Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news. This here's the Daily Joke with your host My gold Costa.
Speaker 1: We welcome to the Daily Show. I'm Michael Kaka. You've gotten so much to talk about. Tonight, Time Magazine reveals the Person of the Year. We reveal America's hottest Christmas movie, and drones turn out to be annoying. Who saw that coming. Let's get into the headlines. Let's kick things off with Time Magazine. Every December they reveal their Person of the Year so that people can remember that time you scene still exists. Print media is dying, you know, not like cable. We're doing great. So this morning, the editor of Time Magazine came on TV to reveal who this year's person was. Even though the moment you see the editor's face, you know right away it's Donald Trump and here to make the announcement.
Speaker 3: Times editor in Chief Sam Jacobs.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited to be here. Please, please don't be mad when it's the person we had to pick. Who was it going to be the person of the year, who, for better or for worse, had the most influence on the news in twenty twenty four is Donald Trump?
Speaker 3: Okay, there it is Donald Trump, twenty twenty four Person of the Year.
Speaker 1: That's the most unenthusiastic reveal I've ever seen. That's how I act when my sister gives me scented lotion for Christmas. Okay, there it is pomegranate dream. Thank you. Now, obviously, Donald Trump is the person of the Year at this point, He's basically America's main character, so him winning is not surprising. What was surprising were the finalists.
Speaker 3: These were the five finalists here, in no particular order, Vice President Kamala Harris, the Princess of Wales, Elon musk Is Raelei, Prime Minister Benjamin Yahoo, and President elect Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, no disrespect, but Kate Middleton was a finalist over Joe Biden. Joe Biden is the President of the United States. I mean, sure, Kate Middleton is the leader of Hamas, but still it should be the sitting president as a finalist. But I guess, once again, time has not been kind to Joe Biden. But also, why did they put Kamala Harris on the list? I thought trying to pay her some respect, but all they did was just make her lose to Donald Trump again. Kamala, we just entered you in a golf tournament at ma A Lago. H guess you lost again? Longest tie contest. Lost again. Anyway, Donald Trump was happy to win, and he accepted his award with a speech at the New York Stock Exchange. Although, because he's the People's President, he made sure to highlight the very real stories of real Americans who are really suffering.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 5: I tell the story about a woman who, an old woman, an old woman no money, went to a grocery store, had three apples.
Speaker 1: She put him down on the counter.
Speaker 3: And she looked and she saw the price, and she said, would you excuse me?
Speaker 1: And she walked one of the apples back to the refrigerator and came back to pay for the two apples. And she left with two apples.
Speaker 5: And the woman at the counter said, that was so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, never in America should an old woman be forced to return an apple to the refrigerator at the grocery store where they always keep the apples. Now that poor old woman can't afford her three apple lunch. She could only buy two apples and if she is anything like the old women I see at my grocery store and her carton of cigarettes and scratch off tickets. But by the way, that old woman's name, Granny Smith, really makes you think, really makes you think, seriously, seriously. That was the worst story I've ever heard. That's like when my daughter is refusing to go to bed and she asked me to make up a story. Oh yeah, once there was an old woman. She tried to buy three apples, then she ended up buying two. Okay, sweetie, Dad has to go watch Showgun good night. Let's move on to another story that's been gathering steam for a few days. In the big question that's on everybody's.
Speaker 6: Mind, what is going on in New Jersey?
Speaker 4: That beats me.
Speaker 1: I don't know, beats me, buddy, But what's actually going on is pretty bizarre.
Speaker 7: People in New Jersey are concerned and demanding information after a wave of mysterious drone sightings.
Speaker 1: Since last month. Dozens of drones mysteriously hovering in the skies at night.
Speaker 6: A New Jersey legislator posting on x that the drones appear much larger than typical hobby drones. In some cases, up to six feet. They often fly with their lights off, making them harder to detect.
Speaker 1: That's right, UFOs over New Jersey, or as they call them in New Jersey, unidentifif And I'm Jack. So now mysterious drones in the sky are scary and they raise a lot of questions like could they shoot me? You know? And after the year this has been could they please shoot me? And now the people of New Jersey are pointing their phones at the sky. That is not an airplane.
Speaker 8: It looks like a space shift, not a plane.
Speaker 1: That is a drone in the airspace.
Speaker 5: Definitely not planes.
Speaker 1: And there were too many of them.
Speaker 5: There's no way planes could fly that close together.
Speaker 8: You can hear that one that is definitely a plane.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, guys, New Jerseys on the case in this drone. This drone looks a lot like my finger. Now, there might be a simple explanation for all this, but this is America, and we pride ourselves on doing our own research. So que the X files. What's going on in America? Why doesn't our government tell us what's going.
Speaker 4: On in these skies?
Speaker 9: The other night there was right here over a Picatinny there was a drone just hanging out. I put my drone up in the air and went towards it. I had full battery life. Not three minutes into the flight, I lost control of the drone.
Speaker 8: One family claims they followed a drone in their car and while it hovered above them, the clock in their car changed times.
Speaker 4: Then they say the clock went back to normal after they drove off.
Speaker 1: You know, Americans aren't allowed to look up anymore, and this all sounds like the world's most boring Steven Spielberg movie. No, No, I wasn't abducted, but my clock was slightly off for one minute. People are so dramatic. But I'm sure the New Jersey cops can clear all this up.
Speaker 10: New Jersey State Police and the state's Office of Homeland Security say that the state has no information about who is behind the drones and why they're flying them.
Speaker 8: Authorities in Toms River, New Jersey launching their own drone offensive for a closer look.
Speaker 1: I think I know what's going on here. We spotted a drone in the sky, so we're going to launch a drone to find out what. Holy shit, now there's two drones up there. We should put another drone holy shit, there's three drones up there. But you know what, forget the local police. If we want answers, we should ask New Jersey elected officials. They were elected for a reason and they can provide us with sane, informed explanation.
Speaker 11: New Jersey Representative Jeff Van Drew on cable News claiming he's been privy to top secret information about the drones.
Speaker 7: From very high sources, very qualified sources, very responsible sources. I'm going to tell you the real deal. Iran launched a mothership probably about a month ago that contains these drones. That mothership is off I'm gonna tell you the deal. It's off the east coast of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Look, I know some of you are like, hey, can you stop making fun of New Jersey. You elected this guy. No, holy shit, there's an Iranian mothership launching drones off the East coast. You know what, probably to gather intelligence on New Jersey's rich tapestry of shopping malls. This is huge.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: This is a national emergency, and a congressman said it, so it's definitely true.
Speaker 6: The Pentagon wines striking down claims that Iran is behind those drones.
Speaker 5: There is no Iranian ship off the coast of the United States, and there's no.
Speaker 10: So called mothership launching drones towards the United States.
Speaker 1: No mothership, sir, youah telling me is that Iran doesn't have Independence Day technology? Can I still blame Iran for all my other problems because that was going to be my defense and all those reckless driving tickets? But this is progress actually because clearly the federal government knows what these things are, and all we got to do is ask them. Tony Gonzalez, the Congressman, I had this question for the assistant FBI director. Watch you're telling me we don't know what the hell these drones are in New Jersey? Are Is that co right? That's right? Wait a minute. The federal government, despite the bazillion dollars it spends every year on surveillance, doesn't know what's going on here. I texted the word vacation once to my wife three weeks ago, and Google still serving me ads for airbnbs. But there's an invasion of sky robots right now above our heads, and the FBI is like, ooh ooh. You know this tells me two things. One, we need to devote way more resources to our oppressive surveillance state. And two there's some really good deals on Airbnbs and Slovenia, So pack your bags. To find out the truth about these drones, we go Live to New Jersey with Troy Iwada. Troy, Troy, please tell me you learn something out in New Jersey.
Speaker 8: Sure, I came to New Jersey and learned something that's hilarious. Michael, back to you.
Speaker 1: No, no, Troy, we sent you out there to find out about the drones. It's important tell us about the drones.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, I asked some questions, and I realized I shouldn't have been asking questions. So let's just mind our own business and move on. Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Costa, No, no, no, I don't accept that people are freaking out about the drones. And if you know something about it, you should tell us. You should tell right, everybody, tell us, tell us, tell us, tell us us.
Speaker 11: Shut up.
