Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just you.
Speaker 3: Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's not good to start with.
Speaker 2: I had to start because Daniel's doing some sort of a thing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing so triple duty today. We're co hosting, we're being producers of ourselves, and we're being editors, you know what.
Speaker 1: We're just doing it all.
Speaker 2: We're doing it all. I'm not good at like opening it Hello, like good evening, Hello morning, good day, sir. Like I don't have to do that. Also, I accidentally watched two episodes of butt Heads, and so I have to get my brain to think about the one before the one I just watched.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what, it's fresh in my noggin.
Speaker 2: So I'm so glad. It's season one, episode nine. Season one, episode nine, No. One takes Kalisi's Dragons, and it aired August thirteenth. Now do you say twenty twelve or do you say twenty twelve?
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve?
Speaker 2: I honestly think I might say two thousand and twelve? Is that not copper? Interestingly, this episode was directed by David Paymer. He's like famous. Yeah, you might not know him, but I do.
Speaker 4: And for the synopsis of this episode, Michelle clashes with an awed winning.
Speaker 1: Barista aka Kirk.
Speaker 4: Melanie tries to learn the cause of jenny strange behavior, and the ballet class suffers as Fanny and Sasha's standoff continues.
Speaker 2: You like Kirk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's the issue that I have with this episode. It's not necessarily an issue, but it just it opened with a Gilmore Girls song, like it felt.
Speaker 1: With Gilmore Girls. It opened with Kirk.
Speaker 4: It opened with you know, like well, not that Suton was in golm Girls, but like it opened with Gilmore Girls the shop. That's one thing that it like kind of It opened with Gilmore Girls without Gilmore Girls, and that bothered me.
Speaker 1: It should have been Luke at the coffee shop. It should have been Laura Li not Born Graham.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the thing. I have been thinking about this endlessly, right, endlessly. Why is this show good but not great.
Speaker 4: Because it's trying to be Gilmore Girls and it's not. Sorry I'm being answer, that's not my answer. What's your answer? You guys get a little lot of for the people in the.
Speaker 2: Backs and it's nice. I don't like to not be nice, but I think that I keep wanting it to be Lauren Graham and it's not, and I think, bless her, bless her right. Sutton Foster is so talented, she's a singer, dancer, she can act all the things. But she is over the top, and so for me, the line chatting in the coffee shop, Okay, here's what it is. Here's what just came to me. With Gilmore girls, the town and the townspeople are so quirky and kind of goofy, but Luke Rory and Laura Lei are actually not. They're like underacting or whatever the word would be, or understated, which makes the goofiness of Kirk totally palatable, whereas in this Kirk is being Kirk even though his name's not Kirk. He's still very kirky. But she's so awkward and like and she can't do the prat folly stuff like Lauren can. Like even when that thing I know it's later knocks off the I don't remember if it's in this scene or later where something knocks off the shelf and it's like his heirloom from his trip or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, No, there's a lot of girl and you're fixated on Lauren Graham. I'm fixated on Gilmar Girls as a series because also in this episode we get a town meeting and like, that's Gilmer Girls.
Speaker 1: Why are we doing that? In fun Heads. It's a lot of the same same without it being the same same. That's the problem. It's not, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not Gilmar Girls. And if you're going to take a nod to Gilmore Girls, you have to execute it correctly.
Speaker 2: And you know what else? I hate it in this Oh, it just came back to me what constantly only calling Richard the choreographer guy that she wants to audition for and being such a freak about it. Yeah, and she's get it. She's just being so freaky to the assistant. And it's like there's something about the way the character is. And look, it's not in every episode, because there are other times when she does it perfectly, but there are times when I'm like, cringe dot com, this is so cringey.
Speaker 1: Did you get the cringe?
Speaker 4: Did you get the cringe dot com when you saw it in real time back in the day? Was it cringey back then?
Speaker 2: I think so? And do you want to know something super weird? Yes, this is super weird or mean, but that's okay. We're not being mean, but we can't tell the truth if we don't tell the truth, say the truth. I was talking to a friend about younger, okay, and my friend loves younger and I also love younger. I was saying to the friend, you know, I think Sutton Foster is a lot better and younger than she is.
Speaker 1: In this right Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the friend even said that Sutton Foster slips into sort of a cringey performance at times. And I'm not being mean to Sutton Foster. It's not that, it's that she's a Broadway actor. And I'm convinced of it, because like Broadway acting is not the same, right, Like, I mean, what do I know, But like when you're on stage, I feel like you have to project and you have to be a little bit more anni use your body and like to the people in the back row, and so sometimes I think that's what happens. I'm like, oh, oh, that's a.
Speaker 1: Fair that's a fair assessment.
Speaker 2: Kelly Bishop never overacts.
Speaker 1: Kelly Bishop is a queen, that's why.
Speaker 2: And the girls don't overact like I'm sorry to say you think Boo.
Speaker 4: Boo over acts for me, Like in the corner of this I like Boo and I like, you know, so yeah, but I do love her. I do love her, though you see there's a difference. I do love her. But all right, I mean, okay, So we started at the coffee shop.
Speaker 2: A little funny actually, when the girls were hiding in the bushes from Fanny and like, you know, we're still dealing with Charlie the brother, like it's.
Speaker 1: All yeah, yeah, so I mean you kind of started it.
Speaker 4: So a big point of this is this episode is trying to figure out who's going to be Clara and the Nutcracker right because they haven't is no longer.
Speaker 1: And she's cheerleading, which.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about because at the end of this episode, I gotta I gotta give a little golf collap to Sasha at the end of this episode.
Speaker 2: So I also love the cheerleading. It's so funny. The best part of this entire episode is when which girl is it? Who who likes the brother? Is it Melanie or Ginny? I get them blurred the name.
Speaker 4: Oh Jinny, Well, she doesn't really like the so Melanie is the sister.
Speaker 2: To the brother. Okay, no, it's Ginny. She does like the brother. Yeah, how about when she freaking fell in the bleachers of the basketball game. I had to watch that three times. I was like, first of all, it's not a stand in or stunt double. It's so funny. I was like, that is actually genius, Like it was so good. And the guy she falls on, I mean that.
Speaker 1: I like those girls. The four girls are awesome.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Let's talk about Jenny's storyline for a little bit, because I did. I had again golf claps for Sasha, which we'll talk about later, but also golf claps for Melanie because she just told she told Ginny like it like it was. She was like, you are breaking girl code for liking my brother.
Speaker 1: Boo likes my brother.
Speaker 4: Nah, you are not allowed to touch that Boo does like.
Speaker 2: The other boy. I know.
Speaker 4: But as we can tell, she finally gets a smooch rooney from the guy, but then she ruins it.
Speaker 2: Was it so hard, that was harsh.
Speaker 3: And cringe like she finally can be agadging being upset about someone's dumb brother who doesn't even like you in front of the guy you do like yeah.
Speaker 4: And also it's like this guy is a loser, like he literally was. Yeah yeah, the one that the brother like he's a loser. He you know, is the bad boy at school, you know, like it's just, ugh, don't waste your time.
Speaker 2: Kind of realistic. I've seen that, like, yeah, we all have a boy. So that's the thing I like about this is sometimes when the storylines are kind of real. Is this the episode where Sutton starts kind of flirting with the cute guy at the Oyster Bar? Is it called the Oyster Bar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Oysterbar.
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't even say she flirting with him. I think he started flirting with her.
Speaker 1: She was just being herself and then he digging that too.
Speaker 2: I am too, And I remember digging it when I watched this the first time. I remember being like, yeah, I'm into that, and I like the way they banter. He's super cool and she's less weirdo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I like him a lot, and I like that he is going for it, but very subtly he's like, you know what, I'm cute.
Speaker 1: He knows he's cute.
Speaker 2: Totally, and he knows he's nice. But then when we go back to the coffee shop each time, I'm again, oue crunch. I can't with her performance in the coffee shop just makes me so.
Speaker 1: Like about how long she's waiting for coffee?
