Speaker 1: Hey, hey Vegas, did me in We're back?
Speaker 2: We're blass, that's what usher? Did you?
Speaker 1: What vision? Oh?
Speaker 2: What happened in Vegas? Tell me everything? You know?
Speaker 1: The right? No, right, we want to say because it's so hilarious. Is one. I don't drink, so it's not even I drank. I don't even I didn't even gamble. I meant to put at least one dollar in a slot machine, and because my sister's on gamble, we could not figure it out.
Speaker 2: I was like, not the budget, Nissa in front of a slot machine, ruin your reputation.
Speaker 1: My dad could just do at least one dollar, and I was like okay. So we were there for like five minutes, like do you put it here? I was like, you know what, girl, your dad was egging you on.
Speaker 2: Yes, he would like something year old papa.
Speaker 1: So he said, do at least one dollar. I did not because I could not figure out the slot machine. But I had I.
Speaker 2: Think that's the thing where maybe you're too young to know how to work a slot machine. I think you need twenty thirty years older.
Speaker 1: But we had such a time, honestly, so it was the first time that my four sisters and I have been on a vacation no kids since like college, you know, like or like twenties, you know. So it was like such a good time. Care fluent from Chicago. The rest of us live in Jersey, so we flew together. But we had a time hunting because Vegas is known like they're no for their really great buffets and they're like quirky hotels. So we stayed at like the Park MGM because that's where Usher was performing. So we went specifically to see the Usher residency, which was ten out of ten. He still got it, you know, but we ate a lot, girl because you know, Vegas is known, like I said, for their like they're they're like buffets and things, so like the breakfast at the Bellagio, recommend it's so good. The wind Hotel Asca, Yes, the Winch Hotel has has a buffet. I would totally recommend as well. And we did like a tour because I've always I've never I went to Vegas one time before for a business trip, but I'd never seen the strip so and it was one hundred and average about one hundred and two degrees every day, like legit, like if you look. So it wasn't a walking so we took this thing called the Pink Jeep Tour, which I do recommend, which is really fun. It's like a three hour tour and it drives you along the strip. You take pictures of all the major like you know, vacancy places. So that was dope. But let's talk about this usher. So I surprised my sisters with front row seats. I couldn't tell. So I don't go to a ton of concert I know, I don't.
Speaker 2: They were on an applications for the Sister crew.
Speaker 1: You know. It was crazy because they were dramatically reduced. I don't know why. So it was Wednesday. We went on a Wednesday, and when I was looking to purchase, I couldn't get like the regular seats, you know, that's what I was looking for. Saturday Sunday. They kept selling out underneath me. And there was like this moment when like these seats from I'm like, this can't be real because they were like the half the price of what the other seats around them. I'm like, is there something wrong with these seats? But I said, you know what, kiss it up to God. I booked them and I thought it's not really front row. It must be some other No. No, I had my hand on the stage like, oh, this is where he'll stay your front row. When I tell you, Mandy, me and USh are high five twice like for real.
Speaker 2: Yes literally like casually, just like you know, quickly put one of your liverature bracelets, just transferred onto his risks.
Speaker 1: First of all, why there was these ladies in the back and said, is that the pros I was like, not tonight, I'm tipping. But so my sister Carol was like, if you're listening, yes, yes it was her, Yes exactly. So west sister Carol like she's the sister that's that like right next to me. And I was like, yo, want to tell you she got her life? I said, oh, Roman and Amelia are not getting a mommy back outside outside and when I tell you, we had such a good time. But it was first of all this fact that the man, this man is forty years old. You can see the joy of performance on his face, like the joy on his face. I mean he cried, I mean his voice was just I mean, you know, we all know Usher can blow, but it's just like you could tell that him and his dancers that they really enjoyed themselves. And so we enjoyed ourselves. I mean everyone. Like there was a woman next to me on a date with her man and we were high fiving. When Usher touched Carol's hand, she was like, girl, let me touch your hands. He threw out the Usher books. Remember there was like some scandal like a year or so ago about him throwing out Usher bucks at a strip club. But he threw out Usher Bucks. I was like, let me take one for a souvenir. But honestly, it was amazing, amazing. I've never sat that close to the concert. It's unfortunately by the time y'all listen to this, I put it in my stories, but liter really, I mean there was nobody between me and the stage and Usher. It was just such an amazing time. And I'm just so glad that, like, you know, we have these like core memories that we were able to develop. And I told my sisters, we have to do this every year, like we have to do a trip, you know, like because I know, life gets so busy, see you know, but it's like my my my parents watched Roman and a Million. Karen's husband had their daughter and she was sharing with me that like he was a message to her in the morning, like I just love you so much. You're just an amazing wife and mom.
Speaker 2: It was like yeah, because he was like I don't even get that. And Rique's just like can you not die? Like can you just never go away? Because I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't realize everybody. Yeah, now women and million know how to call via their tablet. They was called every day like her man, mommy, where are you?
Speaker 2: I know, they didn't want to go to Grandma and Grandpa's what they call them? What are their what are their Granny and grandma?
Speaker 1: You know, they call them Grandma and Grandpa. But they're just like, you know, it's fun for like, you know, a few hours or a day. But she was like, because they're really big on the calendar, so they show me with them on the calendar. You coming back was like no, just ony night, just oh my gosh. And my mom was like, they're fine until you call and out there crying again. I know, but we had a time. Carol was like, girlo'm kids, be you at Grandma and Grandpa's house. And it's beautiful. They literally my parents house backs up to a park which backs up to like a a water park like pool, facility. Like the kids, they live in their best life. They just you know, they just like being home. They're like, well, can we stay at Auntie they call me aunt Auntie Udo's house. She was like, she's going with us too. So they were like no, and they were like, wait, are you staying a par of town. They wanted to tour at the hotel because they stayed at a hotel. We went to visit Karen a few weeks a few months ago. They're like, give me a tour of that hotel. I'm like, so now your hotel connoisseurs. But yeah, we had a we had a toime honey. But all my business owners.
Speaker 2: I love that it was like not during a holiday, like it was just because that's the best part because it feels special because it's your time that you guys chose to get special. And honestly too, yeah, I think it's important that, like, you know, like now more than ever. I mean obviously, you know, it doesn't mean you have to buy usher tickets, but taking the time to live well now, you know what I mean, like to be like you know what is like is it a walk, Maybe it's a nap, Maybe it's.
Speaker 1: You know, like what is it that you can lean into? You know, have you not spoken to your bestie in a while, have lunch with her, you know, to really just lean in. And that's what I've just been trying to do, is like, you know, because sometimes I do this thing where I hold off, oh when this happens, or I'll make space later, and I'm like, no, like, let's make space now, you know. But I will say because so for those of you, because some of y'all will message me like I didn't say the invite. Well, by the time you listen to this, the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't the screening so amazing, I love the time.
Speaker 1: The screening will have happened yesterday. By the time y'all hear this. But it doesn't mean still go to Netflix, still watch gets smart with money. But when I tell you I was there because I was working, you know what I mean, Like because the screen was happening in a few days, and so I would still have to wake up at six and work, and so sometimes I was sharing with my mentees and that sometimes that like that's what it looks like. It shouldn't always look like that, Like, if you're not launching, you shouldn't be in launched mode. But it was I mean I was When I say working like working like making sure the venue, I mean it was myself and like three other women on my team. But still was a lot making sure the invites went out, making sure the venue is properly, they have everything they need, making sure that like the people who are going to be special guests have their invite. But yeah, so I will ask one favorite of y'all brown ambitions, Well, you should listen anyway because we talking about money. I've already seen the screener. I like, I'll just keep it light because I don't want to get in trouble. But you know, I really enjoyed it. I will say it's very feel good. I'll just leave it at that because Netflix has already said it's feel good. It's on. But if you go to Netflix dot Com log into your account now more than ever this week in particular, I would really love if all of us watch Get Smart with Money so we can discuss it. You know, you can, matter of fact, if watch Gets Smart with Money and then tweet us at the BA podcast where Brianna Bishing podcasts on Insta, tweet us some questions you know, and I'll answer. You know, you can also tweet me the budgetista or the Budgetista on ig and we can answer next time. But yeah, I want to get as many people watching this first week. I'm not gonna I'm trying to make the top ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't do things halfway, No, don't. You don't know how to do things halfway.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Also, you thrown this like party together, like it's all come together so quickly. Too so because when you first mentioned that it was premiering it's been. There wasn't a party planned, and then the next week it's like, so come to my party.
Speaker 1: Because they, you know, with Netflix, it was like I one, you know, I had a NDA, so I couldn't say until they shared I could say, and then they didn't have a date yet and they told us like that they you know, a few days before I share. Ok yeah, So it's kind of like, you know, and I'm like show business baby when I tell you, hey, it's been so I was at like literally six am, like okay, look, yes, okay, do that okay a keisha okay, gross, and then still like having to have fun during the day and that party at night. I mean, so your girl is it's been a wh win, but it's also just been like I don't know, So I always talk about like the thing before the thing, you know what I mean, Like where something will happen and it's in preparation for like this other big thing that's going to happen, and I'm so good at being in preparation for that. I feel like a fish out of water now that the thing is here, you know what I mean. I'm having like I'm trying to. I'm gonna take like a super long walk today so in silence so I can absorb the actual thing that I'm in now, because I'm like, Tiffany, you've done so many things before the things for the think this is the thing. You know, Like we're here now. I want you to absorb the fact that like this is happening. You work really hard, you've you know, there's just you know, I mean, there's other things to come, but like learning to like be in the moment and to be present because it's going to be crazy the next couple of days. So that's what I told myself today that I'm just gonna take like this long walk and just like at the park and just absorb the fact that like look out for all you've come Tiffany from like super shy, geeky, not be need Tiffany. Well, actually still the same, but like look up or you've come to like where you are now, you know. And so like my mom called me this morning and I can That's what made me pause because I could hear it in her voice, the reflection of like what I've comme, you know what I mean, like there's nothing like here it in your parents' voice, who were kind of disapproving of, like what is this denis that you're doing. I'm like, Mommy, the word is budget. It exists in the lingo's language. Like why can't y'all I can see if you got Nisa wrong, but budget sys you say. And now she's like, send me all those things. My friends have been posting it in our in our group chat, because you know, all the moms are and WhatsApp and that's why you get all those forwards like Jesus loves you pass this song. You're like okay, And so she said send it to me so I can send it to everybody. I was like, oh, and she's like, make sure you put Tiffany the budgetista. I said, oh sis, So we're recognizing because before it was like I couldn't believe. I was like, look at Sylvia, okay, which you know, they have to come around. So if your parents have not come around, you know, keep going, you know, because parents some talk to the number one haters, but they're also the number one lovers. You know, they just want you to be safe. But yeah, I know I'm rambling, but I'm just I'm sad.
Speaker 2: I mean, I no, I just want to say too, Like the beauty of your arc, like your journey, is that you've always just been your authentic self. And I think that that's the thing that really resonates with me and so many others is that you know, success can come if you are just yourself, Like you don't need to imitate anyone else, you don't need to do something that you don't feel good about doing. Just follow that good feeling and do what you love and help people and keep other people you know and being of service to them front of front of mine, and you can still find incredible success and the sky is the limit. Like come on, So congratulations again, always in awe of you and proud. Thanks. Well, it all makes it seem like I can't believe you are where you are, but I can because I mean I see the work you know, like it has You're not an overnight success like this has been years and years and years and years and years. Yes, I since that budget needs to blog back in twenty thirteen, whenever I saw that with the bicycle. Come on now, it's been a minute of watching your journey and it's yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: You were the first big time interview I ever did. I was like, so geek, because man, is that you were working at No No with insider Yes for yeah, m g okay, so she's a big time reporter.
Speaker 2: You followed me wherever I went Yahoo Finance. I was like, gotta have Tiffany on that and Magnified Money. You guys were doing a partnership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got us yo, Mandy and I've been rocking y'all even know, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've been rocking all fast in the life. Yes.
Speaker 1: And then we like met up at FINNCN and become like became like besties. I remember we were like forget all the conference workshops. We just like we we took like a long stroke. We were like day day like took a long stroll through the streets of New Orleans, got to know each other, and then Mandy Propos was like, I propose we do a podcast.
Speaker 2: I was like, I do.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: We are coming up on our seventh year anniversary in just a couple of weeks here, which is wild that. Plus I'm gonna be at FINCN next week, so it's like, yeah, it's that reflection time. I went back. Do you ever do that? You go back to your old emails and like try to just remember what was going on at the time. So I went back to twenty fifteen, when we were twenty fourteen, when we launched Brown Ambition, twenty fifteen when we launched Brown Ambition, and I was like those early emails where we were like scheduling when you were going to come to the Yahoo office and I was trying to figure out which office we can sneak into to record. We used to record on Sundays. We used to do more than one episode a day. Yeah, it's like Canada.
Speaker 1: I used to love going to Yahoo office because first of all, they had all the snacks. Man, It's like, are you my office is snacks? I'm like I am. I brought my book back.
Speaker 2: The hind bars to sit no pase I missed them snacks too, man, Yes, it's all about reflects. It's a beautiful time to reflect too. So I'm glad that you mentioned that because it's like sit in the moment and speaking of I thought about you in the same time, I'm thinking about Serena Williams because everyone's watching her at the US Open right now and she is just like she's having her like farewell tour, but she hasn't said when she's going to technically be done. But that's fine, but just incredible. And also it's like, you know the interview was it Gael? That's Gail King that she was interviewing with after one of her matches, the second one, and Gil's like, are you Are you a surprise by the level that you're playing at, And Serena face is just like girl, but I'm Serena. I love that when you get to that level. And I feel like, tiff you're at that level, like are we surprised that you are? In a Netflix? Like there's not surprises anymore. It's just like, of course, yes, but you're Tiffany, you know you know what I from.
Speaker 1: Doctor Green, Like she said to me, because I used to be like almost not a shame, but like, of course I've worked really hard to achieve a thing, but I had a hard time absorbing the fact the thing you work for is here, because I would always be like, I don't know if I'm going to make a near time bestsellers. Listen, she said, but all the work you've put in has been toward that. And she said, and I think I had mentioned something about like, but I just want to remain humble. And she was like, I think that especially women, mistaken what humility truly is. And she said, to be humble is not to to reflect less, and to be humble is not to reflect more than she said, so you're not trying to be arrogant, and you're not certainly trying to be insecure. She said. Humility is to take up the exact amount of space, and some people's spaces in certain instances is bigger or smaller, depending So meaning like for me to say, oh, you know, it's just Netflix, she'sa liked, that's not humility, you know, that's just you shrinking to say this is a big deal, this is Netflix. She's like that, humility, you're taking up the amount of space, the appropriate amount of space you get to fill that space, Tiffany. And so I just remember that that, like I don't have to shrink, and then I don't have to Like my worry is always like over pushing and becoming arrogant, and she's like, well, that's not you anyway. But my concern is to I don't want you to shrink. That's not humility. Take up the exact amount of space. And so that's what I try to keep in mind that, Like, that's what humility is, is that it's like that that middle way, like taking up the exact amount of space allotted for that, for that occasion, for that accomplishment, that for that time that you are in life. And so I'm like, I'm just taking up the space that's set aside for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not bragging, it's just facts, Like, yeah, I'm taking the Vigeeny staff a Nutbooks documentary premiering September sixth. That's just fact city bragging, but no huge success. I cannot wait to celebrate you. I'm gonna make it happen. Husband doesn't know it yet, but I won't make it happen. He's gonna come home earlier that day to watch the baby so I can come to Newark. So I'm so excited for you. Can we talk? Last week was something was brewing on the Tiki Talkies not really TikTok, but you know, we love Tabatha Brawn. We're huge fans. We've been trying to have her on the show for a minute, for a minute, and as y'all, yes, so you know what happened with her with Food Networks, So let's talk about it because I just thought it was such a it's still happening, like the beautiful thing about owning your own platform like tab has. You know, she has this huge following on social media. She's built it organically herself, and she doesn't necessarily need to work with other brands to reach her people, and that is what's so damn powerful. She doesn't need publicists like she can just speak to her audience. And she, in spite of that, has partner with like we've seen her do these huge launches at Target. She also had a Food Network show called It's Compliplated Compliplated.
Speaker 1: Hate that name, but I love Todd, but I hate that name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's about vegan something about vegan food I haven't watched it yet. I don't have I don't have Food Network. If it's on Hula, let me know anyway, So she was just premiering and then I think like a week after it premiered, she goes on TikTok like early this week or over the weekend and just very like you know, blind item style, like wasn't saying any names, but was like, I just need y'all to know in her tabway, I can't imitate her. She cannot be imitating the nice nasty. The nice nasty was just saying how I have I keep telling these people, but they don't seem to believe me. But let me remind you. I'm always going to be who I am. I cannot be changed. And when I feel like I am being pushed to in a way, that's and this is me paraphrasing. You guys can go check it. We'll hopstal link to the video. But she's essentially saying that like people have tried to change me. It hasn't worked. I keep saying this is who I am. I'm authentic, this is me. Vegan Tab. You know, Happy Tab, you know, kind, caring, loving Tab, Southern Tab, you know who she is and who she fundamentally is can't be changed. And at the very end of the video, she's like, by the way, my new show is complicated. Complplated will now be on Tuesdays at one pm instead of where it was prime time Thursday's at nine pm and just primetime. Right, So something has happened. Someone's lost their dayn mind of Food Network, and it seems like they have tried to give her some sort of like I don't know, notes on how she should change or whatever, and she was like hell naw, and they tried to silence her by putting her in this like graveyard slot, not even graveyard, but like one pm is like diner's driver is in diet. Like that's like run rerun crap. Fifteenth episode of Chopped, you know, comes on at one pm on a Tuesday. So I just want to say fully support tab. Obviously we don't know everything that's happening, but I want to get your thoughts on that. To Tiffany, like, how did you feel with me? Saw that?
Speaker 1: What I saw? First?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: She said those things? I said, oh who may? Meanwhile, I me and Tab be like the same age. I'm forty two. I think she's forty two or forty three, but you know, I still call her Aunti Tab because that's the energy. I said, who made Auntie tab mad? And then when she said the thing at the end, I was like, oh, because if I'm being honest. So I've been approaching many, many, many times over the last like ten years to like, you know, have a show or to work with because there's like pre pre pre approach. There's like production companies that will reach out. So typically a production company kind of will reach out, they'll do some reels with you, like they'll do like almost like a mini clip of us show they think that they would want to do, and then they'll pitch you to like networks and streaming platforms, YadA ya, YadA. So I've been approached many times by production companies, and some of them I'm like, you know, like I'll I'll give you just two examples. One it was by this huge, huge, huge production company owned by huge, huge, huge celebrity. If I saved their name, you'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh God.
Speaker 1: And but the platform you know that they want to be They wanted me to be a host on the show that had already existed from the year before, and I just was like, Okay, let me watch. And I was like, oh, I was giving very much. The other host was giving very much. Simon Cowell like that hoax was the Meani and I was supposed to be the Nicy. And the thing is they already had a sister on that show. So I was like, well, what about you already have a sister you've reached it out to me for and they're like, oh that the sister and the other person weren't getting along. I'm like, oh, so you're geting rid of the system and you're looking for another brown girl. And I said, well, you know, I don't know because I don't necessarily like you know, I mean, I'm going to show up nice, but he seems kind of mean, and so they're like, that's what we want you to come to balance it out. So then they sent me, but I told them it just didn't seem like a fit for me because I don't, like, you know, I'm not a tough love girl. I'm a love love girl. And so I was like no, They're like, well, how about you could just come on as like a guest to like, you know, like a guest helper whatever from time to time and I said, okay, I'm open to that. So I won't be the main host. I could be this guest helper. They sent me the contract. Girl, when I tell you this contract, it said in it like because I read my contracts obviously. I said this to my attorney too, shout out to you, Tony Moore, She's amazing. So I always read them, and then Tony will read it and then she sends me notes. I call them her homegirl notes where because Tony's the sister and Tony will break down like girl. Section ABC says, don't do it sex, you know. So I'm like, oh, okay. So so I read it and it said like one section She's like, girl, what the hell is this? It said, we are allowed to make up stories about you, humiliate you and your family like verbatem. Whenever was what the hell? So I reached back out to the production company, ID what is this. They're like, oh my gosh, I'm sorry, we sent you the wrong contract. That's for the guests on the show that we're helping with their finances. And I was like, so you mean to tell me that you are asking people to come on a show to get help, but then you are also telling them that you get to make up stories if it's not salacious enough, humiliate them and their families, and you want me to continue with this, you know, with this show. And so I said, absolutely not. I said this is wrong. And I remember the woman on the phone she was saying to herself, and you know, she was not the owner of this production company. So I did not do the show. But I will say I saw somebody else that I know did the show in no shade, but I just was like, that won't be me. So I said no. And then another company, production company, reached out the woman who owned it. Oh well, I won't get that much of detail. Anyway, it was a production company and the people are really really really wealthy and super well known, and they reached out. And so one of the things I want, like if I'm going to be a part of a show at the level where I am now, I'm wanting what they call executive producer credit that's like back end, and I'm wanting a piece of that. And they were like, absolutely not. And I said, I don't want to just show up as talent, meaning like yes, you get a talent fee, but I also want a production credit. But also to be paid for what I'm putting out there, and they were just like no, and they kept like courting me, and I remember just being like, here's the thing. I don't need it. Honestly, I have no desire to be quote unquote famous. I have successful businesses already. If I never do a show, I will continue to be successful. But I just remember being like blown away. I remember telling the woman distinctly. I said, I'm not a sixteen year old want to be rapper trying to get put on and willing to sign my life away for that. Why would I do that? You know what I mean? So what you're essentially asking me is to make this rich person richer and then I get to to dance on whatever streaming platform now and so you know, so I remember, I mean they courted me for a long time, and it was funny because I wanted she's listened. I'm like hey, girl, hey, because she was like yeah, but with us, because the name attached is so big, you know, we can likely get you on Netflix. I mean, while I'm like, girl here behind the ear here now. So this was like maybe two or three years ago. So I did sign with the production company. What I did get my IPA credit, and I did get my large chunk of like you know, of ownership, so that way I can get paid front end and back in. And I waited for that, and so I just say all that to this, are.
Speaker 2: Your producer on the Netflix movie documentary? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, that was like the truth is help. The way that worked out is that production company. It wasn't sold to Netflix at first. It was they just reached out and said, we're doing this documentary. I had done research on them Atlas Films, and I love the other documentaries that they had done, so I just said yes off GP of like, oh, I'll be in this random doc. And then later Netflix was like I think came into the picture, and I was like, oh, well that was a good choice to say it. So that wasn't yeah, that wasn't the initial It was just yeah, it was just this doc. And just so for you guys know, like there the documentary follows these four people, well one of them is a couple, one group, but these ideally really these four people who are struggling with their finances, and they assigned them a coach and so I'm one of the coaches. And actually my woman was a DreamCatcher. She lives in Jersey. She's so nice. We were just texting her. I got a text her after this. We was just texting the other day. And you just get to see where they started and where they finished, and it's just like, you know, it's beautiful, and it's aligned with how I show up, not just me. The other coaches are mister Money Mustache, he's awesome, Paula Pants, she's awesome, and then Ross Mac he's awesome. I love that there were so many people of color. Three out of the four coaches were people of color, so I was like, ah, get into it. Two of us were women. Ross Mack is a black man. Paula she's as well. Even said, because I'm not I'm not sure. What do you know, Paula, I'm not sure what ethnicity. Yeah, yeah, I know her.
Speaker 2: I don't know what her ethnicity is. South Asian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I want to say. But I love the fact that, like, you know, that to me was awesome. And then my woman was Latina who was helping. She's dominequan Ell who I was helping. And so you just got like a sulf and Ross helped them. The guy he was helping was a black man, and so I just love that there was such diversity in the casting and the coaching and what I love to I'm not gonna give too much away, but the way we all approached our person was very much in alignment with what I said, you know, like I don't believe in shaming people because I would never have been a part of something like that, And so I love that, like not just the way I coach, but when I watched it, I was like, Okay, this is great. Like there's a shift happening where we don't have to yell at people, make them feel all terrible and say you can't afford her, you know, like you can't buy they lattes until you pay off your mortgage or whatever whatever people say.
Speaker 2: But people down before you build them back up that hole. That whole makeover style is so nineties early twenty tens. Yeah, it's gone.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the new I love the new tone, the Queer Eye tone. I feel like Queer Eye is like one of those makeover shows makes you feel better watching it. They don't tear people down, they help them, And like, I don't feel like this it doesn't sound like this will be that way either. I can't wait to see it. There's enough bullshit and meanness in the world and that's why. And again it's about owning your audience and your platforms, if which you do like you don't need that shit, and people need you like they need to like they need to reach the audience that you have already reached, right, which is why they're contacting you. And I mean, and I think for Tab too, it's so clear that she is at peace with who she is. And how can you not be at peace with who you are when your audience has already found you and loves you and or follow you wherever you say to go.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're here for tab nobody. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I'm watching her grainy ninety second tiktoks. I don't need it compleplated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, work, And for those of you in business, please let that be like a lesson to you that like, is it the longer way? Because Tad been at it? Because just what is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Just three years ago she was driving uber And if you read her book, which I have, it's been years, if not longer than me. If I think it's been longer than fifteen years, of her working toward and so because of that, you know, like that's what it looks like. Is sometimes some people blow up overnight, but for most people who are really successful, they have to take the long route because you have to collect a lot of lessons along the journey. But yeah, as a result, tab can go somewhere else. Like you know, I was sharing this with my mentees at my mentortifty dot com quickblook, and I was sharing with them. I said, you know, you want to get to a place that you become one of one, to quote Beyonce say in business. You know, one of the things that I have learned and what I teach my mentees little plug my mentor tipany dot com with mine, we have like sixteen hundred mentees. There is that that like, oh you're in. I love thought that because honestly I have been thanks. So what I've been doing, like I what I what I what I've been doing with this whole Netflix behind the scenes like launch and marketing plan is I've been sharing like the I call it like the behind the curtain aspect of what's happening with them, and so like they've been seeing like along the way, like this is what I'm doing this is why I'm doing it. Here's how you can apply it to your business. So I've been sharing that all week with them. But one of the things I teach is that like you really want to get to a point of like excellence and then you know, owning access to your audience because at a certain point, now you know, I want to become one of one, that it's either you get me and if you can't afford me, you go get more money. That's it. There is no oh, we'll just get dot dot dot, you know, because there is no like either you get tab or you go get more money, because there's nobody that you can say, well, we won't have tap, will have somebody else. There is no substitute. She's one of one. And that's what I'm working toward, because when you become one of one, then you won there's wayless competition and you really get to call your own shots. And I get to be like, no, I'm not doing that. I mean I was always like that from the very beginning, that like, for example, you'll never see me sell credit cards, Like I'm not anti credit card because I have credit cards, I use them wisely, and I will teach you how to use credit cards wisely. And if I was doing business, that'd be different, like you might see me one day in America express commercial or whatever, but about business. But personally, I'm not here to say get this particular card because I feel like credit cards can kind of be like a gateway drug and I don't want to be a pusher. Now I'm gonna share with you how best to use them if you have cards, because like I said, I certainly use them, but like that's just not me. From the very beginning when I had no money, it was one of the few types of companies that would reach out to me. I remember distinctly my friend Cabrell telling me, and I was like, what do you think, I said, is a card that I use? And he was like, Tiffany, once you start saying something yes to something on the on the fringe, you very quickly go all the way to the other side. And I just didn't want to compromise. And so from then until now, like I haven't had to, and I you know, and I still haven't, and so yeah, I'm working on becoming one of one where it's like you either go get me or you go get more money, or you just have to sit this thing out because there is no substitute, you know, so work toward that, and that's what happens done. That's why she could say what she wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Y'all are both alien superstars.
Speaker 1: You know I'm not quite a that lesson you are.
Speaker 2: Don't give me an opportunity and wax poetic about Beyonce's album because I will too late. It's already happening. Listen why I love alien superstars so much. If you listen to the lyrics, I'm one of one. Don't even try to compete with me. Nobody else can think like me what I love about that lyric. Anyone can sing it because true, no one can think like we do, like we are one of one. We are all alien superstars. And I don't think that the message is like you have to be a Beyonce, but like it's unlocking that alien superstar in yourself. When I tell you, you're listening to these lyrics and I feel them, I love it because like that has been It's the thing that I've known, It's the thing that we learn as children watching Barney. You know, like we're all unique, and you know, we all have our own identities and it's beautiful celebrate our differences, but it's a thing that you don't truly like for me, start to really like sit with and sink into, like seep into your bones and your DNA until you're older and like at this point in your life. And I'm I'm and that's why I'm like when I shout you out, tip, I shout out your authenticity, like your your one of oneness because you don't try to be anyone else, and like nor do I. And just then you become cozy with who you are above you since I love myself, God damn sorry, they just come out of my They just come out of me. But that's that's the whole message I feel like of this album, in these two songs, is really about your unique self and we all have that inside of us. You know, you're already an alien superstar.
Speaker 1: Come on now, okay, I'm gonna that's what's it gonna take for you to think that, Yes, yeah, take up the space. That'shue, that's true humility, take up the full space a lot. And I'm like, you're right, I'm an alien superstar. I'm one of one.
Speaker 2: Don't make me start hyping you up because I'll never stop, and I hype myself up too. Okay, you've got back ourselves.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we're gonna take a break, quick.
Speaker 2: Breaky break, We'll be right back with boost. Oh break love you tab.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We're a bag. We're back. We're back. And now it's time to boost up. Break up, boost up, break up, boost up, break up boost? Oh are you gonna boost? Is you gonna break? It's boosty waking time, mandra are you on?
Speaker 2: Can't wait?
Speaker 1: Brown boost today? Or you going to brown break today?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna boost and I'm gonna boost my damn self. I'm so so excited and so proud of something that I have been working on. So as you guys know, I am a career, a negotiation expert. I live for the sweaty palm, knee shaken, phone slipping out your hand because your hands are so sweaty moment when you're negotiating compensation. I love negotiating my contracts. Now that I'm doing like partnerships and brands and stuff like that, it's fun for me. I like leaning into that fear, and I love coaching other women and how to negotiate. And one of the things that I've realized this past year, what I'm getting often asked is so what do I say? What are the exact words? Let me get my pen out. This is why if you coach, if I get if you coach with me, or I coach you anyway work with me? Is I give everyone. I have a wonderful transcript system that will transcribe our entire phone call and then people can take it because so often what I'm saying is like, here's what you say to get the thing that you want. And I've done that, but trying to reach like a larger audience and trying to make myself more accessible to more people because I don't do a lot of one on ones anymore.
Speaker 1: And the price went up.
Speaker 2: So I created the NAIL the Negotiation Guide seventeen actually nineteen. I just added two more nineteen word for word negotiation scripts. So everything from how do I negotiate a raise at my current job to how do I, of course negotiate a new job offer. What do you say when they say, oh, but you said that you were okay with this price, this salary range when we first talked, and you think that you lowballed yourself.
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 2: What do you say if you're in the middle of a negotiation and you get a competing job offer and you want to bring that in. What do you say if you want a signing bonus? What do you say if you want to note they have equity? I have works so hard putting together this guide, and I am putting it out into the world. By the time you guys hear this episode, it will be available at mandymoney dot com, so you can get the guide. You can get the guide, get the negotiation scripts, use them please, Like all I want in the world is for people to feel more confident asking for what they're worth. And I hope with these words that I'm giving you from my own brain, from years of negotiating from tenexting my salary from thirty K to three hundred K, from negotiating close to two hundred thousand dollars in additional sign on bonuses and equity over the years, from negotiating an average thirty nine percent Yes, I did the math. On average, every time I negotiated a salary, on average, I was getting thirty nine percent more. I have put all of those words into this guide oh am, Like, honestly.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I just hope we know because I'm not gonna lie. I'm not really good at negotiating. I'm buying it so Andy, and like, Mandy, you ca don't understand, like I think people think that if you're if you're doing well, you must be good at everything. Now I'm really bad and negotiating because you know, I could be self deprecating like oh no, no, no no, I am so m A N D I Mandy and any money Mandymney.
Speaker 2: Dot com dot com. Go to the website and then just go to the shop Mandy money dot your cars purchase slash bot, slash slash spot slash shop thanks tiv. Yeah, I'm so excited. I haven't done anything like just before.
Speaker 1: There's a shop button on Mandymney dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes there is, and you can get them to nail the negotiation guide there please please. You can also have some freebies and other stuff that you can grab. But yeah, I'm really really excited about this. I've been working hard and my VIP man maybe.
Speaker 1: Girl, I'm excited. I'm like, forget Mandy, I'm excited for myself. I can't wait together.
Speaker 2: Thank you honestly brown boost for that.
Speaker 1: No, that's huge, and I think, I mean I sometimes you're so good at something that you don't realize that that something is really special because people don't know how to because I don't. And I'm it's so funny because that's your boost because my I guess it's a break is similar. It's like a boosty break. It's not similar, but it's it's been aligned with that, and I'm so happy to receive that because I'm needing that. So Mandy m a n d I money dot Com go to shop and pick it up because I'm going to and here's my boost my or my break is like under under valuing, or my my rate sheet needs to be increased dramatically. So I was talking to my my financial advisor shout out to you, Angelie, and I was sharing her with her how much my keynote is and she was like, that's it. It should be double, and I was like double, that seem like a lot. I'm just gonna be candid. The current keynote price is fifty thousand dollars and I thought I was a lot of money, and she's like it should be one hundred, and I was like a hundred onduli who are keeno for me? And she was like yes, She said, I have over fifty clients and some of them, you know, they're all high wealth, high networth individuals, and some of them, you know, a handful of them are in have a similar business model to you. And I said okay, and she said, and not one of them charges less than one hundred thousand for a keynote. And I said okay. And she said, you know the difference though, between you and them. I was like no. She said, they're all less qualified and white men. And I was like, she was like, all of these, you know, some of the handful of guys that from my clients tell that they're white men. They charge double. They don't have New York Times bestsellers. They did not write along the State of New Jersey. They're not NAACP Award nominies. They don't have a streaming documentary on Netflix. They weren't the first black women to cover Money magazine. They don't have Webby Awards. Okay, Brian ambition. So she was like, oh, She's like, I've been working with you for the last four years, Tiffany, and if I stack up your accomplishments in business to other folks and not to say they don't deserve their one hundred thousand for a keynote, but she was like, you damn sure are late to the game and deserving that. And so that's why when I'm not just saying like, oh, because this many I'm gonna be but no, I'm like, yes, measure teach me the way I am. Literally as soon as we hang out, I'm going to be your first purchase, because you know, I have a hard time with like negotiating, because I do have sometimes even some brands that will push back on paying. And I want to be able to say because the truth is, I want to get this book, and then I'm gonna have my admin Rose get her own copy and it don't wait, roles were gonna do't wry, We're gonna pay for it. Because I want her to start to learn that when a brand reaches out or a place for me to speak, I want her to take over negotiating like this is Tiffany's rates, and I want her to have the language and necessary So I'm just like, eh, Andy's helping all with this new but we've got to be rich.
Speaker 2: You make me want to do a whole chapter on brand deals. That's well, I love you having I should Yeah, maybe the next edition, but I I want what I What I feel is powerful about having a template in a script is even if you don't end up using the word for word thing, but having language that people can see, like even for you and Rose to sit down and work on. So, what are the most common pushbacks or questions that we get from people? And then here's what our canned sort of like go to response will be fill in the blank. And just having that because like you know, Rose, being an assistant maybe hasn't been put in that position before. So yeah, equipping her with that.
Speaker 1: When you have the.
Speaker 2: Language and the words, you just go in feeling more confident. I kind of you know, have you ever heard that what is it Sirrah? Now? That old like? Is it a musical? Is it Shakespeare? I don't know, but it's the one where where he writes the love letters for his friend and that gives the friend the confidence to like go wo whatever her name is. I'm sure it's very beautiful and I feel like it's similar, you know, if you if you feel like you're lacking that confidence to actually have someone give you those words and to feel more confident, like, hell, yeah, I love that, and I mean, like, of course you should. What I love about that anecdote too, about your financial planner telling you that's something that I could never have told you because I don't work with people who make that much money, right, But what you've just proven again is like surrounding yourselves with people who do have a lens into the rooms that you are now working your way in, because they help you level up and they help you understand your worth. And that's nothing that you're ever going to get from like a glassdoor dot com. They don't have glassdoor dot coms for the budgetistas and the influencers of the world, you know. So I feel like that's highly motivational to me too, and for anyone listening who may maybe feels like, oh, one hundred thousand dollars, I can't relate, But what you can relate to is talking to What you can get from that is the importance of speaking to other people who are at a different level, who work in different fields, and interact with people that are, you know, where you want to be, because they can help you understand how to navigate and understand what to expect, and I hope you immediately yeah, raise that, yeah, raise that, now that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly like, I yeah, I because I can understand thinking one hundred because fifteen years ago, five years ago, I would be like, are you crazy. I'm never going to make you know that much because my intention was to go from fifty to sixty five, which even now I'm not gonna lie. I'm blown away. Every time at seventy says yes to fifty, I'm like, wow, really, you know, so I'm still in the like wall, well, I'm still adjusting to fifty, you know, so to jump to a hundred is scary. And she was just like no, you know, Tiffany, like I'm telling you because to your point, and I think to me and this is like, you know, our kind of like our our core lesson here. It is so important to talk about finances openly because had I not shared that with Angelie, she could not have given me that feedback. It's like going to your doctor and not telling them, like, you know, my NIE's been aching for for three months and I've got this pain in the back of my neck, not knowing that that's related and that could be sign of like meningitis or something like that. It's important that with the financial or the people that you work with, whether it's your business, whether it's your personal finance, you give the whole picture. I'm going through a divorce, I'm thinking about having a baby, we're working on IVF. Because knowing the whole picture allows like the people who are helping you to be like, oh, now that I know that, my advice shifts to when it comes to your finance or your business or whatever your career. You know. So like if you're working with Mandy as a career coach, right, so if she knows that you're actually, you know, trying to have a baby, and she might be like, oh, actually knowing that, actually I want you to do this instead, you know. So like it's just I think that is like a huge, huge lesson to end on today, which is that like, you know, not being afraid to ask for help, you know, finding people on a team that you can really trust, sharing the whole complete picture, because I would not have known, you know, I always felt lucky to get fifty. And she's like, girl, they're probably looking like we got that girl again, And so she was like now and so you know, so yeah, I just think that, Yeah, this is just so and it's just so perfectly a line we're always I feel like me and Mandy be like Lockstep, like wait, I need a thing. Man, It's like, just did it. I'm like you did it, and many's like trying to figure out a thing. I'm like, just finish that. She's like, you did so. Honestly, when I tell you I'm excited about I'm literally like, if you just told me that there was a random girl who was a career coach and she had this guide, I would be going to get it. I'm not getting it because it's Mandy. I'm getting it because I'm like, oh my gosh, I need this so badly, and it's like, oh the extra bonus.
Speaker 2: It's mandra, Oh thank you so much. That's so exciting to me too. And I will be like, Tippy need this. She's tipping the budget. But you're right, all of us have our strengths and weaknesses. So yeah, I hope that you guys enjoy it. I'm excited to hear the feedback. I can't wait to hear how much more money y'all get with these scripts. Okay, so maybebody gonna come home slash shop.
Speaker 1: You should say those you know how like when people do fundraisers at school, you should have people so that way you could show how much money you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You should do one of the monitor Yeah that's thermometers, like.
Speaker 1: You should, because that'd be really powerful. Like I've helped you know, ten thousand women make over one hundred million dollars. Like that's really powerful. You should ask people like to fill out some form so we could like generate that number for you.
Speaker 2: Ooh okay, maybe I will. Speaking from the queen of platform and marketing and launching, yes, maybe I should. My whole plan was just talk about it on the podcast and then yes that's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very No, you should, because I would say I would love like a monthly Imagine you did a monthly update Mandy for on your socials where you show that you know that you know, you go to cana and you create, you show that whatever the you know, the measuring stick is and you say, like, you know, we're up to three hundred women and we've gotten they've made an additional you know, this month was three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Girl, Becau's what I want to know how much more money have people gotten? Yes, the illustrate you oprah million. Yes, illustrate your Oprah. That'll be like, oh my gosh, we hit a million dollars, a million dollars more in the hands of women as it relates to their businesses or or careers or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's huge. Honestly, you should do a monthly. It should be like the same to every like the fifteenth or the first or whatever of every month, where you're like, you know and call it something because you know how I have thoughtful Thursdays at my mentor Tiffany dot com, right, So you should call it something where it's like Mandy money Update or whatever. You know, it mean something. So that way we all know, like on the first of the month or the thirtieth or whatever, we tune in to your platforms to see like, oh my gosh, what's the number. I'm telling you that's how you illustrate your oprah.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds so cool. I'm definitely gonna do that. Hell yeah, I'm like thinking about I need to go through all my emails, my testimonials and like add up all the numbers. How much bepoopepoop pe boop. Oh, thanks tiff Well, I cannot back to back to back to Tiffany and Get Smart with Money. By the way, I love that they just like casually ripped off your book title.
Speaker 1: It's fine, but those who don't know my book is called Get Good with Money, and they love the title so much. I was like, yeah, but it's mine, so they called it Get Smart with Money. I'm like, that's cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. The trademark attorneys like damn it just close enough but not too close. September sixth, y'all, So if you're listening to this podcast on Wednesday, it means yesterday was the premiere of Tiffany's documentary on Netflix. So get your cousins, your brothers, your neighbors, log in, go to Netflix stream Get Smart with Money, and support Tiffany. Tag us and any posts. So tag at the Budgetista, tag at Brown Vision podcast on ig head her up on Twitter, budgets the budget Neista on Twitter, at the ba podcast on Twitter for us, and let us know what you think of TIFFs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like some as in, in order to get to the top ten, they look at hours, so watch do dishes and watch let that thing run. So you can watch like you know, don't just pick your head.
Speaker 2: And watch watch it all. Okay, congrat stuff, Okay, wait to celebrate with you snips Aliens. Hey ba fan, we could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.