Speaker 1: Hey, the folks. It is Thursday, June and twelfth day twenty two officially in the fifth week of the Didy trial. Welcome to this episode of Any and TJ. We continue to be your one stop shop for all things did He trial to get you caught up on the latest, and we are recording this robes on this day twenty two and as of this recording, testimony hasn't started yet, and it was supposed to start a couple of hours ago. We need to start with whatever this is going on in court this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for everyone to know.
Speaker 3: The judge called back the attorneys for both sides into his chambers and there's been a lot of back and forth. The courtroom's buzzing, and the reporters who are inside that Lower Manhattan courtrooms say, no one knows what's going on. They're trying to read Ditty's facial expressions, his lawyer's facial expressions. But there's some issue that has not been resolved yet, and it appears to be something different than whether or not this juror that we've talked about is going to be allowed to continue in this trial.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it hasn't been resolved. It hasn't been made clear at all exactly what this particular issue is to again, to go back every single day courts supposed to start at nine am. Usually they have them come in a little early to get some of the house keeping out of the way so they can stay on schedule. So as we sit here recording this, we are a couple of hours I mean, we're creeping up on lunchtime here shortly, and they have not started testimony in the courtroom. So from the reporters in the room they're telling us they came in, there's been at least two, do I have it right, closed door meetings with attorneys and the judge in his robing room chambers as we call it, But that's happened at least twice, and one of them went for a.
Speaker 3: Little bit correct And so some of the reporters in the room are describing Diddy as initially visibly upset, very animated, talking with his lawyers, passionately, they say, as his lawyers stood sober face and attentive. And then we just got another report saying that Diddy's lead attorney just made a Usain Bolt style arm gesture in the courtroom, and the defense attorneys are laughing and Combs cracked a smile.
Speaker 2: So we it's like they've gone.
Speaker 3: Through a gamut of emotions up and down, and no one really understands what the issue is.
Speaker 1: It seemed to be you said it a moment ago, different from the other issue we were expecting to hear from the juror. So this one seems to be directly related to Jane, who has been testifying. She's up what's sixth day now, this.
Speaker 2: Will be her sixth full day of testify, that full day.
Speaker 1: Of testifying, so we're waiting to get her back up on cross examination nation she was supposed to finish today. Now we're all getting an update from the courtroom right now, Folks will getting this in live time or real time as we're talking to you about it. But it appears that Jane is now returning to the stand a couple of hours behind schedule. We'll wait to see if we get any clarity on what that issue was. But the issue Robes we thought the judge needed to address was about the potential of kicking one of the jurors off this jury.
Speaker 3: That's correct, So we were expecting a ruling from the judge today.
Speaker 2: The prosecutors want.
Speaker 3: The government wants this juror to be removed in an alternate to take his place. The defense wants this juror to stay. And at issue is, again, this is vague, but we've been told that this juror has not been forthcoming, or at least that's what the prosecutors say, that he hasn't or wasn't forthcoming.
Speaker 1: Lack of candor.
Speaker 3: They lack of candor, And so Ditty's team called this investigation into the juror a thinly veiled effort to dismiss a black juror. Because this particular juror is a forty one year old man from the Bronx who works at a corrections facility and enjoys nineteen nineties hip hop. That's what we know of this juror.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't want to stereotype him, but they for some reason think he might be a fan Diddy. They think maybe he was.
Speaker 2: I don't know where you could get that from.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a Again, we don't want to jump to any conclusions, but remember it was a few weeks ago Diddy was it moniged the judge for gesturing too much in the direction of a particular jury got on doom set out remove you from the courtroom if you do that again. And now there seems to be a debate, yes, about what to do with this jury. And that's the thing we thought we were going to get an update on. I thought it was about all this. I thought the back and forth was about that. Apparently it wasn't this morning. So two issues need to get worked out. But Jane has returned to this stand yes.
Speaker 3: And we understand from folks in the courtroom that Jane is expected to cover the allegation that she suffered multiple injuries in that big fight in the summer of twenty twenty four where she after that fight, she says Colmbs did he told her to ice her bruises, put on lingerie and perform with the male escort. She's expected to be cross examined about that specific incident.
Speaker 2: And it was an emotional day for her yesterday.
Speaker 3: So she's been through the ringer seemingly, and there were questions as to whether or not she wanted to even testify again.
Speaker 2: It all today.
Speaker 1: You know what you make a I mean, just how gut wrenching some of this testimony is. Think of think, folks, what you've been doing for the past week. If every day for the past week you've had to sit in public in front of strangers and reveal the most intimate it may be embarrassing parts of humiliating.
Speaker 2: I would say, she's been.
Speaker 1: Sitting there doing that for the world to see for six days. Now, that has to take a hell of a toll. Of course, if she doesn't want to get back up there, I could imagine a lot of people would sympathize. But didn't you say she needs to be wrapped by today? What does this mean now with a two hour delay in testimony.
