Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Hey, everybody, welcome back to Are You a Charlotte? We have a special little episode with Adam Scott because we just love him so much and we couldn't stop talking to him. So here's a little extra more time with the lovely Adam Scott.
Speaker 2: That was interesting that you said you and your daughter don't watch that kind of thing like awards shows? Are you just like because I at a certain point I stopped reading entertainment press altogether. I think that's why, like five years ago, because I was like, this never makes me feel good, right, nor is it like super interesting?
Speaker 3: True? So what am I doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I kind of just phased it out and so but it was for my own like mental health definitely, like eight years ago. So yeah, and now I'm not as kind of strict about her or whatever. But I think it's good to if you're in entertainment, sometimes it's good to pull back. So yeah, what's behind that?
Speaker 1: I mean? For me, I think a couple things like when I had watched a lot of craziness go on, like when Sarah Jessca got pregnant, they meaning the paparazzi and or at that time there was no limits on what the magazines were buying and printing, right, Yeah, so they tortured her.
Speaker 3: I mean it was so insane.
Speaker 1: Followed her around, like, followed her, chased her, almost ran her off the road like insanity. Like when they brought James, their first child home, I went to see him and they were in their brownstone in the village. Everyone knew where she lived. We had this one particular crazy paparazzi who I don't want to say his name, but you probably know who would They would sometimes have a battle between the two of them, because the paparazzi would stay with us for the entire day, right like eighteen hours or whatever, hang out, yeah, just eat our craft services, and you know, you'd have to say like could you please get on the shop, you know, like that, And after a while sometimes we'd get tired, you know, and if Sarah was tired or we were trying to learn our lines. The other thing is that like we would be pricing our lines or whatever, and if we frowned, they'd put a picture and be like, Kristin and Sarah are frighting or whatever. Insanity, right, like, you just get so sick of it. So sometimes Sarah would hold her sides up right. That would make him mad. So he would turn to the crowd who was watching and tell her address what I know. I know, I was messed up.
Speaker 3: It was messed up.
Speaker 1: So I was always nicer to him because I was scared, you know what I mean. So when I went to see James.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, I remember when they had their first kid, James. I remember seeing on the news them on their front sight being like here he is.
Speaker 3: It was in front of the hospital, was in front of just like showing them, I know, like a wal off now exactly.
Speaker 1: And they thought that was going to work, and they didn't. She was exhausted and they had to prance themselves out there, and they thought, okay, now the price tag will go from his head, right, No, So I go over there to see the baby. They're up on the top floor of their brownstone. When you would look down, they couldn't drive down the street because it was just like like maybe a hundred paparazzi. Then they rented an apartment in the building across from them to photograph through the windows. Wait, meaning the paparazzi rented. That's how much money they were making photograph.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Right, So I watched all that. Any questions go ahead.
Speaker 2: Now, is that because of social media has a certain fervor died down as far as that stuff goes, because those photos don't have the value they used to.
Speaker 1: And also because like Jennifer Garner and Kristen Bell and Dax went and fought and went to the magazines and said, you guys have to stop buying them. You know, that made a huge difference. And that was when that was after I had adopted my first child. But my whole visual sense of like what that was like my whole goal in my career. I don't know if this is smart, but my goal was to be like moderately famous. You're trying to say, like not even moderately famous, but like moderately successful, and with that comes the moderate fame, right, Yeah, but not to be you know, like I didn't ever want to be show alone.
Speaker 2: That yeah, up close was crazy and that was that like late nineties early thoughts was sort of the peak of that insanity.
Speaker 1: It certainly was. It certainly was, And Sarah was right smack in the middle of it, and it was scary.
Speaker 3: So it scared me a lot.
Speaker 1: So I thought, like on a certain level, I thought like when I first adopted my child, I kept her, you know, hidden in the house for quite some time, Like we would walk her like five in the morning, you know, you have to stroll the baby, right, be up at five in the morning again in the dark. You know. I was really really paranoid because I knew that once they found out that, then my life be stressful, right, And it was. I lived at the end of a cul de sac at the time, and they would just line the street and we would peak out. We would peak out because someone leaked it, right, so they have publicist calls and they're like, they're gonna leak it, so we'd better tell them and try to get the price down, right. So you went through all the nonsense exactly. And I had a nanny, you know, baby nurse with me, and we'd stocked up on food and we were gonna like how long can we hold up, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And then eventually they figured out that I could see them, so they moved down the street and I thought they were gone, so I left. I did not take gema with me the baby I had to do at this point, right, So I leave the house and I'm on the phone with my publicist, you know, and I'm like, I think I'm okay.
