Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you. I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions. iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, iHeart podcast, what Else? I heart what I heard, ice Cream, I what Else? I heart Coleslaw, heart Gilmore Girls, I heart Out. Yeah there we go. Uh fire up the fire up the legal apartment. We're sending in subpoenas. This is season six, episode thirteen, Friday Nights, all right for fighting. I am joined by my intrepid crew, the one and only Susanne French, the one and only Taras Suit, and the inimitable Amy Sugarman Gang. Let's talk about our event on January seventeen in Burbank, California, live from the iHeart Radio Theater, which actually stoked Johnny Carson's old sound stage. Isn't it's his studio.
Speaker 3: I actually I am very excited about it because I think the lineup is amazing. But I also like the secret sort of bells and whistles we have that people don't know about yet. I kind of revealed it's going to snow, but there's.
Speaker 1: Keeping stuff from me too. Write you're not obviously.
Speaker 3: I am, of course, because I want people to like realize they're coming in it's not just like what they're going to see on stage.
Speaker 2: It's all the things that are going to be in the whole theater.
Speaker 3: And the coolest thing is like it's our theater, so we can do whatever we want with it.
Speaker 1: One thing I've learned about Amy is that she's got some aces up her sleeve at all times.
Speaker 2: I try.
Speaker 1: There might be a full deck of ass up there.
Speaker 3: And they'll get you know, everyone's going to get the photos they want, They're going to get the merged they want, They're gonna get all the Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be just a just a Wonderland of Gilmore celebration. It's gonna be like a Gilmore Amusement park with live people.
Speaker 2: Thousand percent.
Speaker 3: I think it would be such a good Christmas gift if I got this as a Christmas gift, tickets to this show and like either you know, with the DVDs or maybe like you know, a Gilmore Girls book or right or merge like that would be yeah, an amazing Christmas gifts.
Speaker 2: Like a gift whatever.
Speaker 1: Gets you get my uh my phone is filled with text messages hit me up for tickets. It's just spilled. And that's like I have. I have as many requests as there are seats, and I'm like texting the back guys. I can't have like everybody in the audience, like my friends and family. I can't do that.
Speaker 2: You know, I have the same thing happening right right right. It's funny, Like people love this show, they really do.
Speaker 3: And thank you to the people that said nice things about the lineup being awesome, because we agree, like we've got something for everybody in the guests. And also, I will say, your castmates they all said yes, like right away, like we sent the emails and within minutes they all said yes, like they love you, they love each other, and they love the fans.
Speaker 2: It's like, and I was so nice.
Speaker 1: We have so many high powered, highly charged, magnetic personalities coming on that we had to book somebody that could calm it all down. So we got Sebastian bach quiet on assuming Charlyn he's there, you know, so he's going to help out balance that out. No, it's very exciting. Go to veeps, dot events, backslash, I H and M hyphen all hyphen in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make sure if you want the live ticket, it says like to go to the live show, click here, and then you have to come here.
Speaker 2: So yes, we're making here. Yeah, we're making you work for it a little bit.
Speaker 1: You gotta find it. But that's that's like on the IT side, and that's kind of how it came out. And Amy, you said you've been talking to him about a little bit make it easier.
Speaker 2: But that's yeah, we're gonna and we're going to keep giving you little hints of all the surprises that will be happening there.
Speaker 3: And oh my gosh, somebody is coming from South Carolina. I saw like people are coming from far away.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, now they're going to travel awesome.
Speaker 2: You won't be disappointed. It's actually gonna be.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to meet I can't wait to meet people in the meet and greet. I love that stuff. I love meeting the fans. It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to go to Dosi's Market because we're going to have a Doses market in there.
Speaker 1: I might we might have it out in there. I'll tell you there could be raves in there.
Speaker 3: I know Doc's Market is not is prominent in this episode.
Speaker 2: But Taylor's window to the diner.
Speaker 1: Maybe that might go in my number one scene of the six seasons. That was the funniest. See how great Sally Strothers is. She comes in and just kills it.
Speaker 3: So I also agree there's a scene in this episode that might be the best of all six seasons, but it's a different scene in this episode, to me, is one of the best episodes in the whole series.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, do you know which one I'm talking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I don't. I'm gonna take off the headphones. I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: No, you're gonna find out this hour.
Speaker 1: I know. Oh really from this episode.
Speaker 2: From this episode, I thought.
Speaker 1: You liked the Preston Sturgis Scorsese John Frankenheimer thing at the end. Yeah, you love that.
Speaker 3: I love the way Kenny Ortega directs your show, Like every time he is involved.
Speaker 2: Episode is amazing. Actually retired.
Speaker 4: I actually went back to like double check it was Kenny, because the second I saw that scene, I was like, this feels like a Kenny directing scene.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's like, wait, who's responsible for this?
Speaker 2: He doesn't really get a enough credit. I mean, maybe he doesn't. I'm just like clueless, but like high school musical is amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's kind of a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yes, books, hocus Pocus?
Speaker 2: Did he direct Hocus?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You didn't know that. Oh my gosh, I did not.
Speaker 3: I discover things he directed like all the time, and I'm always sort of shocked.
Speaker 4: Descendants hocus Pocus worst Descendants.
Speaker 2: That that makes perfect?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, he was fun. He's fun on set. He's really yet, he's you know, he's crisp and he's really got his act together. His great No, you know, he speaks the language of theater, so it's easy to yeah, have a have a have a dialogue with him. So and he doesn't make you speak terribly fast when you're talking to him. So that's relief. What are we gonna do? You want to?
Speaker 4: You want to?
Speaker 1: You want to get rocking and rolling?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, so yeah, Tara Tara Tarah, thanks Suzanne's doing and does it from her car today? He got a work mobile.
Speaker 6: Synopsizing Today, Season six, episode thirteen, Friday Nights all Right for Fighting aired on January thirty first, two thousand and six. Emily and Richard find out about Christopher paying for Yale and don't take it well at all, but they end up gathering for Friday night dinner anyways, and it's a big fight. Luke and April are spending more time together without larele I. Meanwhile, Laurela I decides not to cancel everything after postponing the wedding with Luke, and Rory saves the Yale Daily News with the help of Logan.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, this episode is It was a good episode.
Speaker 2: It is so good.
Speaker 1: So many things to like about it, so many things to like about it.
Speaker 2: Especially especially my logan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now he was. I said to myself, if I had a daughter, I would want her to bring that man home with her if.
Speaker 2: He's so redeems himself in this episode.
Speaker 3: And people can fight me on it, but guess what, he's twenty years old.
Speaker 2: He's not going to be perfect, and he totally redeems himself.
Speaker 1: In ladies and gentlemen in the audience. We've strapped on the gloves. We're fighting for Logan now, so we begin.
Speaker 2: I was a little nervous with the opening, like what is she doing? Why is she seeking out? What's going on? Yeah, I'm kind of uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, what do you think of that? What do you think of the collision? What do you think of that? Well?
Speaker 2: Forced a little bit not your best body acting, but it was it was a little bit like big.
Speaker 1: God, I totally agree with you. I thought it was terrible, Bunny.
Speaker 2: It was not your best. The seem like that.
Speaker 3: That was sort of hard because it was like she's trying to be so sneaky and I was kind of nervous. And then you're like you don't really know that she's so bummed about postponing, and it's just like, oh no. And then there's the like you're trying to get up and be so sweet. I'm like, he's so sweet, weird, awkward, fake.
Speaker 1: Crash and the thing that she talked to me about it was like I didn't even know what the heck happened with the bad body acting. And and then I supposedly smash her in the nose somehow. Is this that, yes, she held her nose or mouth or something, or did.
Speaker 2: You mess that up? Like is that was that part of it that you were going to hurt her.
Speaker 1: Nose or did you Actually I'm taking the fifth on this. I I do not recall Senator for me pleaded the Fifth Amendment on this your.
Speaker 2: Face acting as oscar Worthy, your body acting is like kind.
Speaker 1: Of a body acting. I really just although.
Speaker 2: Your body acting with April was excellent, excellent sort of movement and sort of fatheriness this one. Yeah, there's something in this episode that I can wait to talk about.
Speaker 1: She's slapping pigs, she's milking cows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so random.
Speaker 3: And then like once she tells you what she's doing, then I wasn't as sort of irritated by it. I was like, oh, no, wonder she didn't want to tell them. She just got to go to the flower mart, and like the wedding's not even.
Speaker 1: Happening, right, exactly right?
Speaker 2: And then you were so you were I actually okay.
Speaker 3: I actually thought, other than your crash, you were better acting in this scene than Lauren. For some reason, Lauren didn't feel lower liash for a minute. Even a line hurts so good, mister Mellen, camp like felt a little forced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I feel like the first scene just didn't I don't know, it just got better from there, do.
Speaker 1: You know what I think it was? I think it was one of these situations where she probably felt too anchored in one place. What I mean and here's the thing. When you have that much work to do every single day, you get exhausted. Yeah, and then maybe once in a while, I just want to plant yourself. I don't want to move around. I don't want to do activities. I don't want to, you know, really, you know, act out this scene to its potential, because god darn it, I'm going to create all this coverage for myself, create all these camera angles, and they're going to have to do close ups here and close ups there. Oh interesting, it just takes so much longer to do it. So so every once in a while, when you're overworked and you're sort of dealing with it with your director in the rehearsal phase, you go, I feel good here. I just want to stand here and deliver. I think this is you know, and maybe I.
Speaker 2: Think if I think you're making an interesting call out, because I actually think if she was moving around, it might have been a little bit more real, because like right, because.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, if she was deflecting, deflecting and being nervous, she'd be moving around that room doing things. But I think but for whatever reason, you know, that wasn't going to happen, and so yeah.
Speaker 2: You were more natural because you were in bed waking up, although you were like awake.
Speaker 1: Talking to her and she shot up, right, so she was kind of manic moving around and didn't know how to really have this conversation and you know, just sort of telling me white lies all over the place. Then it would have been easier for me to execute a body acting maneuver like running into her because she'd be a moving target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you're not going to crash into a hole.
Speaker 1: Right, Is the fact that she was stationary made it awkward?
Speaker 2: Right? Because that's less like right, that's a good note, Like there's something about the scene that's great and something about it that isn't as great.
Speaker 1: I can't remember too static.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's here. I think there's another bedroom scene where we see the bathroom, which I have some comments on. I think that comes later where we really see the full bathroom, which is quite large and beautiful.
