Speaker 1: The following podcast is a Dear media production.
Speaker 2: Big Things Happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Robe and each.
Speaker 2: Week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. The topic of kindness dates back to the beginning of time. It's in the Bible, Koran and Torah. Today, kindness is a word we throw around like confetti, be kind to others, spread kindness, random acts of kindness. But when we strip the cliches away, is kind of simply the act of being nice to someone? Or is there more to it? What does it mean to be deeply actively kind?
Speaker 3: Here's what I know.
Speaker 2: When we're kind or even witness and active kindness, our bodies release oxytocin. Oxytocin is sometimes referred to as the love hormone. It's responsible for all of the warm and fuzzy feelings. It's what goes through a woman's body during birth. It binds human beings. There's something to this, but I have so many questions. What does it take to be a kind person? Can kindness be learned or practiced? How about kindness and leadership? Does it pay to be kind or is there any truth to that phrase? Nice guys, finish?
Speaker 1: Last?
Speaker 2: Is kindness ever weakness? How does kindness impact our health and overall well being? Houston Craft spent his career studying kindness, and now he's written a book on it and is ready to share all of the answers.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to have you here.
Speaker 2: I just did a deep dive into your book, and the topic of kindness is it should be simple, right. Kindness seems simple, and yet it's oversimplified.
Speaker 3: It actually is really confusing.
Speaker 2: So the first thing I want to get into is what is beneath kindness?
Speaker 3: Is what is kindness?
Speaker 1: It is the challenge I think of the world itself. I think we from the time we were really little, we were told that kindness is worthwhile. I think it's actually one of the things that we inherently know that we're wired for connection.
Speaker 4: That were wired to desire, belonging and acceptance, which I think like kindness is the bridge, you know, like, if I want to experience connection or belonging or depth in my life, kindness is one vehicle that allows me to experience that.
Speaker 1: And so from the time we're little, we both get taught it and I think we know it, and I think there's actually a gap between those two, right, the things that we like know to be true and the things that we get told I think are actually confusing. My career for many years was working in schools as a motivational speaker. I spoke to six hundred middle schools and high schools all over the world, and so I spent a lot of time in like cafeterias and gymnasiums and cafeinic gymnatoriums. I've been in all kinds of schools, and I would say that most schools have kindness as a part of their model or their mission statement. Most organizations, I think have to some degree part of their ethos is like service or kindness. But having worked in schools, I would tell you that I saw the poster just be kind or throw kindness around like confetti in probably like ninety percent of the schools that I worked in, And I think it's one of those really interesting things we do as a culture where we try to over promote something in a way that oversimplifies it, and as a result, I think we actually do more harm than good. The ethos, like the idea behind a poster that's like throw kindness around like confetti. Is we should be more generous, like we should give kindness more frequently. The danger is that we associate kindness with something that's simple or easier free, And I think we accidentally have created a narrative in our culture that kindness is free, and I think that's actually incredibly damaging because when we think of things as free, we don't assign value to them.
Speaker 4: In our own lives. Wow.
Speaker 1: I think we have a really frustrating gap in our culture between skills and values. Skills would be like whoa to get a doctorate or to become a professional athlete, or to acquire the skill requires discipline, practice and training over time. But with values, we're like, I believe in kindness and we think that just like believing in a thing makes us good at a thing. And I would argue it requires the same amount of discipline and practice and humility over time to.
Speaker 4: Achieve that thing.
Speaker 1: So that would be like the first clarification things necessary is the gap between what we believe in and the gap between what we do is big because of how we talk about it and how we teach it.
Speaker 2: That was very illuminating. Why do you think some people are kinder than others.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite quotes comes from doctor Ross Green talk about it in the book. He's a child psychologist, and he would say that kids do well when they can. I really love the power and the simplicity of that statement because the implication there, the motivation behind even saying it, is I think a lot of adults in kids' lives don't always assume best intent, consciously or unconsciously. We sometimes assume when someone hurts us, particularly a kid, it's because they want to get back at us, or they have ulterior motives, or that they're doing they want to do their own thing, when in reality, a lot of the psychology would tell us that young people, our orientation is actually to feel safe and protected by adults in our life.
Speaker 4: We don't want to misbehave quote unquote. He would argue that.
Speaker 1: The only reason why someone doesn't do the best they can is for one of two big categorical reasons.
Speaker 4: Number one, lagging skills. Number two unsolved problems. Lagging skills meaning I don't have.
