Speaker 1: A loving mom. Lindsey Clancy googles ways to kill, then murders her three thoughts dead in the basement with her own exercise bands. Tonight, she claims, I was crazy good evening. I Nancy Grace, this is crime stories. I want to thank you for being with us.
Speaker 2: She knew, she knew right for wrong.
Speaker 3: What appears to be perfectly seen obviously was not.
Speaker 2: This woman. Whatever happened, whether it was.
Speaker 4: Planned in her mind, committed one of the most heenous acts I have ever heard.
Speaker 5: On Summer's Street was full of the police.
Speaker 6: Phil Hardy off the top Florida house and place earth as well, and.
Speaker 5: Neck injuries and Nick collaboration. She's conscious at this time.
Speaker 6: We're gonna check with the place.
Speaker 1: Who's over twenty foot fall.
Speaker 7: It's unknown where the knife is or whatever she used to splitter. She's in the looks like the opinion are on the back. We'll get that she.
Speaker 5: Did use the knife at first. Unknown where that is at this time. I'm on the way. We're with the county arrest as the two pediatrics arrests. We got to mutulate on the way.
Speaker 1: You are hearing the nine to one one calls at least part of them because the initial nine one one is from the father, the dad of those children. The judge has ordered that that not be released. While we are not bound by that judge's ruling, we are adhering to it in the interest of justice. Instead, you are hearing back and forth between law enforcement. Is that the missing piece of the puzzle. Mom slits her own wrists and jumps out a window after killing all three of her children, the youngest just eight months old. We have seen child murders by mommy many many times before. Is this the fact that sets her Lindsey Clancy apart from other moms? Well, do I have to say taught mom Casey Anthony Instead of any remorse, she was in every bar in town on stripper poles. Okay, so that's not really a good comparison. What about Angia Yates. Angrea Yates murdered all of her children similar to this case. She waits until her husband Rusty is gone, locks the doors and methodically kills each child, and they fought to live. Their bodies were bruised from fighting to get out from under the water where she held them under. Andrea Yates claimed postpartum psychosis and she was deemed to be psychotic at the time of the murders, and she is in a mental facility today years later. But then you've got Deanna Laney, also known as rock Mom, who bludgeoned her children dead with a rock, leaving one of them, as I recall, with permanent brain damage. She claimed psychosis. After eight short years she has walked free. Different scenarios, same underlining theory, joining me in All Star Powel. But first, let's take a listen to those nine on one calls again again to the control room do not play dad.
Speaker 4: On Summer's Street was full the police stille party across the top floor of the house players as well, and neck injuries and the neck collaborations.
Speaker 7: She's conscious at this time.
Speaker 5: We're gonna check with my plate who was over at twenty foot fall.
Speaker 7: It's unknown where the knight is or whatever she used to slay her. She's in the looks like their opinion are on the back. Well, uh get that she.
Speaker 6: Did use a knife at first.
Speaker 5: Unknown where that is at this time. I love I'm on the way where with the county arrest as the two pediatrics arrests were got to mutilate on the way mutualate at this time.
Speaker 1: Before I head out to our all star panel, including Christina Rex, out of this jurisdiction. He was being in the court room since the beginning and was at the crime scene the night of the murders of the three children. Before I go to Christina Rex and the rest of our panel, I want you to hear what Clancy's defense attorney has to say.
Speaker 4: She's extremely emotional. However, she's unable and has been unable to express any happiness or sadness or cry. And in fact, sometime about a month or two ago, she made the comment, I just wish that I could feel something now. Our society fails miserably in treating women with post partum depression or even post partum psychosis.
