Speaker 1: Yo, what's up?
Speaker 2: You're off in God's Country? What your boys reading? Dan is Well, also known as the Brother or Something. We take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music in the great outdoors. Two things that go together, like Maui and the best vacation you will ever take. I promise you that or might be the most expensive to you, but it's awesome.
Speaker 3: The Nelson's winning Grammys on the same night, Father.
Speaker 2: Sign song win Grammy's on the same night. Pretty unelievable, brought to you by meat Eater. And we're not sure exactly what's gonna happen right here.
Speaker 1: I think my verse is bad. Come on, now, let's try it anyway.
Speaker 2: To Kola is a sponsoring a shown needs a colas a sponsor a shown now, baby, I promise you you won't be disappointed when they're on your feet.
Speaker 1: They pulled skin off and get rid of the meat. It's leather.
Speaker 2: To Kova as a sponsoring a shine baby.
Speaker 1: What was what?
Speaker 3: They pulled the meat out and the leather is the boot leather? Lucas Nelson unbelievable, dude, super cool. We did a good job. I think so, man.
Speaker 1: We did a good job.
Speaker 2: Did a great job, dude, I did just thought you did a great job. What do you mean, like, like we're interviewing him, I thought you did a great job. I mean normally you know that great. You're great today. I am the only thing that's great about the show. I'm a pro dude. I was saying that we did I was not taking a compliment. I was just saying we did a good job of I mean, dude, we could have talked about Willie for the whole time. But this guy, like he needs his own, his own show. And he proved, I mean he's proved it over his career that he is his own. He is his own guy, he is his own musician, he is his own artist, and and man, he's putting out a killer record. American Romance comes out this Friday. He talks about it, he plays a couple of songs from it, plays a couple of songs that weren't from it. But man, just a just an awesome dude, I feel like inspiring dude.
Speaker 3: He could have he could have absolutely been pigeonholed. And he even said this, he said, you know I could have. I feel like I could have just sung my dad songs and kind of done that thing and and made you know, And it probably would have worked just because he was introduced to music and songwriting and songs at such an.
Speaker 2: Early age, but not only just music and songs and songwriting, the mountaintop of music and songs and songwriting at a young age.
Speaker 3: So in turn, he could have just kind of fallen into that. But he paved his own way, and he listened to his own inside voice, and he was inspired by his own things, and he grinded for a long time.
Speaker 1: And dropped some great nuggets of just a.
Speaker 3: Really smart guy man, really smart guy, fun to listen to, fun to talk to, really funny too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's awesome. You're gonna love it. Thanks for hanging out, Thanks for tuning in. Be sure and go follow u some TikTok go follow us on Facebook. Hit the subscribe button. It uh, it helps with Grammy spec helps with the show. We got our nephew Jeek Graham here it was that the microwave. Oh yeah, see.
Speaker 1: How long goes?
Speaker 2: This is a long one. You can't hack you tell kids, I can. It's already still going. Uh, this is probably a perfect amount to this might be even a little longer.
Speaker 1: Almost ready you hear it.
Speaker 3: Beaving Roast is ready peaked early from Willie t Kelly. The definition of a podcast that started off hot with top country artists the song and I just ended up falling off a cliff so much so they already had to have peak guests because their flameous flicker and going and knowing us and taking their calls and hon seriousness. If you like sitting in the intersection of country music in the outdoors, this is a must listen. A perfect balance between hunting and fishing stories and learning a little inside ball on songwriting. Thank you boys for keeping it up and you're and being my first listen every Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Thanks Willie t Kelly, you are correct about what that we peaked early. I think we're still going. I don't think we're peeking.
Speaker 3: We're not peaking, dude, He's wrong, Bro, We're not to the peak yet due some of the things you said, we're ro climbing some of There is some men'side ball in this podcast for sure. Thanks for writing this station for five stars. You guys are the best. Keep listening, Keep following. Lucas Nelson. Lucas Nelson, listen by see you. Thanks bye, see if I.
Speaker 2: Thinks speed man, I'm really excited about this, dude, Sime, I'm really excited about this. We got an airplane flying a singing tex surfing well yeah, lived in Maui and set to release his debut album, American Romance this Friday. Got a little sneak peak. Original walked in with the covid on I mean it's our guy, and was early, way earlier, way early.
Speaker 4: I like to get there early, uh two to get coffee and then.
Speaker 2: To yeah, I like to get there ten minutes before to get coffee and yeah yeah, he said, I'm glad you're here. I really need you.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, nine fifteen. It's like my my body clock is like well yeah, like around from nine to ten. It's a really great window.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: We got Lucas Nelson, everybody. Uh yeah, I'm doing this. Uh, I'm on a. I'm on a. I'm on an egg kick, like a lot of egg kick. So last two mornings, I've eat five eggs every every morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's great. It's great protein. Yeah, the good protein.
Speaker 2: My buddy Eric Dylon he the other day he told me he's like, yes, some mornings I eat five, someone's only eight. He's like and I'm pretty much like good through the right and like through the work day, and then I'll just he'll just eat like a big dinner that night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody told me that's good for the first meal, to try and shoot for five fifty grams of protein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder how much one egg hasn't.
Speaker 4: It it's like seven.
Speaker 1: Bring my finish pack and I can tell you, I trust Lucas.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't remember how many, but it's uh yeah, it might be like I don't know seven or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know what it's it does for me. I've noticed I've been on a recent clean it up. What does for you? Eggs is like eggs are just protein in the morning if I can get I've noticed this, like if I have time to cook five eggs and like a couple of pieces of turkey sausage or something like that, it allows me to not go nuts the rest of the day. It's just like it's it's like an immediate that bringer down or plate.
Speaker 1: Like level out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you mean go nuts, like be hungry the rest of the day. Yeah, yeah, like at once, I'm just snacking. Man, I could murder some gas station chicken right now, or oh man, I'm like that there's a bowl on fun size Snickers, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Just calling my name or whatever. It just levels me. It's like, why does it get me?
Speaker 4: Are those little peanut butter cups that the Trader Joe's one brother the black the dark chok dark chocolate ones? Yeah, like the but not but they're not racis. They're Trader Joe's brand, and they a lot of them out here. Actually that must be uh the Trader Joe's nearby because a lot of the rights that I'll sit him around, they're just sitting in the in the basket. Yeah, I just I'll eat them. I'll eat I'll eat.
Speaker 1: Them my kryptonite.
Speaker 2: Specially, I didn't have eggs that Yeah, if somebody brought in right now, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty reces.
Speaker 2: Eggs like the eggs like the bimblins at the did I eat? I eat every one of them?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: What's a Reese's egg?
Speaker 2: You gotta tell you, like you know, like at Easter, they make egg shape, but they're peanut. Yeah, tell them what Jordan's before y'all got married. So that's she's my wife. I don't know if you knew that, but uh, we had just started dating and we were that like do you like the beach or the mountains better? You know, like you just find it out about each other and uh and we still and she knew like I told her. I was like, yeahe's eggs. And I told her a couple of st b my grandmother's, Like she had just a every grandmother, every grandparent has a junk drawer of candy drawer, uh huh. And I would as soon as I would get there, I would eat every Recie's egg in the drawer every time. So like she stocked up on them. So Jordan, you know, being the you've just met, she's being thoughtful and and uh. I had an Amazon package show up on my doorstep one day and I was like, it said read is well, and my Amazon alway says Benjamin read is one.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is this?
