Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where there are no kings except Abe Frohman, the sausage King of Chicago.
Speaker 2: But we do love our queens, looking.
Speaker 1: At you, BJK Simone, Asia Pino. It's Monday, June sixteenth, and on today's show we'll be chatting with actors James Rode Rodriguez and Tom Everett Scott about the WNBA Fantasy League that brought us together, the w players surprising us this season in ways both good and bad, and how in the hell too degenerate NFL fantasy players brought their sickness to a WNBA league in the first place, Plus a very early attempt at what could be a long standing record. Good things come in pairs, and a strong message of support from the City of Angels. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Hope you had a great weekend. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the WNBA, where Caitlin Clark is back and the New York Liberty's unbeaten streak is over. It was in top form in her return from a quad injury on Saturday, recording thirty two points to lead the Indiana Fever to a one oh two eighty eight victory over the Liberty, handing the defending WNBA champs their first loss of the season. Clark tied her career high for three pointers with seven, and added nine assists and eight rebounds, putting on a show with a handful of her signature deep deep deep threes, including back to back to back trays all in less than forty five seconds in the first quarter. Prior to Clark's five game absence, she had never missed a game in her WNBA or college career. Guard Sophie Cunningham was also back in the lineup for the Fever after missing time with an ankle injury.
Speaker 2: The only bad news for.
Speaker 1: Indiana fans after that win is that with Clark and Cunningham back, the team had to waive Airy McDonald, who signed a hardship contract when the Fever's roster dipped below ten players, and she impressed in her three games with the team, maybe she'll pop up on another roster. Caitlin Clark's big comeback came just after another highly anticipated return to the court. Number one zero overall draft pick Page Becker's back in the lineup with the Dallas Wings last Wednesday. We haven't had a chance to mention it since then, but I couldn't let it pass without giving her a shout out because after missing four games for concussion protocol and an illness, she did not miss a beat, hitting her first six shots of the game and finishing thirteen of nineteen from the field for thirty five points. Unfortunately, the rest of the Wings combined to shoot thirty three percent from the field and the Phoenix Mercury got the win ninety three to eighty. Wings fans might have been excited to see Page go off, but the Mercury wanted a little more love for the dub posting quote when we won the game.
Speaker 2: But we don't have a single.
Speaker 1: Highlight in the two minute, twenty four second recap video from the WNBA. So we put together some Mercury highlights from last night's game in case you watched the other video and didn't see a single one, because there wasn't a single one end quote Spicy.
Speaker 2: And frankly, I can't blame them.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, the Sparks signed veteran guard Shape Petty to a hardship contract on Saturday after losing Julia Aliba on to EuroBasket and with Odyssey Simms out.
Speaker 2: For personal reasons.
Speaker 1: If you aren't familiar with Petty and her WNBA journey, let's just say she's a case study in how hard it is to earn and keep a roster spot in this league. Originally drafted in twenty twelve, she didn't actually make her w debut until twenty nineteen. We've linked to an old thread and story from journalist Lindsay Gibbs in the show notes, which will give you a taste of Petty's work, ethic, and persistence in this league. Petty also played in Athletes Unlimited Basketball in the offseason, where she was named twenty twenty five Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Glad to see you back in the w SHA more WNBA.
Speaker 1: The Golden State Valkyries recorded their third straight win on Saturday, defeating the Seattle Storm seventy six seventy. Kayla Thornton led the Valks with twenty two points and twelve rebounds, while Temmy fag Benley added sixteen points. The Valks also became the first since the nineteen ninety eight and ninety nine Washington Mystics to report attendance of eighteen thousand plus in five home games in the same season, and they're the very first to do so in their first five home games. Stup for the WNBA's newest team a meeting with the Dallas Wings on Tuesday. Ahead of that one, the Valks announced that the team has re signed Caitlin Chen. Now you may recall that Chen, who helped Yukon win the NCAA title this year as a transfer student, was drafted by the Valkyrise, but she was waived after two preseason games. While on Sunday, Golden State announced that Chen is back. We'll have to see how she fits into the team's long term roster plans, but in the meantime, we're hoping she gets to log at least a few minutes against fellow Husky Page Beckers on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Which brings us back.
Speaker 1: To the Dallas Wings, who are also doing some roster tweaking. They've acquired Lee Rue from the Seattle Storm in a trade. In return, the Storm get two future draft picks. Lee, who hails from China, had requested a trade from the Storm in order to get more playing time. Speaking to reporters last week, she said that she came to the US to play basketball, so playing time is a priority. More WNBA and a few more records and achievements to shout out from this weekend. First, the Atlanta Dreams Ryan Howard tied the WNBA record for most three pointers made in a single game. Howard recorded thirty six total points, including going nine for nineteen from three in Atlanta's eighty eight to seventy win over Chicago on Friday. She joins Jewel Lloyd, Kelsey Mitchell, and ari ke Gunbowale as the only players to make nine threes in a single WNBA game. Chicago's Angel Reese had her own big game in the Sky's next outing, recording her first WNBA career triple double on Sunday with eleven points, thirteen rebounds, and eleven assists in Chicago's seventy eight sixty.
Speaker 2: Six win over the Connecticut Sun.
Speaker 1: Per across the timeline, Reese is the second youngest player in WNBA history to record a double double, behind only Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 2: More hoops news.
Speaker 1: This past Saturday with the twenty twenty five Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Induction ceremony at the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville. Four great players, Sylvia Fowls, Elena Beard, Cappy Pondexter, and Sue Byrd were inducted, along with coaches Mark Campbell and Lucille Cavalas, and former Georgia Tech women's basketball standout and executive director of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association Danielle Donahue. The four players, Fowls, Beard, Pondexter, and Bird combined for more than thirty All Star selections, eleven WNBA championships, and countless Olympic and international titles. Said Byrd during her speech, quote, I am filled with overwhelming pride.
Speaker 2: We all should.
Speaker 1: The game isn't just surviving, it's thriving. To witness this generation of players stepping into their power, being unapologetic and celebrated for their talent.
Speaker 2: That's the real dream come true. End quote.
Speaker 1: To the NWSL amid ongoing immigration raids in Los Angeles and protests against those raids, Angel CITYFC made a statement ahead of Saturday's game against the North Carolina Courage. The club printed out ten thousand t shirts that read Immigrant City Football Club on the front and Los Angeles Is for Everyone Los Angeles s Paro Totos on the back and placed them on seats for fans to wear. The club also issued a statement which set in part quote the fabric of this city is made of immigrants. Football does not exist without immigrants. This club does not exist without immigrants. End quote. ACFC went on to lose the match two to one, with North care line is Brianna Pinto scoring the game winner in stoppage time. Center back Kaylee Kurtz also made some history in the win, becoming the first NWSL player to record one hundred consecutive starts with the same club. More NWSL, the league announced that this year's NWSL Championship will be played at San Jose's PayPal.
Speaker 2: Park, home of BAFC.
Speaker 1: The game is set for Saturday, November twenty second, and tickets for the final will go on sale in August. To Ncuba Track and Field, the national Championships concluded over the weekend, with Georgia winning its first outdoor women's track and field title in program history. The Bulldogs were led by Olympic gold medallist Eliah Butler and d j A. Oakley, who went one to two in the women's four hundred meter meantime. One of our favorite headlines from track Nationals came in the pole vault final, where Washington sophomore Hannah Mall won the NCAA title and broke the collegiate record by clearing four point seven to nine meters. But it wasn't just anyone who set the record she broke. It was her twin sister and fellow Husky, Amanda Mal, who set the old mark while competing at last month's Big Ten Championship. Amanda, who was undefare this season entering ncuble a's, went on to finish third, while Rutgers Chloe Timberg finished second. Sandwich between the Mal twins. Another record worth noting. Michigan's Savannah Sutherland ended her collegiate career in style, winning the four hundred meter hurdles national title in fifty two point four to six seconds, breaking the previous NCAA record of fifty two points seven to six set in twenty eighteen by none other than the legendary Sydney McLaughlin. Lavroni to softball and the AUSL where the Bandits are at the top of the fourteen leader board following four straight wins, one against the talents and three against the volts, but the most exciting game of the weekend was Game one of a double header between the Blaze and the Talents, featuring an incredible comeback from the Blaze.
Speaker 2: Here's how it went down.
Speaker 1: The Blaze trailed twelve to one in the fourth inning twelve two one, but they pulled off an incredible eleven run comeback, which may have been helped by a fifty six minute rain delay midway through the fourth. And I know, my fellow Chicago Cubs fans know the power of a well timed rain delay see the twenty sixteen World Series. Anyway, once the rain stopped, Bailey Klinger got things rolling with the three run homer, with the Blaze ultimately tying things up twelve twelve in the sixth, but it was the Talents who went on to win the game, with infielder Sydney Romero recording a two run home run in the bottom of the seventh. Talents followed it up with a seven to six winning Game two of the devilheader. So while the Blaze took the l's, it's possible their eleven run comeback will be in the AUSL record books for a very long time. For comparison, the last time the MLB saw eleven run comeback August two thousand and one to tennis and some news we can get behind from the Women's Tennis Association. The WTA announced last week that players can now take time away for fertility related procedures like egg and embryo freezing without impacting their world ranking. Moving forward, eligible players who missed time for fertility procedures will receive a protected ranking calculated using the twelve week average of their WTA ranking from eight weeks prior to the start of their miscompetition time. They're then eligible to use that special ranking to interrupt three tournaments within ten weeks of returning. While most doctors agree that low impact exercises generally fine during IVF treatment, strenuous workouts are often advised against due to the risk of ovarian torsions. That means lead athletes often have to scale back while undergoing treatment.
Speaker 2: We got to take a quick break when we come back.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of Hollywood stars playing WNBA Fantasy.
Speaker 2: It's Tom and.
Speaker 1: James next joining us now. He's an actor, director, and screenwriter known for shows like psych and A Million Little Things, currently directing ABC's high potential starring It's Always Sonny's Kaitlyn Olsen, a Texas native, NYU grad, dog foster, animal lover and environmental advocate. He's got a serious fantasy sports problem. And this isn't actually a podcast, it's an intervention. It's James Rode Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: Hi, James, thank you so much for caring enough to try to help me.
Speaker 2: Also with us.
Speaker 1: He's an actor known for movies like That Thing You'd Do an American Werewolf in Paris, Boiler Room, and La La Land, and TV shows including Southland, Er Lawn, Order, Will and Grace, Thirteen Reasons Why, and the Hilarious Underappreciated I'm Sorry. He's currently in production playing Elwood's dad in Elle, the Legally Blonde Prequeil series. A Massachusetts native and Syracuse grad, He's a father who's blowing off his kids on Father's Day to hang out with us instead.
Speaker 2: It's Tom Evert Scott, Hi, Tom.
Speaker 4: Hey, Yeah, whatever, those kids, they don't need me anymore.
Speaker 1: Grown fine, Thank you guys for joining the show.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to chat.
Speaker 1: Before I get to why you're here and why it makes sense, I'd like to start with how you know each other?
Speaker 5: James.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how you two met.
Speaker 3: Tom and I met because we were we both found ourselves in the same dynasty league. Am I on the right path here? Tom?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Right through Garrett, right.
Speaker 3: Through Garrett Leerner, a wonderful screenwriter and fantasy football enthusiast, asked me if I wanted to be my first dynasty league, and it was sort of the one, the thing that I hadn't done yet, and in some way I was like, well, this is the gateway that I know. I don't have a problem because I don't have a dynasty team yet. But then I said yes to that, and Tom, sure enough, is a part of that league and it's a little bit of us versus them. I think the name of the league is Hollywood Randos, That's right, And it's like half people in our business and half people in the fantasy football business. And I believe we have dominated. I think we're going into.
Speaker 5: Like the Hollywood part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah. We're crushing these guys.
Speaker 2: So you're beating the experts, the fantasy experts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are impressive, and it feels good, feels good. Tom and I also realized that we had met many many years previously in Vancouver. What I was doing Yeah, well, I was doing psych and he was working on a show called Saved, and I don't know. It was just warm feelings all the way around. Tom is one of the all time good guys in our business. Everyone says, so you don't get hands selected by Tom Hanks if you don't have that Hanksyan vibe. So he's just was just the easiest guy to warm up too. And now I'm proud to say that we're not just in the same dynasty league, we're pals.
Speaker 5: We are pals. We became pals.
Speaker 1: Is it true, Tom, that you almost weren't hand selected by Tom Hanks for that big break because you were too Hanksyan and they worried you were too similar to him. And it wasn't until his wife stepped in and said worth it, give him the job.
Speaker 5: That's pretty much what happened.
Speaker 4: He told me that he was not necessarily gonna even though he thought I was right. He thought I was too much like him. And Rita watched my tape and said, you should hire this guy. So I owe it all to Rita.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess because it wouldn't have made sense in the movie for you guys to be related. But I mean, there is no better, I think compliment than being told you're very Tom Hanksy. And I think that's about us about as good as it gets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, come on, like, that's pretty good. That's better than.
Speaker 1: Most American icon legend everybody. It's like, it's like mister He's like mister Rogers.
Speaker 2: Basically he is.
Speaker 5: He played mister Rogers.
Speaker 3: He did, Yeah, yeah, of course he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, James, you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that you were worried about your addiction, but the fact that you weren't in a dynasty league made it clear that you were fine. And then of course you joined a dynasty league, confirming that you were never and are still not fine. So first of all, can you tell people what a dynasty league is? And then also can you give us a look at your peak depravity? How many leagues at once in how many different sports is peak depraved?
Speaker 3: All right, I'll start with the easy one that I feel less shame about, and that's just telling you what a dynasty league is. A dynasty league is where you do a startup draft, like a normal startup draft, like you would for any draft redraft league. Our ours happens to be a super flex which means you can you know, you start two quarterbacks. But then what happens is that's just your team forever, so.
Speaker 2: You become you're a real GM. James, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Real GM, and so is Tom. And then each year, come draft time, all you're really doing is effectively drafting rookies from that season's draft. And then we also have Every league is different, but in ours, any veterans that are hanging out on the wire are also eligible for our rookie draft, which you know, once you get into the fourth and fifth rounds, you might see some journeyman receivers or some third string quarterbacks coming off.
Speaker 2: The board someone the Bears killed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, as.
Speaker 2: An opportunity elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that was the final step for you give us like, what are we at now?
Speaker 2: Where we had a reasonable number and what was the peak number?
Speaker 3: The peak number I think was two seasons ago because it climbed up over fifteen, and that's when I said, no, I have to get under fifteen. And then last year I think I was at fourteen. So I did what I said I was going to do because I'm I'm a man of my word. I speak truth to power. And now you know, every season is its own, you know, adventure. I have a hard time saying no to anything charity related. So that Jack's my my number up for sure. I've got my home league, I've got my Dynasty League. I'm a big friend of a guillotine. I love a guillotine. What a fun format that is?
Speaker 1: What that is and I've never even heard of it. You truly are a degenerate.
Speaker 3: Tom and I are in the same guillotine, one of those.
Speaker 4: You get eighteen teams and then each week the lowest scoring team gets cut until they she left and.
Speaker 2: There is a higher suicide league.
Speaker 1: But it's not it's your teams instead of the professional teams losing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and their entire roster goes under the waiver war.
Speaker 1: Oh, It's like relegation in the Premier League, except for instead of waiting till the end of the season, it's just mid season you get Wow. Okay, So Tom, you're also a degenerate.
Speaker 4: Oh man, say fifteen is probably like right in the same neighborhood for me. At one point I had to cut some weight. Some of that it was too much. I mean, I felt I just saw the look on my wife's face when fall started rolling in and she'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, yeah, OK go, Well, now that we've established that you're in every type of league for every type of sport, let's talk about the league we're actually in. We're in a WNBA auction style fantasy league called the D League, and it's actually pretty simple. When you draft, you just have to promise a certain amount of money out of your total to get the players that you want, and then you can get a bunch after that for free. But it's my first season along with my teammate Tie, and I roped in Friends of the Show comedian Aaron Foley and ultra runner Klaan Connigan to form a team.
Speaker 2: As well, and we're trying to learn.
Speaker 1: But currently you guys are one in, which isn't a surprise your professionals, James, When did the D League start? And who are the other folks in it? Who am I playing against? Are the actors?
Speaker 2: Are they friends or are they just fellow degenerates.
Speaker 3: We're all degenerates. We started four seasons ago. You are playing with two guys, lovely gentlemen that I went to high school with, who Tom also knows, named Ray and Ben. Ben is our commissioner. We became big college fans because we do a yearly trip to Vegas during March Madness, and we were betting on women's games like crazy, and we realized that we knew more players. And this is not you know, you do the math and it don't it's not a shock. But you get to know the players in the women's game so much better because they stick around for four years, and we were able to identify, like all of these these ladies that we were fans of, and then that sort of just took a natural segue into forming a WNBA fantasy league, which on ESPN only started like I think four or five years ago, so I don't know if we got in year one, but we might have. And I believe Ben took the first season crown, the inaugural where we only had four teams. Then we upped it to six and I have won the last two and I'm currently going for number three, which you have now been tagged into try and stop me from doing.
Speaker 4: This is my first year in the league, OK, I'm trying to figure this out. I'm right there with you, Sarah. I don't I've never done football. Well, thank you, I you know, I got I think I got lucky. I think I made some crucial mistakes so far. I dropped some starters and other people smartly grabbed them, and I was like, oh, wait, don't you just rotate these players?
Speaker 3: But you know what, it's so tough in the first month of the WNBA season because rotations aren't set. There's always some players that start in Europe and then land or leave the w and go to your and you got to keep track of like who's going to be around and who's not I drafted, you know that Valkyrie number one pick, who's not even gonna play this season. Like you have to sort of like catch up, and it takes like a solid month, you know, to do that.
Speaker 5: So well.
Speaker 4: Also the thing that I'm having a hard time figuring out And James, you've done Richard Street baseball too. Yeah, I don't know if you've ever done any other like daily but football you just do by the weekend you're playing. But this is every day. You got to kind of figure out who's who to start, who to play. That really threw me for a loop, trying to fill out my roster, like optimizing my robster each week.
Speaker 5: It's been hard. I am not very good at it. Sarah, you've got a good team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're getting better. We got our first win.
Speaker 1: I had a button that said I could just automatically optimize it where it would put the people who had a game in every day, and then it like one day I went to check and it had stopped. So now I just like bump ahead every day and change my roster a couple days in advance so that if I forget to look, I'm at least playing all the people playing. But to your point, our team Skyler's Old Pussy, which.
Speaker 5: I great name, really want everyone.
Speaker 2: To know the origin of because it's weird if they don't.
Speaker 1: So, just in case you haven't heard me mention it on the show in a previous episode, it is because Skyler Diggan Smith was caught on a hot BLI like telling an opposing player that she felt young butter Pussy was old because of having kids, and how could I not name my team?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right, Yeah, but Tom you're and strong, thank you? Yes, your team wrong and strong.
Speaker 2: You're sitting in.
Speaker 1: Second at two in one and you did beat my team in week one and James your team three p defender a very subtle nod to the fact you're going for your three p Thanks for rubbing it in currently three and zero, Explain to us how you're kicking our ass so that we can make adjustments, and.
Speaker 3: Betsy Well, I put the b in subtle, Sarah, I think you know that. Here's what it comes down. It comes down to drafting a great core, and by cores, I mean like four or five players where you allocate your money in such a way that you know, if you suffer injuries to other players, it's never going to affect you that much because you basically have one hundred and twenty points every time they all play a game. And then outside of that, you know you're looking for some upside. You're looking for someone who you know is not flashy, not sexy. Perfect example. I've had her for three years in a row. Now, Minnesota power forward Atlanta Smith. She might crawl to double digit points, but she's second in the league in blocks, She's one of the best defensive players in the league. And she will get you, you know, twenty to twenty five points a game very quietly, but it's dependable. You want players like that. And then the last key to it is. You have to have at least one sort of slush spot on the end of your bench that you're not attached to, so that if you need to rotate a player in and out because the person you're playing has seven more games on the schedule.
Speaker 2: Than you do, right you the part You.
Speaker 3: Got to have that player that you can, you know, hit the bricks pretty much.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Day, I'm struggling with that because every time I look to do that, because I watched you make so many rotations, and I'm like, oh, I'm just sticking with the people I have. But everybody out there to pick up has fewer points average than my players, and so I'm worried if I do that, I'm just going to get rid of someone who's consistently better.
Speaker 2: Tom If you found a player that you were.
Speaker 1: Like excited to see heading into this season, either a rookie or someone you thought would be coming in hot, or someone that would be good for your roster, and immediately you were like, Okay, I don't know what I'm doing, and or like someone that you added to your roster and then now you're like, whoh, I had no idea they were going to be performing this way.
Speaker 4: I mean kind of like last year when I was watching THES it was my first like understanding of like how great these players are and I and I didn't really know that I was going to be in this league at that point. So then when we came to getting close to our auction draft, I was like, Okay, I know some of those players. And then I looked on YouTube and I found this great YouTube person called Brooks Bench and she yeah, and she and her friend they just were talking up drafting their WNBA fantasy teams and they were listing their favorite players. And I just said, if these guys know this much about women's basketball, I'm just going to take their advice.
Speaker 2: Smart.
Speaker 4: And so without really knowing these players, I had these tiers and I knew how much I was going to That's what I do in fantasy football when I draft, I just have tiers of guys and it was great.
Speaker 5: It helped me get fords of women.
Speaker 1: If you will you buyers of women for your fantasy deep cut women, James, I want you to explain how you managed to steal Caitlyn Clark that.
Speaker 5: Was such a great trade and benefit.
Speaker 1: From her huge return to play without dropping a single dollar on her in the auction draft and with the person who traded her to like doing it at such a late time that there was really no purpose by the time he finally traded her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so dear Ray over bed on Caitlyn. He dropped one hundred and twenty of his two hundred dollars on her, thinking that he was driving up the price. We all immediately were like, no, he had Caitlyn Clark and then no money left to spend, and so he got off to a really rough start. He wasn't just losing, like he was getting destroyed because he only had Caitlyn and then she got hurt and it was two weeks minimum, and I pounced. I offered him something the day that report came out and then been I and I think he thought he was that this was strategy. Found an article I think from Athlon Sports from.
Speaker 2: Someone can't be trusted?
Speaker 3: Can trusted doctor that had nothing to do with the team.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's like a it's like probably like the doctor from thirty Rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were like, with this kind of injury, we would expect her to be out for a lot longer than two weeks, but we don't think that you know, her career or is in jeopardy, and so it was it sort of played right into my hands because I was like, I'm not believing an article from Athlon, so I know Caitlin Clark is probably like frothing at the mouth to get back as soon as humanly possible, and I actually got I actually got away with not having to give up Alyssa Thomas, who I originally was going to make part of that deal, but then it was like, ah, dude, I don't know if she's going to be out for a month, I'll give I'll give you Jackie and Gabby And don't get me wrong, I love me some some Gabby Williams and Jackie. He's had some huge games. You weigh him out, and you know, a healthy Katelyn Clark, she'd make that deal every day of the week.
Speaker 1: Well she came back and dropped like sixty parts for you, So it seemed like a decent movement.
Speaker 3: And I'm still going to lose, yeah, which is just so crazy to lead.
Speaker 5: Yeah you are? You know you're not? This week? I am.
Speaker 2: He might take his first album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm taking the first.
Speaker 1: Tom Alisha Gray, Kelsey Plum Sat So those those ladies are holding things down for your squad. But Asia Wilson's been your m v P as is expected. What is the plan if Asia's absence drags on due to concussion?
Speaker 2: Brot a call? Are youre going to trade her to James?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 5: More on? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What's the going rate for Asia Wilson?
Speaker 3: Is it Veronica Person and Atlanta Smith?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you just talked her up right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 4: Uh, just send me some doctor report and her concussion.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you want sports Keita this time? That one's even worse than Avlon.
Speaker 4: I'm actually watching the Aces right now without Yeah, they're on, She's not there. Should be okay, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'll be fine. You'll be fine. I think should be fine.
Speaker 1: Do you have any big bold predictions for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: James, Yes, I don't think that the Aces are gonna turn it around and be a real factor. I mean, they'll be a playoff team, but I don't think the Jewel Lloyd for Kelsey Plumb plug and play experiment is working out for them.
Speaker 1: Which I'm surprised by. And maybe it's just gonna too much of a Jewellloyd homer. But I'm a huge fan of hers, and I know Kelsey is a dog and Kelsey can make her own shot and go off. But Jewel also was a player that, like I thought, was just going to keep getting better. And I don't know what the fit issue is or what Maybe it's just time, but it's not looking great.
Speaker 3: It's not looking great. They got blown out by an expansion team, and I don't think you can overstate that that means something is seriously wrong in that locker room or or somewhere. And you know, Becky didn't mince words. And I feel like they're already at a point in the season where you know that they have to they have to figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, you know, the Liberty and the Links look as good as ever, and now that Caitlin's back, look out because fever here they come. So I feel like I don't know how bold it is, but you know, going into this season, the Aces were right there, you know, in the discussion, and I don't know that they're actually going to be in the discussion.
Speaker 1: No, that's I think I agree with you, And my preseason prediction for MVP Wasnafisa Collier, And I feel like it's hard to pick anyone bit asia after a season like last year. But you know how tendency in leagues is like not to keep giving it to the same person even though they deserve it. And I thought fee was due and if the aces aren't really in the conversation, that's going to help.
Speaker 2: Fees costs a.
Speaker 3: Little bit of time. Yeah, the fees fees outrageous as well.
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Her efficiency? Uh, Tom, are you interested in trying to steal away any of my players? Is there anything you want to talk about right now?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 4: Do I wait? So your did you who did you bid on? Who did you bid the most money on? In the auction?
Speaker 2: I'd have to go back and look a lot of the players.
Speaker 1: My teammate and I were like willing to really spend on everybody, like we thought overbid on We kind of we didn't know what we were doing.
Speaker 5: I think you got the steal.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you got the steal of the draft.
Speaker 1: We under got joll Yeah, we got the steal of John Quell for sure, but now she's been out, which has been unfortunate for us. And then we got Collie a Copper not knowing that she was going to get that knee thing.
Speaker 2: So she's finally.
Speaker 1: Back in, but we've had her on the i R the whole time. Someone in the league, and I don't know anyone but you two. Whoever it was, tried to get me to make a trade for Courtney vander Slut the day she got hurt. I think, hoping I wouldn't know, and I'm like, this is my job, bro, oh and that's and that's.
Speaker 2: My team, the Chicago Sky.
Speaker 5: So wow, I.
Speaker 2: Sure hope that. I don't think it was you. Did you have Courtney vander Slut?
Speaker 4: I did, but I wouldn't have tried it a hurt player. I dropped her as soon as she got hurt.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe someone else picked her up and then tried to trade her as if I didn't you Maybe maybe Sky.
Speaker 4: No, no, I think I was offering you some players for Khaliah Copper.
Speaker 5: Is that who you have?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I think it was maybe you sent the trade before she got hurt.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't Yeah, I wouldn't have sent you a trade for the player.
Speaker 5: I've been doing this too long. That's that's uh.
Speaker 1: Also, you know you're an actor, so you know, sure I believe you what you're saying right now, but look at that face.
Speaker 3: Look at that sweetest and honestly.
Speaker 2: A liar, he's too sweet.
Speaker 1: Well, I won't hold it against you, and lucky for you, I literally just sent back a note that was like, are you kidding me? Get out of here, and then deleted it, so I will never know who it was and if it was you, wasn't it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Me because I didn't get any and I didn't.
Speaker 4: Get like that okay response, But no, you know what, I think that Clea Coopper coming back is good for the Suns.
Speaker 5: That's my take. I think they're a strong team for sure.
Speaker 2: You mean you mean the Mercury.
Speaker 5: I mean the Mercury, Sorry that the Suns.
Speaker 1: Are, No, I mean I think it's also I think it's also good for the Suns because talking about literally anything other than sons is good for that ownership or I guess sexual harassment or potentially sleeping with the player, or potentially racist hiring practices. Just getting the Mercury to be top of the news is exactly what that ownership needs.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I want to ask you, James.
Speaker 1: You're directing the show high potential, what help you up to is there another psych movie in the works? Is there anything else you want to play and get us to get into.
Speaker 3: I just got back from directing the two part premiere of High Potential, which I'm guessing will drop maybe September.
Speaker 2: Ish nice, that's season two.
Speaker 3: It'll be season two. It was kind of a surprise like runaway hit for ABC and UH, and I did the finale, which was kind of a big cliffhanger episode. So I was cool. I was lucky. I got to go back and sort of, you know, finish what I started, which you know rarely happens for you know, directing television. So it was It was a lot of fun. They threw a lot of They threw a lot of money at this premiere because it's a hit show now. So I had a lot of days. I had a lot of toys. It was a lot of fun, and UH, fans of the show, I think, UH should be stoked to know that it's not going to drop off a cliff.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm an old head who's still like DVRs things to put them in front of my face to remind me to watch them. So I have the whole first season of that on my DVR, but I only watched the first episode because now all I have time to watch is sports basically, and my buddy Taran Killham was in it.
Speaker 2: Did you get to work with him on any of the ones you directed?
Speaker 3: Many times? He's pretty much in every episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's the best.
Speaker 5: Yeap.
Speaker 3: He plays Caitlin's well, she has two baby daddies. He's the second baby daddy of the two younger children that she has.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Oh, so fun? All Right, I gotta, I gotta, I keep saying this late. They gotta fake a coma and watch that.
Speaker 2: People will leave me alone for a week night.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tarin, by the way, is trying to steal Tom's thunder as another one of the all time sweethearts. Yes, that I've ever come across.
Speaker 5: In this.
Speaker 1: Tom, you were working on this incredible project.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. I've seen clips.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge Reast Weatherspoon fan and I love Hello Sunshine, and I've seen clips of her and the younger l Woods just started coming out. How's it, Ben, tell us something to get excited about for this show?
Speaker 4: El Oh, it's so wonderful and she's so great. Lexi Minitri who at cast as the young al they did this national search, and she is just like lovely and smart and funny and perfect. She's doing this perfect version of Reese's character.
Speaker 5: And still like.
Speaker 4: In these scenes that we're in together where we're also just doing this other newer version of it. It's very funny, much like the original movie. It's similar in tone, and it looks beautiful. The costumes are immaculate, the sets, everything is really.
Speaker 5: Really cool looking. But we're having a blast making it.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be a it's got to be a wild thing to go from being like the little up and coming heart throb in that kind of project to being the dad of the young up and comer. Like I mean, it's inevitable because we get older, but like it just it's always weird and funny to me when I think of about the fact that, like if I was cast now, I would be cast I would be too old to be cast as a mom. But I'm like, I can never be a mom. I'm not mature enough for that, biologically too mature, but you know what i mean, Like, it's just weird to see the people that when I was coming up were like the youngsters are now all playing the parents of the youngsters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, saying to those young actors a lot, I think, I say, like, you know, back in mind day, and they're like.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: When I tried to get into this business, I literally bought a DVD burner and then I had to take a video camera out, send the footage to an editor, put it on a DVD burn DVDs and mail them in the mail to agents to see if they were interested in my hosting reels.
Speaker 2: So YouTube kind of a nice thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, James, Before I let you go, I have one serious question for you, because we talked about this when you were on my podcast, my old podcast, that in twenty twenty you changed your name for your acting career. You would start it out calling yourself James Rode, but you wanted to reclaim and go buy your birth name James Rode Rodriguez. And that process was based on long talks with your dad, who's Mexican American, and a real deep dive into your heritage and really wanting to connect yourself to that history and have it be a part of your career in a way that when you started out, they said, wasn't a good idea?
Speaker 2: I know, you're in LA.
Speaker 1: I know things there suck right now, and the current anti immigrant sentiment from the administration and the current approach to people in LA that are not quote unquote American is deeply upsetting. I wonder how it's affected you personally and how you feel like it affects folks in the business that are welcome when they're playing a character, but perhaps not welcome when they're themselves.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's a really tricky time for all the reasons that you've mentioned, But I also think it's difficult to reconcile for a lot of us that still have family that may either be undocumented or or have been living in this country for forever and ever and ever and maybe never got nationalized, or family that you know is still in the country that you know we originally came from, and whether it's affecting you personally. It's impossible to not put on the lens of what if, like what if that that, because it could easily you know, I know that I have extended family, you know, with spouses that are probably living in this country document and and I can't imagine how terrifying it is because of the way that these raids are being executed, and how little just cause is going into any of it. And at the same time it feels like more so maybe than than in the past when we kind of went through this the first time. There's a little bit of like a wait and see approach in terms of how aggressively, you know, we should use our platforms because we kind of just want to wait and see if.
Speaker 2: It backfrom which is so hard.
Speaker 3: Epic epically and in the way that we hope that it will. So it's like it's gone from like deaf Con you know one, all the way to Deafcon five. But then the approach is also feels it feels very, very different, And this is a conversation that I know is happening amongst a lot of people, not just in our business but just period and just in terms of like how loud to be, you know, do is enough rope all that's required here so that it kind of takes care of itself, because as Tom can attest as well, we in the entertainment business oftentimes have to weigh like how much good we do versus how much bad we do by speaking up, because the backlash is sometimes even bigger than you know, what you might be able to accomplish by doing something because you're oftentimes preaching to a choir, so it's it's wild times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sarah, Yeah, yeah, Just I remember like when that when you came out and talked about your name and your family. It was like a part of these conversations we were having at the end of every article, it was like, and here's a link to this to learn more about this, and here's how you can support this, and here's where you can give to this. And we're not really doing that now the same way we were then, partly because we're so shell shocked from how quickly and terribly it's happening, and also because it happened already, so we're like, oh this again, ship, Like, what do we do this time?
Speaker 2: It's very complicated.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to end this interview on something very.
Speaker 2: DeBie Downer.
Speaker 1: At the end, we just while on that note, congratulations on about to be taking your first l of the season in our league, and I hope it's one of bet.
Speaker 3: Thank you yes on that, James, thank you for joining. Thank you both for joining this league. It's been so fun and it's been so ultra competitive, and uh I hope we can do it for years and years in years and years to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because next year I'm gonna know what the I'm doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm saying that's what I'm saying. This is so fun.
Speaker 4: I really love it, right, two hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tom's learned nothing.
Speaker 2: That's what we've gotten. Tom's learned nothing. Thank you guys both for hopping down this.
Speaker 1: With So I just like love the idea of these like Hollywood bros.
Speaker 2: Just like battling it out over Veronica Burton.
Speaker 3: So that's right.
Speaker 5: I got her love it so much the day.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for the time.
Speaker 1: I'm sure your names will be invoked in future episodes, especially if my team gets better.
Speaker 5: I'm going to hold you to that sounds good. Thanks Sarah.
Speaker 1: We got to take another break when we come back. Buggy eyes and a wagon tongue make pickin a photo tough.
Speaker 2: I'll explain stick.
Speaker 1: Around Welcome Backslaces. Last week we had Howard megdel On to talk about his new book, Becoming Caitlin Clark, and we mentioned how funny it was that the photo on the cover of his book looks just like the photo on the cover of Christine Brennan's upcoming Caitlin Clark book. Well, Howard's editor at Triumph Books, Clarissa Young, has chimed in with an explanation that totally checks out. She forwarded me an email she sent Howard after listening to our episode, writing quote, just finish listening to the Sarah Spain interview and realize I'd never shared any backstory on the cover design. Maybe you'll find it funny I do. I look through every single photo of Caitlin on the photo wires, going back years, trying to find a possible candidate for the cover. First, you rule out anything in the red Fever jerseys because it's not the color people associate with her. A fun fact is that Iowa and the Fever actually use the same shade of yellow. Then, of course it makes the most sense to have her shooting, so you want an action shot. You look at the action shots and you realize that Caitlin physically shows all her trademark intensity and energy in a very consistent way, eyes bugging and tongue wagging out comically to the side. Fine for editorial but not exactly cover material. One way out of that is to choose a photo for shooting a free throw, which I ultimately did. Her face is much calmer, though her laser focus is clear, yet the overall energy of the image is lacking. Hence our close crop where you can connect directly with her eye in the center of the cover. Our eyes love looking at other eyes in design, and we can often make use of that when composing covers. It is my unwavering belief that Christine Brennan's designers went through the exact same frustrating process. Clarissa continues, So that's the inside baseball on the cover. It all comes down to tongue wagging. Steph Cury presents similar issues with mouthguard wagging. My colleagues had to deal with me randomly exclaiming about her facial expressions as my search went deeper.
Speaker 2: And deeper into the archives. End quote.
Speaker 1: We love learning about processes like that, and actually, as a result, when I was watching Caitlin's return on Saturday, I noticed every eyebulge and tongue wag while she was playing. Thanks Clarissa, We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Make sure to submit your votes for WNBA All Start. You can submit one ballot every day between now and June twenty eighth. Each ballot conclude up to ten players, six front court and four guards. We'll link to the voting page in the show notes. Also, don't forget to send us your favorite pride activations. Did a team or a league nail it with their TFOs, tas, donations or social posts. We want to see them. Send them to a good game at wondermediaetwork dot com, or you can always leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy. And don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's real easy watch taking a twenty four hour trip to Minnesota to see our team side Aurora sc rating five out of five goals and a five nothing win review. Andrea Yach, founder of Aurora FC, was the best host ever for my whirlwind trip to the Twin Cities. She introduced me to great folks and set up radio and newspaper hits so I could talk about good game and my book and our slices, diving into ownership with the team, and then the game was awesome. Rain couldn't stop the Aurora from putting a beat down on the Chicago City Dutch Lions five nothing, and because of the rain, I got the perfectly Minnesota moment of hearing Prince's Purple Rain as the skies opened up and the drizzle became a poor no more than a minute after the final whistle. I think they might be contractually obligated to play that song every time it rains. There and the stadium, which is part of the Vikings Complex, is fantastic. Makes for a great game day experience, plus all the fan interactions, player celebrations, sponsor activations. So good Aurora FC is doing it right over there. I really recommend you go check it out if you're nearby. Thanks again, and now it's your turn rate and review. Thanks for listening, y'all. See you tomorrow. Good game, Tom, Good game, James, You Tom James forking over Selena Meyer like that watch beep, y'all. It's worth it.
Speaker 2: I promise one of the greatest shows of all time.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You could find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you Get Your Podcasts production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rutterer. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch and Gianna Palmer. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain