Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to the Hemmer Territory Podcast. It's a special edition of the show. I'm joining right now by Scott Coleman. Scott, we have a guest coming in a second. How are you hello, Brad? We do have a very special guest, Carlos Colazzo, a national correspondent for Baseball America in my eyes, like the leading authority on MLB draft coverage. And of course this is a massive draft on the horizon for the Atlanta Braves. I mean, in some ways it could be like a franchise altering draft. They have the number nine pick, where they are picking in the top ten for the first time in many years. They also have the twenty sixth overall pick because of Drake Bald and winning Rookie of the Year. Very important draft on the horizon and very happy to have Carlos on the show to talk about it all. Absolutely so we are running this the week of the draft. It was recorded a couple of days ago. Nothing has changed. A m will be draft World. Just want to give that PSA out there. And the draft is this Saturday. So if you didn't know that already, now you know it's draft week. The draft is this Saturday, we'll talk all about it with someone who's actually qualified to talk about it. It's not us, So stay tuned. We'll dive in right now with us and Carlos Colaso on all things Braves and m'll be draft.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We're now joined by good friend, and I mean really good friend. I said that all the time, really good front of the program, Carlos Colaso a Baseball America.
Speaker 3: What's up, man? How are you? Hello?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 4: I am good, glad to be here. As always, it's fun to do the annual Hammer Territory adventure. So what's up, Brad? What's up? Scott? Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while we'll get a question about the draft, and as we always say, we don't know anything about the draft really, and I always know in my back pocket, I'm like, I do have someone we can call that will probably take my call based on our history, and his name is CARLS. Colosso, so thank you, sir for doing this. We're thought mostly drafts on this discussion. But as we're talking about this sports started recording, we have to ask you about Eric Cartman. Hey, Eric Cartman, is like the mania has taken hold nationally, especially locally, and this might be the only guy we talk about for much. This is in the system already, but uh, what's the buzz beyond our walls? Obviously he's become a big time prospect everywhere, but like, you're a national guy, what's your thought on Eric Cartman right now?
Speaker 3: Because it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm very torn on Eric Cartman, because part of me is very excited because when I did the Prospect Handbook chapter last off season, I tabbed Eric Cartman as a breakout prospect. But at the same stage I ranked Eric Cartman in the twenties on the Braves List, which looks egregious and horrible right now, because we recently updated our top thirties, we recently updated our top hundred. He is a top twenty five prospect in baseball. He is the number one prospect in the CISM. So I can kind of lie to myself and say, oh, I had him as a breakout, But truthfully, I never expected this sort of season from Eric Cartman. The tools that he has shown, in addition to the pure hitting ability he has shown, is exceptional. I mean, there were some traits he showed a year ago that I was like oh there, these are kind of interesting. Maybe with some continued polish, you can get to like a low average in game power, which would be good for a center fielder with his speed. And it's like he's on pace for a forty sixty season in seventy one games. It's it's utterly insane. He's been one of the most impressive players in all of minor league baseball. He's still twenty years old. The guys that I've talked to on our staff who are more focused on the prospect side of the game at this point in the calendar, are talking about just like how scouts are drooling over him, and like the continued development and potential you could see with a player like him who really doesn't have the same sort of background in reps in baseball. It's just been insane to see. And I think for Brave fans, they've got to be thrilled about what he's done. I don't know if they are in the camp of like, oh, this player is the future, or hey, we can really trade him for an impact player now. Because he has only played at HIA, I don't know exactly what his ETA timeline is going to be, but it's certainly not a bad thing when you're getting a performance like this from your farm And I also feel like he's one of a number of offensive players in the system who are really doing well, which is great news for the Braves because for years and years now it's been such a picture heavy system. And I say that, but you have guys like Drake Baldwin and Michael Harris, but I guess Michael Harris has been up for a while now, so no, just really really cool story and one of the best in the miners right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, Carlos, we were fortunate enough to have you on the show I don't know, eight months or so ago, and I think you know, objectively, the farm system was not in a great place. I think it was fair to say that maybe a little better than what it was in like twenty twenty four, So it was just completely void of real talent outside of one or two guys. But you know, the farm system as a whole as healthy, and obviously, I mean that has layers to it because not only does it help the big league team, but as the trade deadline approaches, I think you can say with a straight face that if the Braves want to go out and make a real trade of substance for like an impact. Let's go all in or at least really try to give ourselves a chance. You have Eric Hartman, you have Cam Kimminetti who was just named to the Futures Game. Tate South, the scene, who was the first round pick a year ago, has really come on after a pretty disappointing kind of mini debut as a professional. So it just you know, I think, I mean, you're the expert at Baseball America. I think BA does the best job of anybody covering the farm systems in the draft. But it feels like this is the healthiest the Braves farm system has been in I mean years at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does feel like it. I think having a couple of young headliners offensively is good. They always seem to have pictures and consider duration. Cam Kemminiddie, we've had in the top one hundred for a while now. Jed Richie got in that top one hundred range for the first time, I believe at the start of our preseason list this year. I'm so pretty excited about him. The improvements that we've seen from Tate South Asceene and his approach this year. It almost makes me feel like his debut was just a blip because pre draft we expected Tate south Assen to be a much more polished offensive player than he showed in his debut, And it really does just make me wonder, Okay, do we just have a terrible entry point for young high school players in minor league baseball these days? Like there's no real appropriate level for them to play in official games. If you want to get them in official games, it does seem like it's probably too advanced for them, especially after coming off a full spring season. Tate south Asen absolutely looked over match. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he was one of the most disappointing players of any player in that draft class. For how bad the approach was. The one kind of glimmer of hope for him was that he was hitting the ball exceptionally hard when he did make contact, and now the swing to sessions are far better. He's getting the ball in the air a lot more frequently. I'm still not entirely sure where he's going to play defensively, but the fact that he has a chance to play a handful about the middle premium positions is really exciting for him as well. So it's great to see that pick already aging really well. And the Braves have just shown a knack for hitting on value late in the draft, and getting Hartman in the twentieth round is kind of egregious for everyone the other team in the industry at this stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also it's also like maybe a reminder not to overreact, especially a high school kid coming up. You know, as much as I don't know much about this stuff, Like my prior is to hey, like, let's not overreact to a handful of games for an eighteen year old, even if as bad as he looked, Like I I heard the same things the limit time that I saw it didn't look good. But it's like, hey, that was six it was six eight months ago, and now it's like a totally different world for Salvastine and that's just one player.
Speaker 3: Is that reasonable?
Speaker 1: Like, how do you approach like the first time you see a guy after the draft, especially when they're eighteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think what was tricky about Tate was it wasn't just like it was kind of disappointing, Like the approach was just horrendous. In Yeah, fifteen games, sixty six and then it's not that much time. But he also cleared like what I think of as the stabilization rate for strikeout rate in particular, and that was the number that really concerned me. I think I'm quicker to react to strikeout rate and contact rate noise for players, but for me, it's served as a very good reminder of, like, hey, especially when players are entering pro ball for the first time, with our understanding of where the minor league system is now, yeah, it is probably a good idea to kind of pump the brakes, be cautious, let them get acclimated, let them get some more time under their belt, let them start the season fresh, and then see what you've got. It's always tricky, and we do this with our n season updates, both on the draft side and on the pro side. We want to be reactive to new information and to things that have changed with players. But if the more you iterate on a list, I think the more you open yourself up to react too much. And so kind of striking that balance and trying to figure out what the best lane to take is I think a persistent question mark and one we're kind of always grappling with. So it's tough, but I mean he has what seventy one games now of really impressive performance, So it's nice to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, I mean, we'll take the wins. You know, you use a first round pick, and you know, there's so much nuance to a draft, and it's you know, he's eighteen years old playing pro ball and he was facing high schoolers three months before. I mean, there's obviously a giant leap and just everything. You know, you're on your own for the first time, you're in a new city, sometimes you travel all the way across the country. It's very, very different, a lot beyond just trying to hit a baseball, which in and of itself is is plenty difficult to do. Carlo is the last prospect I wanted to ask you about. Is the bravest first round pick two years ago, Kim Keminetti. We mentioned he was the team's lone futures game representative. You know, two years in you mentioned just before we started recording that you like Cam and Eddy and the progress that he's made. But kind of where does Cam Kemedy sit two years after being the club's first round pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still pretty excited about what he could provide to a starting rotation. I think there is a really electric fastball in the tank for him from the left side. I think what we've seen from him throughout his basically two plus years now in pro bawl. I guess, not two full years, but what does he have like one hundred and fifty ish innings total at this stage. I've been my concerns with him, I guess coming into pro ball, where what's going to be the development of his breaking ball and what's the control going to look like? And I think, especially after the full season a year ago, what he did from a strikeout and walk perspective was really exciting to me. I was very happy to put him onto our top one hundred as soon as we possibly could. I don't think my perspective of him has changed too dramatically at this stage. He's still very young. It's crazy to think of him still being just nineteen years old. I don't know if he's turned twenty yet as of this recording, but he did stand out as like one of the younger players in the class. And when I look down and just see the agent what he's done so far ready getting to Hya I think it's just a really appealing combination of athleticism, arm talent, a change up that I really like, and better strikes than I was expecting at this stage in his career. Although I guess you could say that's still an area where you're gonna want to see a little bit more sharpness and Christmas crispness from him moving forward. But I think if he developed into a made rotation arm, that wouldn't shock me at all.
