Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a Break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And so much for that.
Speaker 7: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, May eighth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number six. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break presented by LG.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 5: We got a lot of different topics we're going to get into. We'll start with a little bit of news coming out of the Star on a potential wide receiver to add to the mix. We'll also talk a little bit about Zeke Elliott and his addition to the team and what he can bring and what's still left to be done at that running back position, and really from the running back position, I want to talk about a little bigger conversation on just your thoughts on the running back position, to devalue in the running back position and how you think maybe this plays into that philosophy. We hopefully at some point in the show we'll also get into a little bit of rookie mining camp talk that starts up later this week, and we'll talk about some big picture looks at some of the things that you guys will be looking for as the rookies arrive and make their debuts here in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Texas at the Star.
Speaker 5: All right, So let's start first with Zay Jones. Cowboys bring him in for discussion.
Speaker 6: Try.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it's going to be, but he's going to be in the building if he's not already in the building. And my question for you guys, as I was looking at some of his numbers, he's a guy that has had some success, a small amount of success. You're look at this number from twenty twenty three, not great, nine games, you had thirty four catches for three hundred and twenty one yards and two touchdowns. But twenty twenty two, which was his best season, he played sixteen games, he had eighty two catches, eight hundred and twenty three yards and five touchdowns. Pretty good if you're looking at him potentially as a third wide receiver, talk to me about what you think about this potential move and how it could affect the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: So sorry, Patrick, First of all, go ahead and get Robert's son in here. Okay, So for those that don't know, this is actually Jay.
Speaker 6: Jones giving alright. No, no, not quite, not exactly.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that conversation.
Speaker 6: It sounds like it's coming, it's not quite.
Speaker 8: I mean, if Florino is in the building, so I mean the competition has already been added, so add more. All right, But no, for those that don't know, that's just a reference to the fact that Jay Jones is Robert Jones's son, which Cowboys former linebacker, former first round pick in ninety two, went on to win not one, not two, but three Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys. So a little bit of a legacy here with the Joneses and the Joneses and the Jones It's nice.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's an accidental bar. I'll take that.
Speaker 8: But what I look for in Jay Jones is to come in and compete for that seat vacated by Michael Gallup. We were talking about it before we went hot. He's not the fastest guy, but catch radius is ridiculous, something that Michael Gallup kind of became famous for, making those acrobatic catches great footwork able to kind of maneuver his body in space, great special awareness as well. I just love what he would be able to bring for the Cowboys because he's not coming into a situation where he has to compete for WR one or even WR two. Those rules are cemented between Lamb and Brandon Cooks. But he could challenge a guy like Jalen Tolward. He could challenge most certainly going to challenge the rookie and trying to make sure that the Cowboys are set at wide receiver three and wide receiver four. But I do love what he brings, and the Cowboys know exactly what was Zay Jones can do because we were there in that press box twenty twenty two when he's Jay Jones had three touchdowns one hundred and nine yards in that infamous overtime loss.
Speaker 2: Might have been his best game.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I looked at all of his numbers, but.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he certainly twenty twenty two is pretty solid season for him. He had over eight hundred yards total. Not like you know, that particular game artificially inflated his numbers because it was one hundred yard game, granted, but he also had over eight hundred yards period for that season, So strong strong get if they can get him.
Speaker 5: Brian, you had a chance to talk to some of the folks out, Yeah, Hi Jackson, what did you learn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they feel like though that the around the league, the thought about Zay Jones is the lack of speed, but they think that when you ask about the route running, they think, well, listen, you're gonna get a better route runner than what you had with Gallup, a more consistent route runner. The catch radius. Patrick mentioned all that that's a that's a real plus for him, his ability when he's coming out of East Carolina and he was a he was a good player on a poor team that East Carolina, but he was their only offense that they really had. So there was kind of hope in the league that when he would come in that he would kind of be able to carry that through. He really hasn't been able to do it all that well, so you know, hopefully you get a guy that can come in the route running. We talked about the catch radius, we talked about the experience we've you know, you can kind of go with that a little bit with him there, but yeah, he's going to be a guy that's going to compete for a spot. Is he You got to look at him. I've told you look at him as a guy that's more outside in than inside out. People always say, well, can you play slot? Can he do? And my guys were saying, no, You've got to think of him more of an outside guy. If he has to play inside that, he can do that, but it's better when you leave him on the outside.
Speaker 5: So which works here because you got Cooks and Right and Lamb who both can play inside.
Speaker 4: Right right, So you know, the body control balance, all those things are real, real plus and it's it's like I say, it's a competitive situation. As we were mentioning thoughts.
Speaker 9: I just went on the homepag Dallas. Come did you just say the word I'm gonna? I always laugh because the writers on Dallas Cowboys, Dot Calm, including Patrick and both knee Nicks, they just always try to get witty with all these headlines, you know, for the centerpiece, and.
Speaker 2: Always laugh. Some of them are dumber than the other. But it's funny.
Speaker 9: No no, no, it's great.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 4: No but a kid.
Speaker 9: They make me laugh every time.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's good.
Speaker 6: We have fun. We have fun here.
Speaker 9: It is no. But you know, it's one of those things that you always wonder when you sign a guy and you're like, okay, well sign he's not signed yet, they're still in conversations. But when you always wonder, like, okay, why if they're good, why are they're still available in free agency?
Speaker 4: But when you look at it, don't let.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why. He's the reason why he's creating No.
Speaker 9: But I mean everything you guys said, I agree, he's not the great or anything, but I think he can bring in. I like the fact that he will bring in competition. And we talk about the other guys there are in the depth chart right now, the guy that they just drafted, uh r Flower noise floor floor just makes it. Well, you look at that and you wonder, Okay, what are they thinking about these younger guys, Like where does he fit in and all of that. But to me, you know, headed into training camp, I'm like, whatever, Like, the more bodies the better you're open for competition. It hopefully makes and forces these younger players to step up their games and want to bring more to the table. So I'm excited if it does happen. For it, he seems like a solid guy. The fact that he's a veteran guy. He's been around, uh since seventeen, Drafted in seventeen, twenty.
Speaker 6: Seventeen, second round pick up the Bills in.
Speaker 9: Seventeen, so quite a while. And I like that. I'm always down for more experience in the room, so excited for it.
Speaker 8: And he's still on the right side of thirty. I mean he's twenty nine right now, so he's still on the right side of thirty. And I think and for those that would say, well, why is he a free agent, Well, he's not been a free agent long. It was just a couple of weeks ago, if that, when he was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. And he's already host or you know, taking visits with teams, Cowboys being one of them obviously, so he's not going to be on the market for long.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My question you brought up, Jalen Tobert. I think it's the big question in the room is as you look at someone like Jalen Tobert, whatever you think of what he's done to this point, the Cowboys are obviously hopeful that he's ready to take the next step and become more productive in their offense. Does making a signing like this, if they decide to do it, slow down the progress of For someone like Jalen Tolbert, who again you would expect at this point you need to start to see that that he's progressing, and will you be able to do that if there's another guy that's going to be taking those reps.
Speaker 8: I would hope from a Jalen Tobert standpoint, he would use it as motivation to make sure that the guy come in can't take his spot, can't take his reps. It's at this point it's on the player, right. So it's like you said, I'm boy, we're going into the training camp here in a couple of months, bring all the talent, bring all the bodies, and just let it sort itself out. If you're Jaalen Tobert, you need to be focused on building off of the confidence from year two. You had a fantastic year two as far as efficiency for opportunities given you've kind of, you know, become a student of the game behind Brandon Cooks and CD Lamb, and you already you know the system. Just focus on the positives. If you're jailing Tobert, say okay, well, you know what I'm going to continue to go out here and proved, because this is the front office and the coaching staff saying, look, we believe that you can do it. However, just in case we're going to bring this other guy in. If you're jailing Tobert, don't let that get in your head. Don't revert back to year one, Jalen Tobert where you were, you know, kind of ify as far as your confidence and your self confidence, walk in the power that you have established from twenty twenty three and make sure that he can't come in and take your spot. Make sure that Cavante Turpin doesn't get your make sure that Ryan RF, make sure that RF doesn't come in and take your reps. So that's how Jenaln Tolbert has to approach it. Because he's most certainly got the talent, right, it's all in how he handles all of this competition coming at him, because it's going to keep coming.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of questions about him as a player. About who about the Tooberbert. Yeah, I mean you don't sit there and draft, you know, a receiver, And no it wasn't high. But the way they talk about this kid, you know, the floor and away with I mean he was a I mean he was a guy that they really really coveted, you know when they got down to the end. I mean like he was one of those guys when you talk about the length of speed, the ability to catch the football, make plays after the catch. You know, you go out and and it's it's and then you go add a Zay Jones, a veteran player. They don't they're they're they're telling the player right there, listen, you either have to make it happen this year or you're going to be gone. I think there's a couple of guys on this team they're in that mode right now. I think Sam Williams and I think that that Tolbert of the two guys that they put a lot in. As matter of fact, they were taking right one in front of the other, and I think there's a lot of pressure on them to perform this year. There's Stephen Jones when he was talking with us on one oh five three the Fan about younger players stepping up and all that. He wasn't just talking about Mozzi Smith and these other guys that you know and Schoonmaker. He was talking about the Sam Williams who was picked in the second round. He was talking about the Jaylen Tolbert that was picked in the third round. There's times they're to the point now where these guys have to play, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't perform well in training camp. You can move on from these guys, you know, you don't. They don't have time anymore to sit there and allow two or three years for guys to develop, especially with their cap situation. You know they got rid of Michael Gallup. You know that that's cost them money right there. They're trying to fix the third receiver problem. They're throwing resources at it right now, but they're also throwing it knowing that Jalen Tolbert's on this roster and he needs to play better.
Speaker 9: That's what's crazy. When you look at the roster and everybody on this list and the question marks around everyone. You have question marks about this whole new rookie class. You have question mark about guys from last year's draft and two years ago. So it's like it's it's wild the amount of guys going since three two. I can't do math now drafts to go three drafts to go because it's one two three yeah, three years in a row. Draft classes that you have a bunch of question marks and now you're gambling em betting on this that this is going to pan out and work out this younger talent. So it's just it's crazy when you look at the amount of experience and the lack of experience per se.
Speaker 4: We've given them a lot of credit, and rightfully so, for having good drafts, but they need this this draft. Of course, the last draft is the question. The draft before this last one is in question. But the draft before that, the Sam Williams and the Tober Draft and all that that that right there in itself too. You know, they've got a couple of players out of that draft they get played, but you know, they put a lot into Sam and they put a lot into Tolbert as well. They need those guys, and you know, maybe it's going to be a time where they say, well maybe you know, they've had the last couple of drafts that haven't been great, you know, I mean, they've missed on some second round picks. Though if you look at at the corner from Kentucky, you know that that came through here and it didn't pan out. Yeah, Joseph. So you know you can't continually miss on second round picks here, you know, no team can. I'm not just talking about Dallas Cowboys. I'm talking about no teams can. You know, you got to find a way those second third round picks. You've got to find a way to make your team and make your team better if you're going to be in a situation where you have to pay your players premium money, especially your top star players.
Speaker 8: And honestly, circling back to Jayaln Tolbert, I don't know that you know, potentially adding a guy like Zay Jones should should ripple your waters any more than the fact that who's on the roster right now. Right, So they re signed Martavis Bright. They see something in Martavis Bryant. I hear nothing but good things about what the Cowboys expect him to do in training camp. We'll see if it pans out. But you got guys like him who they just recently had Tyron Billy Johnson. They brought Tyron Billy Johnson back. And then let's talk about Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: We've mentioned him a few times on this podcast. Jalen Brooks when he was given the opportunities as a first year guy last year, seventh round pick, he showed some things. He was also one of the headliners or one of the highlights I should say, consistently in training camp last season. What does the year two leap look like for Jalen Brooks. So those are guys that are already on the roster before you went and added RF because until I get his name for Illinoy, yeah, Ilinois, Ilinoid, until you before you even add him in the draft, and before you potentially add Zay Jones to the roster, there was already a ton of competition if you're Jalen Tobert for that wide receiver three spots. So at this point, if you're Jalen Tobert, doesn't matter who else you add, because there was already such a high level of competition a lot of bodies. You just know at this point you got to go forward and you got to put the pedal to the floor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think Sam Williams is a good example of of what the question is here when you start talking about somebody like like like Jalen Tolbert, because I think for these last couple of years he's had so there's been so much depth ahead of him, right, and the things that we saw from him that were a bit concerning were the kinds of mental mistakes that you don't want to see. And I think those veterans that were ahead of him probably gave the coaching staff a lot more comfort putting those veterans out there that they wouldn't make those kinds of mistakes. Well, now those guys have been moved out of the way. They are now in Washington, so and so now you've got an opportunity to move Sam Williams up and you get to see is he going to sink or swim? Is that talent going to shine through, which we've seen some of that, or all the mental mistakes going to shine through, which we've seen some of that. But I think it's the same thing for Tobert's going to be in a situation that's a little different from the standpoint he may have to actually, as you said, battle and prove his way into that third spot versus it'll just just being there because all the other guys have been moved out his way.
Speaker 4: They drafted that Marshanneeland too. Yeah, absolutely think about Sam Williams and what he's going to have to deal with with that Sam Sam Sam Williams can rush the passer, Marsham Kneeling can play the run. If if Marshaw Kneeling can play the run and rush the passer, Sam Williams is not gonna have a job. That's just I mean, they're gonna put the best. They're gonna put the guy on there that can do both. But I think Sam has the ability to be a better rusher right now than Neelan does. But the fact that they're trying, if they're trying to really shore up playing the run defense, Neelan's a better run defender than Sam Williams is and that's where that's the advantage to have. So Sam, there's a couple of guys, like to say, the receiver, Tolbert Williams, these guys they're on alert. I mean you could say depth and all these other things, but the organization is telling you right now what they think of your play, and so that needs to be first and foremost in these guys' minds.
Speaker 8: And make no mistake about it. Sam Williams, he feels the pressure, he understands it. Yeah, I was speaking to him after the home run derby of the Gliant home run Derby last Wednesday, I want to say and asked him, I said, what is what does year three have to look like for you? And basically he said, this year that's coming up is going to define the rest of my NFL career. His words so and it can words could not be more true, especially you talk about with Stephen was saying to one, O five three the fan listen to Stephen what he was saying in the post draft press conference. He was drawing a circle around Sam Williams and needing to see more from him. So if you're Sam Williams, you're feeling it.
Speaker 4: Fojoko too, by the way, Yeah, and maybe maybe Fo Hooko was drafted from a previous administration, So you know that's important right there. There's a fourth round pick that was selected and you know, had a rookie year that he wants to kind of forget being an active, being injured and all that. You know, his you know, there's no giving about what Mike Zimmer and those guys now, they'll coach this kid up, but he's got to be able to show. But there's another example of a fourth round guy that again previous regime. It might be that might be the big problem right there. But he's got to prove that he could play for this this crew right here.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our first will come back.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about Zeke Ellett, talk about the running position and our overall philosophy on the running back position, where it is and where the Cowboys place it. We'll be back, Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five gs. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's our mascot. Rowdy, cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on.
Speaker 6: His Bank of America Mobile Banking App.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 8: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 12: Every tid It's only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the Mobile Banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Message dat rags apply number FDIC.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 13: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 3: But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 7: Being a soldier to cry on?
Speaker 3: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sp sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: Back to the Break, Country Music is rocking this Star in Frisco with a free multi day fan festival ahead of the big show. Come celebrate country music's party of the year at the ACM Country Kickoff May fourteenth and fifteenth front. The Fund starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit a Cmcuntrykickoff dot com for more info.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to second segment of The Break Life from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by LG and. This segment's brought to you by Blockchain dot Com. Speaking of ACMs, next week is going to be a pretty busy week out here at the Star. The ACM Awards will be happening on Thursday. We'll have those events happening as a precursor to the awards. But also we find out last night that the NFL schedule will be released next week on Wednesday. Is what we thought it was gonna be tomorrow, right, we did it initially we did, but uh, but we got some some clarity on that it's gonna happen next Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 5: And uh, and we will have some fun goodies for you guys.
Speaker 4: For so they give you a chance to get some country performers to be involved with your videos and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll see, we got you know what we do. It'll be it'll be some interesting it'll be just.
Speaker 9: Like the biggest deal it is for teams around the NFL, like media teams around the NFL.
Speaker 4: Some of the really creative, some of them really funny. Yeah, who was it that did the cookies one year? Was that Seattle Keys? Then Seattle Bake Cookies And then it showed up as who they were playing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I don't remember who did that. I remember it though, remember there was.
Speaker 4: There were some kind of funny ones that people we were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it'll be fun. We'll we'll have we'll have some fun.
Speaker 5: We've been working on this for a few months, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: We get to release it next week.
Speaker 6: A few months, a few months tells you something.
Speaker 2: It'll it'll be out and uh, next what you're.
Speaker 4: Saying, Charlotte's been on your back for the last few months.
Speaker 5: They don't even have to be on my back. It's very trust me. By September of every year, I'm like, release is coming. It's literally just a is it bragging?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it is a yeah bragging right?
Speaker 5: Oka is a situation where you see your counterparts around the league they know and you know who got the better of whom.
Speaker 2: When it came to schedule release.
Speaker 4: Okay, So yeah, is there is there a is there an ultimate judge for this?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 4: So like like you know, like like everyone with restaurant people have Michelin Stars. Like if a restaurant gets Michelin Stars, you're known as the best. There's nothing more than nobody that says, Derek, you guys were the best today.
Speaker 5: No, everybody will judge and ultimately, ultimately we all will look at each other and will know, you know, if they got you or not.
Speaker 2: You'll know if they were better than you or not. It's it's very well.
Speaker 4: You also know if somebody didn't do a good job.
Speaker 5: Yes, you do, you just you don't want to necessarily call them out, but you know you you know, and they know that.
Speaker 2: They didn't do that good at job. They didn't really resonate. So okay, yeah, it's a it's a big dish.
