Speaker 1: I Am all in again. Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Am all in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome to a very special episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with my Solfatara and Suzanne. Hello, Hi, we are Okay, I'm gonna set the scene as a group of people walk by us up holding a microphone. We are in the parking lot of the Dolby Theater after attending the Pailey Fest of Amy Sherman Palady Knows Multiverse.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're sitting in my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in Suzanne's car. Yeah, this is This is actually pretty funny. I've never done a podcast were board. I know, we really should, we really should. So we are in Hollywood, California. We just attended Pailey Fest. O Susan Saga selfie And for people who don't know what Pailey Fest is, it's this really cool event put on once a year by the Paley Center and they bring out some of the actors of your favorite shows, like this year they did Severance, Hacks, Handmaid's Handmaid's Tale, and the final night tonight was Amy Sherman Paladin Knows Multiverse, which includes Gilmore Girls, The Marvelous Missus Maisel, and her latest show or the upcoming show is Tall at Twall, And they touched on bun Heads, and they touched on bun Heads because it was Lauren Graham, Emily Bishop, I'm sorry, Kelly Fish mixing of her names Kelly. It was a lot of information and I was just like on the edge of my seat the whole night. And then we had Rachel and Alex from Bunheads as well as Luke, and then the two lead actresses from Eatoll Suzanne. Yes, when they did that sizzle reel, and oh, by the way, Amy and Dan were there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot. I shouldn't leave them out.
Speaker 2: But when they showed that sizzle reel in the very beginning, I wanted to I kind of want to cry.
Speaker 1: I that was awesome. It was so what it was. If you are not familiar with the term sizzle reel, it's kind of like a highlight reel, and it they hit the highlights of all of her big shows, including a few scenes from Roseanne. Yeah, which I don't think I knew. Yeah, I knew if that was her first job. I didn't know, like specifically what she wrote within the show. But I remember, like I watched Roseanne with my mom in high school, so I enjoyed that. But yeah, it was basically like a highlight of her whole career and it was amazing. And I remember I was watching and thinking, I hope they like released this somehow so that we could like watch it, because it was really good.
Speaker 2: I did. I got in trouble, but I did sneak a couple of videos from the panel. Well whatever I got. I got some videos. I'm sure people up in the back they were not whatever, It's fine. Yeah, and then they brought out everyone. It was a giant panel. I think roughly the whole panel was about an hour and thirty forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be honest with you, Like I turned to Suzanne at the end, I was like, I could have sat here for five more hours. Like Amy is She's an icon, Like I don't even know how else to put it. She is everything you would have imagined as a person of Like if you love Gilmore, if you love Mazel, if you love butN Heads, like she is all that love and magic in one human being. Yeah, and it's so cool to watch her, like I can just it's so funny because she was talking about out that with one of the girls from her latest show who speaks barely in English, she speaks French. She's like, oh, I would just talk to her like and talk at her basically, and she didn't know what I was saying. And I'm like, in that moment, I was like, I would kind of like, I think it's my new dream to just have like Amy Sheirympella, you know, just talk to me for like five hours. And she could just say she could read the like dictionary what, I don't care what it is. Like, I just wanted to like be in her presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was so good. And one thing I loved was she mentioned she mentioned her mom, ye, and oh my gosh, her mom has done you. Everyone probably knows her mom has done a few bit roles in Gilmore and she mentioned her being in the audience that night, and so so they they said, you know, where is she? And so she stands up and she's wearing like this, it's a puffer jacket.
Speaker 2: But it was it's flee bit dazzled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was insane, and she's waving and she's trying to yell stuff from the audience, and no one can hear her. Amy keeps saying, we can't hear you, and then so finally, like the whole audience quiets down and her mom heels out.
Speaker 2: I hope this pays off, because she had also said that, like, my mom still wishes I was like a ballerina basically, right.
Speaker 1: Because she started out as a dancer. Yeah, and yeah, was not like kind of veered off into writing.
Speaker 2: And you know, I have to say, like I love her relationship and like the vibe between her and Dan, Yes, like Dan just lets her be who she is and it's so exciting to watch and just it's kind of Luke and Lorelai. Yeah, yeah, you know what, You're right, it really is. She is Lorlai. And at one point she did say in the panel, she was like, I'm Lauren is basically me. Yeah, so like they're like long lost twins.
Speaker 1: She said they were like twins. And what did she say, Lauren got the beauty and the brains or something.
Speaker 2: She said, Lauren got the beauty and brains and then like Amy got everything else.
Speaker 1: And then she she compared it to that movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito.
Speaker 2: Oh, Yeah, oh it was.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was a great panel, very informative, Like, you know, we learned some new things. One thing that I did not know talking about bun Heads. So Kelly Bishop was in Bunheads. I didn't realize she wasn't in the pilot. They shot the pilot with some other actress and Amy just conveniently didn't tell the network that she was going to swap the actors out, and so when they when Kelly Bishop was freed up to do it, then they reshot the pilot. So I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know it. I you know, I know Amy and Amy and Danielle on our show. They just finished watching bun Heads. But it made me really want like this whole Okay, I know we're rewatching Gilmore Girls, we rewatch all the time. This panel tonight made me want to just go home and watch everything that Amy's ever worked on, like and not sleep for the next week. Like I'm like, I just need to catch up on my Amy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm definitely gonna watch Mazel. I think I've mentioned it on the podcast before. I've watched the first season, but I didn't see the rest of it. I definitely want to rewatch it now. I really loved Rachel, like she seemed like such a genuine person. Yeah, and of course Alex Borstein, like she's completely amazing. So yeah, really I want to see all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've watched all of Mazel. I think I kind of fell off the last season because with the pandemic, everything just got kind of delayed. And I remember, like I don't know, I kind of like forgot when it came out, to be honest with you, but I remember when Mazel came out like every year, and I remember it was always near Christmas, if I remember correctly, and I would just sit there and binge it because it would come out like all TYD episodes at once the whole weekend, like let's do it. But yeah, it makes me really want to go back and see it. And also this I know, sorry we're jumping around. We're just like I feel like by the way Say and I were walking out and I started to saying, I'm like, I'm really trying not to talk to you right now because like I just have to say everything on the podcast. Yeah, but it this panel made me really, really really excited for the new show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Unique is in it. Also, yes, they didn't mentioned, but they didn't mention, but people around us started freaking out because I don't think they saw the trailer before, and they're like, oh my god, it's Michelle. Yeah. So if you didn't see the trailer, it came out this week, you can google it and find it. It looks like it's going to be really good. It's gonna yeah Prime April twenty fourth, I think they said yes.
Speaker 2: And they shot the whole thing in France. Yeah. Which something that was really interesting that they said was Warner Brothers gave them no money and I thought I was cracking up at how much. Okay, So just so you know that I know we're picky. I'm like, oh, that's the freeway in Burbank, California. Literally, Amy on stage night made a reference. She's like, I had no money, So Lauren was just walking in circles in Bourbank, California, and the mountains behind it made it. We said it's Connecticut and just called it a day. And I'm like, that's exactly. I feel so validated, Like I felt so validated that she was like, oh, we just made Lauren walk in circles in Burbank.
Speaker 1: That's why they walked around the square so much, because they couldn't afford to walk anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then she said with Masiel, they had a budget and obviously, you know, so much money. And then it made me think like that now they had a budget to go all the way to France. So I can't even imagine what it's gonna look like with this budget in France.
Speaker 1: And and that trailer. It looks like a movie, a movie. It doesn't look like a TV show. It absolutely looks like a film. So I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be really And we watched it like they played the trailer for us again, like on this big screen, and it was kind of like I was like, Oh, I could sit in like a theater.
Speaker 1: And watch this. Yeah, absolutely, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: I know Suzanne had some notes. I saw her like taking notes on her I was.
Speaker 1: Frantically taking notes on my phone during it. Let's see what else did I want to say? Oh? One thing I thought was cute. They talked about when she pitched Gilmore Girls, so she actually didn't pitch it to Warner Brothers. The studio she pitched it to WB the network, and she actually was in the room to pitch something else, which she didn't really elaborate on what that was, but she could tell the people that were listening to her presentation weren't really paying attention to her. And they said at the end, they're like, well, do you have anything else? And she says, well, there's a thing about mothers and daughters and their friends and whatever, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't really have a mother daughter relationship, they're more like friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then the network was like, okay, well we'll take that, and so she walked out of the room. But she didn't have Gilmore Girls. Like that idea just like had come to, you know, into her head, and so they had to That was when they then went to Connecticut and kind of created the whole like what is this show going to be? Yeah, and that's how they came up with Gilmore Girls. So it wasn't even like she pitched Gilmore Girls. It was like the afterthought.
Speaker 2: And I think Dan at that point or someone maybe it was the person moderating it was like that doesn't happen these days, like you have to have it fleshed out. But I think there's a magic to that of it was so like effortless, literally and it became this whole world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: A cool story here. There's she had so many stories and I'm like, I know you mentioned earlier we were like, I want to like rewatch this, like I wish this was Like, I don't know if it's out the public, I don't know maybe if, like I know, you can become a paiy member, so I don't know if like pale members get access like rewatching these. I'm sure they have like archives, And I would literally pay to go back and watch this because I was like, there's so much I want to talk about on the podcast, but obviously we don't. Yeah, have all the time in the world.
Speaker 1: Right right. It was it was so good and it was what else did I oh? One, they took two audience questions that were pre screened, so it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, the mic in the audi wich I'd like to I like to preface. I turned to Suzanne and I went because I've been to many Paley Fests for Grades Anatomy and nine one one, and all these shows. They used to literally set up microphones in the Dolby theater, and then people would like basically run to the mics to ask questions, and it was the most annoying questions like can I take a selfie? That's not a question, you know what I mean? Like, but these two questions were really, really great.
Speaker 1: So the first question was specifically about Gilmore girls, and so that's that's why I wrote it down so I could tell you guys. She asked Amy what her Ironically, of the two questions, this question came from the person that happened to be sitting next to me. Yeah, yeah, which was funny because there's thousands of people in this theater. Yeah. She asked what Amy what her favorite pop culture reference was in the show, which was a great question.
Speaker 2: I literally was like, I feel like this was made for us to talk about it on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now I have to admit I don't know what this reference is, so I'm gonna have to google it.
Speaker 2: By on the next town meeting, we'll we'll talk about it, Yeah, because I needed to dig because I actually don't remember. It was a Chilton scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, so probably say it now. Should I keep it a secret until our next town meeting? Yeah, because I feel like we we'll look it up, or should I say it? You could just say who it was about. Because Amy didn't really fully give it away. She also like, she's like, I can't remember, but she couldn't remember the context, but it was a reference to Oscar levant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all we'll say, and then Susan and I will research this get back to you because I was like, but then again, like most of the pop culture reference, not most half of them, they like completely like just went like right over my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot that I don't get. So I'm like, it.
Speaker 2: Could have we could have already watched it for all I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I don't specifically remember.
Speaker 2: She did make a joke and she was like, there are six gay men who were waiting for that joke, and I was trying to please them. And I'm like, you know what Amy's won for the people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so we'll figure that one out. And then the second question I didn't write it down, but it was basically asking her how her writing is. Does she have the same writing process for all of her shows or did the process change from show to show to show? And I did like Amy's answer, She said, you know, your process is your process, but you really have to mold it around the actors that you're working with. So it's basically like you have a framework, but you have to customize it for each each show.
Speaker 2: Honestly, and like, I mean, I'm not a writer, so I especially a TV writer, so I didn't ever thought about that. And then when she said, like it was so funny. She was like for Lauren, like there are these little things and she kind of did these like hand gestures and I was like, wow, that is literally like Laura. And then she she didn't really give an example for Kelly, but I feel like Kelly is Kelly, so you know, writing for her, yeah, And then she said for like, you know, for Rachel, she came in with like a notebook of like who her character is and like all these things and recipes and Alex was like just trying to get to the end of the day. And then with the newer girls from the new show, like it was also their quirkiness and and so it's very you know, it made me think during the panel, does Amy have a book that she has Amy ever written a book?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I know that there is a book about her, but she's never written a book herself. She's not that I know of.
Speaker 2: If that, if Amy ever writes a book, if anyone could get this message to Amy, don't know who you are, but if she wrote a thousand page book, I would read every word. Yeah, Like she has stories for day. By the way she on this panel, she spoke the most out of everyone, and I was okay with it. Yeah, yeah, And I think everyone else on stage was okay with it too.
Speaker 1: It was it was great to get a glimpse inside her mind, like she brought us these shows that we all know and love, and it's just amazing to see kind of her inner working. Like it was a privilege. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was also I don't know if you were paying attention with people were walking in, Like everyone had like a little bit of like a Gilmore merch item, like Suzanne came with her really cute that I've never seen a really cute lounge fly that had like ice skates and like her little Lukes yugs and a gazebo. And then I saw a girl with I saw a girl with a jean jacket that said stars Hollow. I saw someone with the Luke's staff shirt that I literally have from the event and then by the way, at the end, we're jumping all around. But at the end we were walking out, I ran into my friend Carly, who I knew, and then she was speaking so girls, like, oh, I think you guys know each other. And she's actually the girl who runs the Gilmore's only Instagram account, so sweet. It was so cool. I was like, we're gonna dmu. So I feel like we should have her on at some point. But it's just really fun to see like this community and like not even just Gilmore, but like Amy Sherman Palladino created a community.
Speaker 1: For people exactly. Yeah, yeah, like it all just came out of her head. Like that just amazes me. I am not a creative person even remotely, so the fact that somebody can just make that up is, Yeah, it just boggles my mind.
Speaker 2: I would like to think I'm creative. I'm definitely the only reason why I say that is because I minored in creative writing. So I would like to think, like, when I minored in creative writing, I always wanted to work in TV. Funny, I ended up not working in TV, but like in my mind, I was like, maybe I can do it, and I didn't go that route, but like then I see the way people think and I'm like, how does your brain work that way? And it's so cool because like we're all we all have our own talents. Like whether it's you know, you're a lawyer, you're a doctor, or you're it doesn't matter what you are, Like everyone has their own quirks and talents, and to see someone else's talent brought to life is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're trying to think do we have any housing little remark.
Speaker 1: I had one fun statistic I wrote down. They said on the at the event tonight that on Netflix. Oh yeah, Gilmore Girls has had just Gilmore Girls has had five hundred million viewing hours. Is that what I typed there? Five hundred million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think they said over they said over five hundred million.
Speaker 1: That's mind boggling.
Speaker 2: And that's like anyone listening to us speak right now, Like I don't think you'd be even tuning into this podcast if you didn't watch the show so like.
Speaker 1: At least three or four times.
Speaker 2: Like the person who's tuning in right now, you are. You are part of the part of the problem. But also I didn't know that you could look up statistically like that on Netflix. Now I'm so curious, like it is Gilmour number one on Netflix? Like I don't know, yeah, I don't know, very curious. I wonder if there's a step you.
Speaker 1: Work for a major media company, you could probably not Netflix.
Speaker 2: So it's it's not Netflix.
Speaker 1: There's gotta be like ratings or something you Yeah, yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, but then it's so funny because I think of like the other shows and like I have my I have like my comfort movies. That's not a show that's I'm like, all right, two hours and we're done. Yeah, And I'm like, how many hours have I put into like some of these movies? Yea, how many hours have we collectively you and I put into Gilmore? Yeah it's yeah, it's certainly true, but I think it was. It was really fun. I'm still cracking up that we're sitting in Suzanne's car, yeah, doing this episode, and I wonder if the people who walk by are really confused, They're like, oh, we've gotten some looks, we've gotten some looks, and be like, oh, that's cute. They're starting a podcast in the car. But I guess also we can kind of tell people. I wonder, Susan and I are going to Connecticut in a couple of weeks. I guess we'll announce it now. I just decided that we are going to a really exciting event revolved around Gilmore Girls, and we're gonna be in the town that was inspired by Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Right, it was was somewhere some close.
Speaker 2: I mean, we both have never been to Connecticut, so that alone will be fun. But so yeah, we'll bring a couple more of these fun little impromptu discussion. Yeah, we could be in a car, we could be not on a plane. I would say not on a plane. We distract everyone and also you probably couldn't hear us. But yeah, we'll have some more fun events. And I think that's all we have for this one.
Speaker 1: So is this where I say meeting adjourned I think so from Suzanne's car meeting adjourned
Speaker 2: Dot Hey, everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.