Speaker 1: What up, y'all.
Speaker 2: This is Matt Barnes and you boys Stack five for honor to be selected by Apple Podcasts for the Pick of the Month for the Sports category.
Speaker 1: Welcome to our show, All the Smoke.
Speaker 3: For the past five years, we've interviewed the biggest stars in sports, culture and entertainment.
Speaker 2: Like Kobe Bryant, Lil Wayne, Kevin Durant, Dione Sanders, and Pat McAfee.
Speaker 3: I'll go here is to have an open conversation with I guess and most importantly that you guys get to know your favorite stars as their true selves.
Speaker 2: So sit back and relax, roll up and enjoy it.
Speaker 1: M H.
Speaker 2: Welcome back All the Smoke. Where in our new building is naked, but it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be sweet soon. Got bilding bro.
Speaker 2: We got a home and it smells how I was supposed to. It smells smoky man today. Excited to have one of our homeboys, but one of our favorite guests. Yeah, fans love when Park comes on here. They call them Kendrick motherfucking Perkins dropped about seventy motherfuckers, like seventy times last time. One of the comments said, Kendrick Perkins at ESPN is how everyone asks their job, Kendrick Perkers and all the smokers, how they act on their day. Offer. Let's here, damn park, what's going on man? House life right now?
Speaker 4: Man, I can't complain.
Speaker 1: Man, Nutty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying. I'm trying, you know what I mean, I'm trying to do what I do. But man, proud of y'all, man, thank you real talk. I'm watching y'all man do y'all thing and doing their child wait uh and continuing to like shine the light on how to do it, how to believe in something and get it done. I ain't know y'all shit, I ain't know y'all had time for y'all little bro see y'all tool, I see y'all with you know what I'm saying, Kamala hand like damn no boys doing a big But I'm proud of y'all man, for I really am. I sit back and I mild what y'all doing man, and how y'all doing it.
Speaker 2: And I mean it goes right back to you, man, equally as proud as you you know, for you be able to kind of find your lane post career and be one of the most prominent voices in sports. Obviously a new contract with ESPN. Congratulations with that. What has that been like? You know you've been there since nineteen becoming a VET in the space. What has the journey been like for you with ESPN?
Speaker 4: You know what, It's a lot of sacrifice, right, I mean obviously you know being away from the family all the time. Yeah, you know, the wife and the kids, and especially when you had the youngest that's going through you know now you know high school and you know going through sports and the sacrifice you got to make to miss those games and those opportunities because you know us through We know how it feel to miss, to miss all that shit when we was hooping, right, And when you retire, you want to set aside and be there. You want to be there coaching, you want to be there in the workouts and things to that nature. But all in all, it's cool. I'm still grinding. I still got goals that I want to achieve in this space. I'm learning a lot about the business, right, learning to trust no one in this space when it comes down to this workplace. So I treated as so and it's nothing personal because I'm gonna show up and.
Speaker 2: It's just business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just business.
Speaker 4: And continue to just work on my craft. You know, obviously I'm gonna drop a lot of hot takes. Some people gonna agree with them something, don't at the end of the day, they'll be all right, well.
Speaker 1: It's cool though, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Keep it cool, buddy. Hey, So give us, give us and the fans. What what is a week in in the NBA season look like for you? Because I can say there's a lot of traveling. You're in l A a lot. You live in Texas. I'm not mistakeum, I know you're traveling and doing u NBA today and what's the what's the pregame show, NBA count down? So what is a week like for you?
Speaker 4: On Mondays? You know, I work from home, so it started off the week start off at about nine in the morning. I'm done that three and Tuesdays I usually have a day off to prepare to travel for the next morning. I'm on the same flight every Wednesday morning at five thirty and once I get here on Wednesdays, my day started at nine at n sometime at midnight Thursday is pretty flexible. I have, you know NBA today, that's that's you know what twelve to one West Coast Town and then I have late night Sports Center, and then Friday they start at six in the morning, and in that shit fuck it, in that shit ten thirty, ten thirty that night, and I'm on the Red Eye back home that night.
Speaker 1: That night. You leave Friday night.
Speaker 4: I need Friday night, so I'll be back home at four thirty and wake up as soon as I laying ship. I'm right today, you just watching my boys who and so Sundays. You know, I try to dedicate majority of all my time to the family and whatever it is, movies or whatever the hell they feel like doing them.
Speaker 2: To do that's a big sacrifice because obviously as players, we knew that. I mean, particularly for me, that was one of the reason why I retired early, was because I just felt like I was missing a ton of time. So to get back in the mix. And like you said, kids at you know, all different ages, but you're missing a lot of family time to you know, obviously still accomplish your goal. So it's you know, sometimes I know that's hard for the family.
Speaker 1: Oh it is, it is.
Speaker 4: And shout out to my wife Vanity Perkins man from yah Yo.
Speaker 1: She hold it down.
Speaker 3: Manrillide don't get it twisted from the West Side.
Speaker 1: She loved.
Speaker 4: She loved my sninking ass. She real and she does everything that you know, need to be done for the kids in the house. And so I'm appreciable because at the end of the day, with what I'm doing, she's she's dealing with a lot of sacrificing a lot. So it's all good.
Speaker 1: Stack.
Speaker 3: Remind us how you and Perk met were from the same area, the Golden trying to put off the Texas We're from the same area.
Speaker 1: We got the same high.
Speaker 3: School coach, probably the only high school coach in Texas to have two kids come up out of high school and both the NBA champions and both doing what we're doing after basketball. So shout out the coach boute but Bouta basically raised me and put the attitude, the attitude I had a basketball in me, and he was instilled in him. And as he was coming up, he was teaching Perk through me, you know. And I became a big brother to Perk, you know. And uh, Perk was bigger than I was. And I had to go to Okill to get the recognition that Perk got right there in our hometown.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. So was Perk was when I was okill right there in bo My, Texas.
