Speaker 1: Sabrina, do you like going fast?
Speaker 2: I do if I'm driving. I do not like being like on the back of a seado or even when Jordan drives his car really fast, I get really nervous. But if I'm driving, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Do you I mean, are you one of those speeding tickets? Oh do you do you have speel?
Speaker 3: Are you a speeding ticket?
Speaker 1: Lady?
Speaker 2: So many? It's crazy, It's crazy, really, yeah, what is so My insurance is.
Speaker 1: Just I'm curious? What is so many?
Speaker 2: I think I am like pretty much constantly at that. What do you get three points?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I don't think I've got one speeding ticket fifteen years ago?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, no, I swear. I it's like whenever one drops off, it's like not long after that, I I'm the worst. Wow, it's bad. It's okay bad, And it's been like that. I think I got my license and then I got my first ticket within probably that first year, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh man, yeah, well maybe Tim put off the right the right thing.
Speaker 2: I know to. To be honest, I just don't like driving anymore because I just because.
Speaker 1: You just assume you're going to be pulled over.
Speaker 2: I've gotten a ticket for not start like being at a red light and kind of being dazed, I guess, and not going and I got pulled over for not going like as fast as I should have. Like I'm just.
Speaker 3: I'm also convinced that certain people are just to track the police. That's me Rider Strong, same way, Rider Strong. It gets tickets. And he's not. He's by no means a bad driver nor speed demon. It's just every time you're in the car with him, you assume you're going to be pulled over.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm like a combination of both because I am a terrible driver and the cops loved correct and I've tried all of the excuses like you know, late for work or I have to go to the bathroom. I'm just and it's like they don't care. But there's other friends that get out of them so easily, Yeah, so easily.
Speaker 3: Well, next time you get pulled over, tell them you're late. For Magical Rewinding. Yes, welcome back to the show people, We are here once again. It's Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the Housers are smart the waves, Tsunamis and Sabrina slowed down a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilfredell and I'm Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Probably not gonna be slowing down. Probably, I've got.
Speaker 1: Nice women and gentlemen. Start your engines because.
Speaker 3: We're talking about the two thousand and three sports d com right on track. Yes, a story about teenage sisters and their absolute favorite pastime, hot dog racing.
Speaker 1: Is that hot rod racing? It's it's it's technically hot rod, but it's not really a hot rod. It's it's a drag racing is really what it is.
Speaker 3: That's what it looks, specialty drag racing cars.
Speaker 1: It's it's another Microworld. We love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so did you ever want to start racing dangerous drag Starce?
Speaker 2: No, It's never been my thing. However, I did get a chance to go to the Indy five hundred in one of the cars and do a lap around the car, not the draft, like not the Indy car, but on like a convertible corvette or something, and got to sit on the back and do it. And it was like, I couldn't understand why people would get addicted to wanting this. This is like the energy the crowd, the sound.
Speaker 1: I've heard, it's just really truly amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's it's unreal.
Speaker 3: I've never been a car racer guy, but I love cars, so who knows anyway. This film originally aired on March twenty first, two thousand and three, and whether Sabrina wanted to race doesn't matter because this one is based on a true story. Yes, we've got another double team situation going on here.
Speaker 1: Everybody's favorite movie.
Speaker 3: Courtney and Erica Enders, whose childhood dream was to race in the NHR Junior Dragster Nationals and break the glass ceiling in the boys dominated sport. It's all real people, Yes, and a bit of a spoiler here. Erica did end up turning pro in two thousand and five by participating in nhr's Power Aid series. Then in twenty twelve, she became the first woman to win it All when she defeated Greg Anderson on Live TV, and she'd go on to become one of the sport's premier names, now a six time eliminator national champ.
Speaker 1: Totally cool.
Speaker 3: Her sister, Courtney no longer races, but has a career in the sport. She is Erica's brand manager, and works for Elliott Motorsports and Flow Racing, which is a media company focused on well, very fast cars. Now, let's not get this movie confused with one of our favorites, if not our favorite, which is Miracle and Lane two. That is soapbox Racing, and that's the dcom starring Frankie Munez. Though the sports are similar, drag racing is the one that will get you killed and many, many, many fatal accidents. The worst thing that really can happen in soapbox racing is you find out, well you're allergic to the soap. I'm kidding, You'll probably just get bruised if you crash, which is which we saw, which we saw Frankie Minaz do. The Ender Sisters first caught national attention as kids when People magazine wrote a feature about them. Then the movie was made with the teenagers, and yes they did all the stunt driving you see in the film, which is pretty awesome. I figured as much, but that's pretty cool. They also show up in the film in cameos and a really neat stat here is that when this decom first came out, twenty five percent of drag racers were women, and now today it is fifty.
Speaker 1: Percent half of all drag racers are.
Speaker 3: Women, and as usual, this movie's available to stream on Disney Plus. Whether you decide to turn off the podcast right now to watch or decide to listen to us first, that's not really any of our business. To be honest, we're kind of offended that you even asked us to be involved in the process. Have some boundaries for Christ's sake. And now let's get into the very fun cast. There are some really recognizable names up top, which is always fun and a reason that this one is still talked about. But first, before the big race, to participate in a little time trial we call a synopsis. Sisters Erica and Coordney enders break barriers in the male dominated world drag racing. But as family tensions rise and competition intensifies, the young girls must prove their talent, resilience, and belief in themselves to succeed on and off the track. Sabrina, let's push the pedal of the metal here. What are your early thoughts would you think of the film?
Speaker 2: I was actually very excited to watch this. I don't remember really watching it. I obviously knew what it was about, but the cast itself was something that I was really excited to see how they did with the d com. So I was excited, and to me, I love the very beginning where it starts off as our main character as a little girl watching her dad and then swiftly going into starting to make her dreams come true. I was in it from the beginning, like literally locked in ready to watch a great dcom.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel the same way.
Speaker 3: This to me is the ultimate model of dcom based on a true story, sports related, probably better than Tamed Like.
Speaker 2: So I was good and I felt I love that. It felt, like you said, like a true d coom, like what the d coms were formulated as. There was no like musical moment that gave it its own sparkle. It was really focused on the storyline and you know, the drama, the commitment, the dedication, the passion. I'm in let's go wheels are turning, ready to roll.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: I agree, old school Disney kind of concept. We're gonna take young We're gonna find kids that are in a microworld where they're excelling, and we're gonna make a movie about them.
Speaker 1: Dig it. Yes.
Speaker 3: Now, for the director, we have a somewhat familiar name, Dwayne Dunham. He's best known as the acclaimed editor on movies like Return of the Jedi. We talked about this guy all the time, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, and Twin Peaks, which you want an Emmy four. But we know him as the director of Halloween Town, the thirteenth Year Double teamed. Yes, and now you see it. A great dcom second stringer if you ask. And as I mentioned, we have an exciting cast here. First up a power name in twenty twenty six Hollywood bre Larson. Yes, Larsen was a child actor who we've seen in similar dcom roles, but now she plays younger sister Courtney. Larson is now an Oscar winner for her part in twenty sixteen's Room, and has been seen in a lot of movies with numbers in their titles, like twenty one, Jump Street, Short Term twelve, and Fast ten. But she also appeared in TV show's Lesson in Chemistry and soon she'll be the voice of Rosalina in the Super Mario sequel. But nowadays she's most recognizable as Captain Marvel from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Let's add her to the list of possibly most famous to have ever been in a d coom.
Speaker 1: Are you a Brie Larson fan?
Speaker 2: You know I didn't recognize her at first, and then halfway through the movie, I went, Oh, my gosh, yes, and I just saw the Super Mario Brother preview, I think, and that makes me really excited to know that her voice is going to be included in it.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Well I can know her, I don't. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean shocking to me.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: But I can tell you I can be the first one to say that Bree Larsen herself will, under no circumstances ever be coming on our podcast.
Speaker 1: I can tell you that's like never gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So a little bit will Yeah, I wish you would. No, sometimes you do. And then my old friend Beverly Mitchell, and I ask who I do know. Beverly Mitchell is the lead as Erica Enders. Beverly was very popular at the time for her work as Lucy Camden on the long running TV drama Seventh Heaven. She also appeared in Saw to the Crow, City of Angels and a slew.
Speaker 1: Of Christmas movies.
Speaker 3: But right now she's one of our podcast peers, she recaps Seventh Heaven on Catching Up with the Camdens. Also, Beverly in this movie is playing Erica, a fifteen year old, and in real life she was twenty two. But Beverly looked so young it really didn't bump, you know, which is rare for a daco.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I know. That's one of the things about this movie that I just couldn't get over. I kept going, I wonder how old she really is because I remember in Seventh Heaven she was playing younger. She's older than Jessica bial right, Yes, I think, yeah, I think that was a thing. Like she played the younger.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and three, she was twenty two. I was twenty five. Yeah, so yeah, she's not that much younger than me.
Speaker 1: Oh. We won't get too much into her age though.
Speaker 2: Oh no, but I'm just saying just she just looks so amazing and plays It's great because she's got she brings a maturity level she does and her acting abilities to so great, and she she does this so well well.
Speaker 3: Also, the thing that's amazing is Bree was playing was thirteen, playing an eleven year old, so the two co stars were twenty two and thirteen, so probably didn't hang out a whole lot. And then we've got veteran actor John Linstrom plays dad Greg with two g's Enders. Lyndstrom has shown up on General Hospital as doctor Kevin Collins and on and off for forty years, wow, on't off for forty years, and somehow starred in nine hundred and eighteen episodes of another soap opera called Port Charles. And as we all know, anybody who's been on soap opera's, nine hundred and eighteen episodes of a soap opera is three months worth of work.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: But his first role ever was in the TV movie Facts of Life Goes to Paris.
Speaker 1: How I've never seen that. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I've never known about that one. Well, we've got to look at that one.