Speaker 2: But I have a one criticism of that bathroom later. Okay, so now comes my biggest question for you, Scott and possibly Suzanne. We go to Libby's Flowers. We're at the flower mart. Laura lies in her beanie puffer and Suki's in a great floral jacket with a scarf. What's with the green tape?
Speaker 1: The green tape on the scarf.
Speaker 2: There was a green tape on the scarf, and Laura I has green tape on her white puffer.
Speaker 1: God that says that probably says Sukie on it. That's the wardrobe department forgot to take it off, and.
Speaker 2: They got to take it off. Lauren, I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think it's the the flower market, ah sometimes, but sometimes I think it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's supposed to be.
Speaker 6: I think it's diligence on the part of the prop department to make it look like they were actually at a flower market.
Speaker 2: That's, oh my gosh, Suzanne.
Speaker 1: Here I am throwing the wardrobe department under the bus and they're actually doing extra work to make this believable.
Speaker 2: I for sure thought I was with Scott. This is some sort of an error, This is some sort of.
Speaker 3: A green screen they have to have in rehearsals.
Speaker 2: Suzanne, I didn't because they.
Speaker 6: I think if it was, if it was a wardrobe mistake, it would be weird that they did it twice, like bread on.
Speaker 2: Both exactly.
Speaker 5: Flowers.
Speaker 1: Why couldn't it be green flowers with a logo on it FM flower Mark? You know, why can't it be that? Then we know for sure what it is exactly.
Speaker 2: It was so true. So who's been to a flower Mark? I've never been to a.
Speaker 4: Flower I have, but I don't remember getting like a stick or anything.
Speaker 1: Well that's small town Connecticut, you know, That's that's what they did. Because people just can randomly walk in. Why would you? I guess you have to pay to get.
Speaker 6: In or because they're like they're the wholesale market, so you pay like an admission and then you Mike, I have a family member who used to do wedding flowers and she had a wholesale license, and so it was like that kind of thing, like you'd have to show that you're I don't I don't know that Suki and Laurel I would have had to do it. But they charged admissions because you're getting a discounted price, and then you have to.
Speaker 2: Reddit agrees that many people were befuddled and felt like you and I and Tara did Scott like, oh, there's some sort of a error.
Speaker 3: But yet the other half of Reddit is with Suzanne and correcting it.
Speaker 2: He's saying it's an entrance to the flower mart. So funny.
Speaker 3: Wow, and thank you Reddit for having a dialogue about this exact topic.
Speaker 1: She's got cold feet in the flower marks. She got to put some socks on.
Speaker 3: So the green tape was distracting me. But I'm glad she told Suki. I couldn't have gone on longer on that one either.
Speaker 6: I felt bad for her when she said the wedding's been postponed, and Suki immediately launches into oh no, what did you do? Like, yeah, she automatically La, she looked a little sad about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was That's what I would have said too. Well, no, it's not a Sueri.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, her history and stuff I think Suki was it was fifty to fifties.
Speaker 2: She was either right or wrong. Kay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's understandable why she said it. But I still felt kind of bad for Laura because.
Speaker 2: She don't feel bad for Laura like so many times in this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she comes you know, he has a kid, Luke has a kid. I felt worse when Suki made it about herself.
Speaker 1: For I was just about to say, I was like, what is this tangent. You know, your friends in pain, she's in flames. Helped put her out. She's feeling burned here, and let's apply some aloe here instead of talking about your the possibilities that Jackson could have an illegitimate kid walking around.
Speaker 2: He has a set back.
Speaker 1: There's no such thing as an illegitimate kid. There just aren't. They're all legitimate.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yeah, she really kind of made it about herself, and that was sort of like, really, like, I get it, that would be your first reaction was like, oh.
Speaker 2: If this happened, elude, could this be everybody?
Speaker 3: Then I actually felt, I don't know what the word is when Laura lies like maybe I should not cancel everything, and that that was very like I think that was very genuine and vulnerable and how I would be too, like, oh, maybe this is going to work out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's starting out, you know, with a little bit of I don't know, it's a little tragic, it's a.
Speaker 2: Little sad, it's a lot of sad.
Speaker 1: It didn't It didn't hit me until I saw Luke and April in the diner through the tailor's window that I realized that, you know what, probably not a bad ideata post pump. Yeah, I stand now. I understand how he's got to get to know his kid. This is priority. Right now.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I think postponing is the right thing to do. Yeah, because it's.
Speaker 3: No different really than Loralai not wanting to set a date till she was right with Rory. Yeah, and Luke really it hurt him. That hurt him, let's admit it. But he went along with it and was supportive. And I think she's trying to do the same thing. But I don't see how you suddenly have I mean, I get it six months away, but still.
Speaker 2: I would probably postpone too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, her anxiety stems from the fact that, you know, like she said, he could wake up tomorrow and he could wake up at six months and change his mind. You know, she's a little anxious about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the right She's anxious.
Speaker 1: She's anxious now. Yeah, tables have turned a little bit, you know, it's on it. You know, it's just sort of how life plays out at times.
Speaker 2: So and she's trying hard to sort of do the right.
Speaker 1: Thing, right right. Yeah, she's muddling through the days.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, trying to.
Speaker 1: Get through the day and do her job and be the fiance.
Speaker 2: And she's definitely, Yeah, she's definitely not being you know, the word that was in the last episode that you were a little shocked was in the last episode, the B word. She's not being. Yes, she's not being that at all, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like she's even when like the message is on the machine and says like, oh, April will be here five to eight, so come by after eight, and that could have been even more hurtful, But she's trying so hard to be understanding and put on a brave face.
Speaker 1: Terrible. The tough position for Lorelei to be in. She's got to get to know and be liked by this child or there's real trouble in River City. You know, it's a you know, you don't you don't marry a person, you marry their family. And and that's now his family, that's going to be part of her family. So there's some trepidation there.
Speaker 2: So great, and you wait a long time to introduce that person to your kid, right, like a lot of people do, some people don't, and no judgments, but a lot of people wait, right, So he's got to get to know his kid. Yeah, right, right, he can't be throwing so much at her.
Speaker 3: I guess I guess he could because the situation is so weird that I guess he could have said, I'm getting to know you, and because of this weird circumstance, you're sort of immediately also getting to know my fiance. But I sort of lean towards the way he's doing it is probably maybe the healthier option.
Speaker 1: And you have to take April into consideration one hundred percent, because how is that going to affect her? You know, she's got to get to know him too, and it's going to take some time, and we have she has to set the pace for this. It's not really Luke. Setting the pace for this is like, what kind of frequency are we talking about here? Good point that April can handle?
Speaker 2: Good point?
Speaker 1: How often? How much time does she want to spend with him? And that's going to depend on how each meeting, each of these initial meetings go. Hmm. Yeah, you got to give it time, you know, and then you can introduce once you're nice and comfortable. You know, something like that can take the year.
Speaker 2: While Yeah, so six months does seem quick.
Speaker 3: To have the wedding and because think about it practically, right, So say say they were moving forward with the wedding, Well, he's not going to have he's not going to not have April there. But it's way too early to suddenly be like, come to my wedding and you're in the wedding and likes.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you. You know, we're having a wedding this week and I'm marrying this girl. Why don't you come by for cake after? You know?
Speaker 3: Right, It's like there's you know, I actually, first of all, I don't hate the storyline.
Speaker 2: And number two, I'm not as mad at Luke as others I know right now, I'm not either. I agree.
Speaker 4: It's like you wouldn't want you would want April there, but you would want time to get to know her if she's attending your wedding.
Speaker 2: Right, you can't be like high, nice to meet you want to be the flower girl. It's so weird. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: I kind of see it from a different angle, like the whole thing makes me feel a certain kind of way, Like to me, if she's going to get to know Luke, she needs to get to know Luke's life and the whole package and Luke and LORELEI go together and correct. So I understand that she needs some time and he needs something like they need time together as the two of them to form a bond. But at the same time, I don't agree with him holding Lorelai at arm's length. Mm hmm, fair saying you can't be.
Speaker 5: Around the kid at all. I just I had a hard time with that because she's she's part of.
Speaker 1: The package that you.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want her to come to the diner.
Speaker 6: He didn't say it in so many words at the point that we're at now, but he did say, you know, she's going to be here from five to eight, so I'll see you after a That's right. It wasn't like comes to the diary and hang out with us.
Speaker 1: Come on, he give the guy a break. He's got to get to know his kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm giving it. I'm giving you the body. He shouldn't.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying he shouldn't. I'm saying that she can get to know both of them. I'm saying that the April can get to know both Luke and Laurlai.
Speaker 3: But doesn't that make it harder on Luke If we're really having this conversation, right, Luke's trying to get to know her. You add Lorali into the mix. Suddenly Luke's concerned about Lorali and what he's doing is facilitating Loralai getting to know April.
Speaker 2: He still has to get to know her, like he really he doesn't even know she's a reader and all these you know, all the things that we're starting to learn because think about it.
Speaker 3: Think about like, say, Suzanne, you and I go to dinner with my friend. My job is to sort of get you to know my friend and instead of focusing on so imagine it's a stranger. Basically, I have to beat team Luke so far. Like I kind of agree with I know everyone's gonna hate. I also don't know that I'm that mad at him for sort of not telling right away. I hope I would have been different, but I'm not furious at him. Yeah, maybe I am team Luke.
Speaker 2: I don't I'm not mad at him.
Speaker 4: I also I am team Luke. Also that he wants to spend time with April without Loralai. I feel like that's fair because Lorelai is a part of his life, but he needs to learn about his daughter, you know what I mean, Like, I really agree with that.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, that girl that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that little girl needs a space and the time to get to know him, ask him questions. You know. That's a deeply personal and very important starting point for that relationship to flourish. They have to build a trust. They have to start building a relationship and a trust with one another. Yeah, And it's delicate, and it's you know, fraught with all kinds of complications since you know, he's obviously not with uh Anna. So she's gonna you know, Anna's gonna feel a certain way when April comes home, and April's going to have maybe a little frustration that Anna, her own mother didn't bring you know, why, She's gonna have all those questions, Mom, why aren't you.
Speaker 2: Guys together totally? Why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 1: He could have been my daddy, you know, and he could have been my dad and I really want to spend time with.
Speaker 2: Him, And why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you tell me? Right? Yeah, So there's all there are a lot of more is twelve.
Speaker 2: We also have to take into account she's twelve.
Speaker 3: That's not the that's not five, that's not five years old, right, that's like a little bit more of.
Speaker 2: An age where like you really need to be like sensitive, right that kid, right.
Speaker 1: And because you don't want to throw her off her her track. Yeah, and this could spin her out and get her off her path totally. So he wants to be really really mindful of that and very careful with it and very very deliberate about this process. And I totally respect it.
Speaker 6: Totally respect And I'm not saying that they shouldn't have that just one on one time with each other. I'm just saying he shouldn't be acting like lare Light doesn't even exist, and it is. It gets I may be projecting forward because it's gonna get worse, but yeah, yeah, where it starts is in this episode.
Speaker 3: I feel like so far he is being quite sensitive to Lorelight, that we really see that in the opening scene despite its awkwardness, and look, yes it's a little bit of a dagger when he's like, April will be here from five to eight, so come to the diner after eight. Even though that's rough, he's still saying come to the diner, like let me see you, Like, can I can't stuf? What can I do?
Speaker 2: Like I don't I'm not He hasn't done anything yet.
Speaker 1: Right right, Hey, I'm I've got to protect my kid. I gotta This is delicate, and you know I love you. Yeah right, we're solid, Right, we're solid. We were gonna get married, but I gotta love my kid now. And I've never loved my kid before. So I got it right. I got to give her a lot of this love that I would be giving you, and I'm still giving it to you, but I got I gotta see because your heart opens up once you know you have a kid. I mean his heart, his heart changed, his capacity for love increased because now he has a kid. It's earth chattering.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think you nailed it when you said he's very much telling her we're good like he I don't. He hasn't had any indication to her that things aren't good with her or given her any indication.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: He's better solid on that while simultaneously navigating this very challenging thing. And how soon she may be forgetting he was there for her through the whole rory thing like a rock. Probably the reason they're engaged. She owes him that too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, And she can't be looking at it through a lens. And I'm sure she's sort of feeling this way at times, like who's this April? She was always very attractive according to Sally, and I mean Anna, I mean yeah, I'm sorry Anna Nardini and yeah, in that scene we find out so.
Speaker 2: That was that was rough.
Speaker 1: Trust your man, he's he's never really has he really ever done anything to her? No that would call him to question his loyalty and his No.
Speaker 3: But I did think let's talk about that scene because we'll go out of order for a second, because I.
Speaker 1: Think that agree with you, I think I so I understand there they're trying kind of bombardis with obstacles, and Larela is getting triggered and oh my god, a little insecure and all that stuff, which is only natural, and they're showing that side of her and not showing the side where isn't that a lovely moment between father and daughter And isn't that a beautiful thing to watch? That is a father getting to know his daughter that he didn't need to have. That's an extraordinarily touching, delicate moment there to the point where the entire town is pressing their noses up against the glass. Yep, but they're all it's all framed and Oh, what's how's Laura I going to react and a local loyal are still going to get married. This is secondary compared to what between father and John.
Speaker 2: So I didn't see it framed that way.
Speaker 3: I think it was the town being the town, and if I lived in a small, tiny town and suddenly the main proprietor of the town finds out he's got a long lost kid, I too would be pressing my nose up against the ice cream shoppy window to see.
Speaker 2: But for the right reasons, for gossipy reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like they just all know so much about each other's lives that it didn't seem abnormal. It seemed like something they would all do.
Speaker 6: I was looking at it in a very literal but also symbolic way that there is a physical wall there between Luke and April and Laurel I, and she's interesting on outside looking in, and she is sitting there with the town, not part of creating a family with Luke and April.
Speaker 2: So okay, great, really cool call out. I think the thing that was hard for me about that scene, the town's behaving, is the way I would expect the town to behave.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the gossip can you believe has got this kid? And we remember Anna and.
Speaker 2: She was so pretty. Yeah, they're assuming that Lrelai is totally in it, immersed in it with Luke by asking her all those questions. The painful part for me was she doesn't know the answers because she's he hasn't brought her in completely.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and she doesn't even know Anna. So the town actually knows more than she does.
Speaker 1: Here's another aspect of how they portray this relationship between Luke and April. It's like, where, where's the development of this relationship? Why is this relationship just simply being used as a wedge between Luke and Laurel and I create sort of not necessarily negative tensions, but a little bit of stress, right because they need the dramatic tension for some reason. Why aren't we in close actually having scenes with Lucy developing a relationship and developing his character along with hers, And how wonderful you know a guy he he is becoming So where so you know what I'm saying, And I think that because that's lacking, and that's not there is is why so much vitriol was aimed at a point because the audience was trained to see this as an obstacle because Lorela I wasn't getting what she wanted, and the fans weren't getting the wedding that they wanted, and so on and so forth, instead of focusing in on this guy who's been there, the solid guy that's loved her and you know, through all these phases in her life with her and her daughter and her parents and all the all the slings and arrows that he has suffered over the years, and now he's finally at a point and this is being portrayed as something of a negative where he's being like this really solid guy just found out he has a daughter, and he's doing the right thing by her, you know what I mean. Yeah, so I think so, I think it was unfair. I think it was unfair to my character and to April as well. In terms of storytelling, it's like developed that a little bit, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think in this episode it's there's not as much of that, but coming up in further episodes, there's some really good like Luke April development going on. There's some really good scenes.
Speaker 3: I think it's a very interesting storyline. Like there's that's the thing I love about this episode. Every single storyline to me, it's it's Luke April with Lowerli, Logan, Rory with a dabble of Paris, but really Rory and Logan and then the four core Gilmore's each of them great storylines. So let's let's talk about Logan. So Rory is there's another bit of sort of physical acting. It wasn't super crazy about here. When Rory's with her books and.
Speaker 2: She's the coffee cart.
Speaker 3: Her body acting was kind of the opposite. It was like two good like those people are dodging her and diving out of the ways.
Speaker 2: It was a little sort of you know whatever.
Speaker 3: But then it was all I erased my dislike of that the minute we see Logan and he's like stop and he's so cute in the puffer coat and he's standing by the coffee cart because he knows that's where he'll see her, and she was really cute and the interaction was really cute, and they're going to have dinner Thursday night at seven thirty.
Speaker 2: And just for me because I like Logan the whole I.
Speaker 6: Have a flag on the waving the coffee cups around, like you can clearly.
Speaker 5: Tell that there is no actual liquid in the coffee cups, and I noticed in the last step it's empty too.
Speaker 6: When when Logan was doing it, he's he had two cuts stacked on top of each other and he's like holding him at a forty five degree angle. And then Rory was doing it in this episode.
Speaker 5: I'm like, couldn't it.
Speaker 6: Play water in the cups so they had some weight so they yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam, when actors roll luggage, I was just going to say, it's a weird share a brain.
Speaker 1: What's going on every time I'm roll luggage. If the luggage is too light, you know, come on, put something in.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Likes the reason Scott they don't put water in the cups. Is it like they just the mess of it or something, or.
Speaker 1: It's no, it's just an oversight. It's it's it's almost the actor's responsibility to make sure that it's real and that it's the weight of as what it should be in real life, because too many times you see that and like somebody's drinking a big cup with a from a big cup and it's like super light and they're waving it around. You can tell there's nothing in it. It's kind of silly. So you know, there you go, we.
Speaker 2: Saw it exactly, there you go.
Speaker 3: So his puffer coat, the great puffers in this whole thing, right, great puffers. So then we go back and now we are back with Anka Mommy's home.
Speaker 1: They agreed she she gonna go out on Tate with him.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, seven thirty Thursday.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty Thursday. So I marked it down on my calendar. Actually, I was so excited about it.
Speaker 2: Next to June third. I now I can't unsee June third.
Speaker 1: Somebody in the solidus guest said, what the hell is that? What do you mean that's you know, Rory's getting back together with Logan. I'm excited. Put the calendar.
Speaker 3: Then we go to the house and paul Anka has she's in the orange vest again.
Speaker 2: Cute puffer, a lot of puffers.
Speaker 1: Uh ba.
Speaker 2: BET's on the phone. There was a crash in the living room. The books are everywhere.
Speaker 1: That Bet on the phone still just like a genius.
Speaker 3: So I think that we sort of had that setup so that she's she's listening almost what Scott said earlier.
Speaker 2: She's physically got.
Speaker 3: Something to do while she's listening to the messages. And then Richard comes on about the mistake about Yale with the check and YadA YadA, And then she calls Rory, Hey, it's mom.
Speaker 2: You know you've got your study voice going. We need to address this check situation. We got to tell them that your dad's paying for Yale.
Speaker 3: I actually thought Loura I came from a surprisingly sort of good place with her parents, Like, even though they drive her crazy, she has respect for them and the relationship and the family and the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Did you think of it as because it's how I took it When she got the call from Richard saying like the check bounce, do you think.
Speaker 2: She felt the check didn't bounce. I'm sorry they returned it. Yeah, they returned it because it was already paid for.
Speaker 4: You do you think that she felt like I wish my parents were still paying for Yale instead of Christopher.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, I think she felt like I got to tell them the truth because it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just thought she felt a little bad about it, which I did stant she did.
Speaker 1: I think she felt bad that she had to make a phone call to her parents.
Speaker 4: Also, like why wouldn't why wouldn't they tell Why wouldn't they tell them before like they just thought like.
Speaker 2: It's paid for. I'm sure they sort of did.
Speaker 6: Rory never handled her business, no, no, never, you get other people to do her, you know what, for her. So I think that's what it was, because Rory should have told them not lurlei exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think Loralai feels bad because they're going to feel bad. Yeah, it's very counterintuitive, like you'd think that somebody would be like, oh, I don't have to pay for it.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: It's so important to them to pay for school because it is their connection to the family, the girls, and I think they know there's risk if they're not paying that they don't have that connection. And Loralai knows how important that is to them, and she acknowledges it. This is gonna be rough, like they're not going to be happy.
Speaker 2: They're not happy.
Speaker 6: She knows it's going to be a scene now because they're finding out like not they didn't find out up front.
Speaker 2: Well, to me, it's not even that Oh sorry, Scott, you no.
Speaker 1: I mean too bad. I mean it's her kid to do what she wants. It's her kid. As long as college is paid for, it's probably better situation for them anyway, because then they're you know, not under the lash and obligated, and you know, Richard and Emily are you know, can't they be genuinely warm and welcoming and maybe one day somebody will want to come to Friday night dinner of their own fool, you know exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they wouldn't need Tony to manipulate their family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't. I didn't think that it sat very well on on Richard and Emily this episode. I thought it made them look very very very petty.
Speaker 2: Oh see, very good.
Speaker 4: There was one part I have to say, do you mind if I jump ahead a little bit?
Speaker 2: Or should I wish? No? Not do it? Okay, There's one part that.
Speaker 4: I did agree with Emily when she said when was Christopher ever a father to you? Because there was a part where she's like, well, I want my dad to pay for it. And Emily had a really good point like all these years he hadn't been anywhere and suddenly like he's your father because he's paying. I actually did agree with her on that well.
Speaker 3: And I understand Emily and Richard they want to pay for school, they want to like I know that because I have that same relationship with my grandparents, like they want to pay for school because there's so much significance in that my grandparents paid for my college, right, and I think they there's something deeper than just the check.
Speaker 2: It's not just the money. Yeah, it's the honor of paying for school, which is a weird word. It's the duty. It's the giving something to your grandchild forever.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That means so much. So it is heartbreaking in a way for them that they are no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that means the family's broken up. Their version, their vision of a family is broken up. Now, well, there's something about a legacy control. Yeah, there's there's something about the legacy. I guess that's the right word of grandparents paying for college.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's not about the check, because they could just give her the same money for something else. It's not about that. It's saying it's forever. I know that my grandparents paid for my education. And then this happened, and this happened, and this happened, and this happened all as a result of what they did. So even though ooh, it makes me want to cry, even though my grandparents aren't here anymore, that lives on.
Speaker 2: It's so important, right, and you'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: Here's another aspect that laurl I perhaps didn't think about. Would it be more beneficial for Richard and to continue to send checks because he's involved now in a real sense, using his influence and his power and his relationships at Yale to protect Laurie sorry Rory, to to make sure she gets the best opportunities and the best professor is in the best attention, and then post grad if she wants to pursue an advanced degree or get out in the job. You know, he's fully invested in every single way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something to what you're saying, and that.
Speaker 1: Should have been taken into consideration. Gris what the hell's you know? And yeah, and really is the Christopher decision? Now I think about it a little bit. Is it really that wise? Because he could blow the money in a Vegas weekend or on some crazy business venture and it's like I can't pay anymore. There's true because he's got a history of it. So it is an odd decision in that sense.
Speaker 2: There's truth to what you're saying.
Speaker 3: And what I think about is my parents could have paid for my college, right just like Christopher can pay for Rory's but there was a deeper something there. Having my grandparents pay for all our educations, right.
Speaker 2: My siblings, my cousins. It's more than just the check. Yeah, right, So I think you're right, You're you're getting into something. There's also the fact that Richard went to Yale. There's just a lot of significance in it, not just sort of like yeah, yeah, there's a lot of deep.
Speaker 1: That guy can pick up a telephone and make things happen. He can make he can pick up a telephone and make things happen for her, the waysh you know, Logan or mitcham Hunsberger cannot or will not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or even the connection, like you know when they came into the well, I'm skipping ahead, we'll get to it. But you know, the they come into the living room and he's reading the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost was waiting for Rory to bond over the book.
Speaker 4: Oh I was too. That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Why are they not connecting? And that's what Yale is to them. Yeah, it's such a deeper thing than the check. It's the connection, which I think is what you're saying, Scott.
Speaker 1: It is it is it's the family legacy, and let's you know, let's let's gain theory it out. When Rory has her children and they're grown and they're seventeen, they're going off to college. And then Richard can you know, he maybe he's still around and he wants to help, and there.
Speaker 2: Go or Christopher. So that to me is when Christopher, who knows.
Speaker 1: If you're a gambling woman, I mean, if and you're playing the odds, you're sticking with Richard.
Speaker 3: But you know what Christopher could have done. I'm so say that, say that.
Speaker 2: We understood and Rory understood more the importance of Emily and Richard paying for school. Christopher could have said, Okay, your grandparents are paying for your school. I'm going to set up now a trust fund with this money so your children's college. And that's what he should have done too.
Speaker 3: That that is family, that is legacy, That is doing something for your kid.
Speaker 2: That's beyond So I don't know, I have.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, not enough detail there. So Christopher could have put it in an account college account and that it would all been paid for lockstock and barrel, no questions asked.
Speaker 2: And then it goes down.
Speaker 1: You go off and start a casino and.
Speaker 3: Right, and it's right, the money's safe, secure, it's done, it's.
Speaker 1: Right right, and he can go blow the rest was what? Right?
Speaker 3: So okay, so let's switch to uh Logan, Paris, Rory, the paper, all that mess. What do y'all think in general about the Paris paper situation?
Speaker 4: I mean, Paris is always over the top, but this really was over the top. But I don't know what it is. It's I think she's the only character that for me can pull it off being that annoying. And I still enjoy watching.
Speaker 1: Her, you know, she I was really grooving on her character there a little bit for a couple of seasons, now appreciating it, getting the chuckles. But this is like now she's back to being like committed to an institution.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed her.
Speaker 1: This is this is like crazy, this is insanity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I only love it because of what it brought out in Rory and Logan. Ye, so to me, it's a means to an end.
Speaker 1: But like shes no, she has no business leading anything. I mean, she needs to be in therapy to unhinged someone abusive.
Speaker 3: And she would never let the paper go to print with a photo missing. So that was like not even that was insane.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what she cares way too much about the paper?
Speaker 1: Are going to are we going to find out? Uh, don't tell me what it is, but if we're going to find out, something some earthquake happened in her life in ensuing episodes to justify this behavior, because this is just so off the chain, She's a mess.
Speaker 2: That being said, the habs did make me well.
Speaker 1: You had that character say that he wanted to do to her what people did.
Speaker 2: The Mussolini Is that Bill about Bill? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No. The kid that was sitting there with the yo yo said I not only I don't only want to kill her, I want to drag her body through an hand terrible right to Mussolini here, And I was like, ah, that is a very strong statement. That's almost as bad as the biomedical itch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about her weird beautiful mind cubicle? Oh my god, my god, it was.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 4: Was beautiful.
Speaker 1: She's like you know she's that was Ted's Ted Kaczynski tear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like very she's scaring me so and then there were ear muffs.
Speaker 3: And the thing that I do love about it, like I said, is it just brings out the best in Rory, and you see like Rory's thriving again, and then it levels up Logan Logan coming in.
Speaker 2: First of all, I know we're skipping that. Let's just play through.
Speaker 3: This because this episode has so much to talk about. First of all, his smile acting. Oh my god, I die had to watch it three.
Speaker 1: That would fall in the category face act.
Speaker 2: Face acting exactly.
Speaker 1: So the scene now you're creating categories for eyes.
Speaker 2: And he comes into the paper exactly reacting. This is this is ear acting, I acting chin acting.
Speaker 3: So he comes into the paper, she realizes she forgot her date, but he's so cute and there to help and sort of why didn't you call me?
Speaker 2: But before that, he's just listening to her.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah lah lah, and he's just got this smile and he sort of touches his face like his chin or his nose, so cute, like everything about him.
Speaker 2: I just was like, swoon, swoon.
Speaker 3: And then he really contributes, so I was just like, yes, I'm so in.
Speaker 4: The one thing I it made me cringe a little bit was when he made the phone call, like when the paper was late and he was stalling and he was just like it only made me cringe because he's like so entitled and he's like, oh yeah, my father, like you know that.
Speaker 2: But he knew it would work. He knew it would work.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know why. It just bugs me about it.
Speaker 2: I didn't mind.
Speaker 3: Did you guys see Danny Putty in there by the way, you know, the actor Danny Putty, he was in the He's he's gone on to do a lot, uh that show with.
Speaker 2: Joel McHale and Chevy Chase. Anyway, I'm sure we'll talk about it either.
Speaker 1: Way, Tara. He was just trying to impress Rory. Yep, that was that was a move to get his girl back. Really, yes, really he had to be the hero and carry it through and he just played the dad card and it.
Speaker 2: Worked and to save the he got the kiss from the girl.
Speaker 4: Also, it was so not realistic the way he was talling and she's like typing like one letter at a time, Like, was.
Speaker 1: Was anything realistic in that scene?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: None of It's got an insane human being that needs to be taken away in a in a van, yeah, you know, in restraints, you know. And then so there was really you know, the stage was set for unreality.
Speaker 4: He's like, and then you open your computer and then you go And she's like just looking at Logans was pressing like one button at the time.
Speaker 2: I'm like, she's not getting anything done.
Speaker 3: Where did he get those sandwiches? All of a sudden, there's two break Deli sandwiches coming out of the bag.
Speaker 1: And two glasses and a bottle of wine.
Speaker 2: I love everything.
Speaker 1: In Sugarman parlance.
Speaker 2: He's baller, totally totally baller.
Speaker 4: So cute.
Speaker 1: That was a great scene.
Speaker 2: That was love.
Speaker 1: That was a great interaction between the great coming together. Enjoy him. He's just the guy's magic. I love I love mere Man. He's just lights up and then he doesn't. He just light up the scenes. Yes, charming, Yes gone.
Speaker 3: He lights up the scene and he brings out in her. I don't know if it's Rory or Alexis.
Speaker 2: I don't know, a light and energy the scenes like, there's just not that. I don't love her.
Speaker 3: Scene in the in the cool cafeteria dining hall room where I thought we're gonna dress crazy and she says, I'm going to dinner with Logan tonight and Laura's talking about I talked to your grandparents.
Speaker 2: We're going to dinner. It's a great scene, but there's something you canize.
Speaker 1: The chemistry between them. You can read it's electric. Yeah, you can feel it. And when he pulls her close to him, you can really feel the sexual It's real.
Speaker 3: I will say on a note, just because you know, we've got a lot to cover still, that scene where Lorelai and Ry are in the dining hall and she talks about that they had just moved from Hertford and they are at the inn and she got the invite to the annual Christmas party and she didn't go, and she acknowledges it should have gone.
Speaker 2: Everything could have been different, and I thought, wow, very quick little mention, but what a powerful thing.
Speaker 3: And she's sort of writing that by saying, I know you don't want to go, but we're going.
Speaker 2: We're going.
Speaker 1: All right, hey, everybody, Due to this viral a diarrhea of the mouth syndrome that we all have on this episode, we're gonna have to break this up into a couple of parts, at least two parts, maybe three parts, because we only got ten minutes into the episode and we've already been recording for an hour. Oh joy, Oh joy. The season anyway, So we're gonna take a little break and we'll come back with Part two. Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.