Speaker 1: It's mediat Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I am not your host, Spencer Newhearth. I'm your guest host, Doctor Randall Williams. Today we're joined by Steve, Janis cal Clay, Mister Bret Reeves and Chili. Now, as you know, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are Hunting's, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now for our housekeeping today, we have a correction to make from the episode of Trivia that aired on October ninth. That episode, if you'll recall, was guest hosted by Jannis Betellus. Question ten of that week's episode read as follows. Brumination is the word that describes the hibernation of what animal? The answer given was snake, but Yanna said he would have also accepted reptiles. Spencer was the only contestant to receive a point. Heading into question ten, Brody and I were tied in first place. He answered bear and I answered Salamander, neither of which received credits, so we entered a tiebreaker, which Brody then won. At nine fifty one pm that day, I received it.
Speaker 3: This is all the same letter.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is I've composed this, This is my own, this is from you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, when you're reading your own letter to Spencer, No, he's just telling us the story. This is I'm telling the story. I will have some just okay. I thought you're reading some dude's letter. No, no, no, this is how I was starting to like this guy.
Speaker 4: This is house keeper, I think, Wasn't it brumation not rumination bronation.
Speaker 2: Later that day, at nine fifty one pm, I received a text message from Spencer Newharth that read oh no, and included a screenshot of a Google search with the phrase do amphibian's broommate. The results of the search indicated definitively that Amphibians, including salamators, do indeed broomate. Our subsequent text exchange read as follows. Randal ho ho ho ho ho ho ho exclamation point, exclamation point, Spencer, I thought that seemed wrong.
Speaker 1: Random When you said ho ho ho ho, did you mean ha ha ha No, No, it's.
Speaker 2: A Oh yeah, oh Randall, Yeah, I did too, Spencer, this can be your housekeeping. When you host trivia in Louisiana, you will be able to declare yourself the winner of that episode.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you won, So to some all of.
Speaker 2: That up, Spencer has officially added a victory to my career total and taken one away from broading.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We've not reached out to Brody yet for comment.
Speaker 1: I do like this story. What do you do you?
Speaker 2: How do you think Brodie will react to that?
Speaker 3: He'll take it.
Speaker 1: He'll be very reasonable about it, Yeah, very much. We'll ruminate on a little bit.
Speaker 5: But he also but he did win the tiebreaker.
Speaker 2: He did, but we shouldn't have gone to a time.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, it's like you won in regular time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the crowd's gone home. Yeah, half the kids cried, half the kids cheered.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Counts as the record books. Yeah, history, history, Yeah.
Speaker 3: History will erase the feelings.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, and I will I will respect Brodie's donation to col Rodden's Responsible wildlife Management.
Speaker 1: You know you're not going to send them money.
Speaker 6: What do they need money for? Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Something called proposition one twenty seven it yep, yep.
Speaker 6: So now no vote no. If you're in Colorado.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I met multiple Colorados this very week, and the first thing I asked him was, I said, how are you voting on proposition one twenty seven? They all answered right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, the the organization that's behind that is getting a lot of mileage now out of uh they're getting a lot of mileage. That that the great hunter dan ash is coming out in pro proposition one twenty seven.
Speaker 6: Who's Dan No?
Speaker 1: He think hunts a pheasant now? And then one of this bird hunter? Yeah, he used to well, he used to be interior under who uh No, he was fishing, had a fishing wildlife service under under Obama. Obama. Yeah, so like even a hunter.
Speaker 5: They they are one of those.
Speaker 6: They've found all of those, they got both of them.
Speaker 2: Well, now that we've all had our fund for the day and and through that important item of business, let's just get through this game of trivia, shall we film? Please play the drop?
Speaker 1: Look, I need to know what I stay under? Win everything? Everybody? How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Demon suckers? That was good and loud. Question one. This is a multiple choice question. According to the University of Florida. What percentage of alligator attacks are fatal? Hmmm, your options are A four percent, B seventeen percent, C thirty percent, or D forty three percent. I'll read those again.
Speaker 1: This isn't like including dogs and possums and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Is human human human alligator attacks? A four percent, B seventeen percent, C thirty percent or D forty three percent is an attack?
Speaker 5: Well, this directly pertains to what just happened and in Colorado with the mountain lion, Colorado State doesn't recognize the lion attacking the dog and the human interfering and beating the lion to death with the shovel as an attack because it was attacking the dog, not the human.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I see both sides of that, because if you picture like, let's say you looked out your window and there's a bear mixing it up with your dog. Yes, and you ran out there and mix it up with the bear. I can see how you, Yes, But I would see that if you were walking your dog, then I would be like that, you know, I mean that I would be like I would say that is an attack, Yes, because in your immediate proximity and it's your property that you're kind of hooked to by a cord.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, yeah, And like, yeah, did the lion come from ninety degrees and t boned the dog or did it come straight at the both of you and encountered the dog first?
Speaker 1: Sure, or the dog jumped in front of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a gator attack, meaning that a gator touched a human with his snout with his teeth.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think that's a fair characterization.
Speaker 1: Let's pick a number, man, for you listeners at home who are in love with your ladies at home who are in love with Chili. He's not saying anthing because you don't have a mic, but I'm here to speak for him.
Speaker 2: You're his interlocketor I think is the term.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've already written my name. I think Chili, I see what you got to do? We all have of my Oh, Chili has come up with a wonderful answer. All right, I can see how he would arrive at such a number, right or wrong.
Speaker 2: Why don't we flip those cards? Steve says seventeen percent, Chili says seventeen percent, Joanna says four percent, Clay says four per Brent says four percent, and cal says seventeen percent. The correct answer is four percent.
Speaker 1: I knew it would be something like that, son of a bitch, because they're kind of going like, oh, I who knows that low?
Speaker 2: Unprovoked alligator attacks do occasionally happen and should not be downplayed. However, most are preventable and the fatality rate is low. Most attacks are characterized by a single bidy.
Speaker 5: Do you mean most are preventable?
Speaker 1: That's you know who wrote this an alligator?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wally, I mean alligators do only live in a very specific well the states.
Speaker 2: I think most are preventable implies that stupid it wouldn't have had Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you live in Montana?
Speaker 1: Well, I think they could have all moved to Montana. Though it's never been a.
Speaker 2: People who get stomped by a bison in Yellowstone Park. I would say that most bison, unpleasant bison encounters are preventable.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah. I think that a lot of alligator attacks probably come from being like, oh my god, check out that alloican, like I'm going to go over by that. Allocate this in all the in all.
Speaker 3: The animal human attack conflict videos that you watch that you see like bison or whatever, gators are some of the worst because what they'll when they do you guys agree with me like the gruesome factor because they'll grab somebody's hand and then I roll.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think there is just like a way for a gator to get you a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know, you want to hear a noise that keep you up at night? Yes, yes, yes, we do listen to this. My buddy and my buddy in Yazoo County, Mississippi just sent me a video of it's on my Instagram at Steven Ranella of a gator coming up and grabbing a raccoon underneath the corn feeder. If I got a good enough connection to play it, I.
Speaker 5: Should have recorded Chili listen to this noise because my roommate Chili, woke me up with what was not a classic snore.
Speaker 1: Come on, play the noise.
Speaker 5: I looked over and he's up in bed like this with his hooded sweatshirt on and he's trying to snore.
Speaker 1: But he's got playing noise on your block. Come on, I can't play it.
Speaker 5: It's making more of type of noise that was scary.
Speaker 6: Take you off the internet.
Speaker 1: Who's real good at phones?
Speaker 6: Take you off the Internet.
Speaker 1: Well, question too. I deleted, deleted, who's good? I deleted the video home.
Speaker 6: What I mean is like, turn off your wife.
Speaker 1: Just give me a second here, Well, that's what's throwing it off.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you pause the recording?
Speaker 1: Okay, he hasn't caught it yet. You'll know when he catches it is a gator catching a coon.
Speaker 5: That's not the gator making that noise. Yeah, that sounds like when you wall down the tree man. Just I know you're hosting randalm but no, no, next week, one of our raccoons. I remember one time we were out, me and our neighbor kids and everything. We're out swimming in the lake and we're on our raft, which is like way out in the lake, playing ball tag, and from there.
Speaker 1: You had to go like across the water, up the hill to the house, up the hill to the garage. And you could hear from playing ball tag that noise. And it was because someone had hit the automatic garage door. This is right when the garage doors becoming a thing, and caught the raccoon like he was trying to get in or get out before the door shut, and it got him right around the mid section and you could hear that noise from the raft wow, And I thought it killed him. But you hit the button, the door opened back up, and he just ran off and it went through a big opening again.
Speaker 3: Our dog due.
Speaker 1: When you hit the garage door button at our house, our dog immediately goes the other dire actually heard about.
Speaker 2: Question two? What seven letter French term refers to a small boat, often a dugout canoe, and is commonly associated with the Cajun culture of the Louisiana marsh What seven letter French term refers to a small boat, often a dugout canoe, and is commonly associated with the Cajun culture of the Louisiana marsh.
Speaker 5: What a timely question?
Speaker 6: How important is spelling?
Speaker 3: If you if you can do it with six letters?
Speaker 1: But you know what it is, it's French.
Speaker 2: Somewhere the eg there will be generous. I think, yeah, this is sort of a thematic episode like surroundings.
Speaker 1: Steve objected to this.
Speaker 3: Did we tell everybody we're in Louisiana we are in No? He didn't set that up.
Speaker 1: And then he's doing it regional, which I told him I thought was a dumb idea.
Speaker 2: And then I had several people come up to me saying I heard Steve thinks this is a bad idea. I think it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: I think it's like people walking by.
Speaker 6: No one was has the initials j P.
Speaker 2: One has owns Chase Bank, one has the initials pt.
Speaker 1: PTSD, se we do.
Speaker 2: We all have our answers here.
Speaker 5: And then there is this Cajun guy, Steve is Chili still working.
Speaker 6: On his chili.
Speaker 1: How you doing, buddy? He don't have it, He's not gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Why don't we flip those cards over?
Speaker 6: I feel like there's two answers for this one.
Speaker 2: Steve says, p rogue. Everybody except for Chili says p rogue. Everybody except for Chili, got it right?
Speaker 6: And how do you accepted batto?
Speaker 1: Different? Different? How?
Speaker 2: Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 4: You don't know, because I believe that you should accept battel.
Speaker 6: You can so b a e au.
Speaker 2: E au Is there not an X?
Speaker 6: There's no x. Well.
Speaker 2: Typically used to refer to narrow, flat bottom boats used in the marshes of the Gulf, a pe rogue can actually apply to any number of vessels. Meriwether Lewis used the term to refer both to the cottonwood dugout canoes, as well as two large rowboats utilized by the Core of Discovery. Hank Williams Junior mentions these boats in his nineteen sixty nine hit song Cajun Baby, which includes the line eat lots of shrimp and crawfish right around in my.
Speaker 1: Old p rogue.
Speaker 3: It's right to it, and that one Tony, it's pretty straightforward.
Speaker 2: The other line, he said, song it's like her teeth or white, her hair is black. It's I mean, it's very it's just very descriptive.
Speaker 1: Die in the back of a Cadillac.
Speaker 2: Question three. This fishing tackle manufact founded. Question three. This fishing tackle manufacturer, founded in Philadelphia by German immigrant Auto Henzi, boasts that its famous saltwater reels have caught more than fourteen hundred world record fish. This fishing tackle manufacture, founded in Philadelphia by German immigrant Auto Henzi, boasts that its famous saltwater reels have caught more than fourteen hundred world record fish.
Speaker 1: E z z z z.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to do the thing where you you want everybody to get a point.
Speaker 1: Oh, chill, you didn't know this, chilli, you didn't get give me your little car. Question one did one yesterday?
Speaker 2: Come on, chill, you still got zero?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I'm scorekeeping today For those at home, do we all have an answer here?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why don't we flip those cards over? Steve says Penn. Chili says Penn. I'm raising an eyebrow with that. Janna says Pen. Clay says Shimano. I wasn't gonna say zeb, Grant says Penn. Cal says Pen. The correct answer is Penn.
Speaker 5: Pens.
Speaker 2: He founded the Pen Fishing Tackle Company in nineteen thirty two, only ten years after he arrived in the United States at the age of twenty five. Among them many notable records caught on a pen reel is the one thousand and eighty pound of Mako shark, landed in nineteen seventy nine by Frank Mundas, who later served as the inspiration for the character played by Robert Shaw in the film Jaws.
Speaker 1: Question four, you know, uh Munda's he caught a big one that IGFA didn't accept because they handed the rod.
Speaker 3: He.
Speaker 1: I can't remember if he hooked it or as Mate hooked it. I think Munda's hooked it, but then he wanted the boat turned like in a particular fashion and at some point hands it to his mate or vice versa. I can't remember. And Igfa rejected the thing because he had went and harpooned like a three thousand or some obscene great white off a whale carcass, and then people were looking down on it. Well, you didn't actually catch it, you harpooned it. So he's like, oh, I'll go catch one. So he goes catches one off a whale carcass. Now it's been commented that Frank Mund has had an uncanny ability to locate whale carcasses till the fish white sharks off. Yeah, but catches this giant and they do a switcher root and it was the record was rejected.
Speaker 2: Huh. Question four, speaking of the IGFA, Question four, how many species must an angler catching a single date in order to achieve an IGFA inshore grand slam? How many species must an angler catch in a single day in order to achieve an igf a inshore grand slam?
Speaker 6: Take a good guess, I got, I got a good guess.
Speaker 2: I thought this was going to be a question that received ridicule for its level of difficulty.
Speaker 1: It is a highly difficult one. Suit you got.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll comment after you revealed.
Speaker 1: You're just taking a stab, just taking a stab.
Speaker 6: You We're not. You don't have to name the species, correct.
Speaker 2: The number of how many species? How many different species do you need to catch in a single day?
Speaker 3: So really, Brent, you've got a one an infinity chance of getting it right so far?
Speaker 2: All, well, that's assuming they're infinity different species.
Speaker 4: I think if you guys think about the question and the words and the question.
Speaker 2: Are you helping your competitors?
Speaker 1: I mean, like do it again?
Speaker 2: But I feel like there how many species? How many different species must an angler catching a single day in order to achieve an IGF a inshore grand.
Speaker 1: Where are they talking about?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I'm going back with my original answer. We all.
Speaker 2: Do, We all have answers. I why don't we turn our cards over?
Speaker 1: Steve says three, I'm thinking bonefish, permit tarpin.
Speaker 2: Steve says three, Chili says four, Gianna says four, Clay says four, Brent says four, and Cal says four. We have a correct answer in the room. It's three. Whoa grand slam? A grand slam is defined as an individual.
Speaker 5: Angler catching at least.
Speaker 2: Three of the eligible species within a category. A super Grand Slam requires catching four different species within a category.
Speaker 1: Is there a super duper?
Speaker 2: Any other guesses on what you get when you get five?
Speaker 1: The Ultimate Super Slam, the Fantasy slams, the marketing department, they're like the slam things really catching on, can do some expansion.
Speaker 3: Five.
Speaker 4: I'm writing a letter to them because where it all started was a baseball Grand Slam and how many runs.
Speaker 1: A Grand Slam of sheep. But it's like bonefish, permit, tarp and I think it's out of the keys.
Speaker 2: So they have they have all these different categories. You can have a tune of Grand Slam and Track Grand Slam and Insure Grand Slam. So anything within those categories, it's like pick three. If you caught them in a single day, you can get recognized for an Insure Grand Slam. The species in the categories follows bonefish, snook, cubert snapper, tarpan permit, snubnosed pompino, giant travali, mister fish, bluefinn travali, and milkfish. Question five, name every state that borders the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 5: Don't build up, so they don't wear it down.
Speaker 2: So it's not a big fan of these questions day. I thought you did to have higher spirits after that last one. Name every state that borders the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good one, Thank you, Clay.
Speaker 1: Did you make that up? I did.
Speaker 2: Name every state that borders the Gulf of Mexico, which happens to be very near our current location.
Speaker 6: How many are there?
Speaker 2: That's part of the question. I I initially included the number, and then I thought about who was playing today, and I thought we needed to make a couple of these questions a little tricky.
Speaker 3: United States States, United States.
Speaker 6: Still pretty good about it.
Speaker 1: I could keep going and start getting it wrong. I tried to move down into old Mexico.
Speaker 2: I could be challenged, but I couldn't fact check you. You know that'd be challenging, So just go ahead and do it.
Speaker 1: I know you're not doing little tid are doing little ti.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to keep them short. I'm trying to keep them short.
Speaker 3: Hey, I tell you the tidbit i'd like on this one, Yes, is uh the history of the Florida Panhandle. It's kind of an awkward yeah, geographical Uh.
Speaker 1: Where they're like we need even more coastline. We didn't get enough.
Speaker 3: The reason. The reason I recently read about it, but I forgot. But it was something pretty interesting, like you know somehow Florida was just like, you know what, and we're going to take all this. You know what book you might enjoy, Clay.
Speaker 1: We have a book at our house called How the States Got Their Shapes? Really and you can do any state and it talks you all about how the states got their shape.
Speaker 2: And I think that's also a like a TV s. It was on the History Channel. It was I don't know which came first? Do we all have answers?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: We flip our cards over.
Speaker 1: One second, I drop my on the crack.
Speaker 2: Steve says Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Chile says Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia. Janni says Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas. Clay Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas. Princes Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas. Gallas says Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi. The correct answers are Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Why did you doing it out of order? I could see doing it west to east or east to west, but I don't get the hole jumping around.
Speaker 2: I'm reading them as you have them on the card. It's easier, familiar answer.
Speaker 1: You even jumped around, Buddy.
Speaker 2: Well, I read those. I read those in the.
Speaker 1: Order of their admission into the Union.
Speaker 2: The length, the length of the coach line, which is my funipe.
Speaker 1: All the way around. So Steve, that's that's the.
Speaker 2: Last craft Brent and Cal got that one right.
Speaker 1: That's crafty.
Speaker 2: So Louisiana has According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the shoreline knowledges of these five states are as follows Louisiana seven thousand, seven hundred twenty one, Florida five thousand, ninety five, Texas three thousand, three hundred and fifty nine, Alabama six hundred and seven, and Mississippi three hundred and twenty nine.
Speaker 3: What I don't understand is how Louisiana has seven thousand miles of coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, isn't it. Now.
Speaker 2: There's there's different ways you can measure it depending on title inlets, and so I think this. I think like, if you're measuring it based on title inlets and what's touching water, then that's that's how you get that high number. But if you're d on a line around the edge of the body of water, there's something called a shoreline paradox, which is that there's no real way to measure coastline. Really, that's that's a that's a man who's right there. That's it. That's a man explaining something he doesn't know much about. We are now halfway through our game of trivia. Phil I will update the scoreboard here as our official scorekeeper for today. In last place, we have Chili with one We have a three way tie for third with Giannie, Clay and Cal with three points apiece. We have Brent and Steve in a two way tie for first with four points apiece.
Speaker 6: Anybody's game?
Speaker 2: Shall we continue on with this game of trivia? Questions six? What four letter term? And I will I will specify that's a plural term. What four letter plural term refers to the bony or soft spines that support the membranes of a fish's fin.
Speaker 1: Hunt It's it again, what I got confused about the whole plural and not plural thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to just what four letter term refers to the bony or soft spines that support the membranes of a fish's fin. Hmmm, yeah, anybody need that one again?
Speaker 5: Like this one?
Speaker 2: Four letters, four letters plural. Let's see there, See, I knew i'd win you over.
Speaker 7: And Randall, they're twenty Let's do some quick statistical four letter term and that's a plural term refers to the bony or soft spines that support the membranes of a fish's fin.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, guys, there's twenty six letters in the alphabet, and how many options are Yeah, like, so statistically say if we just and we assume it's plural since they gave that in the questions, so we know it ends in an S. So we're okay.
Speaker 1: I tell you, guys, the world, what's that.
Speaker 2: Shoreline paradox?
Speaker 1: No? So I went, uh skry diving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's subjective. I just want to tell you right now.
Speaker 1: No, hear me out.
Speaker 5: There's hard math problems for math people. There's hard math problems for me. Very different things.
Speaker 1: This is the hardest one though, Okay, Let's say you have you're a skydiver, and you have two parachutes, you got your main shoot in your reserve choote, and there's a one in blank. Okay, I don't know what. I can't remember what the numbers. Let's say there's a one in four thousand that your main shoot will fail, and there's a one in four thousand that your secondary shoot will fail. How would you ever figure out what the odds are that those one in four thousand and one in four thousand would intersect. You don't need to answer that. That is a hard math problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go on, I'm sure someone will write it. Someone tell us that it's not.
Speaker 1: Someone that already has figured it out.
Speaker 2: I think I know the answer, but I don't want to get into it.
Speaker 1: There's someone that's already figured it out. Do we have our anemi?
Speaker 5: Blood pressure started going up. We've out the time he got to the second shoot.
Speaker 2: Those cards, Steve says, raise Chili, Steve says, Gianna says tits, Oh my god. Clay says bus, those are not the three. I know you're just going for rand Brand says Fins, and col says rais. The correct answer is rais Chili. Nice work, Steve, cal and Chili. Steve, who is and Chili?
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: To count the rays on a fish fin, you should count the base of the fin as the rays branch out away from the body. The last two rays coming from the body are often counted as one because they may sprout from a single place under the surface. Rays are not connected to the spine and are controlled by the muscles to which they're attached.
Speaker 1: Did not know that?
Speaker 3: Did you get right?
Speaker 1: Right? No? Oh? I knew that.
Speaker 2: I didn't what question seven?
Speaker 1: So did Chili? I didn't know that. I knew the answer. I didn't know I didn't know that little tidbit that I'm trying to think of. When you clean the fish. Yeah yeah, yeah, when the backbone falls apart, it doesn't have that little poop. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What nineteen ninety nine? This is question seven?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety nine film starring Bill Pullman as US Fish and Wildlife Service investigator Jack Wells, depicts the hunt for a giant crocodile that is terrorizing the fictional community of Black Lake, Maine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: What it's a film starring a Fish and Wildlife Service investigator. I feel like it's within the universe. Chilly read the whole thing again. Chili's got it, Chili's got it.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety nine film starring Bill Pullman as US Fish and Wildlife Service investigator Jack Wells depicts the hunt for a giant crocodile that is terrorizing the fictional community of Black Lake, Maine.
Speaker 6: It's a crocodile.
Speaker 2: It's a crocodile.
Speaker 1: Keenest picture everything about how that movie would go. I've never heard that it exists.
Speaker 2: Somebody gets I think you've heard of this one.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: It starts with old Bill Pullman going about his normal routine, goes into the coffee shop.
Speaker 2: After a long crime of seeing the darkest thunderbelly of the world.
Speaker 5: Maybe he just got a road killed deer off the road.
Speaker 7: There's also a quirky scientist who his wife's nicest ship.
Speaker 1: Miss him because he's always working.
Speaker 5: Yes, and then for some reason they have to find a crocodile expert. That's how they always go.
Speaker 1: I picture somebody to find someone find.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet, I bet one of his kids got killed.
Speaker 1: It's a crocodile.
Speaker 2: It's a crocodile terrorizing the fictional community of Black Lake, Maine.
Speaker 5: I'll give you a hint. The first two words are after a while.
Speaker 2: You should know this. I feel like you're not trying.
Speaker 5: Is that not it?
Speaker 2: I can't read the last word.
Speaker 5: I know this film. I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: But are we ready to flip our cards?
Speaker 6: No? And Phil?
Speaker 2: It fills juiced up. Look you feel back there?
Speaker 1: He's excited, Steve, Steve.
Speaker 2: Says croc Chili says Lake Placid. Gianna says crocs Let's just continue. Uh well, Steve, that's what Clay says after a crocodile in Maine. Brent says crosilla. Cal says what lies beneath.
Speaker 5: So here's the deal. There is an alligator, crocodile.
Speaker 2: Movie does star Billy us, fish and wildlife.
Speaker 5: The name of the lake, which the name of the lake in that movie is Lake Placid.
Speaker 2: The fictional community of Black Lake, Maine. What's the answer is Lake Placid? What the hell they call it.
Speaker 3: The Lake Placid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: It's a nicely done chili. Let me add that one to the total. Well, it's it's sort of a haunting. It's sort of a haunting name and it also is sort of ironic because it's not a calm one.
Speaker 1: It's about a shark. It's killing everyone in the Atlantic Ocean. The name of the movie the Pacific wouldn't It's.
Speaker 5: Like expectations for give me a question again. I'm so confused.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety nine film starring Bill Pullman as US Fish and Wildlife Service investigator Jack Wells, depicts the hunt for a giant crocodile that is terrorizing the fictional community of Black Lake, Maine.
Speaker 3: I mean they live in black like but blake Plaid.
Speaker 2: Classid was among several campy nineties creature features, including Deep Blue Sea and Anaconda. Betty White steals the show as the foulmouth Dolores Bickerman, an eccentric local who, it is revealed, has been secretly feeding the creature cows for years. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times game that gave the film one out of four stars, describing it as quote completely wrongheaded from beginning to end.
Speaker 1: The woman's name is Bickerman. Yes, in the Simpsons the Principles, mister Bitterman.
Speaker 5: So what you're saying is Lake Placid isn't the name of any lake in this fictional world.
Speaker 3: That's the stupidest question.
Speaker 5: That is a Yeah, that was so misleading.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a question about an investigation of animal. It's a movie about animals attacking people and the investigators from the Fish and Wildlife Service. I feel like that's a squarely spencer with them.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, spencer. What makes it dumb? Is the answer? Good job chili question, Good job chili question eight. Yeah, had you said name this movie that has this?
Speaker 2: I feel like I gave you the name of the main character the plot of the movie, but.
Speaker 5: Then you literally said the name of the lake, which I said.
Speaker 2: The community of Black Lake, Maine.
Speaker 5: You said Lake Plaid in New York.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a lake in the same region. Question eight. The Casian term for what flowering plant.
Speaker 5: You don't handle being battered this well.
Speaker 2: I think that was a perfectly worded question about something that you didn't know much about. I believe What Lies Beneath is a movie about ghosts.
Speaker 5: We can talk about it later.
Speaker 2: The Cajun term for what flowering plant native to East Africa and sometimes called ladies fingers due to the shape of its long, slender seed pods, gives its name to the dish of gumbo. The Cajun term for what flowering plant, native to East Africa and sometimes called lady's fingers due to the shape of its long, slender seed pods, gives gumbo its name.
Speaker 1: I need to look at this question. Try to say it like six more times. I'll rephrase it please.
Speaker 2: The Casuan term for what flowering plant gives gumbo its name. Hint. This plant is native to East Africa and sometimes is called ladies fingers due to the shape of its long, slender seed pods.
Speaker 1: One more time.
Speaker 2: Gumbo okay takes its name from the Casian term for a flowering plant that is native to East Africa and sometimes called lady's fingers due to the shape of the long, slender seed pods.
Speaker 1: We need to know the name of this plant plant.
Speaker 2: The Casun term for what flowering plant gives gumbo its name. Hint. The plant is native to East Africa and sometimes is called lady's fingers due to the shape of its long, slender seed pods.
Speaker 5: And no matter what you do with gumbo, there is a plant that.
Speaker 2: Is native to East Africa. It is sometimes called lady's fingers due to the shape of its long, slender seed pods. The Casion term for this plant gives gumbo its name. What is the name of the plant?
Speaker 6: Is this plant used in gumbo?
Speaker 1: Objection?
Speaker 3: Did you just do a slight nod?
Speaker 1: He did? Objection?
Speaker 3: Did he did?
Speaker 1: Like a quarter inch nod? Like a quarter in secret?
Speaker 6: Nod? You over here writing answers on Chili's.
Speaker 1: Like now and then.
Speaker 6: If he answers my hint. Everybody gets the hint we do.
Speaker 2: We all have answers here. Oh no, there's a lot happening. Why don't we flip our cards over here? Steve says Okra, Chili sort of waves. Gianna says Okra, Clay says Okra, Brent says Okra, and Calusa's sassafras. The correct answer is Okra.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The what threw me off, though, is that that's not a Cajun Is that a Cajun name?
Speaker 2: What's the Ocasion name for Okrah is gombo?
Speaker 6: G See?
Speaker 1: I thought you were looking for that, Like, I got it right?
Speaker 6: Cool?
Speaker 2: The Cajun term, it was poorly crafted. Here, the Cajun term for Okrah gives gumbo its name. Yeah, does that make sense? It was a great question. Question, is the plant gives gumbo its name?
Speaker 1: Question? Great question, great subject. It was very poor really worded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and coming off the back of that other one.
Speaker 1: Which is just a dumb question. So here's a dumb question. Then was a good question. Poorly worded the.
Speaker 5: Question, Randall, how did you give so much sun today?
Speaker 2: The casion term for what flowering plant gives gumbo its name, okra is a Cajun term. I'm sorry, gumbo is the.
Speaker 1: Exactly he got his wrong. He got his own questions.
Speaker 2: I've had to rephrase this question five times.
Speaker 1: You all got it, You all got it.
Speaker 3: You know how Randall wrote that question.
Speaker 1: He wrote it out on a piece of paper, and then tore each word out and then put it in a bowl and stirred them up, and then put the words back, and then wrote all those words down on his computer.
Speaker 2: Gombo is the Cajun term for okra. It comes from the word gombo in the Bombara language spoken by many of the enslaved people in Louisiana. Other African languages have similar terms for the plant, which serves as a thickening agent in a many Gumbo residents.
Speaker 1: What is spence? What exactly is? Why is Spencer not here.
Speaker 5: So Cajun Uh, Cajun folks are no Okra? Then is it creole or pro Okra and Cajun folks are are opposite?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know, well.
Speaker 2: Right, right, but it's not the Cajun term. Yeah, we've got two questions left in our game of trivia.
Speaker 5: If anybody can understand them.
Speaker 2: I think you're being obtuse.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't even know now if I wrote down that you were badgering me so much. These guys all got it right, Not so Steve did not you have six points or seven?
Speaker 1: Well, don't ask him.
Speaker 2: I got a what I'm trying to do a lot here? Brent you got it? Clay, you got it?
Speaker 6: What happened to your normal score?
Speaker 2: He doesn't have a headset.
Speaker 1: In the same movie. I've been only watching Brent and I should have pulled out in lead Steve.
Speaker 2: Yes, Steve, I believe you have seven points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe I pulled out in the league because he he faltered. Yes on the on the fish fan.
Speaker 2: Chile has three points, Cal has four points, Jannie, Clay and Brent have five, and Steve has seven. That doesn't sound right now, Steve I should have by one. Brent has six, Steve has seven. Question nine, which sitting American President undertook an eleven day fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico while in office, setting out from New Orleans on April twenty ninth, nineteen thirty seven, and wrapping up in Galveston, Texas on May eleventh. Which sitting American President undertook an eleven day fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, setting out from New Orleans on April twenty ninth, nineteen thirty seven, and wrapping up in Gableston, Texas on May eleventh. Oh, we ran out of our ticker O shoot again more ticker which sitting American president undertook an eleven day fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico while in office, setting out from New Orleans on April twenty ninth, nineteen thirty seven, and wrapping up in Gableston, Texas on May eleventh.
Speaker 1: Give me a minute.
Speaker 5: This is really showing a gap in my presidents here.
Speaker 3: God just whomp. I know what you're thinking, Steve, but doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's enough, you know what, Brent, I don't have any Yeah, I think I do. I think I do. I mean, yeah, well you have our answers. M.
Speaker 2: I can reword the question if you'd.
Speaker 1: Like somehow interject. No, that's a great question, well worded. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was pleased with this one.
Speaker 1: That's well crafted.
Speaker 2: It's sort of fun too, because it's not really a hunting and fishing question, but it expands your understanding, but it doesn't require it doesn't require specialized.
Speaker 1: That's too much hand. I should change my answer.
Speaker 2: It's a dude, are we ready here? Flip your cards?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, oh sorry?
Speaker 1: What's he? What's he got going on over there?
Speaker 2: Steve says FDR. Chili waves off. Jannis says Cleveland, Clay says FDR. Brent says FDR, and Cal says Cleveland. The correct answer is Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Speaker 1: He was he was wheelchair bomb.
Speaker 2: But he spent a lot of time fishing while he was president.
Speaker 1: Is yet, did you have polio? Yeah?
Speaker 2: FDR was a passionate angler, and when he first ran in nineteen thirty two against the incumbent Herbert Hoover, the humorist Will Rogers equipped that the election quote will be settled on fish, setting aside economic policy and the Great Depression. Rodgers wrote that voters faced a clear choice between the two candidates. Quote, do you want a deep sea fisherman in the White House flounders and cod meaning Roosevelt, or a big trout and perchman like Hoover kind of So I would have probably said, well, probably Hoover. Yeah, I'd been I'd like a trout and person.
Speaker 5: Joh.
Speaker 3: Would you like to know how I knew that one because.
Speaker 1: He was president in thirty seven?
Speaker 2: Well, but yeah, but what confirmed that about the Great Depression in World War Well.
Speaker 3: What confirmed it for me was the Flood Control Acts of nineteen thirty eight put in effect by Roosevelt, where the basically started the whole process of the Army Corps of Engineers having this like incredible amount of power and damning all the rivers.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that he presided over the country during the Great Depression in the beginning of World War Two.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, it was, That's just what I remember. It was the Flood Control Act of nineteen thirty eight, which was spawned from the Great Misisippi River flood of nineteen twenty seven, that shifted the course of America. But anyway, and we're sitting on that river right now.
Speaker 5: Happened to be happened to be far better method than your random alphabet letters.
Speaker 1: A chance I know which is three?
Speaker 2: Now, Before we move on to our final question, here's a quick recap of our answers so far for the listeners at home. Question one four percent, question two, p ROW question three, PENN question four three, Question five, Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi Question six, Rays, question seven, Lake Placid, Question eight, OKRA, question nine, FDR question ten. Name three of the five largest tributaries of the Mississippi River measured by volume of input.
Speaker 1: Tell me that one again.
Speaker 2: Name three of the five largest tributaries of the Mississippi River measured by volume of input hm hm, excluding the Upper Mississippi because I'm dis counting that as the Mississippi, if that makes sense. So we're looking for three of the five largest tributaries of the Mississippi River measured by volume of input.
Speaker 1: It's a couple of chip shots near and then it gets a little tricky.
Speaker 2: That's why it's fun.
Speaker 3: If y'all listen to the four part burgery series on the Mississippi River. I did two years ago.
Speaker 1: I participated in that and then I can't remember it. Hmm.
Speaker 2: Name three of the five largest tributaries of the Mississippi River measured by volume of input.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 6: Damn, let's suit you.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna change your answer. I'm gonna show my card and then he's gonna change his answer. I could be wrong. I'm confident on two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I saw what you got.
Speaker 2: I like what you got. And I think at this point Steve still has a one point lead.
Speaker 1: No matter what if I falter, I'm still good. But I don't know unless.
Speaker 2: Like you falter, but Brent gets it right. I think we move on to a tiebreaker.
Speaker 1: Do we remember if I falter and he gets it right.
Speaker 2: I believe you have a one point lead on Brent.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: That's the pressure.
Speaker 2: How's Chili doing?
Speaker 1: Suit? You got? Come on, let me suit? You got what I'm gonna change? In mind?
Speaker 3: Real cheating That means Steve loses. What are the consequences of that? Oh listen, man, I'm not gonna I'm not.
Speaker 5: You can.
Speaker 2: What if what if you have? Do you have your three brands?
Speaker 1: I've got two. You're you're on the path that you're on the path. You got one more, very obvious one you need to put down, Steve.
Speaker 3: But if you're a criminal, you kind of know what you're up against, like like you know what the charges are, so you wig if it's worth it or not.
Speaker 1: You get again, what did you put again? I'm not haven't sure anybody what I put. I know just is that has everyone done on want flash it.
Speaker 2: Real needs Brent needs one more answer here that.
Speaker 1: That is the river he wrote down. Oh hi, Ryan, I got all again in the Mohakan mohagann ale again in the Monoga Heela, don't even come together.
Speaker 2: You got to come with the third one here to look together. Can't fly the white climb is he is?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 1: That's what forms what you need to write. Now. I've already got that one that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to encourage him, but I I don't. I don't want him to just give up.
Speaker 1: It's it was known for a long time as the dark and bloody river. This is I'm ready, all right.
Speaker 2: Why don't we flip those cards over? Steve says, the Missouri, the Ohio, the Illinois. Okay, okay, okay, Chili says the Missouri and the Illinois. Gianna says the Missouri, the Illinois, and the Ohio. Clay says the Missouri, the Ohio and the Arkansas. Brent says the Missouri, the Ohio, and the Arkansas.
Speaker 5: I'm too embarrassed.
Speaker 3: And Rita, would you say.
Speaker 5: I'm just over thinking.
Speaker 2: The answer is the Missouri.
Speaker 5: I had, the Arkansas, the Ohio and the Cumberland.
Speaker 2: The Missouri, the Ohio, the Arkansas, the White and the Red. Damnit you gotta.
Speaker 5: I did right down the White River too.
Speaker 1: Can we go back and check and make sure he did, in fact tie up with me. We'd have to go back to the tape.
Speaker 2: The I mean so, so, Brent, tally up your right answers here, and Steve, you tell your answers. Question one four percent, Question two, I can't remember you did not you got wrong? Frank got that p rogue Penn three Elton, Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Rais Lake Placid. Mm hmm oh fdr. And then this last question Missouri, Ohio, Arkansas, White and Red.
Speaker 1: What do you got brown? I got seven? I got seven? O t breakoy.
Speaker 2: Now for our tiebreaker, what does what does the Illinois do does the Ohio pick up the Illinois or something? So the Illinois, the Illinois is the next one down?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Does it go something like toy breaker?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I didn't beat him in regular I'll beat him in overtime. I don't care. Tiebreaker.
Speaker 2: According to the World Wildlife Foundation, what percentage of shrimp produced globally are farm raised?
Speaker 1: You gotta do a different one because I already know this, But I mean I just learned it. Ye ye, all right, but I feel like you just told me this a minute. I think I was present when he learned this. I've got another one, just a little bit unfair.
Speaker 3: He was really honest.
Speaker 1: School. Let's run with it.
Speaker 2: Wait, tie breaker, tie breaker, There we go, the two twenties.
Speaker 1: It's sixty five, right, did't we just learned this?
Speaker 3: That's fifty five?
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, I would Wow, that was.
Speaker 3: The most chival chivalrous thing I've seen, Steve.
Speaker 2: The two twenty Swift remains the fastest commercially produced center fire rifles cartridge. How fast did the original factory load from Winchester push a forty eight grain bullet?
Speaker 3: Closest closest one gets the closest closest to the and we're just going to a no decimal points straight feet per second.
Speaker 2: The two twenty swift remains the fastest commercially produced center fire rifle cartridge. How fast did the original factory load from Winchester push a forty eight grain bullet?
Speaker 1: How fast to be?
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what he's.
Speaker 2: Building out the parameters.
Speaker 1: How fast could it be? How fast couldn't it be? Like what's work from there? I know what it couldn't be. What are you putting down, Brent? I'll tell you in a minute.
Speaker 2: Do we all have answers?
Speaker 6: Oh? I guess I'll write one down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a little.
Speaker 3: Over, I think, but let me change mine little.
Speaker 1: The original.
Speaker 2: How fast the original factory load, the original commercial factory load push a forty green.
Speaker 1: Buddy, I'm changing it again. Okay, I'm settled.
Speaker 2: Yes, have final answers here now, all right, flip them over. I'll read our final contestants last. Cal says forty nine to eighty, Chili says thirty seven hundred, Gianni says thirty four p fifty, Clay says thirty five hundred, and our final two contestants Steve says forty five hundred and Brent says twenty five hundred.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is forty one hundred feet per second, making Steve our winner.
Speaker 6: A damn you go over.
Speaker 1: The two twenty Swift U one okay.
Speaker 2: The two twenty Swift is the first commercially available rifle cartridge to break the four thousand foot per second mark. A prototype was developed in nineteen thirty four by a man named Gross Venora Watkins, who necked down the two fifty three thousand Savage, and the two twenty Swift was developed by Winchester and introduced in nineteen thirty five as a new caliber for their model fifty four Boltech rifle. Steve, you are our champion of today's trivia game to which worthy cause would you like to donate your five hundred dollars prize.
Speaker 1: I want my money to go to Meat Eater's land access initiatives. I've been I've had, I haven't been to pay attention to it lately because I had I've been working on a thing that's taking all my time up.
Speaker 2: So this is a way of assuaging your conscience. Yes, all right, five hundred dollars to Meat Eaters Land Access Initiative. Gentlemen, thanks for playing.
Speaker 1: Thanks for good job, Chili says, goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 6: I had a great time.
Speaker 3: Beach next time, is what Chili said.
Speaker 8: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. He's an avid amateur lock how