Speaker 1: Welcome back to She Pivots. I'm Rebecca Mincoff.
Speaker 2: Welcome to She Pivots, the podcast where we talk with women who dared to pivot out of one career and into something new and explore how their personal lives impacted these decisions. I'm your host Emily Tish Sussman, and this week we have on a guest again, Rebecca Minkoff. Were re releasing her episode because when we recorded it last year, we had no idea that she was about to become a real housewife of New York. So we caught up with Rebecca this week, found out all about what that filming was like, what she's looking forward to, maybe not looking forward to, and then we have the original conversation with her. Afterwards we hear all about her pivot into fashion, pivot out to the Female Founder's Collective, and hosting her own podcast, and now into reality star Enjoy. My name is Rebecca Mincoff.
Speaker 1: I'm a designer, podcaster, author, mother four, co founder of the Female Founder Collective, and real housewife of New York City. Okay, so how is this new title feeling for you? You know, Heavyweights the Crown, Emily, Well, it's funny because I feel like we have so much explaining to do. We're none of us are housewives, so it's very weird to call myself one because I do not identify as a rich woman who has nothing to do all day. I'm definitely working my ass off, and so are all the other ladies.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I would definitely know that would be like about the last thing I would ever call you is a housewife.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know, I am dreams of being a housewife, but not yet. So then what made you want to do it?
Speaker 2: And this is how I felt.
Speaker 1: I thought that there was an opportunity to be part of their revival or the reboot, I should say, of showcasing eight very successful female entrepreneurs that are all diverse backgrounds, places, ethnicities, And could that be a narrative that, yes, there's drama, there's got to be drama or no one's watching. We all know that, But could that also be something that's just seen and celebrated because there's not enough of us, right. It's also I said it in an earlier interview, like it's great for like there's a whole host of women that are either fans of the brand and grew up with the brand or new ones that I could reach, and if they get to know me better and they like what they see, like, it's a great business opportunity as well. So those were some of the reasons why I decided to do it. We're also celebrating our twentieth anniversary, and I thought, let's just get out there, and what a better platform to be doing that with? So why is this?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why is this? What a better platform?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, we're going to attach this to the interview that you and I did earlier this year together, and so I'm interested into where I like, when we did this interview, I didn't know that you were engaged with the housewives. I don't know if you were already filming them, had ended filming the beginning, or if you were in even discussions with them. So I definitely didn't ask any questions about it. But you know, we talked through your evolution, like your own pivots, your own moments, and how you built your fashion brand. And then when you were a little bit removed, it gave you the space to think about, Okay, what else can I do for female founders? And then you started the podcast, you started the Female Founders and you started supporting other businesses through that.
Speaker 1: Like, how does this This isn't the most.
Speaker 2: Obvious move to follow your trajectory, so like, why this platform to follow that same thinking that.
Speaker 1: You had had. Well, yes, it is definitely veering left. But what I will say is I've always taken risks. We've always done the things that did not seem like following the straight path. And at the time it doesn't seem like it makes any sense, and then later on people are like, oh, wow, you were the first to do talk to influencers, store the future, wearables, you know, talk to your customer, all these things that seemed crazy. So in my book, while it does seem cuckoo, there is a rhyme and reason for why I decided to do it. And I think when you start unpacking who watches this show? For the most part, it's women in my exact demographic is also very smart, accomplished, talented women as well. Who for them this show is like a respite from like their crazy lives.
Speaker 2: It was funny.
Speaker 1: A good friend of my husband's is an accomplished, award winning director and when she found out this was more exciting for her than like being at the Sundance Film Festival, and so, you know, the opportunity to show another dimension of myself was something I've thought long and hard about because you only get a certain slice on my podcast.
Speaker 2: And I'm mostly interviewing. You only get a certain slice on.
Speaker 1: Social which were we are showcasing a brand and product, and so how do you then just add more dimensionality to who I am? And hopefully that means you know, you want to connect more in whatever way. I mean, I feel like the side they probably want to focus on in the show is mostly personal like you personally, your kids or family like stuff that you've kind of kept to yourself. Yes, but I'm a friend of and what that means, and most people don't know that is most of my private life still stays pretty private. And we did that for a number of reasons. I have very young children and I was not ready to expose them to that, and my husband at the moment has.
Speaker 2: No interest on being on the show.
Speaker 1: So between him having no interests in my young children, like, you know, you'll see slices of it, but it's not, you know, heavily featured, which is what a friend of kind of means. Yeah, Ok, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's funny you were saying that you know, people would necessarily expect it of you. Do you remember how you told me that you were because we are friends, how you told me that you were doing this? Remind me, remind everyone. Yeah, it's that I I invited you to attend a Gotham game because I invited all of nice friends. I said, guys, everybody come see got the FC. We just bought the women soccer team, Like I want all of my friends to come. And you wrote back and you were like, do you want the Real Housewives there? And I was like, yeah, totally, Like who doesn't, but.
Speaker 1: Like, do you know that? Oh my surprise that one? And I truly could not have been more surprised. Yes, a lot of people were surprised, and I've gotten a lot of like, so, so why did you do this?
Speaker 2: Why did you open yourself up to this hatred that you're about to get? Yeah, I mean it's sort of inevitable that Like that's the point, right, I mean, not like the point, but like that's how the drama stays, is that like people bring things and they have feelings about it, and like the hatred, like how what are you preparing for? And how have you prepared yourself for it? So so the girls on the cast have all prepared me. They said, do no longer will you read comments or engage with them. Someone else should do that for you, because that's where the fans can get brutal. They also said, take off and remove all Google alerts on yourself. I have not done that yet because I feel the need to know what is being said about me in the press, and I think you know.
Speaker 1: I interviewed a guest, Kristen from Nomadical Wines on my podcast and I love my last question for passing along advice, and she was like, only take advice from women whose lives you want, And I just am reinforcing that, like, if this is not a woman whose life I want, do not listen, do not engage, And that helps, I think, weed out a lot of the nasty stuff that's about to be unleashed. And with the nasty is also great, right, there's incredible opportunities ahead and I'm excited for that to happen.
Speaker 2: It has put you in this sort of like sisterhood and camaraderie of a very small group of people whose lives have been opened up and exposed in this way to your point that you know, like the New York reboot is women that have businesses that are definitely not housewives.
Speaker 1: It's actually kind of not.
Speaker 2: True like the majority of the housewives of the women who have been on Housewives, do you feel a camaraderie with women who have been on other franchises? Like, do you feel connected to them? I mean, you guys do have this kind of like crazy unique thing. It's called a trauma bond.
Speaker 1: That's the word for it. That's the word for it. It's it's almost like you know what they've been through and someone can try and explain to you what it's like. And Jenna Lyons tried to explain to me what it was like before we started filming. It's like telling a woman who's never been pregnant what it's like to like give birth, and it can be intense. You know. By nature, I am a girl's girl and I want women to succeed, and so when women are fighting and coming for each other, it's in my nature to want to de escalate, diffuse and I know that inherent in this show what makes it interesting and drama. So it's this tension for me of I want to solve this situation, but I can't.
Speaker 2: What could I do?
Speaker 1: And I found that I was like the Jewish mother being like, let me feed you, let me cook for you. Who knows if they'll cut it out, but I swear to God you could put together a montage of any time they're fighting, I immediately get up and I'm like, trying to serve people food.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's actually going to be an incredible cut, like all the TCD Stone cut, like Becky cooking trying.
Speaker 1: To serve people food.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean on that point, I feel like the format of the show like doesn't really align with the way I would like emotionally live my life. In that I don't know, I either like wouldn't be that confrontational. I would like be confrontational and try to just sort of like do it in the least is explosive way possible. And then I might also hold a really long grutch, which doesn't really work well if you're trying to move a storyline across. Like, how did you find your personality vibing with the format?