Speaker 3: So he was somebody that we knew it was next coming up from my area, the only thing, and to have the same high school coach. I just embraced him like a little brother and we became you know where we are now.
Speaker 2: Perk your journey in ESPN, anybody you kind of leaned on or learned from, or or any kind of vets in the space for you to kind of helped you out.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what, the guy, the guy that's a bad motherfucking in that face, I ain't I ain't gonna say.
Speaker 1: Mother, go ahead, it's all good. But I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 4: The one guy that that I leaned on, the one guy that gave me a lot of you know, insight and guidance on how it worked to be honest with you, is stephen A. I ain't gonna lie. You know, stephen A. Everybody always asking me, what's stephen A like, you know, cool, cool as cool ass. But he's said something about two years ago. I think it went over a lot of people. Heading at the time. I was like, Nah, stephen A, that wasn't the reply you should have gave, But as I thought about it, it was an honest and real reply. You know, he said, I wake up every morning and I try to figure out ways to get my bosses paid, and then I try to find a way to get some of it right. And when you think about what stephen A does, like you take a lot of criticism. He's not afraid to go on there obviously, first take it is a debate show, right, Uh, that's what's gonna drive it. And we live in the world today where drummers go sell and you know, stephen A, he's bringing in billions of dollars for the network, and he said, hey, I need to try to find a way to get some of it. He works his ass off around the clock. Obviously have it steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith show.
Speaker 4: But he gives me that insight on little things of how to approach different shows. If he don't approve of something that I said, tell me about you know, how to approach when you on the ab seeing network opposed to being on ESPN. And those just be little things behind the scenes that.
Speaker 1: You know he don't have to do right.
Speaker 4: And so, uh, stephen A Man, stephen A behind the scenes is a real one to me because he don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: If you cross him, if you cross them, that's it, that's it coming back. Yeah, it ain't no coming back. So you just think about having an opportunity to even be on first tape right, first take is one of those shows that ag yeah, that'll put you on. So I applaud him man and and the guidance and the mentorship that he's bought in this space has been phenomenal.
Speaker 2: And I know he's up for a new deal soon, so he's hopefully gonna break the bank for sure, break the bank and help everybody else out. What's it like being a regular on Pat McAfee. We really fun with Pat. We got a chance to know him. Jack's already known him. I got a chance to know him a little better at All Star and and uh Indiana. We're drinking core cores lattes. But what's it like being a regular on his show?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you? So?
Speaker 4: It's live right because Pat, Pat's gonna do shit his way, but he accepted you for who you are. This was let me tell you something, Pat McAfee is the white version of you, Towbo motherfucker cooler than the motherfucker. And when I realized that was that I actually flew down to Indiana and went to the Thunderdog yeah of the studio, and when I pulled up and I got walked in, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, yeah, Patareal.
Speaker 4: Pat getting it on in there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: The whole vibe was great.
Speaker 4: His energy is great, and you could tell he's authentic about everything that he do, and he keep it one hundred man, he keep it one thousand and again for what he's doing, especially doing it on this network. You know a lot of people you know may have complaints or whatever, but he's doing it in a whole other way where it's like, no, this is how people in the real world, and you just go have to adjust.
Speaker 2: Definitely shout out path for I mean, obviously all of us being in the media space for him. He really, like you said earlier, he really does it his way.
Speaker 4: I mean, think about it. He is. I think just you know, when you talk about the most powerful people at ESPN's one of them, it's him and Stephen A. Smith.
Speaker 1: He's wonderful.
Speaker 4: Right, Like Pat McAfee called out a real top dog and that top dogs.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, he's no longer there man.
Speaker 4: And and the thing I love it is because he ain't gonna hide it the same ship he's saying privately, gonna see it in public? How you feel? So I think it's just, you know, he sets a ball of to up your game. He also sets the ball of accountability, and so I respect that.
Speaker 1: Is it true that the Celtics band from Right.
Speaker 4: Bay and me what they gonna be in? Look, let me say this.
Speaker 1: Let me say that I see the article.
Speaker 2: I heard, I heard that they didn't like your tags. I heard the players weren't for any of this truck. I heard the players weren't. I don't know it's true.
Speaker 4: And to be quite honest, I don't give a fuck, right, I don't give it because here's the team. They have a lot, maybe no mistake about it. I never take winning the championship for granted, but they act like you have to be tied to that situation or that's your life, right like, oh it was on them to play for one of the most historical franchises. I never take that for granted. But I think what end up happening was why I know I said the take about Joe Missoula on television one day, and it was during the regular season, and again they clipped it off and caught the back end of it. And this is when no one believed in a three point shooting, right, and thinking that that recipe was gonna be a recipe for success until it actually happened. And so at halftime, they was jacking up threes and I believe, you know, just jacking up threes. And I went on halftime and I was like, see, this is what I'm saying. When the Celtics, you know, are looking like are looking good, Joe Missoula looks like a genius, right, It's two sides of it. But then when he's when they're not making threes, I mean, it looks like you could take his brain and if you put it in a bird is gonna fly backwards. Well, everybody got pissed off for me about that take in the organization, right, but nobody called me on me.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I have a personal relationship with with Gross Spec, like with grossped came to my wedding with Gross Spec, you know, and that's who were only He's the only and so anyway they make it to the finals and they win the championship and Brian Scalabrini Fucking Scale. He goes on this I think Series XM show, whatever the fuck you do with Frank Issolo whatever his name is. He's like, oh, yo, Perk, he's not invited to the duck Boat tour, like after the ga I mean the duck boat ceremony, right the parade. It's like, I ain't give I don't give a fuck, Like I this is not my moment anyway, right, this is not two thousand and eight moment anyway, Like this is for these guys in twenty twenty four who just wanted.
