Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting.
Speaker 2: On here today? You're not interested in armed now?
Speaker 3: No, look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a conversation. Hey, film Spotters will get to our Kristen Stewart scenes here in a minute and tell you why we're even sharing this top five from the archive. But first we wanted to let you know that you can get access at any time to top fives like this other reviews from the past over one thousand episodes by becoming a Film Spotting Family member.
Speaker 1: Josh.
Speaker 2: All they have to do if they want a discount through the month of August is do what.
Speaker 3: Use promo code Summer. Pretty easy, Yeah, through August thirty. First we are offering this over at film Spottingfamily dot com. I feel like it's always a good deal, but now especially a good deal twenty percent off use that promo code Summer.
Speaker 2: So we're sharing a top five from twenty seventeen, our top five Kristen Stewart scenes. Up until this year, Meryl Streep hadn't even been given this type of treat. Wow, on film Spotting You didn't need to point that out. No, I didn't need to. But this was the height of the case stuissance because she had just been in Personal Shopper, Olivia Asseas's film that had followed Certain Women in twenty sixteen, The Clouds of sils Maria in twenty fourteen, and she had credits going back to Panic Room and Into the Wild as a teen. She is by far the youngest actor we've done a top five scenes for, but it seems at that time she had been appraised as one of our finest actors and we felt that way, and we certainly felt that she was deserving of this type of treatment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like we also recognizing that this wouldn't say, I wouldn't call her resurgence, but that this recognition was building. I wanted to dig into some of her movies, specifically looking at her performances and wrapping our own minds around what we made of her as an actor, what she brought to the screen, what she brought to these roles, and then come away with our favorites from what we saw.
Speaker 2: This doesn't happen often, but over the course of doing the show together, we have done a few joint top fives, and that's what you'll get here. This is truly our Top five. Kristen Stewart scenes jone Jet, I play.
Speaker 1: I played guitar, electric guitar.
Speaker 2: Oh, jone Jet. That's a cool name.
Speaker 1: You guys got a demo?
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't, No, guys, I want to start an angle rock band. The Runaways and Kristen Stewart's Joan Jet with Michael Shannon as Kim Fowley, who's a music producer and who's their manager, and he is delightfully fun in that film was my favorite thing about that film back in twenty ten, and I was sure, Josh, maybe it's because of the critical reconsideration of Stuart. I just assumed that I was a huge fan of Stuart's performance in that movie, and I went back and looked at my notes and kind of mixed on the film, kind of mixed on her. Rewatching a lot of scenes from it for this show, I've changed my thoughts on her, and I think it's because the way we've seen her evolve through the work of directors like Olivier Assayas. Maybe it was a matter of not her needing to catch up to anything I'm doing, but me needing to catch up to what she's doing. And I think we'll talk about what we see her doing on screen as we get to our top five Kristen Stewart scenes. And it's funny when I went back and looked at those notes, Josh I had the setup for that show. Maddie was sitting opposite me, and that was the same episode where we shared our top five actresses of the decade. It was twenty ten, after all, and my setup question for Maddie was ten years from now, what are the chances is that one or both of the young actresses at the center of the Runaways, Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, what are the chances that one of them will make our list ten years from now? Looking back on the decade, and the fact is, it really was like a lot of our setups are just a provocation to get the conversation going. At the time, in twenty ten, I had no thoughts at all that Christen Stewart might genuinely be in that conversation. But right now, as we sit in twenty seventeen, how could you try to form that list and at least not consider her.
Speaker 1: You'd have to write, that's.
Speaker 3: What we've been doing. I mean, I haven't given her that sort of consideration. Really, I've only seen, you know, not even half of her films. I think we've both managed to now see the ones that most people will regard as the important ones. But it is this reappraisal that's been happening in the last few years that's forced me too to think, Okay, I got to look more closely, you know, at some of the specific scenes visit films I haven't seen before, and for me, it was more trying to get not really a quality thing and where does she rank. It was just trying to get a grasp on what does she do on screen? And so that was what I was excited about having the opportunity to do.
