Speaker 1: Morning, everybody in stee j Envy Cholamagne to God.
Speaker 2: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Of course, Jess Hilarius is here yesterday, and we got a special guest in the building, dn.
Speaker 2: Co Hello, Hello, Hello, how's everybody doing? Everybody's black and Holly Favor. Yes, yes, yes, I'm happy to see you.
Speaker 3: I can't I'm just I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, definitely, man, thanks for having me. Yeah, absolutely a lot to talk about. You got average Joe, aren't you.
Speaker 4: You're in a new color purple too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, absolutely, yeah yeah, new color purple, Average Joe.
Speaker 1: We just talked about that yesterday. We were talking about they just released the trailer and what's your thoughts on the movie, because we were like, color Purple? Is that a movie that.
Speaker 2: You do over hard to remake? Classics? Man? So the director Blizz I don't know he did. Beyonces. Remember when she was doing like the Lion King where she was Liken Jay. They was like.
Speaker 4: Live action line King.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but remember this video she had. It was like a twenty minute video where she was like and cars and on the beach running and Jay had these like suits and stuff whatever. It was like very beautifully. Yeah, yeah, all of that. Yeah, yeah, he directed all of that, and so for him to take that vision then apply it to this movie, it's like bananas. Plus it's a different spin on it. It's a whole different spin on a color purple. So it's gonna be way different than than the other one. But still in it's on, right, you know, holding up to what it is. But I ain't really big on remakes neither like that. But but this one, y'all, it's crazy because it's a different perspective now.
Speaker 4: That I was saying the twenty twenty three you can't do color purple.
Speaker 2: You have to have to be woken. Yeah, yeah, so much. Yeah. Yeah, it's a whole different, whole different look on it, a whole different spin on it.
Speaker 1: But you know, some of the remakes, like I didn't like Coming to America too, right, I just the first one was is classic.
Speaker 2: I don't think you touched that. Yeah, I didn't like.
Speaker 1: There was another remake that they did, but people told me white Man can't Jump. I didn't want to go see that, but people telling me it's really really good, so I guess it can if they come from a different perspective. A New way House Party was another one I didn't like.
Speaker 2: I thought I didn't. I don't really like that one.
Speaker 1: But when they do it from a different perspective or shot, well, I don't think there's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I play a Fonso, so I play Seely's father.
Speaker 4: That's when I take you can't have you can't have I can't remember the girl, you can't have her, but you can have.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, yeah, I played him. They kept that line in there. No, no, it's it's different. Yeah, but you know you still you still get it, you know, it's just still he's still that dude got yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I still call it ugly and woke away just because of this new era. I mean, yo, yeah I do. I do hate it definitely. That's why I don't understand why people who don't like that kind of stuff, Like why do you even come to the shows? You're messing it up for the people that really pay to come see and hear bullshit, you know what I mean? Like, why would you come in there with your beliefs and feelings about something that I thought of And you ain't in my world, You ain't in my tax bracket, you ain't around the people I'm around. You ain't not about my culture, but you come over here and try to tell me what I need to be saying and doing. It don't even make sense. So yeah, I hate that that we have to kind of conform to that. And I heard somebody say that in the interview that we don't if and it's not a problem, And it is a problem, I think honestly. You got Lenny, Bruce and Richard and all these people stood up for us to be able to say whatever we want to say, and now we can't. It's like it's crazy to take away from the whole thing. It's like, now you go to comedy shows and they tell you what they think you want to hear in order to be safe, you know what I mean. But there's certain comics that are still out on the front line that get loose, you know, like Dave just just don't give a fuck about nothing, you know. So you've got great comics that's still out here fighting for that that that voice that we all have and that people want to hear, except for certain people that don't.
Speaker 4: So, and your circumstance is unique because you you definitely edgy on stage, but then you got all the corporate shit going on. Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah yeah I can't Yeah, I can't say exactly what I want to say.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what that that's my whole life, sitting back trying to figure out another way. That's what. That's all I do. I'd be like, how can I say this another way and still be able to say it?
Speaker 1: But you know, you to face an old Spice bro crazy Like that's why if you really think about it, it's really wild.
Speaker 2: It's likely the.
Speaker 4: Two people Dan Cole, the dude who used to ride the horseback.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah, it's crazy right yeah. I couldn't even even when they came to me about it, and.
Speaker 1: I was just like, wow, they can't even say, hey, we want you to do this old Spice commercially, the fake what was your thought?
Speaker 2: So at first they came to me and they was like, I guess they'd seen me do all these different kind of like quirky like characters like on Anti Tribeca and Conan and Blackish, and I was doing all these like trippy characters, and I guess they was like, yo, it made sense where it was like yo, you come in and Yo we can all we can rock and I was like yeah, I was like, yeah, I can do that. So they flew me to Portugal, man, and I shot all of this basically how old spikes get down, you know what I mean, like really wild in the woods and beard grow and throwing trees and you know, I did all of that, and then I came back to the US and there's like didn't want to use none all of that and then use none of it. And then they came to me about something else. And then me and I, me and this other guy were just sitting I mean this other guy he was que he was writing this whole new premise. And then when they came to me about it, and I was like, man, that's cool, and so we did it, and man it took off, you know, just me and my girl Gap. Yeah, yeah, we just we just got it.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just I went and grabbed Gab and I was like, yeah, they're thinking about this, this thing where relationships a couple and trying to take your old spice, and you know, they was like, yeah, let's do it this man, we did it.
Speaker 3: And because it's a storyline commercial, I was supposed to be in one of them. Yeah, yeah, man, yeah, I don't know. They picked like.
Speaker 2: You thought about like family, and it was the person that know you're.
Speaker 3: Here, supposed to tell me get your black ass hands on something. And again because somebody else.
Speaker 2: Never would have said that podcast.
Speaker 3: I cut the TV every time I see that that's supposed to be me.
Speaker 2: I'm serious.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to be as.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to almost be something.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know.
Speaker 6: That really ain't gonna tell you.
Speaker 3: You know you were at the top. I want to know, are you doctor because I saw you just you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Like if somebody on the plane high out they need a doctor, they ass out, but it ain't Jack the doctor. But yeah, yeah, I just got that, just got yeah. Yeah, that's crazy. Calander Smith College, which is now about university. Yeah, thanks man. How did you for all the work that you did and everything? Yeah yeah absolutely, and uh paid for his Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got an endowment at South Carolina State University, Okay, made an honorary doctor, yeah it is. And I get a commitment speech.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah I did too. It was wild. I gave mine. They really didn't give two funks. And what I was saying, I thought I was dropping some gyms. They was sitting down there on their phone and ship. I was like, yeah, was out there like this. You might have been taken. I don't think so do you keep going when you see that? Man? It was I was bombing, like for real, like I was. I was giving it and then it'd be like a couple of chuckles, a couple of coughs, and then I just keep going, like just going on to the next topic or whatever. But yeah, yeah, it wasn't. I was thinking. I was doing like stand up. You thinking in front of an audience like that, you're about to be ripping.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 2: They was out there like, nah, I want to see my baby cross and get her degree. And that's what I'm here for. That's standing up, muscled on kicking.
Speaker 4: When you see people like ignoring you because you know you you get at somebody for that.
Speaker 2: Nah, Like nah, I'm I'm quick to leave. I leave, leave, I leave like a motherfucker. I leave. Man. I done left some shows. Yeah, I try it and I keep going. If it ain't working, I just know that I ain't for them, and I go, I'm Trevor good Night. I leave a whole nother name. I'm Shun piece out Nashville Sunky.
Speaker 4: You know, you gotta be one of the most jack comedian is too, because sometimes I'll come across a funny meme.
Speaker 2: I can just be words and I'll.
