Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I Eat, Breathe, and Sleep the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: My team that is a tightrope walk across Niagara Fall.
Speaker 2: That's hard to do.
Speaker 3: SA name an inch is so finding that one little inch to be successful.
Speaker 2: It all matters.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop Game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: Dude's a lot of things going on.
Speaker 5: We're a week out from the twenty twenty five NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: Can you believe it's finally here?
Speaker 2: It's crazy, ea.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember, you know, being an indie with you, and I felt like the draft was still so far away. It was like over two months away. And literally now we're seven days away from the twenty twenty five NFL Driver. It's just interesting, right because as the NFL schedule has expanded and college has expanded, it feels like everything just kind of runs up on you real quick. But I'm excited, man, seven days away from guys, you know, realize.
Speaker 1: Man, there's so many things happening.
Speaker 5: You just mentioned college schedule how about to transfer portal and and i al and the NBA playoffs and the NHL playoffs.
Speaker 1: But football is king, Football is always king. It's the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 5: Right now, we're gonna get to a couple questions down the line. We had a lot of participation when we put that up on our social media accounts as far as we're gonna be taking some questions during the podcast.
Speaker 1: But as we sit here today, duce number seven overall, if.
Speaker 5: The Jets stay there, is it amongst four players or five players that you think ultimately the Jets will be choosing from.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say five, and I'm trying to name them for you right our mom Imbu the off of the tackle from Missouri, Ted Tyro McMillan from Arizona, the receiver Tyler Warren tight end from Penn State, off chance Mason Graham falls a couple spots Mason Graham and I think a dark horse one and our guy Ethan Greenberg, me and him talked about this when and this is his dark horse for the number seven pick. Jalen Walker, I think is a real possibility at the number seven overall pick for the Jets. Again, it would depend on how the draft board fell in front of the Jets, but a lot of teams are high on him, and I don't believe he gets past pick eight with the Carolina Panthers, so I believe he's pretty high on the Jets draft board as well.
Speaker 5: Wow, would Will Campbell be in play if he was there at seven?
Speaker 2: If the draft goes kind of how I think it will.
Speaker 3: We all assuming cam Ward's going number one overall, and for all intents and purposes, it seems like Travis Hunter will be the number two overall pick. So if you're the Giants right now, they are doing some extensive work on Shador Sanders, but I think they would like him later in the draft, maybe a trade back up into the first round. Abdul Carter is a generational type talent. I think they it'd be hard for them to pass up on that, right, so I assume he goes three overall. I think the Patriots are run Will Campbell's card in because he's the most technically sound offensive tackle in this draft. It's literally like he's on easy Street at times when he's in pass pro, he makes it look easy at times. I don't people will get at the arm length but again with offensive line of defensive line play, it's all about angles, right, offensive tackles. A guy that I went up against in the league that's really good at still playing at a high level Lane Johnson, Yeah, he never gave you the same pass set. He gave you a different angle every time. So, like when it comes to armlngth, depending on your aiming point and how the offensive tackle sets you, that armlength can be mitigated. Those two or three inches if if he had longer arms can be kind of mitigated because he understands what his deficiencies are when it comes to the arm length. And Will Campbell does a really good job of giving you different pass sets, and I love the dog mentality that he has. He finishes in the run game. So if you're the Patriots, you're trying to rechange that culture and get back to your winning ways. I think Will Campbell is a culture changing piece for you.
Speaker 5: So with that being said, you've been saying for months that you think Graham his likely destination is five to Jacksonville. So if you take Campbell off, you take Graham off, then your left with Mambo Warren and Walker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then outside chance, outside chance McMillan, So yeah, I mean, you know me, I'm going trenches, right. I think putting Arman Mimbo with our other starting four guys would make one of the best young offensive lines in football. And when the Jets had success in twenty ten, you know twenty eleven, it was based off of a young, aggressive offensive line, right, So I think that makes the most sense. You have a quarterback that has a rare skill set when it comes to his athletic ability. You have three really good running backs. Aaron Glenn comes from Detroit where they want to pound you into submission. Tanner einstream comes from Detroit where they want to pound you into submission. I just think the writing's on the wall when it comes if the draft board worth a fall like that, ea, that Membu would be the pig.