Speaker 2: And it was you know, yeah, big, probably eight inches by ten inches or something. And I opened it up. It's pretty thick. And I opened it up and it was like a forty pack of Rec's of Reese's eggs, dude, and it was like you could you could unfold the display and put it together, and it was like a like a store, like that's how many. I ate them all in like a week, like like four days, and got sick and like gained fifteen pounds. I told Jordan. She came over, she was like, where can I have a Ree's egg? I was like, they're all gone? What do you mean they're all gone? I was like, listen, this is something you cannot do because I will destroy them and kill myself.
Speaker 1: What's your go to what's your go to candy?
Speaker 4: Go to candy?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Well, probably those Trader Joe's dark chocolates. Uh. I was a Snickers guy before, but I like the real I like, I like dark chocolate now, and I like I like peanut butter, and I like real foods you know that give me like you know, I really like those oatmeal chocolate balls that you know.
Speaker 1: Like the protein balls so good.
Speaker 2: Those are great during deer season, just stick them out.
Speaker 4: They're great for travel and and and just to go camping or hunting or whatever.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this one just right quick, one cheat meal today. What would it be if I could have my you could go get whatever?
Speaker 1: Am I going to get it?
Speaker 2: Or am I cooking it not whichever, like a cheat meal. You can eat whatever you want to for one meal. For me right now, it'd be a.
Speaker 1: Eight piece from KFC.
Speaker 2: Say for you, I mean at a bucket of fried chicken. I haven't had that in white meat. No, you're going dark? Hell yeah, okay, I'm talking about five grilled chicken or frying what from KFC. I'm just saying, I mean, do they grilled chicken?
Speaker 1: I don't even know if they do. Anyway, I'm originally grilled chicken.
Speaker 2: I'm original recipe, eight piece bucket with a diet coke.
Speaker 1: Now, look, I ain't had that in a year and a half.
Speaker 4: Well that's good.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've really been cleaning it up. Bro, I got to I'm forty one, dude, I got a month.
Speaker 4: Oh you look younger than that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man.
Speaker 4: I appreciate my cheap, my cheap. I'll see. The thing about it is that it's either you you in my in my opinion, it's either you focus on diet completely and then you don't have you know, you don't eat anything you like for ten years years, or you focus on exercise and diet to where that you can have you know, every once in a while.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm But I'm still not in project.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I mean there's certain things that I've probably just cut out now, but like fried chicken. But I don't like to eat a lot of fried stuff because of the trans fats and they're really bad, like a lot of the ways that they fry it. Yeah, put you know, like saturated fat isn't good for you, but I'll eat a lot of it. I love a steak with a bunch of like a remarblely steak and you know, one last night, have it for lunch, and I feel like that's all right. You know, that's that your body can better process that than it can with the trans fats. It's really bad. It really gets in your in your in your arteries and everything.
Speaker 2: So we pretty much don't fry food anymore, do you now. The only frying going onto my house is air frying. Yeah, that's it. Which I don't know if that's probably given us cancer because of.
Speaker 4: The no, well, everything's going to get cancer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was spraying on a sunscreen the other day and I was like, I wonder if like the sun has giving me more cancer than the spray on.
Speaker 4: Well, I just saw some article, which you know, of course, a thousand articles will tell you the opposite thing. Whatever you look up, you find.
Speaker 1: Exactly the whatever you want to hear, anything you want to.
Speaker 4: But I did just see something where they were like saying that that this that actually sun exposure is not linked, you know, in moderate amounts to cancer, and you're, yeah, you're probably more likely to get cancer from a chemical in something else than you are from the actual.
Speaker 3: Surprise buddy of mine, Rainy one Tanna, who's been on this podcast before, he.
Speaker 1: Actually, oh, you're good to I don't.
Speaker 4: Worry about that. Sorry, it's dead already.
Speaker 1: For quite some time. He said.
Speaker 3: You know what, man, once you cress forty, nobody can judge you about anything anymore.
Speaker 1: And I adhere to that, dude.
Speaker 3: Like, if I'm out in the sun instead of spraying down, I'm going long, long sleep and I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care what you think. Like I'm going sun blocker, long sleeve shirt, I don't care what you think.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're saying that after forty you just do well. I feel like you can do that. Before you hit fourty, you can't.
Speaker 3: Nobody can say nothing. Once you pass forty, you just get to do what you want to do.
Speaker 4: Nobody But like, I mean, how in the case of you, I can say you could be anywhere from thirty two to forty five take it, you know what I mean? And actually probably thirty two to forty two. So you say, and you guys too, So how can I tell if someone's forty before I judge them?
Speaker 2: I think that's a mindset that I think. I think the earlier you figure that out, the better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Don't wait to tell you if Graham figured that out. If fifteen, nobody can tell you you want to do, Gham, do what you want to do. Grand dude, unless it's your parents. Do you got to do what your parents do?
Speaker 6: What you to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless you're gonna get either arrested for it or have your stomach pumped.
Speaker 1: Don't do those things.
Speaker 4: Oh man?
Speaker 2: All right, we like to We like to start this show off with a segment we call what You're mad at Lucas And you can be mad or glad at something.
Speaker 3: There's still there's still calamine lotion on this guitar from where I had poisoned.
Speaker 1: Going from.
Speaker 2: What you mad. Just tell us what it is. What you're mad at?
Speaker 1: Is it you in lost kids? Might be a boss man, well, your neighbor's cat.
Speaker 2: Just tell us what you mad.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: That's that's good. And that something I'm not mad at that, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not mad at that. Man?
Speaker 2: What am I mad at?
Speaker 1: You can be glad too.
Speaker 2: If you're like if a positive guy, positive this morning, feeling good, you can be glad.
Speaker 4: This morning.
Speaker 1: We're sad at, you could be sad.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what I'm glad at first, and that might remind me of something i'm mad at, because I get mad a lot, but I can't remember it.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So today I went to this little coffee shop.
Speaker 1: Around here, yeah, on the corner right there, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I saw this gal. She had a shirt on. There's a band she was in. She was in or into a band.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 4: I said, are you in that band? She said no, I have no musical ability at all. And I said, well, hold on, So I said, play, let's play something really quick, and I'm buying coffee, but it was really quick because I love this. Let's play something real quick, and I can start going like this and she starts doing that exactly music. You lied, I said, you lied, and she laughed, and it was a good moment. I got my coffee and I came back here to get good man. What it was I can't remember. Yeah, that was like a.
Speaker 1: Metal band, metal band, our Maidens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, something like that. No, it would have been if I would have remembered it. It was a band that I'd never heard of. But but I was like, are you in that band?
Speaker 1: She said no, And she had musical ability, rhythm, you can tell.
Speaker 4: You she was right on the beat. And I said, you liar, I said.
Speaker 1: You can make She's gonna quit her josh out.
Speaker 4: You know, I felt like that was a good start to the day. That was a good glad at the moment today. And then you know, and then you know mad at you know, shoot, I could be mad at so many Oh you know what I'm mad at. I can't set my Xbox up. I bought an Xbox, all right, she got right here, No, like a new one. I went to Target or best Buy or whatever. I went to Target actually, and I bought this x Xbox.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you what are you trying to play? What games are you trying to play?