Speaker 1: Like why should we be part of it? Right?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I wasn't the only motherfucker not there, Like you had a lot of people that wasn't there. And so Scale was like he went back on the radio and he's like, well, I think you know, Perk don't have a you know, the door's not just open for him to come back to the Celtic organization. It's two things I took from there. One Scale, who the fuck are you? Like real Tom, Like, who are you to be Shotcolling? You was the same motherfucker that when we won a championship. You was in street clothes, hurry up and went changed into your jersey. So once we started taking pictures, you could know that you was part of the team. Now on the other side of it, it's like, it's like we can't That was real though, Like, so why are you following shots? I understand you doing your thing over there with the broadcasts and space and everything, and I actually light scale, but I thought that should have been a phone conversation, right, So I reached out to Wit gross Spitt. We had a conversation. Obviously he felt some way about that. Come about the Joe Missoula comment. We hashed it out. Started this season. I actually get an email from Joe Missoula saying, hey, Perk, whenever you're free, if you in Boston or we play the Rockets, I want to go to dinner and break bread. So they have a grown man conversation, right, And I will apologize for the comment. It was a lot of human in that. But you know again, I'm gonna own up to an apologize. But I think I'm still like in Boston, but I'm not just like riding it.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna take that dinner with Missouri Yeah.
Speaker 4: For sure, I'm gonna go sit down with him.
Speaker 1: You know, it seemed like a real He seemed like you trying to.
Speaker 4: Do just you just gotta understand them, right, Like he has this certain type of way of thinking, and I actually I'm actually starting to love the way that he is.
Speaker 2: And I think like his growing pains were on TV, you know what I mean, Like his growing pains, like for the email situation that happen, he was thrown in the fire immediately, and he got exposed in that first round of the playoffs, and I think, like most players, he went back and got better from it.
Speaker 1: He did, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, definitely everybody has growth, so I get it. I like that y'all was able to talk it out though.
Speaker 1: The way of your words now that you're first.
Speaker 2: Take basically what he's saying is your word carry a lot of weight. Now do you worry about that?
Speaker 1: You know what I do?
Speaker 4: I do now I do so you know, I've been dialing back more so I'm still gonna critique, uh, you know, god games, and if they play well, I'm gonna tell them if they don't, But I'm not gonna take it to a level where god Field attack or feel like, you know, it was disrespectful.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So I went back and I thought about that. I was like, damn, it was pretty fucked up, like taking his brain putting the birds bird basically called him dumb than the motherfuck dumb. So now I do I do think about those things before I go on there. But I am gonna be fair all across the board because you know, I was a role player, right, a role player. It's a lot different, uh than if you're shocked Barkley. Uh, you know Tom Brady, Like.
Speaker 3: Let me say this, You got to Boston, became a role player and told no, I ain't lying.
Speaker 1: We was playing summer basketball.
Speaker 3: He was taking the ball off the rebind and bringing it up for making plays. He was doing all that before he got to Boston. When he got to Boston, they took all that away from him. And I mean, it's a real thing. But you know, coming into this media space, like it's so hard to be able to to to like establish yourself and this if you if you're not a Hall of Fame, Right, they roll the red carpet out for Tom Brady, Right, they roll the red carpet out for Shack When he retired, like you know, those guys get opportunities should they should, but like.
Speaker 4: Myself, I have to work for it. And the way that it goes is if they think that you're leaning any way towards like not being fair and critique and players, she might ask to be on the first thing.
Speaker 3: Smoking Baron and Jmon have some stuff to say about it.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. That's a Kendrick Perkins telling Kawhi he need to retire.
Speaker 1: That's sick coming from Kendrick Perkins, coming from perk last three years in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Nobody was pushing him to retirement and everybody probably should have. I mean, point five points for three years straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to respond.
Speaker 1: You want to respond?
Speaker 4: No, No, I respond to it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they called you right after saying Kawai should retire. I thought it was crazy because Perk his last three years in the NBA, nobody was pushing him into retirement. Everybody probably should have. The man average two point five for three years straight and nobody was forcing him to retire.
Speaker 1: Who said that?
Speaker 4: I think Draymond Well, actually that's a lie because people was forcing that time. They were trying to push me out because of a few organizations wanted me to come in and be a big man coach. Right Okay, see had offered me during the time I was playing, right Like, they literally wanted me to retire. It was like, purk, why you in the G League? I was like, I ain't ready to hang it up, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it was trying to do that. And then you know, with Draymond God, like, you know, the more people say go up, let's say hard. He don't know no better, baby, you know what I'm saying, no baby, Because here's the thing.
Speaker 1: If you go back.
Speaker 4: And watch the the entire segment of me talking about Kawhi, it didn't come from a place of me being malicious. It came from a place of me being concerned.
Speaker 1: Or having common sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, how many games he's missed, Like right now he's starting the season off not playing like it's just common sense.
Speaker 1: You just they can't be hated.
Speaker 3: If you're watching basketball, you're watching the clipers, you've seen the games that Kawhi is missed in the last couple of years. Now he's starting the season off not in that place. Yeah, that makes sense saying maybe you should hang it up. Like it comes common sense. Well, y'all tell me about I said it like this. I was like, hey, look, Kauhi is a future Hall of Famer, y'all.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge.