Speaker 2: And now are you finding you have a hard time that thinking of do you think of Hugh Jackman every time? And is this the episode where there's like a huge Jackman mentioned? Oh, I would have to reward I did not the one before. I can't remember, sorry, but every time now I'm like Hugh Jackman like, it's just like I can't separate it. No, it's not, it's not it's not. It's not good back. I think that might have been the one before, because maybe we talked about it. But there is an episode where there's a Hugh Jackman mentioned. Wait, no, it is this one. I'm sorry. It's how they got Gypsy to the town meeting. Somebody went to the town meeting. Or maybe it was one of the girls. Somebody went. It's somebody went to the town meeting because they were told something about Hugh Jackman. Anyway, Okay, let's let's keep going, all right, So where are we back at the coffee shop? So annoying, she's still calling Richard. It's like why does she have to call him every time she's at the coffee shop too?
Speaker 4: Like, oh, let me go in the studio and Michelle's taking tap class.
Speaker 1: This is all kind of snoozy for me.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to where we find out that the gro is this where we find out that the grocery store is not going to happen. She's all excited for the grocery store. Yeah, the grocery store is not going to happen.
Speaker 1: And here's what leads to the town meeting.
Speaker 2: Here's my other problem with Butnheads versus Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls really created the town for me, like we saw it, it existed. This speaks of a town that's supposed to be like stars Hollow, but yet every town scene is in her Mosa Beach and it really throws me off. I'm like, yeah, of course there's a grocery store. There's probably a Whole Foods and a Ralph like soon there'll be an airwan, like come on. So that's what bugs me. It's like, make a town, Yeah, make a town if this is such a small town, and then oh yes, won't get to do the opening dance with Carl because there's no opening because of the there's no grocery store yep. Then we had the basketball game, which was hilarious.
Speaker 4: The basketball game was the best part everything of the every part of the basketball game. So from from Genny falling down the bleacherts hilarious to Boo being you know, noticing that the two boys she likes were talking to other girls.
Speaker 1: You know that was kind of like oh to.
Speaker 4: Literally yeah, and Sasha just literally hating line.
Speaker 2: That the team sucks, so that.
Speaker 4: The team sucks, but she was just like, what do you mean, like because the whole thing higher than everybody.
Speaker 2: Kicks are too high. This is a decent episode.
Speaker 4: The cheerleaders were good too, like that head cheerleader that was you know, interacting with Sasha a lot. I enjoyed her character. No, you need to kick like this, you know, we all need to be uniform.
Speaker 2: It was cute. I liked the whole The whole thing was funny and it wasn't super over the top and awkward. And Michelle wasn't in the scene like this show works. I'm sorry, I like her and it's not. I don't don't make this about like me and Sutter Fostar because I don't know her and I'm fine with her and she can date you Jackman, and it's all good, and I like Younger. I just don't think she's at the top of her game in this Funhead series, or Lauren Graham is too amazing and that is also the problem. So I don't know which it is. I don't know if Setton Foster is not the top of her TV game or if it's just that Lauren Graham is so good that it that she just can't live up, cannot live up.
Speaker 4: We had seven seasons of an amazing TV series of which everyone wanted more of.
Speaker 1: Undoubtedly, I'm gonna go on a limb.
Speaker 2: Sasha is as good as alexis bladell Okay, I'm gonna say it. I'm gonna say it out out. It's not the other characters. It's that score Sutt and Foster cannot live up to what Lauren Graham did and Gilmore girls, I'm convinced. And she also can't live up to what Rachel Brosenhan did in Missus Masel.
Speaker 4: So when we can go out on a limb here, we can go out on a limb here and say if Lauren Graham.
Speaker 1: Was set and Foster, I still would have an issue with.
Speaker 4: It because I just disagree so because it is trying to be Gilmore Girls without it being Gilmore Girls, and that bothers me.
Speaker 1: If we're gony to do Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Girls, I think of the coffee shop, if we're another town meeting. If we're gonna have the music be Gilmore Girls, give me More Girls.
Speaker 2: That's fair. But I think if Lauren Graham was playing Michelle, we wouldn't have any of these problems because it wouldn't be cringy, it wouldn't be over the top, and you would be like, I love the town meeting, I love the grocery store or the coffee shop. You would be like, I love the music. You'd be like, I'm good. I don't know. I don't know. Other people need to tell us because is it just me or is that the cringe tastic part of this fun heads that makes it go m it's good.
Speaker 4: But if you're gonna give me half a Gilmore Girls, don't give me half, give me all or none, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like all take all, take some crumbs of Gilmore I think that's the difference. I'm good with this because it's very Gilmore Girls. Ye like it really is a problem.
Speaker 1: That's my problem.
Speaker 2: I feel like by the time she got to Missus Masel, she had separated herself enough from Gilmore Girls that she was able to do something that you know, has the things of Gilmore Girls that we love, but was different enough. This really is a bit of an imitation.
Speaker 1: M mm hmm. And I guess what. It's not hitting the mark, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: And my feeling is it's not hitting the mark because of Michelle.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well agree to disagree there, but I tell those people, like everyone listening, why did they.
Speaker 2: Mess up with bad passion?
Speaker 1: So bad?
Speaker 2: Anyway, So we go to the we have the scene at Melanie's and we do address like girl code yeah, which I'm like torn but okay. Then we get the town meeting, which is like a council meeting or whatever. So it wasn't quite a town meeting, but it.
Speaker 1: Was so annoying.
Speaker 2: And I'm certain this is where they say Hugh Jackman fair one of the girls was convinced to come because she was going to get to FaceTime with Hugh Jackman and the other girls like you actually thought you're going to get to FaceTime with Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, now now it's coming back to me. I do I do remember the exact I just I don't know why I do.
Speaker 1: Weird is that?
Speaker 2: I mean, like, honestly, how weird is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So like everyone being like, you know, questioninghether or not we should be reporting on it, of course we should, guys.
Speaker 1: And then you know, after that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we got the chatty chat with Godet.
Speaker 1: You're just totally missing the taboo, and Carl just macin.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. And then and then we had the like uncomfortable incident, right yep.
Speaker 1: And then they just made out.
Speaker 4: Melanie and Jenny walk in on them making out, and then something with the brother and yeah, somehow the brother gets brought up, and then Boo just goes on a tangent about how how can you like the brother? I like the brother I called him first, while the guy that she likes and is currently making out with standing right behind her.
Speaker 1: Awkward. I'm still going to say a good scene, good scene, I'll give it.
Speaker 2: I like the Bertie blurty banter between Goodou and Michelle, So that was a good scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited for the two of them.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it too. Also, Rip Hubble just never to be mentioned.
Speaker 2: I know he gets he does show up again. But then this scene I actually felt was very well acted by Sutton Foster when she goes to see Sasha at cheerleading. That I was like, you know what, nailed it, girl. So it's like, maybe it's I can't blame it on the director because there's a different director every time, but there are times when Sutton Foster nails it and then there are times when she doesn't. I'm gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 1: I'll leave it at that, I agree, But.
Speaker 2: We don't rate these. I can't remember one.
Speaker 4: But the one thing that's really important is at the very end, Sasha just like has enough with the cheerleading squad and just says, we are not.
Speaker 1: Going to do a victory dance. We are far from victory. We're gonna win this, Gabe.
Speaker 4: And then everyone else on the cheerleading squad is just depressed just so like in the dumps, and Sasha is relishing in the moment, and I loved that final scene where she's like all happy and like the rest of this squad is good.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, Sasha, I can't think of her name right now, but the actress has gone on to do other things, and she is.
Speaker 1: Good, she's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and her name is oh yeah, Julia Goldani.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So next week is the Nutcracker episode. Yep, here's what I'm gonna tell you, Daniel. It's, in my humble opinion, as good as the first two episodes that I really liked. It's okay, really really good. All right.
Speaker 1: Look, if I.
Speaker 2: Was a.
Speaker 4: Normal human being watching this series on TV, you would not get me on episode ten.
Speaker 1: I would have.
Speaker 2: You'd be gone.
Speaker 1: I would be gone, like I'm out.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I'm here to report for our listeners, and I'm stick with it. I'm I'm gonna stick with it.
Speaker 2: I am not the same as you because I watched it every week, and when it got canceled, I was genuinely disappointed. Like I remember being like, I'm actually super bummed, and sometimes I don't even care when a show gets canceled, and this one I was like, oh that hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm excited for next week.
Speaker 4: Eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's eighteen episodes.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Maybe the next eight You're gonna really change your mind.
Speaker 5: You must soon find out I don't remember how we end this. Bun Heads out, oh, bun heads out.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram, I am at I Am all In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com