Speaker 2: Well. We'll rustle with that here in a moment. But if you are out there thinking, I've seen a handful or several Kristen Stewart films, I don't know what all the fuss is about, and that's totally fair. You're not alone in terms of the people producing this show. We can mention that one of the people behind the scenes was not necessarily all that on board with our desire to do this top five and actually suggested, looking back, we've done these types of appraisals of actors' careers for people like Robert de Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman why her. So part of the question is where's the body of work? And then you could also ask where's the talent? And some of the names that were mentioned, Scarlet Johansson, Jennifer Lawrence, even Mia Vasakovska, Sir Sharonan, Brie Larson, all some might argue or some of them better actresses maybe than Kristin Stewart. But I think what we talked about, Josh is that none of those actresses, I think it's fair to say, have captured the imagination of critics anyway and some moviegoers the way Stuart has recently. And there are some very formidable voices in film criticism who are all in on Stuart beyond Stephen Cohne, including Wesley Morris and Ao Scott, who in the New York Times when they did their piece a dialogue between them about the great performances of the year twenty sixteen, Ao Scott said his hunch is that Kristen Stewart is the new Robert de Niro. He says, she doesn't, of course transform physically the way de Niro has made a career out of doing or at least did early in his career, but according to Scott, she burrows as deeply as de Niro ever has into the interiors of her characters, and he says the fact that she's the most interesting person in all the films she was in in twenty sixteen, including Cafe Society, Certain Women and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, suggests that her movie star chrisma is still intact. She's just using it in subtle and occasionally subversive ways. In Wesley Morris ads, I think christ Stewart is just about the best American movie actress we have.
Speaker 1: So okay, yes, some hyperbole there.
Speaker 3: Time to temper all that a little bit.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 3: This is what I found. She's very to my mind, she's extreme. She excels at doing some things very well, and as a result of that, there are some things that are not in her They're not her strong suit, and you can see when certain movies place her in the positions to not be able to excel, at least from the small sample size that I've taken and getting ready for the show gives me that impression, and let me give you an idea what I'm talking about. I think Personal Shopper is a good place to start, because she is She's one of those ghosts that Coan is talking about, not literally, but she has that sense in the movie. She's an apparition. She's elusive, she's ephemeral. You can't pin her down, and I think some people have claimed that that makes her a bad actress because you don't you can't say this is exactly what she's doing easily, okay, and so they will read that as blank and that's been a criticism of hers. Now you have others who go away the other way, the people that you've mentioned, and I think, you know, my experience of her work at this point is that she's something in between those two positions. She's a master of reticence, just an absolute master of that. But perhaps because of that, I think she can be a little bit limited when it comes to conveying a genuine connection between two people.
Speaker 1: Really, that's where.
Speaker 3: I see some of the scenes, and there are exceptions. We'll get to Clouds of.
Speaker 1: Sillsby a bunch of exceptions.
Speaker 3: Maria is one where you know she's on it. It's a relationship movie, and I think it's her best performance that I've seen, but think about. You know, the first time I saw on screen Stephen mentioned it in David Fincher's Panic Room. She played a character there who was literally withdrawn. Right, She's this diabetic tween who's hiding in the safe room with her mother, and the posture she has there that she has to adopt. It's curled up, it's leaning back, it's turning away, and that is still I think her defining quality or her go to position as an actress on screen. And I think you can say that even in something like you know, the swoony Twilight series, which Stephen pointed out that maybe when she's not as invested in the material then it's not going to work. I think there's probably some of that going on there. But she's also too withdrawn to pull off this heavy breathing Bella character that she was supposed to be playing. You never believed that central relationship between the two of them. You always felt that Bella wasn't after Edward, Right, you'll be able to back me up.
Speaker 1: It was that, right, Oh yeah, I'm the expert.
Speaker 3: She wasn't after Edward as much as she wanted his doomed, lonely lifestyle more than she wanted him. That's the feeling I always got. Okay, So I think what makes her fascinating is that it's the same thing that makes her frustrating. She's this movie star that we can't have and the way that we like to have movie stars. Because her true talent is keeping us at a distance that's not like a good or bad thing. I think that is what makes her an alluring presence.
Speaker 2: I would say it's definitely more good than bad, because there is that allure. There is something that you can't help but be drawn to. There's a mystery you're constantly trying to solve.
Speaker 3: But there are scenes where that doesn't work. And you know, Twilight is maybe the easy example to give of that. But I think even in a film, a good film like Personal Shopper, there are scenes that suddenly require her to be connecting with another person personally and in a vulnerable way, and there's just the disconnect there for me where in Personal Shopper And we'll get to it on our list. So I don't want to spot when she's alone the word Stephen was using solitude intensely private. Those are the ones that sing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of know where you're going, and I don't completely disagree. At the same time, I think that I still feel like when she is interacting with people in this film, it's meant to have that sort of awkwardness of people trying to connect in a world where they're much more used to connecting with people constantly over text. And I wanted to mention to Stephen that that's a huge part of this film where we have this other ghostly presence in Personal Shopper that is sending her these harassing text messages, and look, we all do that every day. Another presence is the presence we project of ourselves when we're interacting with people over text messages. And you add two at the layer of she doesn't know who she's talking to and when she then is forced to actually try to connect with another individual, it's still fraught with that kind of artificiality, and I think it works. I think it definitely works.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to get trapped into a Personal Shopper conversation, but I'm thinking of the one with her client's lover. Yeah, a long extended exposition scene where all of the sudden she just starts spilling her guy. It's not that the reticence is a problem there. It's that all of a sudden, it's completely gone. And it's not true to that character in particular that she opens up so much to this guy she just met. And it's also not true to Stuart's talent as a performer.
Speaker 1: What are you doing person, I'm waiting, let me go, what are you waiting for? My brother died here, my twin brother died in Paris.
Speaker 2: Makecident. No, I will give you briefly that when he started to engage her in a conversation and she stopped walking out the door and turned around and engaged with him, I thought that felt false. But then it also made sense to me that that character in that moment, who was so used to not having any kind of actual conversation with people, would say, Okay, I'm going to put my guard down for a second. I'm going to actually do this. I thought it made sense. But let's talk about connection. It's going to be a big part of this. I think physicality is going to be a big part of what we single out when we single out these scenes and the moments that we love from very good to great. Kristen Stewart performances, and I want to go back for number five. Here we're doing a joint list to Into the Wild from two thousand and seven, another one that Steven mentioned, and it's Chris and Tracy's Goodbye Chris played by Amiel Hirsch. He's Christopher McCanless, the kid who is heading off to Alaska, and this is kind of his last big stop, his last big encounter with society before he goes off for his life of solitude in Alaska. And he meets this teenage girl, Tracy, who Stuart manages to convey without doing a whole lot that she has enough hormones flowing through her that it prompts Chris's friend Rainy to say that poor girl is about ready to vault herself onto a fence post. And yes, there is that element to her performance and her character. But like her playing Joon Jet in The Runaways, this is another bit that involves her playing a guitar and performing Josh. A lot of people listening might think, I'm going to go with the Angel from Montgomery duet scene where they're playing this great John Prime song and she sings and Hirsch joins her in the duet singing for these people who have all joined together at a place they call Slab City, which is just a snowbird kind of camping ground. But for me, it's the moment right after the song and that performance Angel from Montgomery dissolves into their goodbye. They've made this connection. She's only sixteen years old though, so he hasn't engaged with her sexually, but they've certainly had some kind of bond over this brief time they've been together. And Sean Penn, the director, really stages this goodbye wonderfully. Where it starts with the camera panning slowly across the campground. We see the camper that he's going to be going away in pulling in, and then it cuts to Chris and Tracy, and Chris is in profile, and the close up is really on Stuart's face as he's telling her where she can send him mail. You can send mail to this address. It's South Dakota.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'm going to get it, but I'll get it.