Speaker 4: Fan of Kawhi. I said, I think it's time for him to have that uncomfortable conversation with his family the organization because anytime I started hearing things like, oh, his neat is swelling and they don't know why that's a concern and when, and the reports are they will never leak it publicly, but it's basically born on bone. And how many guys, how many guys former teammates or players we know that had to retire because the bone on bone and so it was just I just didn't get it, the fact that he walked away from the Olympics basically to focus on being healthy for the season, and now you get to the season and it's something else.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I just think, while will never be one hundred percent again in his career, right, And that was it came from a place of concern. It wasn't like the retired because he ain't.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: It was like, bro, like the knees might be really shot. I thought it was a fast tape, a fas assessment and it wasn't a hot tape. It was like, Bros, you need to really figure out what's going on.
Speaker 2: How many years does he played dying eleven, twelve, twelve, and too something else interesting that kind of came out of not out of that, but since you know, his trainering from college that he had with him got fired by the Clippers and he's suing the team now and documents are coming out where he was supposed to be out for two years and they put him back in and all that kind of something.
Speaker 4: About that you're supposed to be out for two years? Two years? Like, what's really going on? And no one knows. No one knows what's going on with Kawhi. No one knows in the organization. He has his own doctors, right, a lot of times t lou don't find out until shoot around if he's available or not, right, Like, that's how quiet he is behind the scenes. So that just came from a place of concern. But you know, uh, Draymond, you know he took it and ran with it. You know what I'm saying, I fuck with BD, So Draymond, I guess BD put the key in Draymond back and he felt good about.
Speaker 1: It, but I have to check somebody.
Speaker 4: The reason I didn't entertain that on the internet is because I had to check Chandler Parsons about.
Speaker 1: It as well.
Speaker 4: Like he said it before them, like this ain't this hot take? Ain't it? But I didn't go with him on the internet. I called him like what the fuck you mean? You don't understand what I'm saying? Like you were tired because you was injured, like.
Speaker 2: That overreaction segment. We got a little segment for you part with a few weeks into the season. I'm gonna say a statement. All you gotta let me know is if you it's an overreaction or you agree with that chat could end up having as good a career as Wimby. You're on record calling him the White KG. His numbers currently are better than Wemby's. Thoughts on check could have just as good, I wouldn't even say better, just as good can he does? He have the talent to be just as good as Wimby is good.
Speaker 3: But the White KG slowed down then, But White.
Speaker 1: KG is kind of early for that, I know.
Speaker 4: But see, look.
Speaker 1: But look we're going that right now.
Speaker 4: But look, Stack, this is what I said again, it was a night after he dominated and he buzz he busts yo ass okay, And what ended up happening was he blocked his shot on one end. I'm talking about, like beat that shit up, sprinted down the floor and they.
Speaker 1: Hit him down the lane.
Speaker 4: He came with one of those leaners like KG, and he was just yelling and shit like that. And that's when I was like, oh, last night, that motherfucker was like a white KG because it was like all across the board at that side that's twenty five points and you know, thirteen fourteen boards, four blocks. I'm like, oh, this motherfucker on and he takes matchups personal yeah, and it's not yeah, and he's not afraid to God. So I'm looking at Chat. I'm like, one, Chat is just as skilled as Victor. He's more physical to me, he has more dog in him in my opinion, and he's more polished at this point. So I think as much as we hype up and talk because and rightfully so, with the potential of Victor win beyond, but Chet is looking him out of eye. So absolutely he could have a better career than Victor winbim death.
Speaker 3: I had ship at the Officer game. I seen the switch switching him that week at the Officer game. You know, I was read in his and his pops was there, and it's just probably came into him like stay on him like that.
Speaker 1: So Check he had that dog and him coming out of high school. Yeah, he had it in him. Every drill. Yup, I guess, Polo yup?
Speaker 2: Could they go down as the best one two combo that we've seen, Pollow and Check as far as first pick, second pick, and both living up to what they hollow hollow, hollow and is killing.
Speaker 4: I worked it, Carol, Look, I watched it. I worked the draft and people was tripping out on me, killing me on the internet. If you take Ben Simmons prime, Ben Simmons his first three years, okay, first three years, and you take Mike Beasley and these motherfuckers have a baby, you get Pollow Ben Carrol, that's who you get. He's that polarizing. So Ben Simmons attacking down hell the first three years he was starting off. That's Pollo, right. And if you look at Polo game, but Carol game, when he's turning around, his his jab steps and all that, Yes, Beasley doing it from the left hand standpoint, but Polo doing it from the right hand standpoint? Now, can he get better for us making shots like Beesley? Absolutely? But man, he's definitely one of them, definitely wanted.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there's some notable one two Pitch, Shaq and Zoe, old school Jerry Weston, Oscar Robinson one too. Yeah, So don't kill me for that statement. Was just a matterfucking question. I was asking a question. But under twenty five, who who would be another center you would pick outside of Wimby and Checked. I like sing Goon mobiley Lively triple J one for Dallas Lively Lively Lively.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 2: I like sing Gooon. I like because he's a goon too.
Speaker 1: I like some goon too.
Speaker 2: And he just got paid too, what.
Speaker 1: Kay?
Speaker 4: Yeah he should have got I think he's a baby Yokic. He's a baby because he fills up the statue. Yeah, he got the he got the whole package. He got the whole package. Even Mobley. It's finally starting to like turn that corner though.
Speaker 2: Like three, yeah is year three for him?
Speaker 4: Still, I still need to see a little bit more dog, you know what I'm saying. I think he got it in him, but he's turning that corner. But I would have to go with Shangun for sure.
Speaker 2: I like him the evolution of the five man. You know, for a while he you know, they said he was out the game obviously, Yo kitchen and beads, versatility, been playing five and then be able to do a little bit of everything. Do you think that the league will I mean it's it's do you think the league will head back towards old school five? It would always have to be a versatile five.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's gonna always have to be a versatile five. But I'm just happy that bigs are relevant for a minute. W it was about a three four year window. It was all periminal.
