Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Wednesday in one piece, Actually there's five pieces. It's Fritzy, It's seat, and it's mar Paula yours truly, and then the back room guys as well. Come on in, stay a while if you can. Got a few headlines here, Mavericks at the Lakers, and the Lakers got the win, but the Lakers did not cover. The line was nine and nine. That's all I cared about. It was weird. I wanted to know, like, how inspired were the Lakers going to be and the Mavericks going to LA without Anthony Davis in uniform, and what was Luca going to do? So Luca didn't have a great night shooting, but you know he filled up every other category, had a triple double there. They win one O seven to ninety nine and the line was nine and a half. I just want to see the rest of the season, how much defense they'll play. It's weird to say when you have two of the greatest players with Luca and Lebron, they're going to mesh. They're going to work. They're going to work because Lebron will make this work. He's too talented, too smart to not make this work. But watching last night Luca deferred, you know you wasn't he didn't have a shot, and he wasn't hitting threes. But you know you have a triple double there, and you forget just how great a passer he is. Lebron is an all time great passer, but Luca is really good. It's just when you're scoring thirty three a game, you may not throw, you know, passes to your teammates. You know, as Jordan once said, why would I throw it to you when I have a better chance of making the shot? I mean, he actually did say that about his teammates. Why would I throw it to a wide open Judd Bushler when I might be double teamed. I like my chances better. But you know his fun last night. At one point, Luca mean mugs the Mavericks bench, which I don't understand unless they were chirping at him, but they were all lovey dovey pre game, and I'm, I mean, you want to mean mug, then do that when you go to Dallas in April, and then look for the GM Nico Harrison. If I'm Luca, I look for him and I give him a handshake and say thank you, thank you. You put me in one of the basketball capitals of the world, my brand. I got a chance to be the face of this franchise. It's fun. It's la thank you, thank you. I mean, Dallas is great and maybe that's his lifestyle, but I would be like, thank you. But last night it was fun. It was fun to watch just you know, sort of the I guess the body language going on.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin Nico Harrison was there last night, so maybe he was looking in the direction where Nico man have been sitting. Okay, so I did see him at the game last night. I don't know why he would be there, but hey.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give him credit to be, you know, front and center, like, Okay, yeah, we made this deal and I'm going to sit right here. But if if Luca is singling out the ga and mean mugging, I don't think you need to, like, let me remind you of how great I am. I don't know if Luca needs to do that. Now, you want to do that when you go to Dallas. I get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline, I'm not gonna go too much credit to Nico Harrison. He probably doesn't want to go to home games for a while, and he's like, I'll can hit the road a little bit.
Speaker 5: I want to get away from the home fans. They don't love me right now.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Stat of the Day Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. So we got Play of the Day, poll question, stat of the Day. All of that coming up first hour. Brought to you by the great folks at True Green. They take care of your lawn. It's affordable and they're the official lawn keeper of the PGA Tour. They know a thing or two about making your lawn look like a fair way. Go to truegreen dot com for details on how you can make your lawn look great. Seven to seven, three DP Show operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. NFL Combine going on this week and yesterday. Coaches in GMS they had to answer questions well, they had to answer them in the best way they could answer them without really answering them, and you don't what we're so gullible as his sports society. We're just Jones and for anything, Hey, these coaches are going to talk about their draft, what they're going to do in the draft without really telling you what they're going to do in the draft. Are they gonna talk about the tush push without really saying too much about or maybe a player who may be on the trading block without really saying too much. But we sit there and we eat it all up, scoop it all up.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh my god, that's great.
Speaker 2: But it's one of those if you say, coming up on Sports Center, we'll sit down with Sean McDermott and he'll give his thoughts on the tush push, and then all of a sudden you have a question to Sean, you know, and he'll be like, hey, you know, it's a part of the game and whatever the league does and on whatever. And then you go, okay, alrighty, that was great. Like you don't even lit we're not even listening to the answers as much as the topic. Oh, Like I saw the topic again on Sports Center. Chador senders not throwing at the combine what's it mean for his draft status? Nothing, It doesn't mean anything. He'll do a pro day at Colorado. His dad gets all this attention. The wide receivers who are there at Colorado get some national attention. Come on, the players have the power. It's okay. I mean, I'm surprised when it goes the other way. Cam Ward, I wouldn't be throwing. You want to do something where you know it's a controlled environment, you have your receivers, you get some attention for some players, your coaching stet whatever. But we make it a big deal because we allow it to be a big deal. We click on these stories and it's just silly. And I told you this was going to happen with Shudor Sanders. None of the first round quarterbacks last year threw at the combine. It didn't lead Sports Center. So I know we are gullible, we're easily led. But now there are times when I go, no, you're not going to get me on this one. And I spent eighteen years of my career trying to do this to you, Like, how do we get people to stay at Sports Center? I don't know, come up with a tease coming up on SportsCenter? You won't believe what Charles Barkley just did. And then he didn't do anything you like, I don't know, I didn't see the highlight yet. Yes, buy.