Speaker 5: So we've shrunk the field of four and your point towards Membo. How much do you consider because the Jets are in the situation right now where you're always wanting to go to best player available, but you wanted to marry Need at the same time when you look when you look at the Jets offensive line, how much do factor in the equation the possible flexibility they got an offseason with the addition to Josh Myers, because I'm not saying they want to do that, because Darren Muji was very clear about it that he said that he considers Elijah Vera Tucker a guard. But if you ever get in a situation where you didn't take an offensive lineman there in the first round, you do have the luxury of saying, we do have Myers who can play center, Tipman does have experience playing guard, AVT has experienced playing tackle. And then other thing is the wild card in all of this for me, is or core for because a starting experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's why they were strategic in the moves they made.
Speaker 2: We kind of talked about this hea.
Speaker 3: They went after guys that maybe didn't have their best career year of the year before, but in the past have played really good football. So there's upside there. You talked about a call for you talked about Josh Myers, and I think that's the reason why they brought those guys in so they wouldn't feel pigeonhole and feeling like we have to take a right tackle with our first pick. But I just think the writings on the Wall. The upside that Membo has, he has the highest upside in this draft. Really runs off the football at athletic offensive offensive tackle that at three hundred and thirty pounds run at four nine to one, which is absurd. That lets you know the type of speed and get off he has off the ball, finishes in the run game, and has really good feet. So like that's those are the things you kind of want to check off your board when you're looking at offensive tackles.
Speaker 2: Right, how quick is he off the step? Right?
Speaker 3: Can he cut guys off on the backside? Can he get to the second level?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: What's his mentality when he gets hands on guys? Does he like to finish guys? We've seen that from Arma Mimbu and then the pass pro. Is he a fluid athlete?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Does he have the footwork? And can he sit on power? And Mimbo can do all those things. Now, people kind of said, like he's a shorter bill offensive tackles. I think he's like around like sixty three, but his armleank is thirty three and a half inch arms and some people were saying even that was short, and I'm like, when did that become short? Ro I thought thirty two, thirty one was shorter. What did thirty three and I have become shorter? Armland so it never affected him. On the film, I watch.
Speaker 5: How about two of the top prospects in this draft class, everybody's talking about their short arms, and listen, the production speaks for itself. I was just watching me Raam tape here before we came in, and again the like he just pops all the time out there, and he is considered the best defensive tackle in a loaded defensive tackle class. Okay, so fans at home might be saying, hey, dudes, good points, But Tyler Warren could help us in the run game, he can help us in the past game. Maybe he's not gonna stretch it vertically like a Bowers, but also factor in the deb chart. Dudes, when you look at Rutger, Tyler Conklin obviously departed in free agency, and then you bring out Stone Smart who can stretch it himself, He's probably gonna get more opportunities.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be interesting to watch his development.
Speaker 5: But why maybe you're angling towards Membo as opposed to Warren because people, a lot of people on the warrant side would say Hey, listen, he's gonna help us in the run game, dude. And maybe he's not gonna be but he's gonna be a productive pass catcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I love Tyler Warren.
Speaker 3: The NFL, though, is based off of facts and what we've seen in the past. Right, They like to follow the trends, if I could put it that way. And I'm a big proponent of never rank or put somebody in a certain position because they play a certain position. Right, But history does have facts, and there is a graphic that shows you that positional value is real. When it comes to taking guys in the top ten, you know, those are usually offensive tackles, guys that can affect the quarterback, guys that can throw the ball which are quarterbacks, and guys that catch the ball from quarterbacks, because those are the guys.
Speaker 2: That can immediately affect the game.
Speaker 3: I look at the history and going back since twenty fourteen, I believe there's been three tight ends that went in the top ten.
Speaker 2: Can you name him? I can name him, but can you name them me?
Speaker 5: A Can I name him? I would say, you're catching me off guard right now. It went at top ten. Oh Pitts, Yeah, obviously was Bower's top ten.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, no he was eleven.
Speaker 1: He wasn't.
Speaker 5: He wasn't because the jet's head.
Speaker 2: No, he might have been. He actually might have been twelve. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm struggling.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a hit. One was a tight end from North Carolina.
Speaker 1: M North Carolina, Eric Ebron, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And TJ. Hockinson. Okay, do you see where I'm going here.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, man. The Ebron one, nobody's getting unless they studied this one. Come in it.
Speaker 2: So this is my thing.