Speaker 1: I think with the format, I was very much like the only way that I winted this is by being myself an authentic. So when you know, one of the women had something that she said about me went viral, I think people expect you to hold the grudge, bring it up, have a big fight about it. And I was like, I brought it up. She apologized, I accepted her apology. We're still friends, and that is wild to watch people be like but she said it, and I'm like, yes, and we are mature women, and so I have to go against that belief and grain of like we're going to have beef forever. We even joke about it right now and we joke about you know, you'll see some things we joke about later. So it's just like just taking the air out of it a little bit because I wanted to also just be me and that's who I am. I'm not someone that like holds a grudge forever. And you know, unless it's irreparable and you're a crazy person, we can have a conversation and normalize just being mature.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things that's always struck me as probably I don't know, I guess maybe like difficult to maintain over a number of seasons is that you might be sort of forced into people that you find to be crazy or I find you know that anybody would find to be crazy because you actually can't choose everybody involved. So do you see that as being like was that a limiting factor for you when filming it?
Speaker 1: And do you see it as being a limiting factor moving forward?
Speaker 2: So I think it depends if someone is higher.
Speaker 1: Is if someone is there to just be crazy and be entertaining, that's just an energy that you learn to sort of deal with. Is someone is there to be mean spirited, evil, spiteful, really causing true drama and pain. That's another level of things that get hard to deal with. And I think I come at it from two places. I'm not engaging with it. I will not give that life, But also where did that person come from and what trauma did they experience that made them that way? And so I have to have a little empathy when they are that way, not sympathy, but empathy of like, wow, you just had to endure a lot, and good job on surviving. But I'm not engaging with it and I'm not going to validate it. I definitely feel that.
Speaker 2: Okay, on a totally different topic, I'm very excited for the purse you have coming out, which one, The Wicked One, Oh, the Wicked One. Yes, it's almost here.
Speaker 1: Are we allowed to talk about it?
Speaker 2: Yes? We can?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: How I'm the biggest musical theater fan love Wicked obviously forever and ever. To be associated with this film is unbelievable. So how did.
Speaker 1: This come about that you got to have a piece in it? This came about ten days after giving birth to my son. I was asked to fly to London.
Speaker 2: All expenses paid, first class.
Speaker 1: Wine and dined all weekend with like Mattel and Lego and whatever.
Speaker 2: And I was in my hormone high and I was like, how could I do that? Can I smuggle my non passport baby across? You know?
Speaker 1: And after a while I was like, you know what, I'm choosing my baby, Like I'm going to give this opportunity up. And I just wrote a letter like I just gave birth, I cannot possibly travel ten days after having him. Thank you so much for this opportunity. If there's a way to engage with you at a later date, let us know. And they're like, send your second best person. So I sent Mary. And Mary was my head of pr and.
Speaker 2: Partnerships, and she went, and it was this long process.
Speaker 1: Of not only understanding what they wanted, who they were looking for, but how do we as a brand bring what people love and is iconic about Rebecca Makeoff and the film. And we got to see footage and props and the makings of which was so incredibly special. When I tell you that no detail was spared, Like nine million two of us were planted for one of the scenes. You know, they rebuilt from scratch. I'm now blanking on the name of the university. You're gonna fill in the blank, shiz shiz, dear old shiz.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you. I'm like, gosh, what was the name of it?
Speaker 1: So, and they made it handicap accessible as they built it, you know, like just the thought of, Okay, we don't want to use CGI, we want this to be really real for people. So and then you go into like the grimmery and like, just it's fucking epic what they did. So I was really inspired. We came out with two bags. I wanted to do more, but you know, I am surrounded by business people and they're like two is enough.
Speaker 2: One for Galinda, one for alphah Bah.
Speaker 1: One is a hot pink patent like box bag with this swarros eat crystal strap not real Swasky, I guess I can't say the name, but crystal strap. And then one is based on one of our best selling bags called the Easy and it's stud pattern is from excerpted from the Grimmery and there's a great tag in both bags said don't hide your magic. And it comes out in November.
Speaker 2: It'll be in the windows at Bloomingdale's.
Speaker 1: I'm part of their big activation and it'll be available on our site and it's limited.
Speaker 2: Addition, so it's going to sell out. Okay, that is so cool. Are we going to see any of that in the Housewives? Was that happening at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we got to film a really cool scene where London sized daughter who's a huge musical theater fan, gets to come into the office. She gets to touch and hold the props like we got the props delivered as a surprise for her. She leaves with a bag and I take her through the makings of you know and why we chose that bag, so you'll get a little sneak peek.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so cool. That's going to be so special. Okay, this was just at our quick update. Do you have anything else that we should talk about?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a prankster and you're going to see that in the episodes. You know, you might see some things that I'm trying to make some points about rumors that are spreading and how we can expose the rumor spreader. Ooh okay, that is spicy. I love it. Rebecca, thanks so much for coming on, and now for all our listeners, onto the original episode.
