Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, welcome back to I Have Some Thoughts, a Therapy for Black Girls, minis old series where we talk about all things pop culture, but of course from a mental health lens. And I am joined today again with bria Hey, bria.
Speaker 2: Hey, doctor Joy. I'm super excited for the topics that we have this week. We have a lot of fun stuff to discuss, So first let's get into Sky University's dress code change. So to Ski University in Alabama rolls out a new dress code that people have a lot of thoughts on. Last week, President Mark Brown announced that bonnets, do rags, bedroom shoes those were banned from classrooms and the cafeterias. In the statement, he shares the policy's goal isn't to restrict anyone from enjoying the skie experience, but to prepare students for the workforce that they will encounter upon lead to speaking, I think it's kind of started this broader conversation. I think a lot of people have a lot of opinions on whether this was the right call, whether it was the wrong call, whether it's suppressing expression, all these different things. But I think the broader theme is can professionalism and cultural expression really co exist. So, in your opinion, what is the difference between maybe preparing someone for the realities of the world and asking them to change who they are to be accepted.
Speaker 1: So this is such a great tapac Bria, and I definitely have seen it all over the timelines, right, And my understanding is that this isn't necessarily like a complete change, like maybe they are kind of maybe being stricter about it, but it sounds like there has been a dress code in place for lots of years. And I've even seen some alone kind of come out and talk about like, yeah, this kind of was always the thing, right, And I am no stranger to dress code. So many of you know, I graduated from Zabor University of Louisiana, which is the only predominantly black Catholic university, and so we had nuns like live on the yard. I think some of them are still there, and so they were very strict about like our skirt length and like short length and like all of these things, right, And so I'm definitely no stranger to dress codes, even at the collegiate level. I do think there is some place to this, right, like the idea that you know there are certain things that we wear in certain situations, Like I think that that is expected, right, Like you dress differently when you're going to the club versus when you are going to a job interview, right, And so I don't think that there's anything wrong with like wanting to reinforce that on a college campus and like making sure that people understand what kinds of things are appropriate to wear when and wear. But I do think, you know, you have to be careful, and of course it's kind of bleeds into a larger conversation around respectability politics, right, Like if we dress certain ways, then you know, maybe people are less likely to discriminate against us, or maybe we are better crime to have better service, and we know actually that is not true, right, Like people can dress all kinds of ways, and if people are going to be racist of discriminatory, it's going to happen. But I do think again, like I said that there is some merit to right time, right place. Now. Sometimes you have eight o'clock am classes and you don't want to get dulled up and like do too much, right And I can definitely see that the students kind of talking about like, Okay, I don't want to have to kind of be in full glam. But I think that there is lots of gray area in between, kind of like rolling out of bed just going straight to class. And I'm not sure that this was the case right like, because it especially at HBCU campuses, at least in my experience, it was always a fashion show, right like, people weren't putting on there exactly exactly. Now, it has been quite a year since I have been, you know, a student on a campus until maybe things have changed. But I think that there are lots of ways that you can still be casual dressed down without necessarily rolling out of bed. Again, I don't know that that's the case. I don't they kids are necessarily kind of just going straight out of bed and there pajamas. But if you're an emergency, right like you rushing too a final, I could definitely see something like that happening. But I do think that there are lots of ways to be casual and not like completely dulled up in your business professional kinds of thing, and still go to class in ways that meet the dress code standards.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, And I'm coming to it from like another side of the spectrum because I actually went to Ohiose State for undergrad which is like PWS PWI can get And it's so interesting seeing these conversations. But also from my experience kind of seeing a lot of white people just roll out of bed and just come to class however, whether it was sweatpants or pajamas, like the goal was to just be there, and so it's very interesting that, like the situations are just so different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, but you do bring up a great point, right, Like if it is either like put on for real clothes or miss class, definitely don't miss class, right, Like that definitely is the priority for people to be there regardless. As long as you are looking, everything is covered, so to speak. This is completely fine.
Speaker 2: Right, So from your perspective, what impact care, respectability, politics and maybe constantly monitoring your parents have on your sense of authenticity or self expression?
Speaker 1: I feel like we kind of talked about this, maybe even related to a topic from last week. Just like the enormous amount of mental text and toll it plays on you to be constantly hyper vigilant around like appearance and kind of constantly kind of scanning an environment like is this okay? And am I doing enough? Am I doing too much? Right? Like? And I think you know, as black people, we are often put in those kinds of situations, right, And so especially for young people who are just kind of coming into their own you know, you don't necessarily want to introduce that added level of anxiety because there's so much time later in life to deal with that. And I don't think it is often invisible. It is visible kind of tax, and so people don't always realize how exhausting it is to kind of constantly be thinking about how you're perceived and all of those kinds of things. And so there is a tax, even if it isn't always visible to us. And I think that that is the largest mental health impact is that it really diminishes our bandwidth for other things when we are constantly kind of scanning and paying attention to these ideas of how I'm being perceived and you know, do I look respectable? Am I representing the black culture? Well? You know, like that it does take a toll on you after a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like this feeling that you are the representation of what black people should look like, even though that shouldn't partecularly fall on anyone's shoulders. Sorry, right, thank you for sharing that. Moving on, to our next topic. We're going to talk about how Marvel has shelf Playe and hersha Ali has spoken on it. So I think this news actually came out a couple of months ago about Marvel not moving forward with Playe. Hershal Ali, who was supposed to start in the movie as play, has finally spoken out on it as well. He shared that the project installed upon running into multiple delays and creative differences, but he also strongly believes that with the billions of dollars that Marvel has, if they wanted to make it happen, they would have made it happen. So I think that it really feels like kind of another blow when it comes to representation in the media space we only have but so many, whether it's like black superheroes or black characters in TV and film already, and brings up this larger conversation of what happens when representation just feels very conditional and not something that the studios the media companies are consistently working toward. So why can these setbacks feel especially painful after we've started to believe that meaningful change is happening and then it just gets taken away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this feels especially unfortunate because it feels like we were just giving Marvel their flowers. Lance Yea found out around about Black Panther three, right, and so this feels like the worst timing. And I do think it speaks to the larger conversations kind of happening in Hollywood on the entertainment spectrum just around the lack of investment into black and brown projects, right kind of see actors and actresses and producers talking about these kinds of things. And you know, we've had conversations on the podcast around I Think You Me and Tuscany was the latest example of this, right of oh, we got to see how well this does before we say we're going to, you know, kind of greenlight the next show or project that may be similar. And I just feel like I'm very tired of it. I know kind of black people generally are really tired of this idea that we do not support these projects because we undoubtedly come out and droves for stories that feature people from our community and our culture, right, Like, I mean millions and billions maybe even of dollars did Black Panther one and two make?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like? People, we had this whole dress code that we were, you know, wearing all white and doing all these things like we make it a real big moment. And so how much more do we have to do to show companies and media houses that these are stories that we are invested in seeing and promoting and celebrating. I think we've done our part right, Like, I think the larger conversation is why can't people who don't look like us also celebrate these films? Right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Now, of course some people do, but I think what we see is that they don't come out in droves in the same ways to support superheroes and main actors and actresses that don't look like them. Right. It's as if they can't connect to stories that don't feature like a white heroine or superhero when for years we've been asked to do that, right, Like, we've been asked to suspend us belief and just kind of see ourselves in the story, regardless of who the main character is. And so I think that that is really something for other people to continue with. But it doesn't feel good, right, It doesn't feel good. It doesn't I think booth morale or I think it also enginders like this sense of hopelessness, especially for people in the industry of the story that I'm working really hard on and is it ever going to see the light of day? So it just doesn't feel good. And I think especially right now when we are looking for so many things to kind of celebrate and make us feel good, when there's so many other things the other awful, this just feels like another blow no, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I think even it's interesting because for a lot of you know, white projects, they have this majority audience that's coming out, plus a lot of the minorities that are coming out to support these things as well. Whereas a lot of the black artists, black filmmakers, they're able to capture the core audience. But a lot of these studios are looking for what's going to be bigger. You know, we're spending money on this, we need as many adds on it as possible, And it's just not a super fair comparison. So from the viewpoint of a viewer, and then also the viewpoint of a creator, someone who's hoping to have their TV series or their film at the pick screen, how can we maintain hope and continue advocating for representation even when you know we have these drokes of lots of progress. It seems like we're taking ten steps back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've been really excited to see more the indie scene kind of continuing to develop.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So people will put a trailer out like on Instagram or TikTok or whatever, and then I love seeing the comments fill up, like where's the link? We want to support this. We got to see how this story ends, right, And I think that that is where we're going to have to lean into. Right. Of course, we can continue to advocate and continue to lobby for major studios like a Marble to kind of see our stories and invest in them, and I don't think we should stop that, but I don't want people's stories not to be told and not to be shown because we can't get the major dollars. Right. So, if you can't make the Marble version of what you want to make, is there a Kickstarter version of the show of the project that can kind of just get your feet on the ground and allow at least a part of the story to be told. I think that that is where we're really going to have to lean into, because these stories are important and they deserve to be made. But also there is an active community of people who I think want to support these kinds of things right and get really excited. We like entertainment right, like we want to see ourselves on the screen, whether it's large or small. And so I think really leaning into the community support and kind of the independent route is at least a step until we maybe can see some progress in larger places.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And as you're talking, I actually thought of one other thing that I think it's so cool how the media industry is always just evolving and doing new things. Are you familiar with it? Was who Ray Studios did like a TikTok short microdrama. Those are becoming just so popular. Like even if you're like scrolling TikTok, you might can add for like this microdrama and the story that you're kind of following. And so I think it gives us an opportunity to kind of step into these spaces while people are kind of figuring it out and telling those stories from different perspectives, because you know the post of TikTok series, it takes time, it takes effort, it takes creativity. But as far as the resources that you need, you don't need as much as you maybe would to shoot something Marvel level.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, and it's a great way, you know, to kind of get your product out there, right, like it shows proof of concept, you know. So that Hooray microdrama did really really well, right, and I mean, of course it's already has major backing, but I mean there's no reason why somebody else who is in the same space couldn't do a version of that for themselves. And then maybe you get on the radar of somebody who has deeper pockets, right for sure. But you know, Bria, the funny thing about when I saw and I don't know if PISA's the Horay Studio was the first microdrama, but it reminds me of Quibi. Do you remember Quibbi? Yeah, And so it kind of feels like that what Quibi's kind of premise was all along. So it feels like maybe they were just a little too early, because I wonder if we're going to see kind of an explosion of these micro dramas and people are really leaning into that forman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw Bravo was doing something i'ven't looked into it, but some type of microdrama or reality TV. I was like, Okay, well, we'll see how that goes. So it seems like, yeah, you're right, they might have just been a little too early because it always comes back around.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and for our last topic, we're going to enter WNBA world again. WNBA star Britney Griner has filed for divorce from her wife, Cherill Grinder, after eight years of marriage. Now, we don't have any details outside of the filing stating that the marriage was irritrievedly broken. But as many of the headlines are rolling out, I started to see a common theme in the framing of the headlines that I was love. That's on a lot of the headlines that some version of Britney Grinder has filed for divorce from Cherrell, despite Cherrell fighting for Britney's freedom while she was in the Russian prison. Now for the listeners, if you need a reminder, back in February twenty twenty two, Brittany Grinder was detained in Moscow after Russian officials found fape cartridges in her carry on luggage. She was arrested, charged with smuggling narcotic drugs and received a nine year sentence. Cherrell was extremely vocal during the ten months that Britney spent in Russia fighting for her release. But I think the thing that I kind of struggle with the framing is do we owe someone a relationship because of what they've done for us? So I love your initial thoughts on the framing and maybe your thoughts on, you know, in what ways we can feel indebted to someone and how it makes it a little harder to assess whether a relationship is healthy or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you, Ria, Like the framing of that I think is incredibly unhealthy and not fair. I think in a lot of ways, right, if you are in a committed relationship, that is the whole idea is that you are supposed to help and support one another, but that doesn't mean that you hold that over their head, right, And so of course she advocated for her wife to be released because it's her wife, right, And so that is kind of what you're supposed to do in a committed, healthy relationship, and so you know, she did I think what any of us would do. It's something similar. We're happening to a partner, But that doesn't mean that now Berty is like obligated to stay with her, right, Like I think you get into very dangerous territory, especially as women, right and you know, many women, especially in a heterosexual relationship, this idea that you owe somebody something. We know that that can lead to lots of different kinds of complications and an abuse kind of situation. This idea that I can't leave now because they did so much for me, right like, that is really messing with some danger is I think in imbalance power dynamics in a relationship, which are never healthy, right like, that is not a good setup. And so I think this does speak to larger conversations around these expectations and maybe unspoken rules that people feel like they have in relationships. And so, you know, I don't think and that's kind of what the purpose of this podcast is anyway, is right like, not to say whether one person is wrong or one person is right, but how can we think about our own relationships and this idea that we owe somebody something because they did something nice for us? Right? So, I completely agree with you. I think the framing of that, of course, is designed to make you click and see what is happening. But I think when we kind of peel back the layers, we can recognize that that is not a fair framing. Nor do we want to reinforce the idea that somebody is obligated to stay in a relationship just because sacrifices have been made on their behalf.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, And so how can the listeners, if they maybe feel like they front into something like this, how can you possess if this relationship is healthy and I'm staying in this healthy relationship? Or am I here just because I maybe feel like I owe someone something or you know, they've already done so much for me, or we've been here so long already even that you might as well just not walk away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is not an uncommon sentiment, right, like this idea that I've been with them for twenty five years? Like is this really what I want to walk away from? Is the you know, is the grass greener on the other side? And those are I think valid questions to ask yourself. So I think with the support of other people, maybe that is a trusted friend group, maybe that is a pastor maybe that is a mental health professional. Like I think, if you are questioning those kinds of things, it's good to give voice to those kinds of things with somebody who can help you peel back the layers on what you're considering now. I do think it's important to be mindful of your audience, right, So I wouldn't necessarily go to your sister in law and have this conversation because she's not likely going to be unbiased. Going to somebody who can be neutral and who can kind of hear where you're coming from, I think can be really helpful. But I think journaling can also be great for something like this. And again, I think making sure that this is not a place where somebody's gonna stumble upon it, right, Like, you don't dcessarily want your partner to kind of read this and listen until you're ready to maybe share some of these things, but just getting your thoughts out right, Like what actually am I feeling in this moment? And am I feeling like I am only in this relationship because maybe they pay for me to go to school or because the kids are not old enough, right, Like, I think there are all kinds of stories that we create for ourselves when ultimately the goal is for everybody to be happy and feeling like they are seen and valued in the relationship. And if you are not feeling that way, it is not enough. History is not enough to keep you in a situation, if you are not feeling valued, if you feel like you're being abused in any way like, there are lots of different opportunities and options for you to explore, I think, especially with the supportive person are in the confines of your journal.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely totally agree. Well, thank you, doctor Joy. This was great and that was our last topic for the week.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Thank you so much for real excellent topics as always, And if there are things happening in your circles, things that are running down your timeline, are being promoted by your algorithm that you want us to weigh in on, please send those topics you will. You can do that at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash mailbox. And until next time, take good care of yourself.