Speaker 3: I love Tyler Warren and again I'm a big proponent of never because the argument with the running back position with Jamir Gibbs and b Jon Robinson. My thing is those are special athletic guys that are going to touch the ball at least twenty times a game, right, so they're gonna have a bigger impact on the game. I'm just leary of taking a tight end in the top ten because what's his true impact on every single play?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: If you're lucky, Tyler Warren touches it what seven times a game? He's gonna affect the run game for sure, But do you take that in the top seven rather than taking an offensive lineman who is going to have a big impact, is gonna play every single snap for you on offense.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm going in.
Speaker 3: And I love Tyler Warren and the people will say, well, he's probably the most versatile offensive piece in this draft.
Speaker 2: And you're right.
Speaker 3: The guy can play quarterback, he can play tight end, he can play h back. They had him at center one time versus USC he snapped the ball, ran down the scene and called a touchdown. I hear all that, But the NFL follows trends, right, And I'm just leary of taking a tight end in the top ten just because of the history that I just told you about the air Key Bron, TJ. Hoginson, Cockpits, and TJ. Howkinson is a really good player. He's a Pro Bowl player. Let's not forget he got traded within the division. That's what Detroit thought of him. They traded him within the division. So again, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Liary of taking the guy in the top ten at that position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they traded him to the Vikings inside the division.
Speaker 5: And to your point about Hockinson, he was a top ten pick of the Lions, but that was the previous staff that was not the Dan Campbell, Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn's staff. Okay, so they he was drafted in the top ten by the previous staff. And also, I guess we should take this into consideration that a very productive and tight end in Detroit right now is a guy by the name of Sam Laporta who correct on you, Iowa, what was the second round pick?
Speaker 3: And that's where the value usually is for tight ends right like now, if there's specially you take them in the back of the first but that's usually the value second, third, fourth round for tight ends.
Speaker 1: Man, you really stumped me with that question. It was great though.
Speaker 5: Okay, so top of the draft, are we heading towards the scenario where okay, wards going one, but two three, those teams are gonna stick there. They're not taking quarterbacks. They might take quarterbacks later in the first round. They may take the quarterbacks in the second round, but they're not taking quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Are we there right now?
Speaker 3: Or I think the Giants are a dark horse to be honest with you, now, again, I don't see them passing up on a dual Carter I thought I was interesting on his Instagram the other day.
Speaker 2: He posted a picture of.
Speaker 3: What's the lt He posted a picture of lt UH the other day, so in his Giants uniform at that so I think I think that was a little bit of a foreshadow. Potentially, I think he kind of knows that Cleveland's lean towards Travis Hunter.
Speaker 1: Most likely he goes Sanders.
Speaker 3: Yet I'm not because this was a scenario lack last year, and people will get me crazy when I said this. I talked to a few people from the Atlanta organization and they had done extensive work on Michael Pennock Jr. And they flew out to Seattle and worked him out like the whole brash was there. And usually teams when they do that is just not part of the process, like they're really considering. And I think the thing with Shador is I think they're just trying to get to know the guy again. Now again, I don't know if they like him at number three, but maybe there's a scenario where they try to trade back in the first round. Say he gets past like pick nine or ten, maybe they try to trade back into the first round. Now New Orleans needs a quarterback, so I don't know if he'll get past nine, but I think there's a real scenario of the Giants try to get aggressive and trade back in and they also, you know, did another workout with Jaylor Miroe and Tyler Shuff just in case, I think Plan B if Shador is gone, who's some guys we can maybe target in the second and third round.
Speaker 5: Okay, we got a lot of fan questions to get to, but before we go there, I want to talk about some potential trade up trade down scenarios. This is something that we covered on Jets Overtime, our NFL mock Draft, which is going to air Saturday night, CBS Shameless Plug eleven thirty pm. You also can check that out in New York tests dot com and YouTube. My Man Dus was on the show, as was the great Brian Baldinger, Caroline Hunter, Shot and Ethan Greenberg. We're discussing all things draft. If you missed the first Jets Overtime our NFL Draft preview that you can check out on New York Jets dot com or YouTube. Okay, so one, two, three, four, I'm not even saying that. I'm saying that's so improbable that let's not even talk about that. Any scenario where any scenario there where the Jets would be like, we really like Graham, so we'd like to get up to five to Jacksonville, or you just think Jacksonville for months, as you've said, they're going there and they're not moving.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is sure bet that they take Graham just because Liam Collins the offensive coach, right, so he would probably like an offensive weapon. And I actually posted this question the other day on Twitter or x whatever you want to call it. I said, is there a scenario where Tyler Warren goes five overall? And how does that affect the Jets? Because what if their decision is between Mason Graham and our mam mimbu, which direction do they go?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Because again Liam Cohen, he's coming from Tampa Bay, and the thing that's so great about him is he's been able to kind of change his philosophy based on the personnel.
