Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a urmanol and gay.
Speaker 4: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 1: Do you wanna.
Speaker 5: Welcome you back home?
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it?
Speaker 6: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Malcorn?
Speaker 6: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need ride.
Speaker 1: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 4: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 1: Hello, Karen Kilgarriff. That is how you say your name.
Speaker 4: Stop making fun of me.
Speaker 7: A lot of people come up to me and they say, kill gariff. What the hell's up with that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: A lot of people?
Speaker 8: How many people do they go fifteen people at once if there's.
Speaker 1: A problem in their town? Do they go see the local shriff? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: I mean, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: I get furious with them right away when they mess you should.
Speaker 4: Please attack them in the face area.
Speaker 8: If they mispronounce me in your honor, I yell as I punch in.
Speaker 4: K'sn How are you doing these days.
Speaker 7: I'm doing great. I've I've been, you know, golfing a lot. I got a package today, by the way from oh yeah and Lauren Cannon, who works for the forty nine ers, And I'll show you mine first.
Speaker 1: It's got it's a jersey with my name on it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, at jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a real one.
Speaker 4: You've always loved the Niner.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I don't follow football or care about it, but I'm amazing at throwing a football. I enjoy throwing spirals and and and another box came to and look whose name is on this one?
Speaker 4: Kill Griff, Yeah, kil Griff.
Speaker 1: It says kill Griff on it.
Speaker 5: I'm thrilled.
Speaker 4: You know what, that is actually going to go over big in my family.
Speaker 8: Because I know for spy area, right represent if for no other reason just to show it to your dad and like check it out, fuck nuts, that literally scared me. There's just I don't know where it came from.
Speaker 7: I think I was channeling an old Jimmy Pardo joke this sun where he gets a check and he shows it to Danielle and he's like, look at that, fuck nuts, time to start carrying your weight. That's a Jimmy Pardo joke and it entered my brain.
Speaker 5: Oh I love it.
Speaker 7: You said you had a story before we bring our guests back. Do you still want Yes, it's going to go quickly.
Speaker 8: But my dog, George is a part lab, part hound, and she is very neurotic.
Speaker 4: She's got some problems. And one of the things can you see her, uh huh.
Speaker 8: One of the things that she does and always has done, even at my old house, she loves to dig a hole. And not just like a little hole like you imagine a dog digging at the other house, she dug a hole under my patio cement where her entire body would disappear. She was like tunneling under the patio. And we call it the project because she just won't stop doing it, and I kind of don't try to get her to stop. Yeah, So we moved, of course, move in to a new house. She picks a new project, and she's been digging behind this tree. I've lived here for two years and she's she won't I can't get her stop, and I'll catch her and try to be me into her, but I never actually disciplined these dogs in any way, and so she's just been so I told I have a lady that's re landscaping in my backyard because there's all this shit that's dead and I have to redo it. And so I was like, and this tree, I think my dog is either killing or like has killed, Like this tree is in crisis because my dog won't stop digging.
Speaker 7: Or maybe that's why digging is happening because she knows there's like root rod or something.
Speaker 8: No listen to this, but good guess, because listen to this. The landscaping lady brought a tree expert, and the tree expert told she she like stuck her head in my house and goes, Caroen, I have to tell you something.
Speaker 4: She was laughing her ass off. The tree expert goes, this.
Speaker 8: Tree is too tall to be built in this area because it's like there's a you know, there's almost like a patio ceiling near it that's keeping it low. He goes, they actually planted it buried way too high on the root system. So the tree has been choking to death slowly, and your dog digging behind it has air rated the root system. And your dog brought this tree back to life by digging this hole. All right, So what I've been yelling at her for tree.
Speaker 7: Scream at some frequency that only dogs recognize, and they're asking for help.
Speaker 8: And she's like an emt, a tree emt, where she's like, let the first of all, check out these nails. You haven't trimmed in two years. Let me get back there and do this tree a favor. And literally, he goes, your dog has saved this tree, and you should get her to do it around the front because that would completely grow and be green all the time.
Speaker 4: How insane is that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it'd be funny if she was like and it was done with such surgical persons decision that I refuse to believe your dog wasn't in a past life.
Speaker 1: Some ar brist.
Speaker 5: Every arbor day, George gets very formal.
Speaker 1: Loots right, it's on that one hind leg and salutes.
Speaker 8: I would, yeah, I would say that my dog, George's passion is trees, and I guess.
Speaker 4: It always has been. And I just didn't see her as who she was.
Speaker 1: That is the best, Yeah, saving the day.
Speaker 4: I think, don't you think we should introduce our guests now that we tho it's perfect?
Speaker 7: That really was great, by the way, and it came to a nice conclusion and I just kind of dropped the ball.
Speaker 1: I couldn't think.
Speaker 4: Of a well I knew.
Speaker 7: I know two other people that are growing healthily in the podcasting comedy scene.
Speaker 9: Our guests today, Yes, yeah, they both are getting holding deals at CBS, but we'll talk about it.
Speaker 8: They are the hosts of the new podcast as Truth Hounds. Please welcome Kyle Mazzono and Anna Sarah Gina Yay Hi, thanks for having us. Hi, Hi guys, Hi, guys.
Speaker 4: What a journey.
Speaker 1: Anne are you? Are you still my neighbor? No, you moved.
Speaker 5: I moved.
Speaker 1: Where the hell did you go?