Speaker 3: Sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Carlos, We're going to use your giant pervasive expertise on the on the MLB drafts momentarily because were gritten very close to that first thoughts.
Speaker 3: You have to work more partners on today's show.
Speaker 6: Hey, for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, look into K twelve powered schools. Todd Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past. I know you liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot, and this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand Listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 6: K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 3: Okay, Carl.
Speaker 1: Before we dive back in Baseball America, there's been a little bit of a promo with us. So if you go to Baseball America dot com, I believe is the place you can tell me if I'm wrong there it is on the street US. You can see this, but we have a promo code for you. It's Hammer thirty for thirty percent off the first year of any annual digital debscription at Baseball America dot com and as of course war Carlos works, so please support Carlos and also get great content all joking aside, So check it out and we appreciate, of course you're being here and also Ba's work all year round. Look, the draft is coming. The draft is on Saturday the eleventh. I believe Carlos will be on TV again. We get to watch your shiny face on the big screen. Yapen, sorry about that.
Speaker 4: You will have to uh, you will have to deal with me on the draft this year again. Yes, first four rounds.
Speaker 1: First four rounds. You have a lot better hair than either the people on the other than yourself. So that's that's part of the appeal here. But look it's coming. And for the first time in a while, the breaks up a top ten pick. They have the number nine pick. Obviously they didn't want to have an m y pick because that means they were bad last year, but they were and that's what happened. Look, without happened to get crazy into intel, Like there's the intel side in scouting side. Have you heard anything on the intel side yet that points you in any specific directions around the braves? Because it gets a little bit it's a little bit easier maybe maybe I'm crazy. You can tell me if I'm wrong. But higher you go, maybe a little bit easier to like narrow things down a bit on that first pick.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is typically how it works, although this year we feel like there is a group of six players who are the clear top players in the class, and so it is difficult to envision scenarios where all those six players aren't off the board inside the first six seven. Once you get to eight picks, it feels really unlikely for those players to be off the board. So if you're the Braves, you maybe don't like that because after that range, I think this class is maybe more muddled and difficult to separate and full of players that the industry has been incredibly split camp on, Like, there are players who should be available for the Braves, college hitters in particular, who I talk with some teams and are like, this guy is a no doubt top ten prospect, and other teams say we wouldn't take this player in the first round. And so depending on your scouting philosophy, your preference on tools and athleticism versus performance or contact ability, I think there is an incredibly wide range of opinions on the players that Braves are likely to be picking from now. If they get one of these players in the top six range to fall to them at nine, I think that's probably a win, regardless of the player who that is. I wouldn't bet on it now. And for the first pick for the Braves in particular, we hear a lot of college hitters and they are one of the landing spots that seem most likely for the first high school pitcher off the board, in left hander Jioe Rojas. Whether or not that's because the Braves historically have just loved taking high school pitchers. Alex Anthopolis seems really just geared towards getting as much pitching as he can. I'm uncertain, but I know that they have spent time on Jioe Rojas. I know there is a collection of college hitters that make a lot of sense for the Braves at nine. And I'm unsure if last year's draft of them taking three straight shortstops, is that an indication that they are flipping into a more hitter centric draft. Is that just an indication that a year ago the best players on their board were hitters and that's just kind of how it fell. We'll get a better understanding of that on Saturday, hopefully, But those are kind of the names that I'm hearing right now, or the profiles I should say, you.