Speaker 4: I want to play Microsoft Flight Simulator on it, and I want to play like I want to lots of games on it. You know. I feel like it's God telling me that I should probably not do that and waste my hours and maybe write songs instead and do that kind of thing. But I've been trying for weeks now because what's so, I've got the A body been like a boost for my for my Internet, and there's like a router there, or like an extension for the router. I put it on there, and I put like an Ethernet cable in there, all the things. But when my TV turns on, it's like a Samsung kind of smart TV. And when my TV turns on, it goes straight to this screen where it says you got to put in a code from the Xbox app that I had to download. And there's like a Wi Fi that comes from the Xbox that my phone just refuses to connect to. And then the Xbox I can't get it to connect to anything because you can't because I can't get the code in. It's like a vicious cycle. It's a catch twenty two.
Speaker 2: That sounds gave me a headache.
Speaker 1: Little it was.
Speaker 4: It's been really bothering me.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would be mad at that.
Speaker 4: I'm just mad at it. I just like consistent, I can't do it, and I I got to call someone, but I just like I don't want to spend any more time for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can have you with that. Ray, can you fix that?
Speaker 2: You can raise it's got it right it Yeah, he's like he's always got it mega teg.
Speaker 4: Dude, Well this has been a productive already morning.
Speaker 1: Have a good thing podcast.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm not really mad at anything, man, I'll tell you what. I'm glad that I got my.
Speaker 2: I got a baby pitbull and she's the best.
Speaker 4: So do I really she's not baby anymore.
Speaker 1: But it's not either.
Speaker 2: Uh, but I you're just still a bit. I mean he's still kind of a she's what said, Yeah, I mean she's like she's eighty pounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's huge, seventy pounds.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately, my wife was very correct in telling me that she needed to go to try Is that an unfortunate because I didn't want her to be right. I wanted to be right, and the fact that I'm a grown man and I've trained dogs before, and I can train this dog. But the kicker was that the last dog I had remy r ip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good one, good one.
Speaker 1: I tried.
Speaker 3: I didn't have three kids and two jobs while I was training her, so I had time to grow her.
Speaker 2: You know, trainer.
Speaker 3: My wife was like, you don't have time, you don't have time. We got to get this dog under control. She's It would kind of be like if Warren's Sap walked through the door and just like hugged you. You'd be like, he's like a big he's big guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't know.
Speaker 3: He probably at this point, being fifty seven years old, knows how big he is. My dog being six months, did not recognize how big she was. So dude, she's not kids. I mean I got kids. She comes through the hall and kids just go fly. That was my dog to it was like bowling a.
Speaker 4: China shop man and like pit bull and they'll scare the scared little kids sometimes to the pit bulls and they look scary and you know, but they're they're the sweetest dogs.
Speaker 3: And my other dog was already like six when my kids they couldn't man, they could pull, they could ride her. She never and this this was, you know, going nuts.
Speaker 4: That's actually good because they got used to.
Speaker 2: Total around totally normal. It was just the fear that actually my wife more than anything. He was like, p s A right, quick, get your kids dogs, to get your kids dogs.
Speaker 3: If you got kids, you can, if you can treat the dog, if you can give the dog the life it deserves.
Speaker 1: Get you, get your kids.
Speaker 4: And if you can't, just get dogs. And no kids, don't worry kids.
Speaker 1: So fits kids in the audience chunk them.
Speaker 4: Yeah I met humanely.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so all that say. My dog goes to to training for two for four weeks.
Speaker 3: Two weeks into the train and they send us a video and she's like sitting and I'm like shying.
Speaker 1: I had my dog.
Speaker 3: I had her doing that like I need to see I need to see something. You know, this is a lot of money, a lot of time, a stake in front of her. Let me see something happening. I could not have been more wrong. We went and picked her up this week and this dog is a new shout out Canine Global and kind of prim Springs area west of town.
Speaker 1: Here. Man, they did a great job.
Speaker 3: She is so much more calm. She has not jumped on my kids a single time. She listens to directions. She's jumping in the back of the side by side and I can drop a tailgate, load up, she's the back side by the locker up and go for miles. That she just it's like and it really made me understand that that dogs like that. They want they want structure, and they want to please you and they want to And I'm telling yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, I'm not much on the horse.
Speaker 1: I don't know much. I wish I did.
Speaker 3: That's one of the country things. I think we missed out on that. And like vehicles, like I don't know how to do nothing on the vehicle. Horses and vehicles. Yeah, that's cool, man.
Speaker 1: I'm glad at that. I'm glad that kind of dogs under control.
Speaker 2: And it's cool that somebody that you trained your dogs. It's kind of like it's kind of like letting somebody else know your yard.
Speaker 1: I was wrong, No, it's not, it's not like that at.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: I'm mad at a just I couldn't do this kidding. I'm mad at Bradford pairs. I hate them. I got fourteen of them and every windstorm that comes through it cause it's it's like five hundred to eight hundred bucks a tree to get it topped.
Speaker 1: How do you have fourteen? I got fourteen? They line the whole property with Bradford pairs, and so they're all getting old.
Speaker 4: Now what do you mean they lined the whole property?
Speaker 2: Was this whoever planted those, whoever made the terrible divers of the house before you? Before I got there, before I bought it?
Speaker 4: You? How long have you had your place?
Speaker 1: Five years?
Speaker 4: Five years? Wow?
Speaker 2: So you are just inherited, just inherited a lifetime or like what until I saw that house?
Speaker 1: Probably why they saw house the probably summer, the summer of cutting up.
Speaker 4: The real estate agent mentioned how expensive it was to top those trees. I saw.
Speaker 1: I saw a meme.
Speaker 2: So my thing is like, it's that expensive to top of them, it's gonna give. It costs me almost fourteen ten thousand, fourteen thousand dollars going to cut so I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: No, they're kind of invasive too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have around our property we have what are they called potacarpus.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 6: Bigotacarpuss, like big, big, big bush heath trees that grow up tall or if you trim them right, they they just bush out like that and uh and they're great for like privacy and everything, but you know, they can get really high and so it costs a lot to trim them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Bradford, I think the Devil made brad for pairs.
Speaker 4: Wow, that sounds like a song. Devil, Let's do it, Bradford Pears is a very singable.
Speaker 2: Yeah off the time ye.
Speaker 4: Put it in c.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Devil made brad for pairs. I'm just gonna put the guitar. You don't say the exact melody of the exact you know what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Have you ever played the mind game?
Speaker 1: Let's play?
Speaker 2: How we play?
Speaker 4: Well, okay we could try, but this is how you play.
Speaker 7: First off to everyone who is not just heard that happen? Uh, that was completely circumstantial, like exact melody harmony. Yeah, and I get it was, but still it's like it was the vibe of that that blue my mom. Sorry, sorry, okay, mom, meld.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a perfect circumcise, indeed, circumcisions, circumstance. Yeah, that's what I was. Okay, close enough, So what was I going to say?
Speaker 1: Oh, meld.
Speaker 4: All right, So you on three right, you think of a random word, and it's generally not a person or a business. It's more like just a random word like tree or rock or country or whatever. And you think of a random word, you say it on three right, and then we'll say and then you guys will try and say the same word when you count after three.
Speaker 1: Off of those words, like what what?
Speaker 4: What connects those two words together? So like we'll just say random word on three y'all two, yeah, me and him and so like one two three badger? Okay, well sorry, let's do it again. Another one, yeah, pick another one.
Speaker 2: I'll clant to three, y'all say, yeah already, yeah, okay, one two, two three.
Speaker 4: Okay, so mud and deer. First word comes to your head on.
Speaker 2: Three one two three oak tree?
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't have one. That was too fast, too.
Speaker 4: Fast to try and say the same words.
Speaker 1: Let's do it again, and let's get to one where we say the same word forever. That's the problem. Okay, we'll put a forty five second time. You'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Second, you'll do it again.
Speaker 1: Wait, you'll got it. Got another word?
Speaker 2: Random word in anything, dude, Let's go I know what if I say, I know, I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Kay ready?
Speaker 2: One two three sunglasses sunglasses coozy okay?
Speaker 1: Count okay? One two three sunglasses case what.
Speaker 2: Sunglasses?
Speaker 1: I said? Beach Okay? So now I was thinking of.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, stupid sunglasses case and be beach beach okay. One two three Florid Florida sunscreen. So wait now to Florida sunscreen. One two three summer.
Speaker 4: Close. I just went straight son you just.
Speaker 2: I was going to go if we close enough, alright, game, good game.
Speaker 4: Basically we did the musical version of that just.
Speaker 1: Devil bread circle. What I'm saying, I see what you're saying right there.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's talk about your your growing up. So you lived in Texas? Were you born and raised in Texas well up early?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I was born in Austin, Okay. And then my mom helped start a Montessori school out in Spicewood, out where the ranch is cool, and so early on I would go to this Montessori school. But then they also had a place in Hawaii, and I since before I was born, and so I went to a Montessori school out there growing up early. But mostly I was in Austin until about seven or eight years old, and then I went I pretty much finished my schooling into high school in Maui, Hawaii, but we.
Speaker 1: Went to Malai on our home. Man, it's it's my favorite place I've ever been.
Speaker 4: Oh it's yeah, it's it's a beautiful place. And as soon as I could, I went and got myself a place there. Yeah, like you know, after Star is born, and with a lot of stuff, I had some some money saved up. ID been on the road for fifteen years and never you know, I was just literally two hundred and fifty shows a year on the road. And fifty shows oh yeah, yeah, because I'd go out. Because I'd go out. First it was in a van, and then it was in an RV, and then it was in you know, because I always wanted to just for my own sake, just do things on my own. You know. I never really wanted to, you know, I just I knew I was a good songwriter, a good musician, and a good singer and a performer, and so I just wanted to try and and prove to myself that I could go out and make people happy that you know, absolutely, And so I didn't really want to, you know, fast track myself. I wanted to put in the time, you know, and so we put in a grind for a long time. But that meant too being out on the road, you know. I was like, you know, eventually I started to be able to save up money because I wasn't really anywhere long enough to like pay rent, you know, because I'd go out on the road for the most of the year, and then i'd go visit my parents for like, you know, a couple of weeks in the winter, and then I'd go back out. And we're just always out, yeah, and if you're playing, ye, you're always you're just always out on the road recording, doing whatever. So I ended up saving some dough and eventually got up into Maui and decided about twenty minutes from where my parents and I and I grew up. It's part of it in Haiku is the north Shore.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful place and it's just like my perfect you know, set up there. So I'm really happy about about That's a great spot to go in, like after you've been out the whole year long to go decompress and and if yeah, and and uh, and there's a lot of great little spots out here. I have a spot in Sylvan Park that I rent. I actually just rent it here. Uh And it's a great little area here and that's that's a beautiful place too, just in terms of being quiet and resting. And so I try to base out of here when I'm I'm working throughout the year because it's hard to get to Maui and and come back and forth.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: You know, what's your favorite thing to do while you're there is a surf.
Speaker 4: Surf my my buddy is a bow hunter. He always has fresh meat and access access steer out. Really oh man, it's a really good hunt.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never had so.
Speaker 2: So we when we were there, we one day, we just took the We just took We rented a jeep for two We were there for two weeks and rented a jeep and stayed. We stayed at four different places. We stayed like the first three days we just did the resort thing all inclusive. We chilled out from the wedding, relaxed, and then we got the jeep and we went and stayed in uh Paia yahayah. And then we stayed up in the mountain on a little like farm, little spot. Beautiful, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 2: And then we stayed on the road to Hunt on the black on the black sand beaches over there in black sand. So and so we were we would take a one day. We were like, let's just drive around the whole island. Let's just take a time to just go see and we'll stop the road to Hanna and do the thing and eat lunch. And but we got to some part and I think when you're looking at Maui, it might have it might have been the north the northeast side of the of the island. But we ran upon this old church and I wanted to look at it. And we pulled off on this in the old church and you could see, you know, mountains up to your right and ocean down your left, and just one hundred yards out in front of us. Jordan was like, oh my goodness, what is that. And we looked and there was just a herd of accessteers standing in front of us.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you were out on the backside maybe cal Pole, near cal Pole, or like kip a Hulu. There's a little church out there, which a great there's a great little wave over there too, but that road is often kind of closed off to tourists going around the back area because it gets washed away. Sketchy too, pretty sketchy, Yeah, humble, but it's a great little area. And yeah, that's actually one of my favorite. My buddy Matt Meola is a professional surfer. He's one of the best in the world. He's, you know, one of the guys who just does like all the flips and I mean he was one of the first people to ever do like a flip on a surfboard. And uh, and he's he and I grew up together, and he's super into bow hunting. He's really really into bow hunting. So you know, the best best thing in Maui to me is just to go home hang out with all my friends that I grew up with there that all do outdoors the things, and you know, and we all go do you know with surfer we'll or we'll or he'll you know, I've gone out hunting with him, but he'll we'll, we'll eat just the most incredible We'll let cook a the leg of a female deer.
Speaker 1: Yes, access is considered one of the best mates.
Speaker 4: And but the way that he cooks it. He you got like a hibachi grill and he'll glaze it with a Jimmy chury that he that he makes, and he's get the whole leg and you just sear it just a little bit and then you slice little slices off and you serve it like that. Oh my god, and with the Jimmy jewry there and then you dip it. It's just like little morsels that and it's lean is lean, is good meat.
Speaker 2: It's so good for you, for sure.
Speaker 1: Does he hunt on Malway? Does he go to Lena's really good hunting too?
Speaker 4: Right? Like?
Speaker 2: Is that wrong?
Speaker 4: A lot of turkey on the Nie, that's what we're talking about. There's a lot of turkey there. But and I'm not saying it ain't. I don't think there's probably a deer there. But the deer were brought to Hawaii like the seventeen or eighteen hundreds by the I think the Indian government came and gave like seven axis deer really as a gift to the Hawaiian king uh and they think were brought to one of the islands and then kind of spread around from there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and it's it's really interesting how they ended up there. Yeah, and they're considered invasive. They are you know, uh the yeah, and they eat everything, you know, so.
Speaker 1: They eat seasons year round, right, and.
Speaker 4: There's no season there. But the thing about it is, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think there's like I don't I don't even think there's like a bag limit, like I think you can.
Speaker 4: Just no absolutely. But the problem is is that a lot of times they'll hire like out of state people to come in and just gun them down broad.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: And that was the thing is that you know, there's there's a big push to keep local hunting and make you know, give incentives for local hunters to go out with their bowls you know, well like bowl hunting, and it's just it's such a it's a much more sustainable thing for sure, and if you just kind of open up the land more to that, you know. But they're people making a lot of money on the idea of just kind of killing them in masks and and they're culling them and you know, there's even you know, I think it's a real bad call, but a lot of people trying to say that you know, you could just ways that they come up to get rid of the deer. I think are are are more motivated.
Speaker 2: By it always is you know, money, money, you know, and.
Speaker 4: I think that there's such a there's such an opportunity to have like a sustainable.
Speaker 2: Absolute there is, yeah, give and take there, but what that takes is money, right, You got to have some you got to have hired officials you know, are not officials, but like some sort of DTA you know, department resources kind of managing that herd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's true. I mean, look, there's a lot of them out there, but they're but they're less and they're being pushed into different areas and sometimes.
Speaker 3: By commercialization or hunting or yeah.
Speaker 4: Well by you know, by the types of calling the you know that they do they kind of bring I mean in.
Speaker 3: New Zealand, they net them, they poison them, They helicopters.
Speaker 4: Some of these guys have floated poison and everybody on the island that that that understands it knows the right way to do it, but you know, you just kind of have to cut through a lot of tape to do that.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there's a lot of people locally that do hunt that that absolutely really is there.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of local hunters. I mean, the pontil culture in Hawaii is is strong. It's a there's there's a farming culture, and the Pontiola is like the cowboy the Pontiola cowboys, and there's.
Speaker 1: I've literally never heard of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's there's a lot of people love country music out there. Really, all the locals will drive in their lifted trucks and they'll be.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, Yeahwai country music.
Speaker 1: Hitch boys welcome.
Speaker 4: Because there's a lot of people that work construction and and and farms and and and.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have thought that. I just assumed it's all beaches and uh.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing about Maui too, is like Maui specifically, that's right, It's like that's it's dude. If you want to if you want to surf in the morning, you can go surf in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you want to go hunt a farm or hunt mountains in the afternoon and go do that. If you want to go hike and jump off waterfalls, you can do that. That's the It's the most incredible place. I mean, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It's a really great. And there's a lot of great, really down to earth good people out there that just love to live off the land and kind of simple lives. And yeah, and that slow pace, it's a very slow pace, and that's what gets me, you know, ready for the next year. I'll go there and I'll spend two months with my friends there and we'll we'll you know, we'll we'll have barbecues and chill outcharge, recharge well, you know. And a lot of them are you know, uh to the age now where some of them are having kids and some of them are you know, uh and uh and and it's just nice. It's just a nice, slow kind of you know, being around that energy is powerful.
Speaker 1: Have they how have that has it been? Post fires? Are they?
Speaker 2: Are they rebuilding?
Speaker 4: So I was actually I was hunting the day of the fires. I was out with my buddy Matt and he was bow hunting, and I was I had gone out there. I was thinking, all right, I've never gone out with him. I want to go and really just experience, learn, learn the rope, Understand how to clean a deer, understand how to do this thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good skill to have.
Speaker 6: And and.
Speaker 4: We didn't get a deer, but we came back eight hours later having just been feeling great. It was just a really nice time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And uh and and the island was was burning and uh. The first fires were that we heard about were up in Coola up country because there was there was just it wasn't just the Lina. There were four different fires and they were all over the different and we saw I mean, I have a friend who called me and said, I just saw a power line fall down and a big fire to start, you know, so it's like we know how it started. And the worst part about it was that afterwards it just became this social media craze about it. You know. Oh, it's like lasers and the government and the like whoa whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa what Let's just figure out how to put the fire out first.
Speaker 2: That's a great song title too, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Put the fire out first. Yeah, yeah, put your mask on first.
Speaker 1: Don't you go start write a song on me?
Speaker 4: Break? Yeah? Anyway, it was. It was really devastating, and then there was a lot of mixed messaging going out about like whether you should come because of respect for the local culture or whether you should not go. But then a lot of the locals work in the industries and the tourists power and so it was just very you know, and and a lot of people had to move away and leave a lot of locals that you know, got there, you know. And then people from overseas were coming and trying to like buy the properties that had been burned.
Speaker 2: On the dollar.
Speaker 4: So a lot of that had but I think I think they tried to do and they may have done a pretty good job at keeping that at bay and a lot of the people and the families or there was a settlement. I'm not sure if it got to you know, I'm not really sure. I was just boots on the ground for about a month afterwards with some of my friends. I mean, we were literally putting out.
Speaker 1: That's what I asked, what what are you? What were y'all?
Speaker 2: Were you literally like, let's hop of the trunck and just go see how we can help. Yes, because now, and I was gonna say that too. Community now it feels like that, Yeah, it feels like such a strong local presence of community and and like yeah, like if like I'm like, we're all MAUI, you know what I'm saying, So like like, go to help out, go do what you can to rebuild.
Speaker 4: Initially, everybody came together, you know. Later on it became a little bit complicated with where does everybody go and who needs what and who needs more? You know, and and that, you know, that's always how it goes, you know.
Speaker 1: So what I want to know, you jumped the truck and you just head down to where the fires are.
Speaker 4: Well, we couldn't get there. Nobody could get there. The roads were blocked off and everything, you know, which was the problem. It was a lot of confusion there. But yeah, afterwards everybody was just like I was working with my flight school, and so I was helping to put supplies on a little airplane and get them flown out to a little airport right there. That would, you know, So that was kind of my I would go around to all the different places that were offering supplies and pick up you know, supplies, drop them off at my flight school. We'd load them up on the plane and then find with you know. And so that was that would that was And then the other thing was I had an auntie that my best friend AT's aunt basically his mom's best friend had a property that was still being threatened by fires that were popping up. So me and him and a bunch of other people went up there was clearing the brush around her house and we were uh and we were putting literally put taking bugs of water and putting out little fires that would spring up. And we had one helicopter that was helping us out that just happened to see all these fires, and so it was kind of cool. You could see how they dump the you know, they dip into somebody's pool and take the water out and then just dump all these little hot spots. And we'd be pointing out these little hot spots. O man. Yeah, And that happened for weeks and weeks, you know, and you know, and uh so that is it.
Speaker 3: The embers that are kind of getting put up in the air and then landing and the starting small fires or.
Speaker 4: Just like underground like this, you know, the there'd just be little like embers and coals that are just still still burning that would like, you know, pop up these different little spots all around them. It was a very surreal moment for for everyone because it was it was also a really high death toll comparatively with how many people there that there are on the island even and and that were in that city. There's only probably twelve thousand people in that city. So you think about it, like with the La fires being just an extreme devastation over a really really large area, but less death toll than the actual Maui fires. Wow, you know, and so a lot more people lost their homes, a lot more people in the really the Altadna area was just devastated, and that's one of the first like black areas that really started doing well for that community. And it's just really sad, you know, so like it, you know, a lot of underprivileged folks suffered the most. And I think that that's really the sad part of things is that you know, you know, but I mean everybody like in La came together and started helping it as well. And you know, I really that's the one thing that at times with adversity, it's nice to see people.
Speaker 2: No doubt, it is, no doubt.
Speaker 1: How's how's it now? Is it cleaned up?
Speaker 4: You know, they're doing they're doing what they can. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm gonna read, uh, I'm gonna read something that you posted on on Instagram and and we can get into that and then go into your record.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. This is from Lucas four years ago. I was afraid to fly. Every time I got on an airplane, which was a lot. I felt I was rolling the dice and I couldn't rational rationalize my anxiety down. I smoked weed every day, I drank, I didn't exercise, and I was overweight. Life can throw me some real curveballs. I never made them public, and I never will. I appreciate what I had. I always have been grateful I had a roof over my head I could eat. However, the entertainment industry and my legacy painted a very narrow picture of me, of who I was supposed to be and what my life actually meant a painting. I thought I was meant to live inside, playing a part that wasn't really me, but that I had been conditioned to think that was part of the life I chose. I was truly not happy. I knew I had more potential. A key person at the right moment encouraged me to listen to myself, and I was quiet enough to hear.
Speaker 1: I could not.
Speaker 2: Ignore that voice. Dude, I got chill bumps all over my body. I needed to make the most of myself. I quit smoking, quit drinking. With the help of some amazing trainers, I got myself into shape, and in that new clarity, I learned to fly. I decided the best way to conquer my fear of flying was to learn how to do it myself. I don't know many pilots who are afraid to fly, and so I went to flight school. I faced my fear. Today, I'm in my mid thirties, in the best shape of my life, with a new album on the way, and with my friends and family around me encouraging me to be the absolute best version of myself. I never would have been able to picture this person I am four years ago. Four years ago I was afraid to fly, and now I'm a pilot. God ain't done. I had Graham read that to me. I had the Graam read that to me while we were driving up this morning. And dude, we immediately started to listen to your record after that, and like, that's that's inspiring stuff. Man.
Speaker 4: Well thanks and I and and.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many people you touched with with that, or with your story of sobriety and and and and conquering those fears. But like it touched me this morning day. It was it was inspired. Man.
Speaker 4: Thanks, you know, well, I'm glad that that it did.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: It took a lot for me to write that because I always admired people who just did what they did without having to tell anyone. Sure, you know what I mean, Like I really I have a friend in Maui who's just quietly one of the most badass humans I ever knew, and he doesn't need to tell anybody, he doesn't need to talk about it, and I look up to that humility. Sure, but there was just you know, I think that there was just something that that made me feel like I needed to share because of my platform, more of who I am than I would normally. You know, I've always just felt like, all right, just play your music and shut up, you know, and for sure, but I just feel like, you know, there are certain things that and other people told me too, like you got to share this, you know, what's going to help people? And I felt like, well, I don't know if like my music is going to help anybody. I just do what I do, you know, but maybe that story would maybe help people or inspire people.
Speaker 2: What was the turning point and the the thing about like you were living in a picture that you just thought you had to live in. That that a painting that wasn't yours. Like, what was the turning point to to start painting your own painting and live in the painting that you created and not that the painting you were placed in by yeah, your dad?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 4: I think the greatest lesson I ever learned recently is that you don't have to You don't have to become your heroes. You know, you don't have to live like them in order to be.
Speaker 2: A hero, be a hero.
Speaker 4: You know, you really are the word. You know, you are your own if you if you just listen to what the voice inside of you is saying you want to do, rather than what you know all of the all you know because I look up to my dad. He inspired me to become a musician. I started playing music so I could be closer to him. But you know, and then I think subconsciously, you know, I grew my hair long, I had a beard, and it wasn't like I was trying to be him, but I was in a way. I was like I wanted to be like him because I look up to him, just like everybody wants to be like their dad if they look up to their dad, or their mom, if they look up to their mom, you know. And I was like, but and then, you know, even with like Jimmy Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan and all these you know, musicians that I that really touched me and inspired me growing up, I started living like them. I was, you know, smoking weed, doing those things that you know, you don't have to live all of the mistakes at the same time that you take the inspiration, you know. And I think that that was a big lesson that I learned. Like a lot of people that I see out there, just I think they feel like, well, in order to do this music thing, I got to act like the icons that I you know, that that came before me, because otherwise it's not real or well it's not you know. But what's more authentic to me is is that, like, do I have to be fed up to to to be a musician?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: In fact, most of the songs I ever wrote were in moments of epiphany. There were in moments where I got through what I was going through and I was clear enough to put it into thought, you know. And so you know, I started now taking and now when I write, I write so much more and I write so much better now. But not that I don't write well. I mean the first song I ever wrote on my album.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, eleven years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was eleven as you were it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what Chris Chris Tolson had to say about that, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, he just said, man, if you're you know, I see he said, are you a songwriter? You're going to be a song I don't know. He said, well that song you don't have a choice. Wow, And so that got me inspired. Wow, that was that song really started my journey. My dad recorded it back then, and then that gave me the confidence to kind.
Speaker 3: Of do it's and listen, it is way beyond it's way beyond the normal eleven year old.
Speaker 1: I mean you hear that.
Speaker 3: I heard that song the way in and I was like, Okay, there's only a few eleven year olds in the world that have been exposed to songs enough and that much by the time they get to that age to write that. Yeah, that's not a normal process.
Speaker 4: It was just yeah. I mean, like and like you said, I was exposed to the music from such a young age. It was just in me, I think, and I just some of the greatest music, and I decided, yeah, I like. But I also took an interest in it, you know, from a young age too. It was also something that really, you know, sometimes you either get the bug or you don't, right, and I got really I got the bug early, and so that anyway, so that was you know, that was the lie though, was that I had to live like those people in order to beat But I was eleven and I wrote that song and I hadn't done anything at that point. I think it's smart started smoking weed pretty close to that, but not, but it wasn't, you know, it honestly wasn't. It's not. It wasn't. It's not the weed, it's not the booze, it's not the debauchery, not that that gives you the inspiration, So you don't. So that was the big lie.
Speaker 1: That was the clarity.
Speaker 4: And so the clarity was, I don't have to be any of that. I don't have to look like I don't even have to look like my idols. I don't have to dress like my idol like them, sing like them. I just have to try and be as you know, strip all of that away and really try and figure out, all right, who were I what what do I have to offer? And I think for the rest of my life, everybody's going to compare me to my father or they're gonna you know, I'll always be two people who don't really know me. A nepo baby. And that's fine, you know, that's the term that's been thrown around. And like, you know, right, you know, I got opportunities, you know, and that that others wouldn't get.
Speaker 3: But also, if you're out there playing two hundred and fifty days a year, ain't nobody giving you nothing?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's serious.
Speaker 4: I had to prove to myself that I was worth something, and so I had to tell myself, all right, you're gonna have to work twice as hard, and you're going to have to because other people aren't going to think that you had to work at all.
Speaker 2: And so you know, and and and I and I love that because it ain't about what other people think. It's proven to yourself that something. And then you know, for the rest of my life, I get to walk through life saying I tried my hardest. And then when I die, if I'm looking at and taking my last breath. I can say you know that I did a good job and I gave it my best, you know, and that's what all of us, I think, are searching for.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what you did a good job on is this record. It is so good.
Speaker 4: And Shooter Shooter is great, shooters great, He's done a lot of great stuff. He's working on Jake Owen record right now. What I thought, I probably maybe I shouldn't have said, but they are working. Oh man, I heard some sounds good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your favorite? We got a little sneak it comes out of this Friday everybody speaking of I mean.
Speaker 3: I got a bunch I love. I loved you were it just just to kind of you take some notes. Well, I'm just making sure I'm saying the title. You're just like, yeah, uh you were. It was nasty, just because you know, man, it gives a little insight into like what you were going through as a child, And there's so many different emotions without no no offense. This is what I'm trying to get to. It's like, as an eleven year old, you were writing things in that song. Some of the things I feel like an eleven year old should feel some of those things. I felt like eleven year old shouldn't have had to feel. You know, it's like there's some there's some poignant words in there that it's it's it's just kind of an eye openings to who you were and where you were at that time, which is beautiful and and I love that one.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of stress in the family at the time.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean you're welcome. I meant you're welcome to talk about it.
Speaker 4: It was just yeah, I mean, look the childhood, there was a lot, there's a lot of family dynamics that were happening, and it was you.
Speaker 1: Know, uh, and so I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: I mean, our dad's a preacher, and and and you were talking about like fitting into that narrative. I feel like in our small town, in a very much more microscopic way, we were in the same.
Speaker 1: Position that we were putting a box.
Speaker 3: It was like, you're gonna be a youth minister, you're gonna you're gonna be in a gospel quartet or a trio.
Speaker 1: Or you're gonna be a preacher. And if you're not, you might not be doing God's will. Fear life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was a real struggle, man, I mean, you know, and it was it was one of those things you'd go to youth camp or whatever and they ask for people to be saved, and then they'd ask for people to dedicate their life to Christ.
Speaker 1: And it was like, you felt like the entire row is going, well, damn, you're gonna do it. I mean, you're already kind of doing the thing. Why don't you just go? And I'm like, and I and I pride myself on never doing the thing.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't that I was against Christian service rebella and you want to lie about it.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel impressed to do that.
Speaker 3: And it's a hard it's a hard fight to fight as a impressionable young person.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think it would have been a lot easier for me, though, if I had gone into finance, you know what I mean, if I'd done something completely different, you know, and just not tried to follow that voice voice.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing, man, you spoke about that a second ago, and that really resonated with me. Once you decide to to listen, to listen to that voice, and and you back that, you back what the voice is telling you by effort, right and yeah, and for me that's going and playing the shows.
Speaker 1: It's learning. It's learning music your own way.
Speaker 3: It's been inspired by your own things like that's what makes Lucas lucas well.
Speaker 4: And I also and I say that it would have been easier for me. I wouldn't have been because I didn't have a choice, but also would have been to follow the like I've always been very unable to pretend in my life.
Speaker 1: It's a good quality of it. Yeah, it's also tough.
Speaker 4: It's hard because it's it's like, you know, I've been brutally honest many times I've been you know. You know, it's you know, and and sometimes my opinion flies in the face of convention. Uh, you know, if you will. But I I the thing about that, though, is that also looked at the influences that my father had. I looked at the influences that Jimmy Hendrix had, the influences that Stevie ray Vaughn. So if I loved someone's music, I look at what they listened to and and that became my study. You know. So when I was young, I was listening to Hubert someone, I was listening to Howl and Wolf. I was listening to Lightning Hopkins. I was listening to Hank Williams. I was listening to Lefty Frizel. I was listening to you know, Ernest Tubb and and people that my dad grew up listening. Jangle Reinhart was something we both love and find, you know, And I still I sit for hours now practicing jangle reinhart uns. You know, uh, like like just good for It's good for the brain, it's good for the Dexterity's true for the fingers. And so that's that's you know, there's so much to absorb and learn in music that it never ends. And that's and as long as you, I think, always consider yourself a student of music, then then you're never going to go wrong.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 3: Give me a little bit on disappearing. Why that was the one that almost maybe wrecked this morning? Uh, it's with you and Steven Wilson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Stephen Wilson Jr. Is a fantastic Musician's a fantastic a great human and a scientist. He's a food science.
Speaker 1: Cut your hot dogs, cut your hot dogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's the guy who helps make your dog food.
Speaker 2: And would knock your head off. Yeah, he would absolute knock your head off, bit of her body if he punched you in face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does seem pretty like but yeah, it's so we wrote this song. We've wrote written many songs actually, and we really write well. And so some people you just sit down and you write a song in an hour and you're like, all, let's do another one, as you guys know. Uh, and so we wrote this song and this was out of the batch, just the most poignant I think that we'd written and uh, and both of us were like, wow, that's really good. And so we went in a studio just down the road from my place. Uh, Anderson East has a great studio and uh, and so we we recorded it and it sounded great and it was just a beautiful afternoon and everyone in the label was stoked and we so, uh, yeah, we decided to put it on the album. Uh, and I'm so glad we did. We power it's really it's really one of my favorites on the album, and I'm looking forward to what people think about it.
Speaker 2: And obviously, oh man, it's it's serious.
Speaker 3: There were some lines in there that just that really, you know, more than coffeed me I didn't even have to have my coffee.
Speaker 1: Man, what about you? What yours?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: The what's the friend? Let me be a friend friend. Yeah, that's a great song. I just found that, like.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It's different sonically throughout the whole process. Like you get your traditional country, you get your Stephen Wilson inspired you know now on guitar thing that.
Speaker 4: Was Stephen on the guitar there, yeah, and uh and.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if it was is the friend in the end? Is that a tempo? It was the Seers. No, it's not really temple. There was one.
Speaker 2: There was one melodic tempo kind of like mid tempo thing that was just it was so it was so good man. And the whole thing was the Born running out of time. Yes, yes, Born at a time. That's a great that's a great feel.
Speaker 4: Tried to get like.
Speaker 3: Then when you started talking about your pilot, I.
Speaker 1: Mean the first.
Speaker 4: Dream.
Speaker 2: Try to set it down somewhere, yeah, man, trying to set it down.
Speaker 4: Ferraro and John dishes that with them. That was a nice, nice little set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some heavy hitters. That's awesome. Yeah, man, well it's it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Congratulations make you happy too.
Speaker 1: I thought that was make you happy as a sneaker, Yeah, sneaky.
Speaker 4: That one to me just feels so good. And the guitar and it's like it's got kind of like a Fleetwood Mac kind of like done.
Speaker 2: To man.
Speaker 1: The jump he hate done. Yeah it never will be. Yeah, never will be.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was that wasn't great. You know, God ain't done. It's probably my favorite on the on the record, just because you know it was and as I'm glad it's the first statement we made as a single coming out, you know, post that post, you know, post what it would in my life. That's like, you know, it just kind of speaks to where I'm at now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not gonna I guess I'm putting you on the spot. Would you play us a verse in chorse of anything on the record? Yea, absolutely, you pick because I.
Speaker 1: Love them all all right? Half step down, I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm stuck with on a bus full of guys.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that one. Was that one on me?
Speaker 4: I have to stand straight, I can't.
Speaker 1: Turn to the side. This is the target experience A girl around.
Speaker 4: We go for a ride, but I'm stuck with the We're on a bus full of guys. Here's the first verse here.
Speaker 1: Oh we're still going.
Speaker 4: We talked on the phone and you miss me. I know, but the tone of your voice caused my feelings to grow. Now the drever on.
Speaker 5: And they're hard as a rock.
Speaker 4: I wish I could show you my lies stuck with on a bus full of guys.
Speaker 2: I've stuck with.
Speaker 1: On a bus full of guys.
Speaker 4: I had to stand straight, I can't turn to the side, get my bell around, and then we'd go for ride. But I'm stump on the bus guys. Yeah, that's the exclusive social clip.
Speaker 1: There's your social clip right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's actually from the record, but that's on the record with Future Record.
Speaker 2: That's on the record with Devil Made The Devil Made Brad Repairs.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I serious.
Speaker 1: I was like, he just went in on that, just going going, all right, let's see it beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try and sing something of it. I don't know if I can, but because it is half stepped down.
Speaker 2: That'll help.
Speaker 1: So yeah, roos to cross.
Speaker 4: I come round in a like a humming bird. I'm humming and wait for me.
Speaker 5: I'm almost there, gonna prove to you I really care. They can about you, town to town, tell me to or turn around.
Speaker 4: My love goes, My love flies more than me than meets the I know what you're thinking about now, you're thinking that I'm never gonna come around. I just want to make you see. All I wanna do is make you happy.
Speaker 2: You ah my goodness, to.
Speaker 4: Make you happy, making solthing out nothing because there ain't nothing. Man, making sure you don't ever doubt me. All I want to do is make you see. All I want to do is make you happy. Bro. That's a little short version of Oh man, so good, I mean so good, thank you. That's Delaney Ramstol and John Decius and myself. We wrote that song, and boy that they really Delaney does a little she's the one who who who? And who put that in there? And boy that really I feel like that makes a song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's up? It helps for sure? What's on the horizon?
Speaker 2: Man, you're gonna put your record out, You're gonna go yougo tour it, You're gonna play some shows.
Speaker 4: And there's the thing I go to it. We got shows and uh we've got shows posted right now.
Speaker 1: Uh July, can we come to the show please.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Were you anywhere close? Anywhere?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Do I know?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Where are we gonna be?
Speaker 2: Do you know you were close? Okay?
Speaker 1: Now, so yeah, we're coming. We're coming to one. I got, I got and I got to bring my neighbor Kevin. Do he loves you so much?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Kevin? Well, congratulations on his Sobriet.
Speaker 1: Yeah five years now. I think he's five years in.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: We have a we have a great relationship. He's like the he's like a neighbor, neighbor uncle, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They all just pile on him and it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: That's great, Lucas man, you're inspiring.
Speaker 4: Bro. Oh you guys are this.
Speaker 3: I was watching the clock the entire time, going like slow down clock. I want now, I want to hear more from you. I want to hear more about you. We're getting close hur hour and five minutes in.
Speaker 1: That's what we can't.
Speaker 2: We don't know how to start it. So we always just started on twelve, so it just goes to five. Let's go far around. That's all right, But no, man, your your message and and and and just the way you know, the way you go about it and uh, and you know the way you live is is is for everybody watching men, it's it's inspiring. And I appreciate appreciate your heart and coming on here and sharing it with us a little bit.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you all for having me.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you before we get out here. Yeah, we did real good, man, we did real good. I didn't ask about it any of my heroes. It's all about you give us.
Speaker 1: I know your dad loves telling jokes. Have you got any good jokes?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, he tells He told one. Uh, he told one on Instagram, Instagram on Uh it was like on Kimmel or something. I was like and I was like, wow, is he really going to tell that joke?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Which one did he tell?
Speaker 2: Take your time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, Well, I'll tell you this one. I went to the doctor the other day and he said, you gotta stop masturbating. And I said why and he said, so I can examine you.
Speaker 2: You asked for it.
Speaker 4: Well, And then he told one. Dad told one and he said, this guy goes up, the doctor comes, you might have to cut this one out of the doctor comes up to him and says, sir, I have some bad news. You've got AIDS and you've got Alzheimer's And he said, well, at least I don't have AIDS. I think Dad did tell that on National.
Speaker 1: It's been a long time summer to joke that.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: All right, uh yeah, give me the boot.
Speaker 2: Let's do gravorite, Let's do great and then we'll do they'll again, Oh yeah, well we'll be so tell so uh huh, tell about gene Autry again.
Speaker 4: And are you worried about what I'm about to play right now?
Speaker 2: All right, we've got the power post edit if we need to graverite? Is what eighty cornerstone song in your life? That's basically it anything you want to do? Well about five million.
Speaker 4: You had mentioned that we were talking about back in the Saddle, and that song really means a lot.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: My full name is Lucas Autrey Nelson and Gene Autry I was told as my godfather. He was the first person to hold me and so when I was some of my earliest memories are watching old gene Autry and I remember Dad singing this to me, and you know, uh, I'm back in the saddle again. Out where a friend is a friend, wear the long horn cattle feed on the lawnly Jensen weed, I'm back in the saddle again, riding range once more, toading mild forty four. Well, we sleep out every night and the only laws ride. Uh, how did I'm back in.
Speaker 1: The saddle again?
Speaker 4: Something like cold Man? I can't remember that.
Speaker 1: Course he's cool. He's like, real cool, You're real cool. No, y'all, real'all. I'm putting you on the spot. Now, you're cool.
Speaker 4: Now cool.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: You threw in a little.
Speaker 2: Album release party and had air Cup on stage and you played a little snippet of God Ain't Up?
Speaker 4: Well, oh Sabrina?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when does it check this out?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I told him. I said we should put on some mask era have it run down our face for this song. But we couldn't get it in the time. I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not spring carpet with the system.
Speaker 4: I know I have good judgment. I know I have good tea. It's funny and it's ironic that only I feel that way. I promised them that you're different. Everyone makes mistakes, but judge don't.
Speaker 2: This is very low because it's half stepped down.
Speaker 1: That's good. Okay.
Speaker 4: Uh, I heard that you're an act, so I act like a stand up guy. Whatever devil's inside, you don't let them out tonight. I tell them it's just your culture. And everyone rolls their eyes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I no, Please please please please don't prove I'm right.
Speaker 4: Please please please don't bring me to tears when I just did my make us nice. Heartbreak is one thing, my egos another. I beg you don't embarrass me, mother, Please please please, this is my favorite part. I won't sing a whole part.
Speaker 1: Please, I heard.
Speaker 4: I know you have some fun, so I don't. I just like the modulation. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: That's killing man.
Speaker 4: Profound, it is profound. It is that it's a good found So that's a good song.
Speaker 2: Hey man, we didn't even talk about your Grammy that you won for for working on song was born and with Goggan, Raley Cooper.
Speaker 1: Dude, you're you're You're so sad. I'm coming on. We have a little gift for you for you coming on some toka. I know you're a g tok of a guy, but I love the man.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: This is a good pay for those with our own money, hard earned sweat.
Speaker 4: I appreciate y'all so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you, absolutely, take take them out man, show show.
Speaker 4: Well, this is good because it's good for the brand, because it's another color. You know, I have black everything, but this would be good for that.
Speaker 3: Good look good on you. They'll look good on you in the show that you play. That we get to come watch you. That's because you're giving us tickets.
Speaker 4: Want to put them on for the show. And yeah, it's good. It's got the rubber there.
Speaker 1: Good quality boot. Yeah, built very well.
Speaker 2: Hey man, American Romance comes out this Friday. It's spectacular. You're gonna want to check it out. You're gonna stream it, listen to it all, go see a show starting to start. Yeah this year, Lucas, you're so cool man, give me a powerful stream please.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Power stream is a really solid.
Speaker 4: Stream, like a river that runs stream.
Speaker 1: That's the song. That's three, that's three, the Unbroken Stream.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm gonna come out to Hawaiian Hunt with you and your buddy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know that there a song on the record about a stream. You dreamed there was a stream coming through your house and it washed.
Speaker 4: Last night I woke up to a raging river that tore through my friend in the inn. That's only like through my house, and that stole my clothes.
Speaker 1: I called out for you.
Speaker 4: I was cold and shivering a sliver of light with my happy penus grew. You know, let's see how I slid in. The penis grows and.
Speaker 3: The sliver shivering is what I thought was an interesting rhyme.
Speaker 1: How you worked that.
Speaker 4: I'm just such an immature human.
Speaker 1: No, man, keep it you, keep it light.
Speaker 2: Hey Lucas Nelson, everybody, thanks for thanks for hanging out in God's country with us.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I hope, I hope none of y'all get canceled, because from.
Speaker 2: Me, I'm not.
Speaker 1: We're good, dude. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: See you later,