Speaker 5: Okay, I left you. I go leave him alone, leave him behind.
Speaker 1: She was always hanging out near my garage.
Speaker 5: I'm always hanging on your Chris's garage from loitering.
Speaker 1: Loitering, walking by, going to work and things.
Speaker 5: One time I ran into you. I really, sincerely had not seen a person in a really long time.
Speaker 1: Neither I remember this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took a chance. My thesis for today is, don't take a chance. I took a chance. I go something so weird happened. I have to tell someone again. Hadn't seen Chris since the pandemic had begun. You know, always very excited to see Chris. It's not anything about that, but I go, Chris, I haven't seen you in quite some time. Give ten to fifteen minutes for a quick story of something.
Speaker 1: Neighbor. What was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can you tell it again?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: The story, I mean, boy, howdy, the story is not very good. But basically, right before I moved from my apartment, And is that okay to say? Yeah, where it was your neighbor?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, get me coming.
Speaker 5: Okay, Right before I moved from my house, this neighbor had just moved in and she was a replacement to a neighbor who had given me such grief for so long. He was a guy who rocked, and by that I mean we both lived in studio apartments, and he would he would plug into an amp and play like Blackbird for no exaggeration, seven hours, just just the beginning of Blackbird for about seven hours. One time he played the little remade theme song, you know, just one time he played an apple ringtone, So anyway, this isn't a damn Rocks. And one time I finally told him to turn it down and he goes, do you know who I had in here? The other week? Billy gibbons from zz Top. So anyway, so that guy moved. I was so happy. I was over the moon because this guy.
Speaker 8: Wait, sorry, how did you Yeah exactly, but also how did you come back from that devastating rejoinder?
Speaker 5: Like one of you asked, I said, I paused, I swallowed really hard. I thought about how this is my moment to shine, and I go, you know what, I'm sure all of us has has had somebody very impressive in our apartments throughout the years, but it's really not about that right now.
Speaker 8: Like a you're like a grammar school principle just handling shit in and I'm mature fashion.
Speaker 5: I've been dreaming about handling it with this guy. I mean, this guy he's like would wear a tiny vest. I heard him say one time. I would hear him bring tinder dates over all the time. And we lived right.
Speaker 6: On I think that's okay to say at this point.
Speaker 5: And he would bring tender dates over all the time. And I heard him say the same thing to every tender date, which is the place isn't that big because it's a studio. He'd go, the place isn't really that big, but and then he'd open the front door show the tender date the lake and go but this is my living room.
Speaker 10: Oh what a York.
Speaker 1: And then he'd go right into Blackbird.
Speaker 5: And they were looking at seven to eight hours of blackbirds.
Speaker 1: So he left and you got the place. Was it better or worse?
Speaker 5: So he leaves, and I'm like, this is gonna be Whoever this is is an angel, I'm going to give them a gift basket just but just because they're them, and it is and I should be happy, and I should, I should be really really happy. And it's it looks like a it's like a woman in her thirties and she has a Vans. She has Vans tapestry on her wall. So I go, Okay, she rocks, but in a way that you know that I can really get behind. She rocks on my terms. Yeah, yeah, imagine my surprise in dismay. And I don't even I feel like I can't even complain about this because the guy was so bad. But the thing about her is that she has all these succulents. I don't hate it yet. I think that's fine. She has like, I don't know, ten to fifteen small succulents. And I can't explain this to you, but she rearranges them like three times a day in a way that is so jarring where I'm like, what is going on here? Because in the morning there arranged in one way, I know, because one's a little pot of an elephant. It's facing let's say west. When I come back home three hours later, the elephants turned around. It's compatriots are crowded around him in a different way. She just rearranges these succulents like for no reason, three to four times a day, and it's so weird, And it's like only I would notice, you know, because I'm her next door neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, chasing or avoiding the sun, I.
Speaker 5: Think she I think she add I think she was doing meth. It turned out afterward, yes, yeah, in.
Speaker 1: The past life, she just knows she can hear the plants screaming. She used to exactly like she's trying to make her happy.
Speaker 4: Wait, but it turns out she was on meth.
Speaker 8: Because I have a friend who I had a similar experience where I went to their house and everyone suspected that the people that lived in the house were all kind of secretly doing meth. And we got there and the whole front of the house was like decorated with sparkly shit, but not like it wasn't like, oh, they went and bought one bag of some decoration. It was like a bottle was hung here and a bottle cap was over there. It was like I walked in, I was like, they're all on so much myth. Like, yes, that's what happens is these little projects and these things become important that it's like this is going to look beautiful and it's like you're hanging Budweiser bottles from a tree exactly.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, this is not like George's special project of framing the Screaming Tree. This is like, this is like I have a vision. I have a seven am, four am, twelve am vision, and it's succulent vision.
Speaker 7: It makes it makes myth seem like less of a problem in society when all it does is make you craft.
Speaker 1: You know, go.
Speaker 8: Craft power that you craft, because that's violence, Like it's you can't just keep doing it at these hours where everyone else in humanity is, if not sleeping, resting.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and I'm trying to get my rest in from the years that I was living next to This is easy top, No, it's amazing. So I hadn't seen a person in a while, Chris, and I had to. You know, I gave him basically what I just gave here. I gave the breakdown. I gave the past neighbor.
Speaker 1: I was in the car.
Speaker 7: You asked me to get out of the car. You motioned for me to get out so I can hear this story.