Speaker 4: Repost it and then everybody be like that's on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I you know you try to be different and just think outside the box all the time and just try to make a career out of that, and just try to always go left and you know, think outside the box, and you know, just keep it as as as real as possible. You know, like when I'm on stage and I read off my paper, like a lot of those jokes I written and used, but I always do one joke that that isn't that I've never done before because I wanted not to work because it's funny, not being funny in a sense. I think I made a craft out of that. Just you ever watch somebody bomb? I love it? Yeah, you love it? Don't you tell me the time?
Speaker 4: Have you see me laughing hard somebody bombing somebody?
Speaker 2: I'm really engaged? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like that too, like hilarious with that. I want to go see him one time. I know. This is his interview in not Mine but I want to go see him in LA and that's his first time I seen him in person. And he does that like he will tell the joke and if and it's so funny because he wants it not to work, but it does. And it's like, yo, stop trying to not be funny, like you're just funny. Like and then he said, he said, when you really throw one work and it was like a couple of chuckles and he was like, no, if it don't work, don't don't force to laugh, Like, no, you don't have to force to laugh. That was so funny just seeing him doing that and then seeing it done so long ago when I first started watching comedy. It's crazy he still does it and it's still like the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I appreciate it. This is you know, it's it's because people tend to forget it's about laughing. You think how you laugh, it's about you laughing, you know what I mean. I'm not here to have you laugh a particular way. It's like you're laughing if you laugh at anything I do, it's funny, but I think it's funny not being funny. So I make sure I do a joke that does not work, and so people would laugh at it. And it's funny to me to hear people laugh at it, and then when they do laugh at it, it's just like, I really know that I got that audience. But when they don't laugh, what did you.
Speaker 4: First realize you was funny? Like I'm talking about forget comedy. I'm talking about back in the.
Speaker 2: Day I never did. It was a friend of mine's, dude named Gwill Like. We was on some ill shit in Chicago, and you know, I never even thought comedy, but he used to always listen to me just have different outtakes on things and different views, and he would just always be like, you should do comedy. You should do comedy. I used to be like goddamny. And one day he bet me to go on stage, and I went on and never look back because I start really because I always thought comics was like, you know, slipping on bananas and pied to the face that motherfuckers. And you know, then I realized that there's comedians. Then after I did it, I started doing research and I started seeing like George Garland and then Degenerous and all these other great comics that were like, you know, like I mean obviously I knew about Red Fox and you know, moms maybe and all them or whatever. But I started seeing comedians that wasn't throwing piles in their faces, who was just standing there talking, And I was like, oh, you could be funny like that and not move. I was like yeah, because that was my whole demeanor anyway. Like I wasn't like no people people come up to me this day I went to high school with.
Speaker 5: They was like, boy, he was silly as hell in high school. I'd be like, I ain't even speak to you in high school, Like I wasn't. I wasn't even silly in school. I used to just be quiet. I was always a thinker of being the only child.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So you're a writer as well. How was the writing strike affecting you? Especially with you being on all these shows as well?
Speaker 2: And just you can't do nothing. I'm shooting this uh. I was doing this thing up in Toronto and the script was already in so we're working on it now, shooting this drama. And I had a question and there was nobody what.
Speaker 1: Happened in that case?
Speaker 2: Could you change yourself?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: You just just go however you need to go about it. You know, but hopefully you do it right, you know, but it ain't nobody talk to all. The writer's gone. Everybody's gone, and I can't even shows that I had on deck to uh, you know, like about to sail and about to do like they all been halted and I can't do nothing. Just chill and stand up, you know, that's it. Just go out, hit the road or whatever. Because everybody chilling in LA right now. If you come to LA right now is mad traffic, yo, Like you can't go nowhere because everybody's off work and everybody just kicking it now, like all the writers and ship they everybody just partying, traveling, and but yeah, the traffic is terrible right now because everybody ain't nobody at work.