Speaker 8: It's Santa. Okay, there, Santa clauses drones. Santa no great. Now, look he's pulling them away and on Christmas is canceled. You're not going to get your precious wicked dolls anymore. I hope you're happy. I hope you're happy.
Speaker 1: Now you know if you bitch that that's impossible. Santa Claus has a magic sleigh. He comes down the chimney.
Speaker 8: Santa's getting old. You try shimming down a chimney with hypertension and a hernia. All right, So now he uses drones to get gifts across the world and to spy on people's bedrooms to watch them cheat on their spouses.
Speaker 1: Oh so he can put them on his naughty list.
Speaker 8: Sure, yeah, yeah, it's not a power and control thing.
Speaker 1: But oh man, I had no idea. Now I'm embarrassed. We were thinking it was the Iranians gathering information.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, although Santa is selling some of that information to Iranians.
Speaker 4: Yes, but.
Speaker 1: Why would Santa do that?
Speaker 8: Santa has bills to pay, Michael, Okay, do you think he can cover his rent with the two chips of hoy.
Speaker 4: Cookies you put out for him.
Speaker 8: It's super generous, Like most of us. Santa sells a few state secrets to Iran and they get along because they're both Muslim.
Speaker 1: Well, Santa's not Muslim.
Speaker 8: He has a long beard and he works on Christmas Costa, or at.
Speaker 1: Least he did.
Speaker 8: But now that the secret's out, it's all canceled.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm sorry, Troy. I feel like I feel like I ruined Christmas.
Speaker 4: No, you don't have to say that.
Speaker 8: Remember, Michael, this is New Jersey. No one deserves to have joy here and that is the true meaning of Christmas.
Speaker 1: You know what, You're right, Troy Awata Everybody. When we come back, check this year's honest holiday movies. It don't go long. Welcome back to the Daily Show. It's December, the time of year when TV Networks dropped dozens of holiday movies where people fall in love thanks to the power of Christmas. But even though this year might not have left people feeling very romantic, that hasn't stopped our holiday movie from trying.
Speaker 11: She was a big city career goal in the big city with the career, and she was sparkling with holiday spirit.
Speaker 1: This year stuck.
Speaker 10: I just can't wait to go home and hide from the world.
Speaker 11: But to fully embrace this Christmas season, she had to leave the cold, heartless city and head to her charming, small hometown.
Speaker 4: So what do you want to do, kiddo?
Speaker 1: I want to move to Canada. Dad.
Speaker 10: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 5: After all, tis the season to fall in love.
Speaker 1: Heck me, Christine, God, you're back in small Townsville. Would you want to go ice getting with me later today?
Speaker 10: No, I'm not doing this whole thing, not this year.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 11: Sometimes the thing you need the most is waiting for you back home.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's in the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Got me thinking.
Speaker 1: The cosmos is I'll.
Speaker 11: Tell Chris though it might not be the Christmas she expected, but magic is in.
Speaker 5: The air, yuh you.
Speaker 10: The secret ingredient to all my pies is love.
Speaker 5: You know, Christmas time is the best time to fall in love.
Speaker 10: Not this year, not this year.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you need good friends to point out.
Speaker 11: What's been right in front of you all along.
Speaker 5: Guess who's here. It's Scott from high school.
Speaker 1: He's become quite the handsome widow werd I think he likes you.
Speaker 10: How many times do I have to tell you people, I am not down for a rom com right now, and for the last time, I'm not joining your MLM.
Speaker 11: Christmas is when wishes come true, and this year she's wishing for true love.
Speaker 10: No I'm not, but it's Christmas, don't care, and your home for the holidays where the magic of Christmas romance takes home.
Speaker 1: You know what read the room. Buddy, did you not see the election?
Speaker 11: I only exist in Christmas movies? What's an election?
Speaker 1: Christine? There's someone here to see you, Christine. I know it's Christmas Eve and I'm just a single dad with three adorable kids. Will you here, mommy?
Speaker 10: This is literally the first time we met.
Speaker 1: And I know you're a big city Christmas journalist and I'm a rugged man who works at every small business in town. But Christine, Christmas is about being with the people you love.
Speaker 11: That's what I keep telling her.
Speaker 10: That's what I told her too. Oh my god, all right, enough, all of you.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 10: Why do I even have to go home for the holidays. It's not even my real mom, it's just some Canadian actress.
Speaker 1: Hey, are you single?
Speaker 4: Wish you a merry Christmas?
Speaker 1: See wish you a merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: Wish thank you?
Speaker 10: No, thank you?
Speaker 4: No thank you, no thank you? Thank you?
Speaker 1: So get cozy with the one you love.
Speaker 5: Because of the holiday season, The Daily Show Movie Network presents I'm Very twenty twenty four Christmas, Merry Christmas, and the.
Speaker 1: Don't We Come Back? Peter Sarsgard will be joining me on the SHOWFS so don't go away. Welcome back to the day show. My guest tonight is a Golden Globe an Emmy Award nominated actor whose new film is called September five. Please welcome Peter Sarsgard. Wow, great film.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Is this film gonna make me respect sports reporters because I don't want to?
Speaker 4: You know, I always loved Jim McKay, who's in this movie, you know, and a lot. I was a huge sports fan growing up. I still am. I guess, yeah, some of my favorite people sports reporters.
Speaker 1: To deal with it, Okay, but you were acting along with real doc footage, dock footage. Because you mentioned Jim McKay, you actually are showing him in this pivotal moment in September fifth, nineteen seventy two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, actually, when they were first talking to me about doing the movie and I saw the Jim McKay footage from that day, that was really one of the things that pushed me over the edge. It's like hearing you know, your favorite actor is going to do it. I was like, my favorite commentator's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: What drew you to the film. Besides that, because we've had a movie about you know, Munich, We've had a movie about that event.
Speaker 4: I've had a lot of Yeah, great documentary, there's visions of eight day and September. I think it was the point of view in some ways that it was almost like a submarine movie or something. To me, all these guys in front of controls and the periscope is the is the camera. And I think the live camera the birth of the live camera, turning it from sports, which is what it was kind of meant for, and then turning it onto this hostage crisis in now we have this rolling twenty four hour coverage that's live, and I don't think it's been a great thing. So I think this is sort of the dawn of something that we kind of need to think about a lot of the issues that are in the film from nineteen seventy two are still the same issues we need to be thinking about.
Speaker 1: That blew me away, how relevant so much of the journalistic stuff. I mean, now I can go live right now on this boom, by the way, I'm live right now. No, And the amount of respect that was given to live in nineteen seventy two because it hadn't hadn't been done before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, what is it to have live news coverage. Why is that good? Is you know, having your face right up to something like this and make it more understandable in some ways, they had this new toy, which you know, run Alrich, who I play, was known from really making the best seat for the sporting event be at home in your living room. You were going to know more, you were going to see more, You're going to have the background story, you had the on field camera. But is that really important for like a hostage crisis or a school shooting something like that. Why why do we do that? You know?
Speaker 1: It's so true now with sports where I go, you know, I'd rather sit at home. I'm going to get the speed of the ball, I'm going to see the revolutions. But I don't know if I'm a better person for that necessarily. And maybe in sport it's perfect because the stakes are low.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the interesting thing is is it first? You know, with Run and all these ideas, they were afraid that they weren't going to be able to sell tickets. They didn't want the best seat to be at home, right, I didn't stop people from right to see alive.
Speaker 1: The attention to detail in this film shooting a TV show fifty years ago. I mean, like the it's real tape, it's film, yeah, And then they had to do the graphics, you know, and they're actually like putting typeface. It blew me away.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the way that they slowed down the film to do the you know, was that bullshit. No, that's the way they did it.
Speaker 1: That emotion was a guy who just moved his hands slowly.
Speaker 4: Well, we had our director. Tim Felbaum was just obsessive. When I met him, he was showing I remember one of the first things he did is he said, I'm thinking you'll shave at some point in the film. Look at this period correct shaver that I have, And I was like, this guy's clearly meant to do this. It's very helpful to have all of that real stuff in front of you A lot of times, you know, speaking of submarine movies, I've done submarine movies where it was like, it looks really cool if you flick this thing and pull this thing this way and then go like that, and you're like, what does that do We have not yet? But Tim would say, first you have to hit this, then you have to point at that. He's going to flick this thing. It was all accurate.
Speaker 1: That's the control room, and your character is pretty much in his office or control room the entire time. What was it shot over many many days obviously, but I mean that was felt claustrophobic, almost like a submarine movie. But I guess that was an intended purpose.
Speaker 4: We're filming in Munich at Bavarious Studios, and technically they should be able to make more on a sound stage. They should be able to make the walls fly away, right, and you should, but he didn't want that. He wanted it to feel very tight. We had two cameras, three people on each camera, maybe eight actors in the room. It's hot, it's smelly, it's smoky's but I guess that's the way it was. He was dairy into making us uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: It comes across and it's very entertaining to watch. And I thought, holy shit, I want to make TV in nineteen seventy two, but instead I make it in twenty twenty four. And I'm a piece of shit, and I wish I could be in nineteen seventy two. Sports journalists, to me, it's just what do you do in the second half? Coach and I was watching this thinking, Wow, they these sports journals handled real journalism so well, and it made me think if ESPN plus could pull this off today, if we have you know, there's so many channels, could they handle a hostage crisis so eloquently? Jimmy Kay looked like he was meant for it.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a different time. I mean, these guys were real storytellers, that was the thing, and they were you know what happened at this moment because Ruin and On to do news he.
Speaker 1: Was, which is fascinating too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he actually did news and sports at the same time at one point. And so this idea of making sports entertaining for even people who don't follow sports, like the remember the my aunt Mary would would watch the Olympics. She never watched anything else sports related, but the Olympics was like we learned, he came from Nebraska, he's shootings in his backyard. She's she's weeping.
Speaker 1: After her father slipped on the steps when she was in eighth grade.
Speaker 4: Right, But then he took that into news, and now we do have news that you know, tries to be entertaining, tries to compete with other news. I don't know, what you're talking about, and for better or worse, we need like tidy endings and you know, beginnings, middles and ends. And I think that that's.
Speaker 1: A problems and audience warm up. Guys. I don't know, I mean.
Speaker 4: Are we I think what I think what's good for you is that you acknowledge that you are both. It's the illusion that they are the other stations that we won't talk about.
Speaker 1: Man, You've played so many wonderful characters, characters that I love. The Apple Show, Presumed Innocent. You played the kind of dickhead lawyer. You played a Sarah the Killer and boys Don't Cry. You were the villain in Green Lantern. You had this enormous forehead. Do we have a picture of this green? I mean, I mean what, I'm sorry, You've played so many characters, but this costume. How did you lose the forehead? Weight for weight?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you something. I didn't know about the prosthetics until after I said yes. I actually arrived on set and they were like, oh, and you're going to go meet the prosthetics team. And I was like, oh, what prosthetics? And then they went and it was New Orleans and it was summer. Yeah, is why in many scenes in that movie, I'm not wearing trousers because it's from here up. That's the secret actually to that.
Speaker 1: I don't wear trousers. No, I should try that here. Do you like playing bad boys?
Speaker 4: Peter, Peter? Sorry, you know I stood up? Do I like playing bad was.
Speaker 1: Each one to look at my dick?
Speaker 4: Peter?
Speaker 1: Do you are you a bad boy?
Speaker 4: Peter? I don't like the responsibility of playing a good boy. I guess I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe in them. Whenever I've met them in my life. I think they have some ulterior motive. Yeah, I really appreciate the honesty of somebody that just wears their sins on their sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, you know comedians that are always like I'm clean, I'm clean, always the most fucked up. But yeah, look, this film is excellent. Thank you. It's nominated for a Golden Glow for Best Motion Picture Drama. That it's It's gonna get even more. September five is in select theater starting December thirteenth, or the nationwide on generally seventeenth. Peter Sarsgar, let to take quick break. We right back up with this as the show up for tonight. Here it is the moment of sound.
Speaker 7: So one of the Patriot Awards tom me tell Brian I don't get dressed when he tells me to you today.
Speaker 1: I watch Fox in my bathroom. All right, Send us pictures. No no, no, he is wrong, Send pictures.
Speaker 4: Throw thank you.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: And stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 11: Paramount Podcasts