Speaker 1: From our friends at court chop, let me see a picture of the three children. We are seemingly focusing on the mom Lindsay Clancy, not on the three murder victims who could not fight back. They were strangled dead with mommy's exercise bands. After she googled ways to kill After she googled can you treat a sociopath? After writing in her journal that she resented her older two children, she sends the dad out for takeout food and to the pharmacy, waits for him to leave, and murders her children. And let me remind everyone, Lindsey Clancy is presumed innocent. Joining me Christina Rex, reporter WBZTV in the courtroom from the get go and on the crime scene that night, I hear the defense lawyer saying she's been crying. Oh, okay, I guess so she should crying. Some juncture she says she's crying. Sometimes she says she's not crying. I don't care if she's crying. They're dead. First, before we get to what's happening in the courtroom, there's gonna be hand to hand mutual combat over this case, because the prosecutor is digging in that mommy made a plan, The defense is digging in. This is not just postpartum depression, is postpartum psychosis. But I want to go to the night of the crime itself. Christina Rex, what did you observe at the scene?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so this is top three worst crime scenes I've ever been to. You know, as a reporter, we're behind the crime scene tape, so luckily I'm not. I didn't see the groupsome details, but I've never seen police officers weeping at a crime scene the way I did that night. When we had gotten there, it was, you know, a breaking news. We just heard it over the scanner. We didn't know what was going on. We just could tell it was something bad. But when I got to the crime scene and I saw police officers leaving the house in tears, we knew it was really, really a bad situation.
Speaker 1: And said that Christina Rex is my understanding that it was so bad that the seasoned officers had to get counseling.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's not unusual in Massachusetts after a traumatic event, often ones involving children for the police stations to offer counseling. But in this case, we know officers took the station up on that, it took the department up on that, and really did need that support because it was how traumatic this crime scene was.
Speaker 1: The children were all found herded into the basement and dead, strangled with mommy's exercise bands. You get there on the scene, again, what did you actually observe.
Speaker 8: Police officers in and out of the house bringing out evidence bags, which is pretty standard to see police officers crying, And I remember the district attorney showed up on the scene and held a press conference after ten pm, which I know that doesn't seem odd maybe to the general public, but for the district attorney, the head of the department for that entire county, to show up on scene to speak to the media that late at night, you knew this was something really serious.
Speaker 1: Were you there when the children's bodies were wheeled out?
Speaker 8: Yes, but in Massachusetts the often the medical examiner will bring a van and block the view of any members of the public or cameras as they bring the bodies out, so I didn't actually see them.
Speaker 1: I want to go to that night. Christina Rex joining us out of wb Z TV. Was mommy taken into custody that night.
Speaker 8: Yes, but it's complicated, so she had injuries of her own, so she was taken to a hospital. She was actually taken to the local hospital near Duxbury where they lived, and then brought to Boston because of the seriousness of her injuries you can see in the pictures here. So she was in custody in the sense that she was technically arrested and had police guards outside of her hospital room and at her hospital bed, and she wasn't allowed visitors. But you know, not taken into custody in the sense of going to jail the way we would think of it traditionally, because she was so hurt.
Speaker 1: Joining me is a renowned medical examiner, the chief medical examiner in Terren County, that's Fort Worth, Texas. He's an esteemed lecturer at the Burnett School of Medicine at TCU. He's a star of a hit podcast, Make Him in the Morgue, and he has performed well over ten thousand autopsies. Not only that, he has a husband and a father. Doctor Kendall Crowns, We've got two divergent views of what happened. I don't know the truth of it. Was she in postpartum psychosis not depression psychosis? Were you actually do not understand what you're doing? In this case, she heard a quote unknown mal voice ordering her to kill the children. She states that she said, go to God baby when she killed her children. So I've got the injuries to the three children, what happened to their bodies, And I've got mommy trying to slit her wrists and jumping out of a window and apparently paralyzing herself. Let's start with the children. Doctor Kendall Crown's strangulation. With the use of exercise bands, what would the bodies reveal? Would I be able to tell if they fought back like I know they did in the injury of Yates case because their bodies were covered in bruises.
Speaker 9: So sized bands are these kind of rubbery stilicone or latex bands. They have a fair amount of stretch to them. Each child has them tied around their necks quite tightly, So as far as findings would be, you would it's a ligature strangulation, so it would leave an impression around the neck that she could find at autopsy. Due to the young nature of the children, their throat structures, hyoid bone, thyroid cartilage wouldn't fracture because they aren't bony yet. You might see some neck muscular hemorrhages. As far as them fighting back, the infant, of course, probably wouldn't do much of anything. The slightly older children. The oldest child could kind of grab at the ligature trying to pull it off, which would leave fingernail marks on the neck as she was trying to remove the ligature from about her neck. If she fought back against her mom, she might have scratched at her mom, but it wouldn't show many injuries to her hands. Children don't have a lot of strength, so you don't usually see a lot of offensive injuries on them, meaning like punching or something like that. Typically, what you're going to find in a case like this is them trying to get that ligature off their neck and seeing scratches around their neck.
Speaker 1: Dodger Kndall crowns. If the children have been dosed with let's just say benadryl as an example, how would we tell that, because if they didn't try to fight back, were they dosed.
Speaker 9: So commonly in these type of cases, the mother does poison them or gives them a drug to put them in a sedative sedative state so they aren't moving around and they aren't fighting back, and also the parent doesn't have to deal with them crying as well, which is going to be very difficult. Benadryl is a typical one that is used because it'll put a child into a sleepy, trans like state, so they can be easily killed. One of the things we're going to look for in this situation is benadryl in the stomach, which leaves kind of a pink residue in the stomach contents itself, depending on how much benadryl was used, and then we'll also look at it in tuxologic testing, looking for specifically diphen hydramine, which is the non trade name of benadryl.
Speaker 1: Dodger Kimmel Crown's I want to move to the mom, Lindsey Clancy. I feel that there is enough evidence to show she knew what she was doing. She had the wherewithal to lie to her husband saying she was too exhausted to cook dinner and could he bring home takeout, and to the pharmacy to make sure he would be gone long enough, long enough time to herd the children, get them down to the basement to retrieve the exercise bands. However, have you seen the list of meds she was on. It's called poly pharm I don't know what doctors were giving her all these meds, but take all these meds and this alone would make you out of your mind. Listen to this. I'm going to give you the street names, the Latin names. The clinical names are unpronounceable to us regular people. Ambion which is zulpinum, klonopin, valium which is diazepam, prozac, lamic, till adavan, remern, sarah quill, trazodone. I mean, I believe she was on either eleven to thirteen prescriptions, and the each one is heavy duty. I'm not talking about a baby aspen doctor, serious serious medication, sleep pills, long acting anxiety pills, Sleep and anxiety. That's valium, antidepressant, mood stabilizers, another anxiety and sleep, another sleep an antipsychotic, another sleep. This woman had checked herself into voluntarily into clinics before the murders. What are these meds, doctor Kendall Crowns.
Speaker 9: So the medications you're describing are mixture of anti anxiety, antidepressants and as you said, sleep aids. She's obviously struggling with us ongoing anxiety depression, and this can all be brought on by pregnancy. It's a known clinical diagnosis. I'm not a psychiatrist, so I couldn't tell you exactly how it all works and what medications are best. But obviously she was going through something to be on that many anti anxiety, antidepressive medications. So does it play a factor? I couldn't tell you, but again it is something to consider.
Speaker 10: At approximately six to eleven last night, the Duxbury Police received a nine to eleven call for a report of a suspected attempted suicide of a female resident who had jumped from a window at the home at forty seven Summer Street. Upon arrival, Duxbury Police and Fire located the woman and she was treated on scene and transported to a local hospital for treatment, where she remains at this time. She's been identified as Lindsay Clancy, aged thirty two. First Responders subsequently located three children in the homes under the age of five, unconscious with obvious signs of severe trauma. A five year old girl and a three year old boy were transported to Beth Israel deacon His Hospital in Plymouth, where they were pronounced deceased. They'd been identified as Cora Clancy and Dawson Clancy. A seven month old infant boy was med flighted to Boston Children's Hospital, where he remains for treatment as we speak. Preliminarily it appears the children were strangled.
Speaker 1: How did they know that doctor Kendel Crowns, that was Timothy Cruz from Plymouth County, the district attorney at that time. How could they look at the bodies. That's where our friends at WNU are and know the children. The babies were strangled.