Speaker 3: They haven't reiterated or brought that back up again, But certainly that was a point last week that they made that she had somewhere she had to be internationally and she.
Speaker 2: Needed to leave this evening.
Speaker 3: So there certainly was an effort by the judge and by prosecutors to try and make sure her testimony was wrapped up by the end of court today.
Speaker 2: But this delay.
Speaker 3: Certainly is throwing a wrench into the system, I believe prosecutors so they also still have a few more people they'd like to call to the stand after Jane as well.
Speaker 2: They hope to wrap their case.
Speaker 3: They mentioned by next Wednesday or at least by next Friday.
Speaker 2: So that's a bit of the timeline.
Speaker 3: We don't know how much this delay is going to cause problems for Jane and for prosecutors, and the timeline altogether.
Speaker 1: It's every day, even when you think you know what's going to happen, because she's been up every day. So we've been talking. Okay, she's scheduled to be up at nine, she'll go through the day. We had it all worked out, and now a two hour delay for something that had to be significant. It had to be so important for these attorneys to be going back and forth to this degree. I cannot I am so anxious to hear what this potentially was about.
Speaker 2: And we don't even know if we will hear. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: We aren't sure what will be revealed to the public, to members of the media who were there in the courtroom or not. We do know that, as I mentioned yesterday, Jane broke down crying multiple times on the stand, and specifically after reading a text message where she professed her love and she said that he didn't like being called her boyfriend. And so when she went through and as you pointed out, relived her feelings, and she says she still loves him. She said it several times throughout her testimony. I can only imagine that must have been gutting for her to have to say her own words of love and adoration for this man who now stands on trial for some of the most horrific things possible.
Speaker 1: And so why is that all important?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 1: Yes, the defense is trying to show that this young lady was a willing participant. She was at times an enthusiastic participant. She was also a participant that had choice and made choices and what escorts they were going to use and where they were going to go. So this is not a woman the defense is trying to establish who was sex trafficked. She went willingly to these places, She benefited from this. They showed about gifts she got that she likes. She got jealous when another woman might have gotten something. So all of this is to tear away at this idea that sex trafficking. Was Jane sex trafficked if she willingly participated, where's that line right between coersion and consensual.
Speaker 3: Well, and we got so many more details yesterday during cross examination. We were reading them in real time and then just going over them. It's it's phenomenal. And again I keep saying mind blowing and jaw dropping that after six days on the stand, five full days of testimony, we already know of that each day there'd be new revelations. And among the details we heard from her yesterday, there was about a two month stretch that the defense was able to point out where Jane and Diddy just had a normal relationship, as much as that could be described as normal.
Speaker 2: There weren't any freak offs.
Speaker 1: An take out the freak offs, and it's a normal relationship, you know, like.
Speaker 3: The rest of us, normal problems, normal sex, Okay, all right, But they were trying to point out that it shows they did have a personal, genuine, one on one relationship outside of these accusations of coercion and abuse and sex trafficking.
Speaker 1: Can you be partially sex trafficked? Like could? For three months I was being sex trafficked, and then the following two months I wasn't, but I willingly went with the guy who sex trafficked me.
Speaker 3: That's obviously sowing massive seeds of doubt injurers' minds. I would think when they're able to point it out and have her confirm that she also talked about some of the things she did to prepare for the freakoffs, and that would, of course also point to her willingness to be involved, to prepare, to purchase, to arrange, and coordinate the freakoffs before they happen. That doesn't sound like someone who's co worst. She would buy matching shorts for Diddy and the male escorts he hired. Why did we need to know that?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure those brilliant defense attorneys think that detail is important for some reason. Again, it's an odd one.
Speaker 3: But did he wanted matching shorts with darts male?
Speaker 1: According to this witness's.
Speaker 3: Testimony, yes, Did they say what the matching shorts looked like?
Speaker 1: Well, they liked to role play with playing basketball players. Maybe they were uniforms. Just making that up.
Speaker 3: I have no idea that would be so disturbing Jersey long basketball shorts.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't need that.
Speaker 1: Visual effect thing. You remember Kobean?
Speaker 2: How could I forget?
Speaker 3: He was Michael Jordan, Paul was Shack and Jane was Kobe. Right, Okay, I'll never forget that actually, as much as I might want to. All Right.
Speaker 2: She also bought Rhino erection pills. I didn't even know that that was a thing.
Speaker 1: They said, you can get these just at the countertop at a like a truck stop type thing. Given all the drugs they talk about they had, I mean, that seemed like there was a better option for Diddy. He knew how to get some quality prescription stuff if he wanted to. That seemed rhino erection pills.
Speaker 3: But they said that, And this was again building the case that she participated willingly, that she actually purchased these rhino erection pills so that she wouldn't have to spend as much time getting the guys aroused and perhaps even saying aroused it mate, it meant less work for her and the pill could do the bidding instead of her.
Speaker 1: But to your point, she did that on her own, for herself, for her own benefit. Again, it's why we need to hear about that, because it's making the point and showing that she was a willing, a conscious, consensual participant in some of these things.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then also we learned that did he spent fifteen thousand dollars to throw Jane a birthday party that he didn't even attend, but just some of the gifts some of the money that he gave to her just because not because of a freak off, not because of what she was supposed to do, but apparently because he was being a nice boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Again, they keep showing how the nice moments and the nice things he did for her along the way, the tender moments. Look, I don't think anybody after seeing some of this stuff jumps to the conclusion, Oh, he really is a nice guy. They're not saying that, but they're just trying to sew a little doubt in somebody's head on that jury. And apparently the prosecution might think it's working that he's getting through to some jur that maybe they can tell in some why is a jury? I've only seen this in movies for the most part, right where the defendant kind of flirts with some jur a little bit or something like that.
Speaker 2: That just does wouldn't think anybody would dare do that.
Speaker 1: It doesn't happen in real life. It just does not happen. We've covered trials for decades, never seen anything like this once. So something might must be working in the defense line of questioning of these women. You're just so a little doubt and I show a different size.
Speaker 3: I know, and I'm amazed that Diddy is, and this is his defense team leading her into these details that I would imagine he would think are humiliating, and he wouldn't want people to know. His mom's in the room, his children are in the room, the world is watching, and yet his life is on the line. So I'm assuming he's saying, hey, I'll get humiliated, I'll get embarrassed. Fine, people will know all of these bizarre and sortid details about what I like. And even if that means I like men, it's better than being in prison for the rest of his life. That is what the stakes are at this point. So I mentioned when Jane broke down and was crying this text of love that she had written to Ditty, But man, I think we should read the actual text because it's powerful. Again, I'm imagining being a juror and hearing all I've heard and then hearing this text that she wrote, Ditty. The fact that you are the reason for my child's joy is a feeling inside me. I can't explain I love you so much as my friend, my lover, my boyfriend, even though you don't like that word.
Speaker 2: That's powerful.
Speaker 1: I meanfore the jury, Is it not. Yes, it sounds like a woman in love. That sounds like a woman who understands what she's getting from the relationship and appreciates what she's getting from the relationship. Look, you say all the time about the notes that sometimes saw the text messages that some of the alleged victims wrote in real time three four, five, eight years ago, said those are a good indication of where their heads were at the time. Is this yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, she texted him, you are truly a blessing in my life. I have never had a man take care of me like you do. It's hard to argue against her own words. She also told Diddy she was having so much fun and would never take this for granted and will always make sure you are taken care of. Again, that is tough. That is really tough to have those texts be read and heard and understood and verified by her and then believe that she was also coerced and forced to do things against her will.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, and when they do a redirect later on today, we'll come back and we'll sit down and say, Wow, prosecution made a really good point on that one, didn't they right? This is what they're supposed to do. Make you feel it's supposed to be a back and forth you're supposed to That means they're doing a good job of putting on their cases if this is happening. But she is again supposed to be done today. She is supposed to be done on the stand today, and she will have testified more than twenty plus hours. She's already done that at this point. So this might be the last day, the last time we hear from this young lady. And it has robed. It has been fascinating, gut wrenching as always, and it continues to be draw.
Speaker 3: Dropping, it does, and that juror does appear to continue to be among the jury, and so we still have not heard word as to whether or not he will be removed again. There are alternates there waiting and ready to step in in case that decision is made.
Speaker 2: And perhaps the judge is still weighing, and maybe he just.
Speaker 3: Took in or listened to the prosecution's desires and is still weighing whether or not he should allow that juror to continue. But certainly that drama has not been revealed yet in the courtroom, and we know that Jane will be on the stand for at least part of the afternoon.
Speaker 2: When did they break for lunch around like.
Speaker 1: Oh, they usually have been doing it right around lunchtime. He's kept the pretty well for one, yeah, and then they come back and they're out of there by three. That's what the day has been. Very few do not delay like the one we have seen today. Nothing to that significance. He's gone a little later on some days as well. I think he was trying to accommodate some witnesses on those days. But this is it's so much is at stake for them to take this much time on what seemingly was a minor matter, if you will, But it is monumental possibly, and I mean it is case shifting potentially when a man's like life is at stake. So yeah, they gotta get it right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, we will continue to update you on everything that's happening at that Lower Manhattan courtroom just a few blocks from where we're sitting right now recording this, and we want to thank you for listening. We hope to continue to be your one stop shop for all things Diddy during the Diddy trial, and.
Speaker 2: We hope to keep you informed as.
Speaker 3: Events inspire us to pick up the microphones and put another podcast out for you. But again thanks for listening everyone, and we hope you have a wonderful day today