Speaker 4: Can we go, like are the odds for this? Like who's going to be the best? I mean, like are the cowboys? Like? Uh, you know five to two.
Speaker 2: Were consistently among the best. I would say, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: You want to call it the one you want to do it the ones.
Speaker 9: You can let other people say that.
Speaker 2: I'm not yourself, man, I shouldn't say it.
Speaker 4: You want to call it the ones now?
Speaker 9: Will not?
Speaker 2: No, I respect all of my colleagues.
Speaker 4: If I were to you didn't do that, you walked into your So can you believe this crap? Yes?
Speaker 2: And that's what we're talking privately, not just saying you never did that.
Speaker 6: No, never, I can't believe. I'm just Kendrick Lamard. You be humble, be humble.
Speaker 5: I expect that from them. Like I said, everybody needs an amber in their life. It makes sure that you never think too highly amused. Keep amber in your life.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 9: Also float times. Yeah, but then when you get to highest I O.
Speaker 5: I think Nick would disagree with that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, guys, all right.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Zeke Kelly signed a one year deal.
Speaker 5: Do you guys, here's the blunt question I have for you on Week one of the NFL season, do you expect Zeke Kelly to be the starter at running back with this team?
Speaker 6: As we have this conversation, Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: I think it right now to yes, Yes, we're in number fifteen.
Speaker 2: All right, so you all agree that how concerned are you with that?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing, the thing that gives you hope there is hoping, as Amber likes to say, is that we'll see the upgrades at the tackle spot.
Speaker 6: We'll see the.
Speaker 4: Upgrades at potentially the center spot, thank you. Uh. We will see with the health of the right tackle. Need to see what the point of attack blocking looks like with the tight ends and camp and stuff like that. So uh, Dallas defense is committed now to trying to play better run defense. So you'll see some battles in training camp. If you see Dallas moving the ball on a defense, you're saying, oh, well, Dallas's defense might be in trouble, or Dallas's run offense looks a lot better as we're sitting there watching these practice.
Speaker 2: And we won't really know.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but there'll be some of those those padded practices where you'll do the nine on seven drills and all of a sudden they can't tackle Zeke or the backs, but you could see holes or you could see, man, they're getting crushed. You know, Neelan is crushing Ferguson at the point of attack or or you know, Steal. It's not looking very good handling tank right now. They're gonna the back is going to make a difference. But I think the upgrades with the offensive line could maybe mask some of the things that you might have to deal with. I still wish they had. People will tell you though, in this organization that watch Rico Daddle run and they say, you do see a physical back, but you do see some some shiftinginess to his game. So that's what I was trying to get, you know, Lloyd the kid from usc Ripe, Tennessee those guys, That's what I was kind of hopeful for. But now what I have, I'm more betting on the offensive line and the tight ends and see how the backs plug into.
Speaker 8: That perfectly stated, I wrote that exact thing or that exact line of thought in last week's Science Lab kind of reviewing or previewing the return of Ezekiel Elliot? What is the impact really mean for the running back position? So two things are true. One, I'm on the record and I'm still on this hill. I wish that they had grabbed a running back in this draft. I wanted them to tandem that rookie with Ezekiel Elliott and then mix Erico dalala Win to see how that three headed monster would work. They didn't get the draft pick, but they did sign Zeke, which was the other half of the thing I wanted them to do. Great, wonderful. Now for those that are saying, well, you know what are you getting from Zeke? First of all, you're getting short yardage. You're getting a guy who will instantly the best pass protector in your running backs room. You're getting a guy who already knows. The system knows your quarterback, will protect your quarterback quite literally with his life, knows your head coach, so forth, and so on. But I love what Brian pointed out because this year, and we talked about it a lot last year, it wasn't all on Tony Pollard, it wasn't all on Rico Dalo. As far as the running back struggles. They had their struggles, but there were times where the lanes just weren't there at being opened at the point of attack, and some of that, A lot of that goes to you the merry go round because of injuries and personnel swapping out. Fine, now we're in twenty twenty four. You add a guy like Tyler got In with your first round pick. Yes, he's going to have to go through the crash course. We'll see what that looks like. We want Cooper BB. I'm just going to presume Cooper BB is your starting center in week one. If you have that interior, we'll see what happens with got In hopefully still is feeling much better with that much time removed from his torn acl But look at this interior. It's Cooper BB, it's Zach Martin. It's Tyler Smith. Okay, if that trio can be as dominant as we believe they can be, then your running backs are going to get their yards because the lanes are going to be open. You're gonna blink. Zeke's going to be at the second level. Ricle is going to be at the second level. Then it's just on that running back to make moves in space. And I love that Brian brought up the elusiveness of Rico Dwell because it's there. He's not the archetype of Zeke as far as being able to get you that short yardage. We saw that last season, but we've seen that he can be the archetype of Tony Pollard.
Speaker 6: You get him in space. He's shifty, he's elusive, he can use some quickness.
Speaker 8: So I think a lot of the success, I know, a lot of the success of this current running back corps is not even going to be on the caliber of running back. It's going to be on the caliber of who's opening the lanes in front of them. And I think that with the Cowboys addressing that with Cooper BB and Tyler Goydon, I think they're on the right path.
Speaker 4: Be interesting to see what they do with Due's fun. Yeah, because there's the there's the shiftiness, there's the quickness, there's the maybe not the finish of you know, backs with like his speed. But you know, the one thing when you watched him play at can't say he had nowhere to go running the ball this past season. I mean and and and it's not his fault if he's getting hit at you know, at the line of scrimmature, behind the line of scrimmagine, but.
Speaker 6: Who is block and form at Cannas.
Speaker 4: Date, Oh well yeah they had no bb Yeah, they had had a physical offensive line. So yeah, yeah, it's going to be I think we'll be able to tell in training camp real quick. I think we'll be able to see those those drills, the nine on seven drills, the team drills. Just watching them, you know, go through. You can see if the guys are getting movement or getting that, you know, because you have to give these backs an opportunity. And I think Ezekiel It can still run the ball, uh, but you got to give him space to get It's now he's not the twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen guy, but his determination to get yards will help you if you actually block things up front.
Speaker 8: I also had this really quickly before we have an amber. There's still some juice in Ezekiel Elliott's wheels, for lack of a better way to put it in space. If you go back and you look at that play when he was with the Patriots, the seventy yard.
Speaker 6: Swing.
Speaker 8: He turned that into a seventy yard touchdown and got called back because of a penalty on one of his offenses of lineman, I believe. But that showed me that, yeah, he's not the home run hitter that he was coming out of Ohio State or in twenty sixteen or maybe even twenty seventeen. But I think that that type of you know, play is still in the back pocket for McCarthy to pull out every once in a while to say, hey, you think that he can only do the dirty work. You catch him outside one of those swing routes and he, you know, takes it deep. I just wanted to put that out there for those that are wondering, is he only short yards? Yeah, he's still got a little bit of pep in his step.
Speaker 4: I wish they would steal the San Francisco forty nine ers passing game to backs. You know what I'm saying, It just seems like, and I get it, McCaffrey and those guys are rare. I get it. They know how to play in space or liman, know how to get out in space and stuff like that. But man, just if you could just throw him the ball. I mean, this guy can catch the ball well and then get up. You know, when you throw it on him, he could run it. He could be tough to bring down in the open field one on one ringbacks don't want to deal with him because he's willing to put his shoulder through somebody if he has to. So, you know, if they could just steal some throw some plays of throwing the ball to backs, and I would appreciate that a lot watching them play. I think it would be something that would be beneficial to them.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think something that we saw last year with Tony Polor was his lack of ability to find the holes. And I know that goes into what the old line is doing and how much they're helping you. That's the biggest thing in that. But at the same time, I remember a lot of different plays where he just really figure out where to go exactly.
Speaker 4: The indecisiveness is yeah, and you're right, because what happens is if they don't block it clean. You know, the one thing about Zeke back in the day was if you put a full back in front of him and you make Zeke have to decide because the back, the full back is not sure who he's blocking, that slows up the back and Tony did. I mean, there wasn't great blocking, but the indecisiveness. I think it's a big part of his struggles last year.
Speaker 9: And I think we've seen plays when Zeke was still here that last year. I remember seeing certain plays where it would happen to him as well, but more often than not he would find those little gaps and holes and push for those short yardish type of situations. So I'm super excited. I'm super happy. I absolutely love Zeke. I love everything about him, and I can't wait to see him here. I don't think he's over. Even with the Patriots, he had a pretty decent time over there. He played like what like five games or so, still got close to a thousand yards, and that's also part of that was in receiving, So I think six hundred and something rushing and then the rest was receiving. Yards. So he still has stuff to bring to the table, and I can't wait to see him. Clearly, he was missed last year and we saw that.
Speaker 4: I will say this though, too, I will say they've got all these fives. If we get to Oxnard and it doesn't look clean for all these guys, I'm getting on the phone and I'm gonna I'm gonna move. I'm gonna make a I'm gonna make a deal like I made for I give up a one for like what you did for a Mark Cooper. But I'm yeah, I'm giving up one of these compensatory fives. Maybe you have to overpay a little bit to go get somebody that that could fit what you're trying to do. You can't go into the season struggle and running the football. You just can't.
Speaker 2: I did did here.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you guys heard it too, Jerry said during one of the press conferences after the draft. He said, I've seen teams win Super Bowls with running backs that they picked up.
Speaker 6: During the season.
Speaker 5: During that season, and so I think in the back of their minds they're looking at it like, Okay, we're gonna throw some different options at this. We're going to see how we go. And again, to me, I think it's really that bigger perspective I mentioned earlier. I think they are I think they are taking the the yeah, but I think they're taking the opinion that if you've got all these positions, you have to address the one you can patch up the easiest is running back. So let's make sure we get the linebacker. Let's make sure we get the defensive tackle of the defensive end. Let's make sure we get a defensive tackle. They're looking at all these others in the draft, and I think when it came running back, they felt like, hey, this is an area where you look at the NFL teams have success with backup caliber running backs, with running backs that aren't the complete package, that running backs that aren't highest paid running backs in the league, they can still find success in there. And I think that's the position that they've taken.
Speaker 2: We'll see if it works.
Speaker 4: They valued in this draft stopping the run more than they did running the ball. In this way, I whan it's came to I mean, you look at with Cooper BB and stuff like that, that that helps you with the running part. But then it came down to, Okay, we've got to stop the run too, and so then you get the linebacker, you get the you know, in the second round.
Speaker 2: So and it's hard to find in their mind, it's harder to find a linebacker a running back exactly right, exactly yeah, And.
Speaker 5: So I think that's the part where it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for the Cowboys because this is a little different approach than what they've taken to this point. A team that's been throughout his history always had very, very high profile and successful running backs. We'll see how this approach works. We're going to take our final break. We'll come back. I want to talk a little bit about the rookie Minnie camp that's coming up, some of the guys that you guys expect to see out here, and we'll have a couple questions for you guys on this rookie class.
Speaker 2: We'll be back, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil change a proud partner of a Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a Playmaker.
Speaker 4: Your order will.
Speaker 12: Include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deer Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break, Oh, I have a read.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here thinking about thinking Senior moment can Kenny Chesney's bringing His Son Goes Down twenty twenty four tour with Zach Brown Band and special guests. Morgan, Maroney and Uncle Cracker to AT and T Stadium on May eleventh. Tickets are on sale now at SeatGeek dot com, the official Tickney partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back File Segment.
Speaker 5: SWVC Morgan Studios at the Stars, We're brought to you by LG. Let's talk about the Rookie Minni camp. Obviously, the guys will start arriving I think as early as.
Speaker 2: Today maybe someone.
Speaker 5: But the actually the time that they will spend to you guys will get with them. I want some private time on Thursday, but Friday and Saturday the rest of the meeting will have an opportunity to be able to meet with them. As we start getting into these practices, obviously there's not a lot going on.
Speaker 4: I miss the Jason Garrett practices where he made Des Bryant throw it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it used to be a challenge of Will's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What what do you guys look for when you out here watching this? Is there anything that you look at like? I just want to see this when I when I get a chance to actually see them in person, I think.
Speaker 4: The thing that I always look for is where are they thinking about lining these guys up, Okay, figure out, Okay, where did they see Marshaan Neeland? Where do they see uh, you know Maris. Where do they see the you know the Bbie in center guard where you.
Speaker 2: Just what the initial thoughts, the initial thought, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are they running with it? You know, probably most of them are going to be running with second or third team guys initially. I mean it's by themselves, right, so so it'll be the rookies by themselves. But you'll probably be in a situation where you're see like where they have an idea of that. And I when they do kind of move guys around, like you know with Kaitlin Carson the corner, I'm interested in seeing like his movement skills, like if they do him running through drills, the feet look quick, his ability to turn. You know, these guys probably are not in great shape when after these camps over, after all that, everybody gets to go home and these guys have to stay. Yeah, and then that's where you kind of that's where these guys get back into football shape. Emandy Johnson's a free agent that they got undrafted free agents, a safety that I'm really excited about because I saw him play at Nevada and he's a guy that probably should have been drafted. So I'm kind of interested in some of these undrafted guys and then and then where they're going to line up the guys that were drafted. That's that's what's always fascinating to me.
Speaker 8: And in great points as far as because it is walkthroughs basically, so the most we can take away from the media portion is where they line this player up versus that player and how they're you know, rotating him. So, like you said, when you talk about Cooper Bebe, is he already starting out as a center or are they trying him at guard first and then kind of moving from there. But I'm also right there with Brian as well. So first I'll say this, I'm also looking at the players, the rookies' physical stature, like what kind of shape are they showing up for, right, because that's going to be key because obviously not necessarily a red flag on any of these rookies the Cowboys have, but there were some prospects going into the draft where you know, red flag was that, oh, well, they put on too much weight or they're gaining weight at the wrong time. Just want to see these guys come in in shape. Want to see them come in ready to learn, ready to go.
Speaker 6: And I'm really, like.
Speaker 8: I was saying about Brian's point, I'm really looking at these undrafted free agents because I'm wondering because the Cowboys typically do well in undrafted free agency. So I'm trying to figure out effect of this weekend, who will stand out the most in the pool of twelve to thirteen undrafted free agents?
Speaker 6: Who can make some waves.
Speaker 8: Can Nathaniel Pete, the loaned running back that was signed an undraft free agency? Can he make a little bit of waves make things hard for someone like Snoop Connor, Royce Freeman, maybe Milie Davis, we don't know yet, maybe Ducevon we'll see. But then Jason Johnson, He's a good one. Denzel Dockson is one that I'm looking at out of Illinois. We are keyed in on this defensive tackle situation. I think the Cowboys are still open to bringing in the veteran in free agency. I've said that, but when you look at what they got in Justin Rodgers seventh round pick. Still need some polish, but Justin Rogers versus Denzel Dockson, you got two big defensive tackles that are gonna put themselves on the field this weekend. So just interested to see things like that, and for me, really above all, I want to see if any of these undrafted rookies can really start to stand out quickly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'll be honest, personally, I don't get as much as like what happens on the field, like you know, to me, I prefer I love mini camp actual mini camp born. You get to see the veterans blended with the rookies, can see the rookies body type, how they kind of fit in and look merged with the veterans. So that's my favorite part. But from this session rookie mini caamp, what I like the most honestly is when we get the chance to talk to them and meet them and hear them. And that's what do I like, You do I not, you know, That's what it's for me to get the vibe more often they're not than not they're.
Speaker 2: They're always exactly you know.
Speaker 9: But that's that's my favorite part of this weekend is just getting their vibes. And usually they're always very very happy, you know, they just got drafted by the Cowboys or signed by the Cowboys and they're here and they're usually with a great attitude. But it's that's my favorite part. And now I've changed my tune on a lot of things, and I probably come off as a very judgy person on this show and I'm not. This is just no, this is just about football and stuff. But stop, I am not. Oh my gosh. Anyways, but again, I tell this story and I love it because when I first met throw On Bland and I've said this on the show before, it was Rucky minicamp and we got to talk to him and I got to talk to him one and one and he was so shy and such a baby face. I'm just like, I hate saying this, but in my head, I'm like, Okay, what is this guy gonna do?
Speaker 6: Like on the field?
Speaker 9: Boy did he proved my judgmental here has been absolutely amazing. But it's one of those things that it's it's just fun to get to know the player and.
Speaker 8: You know who's probably gonna throw off a little bit in that capacity. And I know we talk a lot about Cooper Bebe, but it's justifiable. But his demeanor, like off the field, he's kind of like Jovia he's smoking with jovial, the innocent smile, but they're looking his eyes. There's a killer in those eyes, man, And when the ball gets after he is just something different. But yeah, that's a good point. I mean, and I do love when mini camp does roll around. That's when it's really going to start to hit home for these rookies. Like right now, they're going to come in this weekend and it's you know, they're riding high and they're ampt and they're.
Speaker 6: Ready to go.
Speaker 8: When the veterans start coming in and they start commingling with veterans and the standard starts to get set, that's really when you start to be able to tell who's going to start to kind of pull away from the rest of the rookie back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Part of that is you start realizing there are no free reps in the NFL. Right in college there are a lot of guys that are going to be selling insurance once they're done playing college football. Everybody out here is a baller, and I know people give them a hard time with your third string whatever, but they're a professional and there's a reason why they're professional. So there are no easy wins out here on the NFL football.
Speaker 6: Field, and you were brought in to take their job exactly.
Speaker 2: So it is a challenge.
Speaker 5: Definitely is a challenge mentally and physically. All Right, we appreciate you guys, you doing it. We'll be back next week. We'll tell you what happened at the mini camp, if there is anything that came out of the mini camp, and then we'll also get into some other topics.
Speaker 2: We'll actually start a little bit of a review here the next week.
Speaker 5: We only have I think four more episodes before we take our little hiatus for the summer.
Speaker 2: Amber's excited, and so.
Speaker 5: We'll get into a little bit of a bigger picture to look at a lot of different positions around this team and kind of can set you guys up what training camp will look like. Till then, for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us an Ama Garcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.