Speaker 4: How do you feel like AI is going to impact the future of Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Yo? I went to AI and I said, hey, just to like mess around, I said, write a script about lady bugs. And that shit started off like in the backyard of this one house over on the corner in Maryland, the trees are going. They wrote it. It was writing an entire script about ladybugs. And that's all you say, That's all I said to it. Wrote the entire script. I wrote the breakdown first thing in the morning exit inserts like just wrote that, myfucking dude. I was like, Yo, that's crazy, but yeah, that's gonna, that's gonna that's gonna really mess up everything right now. I heard that they're doing this now. But they're calling people and if you pick up the phone, you go hello kids, No, they get your voice, take your voice, and then reduplicate it, yeah, and then use it to call other people and say like they you need money and all that other stuff.
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, they was doing that with kids too, Like they'll call your phone and I guess they get your kids voice from social media and you can be like help help.
Speaker 2: Mommy, help help. They ask you for ransom. Yeah, yeah, exactly. That's what they doing with that ship.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: It's crazy as fuck right now, right so it's like it's like, yeah, that a is going it's gonna tear everything up on top of everybody being like kind of dumb as hell. Right now. You see that, you see that I posted this video about these kids they cannot read clocks. Did you see that? Like a round clock number? They do not know how to read clocks. But then you start thinking about it. Am I older? They like dumb, like a little bit, but it's a little but they are so they don't have clocks. How old were they? They was like teenagers. Oh that's stupid, but they man, one man, they honestly was on that like this. I ain't never even seen one of those around clock. Think about it.
Speaker 1: We don't really see him see digital clocks round clock even. I take this step further. I was talking to somebody that was late the other day and he was like, my phone died, and what you don't think about? You know, everything is connected to electricity back in the day. I don't know, but my dad used to have a wind up clock so no matter what.
Speaker 2: It would always go off.
Speaker 1: He never would have to worry about being late electricity went out or forget to save it. So he was like, these kids know nothing about that. So if the phone does they they don't.
Speaker 2: They have no idea. They was asking them like they was asking them. They was on that. They was on there like yeah, it's nine seventy six, Like dude, they was trying to figure out the time. The dude was like holding the clock and he was like, what time is this? There's like nine seventy six.
Speaker 3: This is in America.
Speaker 2: In America, y'all. But it had me thinking, like, man, we owe as hell where nobody knows a lot of reason.
Speaker 3: Just things get out of you know, you just get out of touch with things. I mean because honestly, just clocks half clocks all over my house. But I don't tell.
Speaker 4: Time on them. They risk to the time when they were flood them.
Speaker 3: Out because it's nice. I'm gonna be like, I'm never it's my watch face not playing three o'clock. We just got away from you think about it.
Speaker 1: People don't necessarily buy watches for time now as an accessory.
Speaker 2: What time is the first thing you do?
Speaker 1: You can pull out your phone, Dude, I got a nice watch on.
Speaker 2: It's so wow. You gotta be attention to that ship, like straight up, like it be little ship like that that you be like whoa the world? Change it? Like right now I'm looking at your face you over there like damn na face changed. Didn't get some problems. Didn't touch my nose.
Speaker 1: But even navigation thinks about navigation. Right now I'm driving around, I can know, I can know where my house is. I still put in a navigation. Now, let's say that the Ways app don't work, a Google Maps don't work, be lost.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, where am I gonna?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Gone, it ain't no way to get that unless you, like, like a lot of old people, they still be carrying.
Speaker 3: Maps, map quest and stuff like that. I know people that still well they're older obviously, but people that still print off directions. But I think you were a lot on it because I do the same thing. We just rely on it because we know we got it. If you ever just try to get home, you would get there.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not talking about home, but like one places like let's say you gotta go from Baltimore here, right, and you know you you got to take ninety five to the turnpike through the tunnel. Now you ain't got no navigation. You're gonna be like, damn, which where am I going?
Speaker 2: In?
