Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. You're listening to Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Masser and Tim Stenovek on Bloomberg Radio. The question a lot of people have now is, Okay, how do websites need to change in the era of AI so that they get attention of the lms that are increasingly being trained on them and also sending traffic to them.
Speaker 2: That's where Webflow comes in. I'm kind of looking forward to this question, this interview and understanding this. The company calls itself a quote AI native website experience platform. Most recently, it raised a one hundred and twenty million dollars Series C round from investors including y Combinator, Excel, and Capital g. Customers include Dropbox, Spotify, DocuSign, and Moretim.
Speaker 1: We're joined by Linda Tong, CEO of Webflow. She joins us from Las Vegas. Linda, good to have you with us on the program. You know, Carol mentioned some of the customers Dropblock, Spotify, docu sign and more. In the era of AI. How does a website need to be different?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, so one, thank you for having me here. I'm so excited to chat with you. About this UH and two, so talking about how does the website need to be different in the air of AI. You now have to serve two audiences. You now have to build the traditional website that a human experiences and you have to build a website now that is AI readable and can be indexible for these new llms that are really driving the future of sarvice?
Speaker 1: Is this the new SEO?
Speaker 3: It is and and a lot of folks are now calling it AEO. So answer engine optimization.
Speaker 1: Well, we had a I wouldn't say SEO was great for you know, it wasn't. It wasn't necessarily all good all the time. There was a lot of garbage. Can I say that garbage out.
Speaker 2: There, especially in search engine optimistic.
Speaker 1: Yesh, sorry search engine optimisation, especially in the early view but in like the early oughts, like the UH, you know, twenty ten, eleven, twelve, these websites that were just built for you know, to I worked, I worked in this a little bit early on. I pull this, You're okay, and I was like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 1: What are we doing? How is it good? How do you make sure that you were not creating slop that companies aren't creating slop that we're actually serving the end user.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. It's you know, I think the slot that you're talking about is with you know, early days of SEO, it was just shoving keywords in there and trying to like change headers so that you would index well and get to the top of a search result. What's different now with AEO is actually it's founded on authority and the richness of your content. So it's actually thely it's sort of rejecting the slop, all the sort of marketing like very like fluffy keywords, and instead it's saying the content on your site, the structure of your site has to be designed to be authoritative, and you have to have detailed information that ultimately will get index and researched and surface back into an answer if you go you know search, you know, ask a question to any of these engines. And so I actually think you're going to see this evolution and how you design a site to be more authoritative and to provide meaningful value to users in order to rank or surface as a result through these different llms.
Speaker 2: So how do you see this all kind of rolling out these changes as we increasingly are asking llms our chatbots to you know, figure out stuff for us.
Speaker 3: How does this roll out, Well, we're already seeing a lot of it. One of the biggest changes that we've seen at web Flow is in just the first six months of this year. I guess now for eleven months, but as this year has been evolving, we've seen a skyrocketing of the amount of traffic that's coming in in terms of top of funnel from these llms. So we think of it as traffic that's coming from these agents versus traditional search engine or like organic traffic. And that's gone anywhere from you know, fifteen to twenty five percent of someone's top of funnel to now as much as like fifty percent of your funnel is coming from these these engines. And you know what this represents in terms of growth is over one hundred and twenty five percent growth in just the first six months of this year. So the change is well underway. What is really interesting about the patterns are it's changing the funnel itself. You know, with SEO, it was about discovery, it was about getting someone to click through and get to your website. With AEO, it's about building context. So when a user comes in through this answer Engine, they're coming in with higher intent and higher willingness to ultimately engage and interact and convert on your site.
Speaker 1: The incentive in SEO was to get people to go to your website. You get that traffic. If you're a news site, you know, then you can sell that against ads. What's the what is the motivation? What is the what is what is the thing that makes it? So? With Answer Engine Optimization with AEO, companies want their websites to be featured. What's the motivation?
Speaker 3: Ultimately it's still to come into your website, but ultimately it's the convert. Oftentimes you want to get someone of your website to learn about you and then or you know, enter their email or buy something. And now with AEO, they might come in instead of having to spend time on your site to figure out who you are and what you do, they're coming in with so much context that they got from this answer engine that they might go straight to your buy button or straight to your subscribe button. So it's a it's a really it's a much more transactional, high context interaction and you're still going through the website, but it just it shrinks your funnel. The way it used to be, Linda.
Speaker 2: Though, you know one thing I'm curious though with AEO, I mean, does a user lose some control like as you said with SEO, like we had some control about kind of filtering through where did we want to go right that kind of feeling of discovery and figuring it out? And then are we losing some control when AI is doing that for us and there is something on our part that we've got to kind of teach it what we want. And then I also still wonder if that is still limiting then ultimately in that.
Speaker 3: Search, absolutely it's a it's actually limiting for both the user and for the brand that is trying to interact with the user. You know, as a user, you're how well you ask an answer engine. You know, whatever question and or quer you have, the quality of your prompt directly impacts the quality of the response that you get. And so there is a bit of a learning process that I'm seeing going on in terms of how people search or even have queries or ask questions in this new world that will directly impact, you know, how they get the results that they're looking for.
Speaker 2: Linda, So we are we going to ultimately see ads in this world and just got about thirty second twenty five seconds.
Speaker 3: I suspect we will. I suspect we will start to see ads pop up. This is, you know, a massive think of SEO as a trillion dollar industry. I can't imagine a world where AEO does not take a percentage of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, Hey, good stuff. I'll look forward to already our next conversation. Let's know how things are going. Linda Tongue, executive officer of Webflow, joining us from San Francisco, m