Speaker 3: I think I'm okay. And as I get I lived up in the hills.
Speaker 1: As I get down the hill, I realized, no, there's like eight cars trailing me, which is luckily not my normal life, you know, Thank god.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to think of it, because you guys were such a cultural phenomenon for such a such a long period of time. Time Like, that's those are the repercussions of that. That's what happens. It's true, you are It's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: It's one of the repercussions. Yeah, insane, It was insane.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It always scares me, you know, to be chased, like it's weird.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. It's weird to have strangers, you know.
Speaker 1: Like eventually, eventually, like and I would get out and I would joke with them. They followed me for the entire day and I didn't have her with me, and I was like, guys, I don't have the baby, you can go, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean. But they didn't go.
Speaker 1: I think they thought I was just going to find her somewhere, or she was going to show going.
Speaker 3: To the grocery store. I was just outside.
Speaker 1: They would just be sitting there, you know, and then be like, how is it to be a new mom Kristin.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, it's great, Please.
Speaker 1: Go, you know, I mean, you know, it's it's a weird thing. And I think I do think there's cynicism in the world about this, thinking that we all did want this right, you know, because of reality TV and all that. But that didn't exists when we were trying to get work. It was not part of the equation. But we are obviously very rewarded as well. So I don't mean to complain.
Speaker 3: But it was here.
Speaker 2: But I think it was also a very specific time time, and you guys were in a very specific circumstances because you were on this particular show that struck a particular chord.
Speaker 3: Everyone was fascinated with everything you guys were doing.
Speaker 1: It's true, and I mean, in a way, that's amazing. And I did have a friend who was on a different show. I don't feel like I should name him, but he was on a different show that had that level and they followed him around and everything, and then he the show ended, and I remember him saying to me and not they stopped following him because then he got married and had kids and they went through that. But he did say after a few years, he said, you know, the thing that's important to remember is that this is a moment in time. It's not going to go on forever. And that's you don't feel that when you're being chased, but you do have to go like, this is a moment in time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's not going to go on.
Speaker 1: Forever, and they're not going to hurt me. You know, you have to like have a whole talk with yourself. And of course obviously they didn't hurt me and some of the organizer than others.
Speaker 2: And did you did you have a good therapist? And because I would know, I'm serious, like I would imagine it was.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: I did have a good therapist for a long time, and then once once I adopted my daughter, then like you don't have time for your own therapy, But not to say that I didn't need it, you know what I mean. Back to your question, I think that was part of how I decided, Like you know, let's close out some of that stuff in the house, right, Like, let's not let it kind of come in as much. And I think I was much more into I didn't really read reviews so much, like people would just tell me about them usually, you know, because you can't really get away from them. But like I would watch ET or whatever, you know, stuff like that because Michael Patrick used to call it our news, like it was our news show, you know, which is now like all of social media is entertainment news. But back then I used to watch stuff like that, And I do think there was a part of me where I was like, I don't want my child to know me as that. Yeah, I just want to have our own bubble as much as we can, you know. And I tried to, like for a long time, like sometimes you know, people would come up to us and say, you know how people talk to you like they know you, and then they'd walk away, and I just try to be really if my daughter and now I have a son too, if they were there, I would just try to like make it as brief as possible and keep going and GENER would just be like, do you know her? They'd be like, no, baby, I don't know her not and they'd be oh. And then one time, this was one of those light bulb moments for her. We were I had an apartment in New York still the show was done. I was there promoting like a Christmas movie or something. It was Thanksgiving. Our apartment was on Central Park West where they would prepare the flow first yeah, for the parade, which is really cool. But we were trying to fly to my mom's on Thanksgiving and the streets were closed, right, so we had to like kind of run through the crowd to get to our car, and all the police were there right with the barricades whatever, and all the police were like, hey, you know, the New York police are like so nice, you know, and so they said let's take every you take a picture and I was like sure, shark, because it's the police, right. And Jama was just standing there like what is going on?
Speaker 3: Like why the police? What the car? It was really weird.
Speaker 1: And then my other really funny moment a similar age. She's like probably seven to eight, right. We were on a plane going somewhere and we're in those first class with a big screen. She's sitting next to me and there's a lady in front watching one of our things, and she leans over and she's like, mom, that lady on the screen looks like you.
Speaker 3: I was like, yes, you know, it is it is me.
Speaker 1: It is me. She's like, whoa what are you doing? And I was like, oh my god, what am I doing? What am I about to do? Like which episode?
Speaker 3: Like what's happening? What's happening?
Speaker 1: And I think it was maybe the first movie. And then I was like, Okay, it's going to be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she had met the others, like socially right, so she was just like, Mommy's on the screen.
Speaker 3: With her friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, which was a great way to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a that's a really nice way to go exactly. Mom and her friends just happened to be very popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they happened to get to work together. How amazing.
Speaker 1: And then as time goes on, obviously you're not able to keep that.
Speaker 3: I remember one time also, this was funny.
Speaker 1: I have my elephant charity, which I mentioned to you earlier, and one time they asked Emma at school, you know, everyone's going around seeing what their parents did, and she said, my mommy works for the elephants.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, what are great to think your mom?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean now she knows the truth. But you know what I mean, So I just I just did just Fanny. She's fourteen now and he's seven, and he didn't really get what's his name? His name is Wilson. Yes, very hard to name a boy child. Did you have a hard time naming your We.
Speaker 3: Did, yes, Graham is his name good? It's a good name.
Speaker 1: It's a good name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were we we had a few contenders, but that and I forget what. Well, but where I discovered it came from I think was maybe Graham Chapman from Monty Python, Graham Parsons, but we were never quite sure where it came from.
Speaker 1: Back they just come, they just come. It took me weeks to name my child. My mom was really mad at me.
Speaker 3: They just so much.
Speaker 1: At the beginning, I thought it was after August Wilson. You know, you have these ideas, right, You're like, ex after August Wilson. Well, I don't think.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: He is like a basketball obsessed and he's like, mommy.
Speaker 3: My name is on the basketball and I'm like, oh, there it is. He has not I wanted to. I think it's it's so good if you haven't seen.
Speaker 1: It that while I mean it is so good, it wouldn't hurt his feelings, it, right, Okay, I mean it really gets Tom Hanks through right right.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's great, okay, great, okay, good good good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No he has not he so he hasn't seen. I mean, he was not there. It might be a lot to ask, but he when we did the show, the and just like that, you know, he went, they would come with us in the summer and enjoy, you know, the New York of it all when you're working, which is fun. He was confused, you know. He'd come to work and he knew Michael Patrick by then and he'd be like, you know, there's all this food and snats, and mommy's friends are here. And then when they were promoting it, they put us on the bus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're going to school with it. And he said, mommy, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Why are you and your friends in the bus? Yeah? And I was like, well, remember in New York we were working that that that's it. He was like, oh, but I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't It is so strange.
Speaker 2: I always thought that the main thing that I felt like I wanted to sort of when they were little, protect them from. Was the idea of having to share your yes. Yes, That I think is the thing where it's a little dicey for them. It's like, well, wait a second.
Speaker 3: Definitely you're my dad or definitely yeah.
Speaker 2: And people are coming up for a picture or whatever. Right, it's sort of like you're supposed to you know, that thing when you were a little I remember that feeling of not wanting my mom to go and talk to other kids or were of course, you know whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I try not to, like, if they're there, I just try to have a boundary that I don't take pictures with people. I always feel terribly guilty, but I just feel like it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when they were little, I did the same thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nine years older, my fourteen year old is now hyper aware, like if we're somewhere and there's a group of young women who have figured me out or whatever, she's like, Mom, go that's right, She's like, go, she's so cutely protected, does she?
Speaker 2: Because my kids did the same thing, and then they got to the point where because I always said a note of pictures when they were around, and then they came to a point where they were like, dad, take a picture, they want to a picture. Go and they were like very like they were like my publicist or like they wanted to see the interaction.
Speaker 3: They found it.
Speaker 1: Interesting interesting, Well with severance, it must be because like parks and rec and then and then said, but sever seems like to be like lunatic level fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they they're they're uh, they're very it's a really dedicated. The fans are unbelievably creative. I see the theories, yes, but also that they create a lot of art online and posted on like Instagram and stuff that the drawings and.
Speaker 3: And the videos. Wow, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the fandom around the show has been super interesting, but it's all very intelligent. So it's never gotten to a place it's all it's all really I think. Great, it's a really smart.
Speaker 3: Because the show.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing that's amazing about the success of the show is that it's like way too smart. Like you would never look at that show and think like this is going to be huge, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right right? Yeah it was. Yeah, it was a big surprise. It's amazing. It's amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah,