Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell.
Speaker 2: That for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo state is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid rebel boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. That fine gentleman over there, the one, the only, always, the incomparable Dan Rubinstein. You will hear his voice momentarily. This is an excerpt from College Football Thursdays. It's the show we do live on Spotify every Thursday evening at five pm East two pm West. On today's excerpt, you're going to hear Tye versus the World. It is a game we like to play where I give five picks against the spread. We invite five others from the audience up onto the virtual stage to give five picks that represent the world. At the end of the week we add up the results. Right now, winning percentage is exactly sixty percent. We're trying to get that as high as possible. So fingers crossed that week seven treats me well, hope you'll stop by next Thursday, five pebs, two pm West Live on Spotify. Here's Tie versus the World. Enjoy your week seven Tie versus the World, Steve Time versus the World. All right, Dan, are you ready? Are you ready? Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Of course? I am all right.
Speaker 2: Well, I kind of gave away the game a little bit here with the first two. But Penn State plus seven at Michigan, Oklahoma minus nine at home against Kansas first two picks. Here's my thing with Penn State. I am horribly biased. Of course, I am horribly biased. This is one of those games. On some level, I am trying to speak this result into existence. Of any of the five games that I'm going to give you here, that is the one that you should bet the least amount of your actual hard earned American kishon Okay, because it is mostly a heart overhead type of scenario. I believe Penn State is good enough to win that game. I believe eventually, at some point there will be a team that forces JJ McCarthy into a scenario that he has yet to face, and that is the running game around him is not nearly as effective and he has to win it on his own right. I don't know. I want to believe is a Penn State grad is a Penn State fan that Penn State is good enough to be that team. I want to believe that. I can't say that with confidence, but I do know big road spot. Penn State's been playing pretty well. This is a big game for them. They will be up for it. I believe they will keep this one close enough to at least cover that seven point spread. So my first pick here is Penn State plus to seven.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough.
Speaker 2: My next pick is Oklahoma minus nine. I will try to find a way to minus nine. I will try to find a way to sugarcoat this as best I can, because I love the Kansas story. Kansas is going to be starting Jason Bean. The last I saw Jalen Daniels, he of injury last week. To you know, varying degrees with severity depending who you believe on Twitter, HM, Jalen Daniels seems unlikely to play, which means we get Jason being Jason Bean was good last week. I am not a Kansas believer. I am a believer in the Kansas story. I want to root on the Jayhawks. I am not a Kansas believer. I believe Oklahoma State is tremendously undervalued in this matchup for a couple reasons. First off, obviously, just look at the optics of losing forty nine to nil against your biggest rival. That doesn't look good. People don't feel good about you if you lose by a healthy margin such as that. If you look embarrassingly poor against your hated rival, no no one wants to bet on you. That's just the way it is. The defense has looked really bad in Kansas has a good offense. I understand why people would want to go Kansas, but I don't believe Oklahoma is quite as bad as we saw last week. I also think it bears mentioning they without Dylan Gabriel for two games now, and you get him back this week at home against Kansas. I think they've got a point to prove and they're going to try and score as many points as humanly possible. This is not a good Kansas defense. All it's going to take for Oklahoma is one or two additional stops in order to get enough cover here to win this one going away. So I'm on the Sooners minus snide at home.
Speaker 1: Counterpoint, I think they tried last week and the week before that, and the week with Dylan Gabriel to score as many points as humanly possible and didn't. I couldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying against me at your own perils.
Speaker 1: So what are they doing? Are they running the hell out of the ball? You think Dylan Gabriel is going to throw for a bajillion yards? Do you think they're just going to both both just huddle up and be like, guys, let's get it together, and they do.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, all of the above, All right. Pick number three Arkansas now a pick'em over BYU kJ Jefferson's back. Arkansas needs this one badly. They need this one badly. I believe they will. They will be able to run the ball with Raheem Sanders and with kJ Jefferson, and that, from what I've seen on the BYU front, is a pretty successful formula to win. I like the fact that it's a pick them, although I was going to take Arkansas even they were when they were favored by a point and a half. So for me, yeah, for me, this one is sort of a no brainer. I've got some my own money on this one. I really like the hogs.
Speaker 1: Here disrespecting mountains again again.
Speaker 2: You know, I like mountains, though worries.
Speaker 1: No, you don't, No, you don't. You're taking the sea level team. I have no idea where Fayettella is at sea level, but you are taking this team definitely closer to sea level in Arkansas than BYU at altitude. They know this did come down. You're right. I understand why.
Speaker 2: They need this win. They need this win more than any team on this list. Arkansas, they need this win.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: North Carolina minus seven at Duke. I'm also not a Duke believer. I'm not a Duke believer. I believe Duke's better. I don't believe they're good enough to hang to score with North Carolina. I know it's a rivalry, I don't care. I think North Carolina is the better offense, the better team, and I think by the time all is said and done, we will probably be talking about North Carolina the way we talk about Kansas now, the way everybody thinks Kansas and their offense is legit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think North Carolina will be the rich man's version of that come December, when, of course we know all things college football. North Carolina minus seven on the road at Duke. Now, North Carolina in a letdown spot. I don't believe they've fully cured their defensive woes because Tyler Van Dyke threw for like five hundred yards against them last week. So if there were ever a team where Sunday morning, you're gonna go, oh right, that thing that we saw weekend and week out came back, it might be North Carolina's defense leading the way to a duke win in a rivalry spot at home.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Okay, we'll see Clayton by the way in the Chad, thank you Clayton for half of my back here, says North Carolina by thirty final pick here, and then we're turning it over to the world. Yes, Wisconsin minus seven and a half at Michigan State.
Speaker 1: Oh ye consin minus seven and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was on Wisconsin last week minus ten against Northwestern. By the way, I'm picking all like road teams again with the exception of Oklahoma, which I hate doing, but it keeps working out this way and I'm winning, so I'm going to keep doing what works. I just I'll come back to what I said earlier in the show. I think these teams are going in opposite directions, and I know it hasn't all been gravy for Wisconsin, right Obviously, they fired Paul Christ of course, last week was a net crack game for him. Last week was the kind of game that they needed to have success through the air to put up a bunch of points to build some momentum for the back half of the season. That is exactly what they needed Michigan State. I have no understanding for where that team is headed right now, because it seems a lot of what we thought might go well in the preseason has collapsed. The defense hasn't gotten better, they haven't gotten lyft from any of the transfers that they brought over, at least not enough of a lift to get this team to some higher level of efficiency. I know that there are young guys playing all across the board here along both lines and whatnot. I get all that, but I just I don't think that the feel good story of building under Meltucker for twenty twenty three is enough to sideline a Wisconsin team that I still believe has a lot to play for. So maybe not so much in terms of like a Big Ten championship, but definitely when it comes to trying to build for who you think your new coach is going to be who everybody thinks the new coach is going to be in Jim Leonard, I really like Wisconsin going away here.
Speaker 1: Sounds to me like you're saying double netcrack right to that's of Northwestern and Michigan State back to back is a nice way to sort of get into the second half of the season, which, by the way, when you look at Wisconsin's schedule, this is what we're looking at back half for Jim Leonard in his interim status with ie out presume read it out. So it's at Michigan State winnable. Purdue at home I think difficult, but ultimately like that could be a toss up because Purdue sort of is all over the place in terms of how they finish games as we saw last week and how we saw the Syracuse game end Maryland, who I think is quality, But I think that's winnable if Wisconsin is able to get back on track at Iowa. I mean another toss up like first to fourteen wins that game, Nebraska atop the Big Ten West, But I'm not a big believer when a team that needs to come back against Rutgers and Minnesota. Another like weird week to week toss up as soon as they start playing weird excuse me, as soon as they start playing real teams. So if Wisconsin they're not going to get their together, they're not going to look like the Wisconsin of old. But if they're merely competitive and merely not making mistakes, and even if they're a pickleball team in that they have to sort of dink and doink down the field and aren't generating explosive plays anymore often, these are all relatively winnable games. Now I come into this with the baggage of like, oh, of course Wisconsin has more All American linebackers, and of course Wisconsin has an efficient quarterback who's getting it to an All American caliber tight end. That's not the situation in Wisconsin right now. This is a new look Wisconsin team, not necessarily in a good way. But if they're merely a B minus Big Ten team, they can win a lot of these late just staying close, just hanging around, drafting behind the opportunity truck. I don't think they will win a majority of these games. I think it's probably going to be a split, Like they'll beat Nebraska and Iowa and Maryland but lose to Purdue in Minnesota or something like that. But I think there's potential for them to at least get their act together and be a little bit more creative in the way that they move the ball.
Speaker 2: Five picks this week, again, just to rehash, we've got Penn State plus seven, Oklahoma minus nine, the Arkansas pick'em, North Carolina minus seven, and the rivalry against Duke and Wisconsin minus seven and a half. On the road in East Lansing last week, I went three to one and one. My overall record is seventeen eleven and two, which puts me right at sixty percent winning percentage.
Speaker 1: You hear that, ladies,