Speaker 4: What I love about the combine is when they ask a real direct question to a GM or coach and he has to ignore it, Like I'll give you example, you be the coach or you be the GM of the How about the Browns? Okay, Andrew Barry? Ye, Andrew Barry, Yes, yes, Paulie Andrew, what's the plan with Nick Chubb? What are you guys going to do to keep him or not keep him? In the off season? Man, do I love that guy? I really do.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, you know when I think of a running back, I think of him, and he's really a special guy. And uh, you know, we we appreciate all the great things that he did for us.
Speaker 5: That said, what are your plans for?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 2: I thought I just said, didn't I just answer that without answering that When they say, man, I really love that guy, that guy's gone gone. Ye. Hey, what do you think of.
Speaker 4: Man when they start prematurely thanking him for everything they've done for a franchise? Okay, how about your Sean McVay. Okay, coach, what's the situation right now with Matthew Stafford and your plans for his future?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, that's a great question, Paul, that really is. It's a great question. Stalling, stalling, stalling. I love him. I mean, you cannot write the history of the Rams without Matthew Stafford. I mean, hall of famer, hall of famer in every sense. Really, well, what are your family? Yeah, I just I love that.
Speaker 5: Guys, real quick, what are your plans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, my plans are to just make sure I appreciate every day, every moment I have with Matthew Stafford, because you know what, he's a special player and uh, you know, on and off the field. Did I mention that? Yeah? And you can't write the history of the Rams? Did I mention that too?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I really love him. Yes, John, It's.
Speaker 6: That tell when they say did when they're talking to past tens as opposed to and what he will be doing in the future. If you're already talking that in the prediate tents, is like that means that kind of closing the chapter.
Speaker 2: On this guy. Yeah, when you give me past tense, it just feels like like Nick Chubb. Let's be honest. Older got injured and maybe not affordable. See ya, that's it. Uh, what are your plans for Miles Garrett? Man? Now, if you say we're not taking phone calls, we don't want to hear from anybody. We are not trading him. We have no plans or no intentions. When you say that, that means you're open for business. They can say all the right things. This is February, late February. Let's wait till we get to April. Let's wait till we get to the draft. Teams are going to do their due diligence on all these draft picks, and then they're going to say, is that guy somebody that we can invest in as a first round pick and we don't have to pay him thirty million dollars? Miles Garrett is going to cost you that and then some and you got to give up draft picks. So I think you got to be fair to the teams in a situation like this. First of all, the GM is not going to tell you anything. Yeah, what do you guys plan on doing with the number one pick? Oh, I'm glad you asked. You know what we're taking Travis Hunter oh, I mean we could take Travis Hunter. Hey, how about And by the way, the NFL won't let you say what you're doing with the top pick, even though you may know who you're taking. Do you plan on playing Travis Hunter at defensive back and or a wide receiver? Well you can say, oh, I mean, if we take him, he's going to be a cornerback and we hope to use him as a wide receiver. But we're so hungry for football. It's only been a couple of weeks removed from the Super Bowl. We're already fixing. I need a fix. But it's still the combine and it takes up a week of our attention because there's nothing really else going on. Yes, Marvin, And.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty about being a sports fan, stuff like the combine in the NFL draft. If you're a fan of a team that's bad, you're thinking to yourself, Art, we can get better next year. So there's always hope no matter how bad your team is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So for the past couple of months, the good teams have been playing, the bad teams are just sitting there going. Let me look at Mel Kuiper's latest mock draft here and see who we're getting because there's hope. You have hope right now in late February, you have hope, free agency coming up in a couple of weeks, the draft coming up, You've got hope. Even off season, the schedule, you got hope. And then all of a sudden reality sets in and it's middle of October and you go, damn, I thought we were going to be good. No, you're the Jets.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paulmy as a Bear fan, my season is February, March, and April.
Speaker 5: That's when I get to talk and chop it up and see what they're doing. Then it goes away.
Speaker 6: Yes, Ton, there's something about that fresh enthusiasm of a new head coach that doesn't have a record of any wins or losses just yet, where this is the time where you can get all excited about things until it starts going off the rails.
Speaker 2: Well it's a honeymoon. Oh she's wonderful. Oh I love her so much. Oh we were inseparable. We can't stand to be apart from one another. Then all of a sudden and starts and then all of a sudden things start to fall apart. Uh, all right, Seaton Poll question today, what are we going to start out with is the NFL combine still useful? Yes or no? It is because of the medicals and the interviews, And I'm going off what you know. My source says that what he gets from being in those interviews when you get the medicals, now you see how hot, you know, tall somebody is, you know how much they weigh. He doesn't get caught up in the forty but he does get He really focuses on the medical and he focuses on the interviewing process.
Speaker 5: Are you a dog or a cat?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, I've asked him. I said, do you ask stupid questions like that? And he goes no, because if I ask you if you would you rather be a dog or a cat? I don't care. I just want to know. Are you a football player? That's that's the most important thing. Are you a football player or a guy who play football? Andrews football players here? I asked Andrew luck that I asked him, and you know what, he he had a long pause because I always felt that he was a guy who was really good at football.
Speaker 5: Still pausing, still thinking, pondering, good question.
Speaker 2: DP, yeahs man, what else do you have there? See?
Speaker 7: I think we're going to combine for our one.
Speaker 6: OK.
Speaker 7: Well, there's another slight tweak on that, which is the NFL combine is great football filler or useless.
Speaker 2: And I still watch, well, I don't watch as much as I once did, but but it's only because I kind of figured out what I need to be aware of instead of gosh, did you see that offensive lineman from Auburn? I don't know what it means. And there's going to be a center, there'll be a guard, and there'll be a defensive tackle where we'll look back on the draft and you go, damn, that guy became an All Pro. But we don't care about that. I mean, we should care about it because look at what the Eagles did with a great offensive line and a great defensive line. But you know, the draft always, you know, we're going to talk about Travis Hunter, the quarterbacks, Ashton Genty, what the Cowboys do, Anybody trade up, anybody trade down? What trades happened prior to Matthew Stafford, Kirk d Cousins, Sam Darnold, How do they affected the draft? I mean, that's really what the presentation is going to be, at least that first night. Remember a couple of years ago when Schefty breathlessly was trying to tell us that, you know, Aaron Rodgers was going to be traded, and you had all of this programming about Aaron. I was like, Aaron Rodgers, He's not gonna be traded. But it was one of those where he had Adam I think had heard from somebody who had some information, and therefore, all of a sudden it became ESPN's programming. All it takes is one little thing like Laramie Tunsel and changes a draft. You know, somebody's rising, somebody's falling, and if you're you know you're carrying the draft. So ESPN is looking for those stories. They don't want predictability. They want to have something where somebody goes, oh my god, mel, what's your thought? That's what they want. You don't want this to go chalk where you go okay and then okay, you want to The New York Jets have traded up, yes, Tod.
Speaker 6: But that's part of the problem too. When we watch the combat, we get so reactionary in the moment. Just because someone runs a fast forty we already got them going to the Hall of Fame, or someone gets there he tied up. But they hit a cone by accent, that means they're going to be a bust and they have no chance of having a great NFL career. That's what's silly, because we're so fixated on every little number that that's going to determine their future in the pros.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Jock, thank you. Now we can put a bow on this segment. Yes, exactly. We just tripped over the cone, Linda Cones, We just tripped over.
Speaker 6: Why'd you put cones out there?
Speaker 2: How about we take a break here. We're just getting started on this Wednesday back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 8: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: A couple of NBA thoughts here. Luke, of course, the triple double. He now has eighty one career triple doubles, seventh most in NBA history. The Warriors beat the Hornets. Now I didn't care about this game. I did. I cared because I really like the Warriors. I like what they've done, and they're going to be They're gonna be a thing. They're going to be a force here. So they beat the Hornets and I thought, Okay, how bad do the Hornets lose? They lost one twenty eight to ninety two. The Hornets have lost their last three games by a combined one and thirty one points. That's the worst point differential in NBA history over a three game period. Congratulations, stat of the day. Stat of the day. That passed stat of the day.
Speaker 5: Stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Here comes that?
Speaker 5: What stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Also, the Grizzlies beat the Suns one for eight in overtime. The two hundred ninety nine combined points the most in the NBA game this season, but that didn't surpass the Nuggets and the Pistons back in the day in nineties. Is that eighty ninety eighties with Kelly Tripuka and John Long Isaiah the Nuggets? Dan Issel, Yes, Mark, I'm.
Speaker 3: Almost certain the score was like one. Okay, it was like an All Star game.
Speaker 2: But that was triple over a time. I think this was just one overtime?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just one?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just one? All right? Got our pole. Question has to do with the combine seating. Would you give us the wording? Yeah?
Speaker 7: We got up there right now, is the NFL combine still useful?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts? Well, let's go around the room, Todd. You think the combine is still useful, yes, yes, ish.
Speaker 7: Okay, seating I do, but not for the top end players. Okay, I think there's a lot of you know, the top ten percent. I absolutely do not need to be there. It's everybody else that Yeah, get those guys out there for sure, Marvin, how about you.
Speaker 3: I'm would seeing completely. It's for the small, small school guys, diamonds in.
Speaker 2: The rough, Paul.
Speaker 4: Not really for the teams, but yes, for the fan. It's nice filler. It's like spring training baseball in the background.
Speaker 2: And there will be a quarterback who will benefit by Shadoor, Sanders and cam Ward not throwing at the combine. And I think that's Jackson Dart out of Mississippi. And I do think that he is a first round talent. I think he's really good. And maybe it's a late first round, maybe it's second, but I think that he has the talent to start in the NFL. But you're going to have players who will benefit by some of the top end players not performing. Quinn Ewers I'm very curious about quinn yours. Is he healthy? I don't think he's throwing at the combine, or at least I haven't heard if he is. But just seems like we focused on the two top quarterbacks. And in case you're wondering, most of the experts will say the following. These two quarterbacks in this year's draft, cam Warden Shadoor Sanders would probably be the fifth or sixth quarterback in last year's draft. Just to give you an idea, we like to do this, where would they be? You know, are they better than bo Nicks? Are they better than JJ McCarthy. You know this is you know, talent evaluators will tell you that they're probably they probably would be the fifth or sixth best quarterback if they were in last year's draft. All right, let's run through some of the sound yesterday where the coaches we're talking to the media doing their best to not really say anything to the media, and there's some awkward situations. For instance, the Ravens. All of the questions had to do with Justin Tucker. And if you go to the podium and you're the GM or the coach and you're like, you know, we're evaluating this case by case, and you know we'll we have to make a decision coming up. You know, we we like Justin. He's been unbelievable. He's one of the greatest kickers in franchise history. These are troubling accusations, but you know, we were doing our own investigation and we should be wrapping up soon. And then you hope that the media doesn't follow up. You hope your first answer fends them off. But there was some really good reporting. Judy Bautista who works for NFL Network I believe, or she's also a writer for the New York Times dot com. Yes, she kept asking like why or how, which is a great question. That's a great question. I don't let you reload. So when the Cleveland Browns say, let's say, who do Cincinnati Bengals. So if you're talking to the Bengals head coach and he talks about the slow start and you know, we're going to try to make sure we get off to a fast start next year, how he's like, uh, you know, kind of urgency went why didn't that happen this last year? When you say something stupid like that, you deserve to be hung out to Dry. We're gonna we're gonna have to get off to a better start than last year. Really, yeah, it cost you the postseason. We know that it cost Joe Burrow an MVP season because you got off to the slow start when they lost to New England and we said that Monday. That's the kind of loss that comes back and haunts you. All right, So you have the Raven situation, the Colt situation. I have been closely monitoring because Anthony Richardson, a former Time five pick, feels like he's one in the building, one foot out of the building. It's one of those where if I say, what do you think of your quarterbacking situation? We love Anthony, we really do. We really a lot of tw young talent. We really really love him. Yeah, who's going to be your starting quarterback this year? Well, you know we're planning on Anthony Richardson, you know. But when they say it's an open competition, it's weird. When I heard the answer, I go, Matthew Stafford, that's the first thing I thought of. But if they've done this now it didn't work out, matt Ryan, Philip rivers like you're going to bring in an older quarterback. Stafford is better than those two quarterbacks were I think when they brought them in. But could they do that again? Because they do have talent, and you know, you look at they always seem like they're on the cusp of maybe making the play. They're kind of they're clothes. But if you had Matthew staffin first thing I thought of when they say it's an open competition, I get Matthew Stafford indoors. We won eight games last year, Okay, can he give me? Can you give me two more wins with Matthew Stafford? I think so. So that's the first thing I thought of with the Colts the Browns, they got a triple header, they got where do you want to start? Do you want to start with Nick Chubb? Nah? Do you want to start with Miles Garrett, Ding Ding Ding, Deshaun Watson? Well, you know, on second thought, I don't know if Deshaun Watson was brought up yesterday because this is about Miles Garrett. Now, Nick Chubb's not going to be with the Browns, and he's been a great running back, but Miles Garrett is a Hall of Famer right now. Andrew Berry, the Browns GM was asked about Miles Garrett.
Speaker 9: For us, you know, Miles is under contract. We love him. Uh, he's a good player. So for us, it's really as simple as that.
Speaker 10: You know, we.
Speaker 9: It's down envision a scenario where he's no longer remember the Cleveland Browns. He's you know, he's a franchise player for us, so we're gonna keep him in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Unmovable, unmovable, Okay, I I of course he has to say unmovable. If he said, I don't know, you just said all of these things.
Speaker 7: That's why we are focused on keeping him here. And we want to do that unmovable, unmovable again. All of a sudden, his voice dispeed.
Speaker 5: Unmovable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, well where'd you go?
Speaker 2: Unmovable? But that's why here the you know, we want to do unmovable.
Speaker 11: Uh, Andrew, Pie to the faces, pie the face, all to the balls that Miles Garrett, excuse me if you treat him?
Speaker 2: Can we hit you in the nuts? Can we hit you with a flinch ball? Can we can we hit you in the face with the pie? Well? Do I get to you chew in the face with the face with a pie? If we don't, yes, you do unmovable. That'd be great, play it again, just just to hear that that, you know, trailing off.
Speaker 9: Unmovable for us, you know, Miles is under contract. We love him. Uh, he's a good player. So for us, it's really as simple as that.
Speaker 2: You know, we.
Speaker 9: Don't envision a scenario where he's no longer remember the Cleveland Browns. He's you know, he's a franchise player for us, so we're going to keep him in Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Unmovable, unmovable, unmovable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he but he is saying, and look, I get what what has to happen here? I know that you you you have to prepare before you go, like, all right, they're gonna ask this. You know what are we saying? What's the company line here? But we don't envision huh? That that almost feels like, help us envision how we could trade Miles garin acually? What you're saying to the other teams, you know, we don't envision this, Well how about you envision this? Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 7: We couldn't even imagine a deal this great, that's how good it is. We couldn't even imagine something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we didn't know somebody was gonna get this stupid and offer us all of this. We didn't envision this. Aaron Glenn, it's the new head coach of the Jets, and he says some of his players are upset. Aaron Rodgers is gone.
Speaker 12: I understand the reaction of the players, but I would say this, Every decision that me and moves make is to win, and to win now, so I understand it. But again, listen, that's not gonna be the last decision I made.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 12: It's not that it's gonna upset some people, and that's okay, right, but as men, we talk about it, but make sure we keep it in the house that we're going to continue to do.
Speaker 2: Okay. He sounds like business man. I don't know if Aaron Glenn has a lighter side to him, but it certainly sounds like every time he goes to the podium, he's got an attitude. He wants you to know, I mean business.
Speaker 3: Yes, mar He sounds like that that type of parent that says, my house, my rooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where men go to play. But he learned from Dan Campbell. He saw how it worked for Dan Campbell.
Speaker 1: CA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Tod.
Speaker 6: But that's what's weird, knowing what we know about the Jets to have that kind of attitude where the Jets, this nonsense is going to stop. We're going to get us where we've belonged. Yeah, they haven't been anywhere.
Speaker 7: Where they go since when? Like what does that mean exactly? You're the Jets, dude.
Speaker 2: But I like it. I like that he says that. I mean he has to say that. But you can talk tough. I want your team to play tough. I want you guys to find a quarterback, Like, you know, how about we make some moves here, Like you can tell me all you want to tell me. It's like Dan Campbell could tell me all he wanted to tell me. It didn't matter until I saw that team on the field, and I thought that they were going to be a competitive team, maybe a playoff team. And then they lost I think their first seven games. I go, damn. And then the second half of the year here they came. And then all of a sudden, I go, next year, that team's a playoff team. And then they haven't looked back. They've made smart decisions. They play, they have an edge and an attitude. Yes, I will let you hit me in the nuts.
Speaker 5: It's just out there.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: I will bet you if we could go back and find the sound, I bet you Robert Sala's first words as the new Jets head coach were almost verbatim, the exact same thing. I mean, hey, look, this is the Jets. Okay, this is a proud organization. This time for messing around here is going to stop.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, can you find maybe the sound or maybe we find the transcript of Robert Solomin.
Speaker 7: You guys could get that football launcher and I'll stand and I'll let you do it as many footballs as it takes to hit me in the balls.
Speaker 2: I'll let you do that.
Speaker 7: I'll bet you it is. The words that he said are almost verbatim.
Speaker 2: Okay. Nick Siriani, the head coach of the Eagles, a lot of talk about the tush push. Okay, no, no, no, hold on, hold on, hold on, you guys haven't heard this yet. We're gonna play the Nick Siriani responds to the tush push questions. Okay, so it's been successful. First touchdown on the Super Bowl they scored. Now we want to eliminate it. And how do you think? Nick Siriani answered the question Todd. I'm going to ask you, coach, what do you think about the NFL maybe getting rid of outlawing the tush push.
Speaker 6: You know what, I understand the frustration of other teams and how well we do it, but you know, just stop us. It's legal play. We're not doing anything outside of the boundaries of the law, and the other teams can work on it and get better at it to find a way to stop us. It's it's a non issue. It's a legal play. We'll keep doing it until anybody stops us.
Speaker 2: Seaton, how would you answer that?
Speaker 7: I think he said something like, it's just nice to have our greatness confirmed. Yes, the play is that good. We are that good, and we do deserve the season that we just had.
Speaker 3: So Marvin Sirianni said, they hate us because they aint us.
Speaker 2: Oh well, okay, Paul.
Speaker 4: Did the league try to stop the Dallas Cowboys when they invented the shotgun in the seventies? Did the leagues that try to stop the Redskins when they invented the two tight end offense? Innovation is part of our game and it can't be outlawed.
Speaker 2: This is what Nick Sirianni said about the tush push.
Speaker 10: I almost feel a little insulted because we worked so hard at that play, the amount of things that we've looked into how to coach that play, the fundamentals, there's always there's a thousand plays out there, but it comes down to how you teach the fundamentals, and now how the players go through and do with the fundamentals. I can't tell you how many times we practice the snap. We practice the play because it's not a play that it's easy to practice. There's different ways we figured out how to practice it. Like, we work really, really hard, and our guys are talented at this play, and so it's a little insulting to say it's just just you know, we're good at it, so it's automatic. We work really hard at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, it's a good answer. It's the right answer. I'm sorry, you guys can't stop us. All right, we'll take it out of our playbook. Buffalo does it. Buffalo probably did it as successful, maybe second most to the Eagles success rate. I don't know if you can sit there and go, hey, you know what, let's get rid of a couple of plays with a couple of teams here. I'll go back to what I said yesterday. If the Tennessee Titans did this play, no one would care. It's because the Eagles are doing it. The Eagles are shoving it in your face literally, and they're winning a Super Bowl. That's why teams are bothered by. That's why fans might be you know the safety element of this. Okay, football's a violent sport. And you line up. This is your line against my line. This is my team will against your team's will. Now, is it predictable? Yes. NFL doesn't like predictable, that's why they move the extra point. But this is a situation where you can It is so easy to solve this. Don't let somebody push a runner from behind. That's it. That's the old rule two thousand and five. Why did you allow it? Now, take that out of the rule book and just let them go with the quarterback sneak, and you know what, they'll be just as successful. Take a break Play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp Oh My God of the Day, Twitter lips, I got.
Speaker 7: It play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 12: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Ban a baseball pass to the back of the court for Morant. He gets by Beal Morant through two defenders. Moran jumps it underneath. Wells. All want to pass, they want to finish, jail it.
Speaker 2: Wells wuss his home at two ad A hammer pop, big gorgeous speed from John Moran, courtesy of the Grizzlies Radio Network. The Suns and the Grizzlies combined for two hundred and ninety nine points, the most of any NBA game this season. That's your play of the day. Play of the day brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC and Maco. They bring your car back to life with affordable paint joms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. PAULI just told me that Tom Pelsero reported yesterday Jackson Dart and Quinn Ewers will throw at the combine. I didn't know if yours was healthy, but apparently he is. Jackson Dart I think is really good. Yeah, now you got a battle for that third spot. You got Jalen Milroe as well. I don't know if he's going to throw at the combine, but some of these other quarterbacks may benefit from the other quarterbacks who aren't throwing. Early poll results if you can Seaton.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got up there right now. Is the NFL combine still useful?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 7: Sixty six percent of the audience are saying yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean it's filler. I think you can probably take You can glean some information out of it. Or also you get introduced to players that maybe you didn't follow, maybe they play in a conference that you don't watch all the time. I like that, And you'll have the analysts there going to point out some players who could be rising, maybe a sleeper pick. Maybe this could be a late round pick who could turn out to be a starting quarterback, wide receiver, running back, all of those things. Those are fun, you know, information, that's what you want going into the draft. We want to know who is that guy? How good is that guy? What do they say about that guy? Now the draft is littered with players where we go that guy can't miss, and then he misses. Imagine your job, or at least a large portion of your job, is to assess who can play on Sunday, who we thought were really good on Saturday. That's your job. Your job hinges on that. A lot of times we'll look at the GM and you'll go, how could you make that mistake? Well, your scouts will tell you. They give you all this information and then it's up to you. You make that decision, you make the pick. And we always talk about the GM. Well, the scouts play a role in this as well. They don't get enough credit. Maybe they don't get enough blame, but the GM, it seems to be he's the focal point. Yes, Pauline, I.
Speaker 4: Always wonder about some players who don't work out, but you didn't really see. I go back to Trey Lance out of North Dakota State. Did he ever have a chance to lead his own team? I know he had injuries, he did have a little bit of a chance, but he never got a chance a full sample size for us to see. So it's like, it's a mystery why he's not working out.
Speaker 2: He just got released by the Cowboys. Geez, it's amazing, And I was hoping he was going to get some run at the end of the season, and he got to play a little bit, but you know, he wasn't better than Cooper Rush just wasn't and you know, might be more athletic, but it's it's about understanding the position, and for some reason it doesn't click with him, or at least not yet.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, if you're a scout and you find Cooper Cup, are you a scholarship for a few years.
Speaker 2: I think you can take a nice victory lab and Pooka Nakua. I mean, damn less need You're like, uh, yeah, you know, we don't really need draft picks, or at least high draft picks. We're gonna get those two guys. Yeah, mar But what.
Speaker 3: If you're just the scout, Like, man, I got this guy. He's out of this small school a Julian Edelman. Let's see if he works out in New England. Yeah, you're on scholarship for a little bit as the scout.
Speaker 2: I think we focus on baseball scouts who found Mickey Mantle or that guy found Hank Aaron or that guy you know, saw Willie Mays. We focus on scouts in baseball far more than we do with NBA and NFL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pol I'm going back to the draft profile of Puka Naku out of college. Uh, predicted to be a six or seventh round draft pick, lacks athletic ability, twitch or speed to be dangerous, lacks physicality, will struggle to elude press coverage.
Speaker 5: It's it's a very negative. They said. There are some highlights, but not enough.
Speaker 2: Red in Georgia leads us off. Good morning Red, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Good morning God? Thanks for taking a call. Hey, listen to pook him the cool draft. That guy needs to be fired. Man, I'm talking about He was all wall. But damn if you get rid of the touch push, don't We obviously got to get rid of any assistant by anybody helping a runner laid in a run. You see office a lineman come pusher running back down the field, and I never liked it because I want to see the individual talent for itself myself personally.
Speaker 2: Well, I know this is the tricky part of this and people aren't focusing on this. But if you're an offensive lineman, you're in front of the runner. If the runner breaks the line of scrimmage and that offensive lineman happens to run down and assist you in getting a few extra yards, I'm okay with it. He at the line of scrimmage, you went past him. That lineman is getting down to help you push the pile. I'm okay with it, Like, at what point do we go this? It's football. You may not like it, but if it's so easy and you know you're gonna complete it ninety eight percent, why don't other teams do it? The Eagles have mastered it. They have an unbelievable offensive line, and they have a quarterback who is different than every other quarterback in the NFL. Load to the ground, incredible leg power, drive. I can't penalize them because they figured this out. If they weren't successful as a team, no one would care about this. Next hour, we play in or out and a special guest contestant