Speaker 3: I think some team's gonna go back to the two bigs because the small guard it's not working for everybody, like certain teams is gonna work for But some team's gonna need to go back to the old style. I'm with you if they don't because they don't have the guards. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They can get the guard ball exactly.
Speaker 4: But see here's the thing, right, and this is this is a conversation that needs to be had and I'm glad I'm here with two guys that actually know the game and understand what I'm about to say. Like when the Celtics, you know, have Christa Perzingers in the lineup, are they really small?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Jason Tatum six nine six ten?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Is that is that? Is that small? Just because he's able to play on the perimeter. But should he still average about nine rebounds last year? I think he could take a step further than average ten or eleven?
Speaker 1: Good? So is that really small? Ball? Is a small ball.
Speaker 4: Because he's able to stress them because he's able to shoot the right right, But is it really small? Like people are like, oh, yeah, the Celtics played a small ball with Chris stiph Christoph Perzingers, And I'm like, well, ship, Derek White is one of the most He's one of the best rebounding guards in the league. Drew Holliday is one of the best rebounding guards in the league. So are they really small though? Like six all the way through the lineup?
Speaker 1: Nah? No?
Speaker 4: So yeah, but I like to see it. And Dereck Lively, man, I'm telling you he fun.
Speaker 1: He's funny. He's fun.
Speaker 4: Make sure how many teams last year at the trade dead line, dropped the ball by not getting Daniel Gaffer.
Speaker 2: He's a backup over there.
Speaker 4: Well they got him starting now, But I think that's I think that's Jay Kidd playing like the mind ga lively to keep them hungry. But think about what Daniel Gaffer could be going for the Lakers or what he could be doing for Ship Phoenix. Because I take Daniel Gaffer, I like plumb nurkish bothers me right, he gets all my damn nurves because he just don't know his roll. Imagine they had a legit live thread like Daniel Gaffer live, and I think they got him for like a two second round picks or some ship.
Speaker 1: Is this an overreaction?
Speaker 3: You was the main reason why yours are taking over the Americans spot in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Hell now, it's not an overreaction. It's a real thing.
Speaker 3: Six straight years MVP has been foreigner, too straight for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know why, because they are all.
Speaker 3: They taking this ship serious. Ain't worry about I G likes and videos and ship like that. They just out there hooping on the blacktop.
Speaker 4: Still, they out there hooping, and they so so. My middle son Kingston, he had so He had a teammate that was a little point guard named Dax Mitchell. He was out of New Orleans. His dad worked at a refinery, ended up taking a job over in the Netherlands, right, so they relocated. And he called me said part this shitt night and day. So I'm like, well, what you mean? He like, Man, we playing AAU games every weekend, we traveling, He'll be traveling there over here. They play one time a week, practice for rest, then practice the risk yep four to ten minute quarters one time a week and they practice and training. Mak yeah, yeah, And I think that's that's what we miss.
Speaker 2: I would say. And to me, it's not even better. They have a better understanding of how to play basketball, you know what I mean, Because I feel like the American kids are just as skilled, if not more skilled, but it's just with the ball. So they don't know how to play off the ball. They don't know how to play team basketball, they don't know how to fit in the system. The European people, obviously because the NBA game has changed more terms of the European game. Anyway, we were talking about the bigs being obsolete, more running, gunning, you know, foul for a lot of free throws. But I feel like with this game where they you know, they practice a bunch and then they play one time, they're actually learning the skill set of skill set in high IQ. And that's why I feel like you see a ton of talented American kids kind of wash out because they don't understand if they don't have the ball, they don't know what.
Speaker 1: The to do.
Speaker 4: No, I agree, And y'all think about this for a second. How many former players do y'all see now coaching their son's team.
Speaker 1: And aging the right way I was doing it.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to fucking be coaching, but I can't sit back on the sideline and watch somebody else coach who's not teaching these kids how to play the game the right way. So all of a sudden, I didn't accepted another job I didn't plan on doing, to go out here and try.
Speaker 1: To you know, for free talk and like you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Why coach, bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like.
Speaker 2: Quality of coaching is bullshit and there's some good ones. Don't get me wrong, But if I offend you by saying there's some bullshit coaching or the aus because you're bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a nothing. I'm telling you. I went to look it was.
Speaker 4: It was an eighth grade team and squad was quote unquote supposed to be an elite team. They didn't even know what the d h O was. That's a problem, like, yeah, what do you like, what's really going on? You don't know what the d h O is.
Speaker 2: Have you had any bad experiences with parents, other coaches, referees during your a you run?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I didn't, got, I got I didn't have my fair share getting kicked out the game for damn show right for the Rials.
Speaker 1: But what the d h O d like a hand off if you dribble hand off?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, don't over thinking. You knew it he put Yallas, but you know, but yeah, I mean that's why that's why I don't coach no more.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't coach my son's team no more because it was disturbing my peace from the other parents, right, like it was for real, man, it was disturbing my peace. Like I'm getting in the call going home on I'm pissed. Man, Yeah, I'm mad because the motherfucker mad at me because I ain't your son didn't bring the ball up like your son had literally sixteen points just off of playing his role and cutting and knocking down shots.
Speaker 1: But you're telling me I'm.
Speaker 4: Taking away from his development because he's actually not bringing the ball up the floor. So at that point, I'm like, nah, you got it, y'all go find something else. I broke up the team. Matter of fact, I'm gonna take mine and he gonna go play up two grades and I'm gonna go put him in somebody else hands that I do trust with this organization. And y'all go ahead. They circle back, like come on this. I'm like, hell nah, hell no, I'm already tied coming off the plane. And then y'all stressing me out over some bullshit.
Speaker 2: Andy'll pay me, and I got you got to pay for a whole bunch of other kids. And thoughts on whold backs and double whole backs.
Speaker 1: What if I what if I I'd have done that in high school?
Speaker 4: Man, you wasn't wasn't gonna that you do that. Boo wasn't go boo that.
Speaker 1: They wasn't gonna let you do that.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, right, my oldest is a reclass, right, but he's not in the reclass because of sports. Right, he just went to homeschool for two years right after COVID. He stayed in homeschool, and I felt like he was behind for like his social ship, and so I was like, nah, bro, like this ain't it like you're not ready to go to the ninth grade. So that, yeah, I made him go back to school for his eighth grade year, but he didn't just I mean he didn't started playing basketball to literally like a year ago. He's a sophomore and now like until he got to ninth grade and he played football, but he never was like all in on sports. There was more so of a move like like my nigga, you gotta get out of.
Speaker 2: Your shit social yeah, like one of my one of my sons is like that.
Speaker 1: We thought about it.
Speaker 2: He just wasn't ready for what level.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, yeah this is coming.
Speaker 4: That's the reason I've done it, And I think I just had to do it as a parent, not in a bad way. I think the worst thing that I've done with my oldest child was named him Kendrick Perkins Junior.
Speaker 1: For him.
Speaker 4: I should have because he shied away from shit like that, right, I could have named him something else, gave him his own identity right, like, but my thirteen year old thought he actually embraced shit like that, like he wont the shit he wants the cameras, he won't get attention, and he goes shine in it. But my oldest ain't. You know, he fought n ain't his thing. And I'm okay with it. Smart kid, you know, real great, you know, great kid. I love him to death. Know the Bible in and I out know his books. You know, he didn't won awards all across America far as in his books. And I'm okay with it, you know what I mean. But I think that was the one thing that I see that I should have done differently.
Speaker 2: Overreaction, Bucks fan should be worried about losing Yannis. CBS recently reported the teams are circling around preparing for a Janni's opportunity. Obviously, we don't know what's gonna happen with Middleton and he continues to be injury riddled. I think Lillard is gonna have a bounce back season. A lot of shit going on in his personal life. He's allowed to focus on basketball again. But have the Bucks missed the window?
Speaker 1: I think one.
Speaker 4: You can't trusts no more right and what he's what he's capable of doing.
Speaker 2: So why you say that because.
Speaker 4: One okay, put pressure on the organization to make.
Speaker 1: A move and to bring the Nassis back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one, that's a whole other story.
Speaker 1: Shout out the nasty. I thought they brought it back back. They wanted back. Shout out the nastis man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think they want I think they want to bring him back to kind of secure comfortability.
Speaker 4: Nas Shout out the Nasais Jis he wanted. He made a move before he said the extension, He went out public and said some things. So they make a move out of desperation and get dang right, and you give up Drew Holliday. Then last year you fire Agent Griffin.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you mean because you are more ear to the Did you find out what the reason behind that was?
Speaker 1: No? But but but I do know this.
Speaker 2: There were sixteen and four.
Speaker 4: Thirteen second in the Yeah, because you got blood on your hands. And to be honest with you, the Bucks ain't doing shit this offseason while everybody else was making powerful moves. And you watch the Knicks go get Michel Bridges, You watch the Knicks go get called Anthony Towns. You watch Philly make a move for PG. You watch all these teams go out and try to, like, you know, stack the dicks just to go compete if they have an opportunity against the Celtics. Right, No, not, But Milwaukee when got Gartrn Jr. Entorian Prince Chris Middleton coming off for two ankle surgeries. That shit done right, Doc, text Doc before I said a bottom on TV. Motherfucker your ass on the clock. You gotta do something, Doc, real talk. I've been to your come to your defense so many times, but at this point, you didn't achieve much with the Clippers of Philly. You gotta fucking deliver, you know what I mean? And I think one I think. I think if they don't make it to the NBA Finals this year, I can see Milwaukee going in a different direction, or Yannis one.
Speaker 3: Out Nuggets with RUSS championship team, or they need to ask some add something else to be back at championship for him.
Speaker 4: I'm not banking on Russ. I think Russ is gonna do some good things for them. Man, it's Sama Murray for me. We should have a better year. My point, because you can play off the bar and beer two go. He's a better score anyway he is. But but but stack man, when the fuck we go see it? Like real talk, like in Spurts.
Speaker 1: We see it in Spurs.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we see it in the playoffs. But when do we really go see it? The new norm in the NBA is thirty, right, Like that's that show. That's the twenty of when we was actually you know what I'm saying, when we was in the league, like doing our thing like most folks, was averaging the highest score at that time, probably twenty five, twenty eight, Like last season was his best season at twenty one. Like at some point, Bro, you gotta help a brother.
Speaker 1: I yeah, you can't just.
Speaker 4: Lean on Yokis this whole time, Like you supposed to be one of them.
Speaker 2: Was maxed, right, you got a max deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you did. So you think, let let go KCP. When are you gonna take that next step? Like, when are you gonna take that next step? Like nineteen points? Ain't getting it?
Speaker 1: Like, what's up with you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I think what was it? What was the the GM's name, Tim? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So Tim Conley helped build that team and then left the year after they won the championship. The year they won the championship and Calvin Booth's taken over since then, and since then, it's to me it's been a decline. I mean, they lost Bruce Brown, they lost Jeff Green, they lost KCP, there's one other person I think they lost, but they haven't necessarily filled those boys.
Speaker 1: And you know as Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mentioned Jeff Green, but you know how key role players are in certain situations. That's why you didn't see Boston really let go with nobody. You know, they like, shit, we won, We're hoping for Zingis, you know, can play more and let's really run it back. But I think from the day they won the championship, it's kind of been a downhill as far as losing pieces that you didn't know where as key as they were for your team.
Speaker 4: It seemed like to me that they'll go on the cheap brother, they're never gonna pay. They're never gonna pay, so every time they get an opportunity to stay below. And I'm still trying to figure that shit out too, that whole first Apron, Second Apron, all that shit with the new CBA, but small market, they're never gonna be in the luxury tags. They're gonna make.
Speaker 1: Sure that right.
Speaker 4: But they still even even with losing those pieces, even if you're banking on Christian Brown to come in and elevate his game, but you still got the core.
Speaker 3: You still got a core four, right, you still have paid a lot of money to Aaron Gordon.
Speaker 4: Like, when is Michael Porter Jr. Gonna take that lead? What's wrong?
Speaker 1: Stay? I I want to see him do more?
Speaker 4: Broo, Michael Porter.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, Like that's a that's like you got four you got four guys that like, really an all star, accountable players should be in the dick of things.
Speaker 1: The West is a mystery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could look at Okay see and say, oh yeah they coming out of the West, they look damn good.
Speaker 1: Or it could be the Mavericks.
Speaker 4: But outside of that, like to me, I feel like it's up for grounds.
Speaker 3: Who gets traded, person who leaves their team person. I think I think yok is a life for he. Yeah, for sure, when I lose, he gonna be there.
Speaker 2: And you always got to think, although you know they're both small markets. Milwaukee is a very small market, and Giannis hasn't really been on a big team that's on a big stage and the major media.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about playing the Golden State for the last three four years. I've been showing pictures of him in Golden State.
Speaker 4: Golden State look like I can't do right now, They're looking good.
Speaker 1: They needed one.
Speaker 4: Person that I ain't gonna lie, one person keep out on this, uh because the Pelicans, Man, I don't know what they're doing, but brandon Ingram. I like he's gonna be the guy that's going into up Yeah, and I wonder where he's gonna go, because he definitely could change some ship we'll be going, especially if it's a good tender.
Speaker 2: He got a lot of game overreaction. Anthony Davis is the best big in the league.
Speaker 4: After I don't think it's overreaction. I ain't I ain't gonna I ain't gonna lie. I think damn JJ been coaching as I've been watching that motherfucker. I've been wanting to hate on him so bad on the TV, but I fuck with JJ. But man, JJ been coaching his ass off man and he he's unlocked somewhere A did And I think it's the dog fund. Like we've been waiting on him to like we knew he you know, we know that he's one of the most skilled power forwards that we've seen, but it's the sets and everything. Third in the league and scoring right now, and he's just playing with a different type of tenacity and edge and it's showing it off.
Speaker 1: I mean, right now, he is.
Speaker 4: Looking like the second best big in the league right now. I can't. I gotta give him his props.
Speaker 2: Is there a piece you feel like the Lakers could use that'll put them in championship?
Speaker 4: Yes, they didn't get it last year. They should have got it last year. What is the what the Lakers missing? Show that that part's big? Huh big, most important part because a D still could ankle the five pretty damn good. If you go back and look at that Denver series last year, a D held his own with yow.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: You gotta have defense in the Western Conference. You got too many motherfuckers that could go get it from Anthony Elwis, Luca Kyrie, k D book. You gotta have for remember the defense. If the Lakers would just not be I don't know what it is. I like Austin Reeves, but they act like he's he's untouchable, and that's a problem for me because you could have gave him up with those picks and when gott it the John T.
Speaker 1: Murray. If the Lakers have the John T.
Speaker 4: Murray, I strongly believe they beat Denver in that series because every game was close.
Speaker 2: A point guard that distributed and place defense and could score.
Speaker 4: Jamal Murray was the one that game winner. Game winner like the Johntay counseling that out. You need a game manager because d Loo is just not cutting it for me. You know what I mean, He's not cutting you have the John T. Murray, they beat Themver.
Speaker 2: I ain't mad at that Cowboys. How about them cowboys.
Speaker 4: Stagst and I into my relationship with them five Yeah, I've been I couldn't take it no more. I mean, I'm just rocking.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm always wishing I wish you would. What say, you got another team, bro, We don't do that.
Speaker 1: We lose. We just lose. For years. We stayed. We're gonna stay down, We're gonna doing Listen, listen, We're gonna lose. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I don't have another team, right, I'm just a fan of the game. But I'm always going route for Lamar Jackson. For I just think like Lamar's that dude. I love everything about him, the way you carry himself on and off the field, how he stay down for the culture and he is who he is and he's not apologizing for it. But Ship, I'm fucking with the Texans man, you know what I'm saying. I'm fucking with the Texans. J Stroud. I'm just telling you. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And look, Stack, I keep telling you. I told you this three years ago. Why are you like stressing yourself out knowing that this is gonna be like it's it's stressful.
Speaker 1: This is our year right here? To do? What to do? What come back?
Speaker 2: Three and four? Right at four and four?
Speaker 1: Three the same record as y'all.
Speaker 2: But we all hurt, We all hurt, and we just beat y'all hurt.
Speaker 1: Michael Parsons hurting. That's two best, two star defensive ends hurt. See. Let me tell you I got one person hurt.
Speaker 2: Your quarterback is hurt, man.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you it's been hurt. Let me tell you, let me tell you what big bro gotta do. He's just well, we grew up in the Golden Triangle. It was the Cowboys, was passed down to us and we were wins generations great, great, and he know it and he just won't break that up. I broke it that I ain't. I ain't going to I ain't losing those like ter say, oh.
Speaker 1: G time ark doesn't og time warp perk.
Speaker 2: Give me one bold prediction for this year's NBA Season.
Speaker 4: One, Just not a bold prediction, because obviously Phoenix's my my dog horse to win it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely a dark horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a dark I like what Jones brings to that team.
Speaker 4: Phoenix is my dog. And think about this for a second. KD was pissed this GROWNDO didn't like Frank Vogel last year. The motherfucker still averaged twenty seven points. Pissed, not happy, KD now and engaged.
Speaker 1: KD. That's happy.
Speaker 4: He's gonna give you everything and more. And what I saw was in the Olympics. Fuck that he went out and got boockets. We know he's gonna do that, but I saw that one game when he was picking up ninety four feet. I was like, boy, that KD right there. Something different. So but if I had to give a bold prediction, my bold prediction probably would be Oklahoma City winning a championship. That's not my pick. I feel like Boston gonna win that. Yeah, but okay, see win the championship. I just I just feel like, really, all teams are practicing, Boston gonna take that shit again.
Speaker 3: KT is the only player to come back after Achilles, and percentage, percentages and points are win up after the Achilles.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: So so many people, so I always say this, right, I want to ask you all this. So many people always argue with me about this. In my eyes, KD is and I tell y'all, I just want to see if y'all agree with me. Y'all probably don't. KD is the greatest score to ever touch the basketball.
Speaker 3: Say I'm saying pure score, most efficient. Pure I would say most efficient. But piersco I'm going to being an MJ.
Speaker 4: The greatest, the greatest score to ever touch the basketball.
Speaker 2: And what you're thinking behind that, he's lost for sure.
Speaker 4: He's the most efficient. He has zero flaws offensively, no hos, no holes, handles, the skills. They are the layoup package. They're all finishing around basket, me arranged turn around, one legged shots of Henzy, pull of threes however you want it, it's there. Name me somebody that's in their tier right now. Camello wasn't that efficient. That's the difference. In order to be in that conversation, you gotta be efficient. The reason why I feel like Kobe is in my top five but I can't ever put Cold number one is because Cole still one of the all time leaders and miss field goals. That's a huge thing.
Speaker 3: That's just like saying, look at the top of the list in turnovers, you got d Wade, Broad, Kobe, they all of their turnovers all time because they had the bottom most.
Speaker 4: I get it, But miss field goals. I mean you gotta Jordan shot with like fifty percent from the field for his career though.
Speaker 1: Stack Yeah. Facts, That's why I said that.
Speaker 4: That's why it is to me as KD the enjoy Yeah, but KD has six eleven seven foot and.
Speaker 1: Nothing he can't do off.
Speaker 2: He's a builder players, he's a you build on two.
Speaker 1: But I'm not mad at anybody. And that wasn't look that was not no knocking cold Cold. But my top five.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, when you talk about number one, your scores, you gotta check, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta you gotta help of argument that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he checked a box and like you said that, he's six eleven six and it's eleven. Yeah, big tree, Big tree, breaking news. Young thug is free today. Probation justin for forty years, served the first five in prison, but they commuted the time as time served. He has fifteen years probation. Hold hold up, hold on. So he was sentenced to forty years to serve the first five in prison, but it was commuted as time already served, followed by fifteen years of probation. He's out. Basically at the end of the day, he's out. He's on probation for the next fifteen years.
Speaker 3: They gave him forty years. Now, I understand they gave him time served. He's been in jail with three years two years, so they give him time served for that. I get that, but I don't understand how you got served. He got sentence forty fifteen years of probation is a long ass time to not fuck up it all.
Speaker 4: We're living in weird times. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Speaker 2: They got them in. The brothers possibly getting out too.
Speaker 4: There was breaking news, crazy right, Yeah, he brought some shit'll be a celebration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, free third. Look Jeff's coming home. They're showing him man perk.
Speaker 2: We appreciate your time and congratulations obviously on the new contracts and everything you have going, Bron. Continue to to continue to be you in a space where not everyone can be themselves.
Speaker 4: I appreciate y'all. Yeah, y'all keep doing the same. Man leaves showing us how to do it. Is gonna call y'all violation because y'all be traveling like a mother these motherfuckers everywhere, But y'all doing your thing, y'all.
Speaker 1: Man, love y'all. Man.
Speaker 4: I remember when Bro, I remember when it first started. Y'all took a gamble, roll the dice man, and look where y'all at.
Speaker 2: We got some merch man.
Speaker 4: Tried to be funny, and ship man going up there. Steg Man tried to be funny talking about man size. You were two X motherfucker. You know I don't want no two x X the tenth grade motherfuckero x five bigs right now.
Speaker 1: We might just have to get him a coffee table.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that merch.
Speaker 4: Curtain what nigga?
Speaker 1: You try to be funny that ship two? I wish I was.
Speaker 2: We got a new all the smoke lighter we're working with.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I know what you can do with that. What you mean we got We gotta.
Speaker 2: Remember last time you said you you came through and with us high for a couple of days.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean I tap it though.
Speaker 2: We got all the smoke you probably you probably give that to wife.
Speaker 1: He appreciate.
Speaker 2: And we got our new coffee table book. Bro Come on, man, the journey five years in the making.
Speaker 1: You love it. Yeah, your your weed.
Speaker 2: Story is actually here, you talk about it. Where can they get that out again?
Speaker 1: The book dot com?
Speaker 2: You can get that book at all the Smoke book dot com. Perky were hats? You know you don't wear no hat. You got a nice hairline painted painted all baby man, that's a wrap All the smoke. You can catch this on the Draft Kings Network and all the smoke productions. You to go to your suite All.
Speaker 4: The Smoke, Steak five big spell in the build.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. We're just trying to make it do what we do. Carry on.
Speaker 2: Mm hm
Speaker 1: M hm hm