Speaker 2: I'm treat of magic. Yeah, she's clearly upset, she's sad that he's going, but there's something more than that in her face.
Speaker 1: It's not just anger. Or sadness.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, the only way I can describe it, like she's trying to will him to stay with her eyes. She's not doing anything physically in this moment, but there's nothing passive about the scene whatsoever. And it extends to the moment where they finally do say goodbye and he shares this cheesy platitude with her. He says, if you want something in life, reach out and grab it, and that's where this physicality comes in, where she then gives him a hug. And it's something I think we see in a lot of Stuart performances. She makes a slightly unconventional choice in the Runaways. It's the way she smokes a cigarette, It's the way she hunches her shoulders like she's always ready for a fight. Here, she doesn't just throw her arms around him. It's not a hug like we've given or been given a million times, but she actually cups the back of his neck and pulls her toward him in that moment. And I love that choice and I love the aggressiveness of it. Again, nothing passive there, but also it is her literally reaching out and grabbing him, just as he expressed to her, whatever you want just go and get it. Well she does, she does in that moment, and yet he obviously doesn't stay. So there's a bittersweet irony to this whole endeavor, and we know it's going to play out in terms of ultimately how things end for Chris. And I think that's where the scene also really hits me in terms of some emotional resonance, because we know that he could have this, whether it's her or someone else, that type of connection, that bond with another person. He's about to let it all slip away in this quest to find himself and his determination to be alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Into the Wild my favorite film of two thousand and seven, and Stuart one of the reasons for that. I'm gonna jump head about ten years exactly and go to Kelly Reikert Certain women, and this is the horseback riding scene that many people who have seen this film come out of it talking about. Stuart anchors one of the triptychs here in Reikert's movie. She plays a young lawyer who travels to middle of Nowhere, Montana once a week to teach a class on school law. A ranch hand played by Lily Gladstone crashes the class and becomes infatuated with her, so they form this tentative relationship. She sits in on the class, they go out afterwards for a late night dinner. I think this is probably certain women's best scene, when Gladstone offers to give her a ride on her horse after class and she accepts. There's a quiet understanding between them there that no words are used at all to express what they've both come to realize and know. And I like towards the end of this where Stuart just leans in slightly, and in a movie that's very matter of fact in its framing and its camera work, also allows them to pass in front of a street light at one point, so that a halo glows over them, and that's a big flourish for someone like Reichert in a movie like this. And I think it's also fitting that here, going back to this idea of reticence as Stuart's real talent, that her character here can't express this until she's not facing the Gladstone character. So that just makes a lot of sense for the character in the film and for Stuart as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, without a doubt, and again, it's something physical, it's a gesture and it's an actual connection in a film where the heartbreak of the movie is in watching two people so thoroughly disconnected from each other, even as most of the film we see them just sitting across from each other at a diner, and it is almost as if they are two completely different people having two completely different conversations at the exact same time. I did want to highlight a comment about that ormance in those scenes from Nick Davis, because he's an instructor here at Northwestern. He's a film critic, and he wrote an article that's in the July slash August issue of Film Comment. So going back last summer called Hiding in Plain Sight that considers Stuart's career, and I think he really expresses this well. He says throughout in fact, we never know when Beth's friendly but terse responses to Jamie Beth. Is Stuart's character imply exhaustion, class based discomfort, embarrassed, detection of erotic feeling, or just a personal habitists. Stuart and Gladstone convey bottled up characters without making an incongruously big show of playing your word, Josh reticence or overexplicating their secrets and pauses. Their exertions turn an anecdote of two people not connecting into a rare display of two actresses doing just that. There is something remarkable going on in that scene, just as Nick said, where I can imagine how two lesser performers would make a show of playing disconnection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because and be afraid otherwise they're all nothing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And instead it's absolutely organic to what is transferring in the space between them, and that's what makes it remarkable as opposed to certain mannerisms or certain ways of speaking. You mention a lean in and a lean in is a big part of a scene that I chose for our number three, and it's from the twenty fourteen film Still Alice, which won Julianne Moore, if I remember correctly, a Best Actress Oscar. She plays Kristen Stewart's mom. She's a linguist who has an early onset of Alzheimer's and she has a complex relationship with her daughter, Lydia, who's played by Stuart and somebody on Twitter when we threw out this topic, Josh mention the scene that actually I first thought of and what I think is the most devastating scene in the movie. The most devastating moment is when Lydia, who has been fighting with her mom about her desire to continue to be an actress. That's what she wants to pursue while her siblings are more stable. One is a med student, I think one's a law student. She has a play, she has a performance, and Julianne Moore comes backstage her mother and compliments around the performance. But it becomes clear at some point that she actually doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know it's her daughter anyway. She thinks it's just an actress who she watched a few moments ago. That's devastating, but I couldn't find that online. And I actually think the end scene is just as good. She's now taking care of her mom and Moore's condition has pretty well deteriorated.
Speaker 1: And she's reading.
Speaker 2: Lydia is reading a scene from Tony Kushner's Angels in America, and she does really more perform it. I don't remember the exact context, has been a while since I saw the film, whether she is doing the part or has done the part before, but she kind of starts channeling the text. This amazing monologue. The Kushner wrote, and she goes from channeling it to living in it and really living in the text and the images that it evokes. And when she's done with the reading, goes and sits down by her mother, and she says, did you like it? And she's sitting next to her, facing her. She's trying to connect with her through this art, but she's still looking for her mom's approval, and she leans in when she says it. She's not just sitting back though, close to her mother, asking what she thought of it. She's trying urgently to get out of her something that she still needs from her mother. And it's not only that approval, but I think what we've seen throughout the film again, she was a linguist, this professor. She's always been the person who's had the answer, the person who's always been able to hear words and decipher meaning. And she needs this from her mother in this moment. She needs that connection and she needs that guidance. And as I said, it's so subtle, but just this little lean in to her mother gives the whole scene this great sense of urgency, and I think it's just great acting. It's not about what her character is doing, but what's fundamental to performing. It's about what her character's objective is, and without overplaying it, we know precisely what Lydian needs from her mother in that moment. Did you like that what I just read? Did show I get? H m hm m hmm. What was it about? Well?
Speaker 3: Love him?
Speaker 2: It was about love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a somewhat similar scene we'll get to where she's working with other texts and performing while performing. That I think shows the multiple layers Stewart can manage at once. The number two film we picked though, is Personal Shop and there were two scenes I thought about here that both have to do with what I was mentioning about Stuart being best in my mind as a solitary performer, that she's best when she's alone on the screen. And the opening of Personal Shopper is an extended sequence like that, where she goes to this mansion, really kind of a worn down mansion where her brother had been living, and she's trying to commune with what she suspects might be his spirit wandering through this amazing place. All these doors that she keeps passing through and they all have glass windows, so there's multiple dimensions at play. Just visually here, but she's often in darkness as well, and there's a furtiveness to it, and somehow the way she holds the screen by communicating that we're watching someone who doesn't want to be seen. Okay, so it's that playing with that tension is really great. But I went with another scene from Personal Shopper, and this has a brazenness to it. She's alone. It's when she defies her client's orders and she's in her client's apartment. Client is away on a trip, and she goes ahead and tries on these high fashion dresses that she usually shops for but otherwise isn't really allowed to touch, you know, given that Maureen the Stuart character, normally wears this nondescript sweater, this is quite a transformation scene and it's one that's communicated, Yeah, through the change of clothing obviously, but as you've been pointing out, through the physicality and just look at the way Stuart carries herself and how it changes within that scene, how her shoulders again lose that hunched expression, and her gaze even when she looks into the mirror. It becomes more direct than it ever is anywhere else in the movie. But again she's alone with there's doing.
Speaker 2: Softness to it that we don't otherwise see in her character in that moment, I think when she sees herself reflected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it comes through.
Speaker 3: And even an elegance in the way in the way she does begin to move. So this is, you know, I think it's Maureene's declaration of independence, though notably it's a it's a statement she can only make when when she's alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that independence so key as we're going to get to our number one choice here, and I think we can spoil it that we're sticking with asas in terms of our favorite scenes drawing from his work and Stuart's work, and it isn't lost on me that in both films she's playing assistance. Basically, she's there to serve other great women in their pursuits. And yet something about Stuart and her individuality is constantly bursting through. The conflict seems to be her desire and her ability to be a good servant, so to speak. But at the same time, she's constantly recognizers. Yeah, she's recognizing that cost and that really comes through. And I think for me, in terms of things about personal choppera especially what I've decided that works for me about Stuart. The best way I can describe it is her characters are all self aware, but Stuart isn't at all self conscious. So the characters often exhibit a heightened awareness of their contradictions, their flaws, their strengths, their power, their sexuality, whatever it is. And somehow Stuart is just incapable of suppressing that. Actors talk all the time about wanting to feel comfortable on a set, they have to trust a director. Stuart, to me, always acts as if she must be shooting at every point in the safest space for her imaginable, because to go back to Steven's words, she's completely vulnerable. I think in every moment there's no shame, there's no fear, there's no embarrassment, and I'm sure that those are factors for her like anyone else. She's just able to somehow harness it when she hears action. And I'll go back to another performance of hers that I remember made its way around social media back in December. It's her performance in the Rolling Stones video for the Blues cover Write Them Down?
Speaker 1: Did you see this?
Speaker 2: So she's the key figure, really the only figure in this Rolling Stones video, and we see her driving this amazing vehicle. I want to say it's a Mustang, a blue Mustang, licking a blue lollipop. She's dancing while she's driving in the car, licking the lollipop in a very exaggerated way. She later dances at a gas pump in a pseudo stripper fashion.
Speaker 1: And it's not that it's bad.
Speaker 2: Dancing, but it's not good dancing either. It's not that it's sexy, but it's not unsexy. And there is a certain awkwardness to it I think anyone would have to admit. But it's just this raw expression of exuberance and of energy. I think anybody watching it could be just as easily turned on by it as they could be moved to mocket. But Stuart just doesn't care. And maybe that is the vulnerability ultimately that we're talking about. It's at least what I think I'm responding to in her work. And that brings us to our joint choice here for the best Kristen Stewart scene, and it is from Clouds of Sales, Maria, which you just caught up with. It was one of my favorite films, just missed my top ten of the previous.
Speaker 3: Year, I know, and I've been doing a bad job of correcting that mistake, so this was another good excuse to do that. I'm so glad I did. I really liked it more than Personal Shopper as a matter of fact, and this is sort of the consensus pick I think for Stuart's performances. We're not breaking any new ground here. She won the French equivalent of the Oscar for this, and what a wonderful film about just such a unique relationship. Although it is an assistant role again, this time she's the assistant to a French actress named Maria played by Juliett Pinoche. Val is the character name for Stuart here, and the plot centers on this revival of a play that launched Maria to stardom some twenty years earlier. Back then she played the part of this youthful temptress who seduced as an older woman. Now she's been cast in the older role. So as part of this preparation and here's the scene that I wanted to mention, Maria and Val read scenes from the original play. Of course, Maria now in the different role, and I think it might be the first time they do this, it's a really extended line reading scene, and Val is now reading the part of the younger woman, Maria's attempting to perform the older part. And I think it's the best work Stewart has done because it incorporates everything that we've been talking about, and even that I've been talking about is sometimes what I see as weaknesses. Here it becomes an absolute strength. Now, up until this point, she's given this, for me, a really surprisingly warm, open hearted connection performance. She and Banocha. I mean they could almost be sisters extended by a couple extra years. They're just so in sync together. So this was something for me at least that was pretty new. She's so open to her co star here, not turned away from her, not trying to cut her off, nothing like that. So that was really fun to see. But when they're reading the play's dialogue, then she slips back into what we normally think of as a Kristen Stewart performer. So at least what I think of, you know, aloof and aggressive. This is the younger woman part.
Speaker 2: You're using you to humiliate me. It's not just your youth or your powers of seduction.
Speaker 1: No, it's your plum shakable self confidence.
Speaker 2: You don't know me. Nothing gets through you.
Speaker 3: You radiate self confidence, and you don't.
Speaker 1: I wear a mask. It works with some people. Others see you right through it.
Speaker 2: I can't tell which was which right away. There's one of thing anks, so it it's reading people's behavior, So how should I be reading yours? How do you think?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm reluctant to say it. That's pretty clear to me. Reluctant.
Speaker 3: Alana nervously crosses and n crosses her legs, reaches for a cigarette. I don't know if this is something actors do. But she'll stop to say the stage directions, huh, and she'll just drop the performance. But she's not really becoming Val again. She's kind of becoming this like it's a reality breaker. And then she becomes Val and then goes back and forth, and it's such to watch her moving back and forth like that is just really a wonder. And there's one line she gives as the play character. Now she says to Maria, you don't know me, and it fits for the play, but also based on what we've seen and what's happening to their relationship, Maria's beginning to wonder maybe she doesn't know Vow, and we can sense that Vow sending messages or maybe even exploring the possibility of sending messages at this way. There's just so much going on in this there is, and it's really something.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, and I just rewatched it today in preparation for this discussion. And there's a flatness that some might decide is a negative to the way she says that line where she says, you don't know me. But I love it for all the reasons you said, but because what it really gets at is think about all the ways that character there playing a character could say you don't know me and actually betray things about themselves to the other person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could say you.
Speaker 2: Don't know me so many different ways that would suggest a self confidence or a certain desire to seduce, or just you're trying to play mystery. You're trying to play mysterious. That could all be expressed and more. But in that moment, Stuart plays that character who just means exactly what she says, you don't know me. It's as simple as that, and that whole conversation you nailed. It works on the level of the parts the characters are playing running lines. It works on the level of the parts. The characters are playing with each other, and there's that third perhaps layer of Banoche and Stuart, the actresses playing with each other.
Speaker 3: And their personas. Yeah, definitely Stuart's persona. I mean this is you know, this is a movie that's matt in so many ways. There's some jabs at Hollywood, and there's references to were wolves at one point.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So it definitely is aware of the perception of Stuart. Never lets that become the main thing or derail what is mostly going on in the film, but it is just one more element there at play. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another great candidate from Clouds of Sils Maria is the scene after they go see that space movie starring Chloe Grace Moretz's character in this film, and she has to try to argue with a Juliet Binoche about how there's nothing invalid or I suppose non profound yeah about this film just because it takes place in space.
Speaker 1: That's another great one.
Speaker 3: Remind me of some of our conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder what role I'm playing in your version of that scene, Josh.
Speaker 3: Just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: We will link to much more about Stewart in our show notes, including the Nick Davis article, which you can read some of online from Film Comment and we'll post this entire list over at filmspotting dot net under top fives. We hope you enjoyed our top five Kristen Stewart scenes from March twenty seventeen, and we hope you'll consider becoming a Film Spotting Family member once again. You can learn more at f Spotting family dot com. And don't forget that promo code summer. Thanks for listening. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 3: Goodbye,