Speaker 9: So I believe when they are all found, they have the exercise bands tied about their necks, so right there you're going to know they're strangled. If the exercise bands are not there, you're going to have a ligature impression left around the neck from the band itself, which is this kind of gray red to tan impression that matches the exercise band. The other thing is is because it's going to clip off the internal jugular and the carotid artery, you're going to get particular hemorrhages, so you'll have multiple little particular pinpoint hemorrhages about the face, in the inner eyelids, and on the micosa in the mouth. All those findings externally point to strangulation.
Speaker 10: As a result of information gathered during the course of the investigation, we developed problem cause and today are seeking and obtaining an arrest warrant on a Plymouth District Court charging thirty two year old Lindsay Clancy, the mother of these children with their homicides. Lindsay Clancy, as a state is being treated at Boston Hospital as soon as able. We will be arraigning her and the two childes of murders and the deaths of forate children.
Speaker 1: The baby Callen was being treated he died again. That's Timothy Cruz, the then Plymouth County District Attorney from our friends at wmur. Doctor Kendall Crowns, let me remind you is a chief medical examiner in Tyrrett County. That's fort Worth, doctor Kendall Crowns. If they had lived, would they have been brain damaged permanently?
Speaker 9: It is a possibility because of the fact that it only takes a matter of minutes, about three to four it's for you to have enough lack of oxygen to the brain to cause permanent brain damage. So even if they had survived, there would have been long term implications or sequella from the lack of oxygen getting through their brain. They potentially would have been in a persistent vegetative state for their entire lives.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, I knew it was only a matter of time, doctor kendl Crown's. You're hitting me with Latin doctor Phrasers. What is sequilla?
Speaker 9: That is the consequences of having the lack of oxygen to your brain prinkma or your brain. Your brain starts dying. So the sequela of brain death means you might be paralyzed, you might be unable to breathe for yourself. You might have to be on all sorts of machines to keep you alive, which would be the vegetative state that they potentially could have been from the brain damage caused from the lack of oxygen to their brain.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kendl Crowns, how do you do it? How do you stay so calm and clinical? I was thinking about you explaining sequela. It sounds like the Latin derivative of sequence, the sequence of events following the strangulations with Mimmy's exercise bands. The sequence of events would be that they are forever in a persistent, as you say, vegetative state. In other words, like a coma. They can't move, they can't talk, they can't play, they can't speak. They're just lying there on life support until they die. The sequella, the sequence of events vegetative, vegetable, that's what happened to them. How do you, doctor Kimmel crimes, especially in light of the fact you're a dad, How do you not talk talk about this case? And think about your own children.
Speaker 9: So any pediatric case, well really, any case is upsetting. It's sad when someone dies, especially with children. Children really can't defend themselves. Children are innocent and they had a long life to live. It's upsetting. It's upsetting to me. I mean, like you said, I have kids, but I separate myself from the fact that they are not my children. And I have a job to do and if I do not, if I get too emotional, I get wrapped up in the emotion of the death of this child, I cannot perform my duties. I have a job to do to determine the cause and manner of death, no matter how upsetting it is. That's what I'm there to do, is to determine their cause and manner of death. And I would be doing a disservice to the decendent or the dead person and the family, the living family if I don't do my job correctly. So I can't sit there and be upset about this horrible tragedy. That is a because I have a job to do and that's what I do every day.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kendall Crowns, I want to talk about the mother and then I'm going to go to doctor Catherine Bendorf. She is a psychiatrist, postpartum expert, co founder and CEO of the medical director at the Motherhood Center in New York. You know what, hold on, because I want to come back to you about the physical nature of her injuries, doctor Kendall Crowns. And I would like to state that I can't think of anyone I would trust more performing an autopsy than doctor Kendall Crowns because of his, of course experience and education, but his steadiness. And as a former prosecutor. What am I going to do with a doctor that gets on the stand and cracks up and starts crying or gets upset. I mean, okay, I'm already upset. I don't need my medical examiner to be upset. Doctor Catherine Bendorf, you just must be like a limp dishrag because you deal with this every day. Oh my goodness, I've got so much to say about you. I'll try to see it quickly so you can get to the case. Okay, hold on. Founding Member Payne Whitney Women's Program at will Cornell Medicine. That's the New York Presbyterian Hospital. That's not shabby. Doctor not shabby, author of What No One Tells You, A Guide to Your Emotions From Pregnancy to Motherhood. All I had was what to expect when You're expecting it, and I was too tired to read it. I never heard about this What No One Tells You, A Guide to your Emotions from Pregnancy to Motherhood, and the Nine Rooms of Happiness, Loving your life, finding your purpose, getting over life's little imperfections. Doctor Bendorf, I could go on, but I want to get to the case in chief. You heard all of those pills and meds she was on once, I believe for schizophrenia, how can one person take all those meds and even function.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 11: For individuals with postpartum psychosis, they have to try different medications to see what works, and they are often tried at different times, not all at the same time. So for individuals suffering from illnesses like this, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorders, depression, anxiety, we generally try things. These are trial and air psychopharmacology, as you said, for polypharmacy, you know might be seen because there are multiple different medications being tried at different times. Sometimes there's a cross taper when you're putting one on and taking one off. So you know, I don't have an understanding of how these meds and what sequence they were used, but for someone with postpartum psychosis, they are medication. They sound like medications that are legitimately used for such an illness.
Speaker 1: What do you make of her being on this potpourri of serious, serious drugs.
Speaker 11: Again, for individuals with postpartum psychosis, I would say typically one is on three medications at minimum, right, a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, and probably an anti anxiety medication. That's a typical group of medications to treat. To really get a hold of this severe, serious, life threatening illness that is a psychiatric or medical emergency, you need to use the big guns, so to speak. And not all medications the first time work for somebody, so you might have to try something else. So what I make is that in somebody. Again, I don't know the sequence of events or when they were used at what times, but yeah, it would be uncommon to have somebody on all of them at the same time.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to make sense of what I am learning about the case. Back to investigative reporter Christina Rex from WBZTV, who was there on the scene the night of the murders. Anne has been in court. This is going to be a not down drag out in court. The prosecutor is digging in that Mommy knew what she was doing. The defense is arguing postpartum psychosis. Psychosis is much different from depression. Christina Rex, Is it true that mom tried to commit suicide?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: In this case, Yes, it seems to me the state is going to argue, why did she try to commit suicide if she didn't know what she had just done was wrong.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does seem like they're going to try to argue that. And not only that, they claim in their opening statements that there was a phone call that Lindsay actually pulled Patrick back. So you know, if the defense is arguing that she was in the state of psychosis, they're going to have to say when that was was it the entire time? Yeah, And at previous hearings the prosecutors had kind of insinuated that maybe the suicide attempt was, you know, feeble at best, which is something that the defense attorney really dug into in his opening statement fighting back against that allegation.
Speaker 1: Christina Rex WBZTV. You stated that a phone call was made. What is the significance of the phone call? When was the moment the call was made.
Speaker 8: So we always knew that there was a fourteen second phone call between Lindsay and Patrick at the point where Patrick was away from the house and when Lindsay was home alone with the kids that night. We didn't know specifically when the phone call happened. But in the prosecutor's opening statement, she claimed that the phone call happened in between the time when Lindsay had already killed the children in the basement and before she went upstairs to try to take her own life. So the claim was that Lindsay had a miss call on her phone from Patrick because he was at the pharmacy getting some medicine for their oldest daughter, and she called him back and had a fourteen second conversation with him, and she was on the first floor at the time then before she went upstairs to attempt to take her own life. So she spoke to him on the phone, and he had told investigators that she seemed normal, nothing seemed like it was.
Speaker 1: All Oh my stars, Now I see one of the prosecutors bringing it.
Speaker 8: Up, right, that's what the prosecutors are claiming happened there, and Patrick had told investigators early on that the only thing that seemed different on the phone call was that she seemed like she was distracted by something.
Speaker 1: The three bodies in the basement possibly. What can you tell me about her Internet searches?
Speaker 8: So prosecutors say that over the course of some time, I don't know the specific amount of time, but not just that day. On the family laptop, which only Lindsay and Patrick had access to, there were searches for suicidal ideations, ways to commit suicide, ways to kill. And Patrick has testified that he didn't make those searches. So then the takeaway is that Lindsay is the one who made those searches.
Speaker 1: Where did we learn about her writings? I guess it was in her journal that she resented the older two children.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Lindsay kept a diary, and this is part of the indictment, so you know, when the prosecutors indicted her, there's a whole statement of the case where they really lay out why they're charging her with first degree murder, and they claim that she kept a diary where she wrote kind of daily logs and sometimes feelings, and that she wrote at one point that she was and did her two older children because they put her in a position where she didn't feel like she could treat her youngest Kllen, like her first baby. And actually, Patrick testified that there were often times, you know, once Callen was born, where Lindsay would take care of the baby. They would often, he said, divide and conker, so Lindsay would take care of the baby Callen and Patrick would take care of the two older children.
Speaker 3: Bllymouth County, Massachusetts grand jury and diet of Lindsay Clancy and the killings of her three children, Cora five, Dawson three, and eight month old Kallen. The thirty three year old faces three counts each of murder and strangulation. CT Insider reports after allegedly killing her children, Clancy attempted to commit suicide by cutting her wrists and jumping out the second story window of her home. Clancy's attorney says she's paralyzed from the waist down, suffering from spinal injuries, and likely will never walk again.
Speaker 12: They were strangled, deliberately and meticulously killed by this defind on January twenty fourth, One by one, she wrapped exercise vans around each one of the kids necks and pulled until the little bodies were limp and lifeless, first Dawson, then Cora, and finally Calling. She goes to the second floor mastered bedroom, locks the door, crashes up some pills, and attempts to take her own knife. She uses the knife she got in the kitchen to slash her wrists and her neck. She moves the bed away from the wall, away from the window. She opens that window and goes out. She lands on the cold, hard ground. Patrick tells the first responders, I need to find my kids. He had asked the defendant where the kids were, and she told them they were in the basement, So when he went in the house, that's the first place he went down into the basement. He's still on the phone with nine to one one when he finds each child with an exercise fan still wrapped around their necks. He screams for help and he says he failed the kids.
Speaker 1: You are hearing the felony prosecutor in this case, Shannon Buckingham, giving her opening to the jury. That's why our friends at East Idaho News straight out now to veteran trial lawyer, criminal defense attorney Eric Fattus, founder the law offices of Eric Fattus. Okay, Eric, hit it, what's your best your best shot.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure I've seen a stronger mental health case in this case.
Speaker 1: The jury's got to decide.
Speaker 6: Is Lindsey Clancy a bloodthirsty monster who delights in the death of her own children? Or is she someone who was severely deranged hearing hallucinations of boys telling her to kill her children on teen drug cocktail and the person who the father of those children described as very, very sick at trial?
Speaker 1: Which one is she?
Speaker 6: I think everybody can look at the case, the historical record, things leading up to what happened, and determined that that it's the latter, that she had suffered a psychotic break, not only postpartum psychosis, but also bipolar disorder, contending with multiple diseases or defects, aligned with the defense statute in terms of a lack of criminal responsibility, a very strong mental health defense here.
Speaker 1: Christina rax WBZTV. Had she been in mental health therapy pre children? I know she had best part of depression, but before that, had she had treatment for schizophrenia or any other mental illness?
Speaker 8: So no, at least what her ex husband Patrick hastified to was that her mental health issues. You know, she struggled and had maybe seen a therapist briefly after her first or second child, but really when she got into mental health treatment, numerous different kinds of treatment. Was starting in September of twenty twenty two, which was just four or five months before she killed the kids.
Speaker 1: So prior to this, there had been no extend in mental health treatment. She was not under medications. Let's just say four hallucinations for suicidal ideation, for psychosis, for schizophrenia, even for depression. Nothing.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's correct.
Speaker 1: That's significant because the state's going to argue, so she suddenly went crazy now and killed her children. And back to you, Fattus, why are you saying either she is a quote your words, not mine, a bloodthirsty monster or a woman that had been over prescribed serious drugs. Those aren't my only two choices, and I don't really accept either one of them.
Speaker 6: I think the prosecutor has got to convince this jury that that Lindsey Clancy was of reasonably sound mind and did this in a calculated and knowing fashion, that this was deliberate, that she wanted to just off her kids. But there really just isn't any significant evidence of her motive to do that, of a reason to do that, of some kind of payoff.
Speaker 1: Instead, according to Patrick, did you just motive? WHOA? Let me send you back in the time machine to criminal law one l first year. The state doesn't have to prove motive. I don't have to get in her head and bang around like as Granny's attic and figure out what the motive is. We don't have to prove motive. So you don't erase Jurassic erase. Okay, try again, faddus.
Speaker 6: Even though motive is not an element of the press has to prove. Don't you think a jury wants to be given a reason why she would do this? The reason they have is that she voiced some frustration about some of her kids at some point. Haven't all parents done that? Does that equate to a motive to strangle three of your children to death?
Speaker 1: I don't think it does. Against common pectivity, don't need to show a motive. Why does any parent? You know what I've got an expert. Brian Bennett is joining us along with doctor Catherine Bendor. Brian Bennett, former state law enforcement officer over twenty five years, Senior Instructor in Advanced Behavioral Science at the State Police Academy in South Carolina sixteen years and he specializes in strangulation, assaults, domestic violence, and elder abuse. Brian, is there a motive to kill a child? Is there a good reason? Have you ever heard a good reason why the child has to die? I haven't.
Speaker 2: No, I mean never a good reason for me. Some of the offenders that we've arrested in the past, they formulate a reason that seems to make them feel better or justify their actions. With respect to this case, and one thing that I immediately thought of is something I say all the time, and that's patterns always exist before the time of discovery. What really matters is what do those patterns tell us. Certainly we have patterns of searching the internet, patterns of you know, sending the husband out, but we also see patterns of mental health treatment, patterns of going to doctors and getting medication. So the combination of patterns and what those mean are going to be really important to both the prosecution and defense and what the jury determines what has the most weight in their final decision.
Speaker 11: Dodger Katherine Burndorth, if it's medically determined that she had postpartum sat kosis. The symptoms of it are, you know, having delusions, hallucinations, confusions, beliefs that are out of touch with reality, and that can exist in a very circumscribed way inside what appears to be very normal behaviors, so you won't always see it. It comes and goes, it waxes and wanes, and that is why there's confusion. It's a tricky illness and we don't have enough education around it or training for it at places like the Motherhood Center or through PSI. We don't have enough discussion about it so that healthcare professionals can recognize it and swiftly and get people to the care they need. It's a very tricky illness. So it comes and goes, and it may appear that someone is doing okay, and simultaneously there is this almost let's say, absess within the brain that is psychiatric that is includes command auditory hallucinations, delusions, fixed false beliefs that what they are doing is right and has to happen for various non reality based reasons. So again, if it's medically determined that that Lindsay Clancy had postpartum psychosis, then her behavior is consistent with this illness.
Speaker 1: At this hour, Lindsay Clancy is in the fight of her life. She is in a court of law. She's being tried for the murders of her three children. Her husband was listed as both a defense witness and the state's witness. He was witness number one for the state. He has moved, remarried, and started a new life trying to get beyond the murders of his three children. And let me remind everyone that this defendant, Lindsay Clancy, and all defendants are innocent until proven guilty. Proven guilty with evidence that pierces the presumption of innocence and proves beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant is in fact guilty. So as we go to air tonight, Lindsey Clancy is presumed innocent. If you know or think you know anything about this case dial seven eight one nine three four five six five six seven eight one nine three four five six five six. We remember an American hero to take of Scott McKenna, NYCPD passed away in the line of duty, leaving behind a grieving wife, Danielle and son. Sean American hero detake of Scott McKenna. Thank you to all of our guests. I only wish I had more time to explore this with them, but thank you especially to you for being with us tonight. An'tsy grace signing off for tonight, but I'll see you tomorrow night, and until then, good night friend,