Speaker 3: Then you take the good, you take the bad, you take them all to Paris.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to see that.
Speaker 3: More recently, you've seen him in BOSH n cis Los Angeles Beyond the Gates and True Detective Jody Russell is mom Janet Lee, and she is no stranger to Magical rewinders.
Speaker 1: You know her from Go Figure.
Speaker 3: She also played the sports mom in that one, so Disney has a real plan to type cast her and a familiar face for me and Podmets World listeners.
Speaker 1: It's Marcus Toji as Randy Jones.
Speaker 3: Marcus was a busy child actor, most famously in Karina Karina or is it Karina Corinna? It's two names, either Karina Karna or Karina Carina, but there's two and Little Giants. But would also appear on TV shows like Family Matters, Party of Five, and two episodisodes of Boy Meets World. He is still showing up in Patriot and Workaholics, but most of his work is in the field of voiceovers like me on shows like Rainbow, Bright Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and the Legend of Cora. Now, sure drag races are fast, but what about this movie fast lane or slow lane? What are we talking about when it comes to runtime people? The only thing that matters when it comes to films, well right on track is the perfect title.
Speaker 1: Because it's eighty nine minutes Bingo baby.
Speaker 3: Sure it's off the target, but it's one short, not long. Thrilled to see it and I approve for the script. We have two writers. Firstus Sally Nemath. She was predominantly a law and order writer.
Speaker 1: Dun dung, dun, dun dun dud duh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm in the middle of watching a bunch of law and orders right now, so you have to wonder how she was thrown into the Disney Rolodex. No clue, but Sally, if you're out there listening, let us know. But the other credited writer is a little more obvious for a dcom. It's Bruce Graham, who also wrote Anastasia, A Ring of Endless Light, and Tiger Cruz for the studio. He was also the mind behind the Monkey Hotel Clerk movie, Dunston Checks in It Has to Be a Fever Dream, and the nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: Christian Slater film Twisted.
Speaker 3: So let's get out the checker flag because we're taking into the Nationals.
Speaker 1: It's time to get right on track. We open at dawn.
Speaker 3: A suburban garage door opens to reveal a hot rod drag racer being everybody's gonna be like, it's not a hot rod, but it's a hot rod drag racer for us. Being wheeled out, a dad is pushing his young daughter in the driver's seat while narrating a fictional race. She's pretending to drive and win, but now it's time for her dad to go. She begs him to tag along, but she can't this time, and so he drives off in a truck towing the hot rod, and Erica waves goodbye, yelling rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Daddy stick him, and then we get our title right on track.
Speaker 3: Now at the track with the dad, Greg Enders getting ready to compete on well Track's lane. Two Yes, back at the house credits tell us that it's based on the life of the Ender sisters, while two chuds yes I'm saying chuds on bicycles bully Erica about having train wheels, but she's not having it. She tells the thug she can beat them anytime in a race, and so they find themselves the starting line just at the same time her father finds himself in the same situation. The green flag flies and everyone is off to the races. Greg hits the afterburners just as Erica's training wheels pop off.
Speaker 1: They both speed off.
Speaker 3: Winning their races, then celebrating, and then we jump to four years later. There's a lot of time jumps at the beginning. Here, a group of high school students is working with Clay, and now we see a young lady making a perfectly sculpted hot rod. It's Erica, now older, but just is obsessed with racing. And this is when I ask myself.
Speaker 1: Isn't this movie about sisters? We hadn't seen any sisters yet.
Speaker 3: That night, Erica begs her mom to join a new racing league in her area called the Junior Dragsters. She swears it's safe for dad kind of agrees the cars only go sixty miles an hour and when you're you know, eleven sixties not that much, and she'll be in.
Speaker 1: A fire suit and harness.
Speaker 3: But I always told the fire suits are just there to keep all your organs in for when you crash.
Speaker 1: But her mom, genetly isn't having it.
Speaker 3: And then we meet her little sister, Courtney, Yes, sister's here, who acts like a little snitch and.
Speaker 1: Calls racing dangerous while eating ice cream.
Speaker 3: Both girls go off to bed so the parents can talk out the racing situation alone. Janet knows that racers can die, which you know they can, and isn't sure what to do. But next were just thrown into her first ever NHR junior drag racing event. The track is packed, and now kids eight to sixteen will finally get the chance to race, just like pros. Erica's there so obviously her mom folded like a futon. Everything's coming together, but her dad is confronted by a redneck blue acid.
Speaker 1: Letting a little girl race is a good addia.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, my gosh.
Speaker 3: And just in case you didn't know she was a little girl, her hot rod is pink with enders racing.
Speaker 1: Written on the side, and frankly, I thought it was the coolest looking one there.
Speaker 2: I did too. I loved hers. I thought it was awesome, except for I think they took it one step too far with what they had, like gold sequence in the inline, like the in like the inside of the car deck. Bro oh no, that was just like one step Like yeah, I think we could have waited, like you just passed on that. The pink, everything pink and black. She looks chic, she looks ready.
Speaker 3: That was cool great. I thought she had the best looking car there. Mine, by the way, would be green. I decided I had a long conversation with my wife last night that if I was ever thrown into a drag racing car.
Speaker 1: I'd want to speak green because it's my favorite color.
Speaker 2: Noted, No, there you go.
Speaker 3: People are even oh, by the way, if you are going to get me a late Christmas gift, green hot run, okay, people are even heckling. As she walks to the starting line to prep the engine, her dad gives her some last words of encouragement and tells her if she loses, she's no longer part.
Speaker 1: Of the family. I'm kidding, I added that, and.
Speaker 3: The announcers accidentally call her Eric because there's no way it's a girl.
Speaker 1: That would be nuts.
Speaker 3: A girl driver genetly is filming it all with her giant camcorder, and Erica is about to face Randy Jones. He's a cute boy who's a little nervous that he'll lose to a girl. But then we get red light, yellow light, green light, and young Randy does.
Speaker 1: Lose to a girl. Erica wins.
Speaker 3: Later that day at the track, Eric and her dad are celebrating with a little trophy when she notices a much bigger one. It's for the winner of the Nationals, and she tells her dad one day she's gonna win it. Her dad keeps her expectations in line, but thinks she could win it one day. But any kid who gets behind the wheel wants to win the Nationals, and there's a difference between wanting something and actually getting it, so she has to stay strong, which is exactly what I say about eating an entire pumpkin pie in one sitting, which someday I'll be able to do. I'm sorry, I'm looking off pretending I'm thinking about eating a whole pumpkin pie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, as a social clip, if just one from Costco. I'm really going to have some feelings there. Giant.
Speaker 3: They are giant, and someday I can do it, and I don't like you stepping on my dreams.
Speaker 2: All right, well we'll see.
Speaker 3: But you know who is in stepping on Erica's dreams her dad, because Erica knows that she'll win the Nationals one day, even though Sabena doesn't think I can finish the whole pie, but she's going to wait and see. And then we jumped to seven years later. I did not know i'd be doing math for this movie. But fine, they're now in their forties.
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 3: Following what's happening with the jumping, but we are back in the garage and excited. Erica is behind the wheel of a brand new hot rod, and also Courtney's there finally behind the wheel of the old pink one, still being a little brat, but now she's racing too. Eric is moving up an age group and her dad warns her that means more work and more traveling. The girls that need to keep straight a's if they want to travel to the race, and if they get seized, the cars will be taken away. A deal is made and we officially have two kid racers and their girls.
Speaker 1: Did you know that their girls? Could you tell they were girls? That wasn't pointed out at all in the film.
Speaker 2: I did actually enjoy this teaching moment or a parent moment of like a if you can stay in, we're all in b we take away state chance like state state travels. See you're out altogether. That that sets some goals and it keeps things in perspective. It was great.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great till a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Yes, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like come on, dude, but any yeah, we'll get in wet.
Speaker 2: This is better than some of the most of my friends were encouraged to get good grades by getting money. I think it was like fifty bucks for an A, Oh my god, buy for a B. And if you got a C you owed your parents twenty five. It was like this crazy, oh my god. I think I got like maybe ten dollars for an A or something.
Speaker 3: Hence why you got money for a's. I got, Yeah, you should be getting a's. You're smart enough to get a's. Little to your potential get a's.
Speaker 1: I never did. I just always we won't get into migraine.
Speaker 2: I think this was a better thing, like, you know, because it's it's keeping you in line of like this isn't going to get out of control and your studies go away.
Speaker 3: I think the principle of it when you're first starting something like this, yeah makes sense.
Speaker 1: But then we'll get into a little later what I actually think about it.
Speaker 3: So we cut to Houston, Texas. It's a big junior tournament and Eric has made the finals. Did you think kids this age who literally can't drive on the street should be able to drive these fast cars?
Speaker 2: At first, I was in it, But then when we get to a part where it does become very like clear that like there's no driver's license, I'm like there's got to be some kind of courses that they go through and enable I'm sure in order to do some type of licensing, is what I was assuming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jeremy a friend of Jerremy in high school who raced like the high high power go karts, like the things that did one hundred miles an hour and slid around the track, and he was doing that from the time he was like twelve.
Speaker 1: So I I'm cool with it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get the idea that it's like, if you're really good at something, you're really good at something.
Speaker 1: But it does mean weird a.
Speaker 2: Lot of training. That's what I'm saying. There's got to be some type of they have to take certain training courses, sure, And in that case, that's what driver's license like training is too, So it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But we also live in a country where there are ages that are just completely and totally arbitrary, Like you can go to war and get married, but you can't have a beer at your wedding. So there are ages where they're just like, we're going to pick this number for one age in this age, right, So it's you know, if you're at thirteen and I think there's place I could be wrong, so please write Sabrina all the emails because I don't want to read.
Speaker 1: Them if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: But I think there's certain places in the country still where like, especially if you work on a farm as a kid, you can get certain licenses at thirteen and fourteen to like drive the big equipment and stuff like that. So I think that's still a thing. But yeah, it didn't bother me. It's such a cool little microworld that again it didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I and I assume because safety is such a big issue in the micro world that there are, like I said, some type of classes that they have to like they have to pass some kind of tests and able to like actually.
Speaker 1: Race you sure it would be fun, especially.
Speaker 2: And knowing the age classes goes up, the cars go up, the muscle you get, like, yeah, they get more muscle. So I'm assuming there's got to be some kind of protocol. They just don't go into it.
Speaker 1: Well, it is time for the finals.
Speaker 3: It's Erica versus Jordan Nolton, who may have a gender neutral first name, but it's a dude. His crew chief is his dad, a former Top Fuel National runner up, and despite just being a runner up.
Speaker 1: He's a champion face.
Speaker 3: Already trash talking to Greg about his daughter needing Kleenex when she I mean, this guy was such an and I was yelling at the screen. You came in second twice, Yeah, what high horse are you traveling on?
Speaker 2: And Also the thing that pissed me off is just knowing, like my micro world, like dance parents and stuff like this is not an over exaggeration a characterization of how their parents can be when they're way too invested in their kid's hobby. It's like this is real and not just it. I instantly hated this.
Speaker 1: Man, like me too.
Speaker 2: I hated everything. I just it was so easy to dislike him knowing that there are actual parents out there that would say something like that about a child in front of a child in.
Speaker 1: Front of them. Yes, no, it was infuriating.
Speaker 3: Also, if you're gonna make fun of Greg about anything, make fun of the fact that he spells his name with two g's.
Speaker 2: Or maybe something else. We shall get into that.
Speaker 3: Okay, both cars are now ready and set, so the only thing left is a green light. They're both off to a great start, positioning back and forth, but in the end Jordi wins, and his jerkass.
Speaker 1: Dad rubs it in greg'ss.
Speaker 3: A little later, Eric is forced to watch Jordi celebrate while she wallows. Her dad encourages her to go and shake Jordie's hand, even if he's a jerk, so they decide to approach him together. This is a great message, you got to learn how to lose to The two racers do shake hands, but Jordie's dad still calls her a loser and says racing isn't for little girls because of course his son won by what two milliseconds, so you shouldn't be in the sport at all. He encourages her to quit once again, and Greg, being the proud dad, does absolutely nothing, literally doesn't even say.
Speaker 2: Any Greg, you're getting there on my list, sir.
Speaker 3: So I get you don't have to swing it the guy for something like that, but call him a or say something about his kids, say something you're only a run.
Speaker 2: Grow up your family up a little bit. Yes, it didn't have to be as nasty in any sense, because I do like he's like the moral compass of this movie and very helpful in that way for his daughter. However, you gotta say something you don't not, I mean, otherwise, this douche is just gonna keep doing it. That's the hard part. You gotta put your foot down in some way.
Speaker 1: And this is the perfect thing.
Speaker 3: Would have been for him to turn to his daughter right in front of the guy and be like, see, this is what I'm talking about, good winners, bad winners, good losers, bad losers.
Speaker 1: This is a bad winner.
Speaker 2: And can't blame this the idiot because he's never won so exactly, and I would go I would have gotten a little I mean, bear would be real hot.
Speaker 3: This, by the way, is now the third instance of someone pushing them around without any repercussions whatsoever. That night, Eric is doing some race prep, working on a green light reaction time with a little computer. I want this when her sister annoys her with a feather, I just want to see how I.
Speaker 1: Do you know me?
Speaker 2: Every time a d com brings out some kind of mechanical thing, I'm like, first of all, is that real?
Speaker 1: It's gotta be I imagine that's right.
Speaker 2: It was such a cool little gadget. I was like interested into it.
Speaker 3: And so what I'm guessing it is for the people that haven't maybe watched the movie or whatever, So it's it's the light that they have that starts the race. And I think the button she pushes at the end is the button you push. I don't think you just hit the gas. I think there's other things you have to do in the car. I don't know, Oh really, I think you have to hit So she's like doing her reaction. Time to do what you actually have to do in the car, I could again send all your I don't know if there was.
Speaker 2: An extra button, but it definitely is like getting on that light, not going before it. You know, that would be one hundred percent where I would lose, like every race you jump starting. Yeah, there's no way I'd be able to sit or I'd just be so well like.
Speaker 1: Figure it out, but figure it out. You'd figure it out.
Speaker 3: You're a dancer. Timing is so important in dancing. I think you would.
Speaker 1: Figure it out.
Speaker 2: That is a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think you'd figure it out.
Speaker 2: Thank you always got my back here.
Speaker 3: Of course not Courtney wants to try, uh this little thing she's playing with, and of course the very first time beats Erica's time. These girls are starting to look like the Mannings. Of junior hot rod racing, but Courtney doesn't seem as into the sport as their sister. She's just a natural talent, apparently, and even though it's bedtime, Erica wants to stay up practicing. She hates losing and hates Jordi even more. Her mom warns her about being obsessed. Are these trophies really worth it? Eric admits it's not just the trophy. She likes inside a hot rod where she belongs. And also, this is where I'm I have no problem as long as it doesn't become an obsession. That's horrible. I have no problem with somebody wanting to excel and be the best at what they do, and I'm going to do what I have to do to be the best at what we need more of that.
Speaker 2: Not like I would be so stoked if that was my kid, like yeah, sure, okay, ten more minutes. You know, if that was what my kid was doing, oh, I'd be saying.
Speaker 1: And your grades are up anyway, and you're doing anything else. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We want more of the younger generation to want.
Speaker 2: To call it an obsession. I think it's more so just you know, I get you wanting to make sure that's not the only focus in the world. But yeah, I would be so stoked if my kid was like excelling at something and wanted nothing more than to just practice, practice, practice.
Speaker 3: And apparently there's an old saying that a true champion is somebody that hates losing more than they likes winning more than they like winning, right, And I think that's that's important. Again, it doesn't have to be the end all, be all of your life, but it do. We if you're gonna do something, do it right. Yes, So anyway, she belongs in the hot rod. She calls herself an alien because all she wants to do is race. Her mom encourages her to be nicer to herself and says she's not an alien. But what if she said she was, then it'd be a totally different movie. And maybe she turned into a bubble.
Speaker 2: It'd be Zenon or no, the Bubble.
Speaker 1: Movie where they they just turn into gas bubbles.
Speaker 2: God, No, I can't do the bubble again.
Speaker 1: You could just turn into gas bubbles.
Speaker 3: We're doing it again. We're rewatching Gas Bubble movie. Next day, Erica catches Courtney in the hot rod, pretending to race. Courtney says she can't wait until she gets to drive a real hot rod and doesn't get why her sister takes it all so seriously. We have a real difference in approach here, and it feels like this is going to be the crux of the film.
Speaker 1: Now we're in French class.
Speaker 3: We Erica is passing notes with a friend named Luanne, and it's an invite to a party on Saturday with lots of chocolate and hot guys. You know those old famous high school chocolate hot guy parties.
Speaker 1: My favorite kind of party, your favorite kind of parties. I'm telling you a chocolate fountain.
Speaker 3: And some guy named Doug. But Erica can't because she has a race. And the next thing you know, we're on another raceway in Dallas, but this time it's Courtney in the pink car. She gets the green light and easily wins. Her dad and Erica are thrilled, but when it's announced that she's broken a record previously set by her sister, Erica, her older sister is annoyed.
Speaker 1: Erica does congratulate her, but it's pretty hollow.
Speaker 3: We're back in the family RV now, and Courtney wonders why Erica wears makeup to the race. When she's just gonna wear a helmet anyway. We don't get an answer and it never comes up again, but we do get a knock on the door from a Jerry Trammel from National Dragster Magazine, big fan the National Drags NDM.
Speaker 1: So what I used to call it? Eric, I've never heard of National Drags.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's a real what god it must be.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing National Dragster Magazine is probably a or was back in the day. I'm guessing that was probably a real magazine. They had magazines for everything back in the day because there was no website.
Speaker 1: Erica assumes he wants to talk to her, but he wants to talk to Courtney. Yes, a rivalry is brewing.
Speaker 3: Later on, Erica is complaining to her friend and former racing opponent Randy Jones. She's happy for her sister, but it drives her crazy how well she's doing.
Speaker 1: And that's not a pun. She's even jealous of how natural Courtney is.
Speaker 3: In all the interviews, Erica admits talking about racing makes her nervous and tongue tied. Everything including racing, just comes easier for her. Randy says some nice stuff to Erica, but seems intimidated by some.
Speaker 1: Cute girls nearby.
Speaker 3: Erica wonders if she's cramping his style, but he admits his love life is non existent. They talk about both being single, and Randy says boys are intimidated by her ability to win, and Randy says that boys are intimidated by Erica and her ability to win races.
Speaker 1: We're now back at school.
Speaker 3: Eric's in the gym warming up for volleyball, watching cute guys play basketball.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they're at the chocolate party.
Speaker 3: But then some other girls bully Erica about racing her friends from earlier, the one with the chocolate and hot boy party. That one lu Anne tells her not to worry, they're just jealous. Then during hitting drills, the bullies don't let up. They say drag racing is in a real sport, and then, unlike her dad, Erica actually stands up for herself. And it was I think at this point where I realized just how much bullying was actually in this movie, which frankly was probably par for the course in the early nineties, was probably real.
Speaker 2: I it would be real now I would assume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, it's awful.
Speaker 3: The two girls say sitting on your button a car doesn't take any athletic ability, but Erica mentions the g forces and the lung pressure, schooling them on the coordination and how one mistake could lead to well death. She spikes the volleyball and proves her point. That night, Erica complains for her dad, even though she has the same time as Geordie. He has tons of sponsors and she can't even get one.
Speaker 1: It's just not fair.
Speaker 3: She knows that her dad spends a lot of money on her car and wants to help. Greg admits that it's not fair and decides to find sponsors himself.
Speaker 1: She just needs to focus on the racing.
Speaker 3: And the next day, well, they didn't have to wait very long because Greg, with two g's, has bad news. He couldn't get his boss to chip in money because people around town are upset.
Speaker 1: Erica keeps beating the boys.
Speaker 3: He promises that once she's in the nationals, though, they'll have to pay attention. We're now back at volleyball. Erica slams into a ball bin shoulder first. She's clearly injured, but doesn't want to see a doctor. If she tells her parents, she won't be able to race that night. Erica falls asleep while studying and her mom noticed this is the volleyball bruise while tucking her in. She immediately tells Greg and he's worried that he's pushing her too hard for the Nationals.
Speaker 1: Is this for her or is this for him?
Speaker 3: Is kind of what she's wondering, and he admits he was a little jealous at first, but her passion for racing is undeniable. She has natural instincts which he doesn't want to ignore. Her talent handed down from God. Jened also worries both Erica and Courtney are missing out on normal kid stuff and now is time for the weekend's race. Jordie is talking to Jerry Trammel from that Dragster magazine, a beat reporter who apparently is very involved in regional junior drag racing. Erica and Randy, who is now her pit crew or in her pit crew and wearing very cool nineties oakly shades, walk by and notice Jordie. Erica is determined to beat him this time, and with his time trial run at eight point nine to one seconds, she proves she can, finishing with eight point eight nine On her way back to the RV, she decides to say hello to Jordy and his dad. She throws him some Kleenex for when she wumps him in the finals. This girl has a real mamba mentality, and her dad is disappointed with her attitude. He was embarrassed and she shouldn't down to their level as a store winner. He admits he wanted to stand up to them in the past, but it cheapens them. They eventually make up and the lesson was learned. And this is where to me, the d com really kind of shines through, because he has these little messages of like, you got to learn how to lose. It's almost more important to learn how to lose than it is to learn how to win. You got to learn how to do both. And I thought the scenes like this were really great.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think that's what has always been something that I've loved about the d coms in generals, Like a good dcom has these great messages that aren't like constantly shoved in your face, but are like right there underlining. And I love this aspect because it is true, you know you can't. I teach that to my dancers a lot when you win, it's not. I mean, obviously, share your moment with your teammates, but you don't turn around and like scoff or look down at anyone else, because any other given day, the scores could change, because you could go out there and trip or do something that takes that trophy away. And it's just as important to be a good winner as it is to be a good loser. Give everyone the chobs that they deserve when they win. You know, I agree, And it's a hard thing at this age of this character in the movie to really grasp and to really put into their lifestyle. It is a tough one to do. It takes a while to sink in.
Speaker 3: I agree one hundred percent. And now it's time for the finals, and as you could predict it, it's Erica versus Jordi. It's the one we've all been waiting for. And then Erica hits the gas before the green light, disqualifying her before the races even started.
Speaker 1: Womp.
Speaker 3: Jordi is the winner in a very anti climactic ending, and it was like damn, now Erica is back in French class, not paying attention. It's that she has her little reaction time machine is trying her best to beat a record. She's caught by the teacher mid lecturer, who takes the gadget away and says, that's not ball, that's French for good.
Speaker 1: I think anyway, I don't know. I don't either. And now it's another racing weekend.
Speaker 3: Courtney and Gregor are working on a car when they're approached by a man named Will Coleman from Team penz Oil.
Speaker 1: They all have names like that.
Speaker 3: His daughter is a huge fan of Erica's and if she can show some talent today, he may be able to convince his bosses to sponsor her.
Speaker 1: Greg makes Courtney promise not to tell her sister.
Speaker 3: She's already put enough pressure on herself, but they know this is a great possibility for them, and now write At race time with Team Penzoil watching on, Randy notices a clutch bolt is loose on Erica's car. The crew tries to stop her, but once she sees the green light, Erica takes off. Her dad uses their communication device to tell her to stop the car, but the engine won't shut off and she can't stop the drag racer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: She takes off and he then uses this thing to say, stop the car, Stop the car, Stop the car. Why when the clutch bolt and they're like, it's a clutch bolt. Why are they yelling to stop the race? Why doesn't he just go in and go your clutch bolts out, don't hit the gas.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Sheer panic, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Shabe and you need a better cuche.
Speaker 2: Because I also was thinking too this whole time, her buddy's kind of young to be having the job that he has.
Speaker 1: In this movie's young to be having the job.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but I'm just saying like that could just have been like pure panic, Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I know him pretty competent though.
Speaker 3: That that was the whole point is that he's like, he's pretty damn good at what he does. Randy's like, Randy's arguably the most competent one in the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she takes off.
Speaker 3: She can't stop the drag race, and Greg tries to calm her down as emergency vehicles get into place. Her Mama Courtney watch on with baited breath as she bursts through the track safety nets at full speed. She eventually crashes into a rope netting and is knocked out. Sirens wail, and when the first responders arrived, the emergency crew removes her from her car with the jaws of life. Her dad arrives and is immediately supporting her. She's awake and conversing, but is obviously hurt and possibly concussed. She's airlifted out to a nearby hospital. We also get very dramatic music, and that was if I had one serious criticism of this film, it was the music. Real music in this movie was so high handed, so just.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it brought me in.
Speaker 3: Oh god, the music was just like and now we're having a special moment.
Speaker 1: It was just like, okay, it was it's really high handed. This new music brought me.
Speaker 2: And there's some some notable uh songs in the soundtrack as well.
Speaker 3: Are there Okay? I just it was more the score than the sound, than the than the song. The score was the thing where it was just like, there's times that sounded like a Boy Meets World episode where it was just like and it worked for a boy, it worked for like a Friday night TGIF show, but for a movie about drag racing, it was a little yeah got it, okay later yeah later At the hospital. As her family waits for an update, Janet is beating herself up. She doesn't intend on seeing her daughter crash ever again. Then a doctor arrives and informs them that she is dead. Everybody's still with me, and I'm kidding. She has no broken bones or signs of a concussion. She's just going to be sore for a little while.
Speaker 2: I will say this scene was a little with it, with it not being anything like she just has bruises.
Speaker 3: You did just see your kid crash it like eighty miles an hour though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like Courtney's in the window, like it's like you would have known something. You would have known something that it was. We're looking into it. We're just making sure there's no internal damage, you know what I mean. Like it was like awake, going I'm okay, yeah, she's up like doing.
Speaker 1: Jumping jacks in I'm fine going by it.
Speaker 2: Totally fine. But it was a little over the top as far as I really was like, wait, nothing's wrong. I thought this was where we were gonna get an actual like injury. Honestly, I thought this was when Courtney was gonna pick the reins up and start being the main character, Like, oh, yeah, and then there was just nothing. It was like, oh, she's got some bruises, like yeah, but it's fine. This would have been the end for me as a mom that one crash. Sorry, Monroe, I get it. That's your dream.
Speaker 3: We're out here, Yeah, that's this is where it's like, you can't throw somebody into their dream and then pull it from them. No, but that's the problems and we'll get into that later. So no broken bones or signs of a concussion. She's just going to be sore for a while. Everyone's happy, especially Courtney, who finally shows some of that sisterly love we've been hoping for. And back in the track, Randy is fixing her crashed out car. More impressive than a teenage drag race champion is another teenager who can replace a front end and well to rollcage within an hour. Mad respect for Randy my favorite character of the movie. With the car fixed, Erica is determined to make a run, but the races are over for the day, but she doesn't care. She just wants one run to beat whatever fear she has, and which is great. Her mom allows it, and you know, the shaking driver gets into her car. It's obviously a big moment for Erica, even if it means nothing in the overall race. In the end, she conquers her nerves and has her best time yet and guess what Team Pennzoil saw it all that night While eating in the RV, Courtney is ready to pick out her next car. She'll be moving up into Erica's division soon and has some ideas for what she wants. But Erica says, if anyone's get a new car as her, Courtney can have her old one. Meanwhile, Randy is just eating baked beans and wants with Sabbi on his burger up at the top of the RV. And then mister Coleman from Team Pennzoil arrives with the generous sponsorship offer, but instead of immediately accepting, Erica has a question. Why ask her today after the accident? He says, when she climbed back into her car, that showed him something. So she accepts the offer under one condition. They also have to sponsor Courtney. He says, yes, and Team pennzo Oil forever. And so we got our first professional photoshoot for Pennzoil. And while Erica is stiff and angry in her shots. Courtney is a natural, dancing around and being very cool. Both girls have new spiffy cars. That weirdo will oh, come on, she's hell yeah, she did the walk like an Egyptian.
Speaker 1: You can't not be cool doing that.
Speaker 2: She was the cool part for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can't be cool when you do the walk like an Egyptian. Come on, it's the early nineties. Walk like an Egyptian was the pinnacle of cool.
Speaker 1: That weirdo reporter.
Speaker 3: Comes back and wants to know when the sisters will race each other, and Erica says never, while Courtney says soon, but first.
Speaker 1: It's Courtney's first big race.
Speaker 3: She's unfocused as always and it infuriates Erica, who is part of her pit crew. But it should come as no surprise that Courtney is naturally a superstar and wins. We get a montage of the sisters winning over and over, making Team Pennzoil proud, and even signing autographs for little girls who want to drive some day to very Cool, and a few days later, of all places, we're at the DMV. It's time for Erica to turn sixteen and take her driver's test. The instructor takes a seat without any knowledge of who he's about to drive with.
Speaker 1: She takes the.
Speaker 3: Parking lot, turns at high speeds and spins out while reversing, weaving in and out of cones.