Speaker 5: Should I park down the block, I go keep her running?
Speaker 8: That sounds like a great especially if you both hadn't seen this was like deep in the beginning of car This was.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, it was just like a year in. Yeah, it was mid mid core.
Speaker 5: Pre seeing people again.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 7: I've been seeing people occasionally and I Karen and I were talking about this.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I have to stop you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you are you not going to give the other side of what that was, what that experience was like with Anna.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, of course, I can't believe I've forgotten you.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm just saying it sounds like she was trying to tell you about somebody. Was Was she the one that seemed like she was on.
Speaker 7: Medt the storytelling of it. There was a lot more passion at the time because it had just happened she had just seen her rearranging them and the tweet that morning. It was an especially tweaky rearrangement. She was really yacked out on the on the rowdy powder and she'd smoked out of a light bulb, I think, you said. And then so she was laughing while telling it because it had just happened. So it's it's hard to retell those story in the moment at the time it was fresh.
Speaker 5: So I go alad and seeing another person, then I accost you and I tell you this kind of beautiful.
Speaker 7: I loved it. It was it was one of the better interactions. So it's like, finally I went to a party, I said, as you walked away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what we were.
Speaker 7: And I kept saying, we're going to appreciate it so much when we're at parties. We're going to go to And I had a show last night. It was outdoors, but uh, and I was I was just right back to judging the audience for not laughing. I'm right back at.
Speaker 5: Square one big time. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm just writing to humanity.
Speaker 1: Brother, I know.
Speaker 8: None of us learn I have to learn shit. You will, just like you know, open up to Anna and her stories. Wait, so just to close it out, just to close the circuit on this, you don't have that neighbor anymore, I imagine. No.
Speaker 5: Oh, so my big, my kind of big thesis is that I'm moved. So, oh you moved? That was how I did move? Yeah, that was my point, got you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, sorry, so I won't be Do you not work down the street anymore?
Speaker 11: Then either, I'm I'm on a sabbatical sure for at least yes, relatorial ways, for religious reasons, right.
Speaker 5: This one's for religious reasons.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what. Actually, if I may very quickly say this, I was bartending and I took It's the first time I've been bartending for over ten years, and it's the first time that I've gotten to take a year or I guess a year and a half away from it. And when I came back, I found myself so deeply hating this one regular, this guy. I just was looking at him and I was like, look at this fucking guy. I hate him so much. I hate his voice, I hate the smells he's looking at me. I hate when he's not looking at me. And then I thought, like, I don't want to care. I don't want to hate this guy, I don't care, you know, and that that is my pandemic lesson and maybe we'd become good friends with him in a grocery store.
Speaker 7: But when people are down at that bar, there's often on their worst behavior.
Speaker 5: They really are. I get Kyle. I used to that was my treat. But Kyle would come in and would observe and get to sit in the corner and really take in and be like, who Kyle hate in here? Yeah? What's Kyle?
Speaker 8: What's the most what's the vision that pops in your head? If we were to ask you of the horrible things you've seen in Anna's bar or not even doesn't have to be horrible, but just something memorable that stuck out to you.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 12: I always really liked going to her bar. I don't drink, but I liked going there because she would always make me a huge soda water and say this is.
Speaker 6: On the house.
Speaker 12: So every time she does she would do that, I go, is this on the house?
Speaker 5: Style would settle up in the corner she has a special spot where others aren't allowed, and she would order and I'd go, oh, with did you want five lives? And she'd go yeah, and then can this one be on the house this time, and I'd.
Speaker 1: Go, and then you would slide it down the bar like yeah.
Speaker 5: Cool stuff, very cool style.
Speaker 12: So nothing like I I feel like I was because I would go kind of, I wouldn't go during the crazy time.
Speaker 6: I feel like I wouldn't.
Speaker 12: I wouldn't see all the bad, bad stuff going down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she see the highlights.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of the bad stuff we haven't.
Speaker 8: What we're looking for is a bar story breaking.
Speaker 7: Wait again, we don't know the bar. It's it's somewhere in the Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: We don't know.
Speaker 1: A bullet.
Speaker 7: Someone came back to shoot and shot through the door and someone.
Speaker 1: Got hitting the leg with a bullet. It's that not true.
Speaker 5: That that actually that actually is true.
Speaker 1: And that your bar.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think about that pretty much every time I'm sitting in that exact stool where you can see the bullet.
Speaker 5: That happened during not to tell tales at a school, but Chris gercy Is wedding. Because I was at Chris Gercia's wedding, I took the shift off. Oh be there, and you missed it, and I missed it. For love, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Your leg.
Speaker 7: I thought you were saying someone it was at the wedding party, someone had a gun. Like at the wedding they had exit, they had a gun salute. The bride and groom walked down a row of riflemen and then one of them got excited that night and.
Speaker 5: Then there was a charge the bride.
Speaker 1: There's the bride, Hey shot the garter off her leg. It's an old tradition.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I love those those bars though, in that neighborhood because they are a lot of them are old and dark, and you get the vibe of how long asses them. It's sitting in those seats, you know what I mean, just like leaning against that bar. And I really I missed bar culture so much because I was just a very young, dynamic alcoholic.
Speaker 4: In my twenties to.
Speaker 8: The blackout degree it really did it solidly from twenty to twenty seven and lived in bars like that, like that's I lived for. I thought about it all day long and then I would get in there. I would do drink four beers real fast, start doing shots, start threatening like bouncers and shit like I just did it hard every night and I really loved it. Like I remember thinking I'll never stop doing this, like people are now starting to tell me they're worried about me, and I'll never stop doing this. And then it was like, of course I had to stop doing it, but like it's it's it can be so fun when when the elements come together correctly, Like I'll quickly tell you my favorite bar story in a good way. We were at we saw our front Greg Barn's band across the street at this at this club that was on Melrose right past Vine, and then Small's was up the street from that music club, so you would go to see bands play. So we all walk in and there's everyone's just being cool, right, everyone's like no one's looking at each other. There's a DJ but playing like very like chill music or whatever, and but we're already kind of drunk and like up from the club or whatever, so we're just kind of being a little bit loud and standing around and all the people that are there kind of like looking over their shoulder and then kind of like the next thing I remember is me and my friend the like the DJ, instead of playing something just instrumental, played like a Michael Jackson song, and me and my friend Danny just like looked at each other and just knew the second we made eye contact, and we're like, fucking, we're dancing and we don't care that no one else is dancing and no one in this bar is dancing at all. And we started a dance party that night at Smalls that at one point we were. My friend Danny and I who started it, were asked by the club owner to come back and start a dance party the next week on the same night, and we were like we and we kept calling ourselves paid professional dancers after that, but it was purely just the We were just drunk enough to not care, but not so drunk that we were fucking anything up. We were. It was the perfect pocket and then all these super cool, hipster, fake people of Los Angeles realized, we don't want to be cool and fake and hipster.
Speaker 5: We want to have fun.
Speaker 8: And everybody got on that fucking dance floor and it was the most magical night that like, for no reason on Thursday, and it never happened again.
Speaker 4: It was one of my favorite things about time.
Speaker 1: That is the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the best. That's how great?
Speaker 12: Good God, how come you didn't go back and take him on the offer?
Speaker 1: Well, why do.
Speaker 6: I speak like that I.
Speaker 4: Have issues the offer.
Speaker 5: I liked it.
Speaker 4: It was it was really formal.
Speaker 8: Because I think we thought we were gonna hear from him, like here's the plan if you show up at ten thirty, because he was it was really funny. He was just drunk as we were, because it turned into this weird like suddenly, this truly is a party. Like to me, that's what showing up at a bar is all about, is like maybe something great will happen, but it almost never does. But everyone I feel like if you could get everyone to be honest, they you could get them to admit like, yeah, I'm here, I hope to make.
Speaker 4: Out with someone.
Speaker 8: I hope I hope someone looks across the bar at me and starts asking me. You know, all these questions are like you want connection, but no, everyone's so cool in LA and so deep down actually lame that no one's ever going to be so cool that they're like, I'm a fucking dances It's Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: We have no choice like that.
Speaker 8: But it was just this perfect amount of It wasn't too crowded that people felt insanely insecure. It was almost like forty people who all went fuck it. At the same time, it.
Speaker 7: Was ges you tore down those walls, and I don't want you to become an attict again.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to drink again.
Speaker 7: But the version of you that you just described, I would have liked to have met dude doing shots and threatening security and then starting a dance party.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Karen, I know that. Can you please just do that sometime?
Speaker 8: I know. Believe me, there's no one more broken hearted than its been sober me. They're not drinking me, I should say, because it was really fun until you know, the seizures set in.
Speaker 4: Everybody, Sure take care of yourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well part of it.
Speaker 5: Dare I say we have a we have a little bit of a I drink a little, not mostly.
Speaker 6: I'm basically sober now at this point, so I mainly don't drink.
Speaker 5: But Kyl and I perfected a night out that is I mean, you're at a bar if you if that's a requirement, we can get you to a bar.
Speaker 6: Often.
Speaker 5: Is this night probably gonna cost you about I mean, you're looking at sixty dollars in the end, this is sixty dollars night. What are we talking about? We we can guarantee you the most fun no one has to drink night.
Speaker 1: I think, is it buying sixty dollars of balloons?
Speaker 5: That is really good?
Speaker 1: Just a guess. I like to guess.
Speaker 5: I really I really like that fifty nine dollars worth of balloons and then.
Speaker 4: And then one tip for the balloon man and then you want to tip?
Speaker 5: Of course we Is it okay that I tell them?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm trying to remember how like we decided to go do this.
Speaker 6: I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: You must know what I'm talking about, But how did we get there?
Speaker 12: I just wonder, like what I forget why we decided to go do that?
Speaker 4: Chris, what do you think it is? Sixty dollars?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you guys should Dodger Dodger's game.
Speaker 1: Now you buy some pizzas for everyone.
Speaker 5: I wish that's a really good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Pizza's here gets.
Speaker 5: A pass out at the beginning of the night. You decide tonight we're just gonna no matter no matter which way you look at it, it's a sixty dollars night. So that could be the pizzas. That could be to round of drinks. By the way, one time in San Francisco. I walked into a friend of mine was DJing at this bar cool Alert next door to a pizza place, and I walked into the bar to say I had my friend with a full pizza. And I was like, God, someone's gonna say something so annoying. And I walk in the you know, dorm. Person doesn't say anything, but I see my friend there. I'm making my way to them. Almost no one said anything, and then some guy somburrow goes, cool pizza and I just cool pizza.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't know you that.
Speaker 7: It is one of my It's why I have this restaurant. I don't like strangers commenting on my food.
Speaker 5: Strangers commenting on It's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh is it? What are you eating? Is that good? It's like, get the hell away from me.
Speaker 5: It's really funny because I like that. Do you like that?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 5: I hate that. That's where we diverge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yeah, I don't. I did not want you part of that. This is just me time.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 5: I don't even I don't even want you to look at my food.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't look at me.
Speaker 5: Don't look at me, of course, don't even look at my utensils.
Speaker 12: My argument is that it's just sort of like a compliment, Like I always take it as, oh I made a good choice.
Speaker 7: Oh I guess if a waiter says still, I get such a rise out.
Speaker 1: It's a positive vibes.
Speaker 7: Baby hate when I'm like, I'm like, you know what, I'll just get the chicken whatever, and they're like, ooh, good joy.
Speaker 1: That's one of my personal favorites. I work here.
Speaker 7: I don't even know I've had everything.
Speaker 4: And are you saying you you do like it? You're saying it's a.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you just wrote the most perfect bit of all time. If it's if it's that is so funny and it's so true, like like you're like, yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: It's a chicken parmesan. I chose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Are you in the culinary industry? How would you know ahead of time? You just picked it because of the ingredients, just grew up.
Speaker 4: What taste are you French?
Speaker 7: And then and then did you save room for dessert? And it's like, no, I'm drinking vodka, you idiot, that's my sugar. And then I flipped the table. I make things terrible.
Speaker 4: That one time, and we still don't know what the sixty dollars night is.
Speaker 5: I'll absolutely tell you, but just really quick, what started my hatred of people looking into my food is I was a fisherman's wharf and huge mistake, and I was like, I just you know what, I don't know what it is, what's in the air. I feel like a lobster bisk and I get this lobster bisk and it is lime green. It is like it was like Nickelodeon, lime green in a bread bowl. I'm sitting outside what's at St Patrick's Day? It's not Saint Patrick's. I don't know they spiked this. I don't know what happened to the lobster. But she's honey, she's green. And all these people these doors are walking by and I'm seated like on the sidewalk. People keep looking in past like there's like a little railing area protecting me from the elements, and people are just just teetering over the railing try to get into my lobster bisk. I know it's an uncomfortable color. I understand. I'll be the first to admit it. It shouldn't be green. But people are basically dipping their noses into my misk breaking their backs to comment on it and be like what is that? And ever since then I have this aversion. I don't even want to eat outside. I don't want anybody to look at my food. I would rather be alone in the closet in the dark.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's all based on being traumatized. After getting very, very sick from eating green biss.
Speaker 4: I felt better than I had in years, really juvenating. It was a rejuvenating basil lobster biss.
Speaker 8: I think because of my San Francisco outside experience, like when especially in LA, I'm like, I will not eat outside. It's just La is like eating outside is like why don't we go to Jiffy Lube and eat in the waiting room where it smells like tires?
Speaker 5: Like absolutely same thing outside LA. Stop pretending La.
Speaker 8: Is in any way nice, especially on the east side to eat outside unless you're at that place that's like got a secret tree and no it's crew surrounded on all sides. But like other than that, no, fucking what are you talking about? I don't want to eat well.
Speaker 5: Someone parallel parks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, next, gotta put up planters or buy some parking spaces there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Down at the street. Here they're just throwing down tables. Yeah, anywhere FECs. It's and I'm supposed to enjoy my green bask No, do.
Speaker 5: My green biscuit in doors?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's it's Yeah, that sounds like the worst.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Wait, and did you actually live in the city or did you just go up there?
Speaker 5: I did. I lived there for a bit, like I lived there after I moved there for college, and then I lived there until I was I want to say twenty.
Speaker 7: The night I met you, I drove you around that city. We had a show somewhere where the business I do believe wasn't there, speaking of ship on the floor, a dog or something that pooped on the stage.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: And I was like I was getting laughs and I'm like, that's not even the punchline. They were just laughing that I was dancing around this mystery turd because that it was a theater, had a theater dog with a indigestion whatever.
Speaker 1: And then and then we drove to the next place.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean little things that don't matter. Did I did I Did I remember to do my taxes this year?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: But do I vividly recall a turd on this stage.
Speaker 5: You're doing a show, you're having the set of a lifetime. You're gigging.
Speaker 1: The flood is pumping in your brain, making you remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your neck is thick with adrenaline. Ship next to you on the street, you remember that, Kyle, how long did you live in San Francisco?
Speaker 12: Well, I was born in San Francisco, so I was there.
Speaker 4: Are you a native?
Speaker 6: I'm a native? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What what hospital were you born in?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 6: I can't tell you.
Speaker 5: So you're lying.
Speaker 1: You're lying.
Speaker 4: You were born in Martinez?
Speaker 5: Was born in somewhere else? Sandra? And sorry?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 5: I yeah, yeah, so I was born there.
Speaker 12: My dad is a generation in San Franciscan, so I guess I'm second generation Sarranciscan. And then I just left for college, so I was there for a while.
Speaker 8: Okay, I was born at Saint Luke's. I just wanted you to say I was born at Saint Lukes so we could both scream.
Speaker 4: And Luke's.
Speaker 1: Ten years after me.
Speaker 7: Well, I was born and no one's asking, but ill.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: Monterey is a bay, Monterey Bay, and my parents called that the bay area when I was little, and I guess they were wrong.
Speaker 8: Because that well, for central kind of like for central California, it's the Bay. Yeah, it's just a different thing.
Speaker 7: But yeah, but I've been telling people when they refer to the Bay Area, they're usually talking San Francisco, and I was like, oh, I was born there, and then they're like, oh really, And then they asked me the hospital and I'm like, I was born in Carmel and They're like, why'd you lie to me?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 1: Oh, stop trying to Yeah, there's more than one Bay.
Speaker 8: Do you guys want to talk about your new podcast, Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 5: We definitely do. Can we also quickly? Can we tell you about the bar?
Speaker 6: Oh? We should tell you what we do for six years?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, this be the most frustrating episode their seat.
Speaker 8: Know your natural podcasters, because you're drawing it out so people to.
Speaker 4: Stay all the way through for the sixty dollars story.
Speaker 7: After this message is we'll tell you what that's sixty dollars was spent on.
Speaker 1: Here's some music.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Sixty bucks.
Speaker 5: Okay, sixty bucks.
Speaker 7: It wasn't balloons, It was not pizza.
Speaker 5: Pizza, cool pizza. Okay, it's cool pizza. Okay, I don't know what the origin of this is.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it's that, you know, we both want to have a night life, but I don't drink and it doesn't drink a lot. Yeah, so we want to be out there, but and we want to rock. We also have a rock side, so I mean that's just a very specific kind of thing that we're trying to get. So we started going to the Viper Room. I mean, that's why it's really expensive, because there's usually like twenty dollars cover.
Speaker 5: You're looking at a twenty dollars cover. You're looking at you want to park your car somewhere on the strip, that's at least twenty dollars. At least soda water that's twenty dollars right there. So we went to the Viper Room. I don't remember how the first time, but we immediately fell in love and we go we got to come back here every Friday night.
Speaker 12: Well, the crazy thing is we saw this vand that Oh this is crazy, but we saw this band. I don't I can't tell you what this vand who they were, but it's like they didn't obey the rules of the stage and performing on the tables before me, like where we were standing, and I was terrified.
Speaker 5: On a video of Kyle's screaming because they just wouldn't obey. They just took the kind of the edges of the stage is a soft suggestion for when one might want to perform. They go, I see the rules that I'm going to break them. I'm going to walk on the They walked on the bar so many times that the bartenders stopped paying attention. It's just started serving drinks over the people walking, and the.
Speaker 1: Whole time Kyle's yelling, you're not obeying the rules of this stone.
Speaker 5: Kyle was like, why are they so close to me? Why I thought this was safe? Show business is a discipline.
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: It's so funny. Not allowed every it's not allowed, I mean every aspect of the Viper Room from the time you're near the building. Because there's a door woman who.
Speaker 13: Whose voice is kind of like this, and she's like like she's everyone's in a costume and the costume is rock and roll, and you're just like, this place was absolutely developed by Johnny Depp.
Speaker 5: I love this.
Speaker 14: This woman is like, let me see your idea and then let me see your bag to see what kind of bullshit you have, and you're like, I just what kind of bullshit I have in my bag? And then she's like, I get in and the bar's open, so you can go get a jack and coke or a jack and diet coke.
Speaker 5: And that's it.
Speaker 1: That was her rock and roll door joke.
Speaker 5: That's it. That's our joke basically. So we have a little system which is let you tell them.
Speaker 8: Oh, wait, how many times have you guys gone before the pandemic?
Speaker 12: That was kind of the biggest bummer because it was kind of our night life. So the pandemic kid, it was like, okay, we can't.
Speaker 5: Go to the er.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I wish people would see what I look like because I do stick out like a sore thumb there.
Speaker 7: It is very funny to me, if you guys are being serious kind of thought you were a kidding.
Speaker 1: Did you regularly go.
Speaker 7: To the wannabe rock and roll It's the most hilarious place ever.
Speaker 8: They must think you're like, you're like Rolling Stone journalists or like research.
Speaker 5: Or I go to Cambridge and I've just heard exactly.
Speaker 8: You're the bit, you're the fire inspectors. You're just there to get ahead count and actually.
Speaker 5: Osha, this is a compliant Yeah, so what are we do? What we do.
Speaker 12: Beforehand was we're like, it's not fun if we don't know the e bands, like and sometimes there's not a lot of people there, so we're like, what if we see the lineup. We're saying, like, we will go see this group called God Saves Me and I just made that name up, just a very probable one is there. And then if we so, well, before we go there, we'll just listen to the whole album, their whole album and really like understand like the kind of music, try to memorize some of the lines. So then when we get there and you sometimes the audiences are very small, we just like being able to sing the song side yeah.
Speaker 4: And they're like, so you're impersonating fans.
Speaker 15: Yeah, wow, fans fans because it's almost like we've studied so diligently the lyrics of a song that it doesn't even really at a certain point the lines blur and it doesn't even matter if you really like them by the time the song.
Speaker 5: By the time Wolfies come, you go, this is this is wolf were study this, then you really are a fan at that point. Yeah, really, it really is amazing.
Speaker 7: That is the most That is the most innocent and heartwarming. I still don't all the way believe you're doing it.
Speaker 5: We were constantly doing this.
Speaker 1: It is a very wholesome thing to do.
Speaker 16: Also to do it, to do it soberly is so funny because it's not like you're just like fucking around and like whatever, we're just we just need to be a bar.
Speaker 8: It's like you you're going and going. We are here to participate in the Viper Room experience whatever that might be tonight.
Speaker 5: Well that's why when you said that you earnestly got people to start dancing and to earnestly and you know, nobody was really worried about looking cool. I mean it's not exactly the same, because what I will say with confidence about everybody at the Viper Room is that they're just entirely worried about looking cool. That's all they're really there to do. But if you're like, yeah, I love it you're singing, then you know, usually we'll get some looks and then people will be like, yeah, actually, you know what to think of it? I love singing too.
Speaker 7: You know what, guys, I'm going to take off my studded jacket and start acting like myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, this is all a mask.
Speaker 8: I'm here to be myself tonight, like these two young reporters.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and they all put on a cardigan sweater, so I really am journalists.
Speaker 1: Print it is not dead.
Speaker 15: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 7: And and the band wouldn't assume unless you're really laughing while doing it.
Speaker 1: They're they're just thinking, oh, we these that knew the songs, well, there was a.
Speaker 5: Fair band where they didn't have they the last time they put out in an EP was I mean it was it's with a heavy heart that I announced that they haven't put out an EP since twenty thirteen. So they were playing some songs and we were like requesting songs.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: We were like like vector of your Heart or whatever, and they were like, vector of your Heart. We haven't it.
Speaker 7: Okay, but they believed they were. They did not think you were making fun of them. No, they're just like, all right, guys, try and keep.
Speaker 1: Up, yes, heart.
Speaker 7: I hope Vector of your Heart is about getting a JPEG photo and factorizing it to us an illustrator.
Speaker 1: It's like a graphic design song.
Speaker 6: Shit.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 8: I mean, first of all, you already made the mistake of inviting me, so I'm going to be going some time.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, here's what I used in bars in Missoula and with one specific friend, my buddy Kevin. We would go in and fake fight each other, like throw each other over schools. I would actually be punching them, but not like not hard. But you can make everyone watching. If you hit someone in the face and then you throw them over something and everything spills, everyone could freak out.
Speaker 1: But we were laughing the whole It was so hard not to laugh. So we're laughing and fighting, but the fighting looked real enough that they ignored the lat They just thought we were crazy, and then we'd leave. We wouldn't break anything, but that's kind of fun because then everyone else would start fighting. I don't know, I didn't stick around that long. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Okay, it always happens in a movie if you're fighting everyone else. Yeah, all of a sudden, Terry Bradshaw shoves some guy's head into a jukebox and then the bartender's like fuck it, and he brings.
Speaker 10: It bottle like you know, yeah, yeah, of course they have a gun behind the bar, there's a lady at the front door that just starts making out with someone and then she punches another lady.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, I don't know that that ever happened. We just confused because you got to get in and out when you do a fake fight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, yeah that to be honest, that was also sober behavior. I think it's an innocent thing to soberly go into a bar and out do everyone with bar behavior, yes, and then then leave like uh huh they believed.
Speaker 8: Us absolutely, Yeah, I really it also kind of what you guys are doing. I know that you're telling that story because that idea starting a business where it's like we will send cool people around to your dumb thing and start fun to happen, because you can't rely on just you know, your average group of five people to be fun or have fun. Like I mean not to say there's plenty of fun people out there, but so many people feel oppressed by societies. You know, I judgmental eye looking at them, But like the idea that you'd be like, for five hundred dollars, I'm going to send four loud girls into your shitty bar at right around ten forty five and all of a sudden, you're going to go to next level bar party. Wow, you know what I mean, because that's really what it takes, right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, we got to team up with you.
Speaker 1: I think you're bringing this.
Speaker 4: I've got ideas.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: So the sixty dollars, okay, that's spent. Have we spent that yet? Is that spending it? On MP three's so you can memorize the lyrics? Were the sixty dollars?
Speaker 5: Yet we're supporting the artist on band camp that's like fifty ok there, okay, yeah, that's ok. No, twenty dollars cover, twenty dollars to park your far across the street, and then of.
Speaker 1: Course there's a cover parking soda soda.
Speaker 7: I assumed it was a free show and you were just paying to have the tables cleaned.
Speaker 5: Because you are the joke of the town. If you think you're going you are a jester, Chris. If you think you're going up the viper room and they're letting you in for free, I am yeah, planet, no way, it's no way.
Speaker 1: I mean, bands, for God's sake, what a value?
Speaker 5: It is, such a value. I mean they could charge me, I would I would pay thirty because of the amount of fun you're having. I mean, this is basically this is my disney Land, since it's a bargain at twice the price. Even in the beginning of the pandemic, when people were trying to have fun with Instagram Live, I don't know if you remember that brief period. Yeah, yeah, we put together a play about Oh my god, we put together a play because Instagram you could split your screen into two when you go live with two people. Oh yeah, so we really we go let's let's uh utilize this, utilize this format. We're going to be on bunk beds and we're on bunk band beds on a tour bus that's playing, that's going to the viper room. That was our play.
Speaker 12: I think like five people watch are really hard on it.
Speaker 5: Really hard.
Speaker 1: How much money went into.
Speaker 5: This lots of Yeah, I mean we were doing things that were like, we're passing down a pill bottle from the top back up, can you actually take this pill bottle back?
Speaker 1: We got to have a pill bottle? Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 5: I like we wrote a play about about being a band that strives to be at the viper room. That's hilarious. We gotta we really got to bring that back now that we've saved saved our stages. Yeah, that's right. We want to do a Viper Room musical. I don't know if that's okay, if that's copyright. Well, you know what's nice is we just discovered horror fan bases and it's it's modest, and it's it's you know, shy in numbers, but it's it's just quiet.
Speaker 8: Wait.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you discovered that the fan base is.
Speaker 5: Our fan base? Oh yeah, yeah, it's shy dads. I don't know what it is. That's really weird. It's like a dad who. I don't know if they're devoce.
Speaker 12: I don't want to say weird because no.
Speaker 5: No, you know, we welcome you with you. Yeah, absolutely, keep keep them coming. But but they are shy dads. They're shy. We Kyle had a theory that maybe they're like living vicariously through us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you go investigate things?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, yeah there.
Speaker 7: I just went to Denver and the our fans, Karen are so they're the sweetest people. It's such it's such a I'm so relaxed because they're just nice people and there's no drunk bros.
Speaker 1: There's no, bros.
Speaker 5: You it like the amount of people there's no there's no one more like people that I know from uh, not not comedy at all, like pre comedy maybe like the most from you know, other like cities where I've lived or whatever. People that are not tied to comedy at all always are like Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 8: Karen, Yeah, yeah, and they pronounce it correctly, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very much kill Griffill.
Speaker 4: Oh that's what they just call you and say that and then hang up the phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I go, how'd you get my number? Why are you? You're calling from Canada?
Speaker 7: I mean it is interesting. I want to know why shy dads go to yours.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Karen, it's nice.
Speaker 4: I'd say ours are bold moms.
Speaker 8: I mean it's always people that like they're because of podcasting makes people think, you know, it's like we know each other because I hang out with you, so there's it's like familiar, and there's it's always people that, uh like when I meet them, Like the first time we went to do a meet and greet, which I'd never done anything like that before, and I was like the second we were walking toward it, and then I went, oh my god, what are we doing.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be so creepy and this is gonna be so scary.
Speaker 8: And the second it started, it was just person after person that was like it feels like I know this person. Yeah, and they're truly like know how to talk to you or just normal. They don't have an odd energy. Like every one of them is like, where are you friends with my sister? Did I go to camp with you? Like I don't I know you?
Speaker 7: That's a better way. I just saying they're nice and bring me comfort. But it's exactly that they fucking know me. Yeah, in a weird way. And it's like, oh, I do have friends. And then I leave town and I never say that. Every city is like a twelve breakups with friends.
Speaker 8: Well, guys, well, do you have anything else you need to cover? I mean I feel like we've we haven't even there was no plan there was, you know, did you need to promote anything in partic No?
Speaker 5: Really, Well, we have a podcast at least you say the name of it, okay, and it's called Truth Hounds.
Speaker 6: Nice we say it together.
Speaker 12: And it's just an opportunity for us to go out in the real world and try to investigate things.
Speaker 5: Really, the genesis of the investigation is is I would even say experiences like going to the viper room where we're like what is that? And how do we recreate that? And other aspects of our lives. So it's like an excuse for us to get to do fun stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like it's sociology but kind of like X files because you're investigating and searching for the truth because it's out there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's an opportunity for us to do fun stuff that's not really great on a podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, absolutely. It's very visually dependent.
Speaker 4: So season two, I take fun on it.
Speaker 5: Oh you were and you were our first celebrity. You are only celebrity so probably the only one. Well that will go on. You were great.
Speaker 4: It was really funny.
Speaker 8: Well, and it hadn't come out yet or there was no way to reference it, so they gave me.
Speaker 4: It was really like they're like, so where can it be doing this?
Speaker 5: It was like I just got the guidelines.
Speaker 8: Of what your podcast reality was and then you're just like and just play along however you and so choose.
Speaker 4: It was really funny.
Speaker 5: We interviewed you if you remember about what it's like to be mean. That's right.
Speaker 8: And there was a lot of like apologizing beforehand and like, look, no, it's not like people were telling us you're mean. I'm like, no, you can skip all that. I absolutely, very proudly identify as a mean person.
Speaker 5: Yes, well you were the most insightful and then we actually the conclusion we came to in our investigation is that you're actually not mean. So I don't, right, that's the big secret. That's the big secret.
Speaker 8: Paral emotional, softy, but a little spike key on the outside.
Speaker 7: Until you know someone or they happen to oddly know you through your.
Speaker 8: Through your podcast, right, Yeah, exactly. Well, fun, congratulations you guys. I'm glad you started a podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much. Great job.
Speaker 4: It was so fun to talk to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was just fun. Well yeah, I'm just thinking back. Let's recap some of the memories.
Speaker 1: Now that would take a long time. Well, thank you for being on.
Speaker 7: Thank you, and I'm sorry I won't be seeing you in the neighborhood anymore.
Speaker 5: I'll come back and loiter by your garage regards.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I.
Speaker 7: Was fishing, and you took a bait, perfect get down there. It's wearing what I believe at the time you were wearing it. It's almost a trench coat. Yes, see you in your trench coat by my Yeah, you guys have been great.
Speaker 1: Good to see you all.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here's my conclusionary thing that I always do. You've been listening to Do you need to ride? De Wyan and are leaving?
Speaker 8: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us time and a Turmanol and gay.
Speaker 4: We want to send you off InStyle.
Speaker 5: You want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 8: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 5: We scared her? Was it fine? Malborn? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need right roun? Do you need with Karen and cress
Speaker 6: M h.