Speaker 1: All the tools in my toolbox to behave in the way that you're asking me to behave Right now, I'm not well enough equipped to show up into this scenario with all the right tools to actually engage in whatever that is kindness. As an example, Number two unsolved problems would be that we have things going on in the background that affect the foreground. Whether that is individual trauma, whether that's intergenerational trauma, whether that is community trauma, whether that's stemic oppression, whatever. Those other things happening in our life, whether they are bigger than us or whether they're internal to our own lived experience, those background things, we know they affect the foreground all the time. My offer in response to your question is to change doctor ross Green's quote from kids do well when they can do people will do well when they can My argument with that, like, the only reason why we wouldn't offer each other kindness is I don't know how, or I have other things happening in my life that make it really hard for me to show up in kindness.
Speaker 4: In this moment.
Speaker 2: Wow, So do you think you can become more practiced at kindness?
Speaker 3: Then? Is it something you can learn?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I Actually my philosophy would be that kindness is an outcome. It's an output and determined by a whole lot of inputs. The kindness is a behavioral action that we take in the world that is informed by a lot of social and emotional skills that are operating the background. Right, my emotional intelligence is going to inform my behavioral action or what I would call like my character, the way that I show up in the world for myself and other people around me, And so to get better at something like kindness the output, I think it's really important to think about the inputs, what's happening in the background that shapes my behaviors in the foreground. For example, have I been trained or taught or practiced emotional regulation? As an example, do I know, like when I'm feeling big feelings, which a lot of things in the world can create big feelings in my life, do I know how to apply them in kindness in the world.
Speaker 4: Anger is a great example.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of adults in this world who are really good at math or science or English or history, but like don't know how to regulate their emotions when they're experiencing anger, they don't show up in kindness. I would also offer that anger can actually have huge implications to kindness. Anger is a motivating emotion, and if I know how to regulate it correctly. It can make me really a passionate advocate in kindness for others, But that's a skill. Emotional regulation is something that the science would tell us we can teach. One vehicle to that, for example, is emotional awareness. Do I know how to name my feelings when I'm feeling them. Another vehicle for that, or potentially related to that, is mindfulness, right taking time to slow down my mind enough to understand what I'm feeling in any given moment, as opposed to making myself busy being busy all the time. Talk about a whole other category like Another input to kindness would be empathy. Do I understand what people need around me from their perspective and not just my own. If I'm not able to effectively understand or unpack people's needs, I would argue that kindness gets really hard because I can practice kindness to you in a way that I think you need it, but that doesn't guarantee that I'm actually helping you along the way.
Speaker 2: Right as I was looking this up, some of the things that fell under emotional social learning were empathy, as you mentioned, good listening skills, generosity, helpful, curious, caring, nurturing, engage in perspective taking, which I don't know what that means, but it was interesting to kind of unpack what would fall under, like how do we get to kindness? Because it for me this was like a label that felt up to So thank you for clearing that up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the words you offered are I would say, categorically representative of empathy. And my friend Barbara says, empathy gives kindness. It's why I think empathy is actually like probably the most important ingredient that lives behind the scenes when it comes to practicing kindness. And empathy is another one of those words that gets thrown around a lot but is misunderstood, partially because it actually involves a lot of different components. A guy named doctor jimil Zaki out of Stanford. He wrote a book called The War for Kindness. He says empathy is an umbrella term that captures three big skills in our.
Speaker 4: Life, sharing, thinking, and caring. Sharing.
Speaker 1: We could think of as like the emotional side of empathy. Do I understand what you're feeling? Do I feel what you feel? Can I feel alongside you? And it's actually the most like naturally inborn thing that we have. We laugh at babies. Babies tend to smile and laugh back at us. We're always looking to repeat or experience other people's emotions, and particularly people who would be impaths are like really sensitive to that to be kind of exhausting sometimes to constantly tap into that. The second one would be thinking. It's like the cognitive side of empathy. Perspective taking, as you offered organizationally in my company called character Strong, we actually reframed perspective taking. We call it perspective getting because taking implies I get just just to stand where I'm at and like take from things around me. Getting implies work, which is what I think perspective getting actually is. It's like going out and listening. Really understanding a different perspective than your own. Requires me to be vulnerable, requires me to be humbled, requires me to engage with people who are different than me. It requires me to not always to want to be right all the time, which is something really hard to deprogram in our society. So there's sharing, the emotional side, thinking, the cognitive side, and the caring, which is the kindness side. It's how we operationalize sharing and thinking into action. It's saying, Okay, now that I have a sense of how you're feeling, and now that i'm like trying to see the world through your eyes to recognize that your needs might be different than mine, I'm going to do something to alleviate your suffering. It's how empathy translates into compassion. It's how we suffer alongside people and then use whatever resources we can to alleviate pain, because it is entirely possible, as I think probably every person on this planets it experience at one point in another to hurt, for someone to feel bad, for someone to even understand why they're hurting.
Speaker 4: And still do nothing to help.