Speaker 3: Right? I'm gonna I'm gonna eventually get home because I know what I got to take to get here to get there, and freed signs and all of that. But I would, yeah, I would literally lose my mind just because this is easier so that sometimes we use it. We don't even need it.
Speaker 4: That's crazy to hear y'all. I've seen you justin I know you did.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 4: Comedians have like photographic memori because you'll have to remember jokes and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that, but I don't know where the hell I'm going GV. I got this old chick cosh Yeah on Star God.
Speaker 3: The button at the top is like make I love No.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, you got average joke coming out to it. Yeah, yeah, I as Joe. Man. It's this was thank you so much. It was, man, this is a labor of love. It's like a darkly comedic drama takes place in Pittsburgh. Dude, he his father dies and these mob dudes is looking for him and the Joe. He don't know what's going on, but his father left some money trying to figure out what's going on, and he had to make these decisions between like, you know, family and money. But yeah, it's a it's a it's a super like it's funny, but it's it's dark as darkest hair. Like we was leaving set miserable just from being like a comic. You gotta you know you you can be good to do comedy, but every day just to leave murdering motherfuckers and Lyon and seaful and heartache and losing people and every day you leave.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That was the first time time I started realizing I understand how like people kind of break when they when they do movies and stuff. That was the very first time I used to be like, he ain't that deep into characters. But nah, Like if you keep doing that and you have to constantly be that person, do that like to like that's that ship wear on you. I used to always think, like, like with Park, they always say Park became like, yeah, he became Bishop from Juice or whatever. But at first I never really kind of like believe that ship. But yeah, And I saw Michael B. Jordan's talk about how he had to go to rehab after Noah. He said, I think it was Fruitville or it was no I think it was Wakanda. Yeah, I don't know, but I remember him saying that he had to go to like rehab, thought it was Wakanda. It might but a lot of a lot of a lot of a lot of actors got to do that anyway. That's how that show was. Man, we was down there, we were shooting in the lineup. Boy, it was like we was doing like sixteen hours sometimes twenty hours shooting that shipping. But but we got a nice piece of work, and man, it's gonna be something if y'all like Murder and Mayhem. Absolutely, yeah, yeah, you're gonna you're gonna love. This is your lead.
Speaker 6: Crazy the first time Crazy she's looking at you talk about this amazing because even as comics, we we can still we can play any part, we can do anything.
Speaker 3: You always think of Robin Williams, you know, the comics.
Speaker 2: Especially going from comedy to Drive and Jim.
Speaker 3: Carrey and you know, even like what you just say, like how you sixteen hours? You got a status person and you got it. It's like you used to being, you know, but no, it's different. But the fact that you.
Speaker 2: Can do it. Yeah, but it's like I remember when I when they when when they when I took the job, because usually I'm I'm a type of cat. I go play my part and I go get my drop top and we rolling, you know what I mean, Like that's I did on Blackets for eight years. I did my part and that was out. I was gone. Why when I I signed on to do this and seeing like sixty paid scripts and I'm in like ninety percent of it. I'm looking like, like I got a real job. I'm like, I can't leave. They like, man, the first one here, last to leave. You like what it was an adjustment because I still had other things going on and other businesses and other projects and trying to write that and do that and trying to do this. I had to learn to I had to cut all that out, just focus dead on this and get it done. But yeah, being you gotta watch what you pray for. You gotta know how to pray. You know, a lot of people don't know how to pray. And you know, that was one of the things that I learned. You know, a person to ask, man, Lord, can I have a man? Can I have a woman? And they'll get you one and they don't have a job, I won't have. I forgot to ask for a job with that person. Yeah, so you just got you gotta now pray man. But no, it was it was an amazing, amazing thing that shifted my whole mind and mind frame as far as acting and uh, you know, just uh you know, taking on those those responsibilities when it.
Speaker 4: Comes to comedy and drama, right, they always say it's a thin line, that's where the whole tears of a clown thing come from a comic.
Speaker 2: You don't lean into trauma. Yeah, absolutely, that's that's exactly what I did, you know what I mean. But it wasn't like that at first, like like, uh, another another turning point. When we was doing the Hearder They Fall, I was like I walked on set and was like, Yeah, what's going on, Hey, what's going on on? Funny and comedian? Comedian? I remember Jonathan Age's and all them, they was just all sitting back and del Roy Lindo, they was all just quiet, just chilling. I was like, Hey, what's going on? And beyond Hey, so we're gonna knock this out and we're gonna They was just like And then when we werehearsed, they was just like so like and like it was so real, and so it just was like, man, I remember Jonathan told me, he was like, man, you shouldn't acting is the worst title for this job. This is what you should not be doing. You should not be acting. You should become you should become that person instead of acting. And so it made me be like, oh really, So then I went back changed my whole demean up. Man just from that conversation and came back and was like, all right, we gotta we gotta just become this person. And I remember that all the time, just becoming you know, So isn't that dangerous thoughing?
Speaker 4: You gotta unpack that personally disconnect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta. You gotta go home by yourself. Don't go hang out and kick it and all that, you know, cause you you you don't know when you turn in that off. That's if you get deep enough. A lot of people don't really get like that because they don't go deep enough. But if you go deep enough, you really gotta go home by yourself, and you got to like just chill and like just just just have a moment to like just bring it down or whatever, you know. So you know, I had I had to. I had to kind of learn that, you know, because I still was trying to kick it and go do stand up. I'll go set and then go do stand up. And I can see it in my stand up. I was up there gloomy as fuck, dude, Like, yeah, so if you ever see a lady and she it'd be like this just staring at me and ship I just be like sad, as hell. I'm saying good night everybody, but yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta gotta cut it off.
Speaker 4: What about when you're not in the mind state to joke all work, like like like like did you give yourself time to grieve after your mother passed?
Speaker 2: So I am like still dealing with that, Like that's like that's like really fucking with me still, And I'm trying because I was the only child, you know, no brother, no father. Yeah no, thank you man. And I'm still like That's why I try to stay as busy as possible because anytime I like have downtime or anything good happened like that, shit fuck with me because I'd be wishing she was here, that she can like that she could be here and be a part of that. And people out there that that's going through the state, they know what I'm talking about, Like anything good happen to you. You just it's like a bitter sweet moment, you know, like even with the color purple coming out, I'm not like like it in it like that, but I just wish my mama would have been there to see that. And you know, it's things like that, even average Joe being the lead, it's like I wish my mama was here so she could like like see that and feel that, because there's stuff we talked about, even getting my doctorate for her to know that her son was now like like like doctor, like having a degree like that. It's just that would have like center, you know what I mean. So anytime these situations happen, it's like it's nice, but I also just get in too, like like and people don't and people always be like you need to go talk to somebody and something, and it's like, yeah, you can do that, but this just happened to me. Yeah, you know what I mean. It's like, I don't know nobody who has something like this can just happen to you and you go talk to somebody and you all good. If anybody's like that, they weird to me, Like you should be able to agree, like you said, and you should be able to have these moments and you don't rush people in these situations, you know, just just be there for them, you know. And I had a lot of people leave me, Like a lot of people leave me because I wasn't who they wanted me to be when I was good, I know, but everybody left and it was weird. And people out there that's dealing with death, they know what I'm talking about. Like, people leave you because you change. And now I'm not the person out out that that I was when they met me. And I understand that. But if you're a good friend and you really there, you're gonna you're gonna understand the severity of this, and you're gonna understand that, you know, being the only child and not having nobody else and no mother, no father, nothing like that, and that that's gonna wail on you. You you basically in the world alone, you know what I mean. You really don't have nobody else, Like I mean, I got family, cousins and stuff like that. But me, it's it's hard. Man. I go through it every day and I try to try to be better. And you know, I remember this lady said this to me one day and I was this guy. I was at this car lot and I was sitting in the car and I was crying, like looking at cars and shit like because it's just come whenever, you know, And I'm sitting there looking at the car like, man, it's beautiful. I'm crying, and sales guy came over. He was like, you all right, and I'm like yeah, and I told him I lost my mom. He just started crying, crying and he was hugging me, and I'm just like, man like. He was like he lost his mom like ten years ago and it still affect him.