Speaker 1: It seems like she should have not gotten her license.
Speaker 2: For driving recklessly gotten her license. No, she did.
Speaker 1: It's a dcom.
Speaker 3: She comes to a screeching halt. The instructor loved it, and she passed with flying colors.
Speaker 2: However, parallel parking that giant truck was incredibly impressive.
Speaker 1: That's hey, I don't even I don't.
Speaker 2: Even parallel park my suv if it's not like the biggest.
Speaker 3: Spaces she's Erica enders it was.
Speaker 2: It was impressive. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: It was. We are now back at school.
Speaker 3: It's time for a volleyball game, and Erica is still mesmerized by the boys. Lou Ane wants to know if she'll be at Ice Tracks on Friday night, but Erica doesn't have a date.
Speaker 1: Lew Anne encourages her.
Speaker 3: To ask Hotty Hot hots and hots and hotty Hot basketball player Todd, but Erica's nervous, and just then Todd starts to walk toward her, but is intercepted by those two girl volleyball. Those floozies, bullies, bullies and floozies, they're Bluesy's.
Speaker 1: Thank you TM.
Speaker 3: Then it's Friday night at Erica's house and there's someone at the door.
Speaker 1: It's Randy.
Speaker 3: He's her date tonight and he's freaking out. He's never skated before. Erica assures him she hasn't either, so he'll be fine. And do we love this couple?
Speaker 2: I did love their friendship and I love the line before says I want to take somebody. I like somebody I can have fun with, and then boom we see Randy and it was like, this is this is great, this is a great friendship.
Speaker 1: I wanted them to be a couple. I just wanted them to be a couple, really did. But not with Todd around.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 3: My guess is Todd was front and center at chocolate party and Randy was not.
Speaker 1: Erica drives him to the rink in her truck and.
Speaker 3: We noticed her license plate frame reads this is not my boyfriend's truck. Now we're at the rink, Randy is still very nervous and shaky on the ice. Todd the smoke show basketball players melting all the ice around him, just being there and he's a regular Gretzky on skates. He says, Hi, but is you know, still with those chicks. Luanne arrives dateless. Her dude showed up to her house smelling like beer, so she ditched him. A shocking beer and underage drinking reference in a dcom is the one with the girl who literally dies in the car accident.
Speaker 1: The only other one where there's been underage drinking.
Speaker 2: No prom packed, prom packed, and then was it just there was one where they had like solo cups they did commented, yes, regardless, is very rare a d com to get a beer drinking? Okay, somewhat of a topic.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say that the thing I'm saying right now is a lie to bring you in, like like one of your gullible things.
Speaker 1: But this is the truth. You can google it, you know.
Speaker 3: The lines on solo cups are actually the measurements. So like the bottom line is an ounce that's a shot, and then the next line is I forget.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like three or four lines on a solo cup and the top line is like the full can of beer. So that's not a pint? Is it a pint of whatever eight ounces. Yeah, but they're all it's those are all the actual measurement.
Speaker 1: It's twelve. I don't know, but yeah, those are actual measurements.
Speaker 2: Is if I know there was lines in there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's lines on there. You go. That's for you. And that's true. The date looks like it's super fun, even if.
Speaker 2: Rand it's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: It's true. At least even Row it's true. I just googled, thank you. I'm true. Everybody's checking the fact for.
Speaker 2: Having my back. Don't let one over on me.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: It's okay, thank you. The date looks super fun, even if Randy and Erica ended up on their butts all night after skating. Eric and Randy planning go get something to eat, but Todd and those volleyball jerkfaces that's better are having car trouble. The girls call over their arch nemesis, Erica and ask a favor. She quickly fixes their engine, and now it seems like they're patching things up between the girls for good kind of nice. Todd invites her and Randy to a party at his house, but she says they already have plans playing hard to get No I think.
Speaker 2: It was that was like Moore of like preface, after hearing about drinking, She's like, not a kid that goes to parties and wants to.
Speaker 1: Be No way, I think it was that.
Speaker 3: I think it was that she already had plans with her friends to go get something with Randy, to get something to eat. I think she I don't think it was about the drinking. I mean, you're in high.
Speaker 2: Spot, Okay, all right. I think, well then if that was the case, then like, I don't know, maybe, and why.
Speaker 3: Would she date Todd If Todd's gonna throw parties at his house with drinking, she would never date the guy.
Speaker 1: That's what it was about.
Speaker 3: That's true, And she's all in on Todd.
Speaker 1: She is, Yeah, it seemed like a nice guy. But anyway.
Speaker 3: When Erica drops Randy off at home, he assures her she could have gone to the party, but she says, but there's a lot of sheet and heath. When Erica drops Randy off at home, he assures her that she could have gone to the party, but she says she didn't want to, which makes.
Speaker 1: Him wonder could they date for real?
Speaker 3: The question shocks Erica, who responds in the worst possible way, saying it'd be like dating your brother.
Speaker 1: There's nothing worse a guy could say.
Speaker 3: And as you seriously watch the soul leave this man's body, it was so sad, but he puts a smile on right.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to anyway, I was kidding.
Speaker 2: Did I even say that?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, as he was dying inside, and I loved him. Team Randy forever, She says she had a great time, and on his way out, he jokingly ass so she can set him.
Speaker 1: Up, but Lunn, maybe Luann would like me. Oh Randy, I love you.
Speaker 3: We're now back in French class, Erica is not happy about her B average progress report, so she stays after class to talk to the teacher. He explains that in order to get an A, she'll need to do extra credit and get an A on the final exam. But even with this planet place. Back at home, her parents are not satisfied. Based on their earlier deal, this means she can only race in Houston, but the Nationals are in Salt Lake City, coincidentally, the decom capital the United States. Erica tries to convince her dad to let her race, but he's not budging. A deal's a deal, and she must get her grades up. And I was like, Okay, you've now been racing for years, you've moved it up to where you can be the national champion, and you're gonna not let her go because she has a B in French. Really, she's not failing anything. She has a bunny in French.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like I would assume on apparent level, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like my parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna stick to my because again she mentions like, this is not this is not in cement. Just yet, I have to get an A on the final and then I'll have an A.
Speaker 3: I understand, but as the way they're setting it up is she literally has an A in.
Speaker 1: Every single class but a B in French.
Speaker 3: So we're pulling the chance for you to do the thing that literally could make.
Speaker 1: You millions of dollars in sponsorship money.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: What are you going to use more the money you're gonna get for sponsorship or the grade in French in your life?
Speaker 1: It's like, come all.
Speaker 2: My parents were like that with me, with acting and doing all the other things that I was doing, Like I had to keep my grades up because my dad said, I love that you have this dream, we are going to do everything we can to help you and support you. However, it is very important you have a plan B and your plan B to school. So I had to keep my grades up.
Speaker 3: I did too, But there's no way in hell my parents would ever have said, oh, you booked this commercial or television show or something you have to do, but you just got to b in class, so we're not going to let you do that thing you just booked. They would never have done that in ever, ever, ever, because it's ridiculous that. I mean to literally, you're doing something that is life changing, that you're one of the best, you can be the best in the country at ya, but you're not going to do.
Speaker 2: It because you have a extreme I would think that my parents, if I was like failing a class, would be like, yeah, no, that's that's totally different time.
Speaker 3: Or if she's got she's a cd S student and she's failing at every No, they've set it up to where she has a's in every class but a B in French.
Speaker 1: So now you can't go be the best at what you do.
Speaker 2: Hey, Holidays, that would be one hundred percent sure. You have to have like a four point seven to get into anywhere. Yeah, now so I'm guessing being insane.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing most colleges would be pretty impressed if you were the national champion at something. I'm guessing that's going to look better on a resume than a B in French.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean I do think booking the Girls might have helped me.
Speaker 1: You think, no, of course it did. Of course it did.
Speaker 3: I booked, I was I was an okay student in high school. It was not a good student by any stretch of the imagination. Yeah, here you go, interesting thoughts. She's more likely to get into college by winning the race and getting an A. Absolutely hundred percent that's true. I was not a good student. I did the best I could, but it was all about acting for me, and I still got into amazing colleges because I was on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 1: That's why it wasn't my grades.
Speaker 2: I didn't have the particular stuff yet. But yeah, I mean you go in and you're like, this is what my passion is, this is what I'm wanting to do, but I still want to get a degree. Like that's still something I'm wanting to.
Speaker 1: Again, what do you think is going to sound better.
Speaker 3: I had six a's, or I had five a's and a B and was the national champion dragonship.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's not.
Speaker 3: Even a question, by the way, saying something and seeing and saying in your kitchen, hey, you've got to do this. This is the deal we've made. Not sure that's legally binding.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, back at school, Erica is all alone in the library, feverishly studying French because God forbid.
Speaker 1: She only gets a beat when that.
Speaker 3: Hardy Hart throb Hardy Heart HOTSI hots and hotson guy Todd arrives again. They have a flirty conversation that ends with him offering to tutor her. So apparently he's also bilingual, you know what I'm saying. So we get a montage of the various vocabulary work and touching each other's noses.
Speaker 2: It starts to get this is another d com rarity. It starts, I mean the touching. Oh yeah, he's a great actor in the way of like playing that like smoozer and I mean the French words. It just is starting to right.
Speaker 3: I thought he was gonna teach you some French kiss And I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I did do I thought this was gonna be where we get a kiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did, but it's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm not that close.
Speaker 1: I don't want him together anyway because it's gonna hurt Randy, and I'm all about Randy.
Speaker 3: Randy's good, Randy's great, Randy's not good. Randy's great.
Speaker 2: Randy and Courtney to get together.
Speaker 1: It's fine, Oh, it'd be great.
Speaker 3: And after a full day of work, he asked her out to a movie, but her weekends are just so busy with racing.
Speaker 1: She can't find an open day.
Speaker 3: Todd thinks she's just blowing him off, and now she's going to die alone. She's bummed and about to drive off when Lune stops her. She's got last year's French final and the teacher never changes the test. Erica doesn't want to cheat, but leu Anne promises her it's.
Speaker 1: Just a study aid. No, lu Anne, that's flat out cheating. Yes.
Speaker 3: The next day, it's a girl's volleyball game and we see Erica performing a game winning spike. Congrats to her, but hilariously, it's executed by one of the worst body doubles that we've ever seen on Magical rewind because Beverly in real life is five to two, so there's no way in the world she's spiking a volleyball either way. The team celebrates because they are going to the volleyball finals this Saturday at nine am. Luckily, Erica only has a race the night before and knows that they leave right away, they could still make it back in time, so now we're back on the track. Erica's racing that weekend, then continuing to win as planned. The family leaves at night, but on their way home, the RV breaks down, leaving them stranded on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Erica's stressing while her dad works on the engine.
Speaker 3: She needs to see it back for volleyball, but he's not sure they're going to make it in time. The next morning, we see the RV arrive at school. I swear to God, I thought they were going to make it just in time to see her team lose. She spins it to the gym, but it's too late, and now her coaching teammates are mad at her.
Speaker 1: They got crushed.
Speaker 3: Even her coach is like, coach, way to go, you stupid jer It was like, oh my god, no, it was.
Speaker 2: I mean if the family obviously the family would have you know, the dad or the mom would have let the coach know, like, hey, we've got this. This is her main priority. We have this even if we make it back like it's going to be cutting it close.
Speaker 3: Also, how good is your team if the entire team revolves around the five foot two member.
Speaker 2: One team, join the one person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your team sucks, coach. It's not her fault.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: That's insane insane.
Speaker 3: That night, Eric is still tirelessly studying for finals, still unsure if she can pull this off.
Speaker 1: With the pressure of her nearby racing trophies, she knows what she has to do.
Speaker 3: She pulls out Luene's French Final, but instead of cheating, she decides to just tear it up, and when her dad gets home from work he hears metal being tossed around. It's Erica putting her trophies in storage. She's quitting racing. She tells her dad she has no friends and can't seem to get her life in order. With the French Final tomorrow, she just doesn't feel any of this is worth it anymore. Her dad admits he gets where she's coming from and that it's okay if she wants to quit.
Speaker 1: Another good act.
Speaker 3: I was shocked, but I guess a good message, especially if you're young, Like, if you're truly not having fun anymore, I'm not going to force you to do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, that I agree with. However, I think this would have been the moment he could have said, look, we know that we've put a lot of pressure on you about your grades, that it's not worth it for you to go ahead and just give this all up. If you get a B, that's okay, we can still rape you got a three point that we could have had it. You know, if there was a moment instead he's like, hey, you want to give up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yess she can. That's true. He did let her quit awfully fast.
Speaker 2: Because it's not just about her, and now she's got a sponsor, she has a yes contract. We assume, like, can you imagine just quit tonight, let's write about it in the morning, let's let's go over it, get some rest.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine calling penns Oil and saying, thank you for the multimillions of dollars you give me, but my daughter got a B, so we're not gonna let her race.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what he would have backed off.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm telling her, is your test.
Speaker 2: No matter how should it matter? Nothing should be stressing you out this month.
Speaker 3: So not only not only do I have to be a racer and a national champion, but I need to have perfect grades. Yeah, that's the standard you're setting for me. That's insane. Oh my god, and it's yeah. Anyway, she's quitting racing. She tells her that she has no friends and can't seem to get her life in order with the French final tomorrow, she just doesn't feel like any of it's worth any anything anymore, which is a lot of emphasis on French. Her dad admits he gets where she's coming from and it's okay if she wants to quit. Erica is shocked. She expected him to be mad, but he's just surprised. She's a really talented driver. But he has her back and loves her no matter what. He gusses her forehead and tells her to get some rest for the big day tomorrow, obviously meaning French because it's so important in that family. The next morning, on her way into school, Erica bumps into Desert Island Dreamboat Todd.
Speaker 2: Todd Desert Islands Short. He's on one of these reality shows on his island.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. The only thing I know how to say is my pencil is big. And that's literally what I just said was bone crayon as large. Isn't that awful that for some reason that's the only thing I know to say in French?
Speaker 1: My god, what do you mean exactly?
Speaker 3: I guess from a movie that I grew up watching called Gotcha with Anthony Edwards, and he's learning French, and all I can say is my pencil.
Speaker 1: Is big and yellow. He says, bon bon or something like that. It's my pencil is big and yellow. It's all he knows how to say.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's oh my gosh, that's my French list.
Speaker 1: And I can do the cuchet thing, but who does that anymore? Anyway.
Speaker 3: He's wearing his letterman jacket, which he appears to wear day and night. He probably bathes in it. She apologizes for the other day. She wasn't trying to be rude, but he's obviously still bothered by it. She does want to go out with him, and now that she's quit racing, she has free time. He thinks it's crazy she quit, obviously, and promises to call her later, we rejoin Erica as she finishes up her French final Super Important, and she seems pretty confident with her performance. Back at home, Erica is watching Courtney leave for the race with Randy and her dad. She's obviously bummed but wishes him luck. Now, with a rare free weekend, she has no idea what to do with herself. She's just bored and sad and laying around the house. At the racetrack, Courtney continues her winning streaking Randy and Greg to perform a celebration that includes the running Man and a chest bump, and once the weekend's over, they return home to Erica, asking Courtney how she did, but instead of an answer, her little sister gives her some real sass, and that night, while getting ready for bed, the girls finally talk it out. Courtney is mad that Erica quit because now racing isn't fun without her. Eric explained she quit because of reasons that are hard to explain, which isn't explaining anything, but Courtney thinks it's because she's scared she'll lose to someone, maybe even her. And now back at school, Erica got her French final back. Because now this film is just about French, and she got an a hey, she did it. She jumps up and squeals, yes, we in class, startling everyone in the process, And just like that, she's unpacking her trophies and returning to racing. She's back on the track like she didn't miss a day. So she qualifies for the national impressive eight point eight seven. She quit for a weekend.
Speaker 1: That was it. She literally quit for forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I haven't raised one yet, but I'm sure very quickly how things change within a teenager.
Speaker 1: It's actually very teenager to be like I'm back.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, I'm good, and I'm good yeah, And then she wants to take another trial run.
Speaker 1: She notices her name isn't scheduled.
Speaker 3: The national official has a sketchy reason about someone getting scratched and making an odd number of racers in her age bracket, but since she has her time now, it shouldn't be an issue, but she definitely.
Speaker 1: Wants to practice.
Speaker 3: Courtney overhears the issue and volunteers to race her sister, since they have the same type of car. Erica is hesitant, but as long as their parents don't eject, they allow it outside of competition. And now we have the race we've wanted people enders versus enders. The girls' cars make their way to the starting line, and okay, they obviously do this to warm up the tires, but it's to me one of the coolest things is seeing how they like push the car sideways and they like throw it sideways and then you jam it back the other way with the thing.
Speaker 1: That was like, you need control of the car to do that. That was super good.
Speaker 2: It took me a while to realize they were doing it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, it's like, what's happening?
Speaker 2: And then I I'm like, oh, I think it's like a warm up thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, they warm up the tires and they're like throw in the back end one way and you got a jam at the other way. It was you need super amazing control of that vehicle to do that, and it was really cool.
Speaker 2: I try to do something like that and like a go kart and I'm in the wall a go krt.
Speaker 1: You would have been pulled over on your drive to the go kart track. That's what you said. True.
Speaker 3: The girls cars make their way to the starting line, and even though it's just practice, the crowd is interested in this first ever sibling rivalry battle. Randy is put in charge of both racers, even though hopefully, as Sabrina said, he's gonna end up with Courtney because I don't like this guy with I don't like Erica with Todd, and as.
Speaker 1: Her parents realize, no matter who wins, it's going to be a long drive home.
Speaker 3: And then we get a green light and the race is on their neck and neck the whole race, but Courtney pulls it off, winning by just a few milliseconds. She's concerned her older sister let her win, but Erica ashers or she just got a bad start, so Courtney suggests she loosens up, and in return, Erica challenges her to the grudge batch again, and this time Erica does relax and becus is on her breathing, leading her to a big breakaway victory. She may have just cracked the code. That night, the family drives home, but Erica can't sleep. She wakes up her sister to thank her for the advice. She's going to relax now when she faces Jordy in the trial. This is what was something that I thought was really interesting When she says to her, the only time you lose is when you really want to win. Yeah, And I thought that was kind of a good message, like, when you really want to win, you lose, so relax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you overthink, you hesitate, you do certain things for sure.
Speaker 1: And you're not fluent in French, so how good are you?
Speaker 3: The next morning, while making breakfast, Erica sees an ESPN report or an ESPEN report as I call it, about the weekend's event in Phoenix. The anchor highlights a promising race between Erica and that NEPO baby Jordi in the teenage division, which is cool but also unlikely.
Speaker 1: Something you'd got to actually see on Sports Center.
Speaker 3: Right then, Beefy, Beefcake, Beefcake Beeferson Todd shows up at the house with a good.
Speaker 1: Luck Teddy bear, come on Todd.
Speaker 3: Erica runs down to say hi, all while Dad watches on from the garage.
Speaker 1: He's concerned.
Speaker 3: Genantly convinces him to chill Todd, because that's one thing this girl needs in her life is more stuff, more stuff to worry about.
Speaker 1: Now, let's get her dating.
Speaker 3: Tom promises to watch the race with some friends at his house, and the relationship is also off to the races, And I just heard.
Speaker 1: Randy die in the background, and so that I'm team Randy. I'm always team Randy.
Speaker 3: And so next thing you know, we're at Nationals, an event with tens of thousands in attendance and the best junior races in the world competing. We see the enders truck arrive and it looks like they filmed this at a real race. I mean, there's no way these are all extras. There's no way this. I mean it was also the image got blurrier, so it's obviously from a different camera. I mean, this was stock footage of a real race, or they filmed this part at a real race.
Speaker 1: You really got the feeling it was. You felt the vibe for sure.
Speaker 2: There was heightened fork. You've definitely felt like the emphasis on this race totally.
Speaker 3: Now, Erica can't believe how many of the fans there are, young girls holding up signs and excited to see her race. Reporters are even interviewing her, but only asking what it feels like to be the only girl on the track.
Speaker 1: She's like, Hey, everybody else here, I'm just a racer. Leave me alone.
Speaker 3: We rejoin her later with two impressive wins already under her belt. It's the semifinals and the will and the winner will face Jordi tomorrow in the finals.
Speaker 1: She wins easily, and now the stage is set.
Speaker 3: Jordy and his dad were watching on too, and now feel like they have to do something about this. Running off to the commissioner, What a bunch of dicks, we find out they're accusing Greg of having.
Speaker 1: Too many g's in his name.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding of cheating because Erica had a dozen perfect starts in a row, and he's a computer genius.
Speaker 1: He must be up to something.
Speaker 3: Erica argues she's been practicing her reaction time with every free minute she has, but Jordie's dad has filed an official protest.
Speaker 1: Now she's on hold until the matter is investigated properly.
Speaker 3: Randy oversees the committee search for illegal items on her car, which continues through the night, when all of a sudden done obviously there's no evidence of cheating. She wouldn't even cheat on a French test. The protest has been dismissed. Jordie's dad wants to appeal, but he already wants him to drop it. They end up agreeing that this will be solved at the race tomorrow, which is how it should be.
Speaker 1: That night Erica can dance off. I mean, oh now I wanted it to be a dance off. Damn it, you just ruined the movie for me.
Speaker 3: That night, Erica can't sleep again, but this time it's Courtney that strikes up a conversation. She says, even though they fight sometimes, she could never race without her big sister. The sport was for boys, but then Erica had the guts to race anyway, and now it's easier for everyone, no matter what happens against Jordie.
Speaker 1: She's very proud of her big sister. It was a nice moment.
Speaker 3: So the sun rises on the final day of racing and Erica is up early. She goes searching for Randy, because Randy's the heart of everything, and finds him sleeping inside the car. He was up all night making sure the officials put everything back together correctly. He only trusts himself. What a cutie pie. He's also stuck inside the car, which is yeah, It's like, did they build it around him? He fell asleep and they just built the car around him. He wakes up on the starting line.
Speaker 1: What the hell? It is?
Speaker 3: Time for the big race and Piggy perfect ten. Todd is at his watch party with dozens of other kids from the school and the French teacher if you noticed, cheering her on. Jordy and Erica make it to the starting line, just in time for these sisters to share an awkward secret handshake. The drivers put on their helmets and it's time to put the pedal to the middle. Greg gives his daughter one last rock and roll stick them as the engines per. Erica readies herself for the green light and hears all the haters in her head. They never thought the little girl could make it to the finals, and yet here she is, and she's always been nervous to lose to Jordi, with all the repeated thoughts. In doubts, she accidentally hits the gas and almost false starts again. She quickly regains her composure and remembers her sister's advice, take a deep breath, relax and think of Randy. I added the last part, and instead of intrusive thoughts, Erica hears words of passion and encouragement, and within the calm, the lights turn green, the races are off, and they're trading off the lead back and forth. Jordi Thenica Erica, then Jordy, and at the finished line, Erica takes over and wins her family Randy Todd watch party.
Speaker 1: Everyone's ecstatic. Erica can't believe it. Her dreams have come true. Now Loan.
Speaker 3: At the finish line, Jordi puts aside his frustration and congratulates Erica. Hey, maybe he's not as much of it as his dad. They compliment each other in agree on a rematch soon. Erica reunites with her crew for the trophy ceremony where she's crowned the new NHR Junior Champion. She kisses the trophy and holds it above her head as she basks in the applause, she invites Courtney to share the stage with her.
Speaker 1: She tells her to get used to it. She's next.
Speaker 3: We assume in on the trophy one last time, and we get some updates about Erica, who was the NHRA Rookie of the Year in two thousand and one while winning thirty seven junior drag racing championships and attending Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing the drag racing got her in more than the A and French And.
Speaker 3: In addition to that, Courtney has won twenty six Junior drag Racing championships as well. We get to see a picture of the real pioneers Erica and Courtney Enders. And that's our movie.
Speaker 1: Real reviews. What do you got? I think you got the five.
Speaker 2: Stars, got the five star hope It.
Speaker 1: Just says I love Randy, Randy forever. Five stars.
Speaker 2: This was a good one. Actually five star here from nine Bros.
Speaker 1: Nine something like that.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a bro because it goes Beverly Mitchell is so so so hot, hot hot. It was the coolest movie ever because it had racing and Beverly Mitchell in it. She is really hot, so so is the other girl in it. I also like it because it is a real story about a girl and what happened to her and all that. This is why I really like the movie.
Speaker 1: Five stars.
Speaker 2: Okay and all that and all that and all that, all the stuff that roast nine.
Speaker 1: Thank you brost nine. I have the one star.
Speaker 3: It's from our old friend who Nomad, yes that's right, unnamed is back again and says simply, very cheaply done.
Speaker 1: Should have had more crashes.
Speaker 3: Oh, Nomad, wherever you are, think about why you'd want.
Speaker 1: To do something like that. You strange, strange man or woman.
Speaker 3: Okay, now we're to Sabrina's favorite part of the program. But again I don't think producer Jensen is here, so we'll probably do fine. Yeah, it is one we're familiar with. It's hang four. It's a reoccurring game we haven't seen in a while. We originally played for Team Beach. I think Johnny Tsunami and motocrossed will be given four terms directly from the recapped Niche DCM sport.
Speaker 1: In this case drag racing with multiple choice options. We have to pick.
Speaker 3: The correct definition is given to us from the website race I RP dot com racerp dot com. Three out of four wins? Are we ready?
Speaker 1: Sabrina and I believe we're playing with producer Lisa today. Am I right?
Speaker 2: You are correct?
Speaker 1: All right? Here we go. Number one.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, producer Lisa. See at least we got we got a good luck from producer.
Speaker 2: Lisa Tex Yeah, Lisa, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Number one Christmas tree. Is that a colorful glow from your lead cars? Break lights? B the colors omitted from sirens after a crash see the colorful device at the starting line or D a decorated tree you display in your house during Christmas?
Speaker 1: What do you got, Sabrina, I.
Speaker 2: Would say it would be the colorful device at the starting line.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 3: I know that for a fact that in a race that's called the Christmas tree. So I'm going to say C as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is C, all right? There were one for one A good start.
Speaker 3: Number two e t is that A the time it takes a vehicle to travel from start to finish? B the emergency vehicle used to transport drivers after a crash, see the measured torque of a race tire. Or be a friendly alien who befriends the neighborhood boy, only to be harassed and captured by the government.
Speaker 1: In all fairness, it is D. But that's not going to count.
Speaker 2: I would say A the time it takes a vehicle to travel from start to finish.
Speaker 3: I'm going to gine, I'm going to agree with you. I'm going to say A.
Speaker 2: It's obviously D. No, I'm just kidding. A it stands for.
Speaker 1: A lap, A laps time there we go?
Speaker 3: Or two for tien Number three shoe is it a a protective cover placed around a tire while not racing. Be a quick turn see another name for a driver, or D a piece of footwear designed to protect and.
Speaker 1: Support the foot while walking or running.
Speaker 3: I'd like to point out if we just pick D every time we technically go for.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to go first this time? Sure?
Speaker 2: I'm kind of not sure.
Speaker 3: I would normally say it's a a protective cover placed around a tire while not racing, because I know that they do that to keep the tires warm.
Speaker 1: But I feel like he wouldn't do two a's in a row. He might. I'm gonna stick with you. Oh maybe that would be a boot.
Speaker 3: But then it's not a quick turn because they're going straight right there, you go on. But maybe that's what it is. Maybe that's why they call it that. It's like if you show out or something. I think I'm over, you're gonna go with.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with. Be a quick turn.
Speaker 2: I have it down a C.
Speaker 1: It's another name for a driver. Okay, so we need this one win. Here we go.
Speaker 3: Number four bubble is it a the nickname giving to the netting used to stop a runaway car? Be the last place in a qualifying round. See the top layer of protection on a drag car or d thin hollow sphere of liquid and closing air or gas.
Speaker 1: Again, if I go with D we.
Speaker 2: Win, I'm going to do see the top layer of the protection on the drag car.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, be the last place in a qualifying round because you're onto the bubble.
Speaker 2: It is b it is BA. Yes, yes, we'll wink you.
Speaker 1: Producer Lisa appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And now can we do a Sabrina ceas.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, so we you know, went through quite a bit of them, but didn't really the questions I have on this when at the very beginning of the movie and she has training wheels, what is the property because Monroe has them? Right, she's five, and I'm so antsy to get those things off because I think she should be riding a bike. I agree, this girl was not five even she looked like she was.
Speaker 1: Like you have three Oh really, you thought you looked older. I thought she looked younger.
Speaker 2: No, she looked like she was like six or seven. She just seems really old to have those training wheels, which not that you should bully anyone, but I mean there's kind of like reason to have the like a little bit of like you take a little bit of justification, just not too much. Then we like fast forward a little bit and they're in class playing with Plato. I'm going, am I crazy right now? Or like I'm getting stuck on these This is why there's Sabrina Seas because I'm like Plato at their age for during class time, Like I feel like Plato gets done after like kindergarten, Like I don't think I use Plato in class during first grade and on. So we're just kind of feel like the like.
Speaker 3: Age of I also not a little questionable not to jump in on your Sabrina Seas, but did it? Did it also throw you at all? Like it took me a second to realize that the young girl in the training wheels was then supposed to be the same girl ye building the Plato thing, Like I thought that was the two sisters at first, and I was like, oh wait, that's now that's supposed to be the same girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because that was like kind of too close an age to be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an act.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. And then I just really got hung up on I had to know what this guy's name was. The hillbilly at the beginning I don't know his name was. I stopped and like zoomed in as much as I could, got on my phone, and it's like Charles, which we know obviously this douche goes by Chaz like obviously like, oh I hated that guy. That's so meant or Chuck, Chuck or Chaz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably was not Charles Wendington the third.
Speaker 2: So he annoyed me a lot right from the start. I'm like, oh man, we are really going to push this whole like girls can't do stuff, which of insane. This is not my favorite comment. But for some reason, Greg with the two g's his hair drove me crazy. This whole movie did it?
Speaker 1: Really it did.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. I just felt like, I don't know why it needed. I don't know it looked I just couldn't. I was like, he's such a good looking guy, he was a great dad. His hair, I just the hair people on this show should have had him do something different. I couldn't handle it. The volleyball accident handle it. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: The ball accident.
Speaker 2: Was that not so? I mean she just kind of fell like yeah, like but like it was like by the time her mom sees it. It's like this just using wound eating surgery, like needing some sutures or whatever. Holy cow, oh man, the amount of ugly glasses. Now. I know we are set in a different time, but man, where the glasses horrible back then and the fact that they're coming back into style now irks me so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're those Oakley wrap rounds. Are they were a specific look?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, and I feel like drivers tend to have those kinds of glasses still, no matter what decade we're talking about.
Speaker 3: The like, I think it's because it cod but I think it's because they wrap around here. It blocks off the periphery sun as well for when you're driving.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but they wear goggles, they're not wearing them. That's true too.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, that's true too.
Speaker 2: They always seem to have these just weird Oakley glass that's true too. We talked about Okay, this was a thing of me too that just kept catching my eye, and only because we watched so many of these movies that are are filmed in Utah. But I had a hard time of knowing when they were and weren't supposed to be in Utah because there was UTAs stuff everywhere, Like the helicopter that comes in was like Utah Emergency Center. Like there was just so much like does not does did not any of these races happen anywhere else?
Speaker 1: It was all like I mean, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: It just was everywhere. Every single race there was. There was UTAs stuff everywhere, which we've seen like when they were supposed to be in something and they were like there was like a Toronto flag somewhere, you know, we've seen that. I don't think like they paid as much attention as they could have to that.
Speaker 1: I would agree.
Speaker 2: And then my last thing was, and this is the Cheetah Girl in me, girl power all the way. There was a miss messaged moment that could have really been strong and good for the d COM. Was she had this like I'm just I'm just another race, I'm just another racer, which part of me understands she wants to be treated as everyone else. However, the Cheetah Girl and me could not handle this. The message should have been I'm just into every other raciser out there, but yes, I am excited to be a girl racer out there, and I hope this sets the tone and changes the minds of all young girls like you can do anything like that was like a moment where she could have had that strength. Yes she's a teenager, but like that would have been such an empowering moment. I am just like everyone. But at the end of the day, it is true, I'm a girl and I'm just as good as these other boys. So this should be a moment that changes everyone else's mind, like some kind of great messaging. There would have been the only thing I was missing, because the whole it is there right at the end it says girls can race too, like it's there. But for her to stand up and take that moment, yeah, was what I needed a little bit from the movie, and it didn't give it to me. That was the perfect time when all of those press was coming at her.
Speaker 3: I think it's also it's it's it's supposed to take place what in ninety one, ninety two, something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right when the Spice Girls were out.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, it's kind of like, it's not yet. I think it's a little pre girl Power, like right pre girl Power, where it was still like I just want to be treated like like this the same way everybody else is treated.
Speaker 2: Which is fine, but that's the only part that I really kind of love.
Speaker 1: The cheetah in you.
Speaker 2: The cheetah in me just couldn't.
Speaker 1: Like it was just like, just I love it.
Speaker 2: Dang it. We could have had that girl power moment because this movie was definitely about girl power. I loved it, like I said it did. By the way, it didn't really affect my score much.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, nor me. Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of which, it's now time to rate our film and all options for this week. We're going to do because it's racing, We're going to do one to ten, with one being the least.
Speaker 1: I know we might have to do just the first one.
Speaker 3: It's one to ten Chuds on bikes, Jerk Dad Crew Chiefs, one to ten Chocolate and Hot Guys, teenage car repairman Randy's Baked Beans, one to ten, Weirdo youth dragcar reporters, one to ten brother dates, one to ten cans of pens oil, or one to ten short Beverly Metro volleyball spikes.
Speaker 1: I think I get to pick this week, and how do you not go with chuds on bikes.
Speaker 2: On bikes is just so good.
Speaker 3: It sounds like an eighties techno band from Germany Chuds on Bikes.
Speaker 2: So am I wrong? It does?
Speaker 1: So here we go. I don't know who votes now, like who's first?
Speaker 2: I forget you made me go first on my movie. Okay, I sorry about it.
Speaker 1: I know then it's my turn.
Speaker 3: You know. I liked this movie. I did it to me. It's kind of like exactly what a dec is supposed to be. He brings you into a little micro world. I love that it's based on a true story. It does show the girl power in a different way, but it does show the girl power.
Speaker 1: Beverly Mitchell is Beverly.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's a very, very competent actress, young Brie Larson.
Speaker 1: I thought. The only big thing I have is the score, which to me was just very heavy handed. Yeah, but I liked this movie.
Speaker 2: I disagree on that score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know again. I liked the music. I didn't like the score. It was just too much. But I overall, I like this movie. I'm gonna give this movie a solid eight. Chuds on Bikes. I thought this was a fun dcom. It was a fast, easy watch. The acting is good. I loved learning about the world. The whole French thing was stupid. Obviously, but that's more about the family than it is about the like the priorities of the family, than it is about the movie itself, because I'm guessing they probably took that from real life, and it's like, really, you're gonna pull the nationals from her because she's got to be Come on, what's French?
Speaker 1: For Give me a break?
Speaker 2: Eh?
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I am sticking with you right exactly. I am sticking with a solid eight chuds on bikes.
Speaker 2: What do you got? I, like I said, I liked this movie. If we had what are we should make some kind of bulletin board of the points of what make a good d com? This checks all the boxes for me. I agree, And I thought, you know, like I said, the messaging there, the girl power. If there was any tiny thing for me, it would have been her to be a little bit more of an advocate of it herself. But for most part, maybe that wasn't her story. Like she just did it in the Proof of the Pudding, you know what I mean, she just really like she did it with her scores, with her wins. She didn't need to. Wasn't a person that felt like she had to say that, you know, publicly, which is okay too. I thought, like you said, the speed of this, like every I never was. There was never a moment where I was like, Okay, I gotta take a bathroom break like. There was never a moment I was. I was locked in. I was searching for Sabrina Seas because so much of it was so good. Nothing really really crazy popped out at me. So I'm also going to give it and but I'm going to bump it up a little bit more because I needed this, like good dcom that wasn't a musical, that was literally just story driven. I needed it. And it's an eight point five hud By Bikes for me. It's such a good movie. If you have not watched it in a while, it is worth worth worth going back and rewatching this.
Speaker 1: Yes, shit, definitely. This was my first watch, obviously, and it was good.
Speaker 2: I forgot the Sabrina Seas. I forgot a Sabrina Seats. Hold on. I've got it up on my computer too, because I went ahead and made sure I knew what I was talking about. Because I heard the voice, I could tell it was my girl, Hillary Duff performing one of the songs within the soundtrack on the movie and I looked it up and it is. It's called I Can't Wait, written by somebody I got to work with very well, along others. But his name is Matthew Gerard. He was a epic. He would be great for the podcast because he has written so many of dcom movies, okay songs. And I listened to it and I was like, that's Hillary Duff. That's Hillary Duff, which I think at this time was a great get for this movie too. I'm sure that really helped push the drive in this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm sure good one. Well, thank you everybody for joining us this time. It was a good movie. It very much was. You gotta go check it out.
Speaker 3: But our next movie, I don't know if the next one's gonna be as good, but it has even more recognizable names. We're watching two thousand and one's dcom Hounded, starring Taj Maury, Shia, La Buff, Sarah Paxton, and Ed Bagley Junior, who I just hung out with not that long ago, who could not have been a nicer human being. Seriously, I was like, everything you hope Ed Bagley is. He was that and more. The school focused comedy of available now to watch on Disney. Plus, I know nothing about this this movie. I'm guessing Hounded. They turn into dogs something with dogs.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hope it's not like the last Dog one we watch oh.
Speaker 1: With Kirk Cameron.
Speaker 3: God, that movie was good. I've seen it ten times since. No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: It was awful and my eyes burned afterwards. So you've got your homework.
Speaker 3: People, Go check out Hounded, and if you've got the time, spend some time with the dedicated Magical Rewind podcast feed on all your favorite streaming services. We've got two years of recaps on here and dozens have incredible interviews with dcom legends. Just search Magical Rewind and follow us on Instagram at the Magical Rewind Pod for more information. And by the way, we are very happy to tell you that we're not done yet. We just found out we're doing a lot more of these, so we're not going anywhere soon. People, so enjoy watching with us. As I said, we're like over one hundred dcoms now and there's still like eight billion left to go.
Speaker 1: So not get rid of us yet. Thanks everybody, see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.