Speaker 5: Know, in terms of you know, this is a unique draft for the Braves just because they have not had a top ten pick in a long time. So not only do they have the ninth pick, but they also have the twenty sixth pick and all of the money that comes with those two top selections. You know, Historically it's been kind of a mixed bag, I feel like, in terms of whether the Braves go for best player available or if they go for cutting a deal with a player who maybe isn't as high up on the consensus board. But of course there's ways to manipulate a draft pool, Carlos, Which is kind of your read on the Braves, who generally have not picked this high in about a decade. You know, do you think they're gonna go best player available? Do you think they're going to try to cut a deal and really make the most of it. I mean, of course, this is probably something that changes by the hour, depending on who the Braves feel like they're going to be able to draft. But just kind of your read on the Brave strategy in the next ten days or so to the draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think most teams will tell you that they're drafting best player available, even if maybe that's not true in some sense. Yeah, they're not going to draft a guy and tell you that he wasn't the best player available on their board. But the Braves have been a team who are very willing to take players on underslot deals with their first pick and then push that savings to players with the next few picks. I think in the last four or five drafts they've done that every single year, actually, and they could be in a position where that strategy makes a lot of sense. I was talking about this with an Orioles podcaster. Or they're picking number seven, and I think they're in a similar range of talent. Both those teams are tied to a lot of the same players. If you're in a situation where you have six college hitters who your scouting department is torn on, you viewed no real separation, I think that creates a situation where there could be a lot of value in saying, hey, we don't feel confident that we can separate the talent here. We like all these players in a similar range. Let's get the best deal we can here and then add some value later on. Again, the Braves have done a great job of this in the past. Them signing Briggs Mackenzie a few years or last year in the third or fourth round. I think he got the biggest bonus in their entire draft class that could easily happen this year. I think the talent of this year's class is extremely deep with high school pitching. So even if they don't take a high school pitcher ninth overall, I think there are a number of appealing options that will be available for them at twenty six with their second pick in the first round. What's interesting to me is the last time the Braves picked inside the top ten range. I believe it was the twenty nineteen draft. They took Shae lang Elier's ninth overall. Then they took Brandon Shoemake, so they went college heavy in that draft. I actually think there's a college catcher this year. It makes a lot of sense for them and Ryder Helfrick. I haven't heard his name super tied to them right now, but given how the Braves have been able to identify and develop catchers that could be an interesting name. There are guys like Drew Burriss Out or Georgia Tech, who's the local product of the Braves that interest in out of high school. I know he's going to be a popular name, one of the most productive players in college baseball, but I think there are a lot of avenues to value for the Braves here. And we've also talked to a lot of teams who say, hey, this is a draft where we would rather be picking a little bit later and have multiple picks because there is just no separation after that top six. So if you view the draft in that lens, you could even say the Braves are pretty well equipped to tackle the strength of this draft.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on Who's hitting a homer playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that creativity aspect that we I think you and I talk about every every year when you come on about you know, it's just different than football and basketball. It just is there's more of that moving money around and being strategic, and the Braves having these two picks in the top thirty can get a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of creativity if you if you want to.
Speaker 1: You nutioned a couple guys we were going to ask you about, one being Geo Rojas, who I think was in a recent mock of yours as the Braves pick, and then also Drew Burris. Is I mean unsurprisingly the name we get asked about the most local guy, Like you said, the Braves do. They have a lot of lots of local history. The Braves do take local pretty often, like a lot of teams do. But you can talk about either one of those guys if you want to. But is there like even beyond that. They're like a if it's Carlos making the pick and you don't know what's gonna happen ahead of you. But is there like a best case scenario that's realistic. I'm not saying they're gonna get Rock is they're not.
Speaker 3: But like, what's gonna happen? What's what's the best realistic scenario in your mind?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Giants must still think that they have a chance of getting Rock. I don't think that's gonna happen even at four. But for me, I mean I would be thrilled if Eric with Junior slipped out of that top six and got to me. I think he's the most exciting player outside of the top three we have, which is Rock, Chulawski, Grady Emerson, von Lackey. We expect those players to go inside the first three picks in some order. If I'm setting aside the top six, who we view as as the top players in the class, and it's it's a chalk draft. Then I'm looking at this next tier a really college hitters. For me, I think Joe Rojas is talented. I would take some of these college hitters above him, just because I don't know that Joe Rojas is in the same tiers like a Seth Hernandez from a year ago, where I would have taken him with the first overall pick. I thought he was that tier of a talented high school player. Joe Rojas is very good. I think his talent would be warranted here, but there are some bats that I'm personally excited about. So if you're asking me who I would take in this range, I would be looking at Derrek Curriel, who's an outfielder at LSU. He's a draft eligible sophomore. He is one of the best peer hitters in this class, maybe the best peer hitter in the class. I think we have him graded out as the highest peer hit tool in this class. That is his game. He will get some criticism, and I think this comes back to the split camp. The split camp kind of bucket of these college players. There are going to be scouts who love Derek Curiel because of that peer hitting ability, and then there are going to be teams in scouts who look at him and say, hey, you're a lot smaller than we would like for a player in this range. You don't have this sort of power. You haven't hit over ten home runs in college. If you're very down on the power, you might not like curryel. But for me, I see a player who I think has a chance to be a plus hitter. He's going to get on base, he's going to play center field. He's also going to play that at a high level. He doesn't have the typical foot speed of an elite centerfielder, but his defensive instincts have been really advanced for a number of years now. And I think if you look at the history of the draft and you look at, like in hindsight, who are the players who are going in the middle of the first round, it is like regular, average, steady players. Once you get outside of that top three, top five, you're not getting a lot of all star players. And I don't think Derreck Curriel has all star upside, but I am maybe most convicted in him being a regular, everyday big leaguer who's going to provide value of any player in this class once we get outside of that top six range. So I've kind of been the high guy in Derreck Curriel on our staff be in the industry for a long time now, Like if I'm lining up the board, I would take him fifth overall, so he'd be the guy I look at for the Braves. But there are a couple other outfielders that I know my colleagues at BA prefer and I think also make a lot of sense. We can get into those if you want. Drew Burris at Georgia Tech. AJ Garcia at Virginia is another name, and then maybe even Tyler bellat Kentucky as both the name that I've heard with the Braves justin Lebron if you want more athleticism tools upside, and then I think the only I don't think a high school hitter is most likely here for the Bravez, just because there's not an obvious name that makes sense on talent. But this might be kind of the upper range for Trevor Condon, who is also a local kid, high school player out of Georgia who should be one of the next high school hitters after our elite top six are off the board.
Speaker 5: So Coylas, you just you mentioned a lot of names college talent, some prep arms. I mean, where's the strength in the twenty twenty sixth draft class.
Speaker 4: I think relative to a normal year, the strength as a whole is for high school pitching. It's a bit unusu to say because we don't have a high school pitcher ranked in the top fifteen, but I think outside of that range there are a ton of high school armsuit teams are excited about. So at the top of the board this year we expected to be very hit or heavy, probably pretty college heavy, but this has been one of the more praised high school pitching classes that I've covered at Baseball America. I know this is a demographic that a lot of teams are really hesitant to take early in the draft. The Braves are one of the outliers there, and I think they've done pretty well by that. There are a number of high school pitchers in this class that I would take. I would probably take four or five high school pitchers before the second college arm goes out the board. We have a clear number one college right handed pitcher in Jackson Floor at UC Santa Barbara, who should be a top ten overall pick. I think that once you get into the second half of the first round, once you get into the comp range, second round, even third round, there are going to be a lot of really appealing high school arms. So I think that is the strength of the class. I also think there are a number of college bats that are interesting, but who come with flaws. Like I mentioned, there's Derek Curriell, who you feel good about the hitting ability, he maybe doesn't have tools. You have a guy like Justin Lebron at Alabama who is like rivals any player in this class in terms of upside and tools. Say, if you see him on the right day, he looks like a franchise player. So there are going to be some teams who shoot for like the ceiling and shoot for the moon with players like Justin Lebron and Sawyer Strosnyder, and then there are going to be teams who maybe take a safer track and go for these like proven hit oriented players like a Chris Hiccopean at Texas A and M who I think is another player who could fit for the Braves. He's a player I've heard linked with them. He has very limited defensive ability, speed, arm strength, but his hit power combination is maybe one of the best in the class not named rock Chelawski or von Lackey. So I do think for me, the college hitting group is going to get a lot of criticism because there are obvious flaws with all these players you can point to. But I think depending on what you do well as a player development group, there's a lot of value to be had here, and there's a lot of depth of physical toolsy and infield oriented college players, which I think is just an appealing demographic generally.
Speaker 5: Kind of an adjacent question of that, but of course in college football college basketball, nil has just completely altered the way the drafts go with being able to retain players and maybe keep players around for another year instead of them going pro and maybe making not the greatest choice for them. I know college basketball college football are very different from college baseball and the prep circuit as well, but in what ways, if any, has kind of this modern era of college athletics impacted the baseball draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like MLB at least wants to go fully into that NFL and NBA direction and get rid of high school players entirely, which I think would be disastrous for Major League Baseball. But even beyond that, with the current system, as we're dealing with that, I think it is a lot easier for colleges to retain typical draft eligible juniors once you get into the four, five, six, seven, eight nine round range. And so I think from the team perspective, and this was brought up to me specifically at a field the other day when I was talking with scouts. I think the new five year eligibility rule that's gonna come and play I think in twenty seven. So players who are eligible this year and have remaining eligibility, it's not the case where hey, you're a junior, you can choose to take this deal or come back as a senior next year with no leverage. You're going to have two additional years. So I think the way that that leverage impacts signing negotiations for those players is just going to really make teams have to do even more due diligence. I'm making sure they have those signability numbers down. We say this every year. If a player is selected in the top ten rounds, you should assume they are signing because teams have a great hit rate on signing those players. I think in the bonus pool era, it is like ninety eight point five percent of players taken sign There are a handful of players each year who don't. That's almost always a mistake by the team. Either they've drafted a player blind, just assuming they're going to be able to get it done, calling a player's bluff and it doesn't happen, or a medical situation comes up which changes the money from the team perspective, and the players like, no, I'm not going to agree to that. I agree to something else. But I do think that's an element that is interesting. You also see a lot more withdrawals from the draft. We see that from high school players, we're seeing that from college players more this year. Steven Milom at LSU was a player we think could have fit in the third to sixth round range in this year's class. A very solid college player. Teams have the financial ability and the desire to get roster stability. College coaches are kind of hate. Everyone hates the timing of the draft these days. But there's transfer portal, there's draft. You don't know who's coming back to your team. You really have no certainty about who's actually going to be filling out your lineup and in your rotation, So teams are pressuring kids and saying, hey, we'll give you X amount of money if you pull your name out from the draft. So there are a lots lots of other elements, lots of other avenues for players to get money, which is probably good from a player perspective, but I know from the team perspective, just does complicate things. It makes it a little trickier. College is more competitive than it used to be in louring players away, so that's an element. I imagine we'll continue seeing fewer and fewer high school players as a total proportion of the whole draft. I think the last few years it's been like one hundred or so high school players signed. So yeah, it's definitely a real factor.
Speaker 1: Today's episode is sponsored by Fastenal and Fastenal FMI vending technology, the ultimate tool management solution for the job site. Just like a clubhouse knows who's using which bats, Fastenall Vending machines track tool usage in real time, so I think walks off between ships and everything gets returned at the end of the day. With built in accountability and automated inventory control, fasten All Vending cuts down on loss, downtime, and those everyday tool headaches that slow teams down, fastenal FMI vending technology, keeper operation, organized, efficient and always ready for the next shift. Now I know who to call if the if Bajor League Baseball does make those changes and uh, they agreed to not have players, I'm gonna call you to have you just unload on the podcast, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could probably get a bunch of scouts to call you up and unload as well. When we reached out to them, they were not happy. It's probably putting it lately.
Speaker 5: I wonder why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, I can imagine. I look, you probably have already named a couple of these guys, but I want to give you the chance to. I have a feeling you have some favorites that are like your guys. I like to ask that question when I have people at cover drafts. I think is Curiel is probably one of them based on what you said earlier, but like it could be deeper too, like the Braves have picks at forty eight and eighty four and one twelve and down the board, like so fans will be interested in what you have even so wide open, like who are Carlos's guys like in big bold letters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, carry All has become the one I've already talked about him, so I'll move on to another. I really like saw Your Strosnyder and outfit or at TCU for maybe the exact opposite reasons that I like Derekkuryle, which is funny. He has some hit questions, some approach questions, but I think from really the entire draft, there are a few players who you could point to and say they have sixties across the board power, speed, fielding arm I think Sawyer strosnider is that he had an exceptional freshman season with TCU, maybe didn't quite live up to expectations the spring, hit under three hundred, which is a scary number to not cross for a potential first round college outfielder. He is one that I'm just really bullish on the athleticism and the upside potential. I think he's shown enough improvement with his approach this spring even without hitting three hundred, that I'm excited about what he could do moving forward. I think he's probably in between both of the Braves picks. Maybe there's a chance he slips to their second pick if they got him with their second pick. I would be thrilled if I was a Braves fan from the high school pitching demographic, which is a demographic that I always like more than the industry. Coleman Borthwick is right handed pitcher out of Florida. He is this like massive six foot six, two hundred and sixty pound right handed pitcher. He's also a really talented third baseman and hitter. He doesn't look like he would be a good infielder. He played shortstop for his team. Just imagine a six foot six, two hundred and sixty pounds player playing shortstop, and like for a high school player, he plays it well. He would be a real hitting prospect in college. I've talked to a few scouts. I think they're probably outlier opinions who'd like him as a hitter even in pro ball. But I'm all in on his pitching ability. It's a fastball up to ninety eight ninety nine. It's a power slider in the mid eighties. It's exceptional body control for a player of his size and just weight. He throws strikes at a high level. I think he has tremendous baseball IQ. He's actually gotten a lot of Austin Riley comps, which is interesting because Austin Riley, I'm not sure if you guys remember at the time, but like when he was coming out of high school, a lot of scouts thought of him as a pitching prospect.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 4: I think Coleman Borthwick is probably in the opposite direction where he's probably more likely to pitch at the next level. But I would take him in the middle of the first round. I don't hear about him going there a lot, So if he was another player who the Braves had a chance to get with their second pick, I think that would be great value. I could probably name some more, but I don't want to exhaust you guys. If there's any other specific players you want to hear about these, please let me know.
Speaker 1: You would never you would never exhaust us. This is it's actually it's always hard because like I'm almost gonna ask you, like, give me like a a later round guy that you like. But also if I ask that question, it's like that means you probably had that player rounds ahead of where he might be drafted, you know what I mean. It's kind of like, hey, there are name a guy out outside of the top two rounds or something that you like that this is this.
Speaker 4: This is a good question, actually, because the way we try to build our list for people who are maybe unfamiliar with our process, it is less a this is like Carlos Clauso's opinion on the players, and more a Hey, We're trying to solicit as much feedback as we can from the scouting industry as a whole, and we're trying to create like a consensus industry list. So even if I really like a player, but none of the scouts I talk to you like that player, I'm going to have him placed where the scouts have him. I think that is a more valuable list for our players. I'm trying to get into the expertise of these guys who are doing it year round, seeing these players far more than I am. The coverage is far better. So there are always some players that I do like a little bit more than where we have him on the board. One that I'll name is another high school hitter listed as a short stop, probably not a short stop in the long term, but Connor Como out of Texas. He is the six ft four, one hundred and eighty pound left handed hitter with great natural hitting traits. I think a lot of physical projection in the future to dream on more power coming. But his swing is super easy, super loose, super repeatable. I think he's unfazed by velocity. There's a chance he goes in the twenties. I think with teams like the Tigers, who are picking in front of the brave second pick, he gets rumored there a little bit. I think he has a chance to go on the comp round range. We have him ranked on talent right in the middle of the second I like him better than that, so he's one another name I like in this range I will go with. There's so many guys that could pull up. Kaden McCarthy is a right handed pitcher out of Vermont, and I think that in and of itself is kind of unique. We don't often have Vermont prospects ranked on the BA five hundred at all, let alone a guy who we have right in the middle of the third round range. She's a six foot right hander who's been up to ninety nine miles per hour. It feels like every high school pitcher in this class is a fastball that gets into the mid nineties. But he's a dynamic mover. On the mound. He has elite spin capacity. I think a chance for multiple above average breaking balls, and even talking about him now, I feel like ten years ago that profile is like slam dunk first rounder, but just because like everyone throws hard and everyone has a banger breaking ball. These days it doesn't do quite as much. But I think his combination of youth. He's also a reclass from twenty twenty seven, so he's young for the class as well. He's another name that I like, kind of in that third round range for us.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine being a poor hitter in Vermont High school and here comes in the ninety nine fast I mean, I would wear every piece of protective gear. I could stand four feet off the plate and say, dear, don't hit me.
Speaker 4: Well, the craziest one is the Brody B. Miller, who's a left handed picture out of Massachusetts. I'm not sure if you guys have heard this name, but he's a six foot nine, two hundred and fifty five pounds left handed pitcher who's been up to one hundred and two miles per hour in high school. So, like, imagine the Massachusetts kids stepping in the box against Ham. I can't imagine being a left handed hitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it always went out. My hamstring's a little tight. I can't go to day sorry.
Speaker 1: Right right, yeah, Okay, this is gonna be incredibly self indulgent. Scot's gonna laugh at me. There is I have seen a few lists in like a top hundred range. There's a park you high school guy on this list, Malchi Washington. Do you have an opinion at all? You don't have to have an opinion, but look, I'm so old. It could be my son. He's not, but like he's part of you hig school guy, so I have to ask you the question. He's like on list.
Speaker 4: So we're talking about the draft, so there's almost always going to be a park for you guy. It feels like, yeah, he's one of the best athletes.
Speaker 1: I literally I literally looked at like, again, I have no idea, So I literally looked a much less.
Speaker 3: I was like, is there parkview control? F park view? We got a guy to ask Carlos about.
Speaker 4: There's always one. Yeah, he's one of the better athletes in the class. Elite frame, lots of physicality, advanced like muscular build. He's a seventy or sixty five or seventy grade runner. He has a ton of power. I think the question with him is like is he going to play center field? Is he going to be too big? Is he going to move to a corner? And what is like the peer hitting ability? The swing can get a little bit long, the swing decisions are a little bit more iffy right now. So I think he does fit into that bucket of like super tools, the big upside, real questions about the peer hitting ability, and I think that is like he's kind of in that bucket where if someone drafts him, I would understand entirely why if he was like one of the better high school players who got to campus because teams wanted to improve the hit tool, that makes sense as well. But he's certainly, I think, on a short list of like if you're picking out the best athletes in the class, he would be on there.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to LSU from what I remember seeing. Joking aside, but look that, uh Scott makes fun of my part few affiliation all the time.
Speaker 3: He should, But.
Speaker 1: Listen, the Braves have had the two best park Few players of all time on their roster and Matt Olsen.
Speaker 4: Mat Okay, Yeah, currently he's pretty good. Uh No, Matt Olsen is a park Few product. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: He's a lot younger than me. Yeah, that's when you were not you weren't in the Southeast. I don't think when I was happening. But he's a lot younger than me. I don't know Matt. I do know Jeff, so I'll abstain from that. But they're literally the two best players in my high school sistory have been braves prominently so amazing. Just throw it out there, Scott, anything else you want to ask Carlos? Could we could keep him here all day? Just naming basically, just name some guys, Carlos, just key up names some guys, But we have nothing serious.
Speaker 4: You guys, you guys heard all in the team. You know the full system. How about like general profile? Like what what I know?
Speaker 3: Brad?
Speaker 4: I feel like you're always a hitter. You want hitters?
Speaker 1: I do like I do like hitting, And maybe it's a little bit just like going the opposite of what they've done, but I won't claim to Honestly, my genuine answer would be I would text you and say who should I want?
Speaker 4: Well, let me give you these profiles and you guys, tell me which is most exciting. Okay, polished, pure hitter with power questions in center field profile, well rounded, switch hitting shortstop with great on base skills, no caring tool, no great weakness, the most productive college player the last three years with power but no physical projection. Or power oriented catcher with hit risk but a chance to be a good defender. Which of those gets you fired up?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, it's funny. I'm gonna say this. Drake Baldwin is awesome, But catcher is such a gigantic wasteland in Major League Baseball, and they are so valuable even if you, let's say it all works out, like we've seen what catcher's command in trades because they were in wrench demand. So my first answer what I want, I want a first ballot Hall of Fame or unanimous decision greatest player in franchise history. But if not, I think a catcher with genuine upside because they're so rare. And then I know they went shortstop heavy in last year's draft, but they they have to figure out shortstop like it's been Stansby Swanson left town.
Speaker 4: I mean, so, Scott sounds like you would you would be happy if Ryder Helfrick from Arkansas or Tyler Bell is the pick, and then Brad I.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I think you definitely described Drew Burris right with the product, with the production and limited physical profile.
Speaker 3: Was that was Drew burs for sure.
Speaker 1: He's the one guy I know anything about because just the volume of questions we've gotten about him. I don't know, man, I I just I would like upside in general.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you can take Justin Lebron. Then there's your short stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got, he's got, he's got a cool name. Steven would be through.
Speaker 1: He's an Alabama guy, so Steven would love him because he's a roll tiede guy. So yeah, I'll take I'll take the swing. Give me the swing in the first round, especially when you have to pick this high. You don't always have to picked this high.
Speaker 4: I've got a second first round pick too to balance out the risky pick. So yeah, give me this wing.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, he genuine genuinely My answer would have been, I will I will text you the day before the draft and say, hey, who are the Braves going to take? And then who should they have taken? So when they take the wrong guy, I can say Carlos said this is the wrong pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if there's one like huge red flag I have in this range, if it's chrys Ocopian, I'm just not a Chrys'copian fan as much. So like he can. But again there will be people who say, like, hey, he's the best here in the class.
Speaker 1: So if he if he's the pick, we're coming on the show that day or that night and saying Carlos did not want this guy. All joking, we might, I might beg you to come back talk about whoever they do take in the or months or whatever. But I know you're super busy and we appreciate you taking the time this close to your super Bowl. Basically, is that accurate to say this is a super Bowl the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: AFT Day is the biggest day of the year at Baseball America and for me in particular. So yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: You're you're on TV for hours, what's happening? You came to write new things, You're just sitting there talk so well, thank you, my friend for doing this. We were appreciative. I was going to just ask all of these questions. If you said no, I was going to say, Scott for an hour and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 5: Well, this is what I would do. I would go to Baseball America dot com and read all of their scouting reports and go, you know, Brad, I've been grinding the tape for nine hours on this player.
Speaker 3: This is what I can Baseball America dot com. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we don't run codes that often. So if you've at all thought about a subscription to Baseball America, it's a great opportunity. And like I said, it is kind of our super Bowl, So we've got a ton of coverage already lined up and we'll have a ton of coverage throughout the weekend. So if you just want to know more about the players, definitely take advantage of that. And we really appreciate it because I cover the draft year round. To be able to talk about these players, it's not that I'm some expert. I just do nothing but watch these players and talk to smarter people than me about them. And I couldn't do that without our subscribers. So really, anyone who does support, whether that's through a subscription or just listening to the PO podcast or the YouTube videos, we really really do appreciate it so thank you and thank you guys for having me on like like always happy to happy to come on here.
Speaker 1: It is our pleasure. And the draft begins. I believe it's one o'clock pm Eastern on Saturday, July eleventh, is what I'm seeing in front of me right now. And watch Carlos on TV and just say, hey, I know that guy from ham Church twenty that guy used to host a Talking chot podcast.
Speaker 3: Would be what I would say.
Speaker 1: But that's okay, all right, everybody, Please stay tuned for more, follow Carlos, check out Baseball America, subscribe to this podcast, and we'll see everybody next time.