Speaker 2: Because let's not forget Chris.
Speaker 3: Godwin was having literally an all Pro year before he got hurt, and then they kind of had to switch to more of a running team at that time, and that's when Bucky Urban and Sean Tucker really came alive in that offense. And then also Kateadden once Chris got hurt Am a real benefactor of that.
Speaker 2: That the last eight games of the season and he had a career year.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, when you look at Jacksonville in the way it's currently constructed, right, they went and got Dionni Brown from the Commanders.
Speaker 2: It's a real high flyer that can go up and get the ball.
Speaker 3: Uh really played well down the stretch for the Commanders last year on their on their way to the NFC Championship Game. They also have gave Davis who was coming off an injury, who was kind of up and down last year. They have BTJ, who we know can blow the top off the defense and clearly their number one option at receiver. Let's not forget though they lost their tight end. They released him this offseason. Evan Ingram. So Britain Strange is supposed to be the guy, but what if you know, Liam Cohen says, I like that other tied end from Pennsdawn. I know they played together him in Britain Strange, but I like that other guy, you know, Tyler Warren. Let's let's let's potentially take him and give ourselves an offensive weapon man.
Speaker 1: That would be a big time curve.
Speaker 5: But okay, but in terms of the Jets, do you have those guys how we ordered the pod those four do you have them stacked really tightly together? Where is whereas you're not going up no matter what. Yeah, you're staying there at seven. We'll get to the trade down scenarios here in a second. But you're not going up no matter what.
Speaker 2: No no.
Speaker 3: I talked about this on our Jets overtime show as well. I don't think the drop off between Mason Graham and Walter Nolan is that significant. And this is a deep defensive tackle class. So like, I don't see a scenario where the Jets, you know, say Mason Graham gets past five, they're like, oh, let's trade up one spot with the Raiders to go get them, because they know they're going to get a good quality player at seven regardless that's going to be an immediate impact player for them in year one. So I just don't see a scenario where the Jets go, let's potentially move up unless a guy like a Dull Carter felt it's I think everybody in the league would be calling.
Speaker 2: I don't think he gets past picked fourth.
Speaker 1: Okay, real quickly, what if Mambo is gone to Campbell and membore gone.
Speaker 3: I mean that would be literally out of left field, like literally out of left field. Y A.
Speaker 2: But in that and this is the funny thing, I'm so glad you asked me this question because people.
Speaker 3: Are so quick to say we should trade down. You gotta have a partner that's willing to trade up for you to trade down. And usually teams only trade up mostly for quarterbacks or generational talents. And literally, to me right now, in this draft, there's probably three generational talents. It's Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter, and Asking Gent, and all three of those guys most likely will be gone by the time Jets are picking at seven.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, Genty, I'm so happy you made the transition there, because we're jumping all over the place.
Speaker 1: But this is why the draft is so much fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if the Raiders don't take Gent at six, will teams be calling the Jets at seven to take him?
Speaker 3: I think the team that picks right behind the Jets would call right away, the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 2: I think they would call in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: Now, again, this is a deep running back class, and maybe Ben Johnson feels like there's no chance to get him because there's no way he's getting past the Raiders. But if that were to happen, I guarantee Ryan Poles would be on the phone with Darrenmujie right after that pick at six. If Ashton Gentsy is still on the board at seven, it'd be interesting to see what Carolina does because yes, they just paid Trooper Hubbard, but again, Genti's a different type of talent. We talk about a generational running back, and we've saw how good Jon Robinson has been and also Jamiir Gibbs with the Detroit Lion.
Speaker 2: So I think a few teams would call.
Speaker 3: Maybe Denver calls, you know, tries to move up, but I know that team right behind the Jets at eight would definitely call.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's a similar trade.
Speaker 3: And again I don't see him getting past six, but maybe it's a similar trade that they did last year when the Minnesota Vikings just move one spot up to get JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I think that'd be fascinating if he got paid six. What's the scenario and what would moug's phone be like? You'd have to be using multiple phones in the draft room because.
Speaker 1: To your point.
Speaker 5: The way you view it is there's three game changing talents or franchise changing talents, and you're including Genti.