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He was like he's a whole. He said, you were around fifty years old, and I'm like yeah, and he was like, welcome to the club. And I was like, wonder what he was saying. He was like, yeah, anybody around fifty, it's a club of people who lose their parents. Because our parents is like seventy at eighties years old. And he was like, and when you hit about fifty, that's around the age that everybody's mother's fathers, everybody started going away. And he was like and so it's that club. And he was like, welcome to fifty. And I was just like he was like, welcome to the club. And I was just like damn. And I started thinking about it, and it's like that, and so I try to advocate. Tell everybody, man, if you got your mother, your father, any of that, man, take pictures of them, video of them, talk to them. Even if you don't get along with them, just be around them, man, because you just never know because my mom dies suddenly was nothing wrong with just I came from audition calling her and they was like, she didn't make it, and thinking that she was going to an appointment. I was like an appointment. I was like, Nah, she ain't make it, and I'm like make what? You could not understand that shit? Like, what do you mean she make it? He told me that shit? I just like what. I was like, I just talked to her. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Yoh?
Speaker 2: That's it was like wow. I didn't even want to, Like even with my Netflix special, I didn't even want to do that. That wasn't even something I was planning to do. But I got cornered into shooting that special on that day, you know, like the day that my mom died, September tenth, and I was looking for a spot. Usually when you tour, if you're about to shoot a special, you won't perform in that city. So I was gonna do Philly. Philly was the city I was gonna shoot my special win, but we were taking too long with the deal and I ended up doing Philly. Right now, I had nowhere else to go and I wanted to shoot. I thought about New York. But I just was like, you got to be from New York in order to do New York, you know what I mean, Like it's New York is just different, you know, It's like you got to be from there. But when it came around to me shooting special Netflix is like, you got shooting September, and I was like, make sure it's at the inner September because I know I couldn't shoot around A year later from the day my mom passed. They came back not even knowing they was like this, yeah, we got the venue. I'm like, man, let's do it. I was like what day They was like September tenth, and I was like, I said nah. I was like, I was like, I ain't gonna do it. Then about days later, my mom was like, you know what, don't even mourn like that, like celebrate her. Shoot on that day. Dedicate this to her and celebrate her. Because when people passed, man, you have to like make them live through you. Of course, even if it's a password, you know what I mean, if you get it, if you set a password and you put their name in every day, you that's that's every day, stay with you every day, you know what I mean, and so I was like, didn't word no, I did not no, but y'all and I just was like, man, I'm gonna shoot it, and I shot it like on that day. But I also was trying to show people and teach people that with comedians and entertain us, even y'all, people don't understand we got problems and when we perform and you never know what that comic is going through. So that was a whole deal with my Netflix special. It was that I wanted to perform without telling nobody what was going on, and then at the end of the special let them know I was up here rocking with y'all. You're not even knowing what I was going through. I just cried right before I walked out on stage. I was backstage wiping my eyes, took a deep breath, and walked out there, performed the whole special with them not even knowing that this was like the one year anniversary of my mom's death, and I wanted tend to see that us performers, we had to put aside whatever we're going through, even with y'all. Y'all, man, y'all got to come here and work every day every day, and you and the more family got more problems you've got and so if you got six kids, you got six sets of goddamn problems, then you still got to come here work. And so I wanted that special to show that, Hey, while y'all see me up here performing whatever and without even saying nothing at the end of it, I want you to know this is what I was going through this entire time that I was filming this shooting and doing it in Brooklyn. Was like, they showed so much love, but I was so scared. I ain't gonna lie because I ain't know what Brooklyn I was gonna get. I ain't know if it's gonna be biggie Brooklyn, Uh, gentrified Brooklyn or righteous Brooklyn. Righteous Brooklyn. If I said bitch, they was.
Speaker 7: Like brother on like the material ain't working, Like man, I ain't mean it like that, brother, Like you know, explain what you meant.
Speaker 2: Make the word b I TC means something else. Yeah, yeah, it was too much to whatever. But collectively everybody came out and rocked. But uh, yeah, that whole experience or something else. And like I said, I'm still dealing with anybody out there dealing with grief. Man, don't be afraid. I know you're a man, or you're a woman, you're a boss, and all this other shit. Man, let that shit out. Grieve. Learn how to grieve because it ain't gonna stop. Just learn how to do it, control it and keep it moving and make sure that they live through you.
Speaker 4: You said something powerful that I would like for you to talk about, just because that's something.
Speaker 2: I struggle with.
Speaker 4: How do you show up as a friend when somebody has somebody that they lose that's close to them, like a parent or significant other, Like what would you have wanted your friends to do in that moment.
Speaker 2: So if I'm now different and we ain't buying bottles and kicking it, and I ain't in the club, and I'm now I'm in the club with you, but but I'm daydreaming and I'm zoned out and I ain't helping you pull all the women in the club and all that shit or whatever. If I'm now I'm boring to you, I'm not what you was. If you're a friend, you're gonna be like, man, let's get out this club, Let's go ahead, let's go chill, let's go get you together, Let's go chill. If you're any way different. Even if I'm snappy, even if I'm not understanding, if I don't hear you correctly at any of that, understand that I wasn't normally like this. So therefore you have to know that there's some kind of issue going on with me, right, So therefore you have to channel that and understand that and get to know who I am now or who I'm about to be, because now I'm embarking on a new normal. And that's what everybody has to do. It out the embark on a new normal. Truthfid absolutely, And once a true friend understand that, yo, he's he's embarking on the new normal. And I have to be here to learn that new normal in order to be there, to be there for this, you know what I mean. So once a person the stands that, and they'll be there, they won't leave you, and they gonna be there and they gonna and they're gonna help you out and they not gonna leave because all of a sudden you don't understand them and all of that, and it's like it's it's it's so whack or whatever. And I lost not only I and not only I lose my mother I lost like other family members and friends, and so it was very and I'm still in that kind of lonely spot right now, you know, but it's a lot better because I'm working and I got all these other projects coming out and about the popping bubble and all that, and so it's taking up my mind framing, you know, me working on a whole new hour, the tour with and all of that. So you know, I'm not feeling as left out and lonely no more, because you know, I got a lot going on. But as a friend, that's what a friend does. A friend understands that you changed, and they gonna change with you, and they're gonna be there for you, and they gonna find out how are you now, find out what makes you happy? Now? What makes you sad? Now, you know, and they're gonna be that for you, you know what I mean. But falling back and it's a selfish move, a lot of people go because they go, oh, you're not making me feel comfortable around you or and now it's about them, yeah and not you, you know what I mean. So yeah, it's it's a it's a trip that situation. And I'm still learning, you know what I mean and uh and the friends that I do have. Man, we've been rocking and you know, we having a ball and we're gonna keep it moving. We appreciate you, brother, and we love you brother. I love y'all man, and I thank y'all man for this platform. I hate that it got serious.
Speaker 4: Like always give the best conversations, funny and it's serious.
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I appreciate y'all man, and y'all keep doing. Y'all doing y'all very I just want to say, y'all, y'all very powerful, more powerful than what y'all even probably thinking though, and I want you all to understand that and keep doing good with the positions.
Speaker 1: Average Joe promised June twenty fifth on B E T Plus, and thank.
Speaker 2: You brother for joining us. Thank you so much man. Y'all check it out. Dion Cole, It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning,