Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, screaming live.
Speaker 1: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Streaks. Second, PA's Got Tidsstown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Talking Cowboys here on a Tuesday this offseason. And apparently if you climb Mount Kilimanjarrow or do something like that, you can talk to everybody on your way in the building, even if you're running behind.
Speaker 4: It'd be like this, you look slimmer.
Speaker 5: I lost twelve pounds.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, oh my goodness, yeah, I lost twelve pounds.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It feels like walks came to.
Speaker 3: The building or like like during the mount killing the jar climb or.
Speaker 5: The whole thing. Man, ten days, twelve pounds, that's crazy. It was a lot.
Speaker 3: It was a lot. It looked like a lot. Whenever you sent the the video from the top and one you were an emotional wreck, which I understand that's unbelievable of a feat. But the the thing that I picked up on was that your dreads were frozzen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was all frozen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were moving your head and it felt like they were just cracking going on.
Speaker 6: I honestly, like Scott was just asking me about that, I didn't think, well, my fingers felt it. Honestly, my fingers are still numb, so I'm hoping that feeling goes away sooner than later. Yeah, it just feels like just crazy pressure on their fingertips.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I didn't think about that part.
Speaker 6: Once you get up to that point, like you're not you're cold, but you're not thinking about the cold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 3: You gotta you can't think about them.
Speaker 6: No, you're literally, at least for me, I can only speak for me. I'm looking at the heels of the person in front of me like that's for hours. I was just like you take a step, I take a step, You take a step like that's literally where my mind was, and then just trying to.
Speaker 5: Battle all the crap that goes through your head at that time.
Speaker 3: In terms of a physical feat, is that the coolest thing you've ever done? Yes?
Speaker 6: And yes, physically yes, but it wasn't. The physical wasn't the.
Speaker 5: Most challenging aspects. It was the mental.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like physically it was challenging. It was demanding going down. By the time we went down, my legs were toast like they were gone, like non existent at all.
Speaker 5: Breathing good, No, not at all breathing.
Speaker 4: That was the thing we talked about. I was like, I think that's gonna be the biggest challenge there was it.
Speaker 5: It was, Yes, for me, it was.
Speaker 6: And that played a big part in to my mental challenges because I'm not as a at least as a football athlete. You're not used to sustain high you know, heart rate, yeah, you know, you know, like so endurance athletes, people who run your marathons a lot of stuff, like they're used to their stuff kind of staying up there. Mentally, I wasn't like I just like one five you know heart rate for me, like, that's that's that's humping. Yeah, you know, that's humping. That's like getting off sleds or running some sprints and then you take a break. You know what I'm saying, You let your heart rate come down when you're hiking for six to you know, eight hours straight and your.
Speaker 5: Heart rate stays up there. Yeah, just kind of just kind of plays a little bit on you, just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations, congratulations to you. You look like a fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you've been John so long. He has three babies.
Speaker 7: Heard.
Speaker 3: This is the right show for everybody that's watching and list the kitchen. This is the right, right show. Isaiah's back in the building. We've got Nick Harris, myself, John Manchoda will be back next week. Uh but yeah, you you climbed Mount Killiman Jarrow. I climbed Mount kill a dad Jarrow. It's been great. It's been good. Babies are doing good, everybody's healthy, MoMA's recovering. Uh where. Yeah, we're kind of getting back to normal for a little bit until they come home. So that's kind of the the big waiting game now. So us are healthy good, they've they've been healthy, and they've been great. Our our medical staff is the best in the world. I would put them up against anybody. But tell tell us about the outside of that before we get into football. It's the off season. I know everybody on YouTube is gonna say talk football. We will, I promise, Yeah, but tell me about the outside stuff. Because it wasn't just climbing a mountain.
Speaker 6: They went over there, and honestly, it is like my mind didn't get wrapped around the climbing aspect until we were done with the actual big like the purpose purpose work, and that was the reason why I joined up. It was a Chris Long Foundation, So I know, Cowboys Nation doesn't necessarily want to hear Chris Long name, but he does some amazing work out there, and so it's a Chris Long Chris Long Foundation and the Water Boys Initiative, And what they've been doing for the past ten years is they've been going to Tanzania primarily and digging water wells for some of the communities out there, so community schools, super remote locations, and these are people who have literally no water, like literal no water. I have a lot of content I'm gonna eventually show and put it together the right way to tell a story. But you know, we went to one village particularly, and it is about three miles from the village. We went to the village and they were super happy to see us, hundreds of kids, you know, other people in the village, and then we drove about a mile and a half two miles away, and then we hiked about another mile down until like this I don't even know what you want to call it. It was like a I don't know. He just looked like a rock face at the bottom of a hill, and the guy wanted to. One of the elders in the village started digging a hole pretty much in the dirt. Luckily it had rained probably you know, the day before and that day earlier that day, he started digging a hole and then all of the water started like seeping up through the dirt, and like that was their water source prior to the Chris Long Foundation coming in and providing a water well for them, and now they have sustainable water, solar panel, actual well that was the hole was borrowed probably about it I think one hundred and fifty meters down before they hit sustainable water, like actually a good water source. And then they have the solar panel when that power is it, and then they have an actual tank system that filt trades sit and.
Speaker 5: All that jazz.
Speaker 6: So they have about four thousand liters per hour that they have access to. Now that's awesome compared to compared to they were dealing with. And you could see buffalo prints, bamboo print, baboon prints and all that kind of stuff. Around where they were trying to source this water and this is not clean water. Sure if they even confined water, the water is not clean and it's definitely not a safe environment. Kids were not allowed to really remain in school. I mean, they're trying to do school, but it's like, hey, we need water not only for sanitation and you know, bathrooms, but also to drink. And so they were spending you know, six seven hours a day going trying to find a water source, find a water source, not even not even just retain it, but find water. So now all those hours are being poured back into those communities and to those kids and those villages and those those those moms, because those are they're primarily the ones that go out and do it. Life totally, life changing, perspective changing. Just it's unfathomable the conditions that people are living in outside of what we're accustomed to.
Speaker 5: But it was awesome to.
Speaker 6: Be able to go see what the previous co hurts, like this year's co hurt, you know, twenty twenty four Conquering Keilly class that I was a part of. Next year's class, we'll be able to go see the water wheels that we were able to generate funds for and see the fruition of that. So thank you to anybody who supported prayed all that jazz. Your money literally is impacting thousands down there.
Speaker 5: And I have.
Speaker 6: Pictures galore, videos galore of like just the smiles on their faces and celebrations of just water, like like they can literally go as simple just go and they can turn on a tap now and get water.
Speaker 5: One tap.
Speaker 6: I'm not talking about like all the different we can walk down this hallway and get water from so many different sources. They have one tap that they're beyond grateful for that they can now access for everything agriculture, bathrooms, and beyond everything that you can imagine that you use water for. So it's it's definitely mind mind blowing, eye opening. Super happy to have been a part of it. I'm super happy to be a part of it going forward. I'm definitely I'm not done trying to help with that organization and the work that they're doing. But to see the impact is one thing. You know, you hear the stories, you see that you're here needs. You know, people compare it to situations here in the US, and yes, we have our issues, but it's not even Yeah, it's not even in the same ballpark.
Speaker 4: Well, we're proud of you, Bud.
Speaker 3: Pretty such job throughout the time out there, and man, can't wait to see the extra content and the extra stories that you're gonna put out there as well. Well, you haven't missed anything. I mean, the Cowboys haven't done anything, right Nick, I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think when the last time was Mike Zimmer hired whenever the last time year? Okay, I couldn't even last whatever you had come in. But yeah, it's just been draft and getting ready for free agents combine.
Speaker 3: I watched the kind of jombine I was kind of joking.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. I know, I again, I did not know when Isaiah left. Like it felt like it's been forever.
Speaker 5: News and notes I feel like is pretty loaded this week.
Speaker 3: I mean, you spent Indie. Last week in Indy, had the NFL combine, But then you've got these reports about Tyron Smith coming out, and there's a number of different elements of how this offseason could be attacked over the next really week and a half that we're going to see what direction this thing's gonna go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, free agency starting here in about eight days. I think we're going to get a pretty good idea of what the off season strategy is here in about six days. Whenever that open, that's hampering period starts, and that's when you can kind of see all the headlines flying off. So by this show next week, we'll have some big stuff to talk about, I feel like. But yeah, you know, Jerry Jones talked about being all in at the Senior Bowl and he was trying to rework the definition of what all in actually means whenever. We kind of circle back on that at the Combine last week. So I would not I would not expect anything different than what the off season has given the Cowboys in recent times. Now, last year, you look at the off season and they go acquire Stefan Gilmore, they go acquire Brandon Cooks. Can they make a move like that this offseason, Yeah, it would not surprise me. I don't think though, when people here all in and they take that for their own definition, I wouldn't think that's going and signing one of the best, you know, a free agent linebackers and bringing in one of the best free agent running backs. Now granted, this is the best free agent running that class probably in NFL history. Yeah, but I don't think it's necessarily signing those guys at the top of the position. Nothing can really get done free agency wise until this Dak Prescott extension happens because you don't know what you're working with on the cap. And Dak talked about it yesterday. He said he feels confident that it can get done. He's like, it needs to get done because it helps the team and helps the numbers and it helps us, you know, build a better team. But you know, Jerry Jones said last week that if it doesn't get done, they have a way to work around it. So we'll see. I think an extension gets done this week and they'll have a little bit more cap room to work with in twenty twenty four. But from the conversations I've had, no one really understands what that what the off season could look like until that number is finalized and what it is.
Speaker 3: What would that number look like in your eyes?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's really hard to see what it would look like because there's so much leverage on Dak standpoint. I mean, he has all the leverage outside of wanting to be here longer and wanting to be paid significantly as well, so there's there's leverage there. I I don't know what that number would end up looking like.
Speaker 5: I mean, my perspective's changing. It's that I know.
Speaker 6: It's weird, right, my perspective's changing in regards to because it feel.
Speaker 3: Like you your perspective never changed.
Speaker 5: I know, life happened.
Speaker 3: You go, you go overseas and you come back and all of a sudden, you know how to change your mind.
Speaker 4: Our sex all of a sudden important.
Speaker 6: I honestly, I honestly believe that outside interior more impressive than interior.
Speaker 8: When you get on a plane for over eighteen hours, you start thinking that, doesn't hear Bamber?
Speaker 5: That flight home was like thirty six hours?
Speaker 3: It was a huh Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was done.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say six hours. I don't want to see another airplane. Yeah, and I was in I was not in business class.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Beemer doesn't know what that's like. Yeah, yet, I'm sorry, happening and we had a great time.
Speaker 3: I ended up in at least somehow.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I say that because the conversation obviously for a long time, and it's going to continue all the way into if something happens has been that Dak has all the leverage, and he has a ton of leverage. I will hesitate to say all because I truly believe.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 6: Listen, I believe that mister Jones in the front office are all in on Dak. When I say all in, I mean like they don't feel as if they have better options. I'll say that, right, And yeah, when you don't feel like you have better options, you obviously have to do things, you know, to.
Speaker 5: Work around that.
Speaker 6: I don't think that they feel as if they have to give him like a crazy extension. I really, I'm starting to feel like they don't get I don't get the sense that they have that sense of urgency.
Speaker 5: I do believe that they want to get that done.
Speaker 6: I believe that they want to move things around, But I don't think that they feel like they have to and and I think that they're maybe and this is just my perspective, of course, right, I believe that they might get CD done before.
Speaker 3: Dak if there wasn't a fifty nine million dollar cap hit lingering over the top of this team, then I think I might agree with it.
Speaker 5: I hear you.
Speaker 3: I think they have to get it done because of the leverage that they've been pushed against, or because of Dak's leverage that's pushed against it. Dak wants to be here for the most part. I think the Jones family wants Tak to be here, especially coming off of a season where he finished second in MVP voting. People forget about that because of the way that things melted down against Green Bay. He deserves to be the franchise quarterback with the Dallas Cowboys. It's how do you maneuver from that fifty nine million dollar cap hit. That might be the top priority right now because that's a lot of tax.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of money until you look at and see how much Denver is about to be hidden.
Speaker 3: See but that's a that's an NFL record. I don't any other dead cat.
Speaker 6: I agree A perspective again, I left that trip to perspectives everything, and like seriously, like real talk, perspective is everything. So when you're when you're at the top of the league and you're like, Okay, you got a sixty million dollars hit, you're.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my gosh, it's like they got eighty five million dollar hit.
Speaker 2: You like, okay, may mean not it's bad, right, like seriously, like like like it's the reality, Like yeah, it's it's it's huge, and it can literally handcuff your team.
Speaker 3: And if you'll not for Denver for this entire sea Head, Denver screwed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Dallas has options.
Speaker 6: Now they're not the options that you want to take first, but you have options. Your your back isn't against the wall like like you're you're getting cornered. Yeah, but you're not in the corner i'd agree with, right, So I'm not And I get I get I get it from both sides. I truly get it from both sides. But I don't think that Dak just has the Joneses against the wall.
Speaker 3: Like I got you, I get what you know I'm saying, because there's a there's a part of the the Jones family, and I mean more importantly, this thing that's behind me, you know, that thing right there, that that star that helps Dak Prescott so he wants to here. So that's the that's the part of them elevated off the wall. But it's not by a lot. I mean, I'm telling you their backs are about and a half.
Speaker 6: But if you're the Jones, but if you're if you're to Joneses and you're any front office. At the same time, as good as he's been as a representative of the brand, as good as a quarterback that he's had in regular seasons, you you don't want to pay for what you haven't seen, which is playoff success. And I think I think that aspect is really what's kind of giving me that hesitation in terms of them feeling like they have to be all in.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't.
Speaker 6: I believe that there is a situation, as minute as it might be, I believe that there is a situation where they put him in a situation where he has to play it out.
Speaker 4: This final year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The way I see it is, you know, he played on the franchise tag back and what was that twenty twenty and twenty one.
Speaker 3: No, it was twenty nineteen, twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: And he suffered the leg injury and they as a result got a friendlier deal for the team long term. Well, he's coming off the season where he was second in MVP voting and kind of helped turn around an offense under Mike McCarthy, and he's the biggest catalyst in that locker room towards success and leadership and everything of the sort. I don't see how the front office has any more leverage than they would in any other situation just because of you know that fact alone. I think he's gonna go out there and ask for the biggest paycheck, and honestly, he probably deserves it at this point. But you know, what does that look like five six years from now, then that's probably a good deal, you know. But I think it's all again perspective on what you're looking at right now. And I think if there's a way to say fifteen on the cap hit or twenty on the cap hit this year, then that gives you so much more room to be able to work on the front side of this contract. Because regardless on the back end of this contract, you're gonna be paying a lot of money in too, Deak Prescott, regardless of what if you sign an extension now or if you do it later, like, you're still gonna be you still got this back here. So that's why I think you have to get it done before CD, before Micah, because you need to know what back here looks like. Yeah, but I think I think if we can get that, if the extension can get signed over the course of the next week. They're going into free agency on what is that March thirteenth. There's an opportunity to figure out what you're looking like going into the off season. Really good linebackers available, really good running backs available, if you can get one of each other, either or the other. I think I think you're cooking with gas going into the draft.
Speaker 3: Well, let's say our first break when we come back, I want to talk about how Jerry did backtrack a significant amount at the combine, about the all in approach, so what could that look like. And I want to address some of the rumors around Tyrone Smith and what that could look like on your offensive line as well when we come back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash fig for you for details.
Speaker 10: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team go online at Black Riflecoffee dot Com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com. To fuel up.
Speaker 3: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 5: Let's roll back the tape.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys.
Speaker 5: And now he's on his phone on his Bank of a Erraca mobile banking app.
Speaker 3: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 7: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive Cowboys fans just Can't Stop Banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 3: Eerica is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app. Only available on so Like mobile devices. Message in doat rates apply? Remember FDIC Welcome.
Speaker 11: Back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answered life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 8: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 12: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier? To cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do now, just to remind her that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: Bat to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the Coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats Super Trusted super Food. Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I think I had a variation, did you Quaker oats? That I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think they called it porridge on the mountain, but I'm pretty sure it.
Speaker 3: Was like like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Speaker 6: It was like, yeah, it was pretty much like a slop version of the Quaker.
Speaker 5: Oh so I'm gonna go ahead and say that I have my oats every day when I was on a mountain.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: Did you have like it's almost like space food is what it ultimately is? It's packaged drive for.
Speaker 4: Or what is it?
Speaker 3: Dry ice?
Speaker 5: Or yes?
Speaker 3: D I love what I'm looking for.
Speaker 5: You never have space food?
Speaker 4: I human food.
Speaker 3: Have you ever gone? Are you camping? Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But like I like legitimate campus yes, actually so where you like open the package and you pour in like boiling water and then you swirl it around and then it's.
Speaker 4: A caspfire and we cook actual food. That's that's the difference.
Speaker 5: Hey, beamber. Have you ever had space ice cream?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 5: I space ice creams.
Speaker 3: Are that It's delicious?
Speaker 4: Okay? All right, Well, somebody send in some space hearing about twenty years when we're able to travel to Mars. I'll go out there.
Speaker 3: And try some space ice cream by yourself. We should bring it in next week. It's not hard to find. They have it in the camping section of like all of these different sorts. You can go to Walmarts, Spylight camp food. Let's bring it up. I think we should bring it in next week. I think yeah, space camp whatever.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: The rumors have started to swirl a bit throughout the NFL about what this off season could look like for the Cowboys, and uh Nick, you mentioned in our news and notes a minute ago about how Jerry specifically wanted to backtrack from the quote unquote all in approach. How much did he backtrack and and what do you feel like this off season could look like for me here depending on the first dominoes to fall.
Speaker 4: I don't think he necessarily backtracked. I don't think that's maybe the right word. I think it was just more so him throwing in what he meant whenever he did say all in at the Senior Bowl shirt, and because that was a long quote, clarifying it wasn't the two words, and I think a lot of people kind of had adjusted expectations whenever that that was said. But when An asked directly to define all in on Friday, this is what he said. We can interpret this how we feel it might take the whole show. We will be working on different players and drafting different people. Just the very nature of it is different different people. We have different coaches. I think the attention that our nuances of where we are with the cap, the nuances of where we are with our position in the draft, the nuances of where we are with our free agents, we get that involved with the definition of being all in. When you look at those aspects, we will be looking at every solution towards winning this year. And he gave an example of kind of being all in, and it would be if they're sitting there at twenty four and there's a quarterback that's slipping. Let's say for a sample, JJ McCarthy. He's not taking that quarterback. He's taking a guy that has an instant impact at twenty four and not planning for the future in that sense. So what does that look like? Okay, let's talk about all these nuances, nuances of where we are with the cap. That means getting an extension done for Dak Prescott because if you're going all in this year, you need more cap money. Nuances of where we are with our position in the draft, number twenty four in the first round.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's not necessarily like a nuance though, at least positioning with the draft, because they've been in the mid twenties the last four years. Yeah, been in that conversation the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: I think I don't think it's necessarily position like position for like selection of these position as far as like mindset, like where we are with the draft. We're going to go take best player available at twenty four, We're going to go take best player available at fifty six or fifty seven, whatever it is, and adding bigger bodies on both sides of the ball. We'll dive into that a little bit later because I want to touch on that. And then nuances of where we are with our free agents. This is the part that I have to believe to see because whenever free agency opens, first off, what does that cap number look like? And second off, if you're able to make a splash or two in free agency, then yeah, that maybe that would serve better towards being all in. But as of right now and what I expect free agency to look like. We've talked about Tyron Smith potentially being out the door. I don't kind of see how that manifests over the course of the next three or four weeks.
Speaker 3: Hmm, I'm I'm even looking at it. If they go out and add a veteran linebacker, that's one thing they will, and maybe even a veteran starting caliber linebacker. There's a couple of them in free agency. I think I would feel much better about this team. Even if they don't go get a starting caliber running back. I would be fine if they go get a linebacker. I would rather have both. I would rather go and get a starting caliber linebacker, starting caliber running back, and then I trust this front office enough to draft well and figure it out. Outside of that.
Speaker 6: I'd much rather than get one of these bigger name he tackles. You would rather go get go get a dog. They got some dogs.
Speaker 3: What if they bring back Jonathan Hankins add a dog to him? You want somebody else?
Speaker 6: I always buy my Rock Wilders and two's do you have any Rock Wilders cashes in clay? Before cashes in clay, it was dread and locked. There's never just one. Never just never just one. There's always two dogs. Do you have the next names picked out? They got some years left car? Yeah, I like it, but no, there was dread and Lock. Now there's Cashes in Clay, So there's there's always two dogs. There's always two, and I think that you need to if one goes down, you still you still feel good. So like, even if you're able to bring back Jonathan Hankins, you still need a goon out there. And there are some goons that are available on the front line. Now are they gonna cost you Absolutely now as that play into the cap, absolutely unless you just want to cash them out.
Speaker 5: There's always an opportunity there too.
Speaker 6: So I'm in the like in the likelihood, especially with Zimmer and he always has big boys up front.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's had good defensive tackle play throughout its time, and not just good Bengal or at Sincy in Minnesota, not just good. Yeah, but it's always great, always a great one, yeah, always a great one, never a good one, never just a good one. So you think Zim could be good for Mazzi in that spot. I'm not saying Mazzi needs he definitely needs to take a step forward, but I don't. I'm not expecting Mazzi to take a massive.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know what's going on in that young man's head to speak to that, so I would hope. I don't know what type of coaching he responds to. I do know that he lost a lot of weight. Yes, it seemed like he lost a lot of drive from what we understood about him as a player. So I can't speak to what he needs or what he's going to respond to. But I'm hoping, and I don't think he has a choice at this point. Either he's going to respond or he's not going to respond. So that's the coach. That's what's going forward. That's what we all have to rest assured in. But what I do believe is I do believe that they have to I don't want to say want to, I want to say hope. I think that they have to make a splash with a defensi alignment. As much as we've talked about linebackers, you can get a lesser linebacker if you have a better defensive front. I've said this a gazillion times. Yeah, right, So I don't think that you have to go get this stud linebacker as much as if you need as you need to go get a stud defensive lineman. And if you're able to retain Hankins, have a stud of beast. I'm talking about somebody who's like when they line up the old lines, like, crap, we gotta deal.
Speaker 5: With this cat.
Speaker 3: If you have that as well as.
Speaker 5: A Jonathan Hankins, then you and then now.
Speaker 6: You're cooking with something because now you're gonna let your dns whoever you want to put out there, d Law Michael, whoever else you still have on your roster at that point in time. Now those guys can go eat. Now you can mess around the stunts and he can do all the things that he does scheme wise to free up your next level defenders. But I think it's more important with somebody's free agents. If you were going to make a Day one splash and free agency, I would love for that to be a defensive lineman that all of us would be sitting up here doing cart and handstands on if they if that name was called, there's a number of them out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of running through this defensive tackle free agent list. I know Grover Stewart from the Colts has been one that the fan base has talked a lot about on Twitter. Sheldon Rankins out of Houston, coming off a season where he had thirty seven tackles six sacks. I mean, going down the list, Dakwan Jones, Justin Jones, Javon Kinlaw, Christian Wilkins, Quinton Jefferson, and then you can get into the lower paid guys from this past season, Justin Mattabuke. I mean, there's opportunities to make a splash and free agency if you can. Now some of those players probably be returning to their teams, but I think there is an opportunity to get a defensive tackle and make it work. We've talked about the free agent linebackers a little bit in the time that you were gone as well, and I think there are some really interesting names that are right there at the top. We talked about a SiZ how Shier. I mean, that would be my guy to bring in just because of his run stopping ability. But let's say you bring in a free agent defensive tackle and you bring back Jonathan Hankins, then you're working with Hankins, this no name free agent and Mazzie Smith operating together in that defensive interior. Go back to the second level. You're already getting a third round draft pick to Marvine overshow, and we haven't seen what he can do on the field just yet in the regular season. So you pair him into mont Clark, you go draft to one. You don't necessarily need to get a big time correct linebacker free agent. You can get one just to have a body, not necessarily a Rashaun Effan situation where you can't really play well. Go get a body that can be capable of rotating in and having opportunity, and then that allows you a little bit more flexibility on the offensive side of the ball to go get a running back or go get a tackle, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: There are so many ways that this thing can go, And like you talked about in the open, it could go so many ways in the next six days. Yeah, the next six days are going to tell us a lot about this offseason. But when we come back, I'm going to put you guys in the GM shoes. Yes, I want you guys to tell me what you're doing with Tyron Smith in the offensive line. What is your plan moving into twenty twenty four up front to protect Dak Prescott. Whether he he gets an extension or not. I want him protected. We're gonna talk about it when we come back right after this.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply, go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee club today.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not comedy.
Speaker 8: Hit five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. Se Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company. This segment of the show is brought to you by in Visa Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We've got Isaiah stanback, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back, Kyle Yeomens back again here for this offseason addition every Tuesday, ten am Central Time, Live from the Star and Frisco. And gentlemen, it's good to be back. It's good to be having everybody back in healthy year, back in stateside. John will be back next week. It's gonna be great. But I don't want to waste any more time talking about this offensive line. I feel like it's been all year, the last couple of years, we've been trying to talk offensive line. What is your plan moving forward? Do you believe that letting Tyron Smith walk, letting his Dallas tenure come to an end is the right thing to do?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 3: Or do you feel like retaining him and then drafting his his ultimate I guess what is it like bringing him in and letting him learn.
Speaker 4: I think this is It's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of Cowboys fans, But I think you look up a year from now and you see that it's probably the right decision. You got to factor a few things in. Tyron Smith coming off of a season where he played thirteen games, was able to return to second team All Pro. That price tag is going to be higher as a result. Now you have to be okay, let's let's go down the path of resigning him, right. You have to be okay with bringing him in, understanding that one bad injury early in the season can take him out for the rest of the year. You still got to pay that That's that's money that could be allocated elsewhere on the team to be able to operate. Now, factor that in and you look at the tackle class here in the NFL Draft in the first round. I mean, we've we've talked about it many times. There's eight nine guys at the tackle position that can go in the first round. You're sitting there at twenty four, You're gonna get a good one. You're gonna get a guy that can plug and play. So you go and you take on that rookie contract at left tackle, and uh, you move on from Tyron Smith and it's it's tough because it's, uh, you know, he's a guy that's been here since twenty eleven and he's brought you a lot of good football. Yeah, and he did a lot last season to be able to show that he can be sustainable and be on the field. Jerry Jones talked about in his availability last week how he was fresh going into the playoffs and it was it was huge for the team and if they had made a playoff run, that would have been a big part of it. But I I just don't feel like you can get you can get lucky like that and hit on not not being fully healthy every single year going forward for a two to three year contract that you do sign. But we all know what's gonna happen. He's gonna go to Kansas City and play seventeen games next Sharon win a ring, so back.
Speaker 3: To back to back for the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: Yep, goodness, It's it's time to allow for him to see what he can get it's time.
Speaker 5: It's it's a car that's been good to you.
Speaker 6: Everybody's had that car R that you have for a while, might have some transmission issues along the way. You know you had the transmission fixed the number of times, right, you kind of got to the mindset where you're like, you know what that transmit it is probably.
Speaker 5: Gonna go on me at any point, like it just it can go at any moment.
Speaker 6: And then you have that one good year You're like, oh, yeah, that training, it did good this past year.
Speaker 5: And then that good that good price comes up on a new car.
Speaker 6: Then it's like, dang, do I get Do I get rid of old Faithful that's given me a lot of heartache and it's been good to me.
Speaker 5: It's lasts a long time.
Speaker 6: Or do I just go ahead and just turn the keys in and move on.
Speaker 5: To the new car?
Speaker 6: And a new car is gonna be different. It's gonna be weird. It's probably not gonna drive the same. It's not gonna have this all the memories. But I'm gonna have some new memories in this car. You know, we're gonna we're gonna generate some new memories. It's time to get rid of the old training, the old transmission, gotta go. Yeah, you know, it had a good year, but historically it hasn't been great to you. You know what I'm saying in terms of dependability, and I think that's where you're at with the Tyrant.
Speaker 5: He's been great to you, He's been great to you. He's had his issues though, you know, he's had his issues.
Speaker 6: You know, dependability is availability in this league, and he hasn't necessarily always been that, and that's not to his fault. It just is what it is. I had those issues when I played in the league. I wasn't always available to the Cowboys. I wish I was, you know, but I had my injury. So sometimes you got to move on, you know. And I think that's where the Cowboys are at. As much as that's gonna hurt, you know, you move on. You moved on from Randy Gregory moved on from him, and there are certain guys you just, you know, regardless of the reasoning, it's time to move on. And I think with the Transmission that he has, it's time. Yeah, And you let him go see that, you give him that freedom, and I think that's what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Hey go see, Yeah, and you truthfully wish him the best, Like he goes and he plays seventeen games for this be awesome. I'd love to talk about that.
Speaker 6: It's a young man's game, yeah, and he knows that, right, and they know that, and it's just you come to a head.
Speaker 5: It's just like, well, I got some tread left. I see that.
Speaker 6: But I mean I just put the tester on your tires playing and it's not a lot of tread there.
Speaker 3: I can't I can't get over the fact that you're comparing an a time pro bowler to a absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: I'm just new transmissions. I mean, you know everything.
Speaker 6: Engines are running better now, like they're stronger, the putting out more horse apple.
Speaker 3: Car play fish a great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like there's just certain like you might have.
Speaker 3: Some bow speakers in there, Like you love it great, you love it, and you really don't want to move from heated seeds.
Speaker 5: You don't want to move on fro him. But it's like these features are.
Speaker 4: Nice, Yeah, that athleticism. Looking for Jordan Morgan. He's been available last four years in Arizona.
Speaker 6: I mean this thing, this thing wasn't it was a specimist thing, was an excursion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this didn't exist back in twenty eight.
Speaker 5: The excursions were amazing. They still run great.
Speaker 6: It's Ford Excursions still run great, right, but they're not efficient Ford.
Speaker 3: I still need an SUV, large sized SUV that can fit a triple trailer stroller just in case.
Speaker 6: But if Ford seems or something, they're not going to send you an excursion. They discontinued that model.
Speaker 3: Is there really has great?
Speaker 5: Absolutely that thing?
Speaker 3: Was it an expedition? Is that the big one, that's the that's.
Speaker 5: Their expedition x LT now is their big boy.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. But Excursion.
Speaker 6: They came out with Excursion and it was big boy, V eight, V ten some of them, and it was awesome, but they just they had some issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're they're whore horses, yeah.
Speaker 5: But they have some issues and they weren't dependable. So what do they do? They shut it down?
Speaker 4: Right AnyWho offensive line.
Speaker 3: So if you're getting rid of Tyron Smith, which both of you guys are, okay letting him walk, I'm in that same category. I think he's done a phenomenal job of fighting through some of these late injuries over the last couple of years. But it's just it's come to the point where it's hamstringing you from moving forward.
Speaker 5: You can't rish your hat off.
Speaker 3: That's what it is, because you can't. Even if you take an offensive lineman in the first round, are you going to get immediate impact from that first round first round offensive lineman?
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 3: Maybe four or five games a year if Tyrone Smith's unavailable. But it's hamstringing you, you're you're unable to use it. So I'm okay with it. It saves you on the cap, it gives you a better look to the future with Tyler Smith, and then whoever you would end up drafting. It does, however, pigeonhole you in that first round, that twenty fourth overall if you let Tyron Smith walk. That's the one thing that's really a knock is now you're most likely going to take an offensive tackle.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's definitive though, Okay, because you have it never never is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have one option that is sitting on the team currently, and that's whether Tyler Beiottish Walks or not. Left tackle Tyler Smith, left guard TJ.
Speaker 5: Bass.
Speaker 4: Okay, they've been working him at that position. Talking about TJ Bass since since camp last year. Now talking about bubble guts. That would give me bubble guts. Don't give me wrong center and center. You're either working with Tyler Biottish or brock offfan or whoever you pick up right guard of Zach Martin Wright tackle Terrence Steele. Now do I love that situation? Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: I do not.
Speaker 4: I would. I think Tyler Smith is the best left guard in the NFL three years from now. I think he's he's going to have all pro perennial type potential. I think if you throw them that left tackle, he's still gonna be really good. But I don't think you can get what you can get out of him at left guard and draft a tackle here in the first round. I'm just saying I don't think it's definitive. I could see a big shiny object sitting there at twenty four, like, get it, a Brian Thomas junior or an Xavier Worthy get it, and they draft him?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 3: Those are those are not offensive lineman.
Speaker 5: Get office linemen, yeah, get.
Speaker 3: Those are skills players.
Speaker 5: Get the shiny officeive lineman.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's just a big shiny offensive line, the big shiny Yeah. So the cyber truck, the big shiny is that that's what I want it.
Speaker 3: Last year the trun I really wish they would.
Speaker 5: Have did that.
Speaker 4: The cyber truck is Marius Mems out of Georgia. That would be that'd be the cyber truck.
Speaker 6: But don't get that, then get get the big shiny office of lineman that is sitting there at twenty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you wait, because.
Speaker 6: There's going to be a run on receivers and quarterbacks and everything else, you're gonna have some options.
Speaker 4: There's going to be a very shiny object sitting there at twenty four. That's not an offensive lineman. And if they I wouldn't put it past the front office. No, I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past they did it last year. Did what last year? Smith was not the big I don't really.
Speaker 3: Think there were any big shiny objects. I think that was just they felt like they needed defensive run help and that Monzie gave them the best opportunity.
Speaker 4: If they were taking a big shiny object, they would have taken Sam Laporta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really loved Saporta too.
Speaker 4: But you look at Ceedee Lamb and that was a big shiny object. The needs going into that draft and he was sitting there. They took the shiny object. Michael Parsons, there's kind of an aspect to that as well. It's not it's not on the level of lamb, but that was a big shiny object where there probably could have been some needs elsewhere.
Speaker 3: And everybody like an off ball linebacker and they're like, what are you doing taking hop ball linebacker at twelve tackle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you. Look, I understand. I'm just saying, don't marry yourself to it because.
Speaker 3: They don't take a tackle tackling.
Speaker 6: I'm tackling everybody in the front office.
Speaker 3: Deal sounds good, all right, sounds that sounds like a.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 3: What was that commercial? It was like it was yeah, it was office linebacker. Yeah, uh yeah. I I just don't you talk about bubble guts. Week four, you're going on the road to play San Francisco. I don't even know who the opponents are next year, but you play San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, there you go.
Speaker 3: Week four, San Francisco. You've got your offensive linemen of Tyler Smith, TJ. Bass, brock Hoffman, Zach Martin, and Terrence Steele going out there to block the San Francisco front seven. I would rather throw up.
Speaker 4: God forbid, there's an injury up front, and then you got to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 3: That then awesome Richards is playing at left tackle with TJ. Bass.
Speaker 6: Okay, go get it, get please, just please, just just don't even play around, like, don't even play around.
Speaker 4: And there's an opportunity in free agency as well to get not not a towoy dog get type talent, but like a too money wise to be able to throw a guy that's that's a center of value and get.
Speaker 5: Your if there.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the center market is, but I'm hoping that they can get a veteran.
Speaker 3: It's not very good.
Speaker 4: I don't think they need a center. Yeah, well the center market is not bad. It's not horrible.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: It's Tyler and Connor Williams. And you kind of know what you have in both of those guys up top. There are two of the top center Lloyd Cushion Barry would be fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Connor mc govern Yeah, there you go. We'll clap Matt Hennessey, Tyler Larson.
Speaker 3: Is that that is that jets? Connor McGovern the center actual Connor mc governess. Yeah, so that's different than your.
Speaker 4: But I think I think if you're going in free agency, I don't think centers where you need to focus a lot of attention.
Speaker 5: I think it's not.
Speaker 4: I think it's tackle. Even if you are drafting a tackle in the first round, you need to tackle depth and you saw that last year. You needed it bad.
Speaker 3: You think, if if Tyron Smith, this will be the last one before we really wrap up. But do you feel like getting letting Tyran and Smith walk would make it more likely to be bring Tyler Biottish back.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think so too.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree, because then you at least have some level of continuity on your offensive line. You're not having to replace two individuals, You're only replacing one.
Speaker 4: I'll offer this point to that though. We've talked about the running game with so many members of the front office since the since the season ended, and how the running game was not up to the standard this past season. Now, when you talk about Tony Pollard, it's spoken in a high light. It's like, hey, you know, towards the back end of the year, he really found a stride. We feel like he had a great year, a thousand yard season. Coming off of that injury. We feel like he had a great year quote from Jerry Jones last year last week. So when you talk about the running game, it's always, yeah, we felt like Tony had a great year. Could he have had a better year? Probably so. But you know, it's not just the running back. It's what's in front of him and what's blocking for him. And so that implies that you really have to make changes up front. And that does not mean getting rid of Tyron Smith, because Tyron Smith was not the problem in the run game. So you got to figure that one out and figure out what you can swallow as far as going into the season and being okay with that in the run game, I think there's gonna be a huge, huge overhaul with that run game. Over the course of the next three to four weeks. We're gonna have a really good idea of what that will look like in twenty twenty four. Unfortunately, because I really like watching Tony Pollard, I don't think it involves Tony Pollard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any thoughts.
Speaker 5: I think it depends on who you pick up.
Speaker 6: I think there's obviously we live with this with this show talking about how much how many available options there are for the running back position. It's probably the greatest class in terms of free agency ever. There's a lot of them. I mean almost every team could get to have to have. The NFL can get a started running back right now. So I think there's options, and I think there's situations where TP comes up as it comes back as a as a two hit A monster.
Speaker 3: Would love that as long as it's a deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's I mean, that's.
Speaker 3: All the way he's gonna be.
Speaker 6: I mean, all these running backs are available. They're not all getting solid deals now.
Speaker 3: So if anything, they think there's gonna be a lot of all being out there makes the value down.
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot of value out there, so I play great chance for a lot of teams, not just the Cowboys, to walk away with a nice two headed monster.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The draft class is really awesome as well running back. So you know, I think if you pay a guy on Day two with one of these free agents, you're cooking with gas.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: I think so, well, we'll see exactly what happens between now and next Tuesday. I feel like when we hit the earwaves on Talking Cowboys next Tuesday, we're gonna have a lot to catch up on and we'll have a pretty good idea of what this off season is going to look like.
Speaker 5: He starts right after our show, right, it.
Speaker 4: Starts the next day. The next day, we'll have the tampering period. We'll have the tampering period is going on on Monday, so.
Speaker 3: We'll be able to see agreed to terms and who's gonna stay and who the tag deadlines today, so that that's pretty much done and nobody's getting tagged across the move.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be crazy offseason.
Speaker 3: It will be a crazy offseason.
Speaker 4: Buckle up, and we'll be here through it all another day. Another dollar, Isaia to stand back.
Speaker 3: All right, for Chris Beam, for Isaiah stand Back who climbed Mount Kiliman Jarrow and gave a well of freshwater to a village in Africa. To Nick Harris, who went to Indianapolis Combine and kicked ass out at the Indianapolis Combine brought back a ton of content to talk about on the Draft show that comes up at eleven. And to me who did absolutely nothing except that she did see my beautiful wife give us three babies. That's it. That's what we had. That does it for us here talking Cowboys. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.