Speaker 1: Into the mix.
Speaker 5: And typically we don't see teams take a running back in the top ten, but this is the year where probably no anominally where you're gonna have a running back on the top.
Speaker 1: Ten, even though it's historically good class right correct.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing is they were showing some behind the scenes of the Detroit Lions brash when they took Jamaicauz. Let's not forget they traded back that year, so they were nervous that the team was gonna take him. They had him as like a top five player on their draft board, so they would have been willing to take him in like eight, but they figured, what's not, let's let's get some draft capitol because guy's gonna move up to get other players. I don't think they viewed Jamir how we view him, right, So that's the thing Ryan Poles and Ben Johnson, like, how do they like, how do they view Jenty?
Speaker 2: Is he generational like he is? In my eyes?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Are they willing to call it just and be like, yo, we'll give you a third, just to move up one spot to get this guy.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the Jets wide receiver room.
Speaker 5: We've got an alpha, you got a stud, you got a game breaking talent, and Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 1: You add Josh Reynolds in free agency.
Speaker 5: Guy's got a lot of system familiarity going back to his days in Detroit. He played in Denver last year, so he's got relationships with both Aaron Glenn and Darren Mugi and then off a lot of people thought that, hey, Allens are it's likely to be released, but he was restructured. So back you got a couple of young guys. I'm not closing the book on Melochai Corley. I think that would be fair year. You can't exactly and you got the X man coming back as well.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the wide receiver room? How much of a need is it early to draft?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a need.
Speaker 3: I think when it comes down to it, you're probably going to look to see if you can solidify your number two spot. Now, can Josh Rentals be a guy that solidifies the number two spot? Can Allen Lizards step up and be a guy that's maybe you're two or three. Another guy that's a dark horse that I really like, Tyler Johnson. I think he could be a dark horse on this on this team to be yeah in regards, because I feel like every time a team is called upon him, whether it's in Tampa, whether it's at the REMP, he's made plays. Like he just makes plays when he's called upon. So I think he can be a dark horse guy that potentially battles for like that number three, maybe for receiver spot, but every once in a while, I say, somebody gets dinged up, you can rely on him because he has a track record of making plays in his past.
Speaker 2: So I think it is our area.
Speaker 3: They'll target it in the second or third round, and I think that's really where the great value for receivers. Like people haven't been as high on this receiver class. I'm telling you right now, ea. And that's second, third round. There's gonna be some really good value and there's gonna be some guys that will be solid number two for a long time in the NFL.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game Day ready jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: That's something to keep in mind. All are you ready for some questions? Here we go. We got a bunch of let's do it.
Speaker 5: Tall Sean writes in if the Jets draft Warren, is it mandatory they drafts an offensive alignment with their second pick?
Speaker 1: Is it a choice between Xavier?
Speaker 5: If it's a choice between Xavier Watts, the Notre Dame safety of course.
Speaker 1: And right tackle five, who are you taking in?
Speaker 3: Why right tackle five might get in get in the first round. That's like Josh Cornery or Josh or Simmons from Ohio State. So depending on how you have them on your board, I think both of those guys get in the back of the first round. So now you're talking about like offensive tackle six, and I'm so glad he.
Speaker 2: Bought that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, I've been pounding the table saying safety is not even an underrat It's a major need on this team. Just the way that this roster is constructed, right, we have a lot of free safeties. I think Wats is a guy that can live in the box. I talked about Andrew mccooba on our Judge Overtime show. He's a guy I think you live in a box. I think it's interesting. I just again, it just depends on the value of your big board and where you have guys slotted right. Do you have maybe the fifth or sixth offensive tackle slated higher than the Xavier Wats does a guy like Malachi Starks does he fall to the second round? Like these are the things that you have to consider when it comes to your big board and where you want to slot guys.
Speaker 2: I think there'll be some good offensive tackles that even go in the third round.
Speaker 3: Like a guy like Ozzy Trapillo is a guy from Boston College that could potentially go in the third round, and that would be great value to get him in the third round. I know people are high on arionte Ezeri. He's probably gonna go in the second round. Yeah, exactly from Minnesota. But could he actually make that transition to right tackle. He's the thing is he's so tall. He at times he struggles with guys that play with leverage because when you're like six six, it's hard to bend right. So that's where you have to weigh the options in regards to if you do go Tyler Warren in the first round, which.
Speaker 2: Again I love Tyler Rown. I just don't see it happening.
Speaker 1: That's why. That's why you're going to the offensive line in the first round. That's correct.
Speaker 2: I would always build through the trenches before anything else.
Speaker 3: You just have to weigh where you have a guy like Watts Macouba or even Starks if he falls to the second round, compared to where you have your fifth or sixth offensive tackle.
Speaker 1: I love Starks.
Speaker 5: I will say this, maybe this is a hot take, Watts could be there in round three.
Speaker 3: That's usually the good value of safety positions is the back of the second round. Third, Like, usually the top safety is going the second round. It's rare these days for safeties unless they're just game changing to go in the first round.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like it happens, but it does.
Speaker 3: Like I think last year's first safety was Tyler Nuban, who went in the second round, where even more I think will go in the first round because he is a cyborg, He's a different type of dude.
Speaker 2: And I think Starks has a really good chance.
Speaker 3: I think the Eagles make a lot of sense to thirty two, so you could get two.
Speaker 2: Safeties going in the first round.
Speaker 3: And then there's a guy like Wats maybe slide to the middle of the second round. Does Macouba slide to the middle of second round or even third round? Like, those are the questions you have to ask yourselves because those are the probably the two next guys after those two top safeties go all.
Speaker 1: Right, So this is at Drew G three.
Speaker 5: Why is it so difficult to develop quarterbacks and evaluate them effectively? I think if anybody had the answer on that, they'd be very rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw this question last night when I was going through my Twitter, And that's the interesting thing. Like fit matters, coaching matters, right. The funny thing is, and I've talked I've stated this before e when it comes to quarterback development, a lot of times too many coaches try to make a player fit them system, it's their system, instead of really highlighting what the player does well. And that's where you get in trouble and people call people bust. But it's like, no, you drafted this dude based off what he does, but now you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to make him do something else. It doesn't add up, it doesn't make sense. So like a lot of times, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Right, going to the right place, and like sometimes I tell guys it's better not to go in the first round. You want to be like a Jalen Hurts and go in the second round and go to the right fit, a guy that's gonna get a Shane Stichen, a guy that's gonna coach you up and use your skill set specifically that way you have success.
Speaker 2: I think that's the biggest thing for Jalen Mirro.
Speaker 3: I know he got invited to Green Bay, which if you're invited to the draft a lot of times, maybe you are getting some talk that you could go first round, maybe early second. But for him, to me, I wouldn't even mind going into third if it's to the right team that's gonna develop me, because that's the most important thing ever. Plus there's an added pressure when you go in the first people assume you're going to be the savior.
Speaker 2: But when it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: Before my year in two thousand and eight, quarterbacks sat for like a year and some sat for like two or three years. It wasn't until oh wait, my class, right when we had Maddy Ice and then we had Joe Flacco. Those guys played as rookies and then now the rest of the league is like, well, that's the blueprint. No, that should not be the blueprint, because not every quarterback is created equal. Some guys need time to develop so they can have success.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's the problem with the draft I think heading into it is that everybody views these guys as finished products. The good teams are taking players that are talented, that have a very good mental skill set, but they're not finished products, and they're bringing them into their building and they're coaching them up and they're developing them at all positions. And oh, by the way, playing quarterback in the National Football League and playing quarterback at the college level, they're totally different sports. I mean, we're watching college quarterbacks a lot of times look to the sideline for the play. They're not analyzing what's happening at the line of scrimmags. They're taking the ball and a lot oftentimes you see quarterbacks that have a lot of success too.
Speaker 1: They're not asked to do too much reading. It's that first progression and just get rid of the ball. That's it. This is a different games on this level.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you brought that up, EA, and I think there's been a detriment to college quarterbacks because of that, and it's because these college coaches are nervous of losing their jobs. Right, there's a lot of half field reads, like we're gonna make it easy that way, the first or second read is open if not take off with the football, right, So as far as development, these young guys don't get that because the college coach is so worried about that guy making mistakes and potentially losing games that it could equate to them losing their job. So like they're like, it's more important for me to even if it's a gimmick offense for us to get wins than to actually develop guys for the pro game. And that's why I think there's been a drop off when it comes to a lot of these quarterbacks because a lot of times back in the day, coaches would allow players to go through their growing pains, right because if they knew that they were going to be a really good prospect down the road, and they knew they had job security, Like, if I know I'm gonna be here for minimum two or three four years, I can allow this guy in his first year to make mistakes. But now that's not the case because you know with boosters and nil like these these these teams will buy your contract out and it'll allow you and allow you to go see greener passers and bring somebody else in. So I think that's been the biggest issue when it comes to development of the college quarterback.
Speaker 2: Again, they don't get full phil reads.
Speaker 3: A lot of half field reads where like these two routes over here are dead, they're not even on, and just that guy is gonna be open. We're gonna make sure he's open based off what we see the defense do. Like you said, quarterbacks look at the sideline and the coaches in their ear saying, well, this is what they're in there in quarters defense. That flat route should be open like when he's open.
Speaker 1: Right. Another problem with the portal, and we could talk about this forever, is.
Speaker 5: That they don't even have continuity in school. So if they're playing in one system for one year, then they're going to another school, they're picking up a new system. You know, there's guys that are hard to develop, I mean, a hard to analyze in terms of your draft prop like Jackson Dart for instance. Listen, he's a wonderful athlete and he did a lot of good things at college.
Speaker 1: And I'm not taking a shot at the kid. I'm just saying using him.
Speaker 5: For example, he plays with a very good offensive signal caller in Lane Kiffin, and he's tremendously athletic. But what he did in college and what he's going to do in the NFL, it's totally different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why the Singer Bowl is important for him, because one doesn't really take snaps under center.
Speaker 2: He had to do that at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 3: And then also now instead of those half field reads I was talking about, which oh miss runs a lot of, you got to go through full progressions, right, And I actually thought he really asserted himself well at the Senior Bowl because that was his biggest question. EA, like, he's in a gimmicky offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL. So how do we really, you know, scout this guy and what's his ceiling like because he actually hasn't been asked to do this in college, Like, where is our faith level that we can teach him to read these full progressions? One thing I will tell you is he's one of the toughest quarterbacks in the in this draft. Because he was saying to take a hit and throw the ball.
Speaker 5: He's tough, he's got a big arm, he's a winner. And you're right, you know you were there, you reported on it as it was happening. That really helped his stock what he did at the senior Bawl. But you're talking about a couple of days. You're talking about a couple of days. Is he gonna go in the first round?
Speaker 2: It's crazy?
Speaker 3: Like, my thing is that if Shador goes top to I think there's a good chance that Jackson Dart does go in the first round. Like you know me, Yeah, I love him. I would be comfortable taking him in the second round. But you know this, quarterbacks get pushed up and this quarterback needy teams. And now with the conundrum with the Pittsburgh Steelers, could this be another scenario. The crazy thing is a lot of people have liken Jackson Dart to Kenny Pickett. I don't see it, but would that be interesting for them to take that Jackson Dart at twenty one after taking a guy like Kenny pick In a few years before that?
Speaker 5: Should we give him a hand on what's the comment Jets overtime? You said as far as a developmental passer. If the Jets are going to be looking at one, maybe in day two, day three, they're fine. Up top, you got justin Fields, you got Tyrod Tayler. But from a developmental perspective, you want war again.
Speaker 2: I win Jaylen Mirro.
Speaker 3: I think it makes a lot of sense, especially if he's there in the third round.
Speaker 2: But again, he got.
Speaker 3: Invited to the draft party, so like he may be going too because it's his traits out of this world. He when you talk about the athletic ability, like he is an elite athlete, like you turn on at Georgia game.
Speaker 2: He turned the LSU game and in.
Speaker 3: Both of those games, a lot of those players are going in the first round. He might've been the best player on the field that day in both of those games, which says a lot about Jayleen Mirroll.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing.
Speaker 3: His highs are very high, but his lows are low. When you go like to that Michigan game, it just wasn't good. At Oklahoma game, it just wasn't good at all. And he has a big arm. He can throw the ball down the field really well. We saw that with the freshman feet on Mayan Williams. You know, you know, blowing the top off the defense down there at Alabama. But he struggles with the layer throws and the intermediate throws, and that to me, I always give a baseball analogy like quarterback plays singles and doubles, like you got to hit the singles in doubles, like that's where you're gonna live. And he struggles with a lot of the doubles, right, So that's where he has to get better. And I sat down with the kid to combine great kid. Teammates love him, and he wants to he wants to work on this game.
Speaker 2: Like that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I asked him, Like people always ask, you know, prospects, what can you what can you.
Speaker 2: Do for us?
Speaker 3: I asked him, what do you want a team to do for you? Because I think that's important for a prospect that's going to a team, I need to know I'm going to be developed. And that was his biggest thing. He was like, he was like, coach me hard because you see something in me. He's like, I'm from a military background, I had Nick Saban. I only know how to get coached hard. He was like, that's the thing. Pour everything into me because I want to get better. And I love that answer from him, because again, people always ask what can you do for the team. But at the end of the day, we talked about this earlier, EA when it comes to potential draft bust at the quarterback position, Like, how are you developing this kid once you bring him into the building.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm uh. Gus asked, we're gonna go rapid fire right now.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 5: If the Jets straight down, how far do you think they would be prepared to drop?
Speaker 3: Again, Yeah, you gotta have a trade partner. I just don't think this is the draft where that happens. But for them to make sure they still get like a blue collar, blue chip player, I could see them not trading past pick eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, fair enough.
Speaker 5: How about a danger zone tackles on day two that we could target. How to balance needing to take a guy now versus flipping a pick into next year like we did last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we talked about this earlier. Say they take Tyler Warren, do they go off with the tackle? And on the second day, I'll give you a couple. Anthony Belton as a.
Speaker 2: Guy that I like.
Speaker 3: I think he can make the transition from NC State to right tackle if you needed them, big physical offensive tackle that for his size actually moves really well. He makes a lot of sense. I already talked about Ozzie Trapillo. He makes a lot of sense if he's there in the you know, second round, say they trade back in the second round or even in the third round. Those are two guys I think that make a lot of sense for the Jets if they were to take a tackle on Day two.
Speaker 1: Love it boy.
Speaker 5: Predict what position the Jets will take earlier, earlier than anyone is expected.
Speaker 2: Safety?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Safety, That's that's the one. I think maybe second round.
Speaker 5: Nick asks, do you think the heavy emphasis in the draft cycle has on the first round creates two great a misconception of fans mind of a talent disparity disparity between they're in subsequent rounds. Do you think the heavy emphasis in the draft cycle on the first round creates too great a misconception and fans mind the talent disparity between the first round and subsequent rounds.
Speaker 3: That's actually a really good question. I just think it depends on the draft year. So like in this year, I would say when it comes to running back, deversive tackle, nah, because like you, guys should be definitely locked into rounds like two, three, and four because there's gonna be some quality starters in those rounds, right, So, but in certain position groups for sure, Like I think there's a big drop off in the first round when it comes to corners, and corners act potentially go in the second or third round. And honestly, Ea, when you look at the corner position, it's gonna get pretty dry after midway through the third round. So I could see those guys getting pushed up just because of the lack of depth. Like there'll be some quality guys maybe like nickel guys in the fourth round, fourth, fifth round, but the quality of corner is going to drop off significantly midway through the third round.
Speaker 2: So you have to you know this year, yeah, in this draft this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good point about the position groups because when we talk about the draft, it's not the same for every position groups.
Speaker 2: Because exactly you.
Speaker 5: Were just tweeting about it before we came on that, Hey, you like some of the interior offensive linemen and to set the fourth rounds, I mean, this running back class has a lot of I mean, the tight end group goes well beyond warn this year and then correct and then the feature group of course, the defensive tackles and defensive line this year. Jim Jets, what's a long shot that no one's thinking of we could take?
Speaker 1: Could be any rounds? Good question, A long shot, I.
Speaker 3: Mean the long shot. I'll give you one in the first round. We talked about earlier age Jalen Walker. I just think he had He reminds me of a guy that the Jets had, and I know they're kicking themselves. They let walk out the door. And Carolina had and I know they're kicking themselves. They let him walk out the door. Frankie Luvu. That's what he reminds me of. An off ball linebacker that can rush on third down and could be multiple in regards to how versatile he is on defense. That's a chest piece that Aaron Glenn could use in multitude in a multitude of ways. Right, he could play on the edge. He could play off ball linebacker for especially in those three set line when we had the three linebackers in a traditional four to three. Say a team comes out in twelve personnel with two tight ends, he could be the guy on the edge as that Sam Becker and then on third down you put him outside and you maybe make Jermaine the joker inside and you have Will on the other side. I think that is kind of appeasing to a guy like Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a hell of a comparison, Frankie.
Speaker 2: That's what I saw when I saw his tape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey man, this is a lot of fun. I think we're going to try to catch up before the draft next week because we got to get.
Speaker 1: You a final mock.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. Full Jets final mock for all seven round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. Thanks