Speaker 1: Two on the move, going deep speed ways past Peas from the Baptist Health Studio.
Speaker 2: This inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's got my have hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: What is up, dollph fans And welcome to the Drive Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: And on today's show, I went over the entire crop of free agents courtesy of spot rack and just went positioned by position and listed ten of my favorite players who are scheduled to hit free agency next month. And that exclude our own guys. We're going to talk about that list content wars. Here a little bit and a fun mock twenty twenty four lineup I put together for you guys from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is the Drive Time Podcast. Ye daf off the top real quick.
Speaker 1: So the cap is estimated to make it up around two hundred and fifty million dollars this year per a report from NBC Sports. And the original projection was in the two forty two ballpark. So while yes, every team would get that eight million dollar bump if that report became reality, but for us that eight million could go a long way towards keeping our own guys. It could be potentially three different players, three different starters that you could sign or retain if you space out the contracts, because all the eight million dollars per player is not going to be all on that first year, right, You could definitely stretch your budget with that extra eight a little bit more. And when you have as much success as we have had acquiring premier talent, every little bit helps, right, and you eventually have to pay the piper on that premiere talent, because remember this is the year for big Rob for Christian, for Andrew Van Ginkel, a former first second, fifth round draft pick that had been drafted and developed into absolute studs in this program. But also other guys we've acquired along the way, like Deshaun Elliott, a very solid first year here in Miami. Isaiah Win same story prior to his season ending injury. Connor Williams, a bigger free agent acquisition who played up to that deal and I would say exceeded his value in that deal, is now set to hit free agency once again. Speaking of the draft, going back that way, Austin Jackson already done a two extension actually would free up money this year, most likely because those big quarterback deals tend to get money pushed down the back end of that contract before you rework it or re extend it once again. Brandon Jones and ray Kwon Davis both going to probably sign decent veteran deals at least, you know, for a few million bucks on the open market, i'd imagine. I mean, how about that twenty twenty draft class. Six players from the first three rounds. I think it's safe to say five of them will be starters on second contracts, either here in Miami or somewhere else.
Speaker 3: But then the next year, like Waddle, Phillips and Holland.
Speaker 1: My point is when you draft that well, you eventually have to pay, and that extra eight million is literally a year worth of a quality player or a couple of players. You can kick the money down the road on and bring in two or three quality players. That could be extra money for Christian Wilkins. That could be year one entirely of Tua's new extension. That could be a full year of Javon Holland, that could be one of Robert Hunt's years. You get what I'm saying here, It's a big deal, so hopefully that does become a reality. And there's a little bit of other news in here before we get to the actual free agent primer, so to speak. Here it's that Ronnie Bradford, per reports, will be a senior special teams assistant. He played dB in the NFL, was the coordinator last year on defense at Montana. And let me tell you guys that don't know about the Northwest football world, the Montana Grizz are an FCS powerhouse and their fans take football very, very seriously, so he got some football education up there. He's been an assistant in the NFL for quite a while. He was on the Broncos staff during McDaniel's first year in the NFL back in five. So we have some changes there to special teams and the defensive side of the football heading into the new year. We also added one in Parks Frasier, who was the Panther's pass game coordinator last year after working with the Colts prior to that. And I saw a pretty cool story on him about his time out of college working with the Colts, and it kind of reminds me of me a little bit. Football is the only thing he cared about, woke up at five point thirty to get to the office, left at midnight, just grinded, indicated himself with the game of football.
Speaker 3: To achieve his dreams. Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The article is called what It's Like to be Frank Reich's right hand man on the Indie Star. Just type it into Google and you'll find it. All right, So, before we get into free agency here content wars. I talked about it on the show on Monday, but I wanted to go more into it like this, and the more I think about it, like, look, so first off, you shouldn't treat all of these podcasts or you know, air quote content creators as like professionals because most of them aren't. And I'm not throwing shade here, I'm just being real about ninety nine percent of the people that do this don't make real money off it.
Speaker 3: It's a hobby.
Speaker 1: I mean, they might be making enough to have a nice red robin date night with the misses once a year, you know, like fifty bucks. So when you raise this whole, I can't believe we're giving him a platform idea. I'm with you on that, but that's not really a platform. We understand that do we get that? And bragging about your YouTube subscribers, Guys, it doesn't mean anything. Podcast downloads don't mean anything. Subscribers are not watchers. Listen through rate return rate. There are several metrics that advertisers look at, and I promise you subscribers is not one they hand over checks based upon. It might help them, but they have to find out that you're actually getting your ads to the people they want to sell you. And the guy that was bragging about his following, I'm not gonna name names here. He's a freaking aggregator.
Speaker 3: Man. Watch his channel one time. He aggregates what other people do. That's not a creator. That's a freaking thief man.
Speaker 1: It's what the people on Twitter that all of a sudden do per shifter, like yeah, just hit the retweet button. I don't know, like Twitter blue, like the Twitter model. Fuck freaking sucks, man. I hate it so much and look something for everybody, right, I don't get a lot of the content. I haven't watched daytime debate shows since the pandemic, and that just spoke to how bored I was. I wasn't into him then I had nothing to do all day. I don't take in every Dolphins podcast. I don't take in any Dolphins podcasts, but listen to one.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be Kyle Crabs.
Speaker 1: I think there's another one you can learn from two that The Three Arts per Carry is a good educational Dolphins podcast as well.
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple more that are fun shows.
Speaker 1: A great shows, perfect Phil for examples, a great podcast. Jake and Josh have a fun podcast. And I apologize to I'm out there. I haven't heard them all, Like Showtime, for instance, has a fun Twitter spaces.
Speaker 3: I've heard you guys. Tell me about a couple of podcasts.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't think of the name of it right now, But there are plenty of Dolphins podcasts out there for everybody. But again, if your whole shtick, and this is going back to you know, the content warriors idea and the YouTube subscriber guy, if your whole stick was that Skyler Thompson was the best quarterback on the roster his entire rookie year, behind a guy who finished first and passer rating and then led the league in passing this year. Like the jig is up, You've taken a path and you have to stay in that lane. It's a grift, right, we all understand that. Don't talk about like, you know, freaking what is it?
Speaker 3: Candy man?
Speaker 1: Don't say the candy man's name and you won't find the candy man. Plus, you know, and I go back to the Twitter platform for this. I blame Elon's lumpy ass for this. Twitter just seems to have made it so much worse with how it's evolved, promoting this stuff over real actual content, Like you're feeding into these this negative world that we don't want to live in, incentivizing people to be morons online like cool model, bro, I'm sure eighty percent of the Twitter world that's basically bots just spamming every tweet you have with their check out this and my bio check out. Oh a perfect way to pick games, Like Oh it sucks man, I miss what Twitter used to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't like it used to be. But also just ignore it. That's really all there is to it.
Speaker 1: There's so much good Dolphins content out there, why bother with that nonsense? And then to address the stuff that ties back to me personally here and this was what you can't tell It makes me a little bit mad, makes me a little bit annoyed is that I'm a propaganda machine, right, I mean, you don't listen to the show if you think that. I don't say this to like try to prove myself. But it's a slap in the face man when you just say, oh, look at his title. He can't provide honest analysis. And it goes back to you know, I don't want to name names, but someone that is I'm talking about here mentioned me as a non reliable source because of my job, and he used to work for the team.
Speaker 3: You know who it is.
Speaker 1: Now, Like, come on, man, And first off, all of you listening to this notes bs because well, you listen to the podcast this year, you listen to where I think the shortcomings were all year long.
Speaker 3: But also, this is my job.
Speaker 1: I'm paid to watch coaching clinics. I'm paid to learn how to study film and then to study that film and then provide content off of it. I started doing this for the love of the game, man, and then I started to get paid for it. And I promise you ninety nine percent of these content creators don't care to study the game at that level because it's boring unless you love doing it. So when that person discredits me, or someone that watches that content discredits me because.
Speaker 3: They tell the truth.
Speaker 1: Look, you can't tell the truth if you don't understand what the hell you're talking about. Like how many times are we gonna let that man I'm changing gears now spout off some wildly incorrect nonsense and just be like, oh, yeah, he's the truth teller. He tells you how it is, the things that you don't want to hear, he'll tell you that, cool man, that's a separate deal. And again, like I mean to that point, back to you know, platforming grifters, Like can we stop talking out both sides of our mouth? Because that's exactly what happens here. Like I thought we were rid of this in twenty twenty two, but it lasted for just one season. This particular individual warned us for months about cap opelypse or whatever the hell you say it is, how however you say it, And then today that same person said the Dolphins owner can't help him sell from making the big free agent splash, so it's going to happen again.
Speaker 3: Like dude, what what.
Speaker 1: You just say things to say them, because that's not there's not a plane of existence in this world where both of those two things can be true to just nonchalantly throw out there that idea out there, and that people that I have no idea why they haven't caught onto it yet, they lap it up and they eat it up and they spread it like wildfire, and it becomes this narrative that I have to now spend time on my show addressing because I'm gonna get these questions about why with the Dolphins spend big and freege, like, just please stop spreading the opinions of people who clearly don't put the work in or have any idea what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Golly, you know. And back to the idea of doing this for the love of the game. These guys don't do that. Man, It's boring to do unless you love it.
Speaker 1: And so when that person discredits me, or someone that watches the content discredits me because they want to tell the truth, it just drives me nuts because you're hiding your ignorance in this whole I tell the truth idea. And I used to write and delete tweets that I cannot send because of my job and send them my friends like, hey, look at my funny I made. And I'll never ever ever forget a ben Volan tweet? Who is a study t D. Cunningham right like he's he actually paved his way of the journalism degree and worked in the field before he realized outrage and grifting was the selling point. He had a tweet once, and in fact it was right after we'd just beaten Buffalo to get to three and zero in twenty twenty two, you know, one week after four seventy and six, and the tweet was this the irony of Jalen Hurts being a better pro quarterback than mac Jones and Tua. And my response was, if I ever become so irrelevant in this space that the only way to generate engagement is to tweet shit talk about one player every day, You guys have to promise me you'll put me out to pasture. Don't believe me if I tell you I wasn't bitten. I was.
Speaker 3: I will never do that, man. That's the point of this, all the stuff.
Speaker 1: But really, to me, it's talking out both sides your mouth, making stuff up that you clearly demonstrate you don't have an idea what you're talking about. And then it comes down to people like myself or Kyle or ck to disprove the nonsense that you just threw out there because you didn't want to study up on the actual job itself.
Speaker 3: Oh it's tiring, boss.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and take our first break right there, come back and do my top ten free agents going into late February. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. Let's go ahead and jump into the meat of this episode here. And it's been this way for decades. But is it sort of weird to anybody else that we have this kind of mix of draft free agent events intertwined throughout this portion of the calendar. I suppose maybe there's no other way to do it given the structure of the NFL off season, But like, I will be all in on draft content next week at the Combine, but then we turn right back into free agency and.
Speaker 3: It kind of goes back and forth like that for quite a while.
Speaker 1: I suppose I only noticed it as a content creator and someone whose work follows that calendar. And the reason for that prelude is that we will be flipping back to combine draft content by the very next episode. But I've taken some time last week or so firing up game pass getting a look at some of the Vets who caught my eye on the upcoming free agency list, players I think could help us in twenty twenty four and beyond. Now. I did use potential compensation and the financial implications of these players when selecting them. I will, not, however, discuss that in the rundown of these players, simply because that's just like the fourth branch of the if this, then that tree, and that to me seems like a poor use of time. So instead, I just found the players that I think are hashtag good football players and that I think you could find a specific role for them on the team, and those that coincide with some of the things I thought we came up short on last year. Does that make sense trying to fix some of the holes here. First, there's a panic across twitterbo the cap situation, right, And I remind you that Chris Greer said this back in January. I mean, at the end of the day, we have good players here, everyone will have a market. We're not really right now concerned about where we'll be in March salary cap wise.
Speaker 3: And then he would go on and talk about how.
Speaker 1: Brandon Shore and Max and Politano have made creativity and flexibility in their contracts, which creates that flexibility for how you get in and out of deals after they happen. So that's contract structure, baby, that's the flexibility of Chris Greer is speaking to. And if it's not a one off, it's every off season. And quite frankly, the entire NFL has sort of adopted more of a short term thinking philosophy that kind of goes along with this, Like, I know a lot of you guys are my age and probably remember how it was even five years ago where it'd be upteen billion dollars in a long term commitment altogether, and that's where you're gonna finish your career. We don't really get those deals anymore, like you'll get three year deals at most, it seems like for the most part when it comes to the free agent market. And then to couple that, frequently you see this idea of cost of certain needs versus available funds. And the best part of the Dolphins roster is that tuas the quarterback, Tyreek and Waddle or receivers Armstead and Austin Earth, tackles JP and Chubb or Edges and Jalen Ramsey's a cornerback. That's eight of our give or take, top fifteen players right in that range. Some are excluded, like Javon Holland. I say the combo of Zach and Christian if ninety four is back, because that's getting there.
Speaker 3: Do you guys know where I'm going? And do you know what those positions are?
Speaker 1: That's right, they're the most expensive as far as what costs the most average salary per player per position goes like this, quarterback, edge, receiver, literally three spots we have like a very good quarterback, dominant edges and dominant receivers. Right cornerback we have probably the best in the game in Jaylen Ramsey. Offensive tackle, we have two of those guys if one doesn't retire, I mean, depending on what happens with some vets there, you could argue we don't have any true needs at those spots.
Speaker 3: And interior defensive line is.
Speaker 1: Next, by the way, And where do we rank in these positions in terms of our cost commitments? So right now, quarterback seventeenth, I tell you what two is better than seventeenth? Quarterback in the NFL? Receiver eighth. What if I told you the Chargers, Seahawks, Bucks, Raiders, Broncos all pay more for the receivers than the Miami Dolphins do. Tackles were sixth, but O line on balance is twenty sixth. We're also due to repay three interior starts. That kind of tracks there at the edge eighth most money committed there and at corner first, but that's some Byron Jones left over X will have from left over there and Ramsey obviously paid very highly. But the other half of the position positional premium running backs the twelfth most money tight ends twenty first, Interior d line eleventh see look guy his extension. Wilkins on the fifth year option was a big money maker this year. Off ball linebacker just fifteenth and safety thirty first. And that's where your needs are right Well, we maybe need a corner when X is gone and you reduce that figure big time. But then that's why you draft Campsmith and have him step into that spot and take over. We really need Campsmith this year. You might have a need a safety I like DeShawn for that role. You can wipe away a lot of those interior line issues with re signing your own guys. You probably need an off ball linebacker, provided you move on from fifty five.
Speaker 3: Is that tendall? Is it a draft pick?
Speaker 1: Is it a bargain free agent? Probably interior defensive line. If you move off Christian that will go another direction, but hopefully we do not. And then tight end you probably need it.
Speaker 3: You don't need a.
Speaker 1: Running back, Maybe you need additional edge. I'd run it back even with the injuries, and I'm talking about forty three. He give you a Van Ginkle back in the building, provided he agrees to another one year deal here coming off injury. So with all that in mind, with all those needs and potential money moving around and everything that could go into this, I put together a list of ten guys I love their tape and potential fit from their perspective of a current list of available free agents as of February twenty first, and that list starts with Kenny Moore, a cornerback in Indianapolis, a five foot nine, one hundred and ninety pounds slot with a Pro Bowl to his name. It should be more than that. Over seven years. He's twenty nine in August. He has seventeen career picks in one hundred and three games. He has eighty nine starts and he has two picks sixes just this last year. Why is Kenny Moore a top the list? Travis Well, I've always been a huge fan of his game, and sometimes you might worry about age getting close to thirty for a corner, but twenty twenty three was the best year of Kenny Moore's career. It's pretty rare that he missed his time. He missed one game last year in five and twenty twenty two, but didn't miss a game in the two years prior. He's just shy of four thousand snaps played those last two years. And while he is a primary slot, he's also play laid on the perimeter for a Colts team that really had some cornerback depth issues the last couple of years. He's in the slot better than seventy percent of the time. He averages right around two pass rush attempts per game, which is effective as hell. He has sack production pressure impacting plays which also shows up. And his run game production where he made thirty four stops last year. Remember last season when all I could talk about was Cater Kohu's twenty two stops in the run screen game thirty four for Kenny Moore this year, I was third most among slot cornerbacks. He also allowed five hundred and ninety four yards on five hundred and ninety four coverage snaps. We know that one is a great figure there, especially inside in the slot. His career cover numbers are outstanding. I don't usually like passer rating allowed because like the main job of the cornerback is to not be targeted, but also over a seven year career, you begin to get a sample size. Right, his passer rating allows ninety three point four in his career. That's on five hundred and fifty targets. And in fact, his yards allowed per coverage snap were the lowest of his career this last year, so much for a decline right. In fact, corners this year had the Among corners, he had the fifth most tackles and second and most among slots. He also had eight TFLs, which was the most among a slot cornerback this year. He's a premiere slot. He's shifty, he's physical, he has long speed. He loves to hit and take on blocks. He loves to tell you about it as well. I just can't say enough Aboutkennymore. He's my favorite player. I think on the entire free agent list in terms of what the Dolphins could need and use in this defense.
Speaker 3: Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: I don't view the running back position as a need, but even still, it's usually an area you can address somewhere in the draft or even low end to the free agent market, especially when you have what we have in the backfield. But the reason I list Derrick Henry here is for the solution I believe he could provide to one of the biggest things defenses did just slow us down late in the year. If you play too high against Dereck Henry, the ball goes there, and then you have to tackle the most physically imposing running back in the history of the NFL with a light box who also happens to run four to four on the back end. And if you don't get it fitted right and you miss your run fit and you have missed assignments, you now open up this fun Pandora's box of a two hundred and fifty pound man who can get to top speed in three or four steps and a top speed that is four to four. And you unleash that on your two safeties who are giving up fifty pounds of this man to try to tackle a moving semi truck from a stand still position, and we've seen a lot of highlights that have become NFL lore as a result of that, usually Derek Henry stiff farming some cornerback into oblivion. So this is more about a fit in terms of here's an issue, here's a one step solved to that issue. Henry can still do it, man, Like I know we all watched that finale last year and hope the Jags win that game against the Titans and turn the Sunday night football game into a lose and out situation for the Bills. But they couldn't stop Derek Henry in that game and what was considered a down year for him, he had eleven hundred and sixty seven yards on two hundred and eighty carries. He also scored twelve touchdowns, but that's common for him. He has not scored fewer than double digit touchdowns since twenty seventeen, twelve, sixteen, seventeen, ten, and thirteen and twelve. He'll be thirty this year. I'm sure he'll have a mark. But man, what a fit he would be if he doesn't have a job in like training camp. I'd be like, hey, hey, Derek, what you got going on this fall man?
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 1: Gardner Johnson's next, and it's it's pretty much Kenny Moore replica here, and it's whatever you want him to be, to be perfectly honest. Terms of his position, think Javon Holland. He can be one of the top slot guys. He can play too high, he can rush the quarterback, he can buzz from disguise, cover one, cover three looks. He's got the instincts, natural athletic ability, and perhaps the most bravado of anybody in the National Football League. He signed a one year deal with the Lions last year and missed most of the season, played just three games, was back for the playoffs. Actually picked off Baker Mayfield in that Divisional round game, but that's just what he does. Twelve career picks, a couple of forced fumbles, thirty nine plays in the football, twenty tackles for loss, fourteen QB hits, four sacks, He just finds the football. Seventeen hundred of his thirty three hundred career snaps are in the slot. He played a lot more free safety with the Lions and Eagles the last two years than he did with the Saints the previous couple years. Prior to that, he played eleven snaw in the post between twenty and twenty one, but then played four hundred and forty three two years ago and one fifty three this year with Detroit. So if you want to be versatile and hide who's going where with that Hall and Ramsey look, the way Baltimore did with Hamilton and Humphrey and Stevens and Malet, then there's another guy that gets you a closer to achieving that ideal look. And that guy is Chauncey Gardner Johnson. He's going to battle. He's feisty as hell. He might get a couple of flags on himself for taunting and being too much in your face, but he's a hitter and a playmaker who can really if he gets a couple of wins early in a game, he can take a guy like a Tyreek Kill for instance, Like he can take a guy that out of the game because he can get in their heads so well. He is a unique prep player in prospect that I've always loved, going back to his Florida days. Speaking of prospects, I love. Let's do one more here and then go ahead and take our last break of the show. Tight End Noah Fant. I think you're starting to see the first round talent of him come out the last couple of years. A middle of the field presence with ty end tight end speed who can contribute as a blocker. He's going into his age twenty sixth season, and that's a pretty try and true breakout age for some tight ends. I mean, look at the specimen aspect of it that you're buying in on was literally ninety eight percent tile among tight end and vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle, three cone, forty yard dash, twenty and ten yard splits, and that showed up on Seahawks tape all year long. He's six foot four, two hundred and fifty pounds. He's an f tight end at a move tight end, more pass catcher than anything else. He's caught thirty two. Last year he caught thirty two four fourteen and didn't have a touchdown. I think there's enormous untapped potential there though, because he only missed two games in a five year career. The targets were way down last year, just forty three, but when he was a ninety target player in Denver and with Seattle over ten yards per catch with sixty two and sixty eight grabs. I mean he averaged four touchdowns per year prior to this year and was consistently a six hundred yard receiver who blocks. Because you go back over his tape at Iowa or Denver or in Seattle, there's wide zone runs where he's the leading charge around the corner and making these Julian Hill type of blocks. I think this is a fit for your split flow action, your jet and sheet motion. And the more I study him, the more I think that I might have him too low here. And I also think calling him an f tight end might not be fair. He might just be a tight end because he looks like the part in terms of blocking. And I think I've just convinced myself the move here is to sign Fan and then draft Corley in the second round.
Speaker 3: You can the team pretty good that way. Let's go ahead and take a break right there.
Speaker 1: Come back on the other side, finish up the final free agents here, and I'll give you a mock twenty twenty four lineup. That's next Draft Time podcast to your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 3: We got what three players in right there.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and finish up the list here on the third segment of the Wednesday edition of the Draft Time podcast, and start with the receiver Kendrick Bourne six foot one, two hundred and five pounds, exceptional track record of giving his absolute all in the blocking game, making tough catches, being dependable in terms of not missing games, and always being where he's supposed to be. I mean to start your career with literally the first year of Shanahan in San Francisco, then to get signed by McDaniel's Patriots offense in twenty twenty one, a system that is famous for incredibly for being incredibly tough on wide receivers to pick up and learn and master, and then to go on to have a fifty five eight hundred and five numbers in his first season. That's pretty damn good. Now he is coming off a torn ACL he's suffered against US in October.
Speaker 3: But this is one of those rare.
Speaker 1: Situations where I feel like you almost have no guesswork, which is rarely the case in free agency. It's a good to me supplemental option to give you a fallback if you don't get the type of progress you hope for from Eric Azuokama, you hope he has in year number three. Kendrick Bourne a really good low end option, I think, in my opinion, here for the Dolphins, Mike Unwinnu for the Patriots, here's your offensive line meet back to back Patriots. Look, we talked about it as good as the line was at times this year, the interior three and playing against power in general, struggled to stay healthy and to hold up against bigger defensive lines. And on one who is a pretty natural fit at guard who can also play tackle and do it well. I'd actually be surprised if he gets out of New England because three hundred and fifty pound guys that move like him don't grow on trees. But also he could probably garner tackle money, and if you go big guard money, do you just go to rob hum with that? Either way, But I wanted to put him on here because he's the best player on the crop in my opinion, and his year to year pass block efficiency grades are ninety seven point three, ninety eight point seven, ninety eight point one, and ninety eight point one. Again, he's a maller in the run game, a very very good player, Mike Unwinning, Curtis Samuels next. I was big on him in twenty twenty one as a free agent, we got Will Fuller instead, whoops when he was up for that new deal. I know every time we discussed a wide receiver, sometimes just in general, but when we discuss one with similar traits of ten and seventeen, there's going to be pushback about the overkill at the position. But in my mind, adding another one of those skill sets just accentuates what each of them do really well, a little bit more. Another guy they have to keep eyes on to take eyes off of your other guys. Another guy that if he's single covered, can flip the game. Weapons, weapons, weapons man. It's hard to believe he'll be just twenty eight in August. It feels like he's been playing the NFL for twelve years now. He's caught sixty two for six thirteen and four this year. He's been a nine one hundred target guy in that range really each of the last five years, sans twenty twenty one when he missed twelve games, and then this year of course, the Commander's offense was awful. But think jet sweeps, think slot speed, think vertical threat, think backfield alignments. He caught five of eight deep targets this year, which doesn't meet the threshold for qualifiers, but it would have been the highest catch ray on deep balls if it did. He played fifteen snaps in the backfield, four hundred and four on the slot and one fifty out wide. He caught forty of fifty seven targets from the slot for three twenty six and three touchdowns. So definitely a position of need there for Miami and something he could fill and hopefully a more bargain level free agent contract. Isaiah Simmons is next kind of like Chauncey Gardner Johnson. You want matchup pieces, right, guys that are flexible to play different roles from multiple positions. I mean, that's what made Isaiah Simmons a top ten draft pick once upon time. They never quite seemed to figure out what they wanted him to be in Arizona. So he's dealt to the Giants for cheap and wink. Martin del finds some roles for him while learning a new defense and route to a year where he matched his pressure high, he came close and stops career high, and he had the best cover numbers of his career. In fact, he was PFF's highest graded coverage linebacker. And if you want to talk about a player profile, I mean ninetieth percentile literally everything. At six foot three, two hundred and forty pounds, running like a wide receiver. Gosh, he was fun at Clemson. A nice guy that could be a potential one year bargain type of deal there for the Dolphins. Julian Blackman has safety from Indianapolis, another college crush of mine. Blackman could fully unlock Javon Holland because he can be one of the top post safeties in the game with a good instinct for him to come downhill and flow and get an extra hat in the box in the fit, one of the surest tackles. When he decides to go, he sees it and he goes. You'll see him recognize pre snap motion that kind of takes a route out of his responsibility, out of his task. He'll see the run game action off that and just goes.
Speaker 3: Man he hits it.
Speaker 1: I think those are the kind of players that help you maximize other playmakers on your defense. He's six foot he's six feet tall well, two hundred and two pounds, has seven career picks twelve tackles for loss. He had been a most exclusively a free safety until this year when they gave him nearly five hundred snaps down in the box. The previous high was seventy, and he made like thirty stops and has like the lowest mistackle rate of his career by seven point four percent. It's a hell of a player and a guy that I like quite a lot. And we finished with the list here top ten with Grover Stewart. How come nine of the ten guys my list here were some on some team with a variation of blue in their color. Weird either way. Grover Stewart is the definition of a nas kicker. He actually gets flagged sometimes for playing through the echo of the whistle. There's someone Dominican su in terms of his temperament there, and I can bet you know kind of like I can beat everybody up out here and they all know it. He's six foot four, three hundred and fifteen pounds. He's a three tech with one tech shade ability as well, who probably doesn't have the same end and five tech chops that Christian or zach Szeeler has, like you probably don't kick him out to play end probably ever, but he collects stops for a living twenty four this year despite missing six games. He had thirty eight the year prior on just three hundred and eighty six rundown snaps. He played seven hundred and eighty one total snaps, a career high that year. So he's not giving you a Christian snap, but he's close. I guess he's an incredible building block inside because he almost never gets washed out, holds the point against double teams. He can get movement displacement as a rusher, which is a key for a defense that wants to run games, and green dog and delay blits you.
Speaker 3: He's just a force. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Ten guys that have caught my eye in the free agent planning portion of the calendar. On Friday, I'll do some prospects and this will kind of, I guess, give it away here on the podcast, But I wanted to have a mock lineup for you guys here just for the fun of it, because it's the off season. If I gave you this roster in September, how would you feel Tua at quarterback, Raheem and a chant running back, Tyreek and Wallle your top two receivers. Malachai Corley in the second round from Western Kentucky as your third receiver, Noah fant As your tight end who you signed in free agency. Those are your five skill position guys on the field, in addition to your quarterback. Your offensive line in this scenario is Tron Armstead. My left guard spot is where I kind of went cheap. I signed Isaiah Winn on a one year cheaper deal, and that has to be like even cheaper than was this year because he just can't count the guy to play sixteen seventeen games, and he's pair with Liam Eikenberg. I know you guys aren't gonna like that, but when Liam a left guard, I swear it's the one spot. I have a kind of a hole here on the roster.
Speaker 3: So Tua Heem and h.
Speaker 1: Chan, Tyreek, Waddle, Corley, Phant, Armstead, Win Slash, Liam Powers. Johnson's my first round pick there at center, Robert Hunt I re signed him at right guard, and Austin Jackson is the right tackle. On defense, my front goes Wilkins, Sealer, Phillips, and Chubb. I brought back gink on a cheap one year deal after the injury. Well, not cheap, but cheap comparative to what you maybe could have gotten without being injured. Long and Simmons are my linebackers. A free agent ad in Isaiah Simmons, and then my secondary is the same Ramsey, I got rid of x Cam Smith at the other perimeter qrnerback. My slot is Cater Kohu, but I also drafted Shaw Smith way to compete with him out of Washington State. And then Holland and Elliott safety. That's my time today. That is the podcast. You all please be sure to subscribe to the show on Apple wherever get your podcast from. If somebody tells you I'm a propaganda machine who can't be honest, tell him otherwise. Also follow me on social at Linkedal NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins or the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for medi Availabilities, Dolphins Today, and so much more. Last butt not least Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, Fin's up, Carolina Camera and Daddy, He's coming home.