Speaker 1: That's where compassion or empathy turns into kindness, and I think that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: So I love your book so much, and I read a lot of books, and I always think if if I'm not hooked in the first three pages, it's hard for me to get into it. The beginning story in your book is so good, and it's an offshoot of what you just said. I was hoping you could share it with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we learned best through stories. Yeah, that's why I love being a theater major. I was never very a very good actor, But I believe deeply in sharing stories on any sort of platform in a way that invited other people in to recognize how whatever this story is intersects with yours. Maybe you're like me and you've been on an airplane before in the middle seat. It's my least favorite seat on any public transportation. I'm claustrophobic, called the hot dog seat because people's buns are on the other side of me. And I remember this particular day, it's now a decade ago in my life, where this woman shows up and has a seat next to me. And maybe you've been in the situation where someone wants to talk to you and you are not in the mood to talk. That's what this woman did this day. She tapped me on the shoulder, took out a headphone, which was intentionally in to prevent this exact scenario. I was like, can I help you. She's like, my name is Helga. I was like, this is not how I was intending to help you.
Speaker 4: It's just by engaging in small talk.
Speaker 1: I believe in kindness, so I was like trying to show up in that moment, and she starts asking me all kinds of questions. At some point she asked me what I did for work, and I explained that I worked in schools. Talking about kindness, she got very serious and told me the story of how the last time she was on an airplane before her and I ever met, was three years prior, when she'd woken up in the morning and gotten a phone call from her dad that her dad was headed. Her dad's doctor explaining that her dad was headed to the hospital. They didn't live in the same state, which meant that Helga. Helga had to get on a plane to fly from Washington to Arizona, and when she sits down on the plane to take off to see her dad, she gets the phone call that he's passed away. I'll never forget Helga telling me this story and explaining to me that she was on her way to go and see him, when then she learned that she lost him, And then she was surrounded by strangers on a plane for three hours. It's a lonely flight. She lands in the airport, she walks to the nearest wall. She falls down. She said, have you ever gotten new so bad? Your body stops working right. She put her head her hands and she wept, and she explains that for two hours. She sat there crying. I'll let you know, Helga has a good sense of humor. She goes, Houston. I should be clear, I'm not a pretty crier. I'm not a quiet crier. She goes, it's loud and it's aggressive. People noticed. She goes Houston.
Speaker 4: Two hours.
Speaker 1: If I had to guess, there's probably three thousand people in the airport around me going to their planes or getting off their planes. Used in two hours, three thousand people, not one, not a single person stopped.
Speaker 4: And she looks at me.
Speaker 1: She goes, you have no idea how much I could use in act to kindness that day. The thing she said next is really shaped, honestly, a lot of my career and a big part of the reason I wrote the book. She said, you know what I realized that day, and the airport is three thousand people walked by. It occurred to me that kindness isn't normal. It's not normal in our world to be kind. And I remember, and honestly, I sit with that question just about every day in my work, because I am fascinated in why why is it that if you were to ask any of the three thousand people in the airport that day. Do you believe in kindness? My guess is all three one thousand of them would tell you yes. Why is it then that all three thousand of them walked by an opportunity for it? Why is it when I ask myself the question would I stop?
Speaker 4: Which I do?
Speaker 1: Anytime I tell the story, it forces me to ask that question, what I stop today? And today my honest answer is probably know. And I feel like I have all kinds of quote unquote ballid excuses. Tired is the end of a long day. I have places to go, I have people to see. What if she doesn't want my help? But if I don't have anything that offered her, I got no energy in my tank, like there's any reason that I could offer to say no? But I think the story is important because it offers me a space to force myself into that self confrontation.
Speaker 4: Where's the gap? The gap between what I say I.
Speaker 1: Believe in and what I actually do, how I actually show up in the world. Because it's entirely possible to believe in a thing and not live into it. We do it all the time. The Greeks have a word for it. It's a crazia. Crazy translates to our weakness of will are knowing that something is important or right, and our decision not to do it anyways, And I feel frustrated that kindness is one of those things. And so my goal, my aim, and my work in the book and the work that I do in education, is to figure out how do we close that gap.
Speaker 2: I got really emotional when you told that story, and I got emotional when I read it. I'm still not sure why. I was trying to think about why.
Speaker 3: I think it's.
Speaker 2: Because I feel as if I am I'm only where I am in my personal life or my professional life because people showed me kindness. It's why the title of your book stuck out to me so much. It's such it's a value I hold. I think everybody has different values that they hold in a different order in their life based on their upbringing and what's important, and kindness is a value I hold really high up there. So I think that your movement of kindness should be up there with Brene Brown's movement of vulnerability. It is, it is the underpinning of so much. What do we do when we don't know how to be kind? When we don't know how to do the kind thing.
Speaker 4: A few reflections.
Speaker 1: One is I appreciate your invitation to explore why that that is an emotional story, not only for yourself but for other people. I think it's it's easy to walk past that as a simple like parable, as like why kindness is important, But I would offer that I think for a lot of people, we've all been some version of Helga. If you haven't been yet, I think we all will be, or we've been on the far side of that. We've been in an incredibly low or lonely moment and someone has offered us something in that moment that has made all the difference, has transformed or shifted your trajectory in some small way that over time was actually a really big way. What do we do when we don't know how to practice kindness in a moment, If that's where we're starting from, If that's like our first question, the invitation is to get curious, is to ask a lot of questions. A story that I think about often as it relates to empathy is the story of the Sandy Hook shooting. There's this moment of collective trauma in our country where literally we have children being shot at a school and in moments of trauma or tragedy, as we've seen now since George Floyd or what happened in Atlanta, when we see moments of hate lived out in really profound ways, we have a collective visceral response. Now there's a whole layer there to talk about, which is why we wait for trauma to happen until we come around it with kindness or generosity. But nonetheless, I think a lot of people do respond. People will have a genuine desire to help in moments of profound hurt.
Speaker 4: So many.
Speaker 1: In fact, when Sandy Hook happened shortly afterwards, people from all over the world wanted to offer kindness, so people sent stuffed animals teddy bears globally from all over the world because it was young people who'd lost their life, and it was so many teddy bears that the town of Newtown, Connecticut had to rent a twenty thousand square foot warehouse just to house all the inbound gifts. One of the people that helped run the candlelit vigil said that there were more stuffed animals present than there were people. And here's the quote that got me. He said, you know, a teddy bear is great, but a teddy bear doesn't pay for counseling, and a teddy bear doesn't pay for a funeral.
Speaker 4: I remember reading that and thinking.
Speaker 1: To myself, how many times in my life if I wanted to give kindness but I never bothered to ask?
Speaker 4: What was the need?
Speaker 3: That's so important?
Speaker 1: It's huge and I think we've all lived it to some capacity. Right My mom stage four colon cancer a few years ago. She's currently cancer free, which is one of the best gifts of my life. But I remember watching people in her life want to help and not know what to do, and there were different versions of things that were more or less helpful. I guess some people would resonate with this, like when you're going through a really hard time, some people ask the question how can I help? And that actually puts the burden on the person who's actively hurting. Other people in my mom's life said, you know what, I'm making extra LASAGNI tonight. Is it okay if I bring some buy You know what, I hire this cleaner for four hours. I only need them for two. Can they come clean part of your house? And people who knew what my mom was navigating, who asked questions with curiosity and didn't put the burden of help on to my mom. We're so much more helpful now. Am I making a character judgment on the people that didn't have the right question? No, I'm offering it as an example of ways that we can all collectively close that gap, which is to get curious and say, is what I'm offering meeting a need?
Speaker 2: I like framing it that way because this, to me, at first, it felt.
Speaker 3: Like get specific. That specificity is.
Speaker 2: Helpful, but it's really more so about meeting the actual need. So how do we get there? It's three questions that's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Yeah, questions and reflection. Right if we asked the question before we've done the reflection. I think we have to hold in balance when we're putting more more responsibility on the person who's hurting than ourselves. First, So can I explore do you know we can talk about the whole conversation on social and racial justice happening in our country in the world right now, So people will go to a person of color and ask them to solve the problem for me, and that is not the way to be helpful, even though it's an earnest attempt to be helpful.
Speaker 4: The reality is I have.
Speaker 1: To first explore and unpack my own biases, my own role before I go and say, hey, how can I help?
Speaker 4: How can I help?
Speaker 1: And I think that like holding the balance of curiosity and self reflection is the first, like the highest level step is like that awareness that leads to curiosity, which leads.
Speaker 2: To action, the balance of curiosity and self reflection. That's important because I was also thinking about looking kind versus being kind, you know, like just to say how can I help, or like just to show up, so to speak, without truly understanding what somebody needs. Is more of a look versus a a verb of doing and being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, I mean doing and being is a big A big one for me is like what do we how do we embody the thing versus just act the part. And it's always that interesting relationship between the two because, as Will Durant says, we are what we repeatedly do. Excellencin is not an act but a habit. Yeah, I always cross that out. I like to edit quotes, I apologize, But like kindness is not an act but a habit, which is to say, Okay, if I do this thing today, it might be you know, that high level action that is that is maybe not intended for show, but show nonetheless if I don't follow it up and do something again the next day, my friend Dexter Davis says, we're not human beings, we're human becomings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're becoming that like paradigm.
Speaker 1: Shift in my head of like, to become kind requires me to repeatedly do kind things, and so giving myself a framework, system, a discipline, a practice to engage in that consistently is going to be a pathway that allows me to hold those things more imbalanced.
Speaker 2: What is one thing someone can do to be more practiced? I love solution oriented, Like what's what if we don't know? Because I feel like it's still a little up too. So where do we start?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is my jam, let's let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, good practical practical inspiration right, Like you're like with a bunch of motivation, but no application is just like good feelings and good ideas. I really think the first thing is to think about how we think about kindness. Right, So first, like determining in my brain, like why I care about this thing, why I believe in this thing, is always going to be like the motivating through line, and then it's to say, well, what does it look like to behave in kindness in the world. The metaphor I use in the book, it's a dumb one, but it sticks with me. It's like when you go to the cheesecake factory. The menu is so big that it's overwhelming. Too many choices, right, the paradoxic choice. Too many choices is like no choice at all. I remember wanting to the cheesecake factory.
Speaker 4: When I was little. I got the Chipotle chicken pasta.
Speaker 1: It was delicious, and so when I go back, I don't order it every time, but more often than not, I default to the choice that I made early on, because our brains crave routine. I think the same thing becomes true about kindness slowly over time, in large part because of all the cultural inputs that tell us what kindness is. I think we see that kindness is paying for the person's coffee in line behind you. I don't want to dismiss that as not kindness, because it happened to me the other day and it was a real daymaker. But I think that to say that that is the only version of kindness, or to get into the pattern of like that is like a Chipotle chicken pasta.
Speaker 4: I've ordered it one.
Speaker 1: So like, that's the thing I know is the hard part about making kindness a daily practice. What does it actually look like to integrate it into your life in a way that's non superficial or not culturally pop culturally provided.
Speaker 2: So in your book you call this confetti kindness versus deep kindness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, confetti kindness, which would be like that, like throw it around like confetti, a random act of kindness, which I don't mean to be dismissed above. I just don't think it's the type of kindness that moves the cultural needle forward. Right, those random smiles that pay it forward, coffee line, like helping the person across the street. Those things are are lovely, but they don't change broken systems.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: They don't heal trauma, they don't navigate complicated questions about justice, and they certainly don't heal like our most broken interpersonal relationships. So what does that look like to operationalize that in our lives? Well, I use it a strategy in my brain. I call it intersectional thinking, which is really just like thinking about a ven diagram that allows me to take a really big idea like kindness and make it specific. Right, give myself permission to constrain a huge abstract idea and put it through a really really small filter, Because that way I'm going to better meet needs. Like you said, I'm going to be able to get specific with it. So just to walk through this sexoncides really quickly, let me offer you a change of this question. What's one way I could practice kindness in my life today? Really big, a little overwhelming.
Speaker 4: I'll probably order the Chipotle chicken pasta.
Speaker 1: The different question is, Danielle, who do you think is someone in your life that you who comes to mind right away when I say someone you admire?
Speaker 3: Two people?
Speaker 2: One is a man named Steve at NBC and Sally Lou loveman in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Out of the two, is there someone that you feel I could use encouragement right.
Speaker 4: Now more than the other?
Speaker 3: Sally Lou Cool?
Speaker 1: Here'd be a question, what's the most meaningful thing you could do? What's an act of kindness you could do for Sally Lou that you could do in three minutes or less?
Speaker 3: Ooh, three minutes or less.
Speaker 2: I could send her an encouraging note and telling her how much she means to me and how much I admire her.
Speaker 4: You want to do it right now?
Speaker 2: No, but I think that would be probably like the only thing I could do minutes beside send a singing telegram or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would offer that one of the narratives we have to break out of in our culture is that time equals impact. That so much of our life gets rocked up into the narrative that productivity is impact, and that productivity requires time and tasks, stay in and day out. And I would offer that the three minute message you might send as Sally Lou might have more impact than the fifty emails that I have to get through after this call, right, And that I think we have to deprogram ourselves from the narrative that everything on my to do list has equal value in terms of how I want to show up in the world. So the way that I practice that in my life is every day Organizationally, even on our team, everyone writes out their workles. We all have our to do list, but at the top of our to do list, all of us write out a one item to B list.
Speaker 4: So who do I want to be today? Well, maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Healthy, maybe it's balanced. Maybe it's present, maybe it's grateful, maybe it's kind. But then the task is what does that look like today in however much time you have give yourself that constraint ten minutes are less, fifteen minutes or less, thirty minutes or less.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that exercise.
Speaker 1: And so we actually have to articulate that for ourselves and for our team. The way that we have disciplined ourselves to get better at that is every quarter we choose a word, so that every day, over the course of a quarter, we are articulating, Okay today, to be present, that means blink today.
Speaker 4: To be encouraging, that means blank.
Speaker 1: And so systems over goals, Yeah, Like, the more we can create systems allow for specificity to become the thing, the more likely that we actually live into the things we say we believe.
Speaker 2: That's incredibly important because every year, I think when people make New Year's resolutions or goals, the ideas are so wonderful, and it's how do you actually do that in practice?
Speaker 3: So systems over goals, that's wonderful. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be systems. It's a good, healthy challenge.
Speaker 1: And I think we all love to do lists because they're concrete, and we've been programmed in our culture to like we want things that are checkoffable, and so we know how to like get to inbox zero, we know how to finish this project proposal, we know how to put together these slides. But when we say, like what's on new to B list, kind that's it's not as checkoffable unless we give ourselves constrained thinking and say, well, what does it look like to do something today that lives into that and maybe it's with the same person for three months, And that's okay as long as we create small steps that drive us towards the becoming of the things that we say we value.
Speaker 2: You know, I always I recognize that the people that I admire most live their values when it's inconvenient to them, when they don't have time. They are still kind, like, you know, like when it because it's it's a lot easier to be nice and to be kind when you have time, right, So to do it repeat, they must be practiced.
Speaker 3: They are. They do it time and time again.
Speaker 1: So well said one of my favorite articles from the Wall Street Journal is are you as busy as you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: None of us are. T LDR we're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what if you were never again allowed to say I don't have time, but if you had.
Speaker 4: To say this is not my priority.
Speaker 1: So if I were to ever to say I don't have time for this person in my life or for kindness in my life, the argument would be just to change that, change the way you speak about it, to say, well, you know, my mom's not my priority today, or this my partner's not my priority today, or the practice of kindness is not my priority today. And sometimes that can be true. I'm not saying that that's never true, but to speak it like that consistently indicates to us that maybe we have a gap between what we say is important and what we actually do for ourselves in the world.
Speaker 3: Now I see why you are a motivational speaker.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're right, closing gaps for gaps and taking names. All right, Okay, so you said that deep kindness requires curage.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: I think that doctor Brene Brown, one of my heroes. You already dropped the name the revolution towards vulnerability, which I think vulnerability is the background to the foreground of courage, right, Courageous actions require vulnerability. Having worked with a lot of high school students I know that, like many of them, are on the cusp of cynicism. And I think cynicism happens when we feel overwhelmed by either too much to care about and so we don't know what to care about, or we've tried to care about stuff and felt like we weren't making a difference, and then it becomes easier to live into the narrative that it's just cool not to care, and so we allow ourselves to get busy when it's cool not to care, we allow ourselves to get complacent, or in the face of overwhelm or fear, probably the worst of all us, we allow ourselves to get apathetic. And I would suggest that the reason for a lot of that is because the more we care about something, the more we risk hurt on the far side of it. So when I care about giving something someone they need and I fail them in it, that hurts. When I care deeply about what's going on in our country right now, around what is happening to the Asian community in the United States, and I feel helpless, or I feel like I failed someone, or I feel like I don't know how to show up like the more I care, the more I risk feeling failure or hurt or rejection or embarrassment along the way. The more I use my voice to speak up about something that maybe's not popular.
Speaker 4: The more that people are going to criticize me and hurt me.
Speaker 1: And so most of us we've had moments of courage along the way, and we faced criticism, pain, shame, rejection, failure, and our brain is programmed to reduce pain in our life. And so every time that happens, every time we make a courageous choice and it hurts, if we're not really intentional about it, if we're not really clear about why we're doing the thing, then we're going to allow our behaviors to be dictated by the pain as a close to the purpose of the thing in the first place. And so kindness requires courage because most of the time acts of kindness are vulnerable.
Speaker 4: They are an action of caring.
Speaker 1: The more that I care, the more that it's going to hurt, and the more that it hurts, the more choosing it is the courageous thing to do.
Speaker 2: In your book, you have an entire chapter on forgiveness to me that requires courage. That's what I linked to it. Why did you include the idea of forgiveness in a book about kindness?
Speaker 4: It is the most understated partner in kindness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it has implications for both the receiver and the giver when it comes to kindness. I think that the action of as I would articulate it in the book, separating the person from the behavior, is an action of kindness. We can do bad things and not be bad people, and oftentimes a lot of those choices are dictated again by lack of tools in our toolbox or things that are happening in our life, many of those things potentially out side of our control. To be clear, that does not excuse the behavior. It just doesn't make the person on the far side of it unlovable. And forgiveness is the kind action to choose to see someone as lovable in spite of their painful behaviors. To clarify it ahead of time, because it's a pre correction I need. It does not mean what the thing they did was right. It doesn't mean they're allowed to do it again. And forgiving a person does not give them permission to cross whatever boundary you're setting in that moment. It's just telling the person that I love you in spite of the pain. I love you in spite of the hurt. In fact, I can love you from afar. We can never talk again, because that's a boundary I need in my life to keep myself safe, to keep myself mentally well or healthy. But I am releasing you from the narrative that you are bad. I'm releasing myself from the narrative that.
Speaker 4: I deserved it.
Speaker 3: That's big.
Speaker 4: Yes, I can say it real simply. It's not easy.
Speaker 2: In practice, it's not, but it's a you broke it down in a way that felt very digestible, so at least we can know it and think about it next time we feel like we need to give forgiveness or practice forgiveness.
Speaker 1: Right. Forgiveness is freedom right because it frees me from making the narrative personal all the time.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: I think the things that have hurt us the most we take deeply personally, when in reality it was a behavior that hurt us and not necessarily the person behind it. It's really hard to separate those two. But I think at some point along the way, we have all done hurtful things. It does not make us a hurting person. Now, I do want to qualify that statement with, like, there are things that people have done in people's lives that that exercise is not nearly as simple for or sometimes in some situations like not even acceptable for right. And I don't want to make the blanket statement that all people are easily forgivable or should be forgiven, particularly right away, or that like there isn't more bigger healing that needs to happen in order for us to enter into that space.
Speaker 4: But nonetheless, I would suggest that all people.
Speaker 1: On this planet, to some degree worthy of love, deserving of forgiveness, even if it means that they should never have that behavior again, even if they have ramifications right necessary consequences to those behaviors. I think that forgiveness is still one of the most kind things we can do for others in ourselves.
Speaker 2: So in prepping for this interview, I read an article. It was a twenty eighteen article title does it Pay to Be Kind?
Speaker 3: And I loved this idea.
Speaker 2: I want to talk it through with you because there's a term that or like a quote people say that nice guys finish last. It's always been one of my least favorite terms. I don't agree with it. I don't like when people say it. I don't even know where it came from. I think it's nonsense, and most research that I've read, actually all research that I've personally read, supports that kindness actually does pay, not just financially but also financially. It's said pro social behaviors increase happiness and self esteem, kindness leads to reductions and risks for disease.
Speaker 3: It even said that.
Speaker 2: When a doctor is kind to a patient, colds are shortened by a day. Like it has real impact. And I was wondering if you had any information to support that vices because I don't want to go against it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to offer two things.
Speaker 1: The first one is I am a big word person, and so I actually think that nice guys finished last might be a truism because I think there's a really strong difference between being nice and being kind. The difference in my mind, it was articulated to me by a high school student after I spoke at a school in Texas and he came down to talk to me and he said, you know, while you were talking, I realized I'm a really nice person.
Speaker 4: I was like, cool man.
Speaker 1: Kind of the point, you guys, no I realize I'm nice, but I don't think i'm kind.
Speaker 4: I was like, you got to unpack that for me.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, he goes. I think that nice is reactive. I think if it's a it's a if. If someone's nice to me, I might be nice back to them. If I like you, I'll be nice to you, he goes. But kindness, the way you talked about it today, to me, it sounds proactive, like I have to make a choice and I have to stick to it. I have to stand up for what I care about, even if it's uncomfortable or inconvenient, that I have to practice it in spite of what I'm feeling in a given moment, that even if I don't like you, I'm still going to show up and behave in a way towards you that is generous or compassionate or respectful. And this senior boy at high school in Texas, he starts to cry, is like this moment of like unexpected vulnerability. He goes, I realize that kindness requires work, and I think I have a lot of work to do. And I was like, me too, man, And these are the moments that I love about my job. When you get those insights that are so clarifying. Words matter. I think nice guys sometimes do finish last because they're wishy washy, because it's reactive, because it's unclear what they care about until it's convenient to them or until they benefit from it. I think kind guys finish first. Kind people have really strong boundaries. Kind people have very clear convictions and very clear purpose. They make decisions based on something that has been clarified for them or they've chosen to go through that process, and so I think people are drawn towards people who have clarity whatever that thing is. But kindness tends to be one that's generous. It's rooted in empathy, it's rooted in understanding, it's asking questions. But when it comes time to make a decision, whether it's inconvenient or not, they're going to go forward with that thing with purpose and conviction. And I think people are drawn to that. So I think nice guys I don't know if they should finish last. I think they do naturally because people want people who are clear.
Speaker 3: That's such a good distinction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice versus kind is such a big When I speak at schools, I can speak for an hour and I'll tell stories and I like, work really hard on this whole thing, and I'll weave that in and it's like a two minute part of my talk. I will ask kids afterwards, like, what do you remember though, like nice versus kind? Nice versus kind? Like anything else from that hour? Like and not really nice versus kind? So that one sticks. That one's like an important I think we crave distinctions, right because words.
Speaker 4: Words play such a big deal in our in our mind.
Speaker 1: We like we don't always realize it because we take them for granted, but they shape the way we experience emotions, the way we process color and sound, the way we make decisions, the way we do mental.
Speaker 4: Math, the way we read.
Speaker 1: Like, words play a huge role in our life, and so the way we think about a word, it's going to have a huge role in how we act with it in the world. So knowing the difference between nice and kind allows me to more clearly say, am I being a kind person today in my life?
Speaker 4: In this relationship? What does that actually look like?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I think on the flip side, we also think, well, maybe I shouldn't do that because it's not nice, And there's a huge distinction, And so knowing that also allows you to move forward and be kind because kind people have boundaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brene Brown was a bringer back.
Speaker 1: She says, the most compassionate people in our research are the most boundary, meaning that they are very clear on what they say yes and no to, which means when they do things that are kind, it is rich with true generosity instead of obligation. Yeah, it's a big difference between the two of those. And if we can get clear on what is okay and what's not okay, that shows up in the things that we say say yes and no to. That shows up in the way we draw boundaries. That shows up in how clearly we articulate our needs or deliver on other peoples, and doing things from a generous disposition instead of a state of obligation. We've all felt that, we have felt when people are doing something just because they have to, versus someone who truly wants to serve or love or give to you in that moment, Fully, I deviated from the original question does it pay to be kind? I accidentally spoken Alaska a few years ago, and it was hilarious because it was a safety conference. Because I worked in schools, I thought it was a school safety conference. I learned the night before that it was a like Alaska's state safety, which is like, it's all the people who are in charge of making people don't get injured or die on the job, and Alaska is like the most dangerous state in the country to work. And I was like, I have to rewrite a lot of my talk, and so I did. The night before I remember listening to a podcast called Invisibilia, great NPR podcast.
Speaker 4: It talks about the invisible things that control our.
Speaker 1: Lives, and one of them was a story about Exxon building the largest, like by a scale of four x oil rig and it was called URSA, and they brought in a consultant because oil rigs and that line of work is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world. And one of the reasons it's dangerous is because the culture internal to that company, to that job for so long is that we don't ask for help. That the masculinity and the lens at which they view that work is we don't ask for help because it's weak, because it's soft, because I should know what to do. All those narratives, and the consequence by the way of not asking for help in some of those situations for some people is actually dying. So I thought about that example, and they brought in this leadership coach. It's eccentric frenchwoman I believe, who did vulnerability and empathy coaching with all of the managers across this rig to the point.
Speaker 4: Where grown men.
Speaker 1: I remember this part really clearly, was they were being asked to wash their other counterparts like other men in the organization, other managers their feet, and one gentleman like forgot who he was because this behavior was so far outside of the context that he'd grown up in. So I'm really like profound and like over multiple months like talking and unpacking empathy and the stats on the far side of all of this, like empathy coaching, this kindness coaching, this vulnerability coaching, was that injuries dropped eighty six percent and productivity doubled. I like to say that kindness is one of the most It's not just like a nice to have, it's a necessity. I think it's one of the It is the through line that is perhaps the most important foundational thing we can do organizationally to create a space where people feel safe asking for help. Greate a space where people offer and enjoy and find, you know, find that joy.
Speaker 4: In serving others to offer that help.
Speaker 1: And what happens when we create a culture where that's real is people feel okay asking those questions, People feel okay to show up and give help to others.
Speaker 4: And in this line of work, it costs people literal lives.
Speaker 1: But in other lines of work, you know, it has all kinds of implications, whether it's from productivity to burn out to motivation and all the things in between. It absolutely pays to be kind.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that. I love that you agree with the article.
Speaker 1: I would not disagree with that research. That's good research in my world.
Speaker 2: The other there, I'm not a social scientist, but I'm going to agree with that. Okay, So we do a little rapid fire at the close of every interview. What is one book that changed your life that you think everybody should read?
Speaker 4: On being Nice by the School.
Speaker 3: Of Life Wonderful.
Speaker 2: I do a pretty smart question, so I pick one of fifty two cards at random. You got what is your favorite smell?
Speaker 1: M When I walk into the kitchen when I'm visiting my mom in Maine, and I know that for a few hours beforehand, she started making my favorite meal, which is shrimp pasta. Started early in the morning and it'll simmer all day. And the anticipation of that meal at night.
Speaker 2: That sound you're making me hungry.
Speaker 4: I'm wungry myself. Now.
Speaker 3: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 4: Deciding not to do this work alone?
Speaker 3: H that's nice.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you, Houston, I threw a lot at you. I didn't give you an outline. You didn't know what I was going to ask you. You really had a lot of information to share. I'm so grateful that you shared it with me and for your time.
Speaker 3: All Right, today is a good day. To have a good day.
Speaker 2: I'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah,