing, because it was you. People would graduate from high school and certain people go to college, and you'd always come back and it was there'd be the townies were there. It's like, oh, yeah, that guy never left and he's still wearing his high school jersey in the local bar, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Right, That's well.
Speaker 1: Eric tells her the truth. I don't go to Harvard. I did the same thing you did, but you confessed first. I was gonna let you think I really went to Harvard until you liked me anyway, and I felt better about myself, and then I'd have my parents call you and till.
Speaker 4: You I died. I died, I died.
Speaker 1: She takes this all in and smiles, Wow, we really are compatible. He agrees, you want to cut the classes we don't have and see a movie. Actually, she's heard there's a great party in Swarthmore and asks if he wants to go. She can't get them in, but she's hoping Eric can. He ponders the thought, one day I will.
Speaker 4: Huh, Okay, why can't they just go to the party.
Speaker 6: Do they check student IDs as you're going to random parties at college?
Speaker 3: Doesn't understand that.
Speaker 4: Is the point that you're going to go to college someday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's what it means. That's what it's supposed to be. Is like someday I'll be able to get us into a college college part which three of us right now wanted to go to a college party.
Speaker 3: You just walk into a college party. I think that's how that you know we're old.
Speaker 1: They would be like, they would be like, get out of your narks, what are you doing, NERVs.
Speaker 3: I told you I'd have my homework done next week, nerd.
Speaker 1: That's what we We don't care that you're the hosts of Pod Meets World.
Speaker 4: They might he losing.
Speaker 3: They might oh boy meets World.
Speaker 2: I feel like my grandparents talked about that History channel.
Speaker 1: You know what, my dad I had a crush on you.
Speaker 2: You not like I had, Like I swear they were like nineteen twenty year olds, like recognizing me and asking for my picture in Park City last week.
Speaker 3: I was like, how is this still a thing?
Speaker 4: It's young? Yeah, I hate to go back to the show, even though we were to talk about it. But I have a question about the show.
Speaker 1: In the chubby scene and will you're the only one I'm not even gonna ask writer, writer, it's about sports ball?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, did.
Speaker 1: You happen to notice the jersey that's on the wall over her right shoulder.
Speaker 4: Upstage, there's a jersey on the maroon and golden. Yes, it looks like a Trojan jersey. I saw that too. I think it might be Oh J Simpson's jersey.
Speaker 3: No, was it thirty two?
Speaker 1: We can't see the three. There's definitely a two. The second number two just.
Speaker 2: Would have been after the murder trial. That that makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Do we have Jay's jersey?
Speaker 4: I don't know, because he does not do well when people taking.
Speaker 6: It seriously, give just give it back.
Speaker 3: It can't.
Speaker 4: On the sleeve for sure.
Speaker 1: And the second number is definitely a two, but she stands up directly in front of the other number, and it is either a three or an eight.
Speaker 4: It definitely has.
Speaker 3: Oh god, anyway, I hope it's not O's jersey. It's not. This was after the trial. They would never would have had it on our show. Who knows he was?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's completely blocked by her head, So I don't know if it'll be there in other episodes.
Speaker 4: We'll have to I just want now.
Speaker 1: That we know that's where it is, let's just keep an eye on it in case it is still in other episodes.
Speaker 4: We can look to see what it is?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: Then we enter into the tag. We're in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Cory, now post operation, is in his hospital bed with Tapanga at his side. She asks if he's feeling better, and he says, with a glazed overlook, I'm completely recovered, darling. They might have taken out my tonsils, but they could never take out my love for you. Could you bring me some soup? She pulls out some Sherbert and he asks chicken and rice. Pang asks you're still a little woozy, aren't you. He admits, I'm seeing five of yeah. She asks if he feels strong enough for a walk around the hallways, and he excitedly says, are you kidding? I'd walk anywhere for soup. She doesn't help him get up at all, by the way, she doesn't.
Speaker 4: She just on your own, kid. She just walks out.
Speaker 1: He stumbles out of the room. Once they're gone, Sean walks in from the other direction with some comics for Corey. What you think they don't like X men?
Speaker 6: Huh, I don't know, I don't which, He toss out come.
Speaker 1: On, so Sean realizes it's happened. He vanished. Then Sean starts to spiral. He's next because he knows too much, his body starts to pixelate. Oh no, he's getting minkissed.
Speaker 3: Wow, I thought that too.
Speaker 6: And the.
Speaker 2: Effects for our show, and I don't remember doing like I guess they just pixelate me like I don't. I'm definitely not in front of a green screen.
Speaker 3: So no, they're not.
Speaker 4: Just that you're isolated, and that's why.
Speaker 1: Then when we enter, you don't see us as you saw like the technology wasn't wasn't great.
Speaker 4: So when we come back Star Trek.
Speaker 3: It does special effects.
Speaker 1: He says, I'm starting to de materialize. Sean looks at his body and disbelief. Then the pixelating comes to an abrupt stop. Corey tapanger at the door. Corey blurts out to Panga and her four sisters are taking me for soup you want in? Seawan obliges and walks out the room like nothing happened. Weird little episode.
Speaker 4: It is a weird episode, not a bad episode.
Speaker 2: Why we were recapping it, we kept finding things that were hysterical to us.
Speaker 4: That's very funny.
Speaker 6: Things in this episode that were laugh out loud funny. Yes, both storylines and the first Feenie call i mean, you can't dismiss this episode, but it's it's just a weird.
Speaker 3: You know what it is.
Speaker 2: It's silly, like it's a silly Boys World episode, and I think that there's a big strain of silliness, you know.
Speaker 3: That's pretty great. I like that.
Speaker 1: It also is something we've talked about before where sometimes what we're bumping against without even realizing it, is the fact that both.
Speaker 4: Storylines are a little absurd.
Speaker 1: Whereas sometime like if we just had this weird storyline, the b storyline with a maybe more like less out there single arounded a storyline, we would have been.
Speaker 4: Like the balance. Yeah, but because both of them are a.
Speaker 1: Little bonkers, Yeah, it feels like, Wow, this is a lot, but still very funny, very funny. So join us for our next episode, which will be season four, episode eight, Dangerous Secret. It originally aired November eighth, nineteen ninety six. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 4: Mister March pod meets Worldshow dot com. We love You All pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is.
Speaker 1: An iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Wright Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, Sir and Editor, Tara Subash, producer Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com