Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody? My conversation with entrepreneur and author John Hope Bryant was so good I decided to turn it into a special bonus episode, So hope you enjoy it, and don't forget that A new episode of Politics drops every Thursday and is available on iHeart or wherever you get your podcasts. Also, make sure to follow spolitics Pod on Instagram and TikTok, and to subscribe to my YouTube page. Anyway, here is more of my conversation with John Hope Bryant. So here's a concern that people have as it relates to maybe some of the things that you say, and I don't disagree with a lot of it, to be honest, But here's a concern is that if you attached and levered to so much, not just capitalism in America, we're talking about hyper capitalism in America, which is a different level of capitalism that we have here, ultimately, do you then begin to mimic the behaviors of the oppression that often comes with capitalism.
Speaker 2: You're so good. I mean, you're so good.
Speaker 3: You've given me two questions I've never been asked before, and they're two of the best questions I've ever been asked, and I get and I do this all week and you know, no, that's the real Again. God, if you want to make God laugh, tell them your plan.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I think that I think that black people are the moral compass for this country. I think that black people are the moral compass for the world, because no matter how successful we become, we're still black. My Latino brothers and sisters can can can integrate. And my Asian brothers and sisters, I mean, you can go out the lot Indians they can at some point they can mainstream, slick their hair back or whatever you know, you know, not get it to and in the summer changed their last name.
Speaker 2: My Jewish brothers and sisters, all of them.
Speaker 3: Can can can can mainstream integrate.
Speaker 2: We can't. We're still black no.
Speaker 3: Matter how successful we become, and we're and as a result of that, we carry this stigma, this burden, this this lash, this history that we keep reminding the world about like you gotta be you got to treat people decently. And we're a bridge to everybody else who's trying to come up because we are constantly reminded that we but by for the grace of God might be there ourselves. And so there's good capitalism and bad capitalism. Bad capitalism is where I benefit and everyone else pays a price for it. Slavery is an example of bad capitalism. Jim Crow Uh, sharecropping our examples of bad capitalism. I think private prisons are an example of bad capitalism. I mean we can check check cash. The pay of lenders actually came out of an honorable place, but they were pimped. Check cashing came out of you going to a grocery store and you'd be there to counter. Hey, by the way, I got my paycheck, could you just cash this for me so I can have some cash and they'll pay for my groceries. And then the grocery figured out they're making more money paying a one percent fee on a check with no inventory than getting two percent profit on shells where they had to buy inventory, So they became check cashers. That's where that came from. Same with payday lenders. A lot of this stuff is pumped and perverted, but the obnoxious versions of pity lending and all this stuff that's bad capitalism. Good capitalism is the person who braided your hair. Good capitalism is a person who just did gave me my manicure. Good capitalism is where I benefit and you benefit more. So we can't do this, this, this this podcast without technology which we the government did give it to us.
Speaker 2: We paid for it. The phone, we.
Speaker 3: Paid for, the pillar we slept on last night, we paid for I mean, we paid for it because there's more value than we're paying for, fair exchanges, no robbery.
Speaker 2: So so I think when good people win it am.
Speaker 3: If you're a good person and you become successful, you become a great person who's successful, and you tend to do great things with that greatness. You tend to be charitable, you tend to be philanthropic, you tend to give back. I mean you walk around worried all damn day, Jamail. I look at you all day, you worried about black people. I mean, it's not like it's your full time job. You wouldn't do that. Maybe, I don't think if you're a female, blonde hair, blue eyed from an uppercross white family, no matter how nice you are, you would not be doing It's not your lived experience. So the more so you bringing the people with you as you rise, you lift and rise, you lift, in rides, and I see that amongst all the people I know who are successul House with Killer Mike and t I. Yesterday they bought They could have put a restaurant in Buckhead, but they put it in. They put it. They put it, you know, Uh, in a in an underserved neighborhood. They could have gone to a wealthy area, but they put that restaurant where we could reach it. And everybody showed up by the way to support them in the community. But it's not a charity. You got to pay your bill at that restaurant, otherwise they can't pay their workers. So I'm philanthropic. Half of the contracts in my businesses go to minorities and women. Uh that's intentional. So I think that as you become more successful, if you have a consciousness, you bring the consciousness with you. Where did Ford Foundation come from? Where the Rockefeller Foundation come from? It came from capitalists. Harvard's named after a business person. I mean, uh, I mean people who founded these we think about these things. We're not thinking about the people who founded these things. Walmart was a business person. It was a farmer named Sam Walton.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Ups was was Jim Carrey who was a bicycle messenger. If we created these big companies, do you think we'd hire more black people and women?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: And as we had hundreds and thousands employees where we make them millionaires. Probably, What do those black millionaires do get back to their community? Fund their churches, fund fund their schools and their own create charter schools and their own community support the teachers and their public schools. They start in lifting up those left behind. So once again I come back to a broken record that I just said earlier. We just never tried this as a business plan. So yes, I do believe Stride Masaye was the six richest man in Africa's a dear friend of mine, brother the Bill Gates of Africa. Every time I talk to him, he's talking about how do I lift up my people. He's not talking about how much money has stacking his Benjamin's. He's not talking about He's trying to use his infrastructure as a force for good. I want to get to why, at some point, Jamie, I want to get to why I believe God has a sense of humor and why people listening to this should not be dismayed.
Speaker 2: They should be glad they're.
Speaker 3: Living at this point in history, because we are living through history is going to change the world because demographics are destiny. So at some point we'll get to that. I'm over talked. I've over answered that question, but it was a brilliant question. Yes, you can have good capitalists. You can do well and do good. I have four hundred employees, I have one hundred million dollar cash flow every year, four point eight billion dollars in total investment in underserved neighborhoods, five divisions of my organization. People just know about Operation Hope. I go to bed every night feeling good about how I run my business. I'm not perfect, but I know I've created millionaires. I know I'm paying people six figures. I know I gave my employees. When I saw my company, I gave my employees cars and gave them an investment account. I couldn't do that about it. Broke, I'm the one who comes up. Now, you know this is you. I'm not speaking to you. When somebody in our family gets gets gets in trouble, who do they call?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, they definitely call him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You can't do nothing, Broke. You can't do nothing. Poor, you cannot right, So you know we got a circular. If you hang around nine broke people, you're gonna be the tenth. I saw t I yesterday. He said, Oh, I spoke at UH at Afro Tech last week and I mentioned your name. I said, I said, well, I don't owe you any money. Why you mentioned it? My my name, my name? He said, well, I told him you were my mentor, UH, which was very nice and killer. Mike describes me as a mentor to him. And you know a lot of these a lot of these pro athletes, most pro athletes, and I just met Michelle Williams the other day of a destiny child and she wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be business people.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to be them, and they want to be business people because they once they get into it, they realized what the will get right, and so they want to go from cashing the check to writing it right. And what So what is t I investing in? Does he investing in? Does he have a bunch of cryptocurrency? No, my man, Yeah, he owns. Real est all might have with him is he doesn't use He doesn't use good debt. He buys it all cash, which is fine, it's not I mean, I think it's smarter ways of doing it. But I love that he's in a secure piece of assets that's going to go up when he's sleep. Jamail Hill, you're a brilliant lady. You've been to France. What's it inner city in France? Paris?
Speaker 1: I was like a Paris right, like I know certain certain parts.
Speaker 3: They figured it out prop in Paris and live in the suburbs in France, centrally located in real estate.
Speaker 2: That's where rich people live. What's the what's the inner city in the UK? London?
Speaker 3: What's the inner city in Turkey is Timbul, But here in America we're sitting in centrally located real estate. You mentioned Harlem earlier. Harlem was black, now it's now it's green. Anacostia that was black, now it's green. You can go on and on off. It's la You live in l a h. When you and I were growing up, south Central started at Crenshaw, stopped at Crenshaw.
Speaker 1: Oh it's different. Now you now already know I live here, so I can tell you like, oh it's different.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so so so you know, look, you know, I'm just I'm just saying that that that and black black folks have actually moved out of South Central, moved to rialto and all these other places.
Speaker 2: But but that's now centrally located.
Speaker 3: Real estate is there, Transportation is there is their jobs is near freeways and near fifteen minutes from the beach.
Speaker 2: It's central.
Speaker 3: We're giving it away, and there are places that I'm here in Atlanta from the from midtown Atlanta.
Speaker 2: To the airport is the gold mine. But you can still buy it.
Speaker 3: You can still buy a house for one hundred that little jacked up house, one hundred two thousand dollars. Buy it, buy rehabit and live in it. Buy rehabit and rent it out, and never sell. So I can control that narrative. I can control those variables. I just told you. Get my credit score up, you know, get my dead down, and get my savings up, access capital, you know, get my earn income tax credit to twenty thousand dollars check, making it thirty eight thousand dollars a year. Put that as a down payment for my one hundred thousand dollars house. Get some minority vendors to rehab the house, rent the house out, you know, keep it for five years it'll be worth three times what you paid for it. You do that three times, you're a millionaire. I mean, I just did that in three minutes. Stock market. Same thing. Like, I'm gonna tell you something that I did. I did dumb me two years ago. Two years ago, twenty twenty two. I put three and a half million dollars into a stock account with a with my family office manager. That money I just wanted to do. All I want to do is just sit there. I didn't need to do it, just sit there like an insurance policy. Like everything everything's going crazy. I know, I got that cash that I go grab and they invested it in the stock market and interest rates went up, and I wasn't paying attention, and I look up and I'd lost a half million dollars and I did what I told your audience not to do. I got emotional. I told him take all my money. That's left three million converted to cash, not cash but treasury bills like cash accessible, right, Dumbest thing I could have done. So I asked the guys, my guys two months ago, just curious what would have happened if I kept the money in the account, just did nothing. Well, we did that analysis for you, John, you would have lost another two hundred thousand dollars two fifty actually, so five hundred two fifty. I lost seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and then.
Speaker 2: The market career, and within the last year.
Speaker 3: I would have made seven to fifty back and another seven hundred thousand on top of it if I had just done nothing, just nothing. Now, let me tell you something that's gangster