Speaker 2: Into your Face as always.
Speaker 1: My name is Rebecca min Coff. I'm a fashion designer and the co founder of Female Founder Collective. I have a podcast, Superwomen with Rebecca Mincoff, and I'm a best selling author Fearless. And you have four kids, and I have a mother with four children, which blows my.
Speaker 2: Mind, like three sent me into chaos. Four I cannot imagine. I'm going home after this to take a nap. I'm well deserved. Now where did you grow up? So the first nine years of my life was San Diego. The second nine years of my life was Tampa, Florida. That was not my parents' intention, but they saw that there was nothing happening in Tampa and that was great for raising children and not having them get into trouble. So my dad was a doctor and he had got an opening in Florida and he was like, well, I want to change of scenery. And that was it. You know, you really launched your career, made a name for yourself first as a fashion designer. And you said that the first thing you designed was your butt mitzvah outfit.
Speaker 1: It was. It was the first thing that I designed in war successfully. I'll say that I had the opportunity to work with this New York City designer who had moved to Podunkville where I lived, and she taught me how to sew and make patterns, and I was so excited. And as a young girl at twelve turning thirteen, when you're entering womanhood but you don't look like a woman, I was like, I got a design address that like maybe can show off my burgeoning bosom. That was It's weird that that was like for my bot mitzvah. That's what I wanted, was like show off my chest. But I had like double a boobs aka nothing, and so I was like a square neck like medieval times. And then I'll get like a little push up raw to help me. Soon after her show stopping butt Mitzvah outfit. Becca continued her creative endeavors and enrolls at a performing arts school as a dancer, and then in high school, I hit a really tough time where my teachers I don't want to pivot us too hard. But I was a dancer and a performing arts high school, but kept getting told like, you're too tall, you ruin the symmetry, your boobs are too big, like just everything terrible you could tell a young woman. And I was a painfully thin, very awkward young girl, and I couldn't fit into regular clothes and I was bullied for it. And being able to sew and make things fit me gave me a lot of confidence and it made me feel incredibly empowered. And so I just became addicted to the idea like, oh it doesn't fit, no big deal, I can you know, take it in or add this to it. And so that was just something I just I wanted to sew all the time. And then I would make things for my friends and it just became a great way to like hang out and you end up making something.
Speaker 2: So you grew up jewish. Was that a big part of your identity you had about mizphone. It was a huge part of my identity. It was every Friday with Shabbat I had about Mitzvah. My dad was very serious about observing the holidays up until the point, I would say about fifteen, and then all of a sudden it was like, uh, we did that, which was weird because he was so strict about it, and so I was already by that time. I went to jew camp starting at thirteen, and by sixteen I was going to Israel for six weeks for a workshop program with all the other kids who were part of the camps. And at eighteen, I had the opportunity to go live on a kibootz for a year, and all my friends were going. But I was so desperate to get here and to start working and designing, and I felt like if I took a year off getting drunk and living on a kibotz, that I might be, you know, behind, And so it was. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. With Sanatka on that trip and here being New York. Yeah, so after high school, you are like, get me to New York.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I thought I wanted to be a geneticist, and so I went to Johns Hopkins like to like see the school, and I thought, I will die in a laboratory. I will just not make it. And if I have to do this for seven years before I can practice, and I really found out like what it takes to be in that world. I thought, Wow, I don't want this, and then I was like, maybe I don't even want to go to college. And in my house, my parents are kind of hippies. Everything was untraditional, so you know, they said to any all of us like, it's cool if you want to go to college, but you don't have to, and if you do, you're paying for it. And it was kind of like no pressure, so none of us actually ended up going. What else was non traditional in your household? I would say that the things you think a mother should do for you weren't done or a parent, you know, whether it's it's the little things like signing you up for summer camp, and it was like, no, here are the forms you fill them out down to My brothers wanted to go visit their friends and they were thirteen, and she put them on a greyhound from Tampa to San Diego. So I think everything we wanted, we had to work for. There was a ledger in the kitchen and it was about how you know what you earned. And I had to cook dinner twice a week, and I had to doshes twice a week, and so some of those things are normal. But I think a lot of this hands off approach to like if you want to figure it out, was really there. I did negotiate at age nine with my art teacher about her prices because my mom was like, if you wanted these classes, they're too expensive, but you can talk to her about lowering the price.
Speaker 2: At the time, did you realize that your parents were a little more hands off than others around you.
Speaker 1: I started realizing it. I was angry about it, and I was pissed because I would see like my friend would just she celebrated Christmas, and I would go there and be like, you get all these presents. I get one, and your parents take you on trips and I have to earn it. Like I was just like, whoa, this is a different world. Yeah, but I'm trying to raise my children in the same way. You want it, you earn it, and I'm hoping it rubs off on the entrepreneurial side on them the way it did with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at what point did your perspective flip on the parenting.
Speaker 1: Having not my son? My son, my twelve year old has always been grateful and gracious, but my daughter like I want, I want, I want, I want, and living in New York City, you know, and I'm like, oh no, we are not taking that route with you.
Speaker 2: You will earn this. Yeah. Yeah, it's hard. I think it's particularly hard in the city.
Speaker 1: But I also think, like, you get invited to a party in New York City and I don't even know the words for it, just the goodie bags and the bouncy cat, like everything. The abundance is so much that even if you're not providing it to them, they're seeing it and they know it's possible, and it's hard to be like, all right, come back down to earth. Okay, So back to your journey. Was it always fashion that attracts you?
Speaker 2: Like? What about fashion? Okay?
Speaker 1: Going back for Hanukah, every year we would get like one thing and I would always get a magazine subscription to w or Vogue, and then my brother would steal it and I would kill him when it finally come to me, I would devour it. And I feel like I have to be in New York. That's where everything's happening, and for everyone listening, it's pre any social I mean, there's nothing magazines are it. So my brother had gone to a party and he came home one night and he said, I just met a designer. He was in from New York doing a trunk show at the local Podunk Nordstrum in Tampa, and he gave me his number. He said he takes interns. Maybe you should call him. And so I literally called this guy and he picked up. He's like, yeah, come up. When do you want to come up? We paid minimum wage and I was like, oh, it's that easy, Okay, I'll be there. And I told my parents. I was like, so I'm moving to New York and I'm going to start working, and you know, we got to go on to Craigslist and find me an apartment. And my mom and dad were like, we're not paying for you to go to an apartment. Like you wanted to do this, you figured out. So what we finally hobbled together was I lived with my friend in Fordham University. We shared a bed. He was gay, so it was like it was fine that we shared a bed. He would steak me in every night and then over like Russiashana, my parents came up and made a deal with my cousin. They're like, all right, she's going to sleep on the floor and babysit your kid. Well, you let her live with you. And that was, you know how it all started.
Speaker 2: So what did you do as an intern?
Speaker 1: So my first day, the CEO, who ended up becoming a mentor, was like, ugh, you're just another pretty girl he's let in here. Day one was you're going to work in the shipping department, and I was so angry and I was like, I am better than this. But I really learned a lot about packaging and shipping. And then it was like organize a supply closet, answer the phones, cuts watches, call these stores, make appointments, and every day was different. And as I began to get used to sort of not knowing what I was going to do that day, it just got exciting to be able to learn every sort of part of the business. And then about six months in, I said, I think you should hire me full time. I've proven my worth and I want to work in the design area and she was like, great.
Speaker 2: Yes you have. So she began to design for Craig Tailor, but all the time she continued to keep one foot in as a dancer, thinking that might be the path she would pursue.
Speaker 1: I was so happy to be there, and I was still kind of like, do I still be a dancer? I was taking classes at Alvin Alien. I had gotten into their two year certificate program and I was like, oh, you know, I forget where I was. But someone's like, you should be a model, and I was like, maybe I'll be a model until I went into a castaing and the guy was like, you know, you're really hairy, and then he reached over and he's like and you got to get rid of this and he grabbed my stomach fat and I was like, I'm going to just put that idea to bed, because okay, maybe I'll be a dancer or designer. And then I said this to this woman, Komy, the CEO, and she's like, you need to decide what you want to do, Like you can't be all over the place. It's time to get focused and you know what is it? And I was like, okay, she might be right. So I said I'll pursue design, and so I ended up working there for a total of around three years.
Speaker 2: Wow. Do you feel like that was the right advice for you in that moment?
Speaker 1: It was because I was just like, maybe I'll be this and maybe I'll be that, And I feel like those types of maybees are great if you're sixteen, but they're not great if you're nineteen and you decided not to go to college and you moved to New York to work for a designer like Pickoling.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: She did. She started small custom making a small collection of pieces herself. I had a five piece collection. I live New York was one of them, literally bought off the street but cut up and me dazzled because that was pre Etsy and people wanted DIY and an actress, Jenna Elfman asked for it via my brother again he seems to be a connection and senator on September ninth, she wore on Jay Leno Two months later and said my name on national televisions One actress hand a lot of fun. She could be seen on the sitcom Accidentally on Purpose, which airs Wednesday night. It's another Networks.
Speaker 2: Please welcome to Jenna.
Speaker 1: Elfman, and that was kind of like the big moment of being in the magazine and making all these shirts and nine months straight of that that.
Speaker 2: Shirt, riding the high of her new success. It was her mentor that once again played a key role in nudging her towards her true potential.
Speaker 1: And then Koomi the same sea called me and was like, you're fired, Go do what you love.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah you were so young. I was twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was scary, but I think that when you have nothing right and you were fueled by your work and buy potential and opportunity, I was like, what's the worst that could happen? I end up on my parents' couch, right, And to me that was like, Okay, that'll suck and I'll have to regroup, but like, let me just try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you did the T shirts for a little while. Yeah, about nine months, it's all. I did, just these five T shirts.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then I started calling stores and I was like, by the way, I have more than a shirt, you know, let me show you. And then one store in these village was like, I'll take this blouse on consignment, and then I would literally given the plows and then go into Union Square and pass out postcards like new Designer Alert now, like I was one of those people standing there like handing this out. And then I'd run back to the store and be like did it sell and he'd be like yeah, Like all right, I passed out five hundred postcards for one sale, so if I want to sell more, I.
Speaker 2: Gotta do one thousand.
Speaker 1: And I would go back to Union Square, and you know, I was scrappy. I would find out who magazine editors were. Email was new, but I would like figure it out and then email them all images. And then I found one burgeoning website called raven Style, and she would buy stuff and I'd be like, I need the deposit before I make the goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to ask how you had the capital and how you had the connections to be producing at that kind of scale. It was not.
Speaker 1: It was not a big scale. It was a very tiny scale. The amazing woman from Raven Style would give me a deposit because she knew I had didn't have it, so she'd give me enough. I'd go uptown, buy the fabric, buy the crystals, make it, and then deliver it to her for the balance of the payment. So I worked like that for a long time and then I said to my dad, I would like to open up a credit card. Could you co sign it with me? And because he had great credit, I got a lot of money. But he was like, just want to let you know, like I'm not paying for this card, like you are responsible. And that's when I got into trouble. When I didn't have enough orders or I had to buy fabric or whatever, I'd put it on the card and be like, hey, yea, I'll pay it back, and then you know, I slowly racked up a lot of debt. That inevitably is when I had to call my brother and that's you know, that's when we begin working together and the bags started to take off. So that was kind of the all right, I'm out of my leak on the business side of stuff, and I actually need someone to help me.
Speaker 2: Can you actually talk through with some of those steps are souse. I think that a lot of people when they're thinking about their pivot, go immediately to product and think, oh, well, I'll just make a product and I'll sell it, and I think not having an understanding of the ebbs and flows. I think, particularly of apparel business I think ends up surprising a lot of people sounds like, including you, Oh, it's surprising.
Speaker 1: So I think with apparel it's really you know, if your dream is to be a designer, And again I would give different advice if you're a T shirt versus a cature gown. But I think that having your own website is in credit important whether you're selling anything or not. And I think today there's a lot more creativity in how you can take orders. You know, one of the things when NFTs were all the rage was the idea that you could treat the NFT as a token and you know, by this NFT you will get the dress too, but you also get to see me in my studio working or at a photo shoot, or access to things that money can't buy. And so I think that's a smart and powerful way to raise money. And I think that the idea of the Tupperware party is not dead. It's like who do you have and know with circles of influence that could host and support you. When I look back, there was a woman in Los Angeles that would like put out wine and cheese and she's like, bring seventy five bags. They'll be gone by the end of the night, and she would invite all her friends and they were excited, and the bags were gone and I had cash. And so I think that as you begin to look at your business, there's a lot of non traditional ideas you can use to do it. But so many women are like, oh, I'm starting an apparel company. I need to raise money, you know. And I think that that's the wrong approach because most investors know they will not see her return on an investment of just an apparel company. That's just not how it works. And so I say start small, start focused, be the best in whatever it is, even if it's a white T shirt and why, and from there, really make your network help support you and work for you. She continued to build and grow, but slower than she wanted. She craved another big break, and that's when she came up with her iconic morning after bag.
Speaker 2: You know that one. They're perfectly disheveled, can fit everything, but looks like an it girl would carry it.
Speaker 1: Bag and people took notice of what's now known as the iconic morning after bag.
Speaker 2: Now, the original morning after bag was very popular in the mid two thousands, most.
Speaker 1: Notably carried by celebrities Hayden Panitier and Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 2: This is honest one of my favorite bags, just because the functionality of this bag is great. Ship.
Speaker 1: I had just launched the bag. It had a heat in a momentum that I never had with the apparel. It hit a nerve with women in a way that you can only hope happens to everyone.
Speaker 2: And switching to bags that's a much more expensive product, like for you to make? Yeah, was that a decision based on design? Based on presented return?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What was that decision for you?
Speaker 1: The decision for the bag was really about Jenna came back to me. She said, I'm going to be in a feature film. The character wears the bag the entire time. You will not have seen this film because I went straight to DVD. Sadly, okay, I was about to ask you which films colle touched. Bag did not make it to set. It was delivered two hours late. They started filming. It was devastating. When I say, I was like, like the assistant College's like, where is the bag?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then it arrived and she's like we started shooting with another bag, and I was like, can you redo it? She was like no, so my just cru it was terrible. I was like on the corner of like Fifth Avenue near Henry Bendell or wherever that Stora just was like pacing back and forth while I was on the phone with her, and I was like, well, I just I just bought a really expensive bag. My first, you know, I made her a sample. I made me a sample. And then I noticed as I was wearing the sample, so many women were stopping me on the street asking me about, you know, the bag, and I thought, there's something here. Let's see what happens. So a dear friend of mine, who was a stylist that I knew through the industry, was like, I'm gonna have Daily Candy write about it, and we're going to put it in this store that I know in La called Seteen, which is like the go to store for celebrities, and they ordered twelve Daily Candy wrote about it sold out in like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Pretty soon it girls everywhere werek herrying the bag. Lindsay Lohan was photographed with it, and it began to fly off the shelves faster than she could keep up with. So she turned back to her dad looking for financing to keep up with the orders.
Speaker 1: And so I went back to my dad. I was like, all right, I'm not a loser anymore. I actually have something that's working. Do you want to loan me just a little bit more money to make the next production run. He's like absolutely not, Like how are you paying the credit card? Because I'm seeing the bills and the balance isn't really going down that much. It's like one hundred dollars a month, but this is this is sixty grand that you've spent. I was like, all right, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: So I called my brother, and my brother had basic business questions. Is there an LLC? Do you have a TAXID number? All that whatever? And the original intent wasn't like all right, now we're partners. He was just kind of helping me through. He was advancing me capital. He was in the software world. He has a software company, and when he could see the numbers start to really like the orders coming in, like really growing, he was like, oh, there's something here, and he felt comfortable enough with the trajectory of the business that he put his credit card as you know, the funding of things. And then it was his house. He mortgaged his house because we could not get a loan, and the whole v see private equity game hadn't even really started in our industry yet, so we waited seven years before we took outside capital.
Speaker 2: She continued to bootstrap, barely paying herself a salary and supplementing her growing business with other work. I supplemented my T shirt years with styling.
Speaker 1: I was a stylist. I did Heidi Klumb for the first season of Project Runway. They were like, all right, we have one thousand dollars for ten episodes and no budget for wardrobe. Do you want this great job? I was like yes. I was begging people, like I would call Chanelle and like all these things, and everyone would shut the door in my face to lend her.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they didn't you want to lend her do.
Speaker 1: Like reality TV Project Runway, Like that sounds terrible. It was in reality TV was like new and dirty and you know, like beneath people. Yeah, so I had to like rub pennies together to like get her to look good. I even put her in a lot of my stuff at the time. Anyways, so that made me some money. I mean that felt was actually moortant to me, kind of an opportunity to put you in her clothes. Oh no, it was great.
Speaker 2: Did that help with that publicity? That actually helps the line? That was that exposure that helped.
Speaker 1: I mean it was nice because I could use it when I go to a store like oh, Heidi Klum wearing my shirt Patrick, you know, like I could when the series became a success, I could use it working with families complicated. Yeah, how's it been. So we sold the business February of last year, so he is now just an advisor. But I think we had the building years were incredible. He was in his lane, I was in mind. And then when we each figured out our own areas and like started giving each other feedback and advice in each other's lanes, the sparks would fly. And so we had a lot of tough times where we weren't speaking and not getting along and fighting pretty badly. We got a business therapist basically to help us, you know, get back on the same page, and we would do that once a year as like vomit it all out and hopefully come to some sort of alignment. But it was it took a toll on our relationship for sure, Still they.
Speaker 2: Were clearly a good team. Eventually, the brand had grown to over one hundred million in sales and they decided to bring on a new president.
Speaker 1: We brought in this president that we brought her in very early on. Oh, we brought her in before we could afford to pay me. My brother was like, add up your rent and your Ramen budget and let me know what that totals. And I was like, it's twenty three thousand dollars a year. He's like, great, that's your salary. And so then we paid her. And then he didn't take a salary because he was making money from his software. So we brought her in in what year was it two thousand and seven? I believe there's like a two year span, but at its height, we were doing one hundred and ten million in sales and we probably had one hundred employees. It was unbearable. Unbearable, how the pressure, the stress, all of it. Managing a team of eighteen people and being all in it as a designer and then expected to travel to thirty cities, do the waving in the trunk shows, be the face of social you.
Speaker 2: Know, be a mother. It was untenable. So you started having kids, and at what point did you feel like, I can't give this whole portfolio. This eighteen person reporting system is not going to cut it.
Speaker 1: So I was about to go on maternityly with baby number three. It was twenty eighteen, and I had been chasing this idea of I just need another hit. I just need a big hit. So we had this big growth surge with this crossbody that was one ninety five. So I was like, me and the team all day long, what's the next one, what's the next one? Okay, we got it, Let's replicate it exactly how we did the last one and get on this person this person, and it wasn't working. And I was like banging my head against the wall. And then I was like, maybe I don't have it anymore. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this, or maybe there's someone more talented than me. And I was just like circling. And there was a woman at the company who had been designing the under my brother and he's like, why don't you like her run things for a little bit while you go out and she'll off for a fresh perspective. And I was like, take it.
Speaker 2: I'm fucking tired. It's been a long journey.
Speaker 1: It was thirteen years at that point, and so I really left and I handed her off, like, here my mood boards for the next six seasons. Here's everything. I'd tied it with a bow. She was like, great, put it in the trash as soon as I left the room and I went out on leave. And we'd also hired someone we thought was going to be the most incredible person in marketing, and she had a doctorate, and I was like, well, what do I know? Like this woman is clearly learned. Yes, So when I got back, I felt like a stranger in my own company. And the marketing person literally said to me, my job would be easier if you didn't exist.
Speaker 2: The word's done. But it forced her to take a step back and see a larger issue where she could have an impact empowering em founders.
Speaker 1: So by that time, I only had to have one design meeting a week at the time, and I had a lot more time on my hands, and so I was like, great, you know, I'll do more speaking. And you know, that's when I really was like, wow, women are not paid equally, Like I'm in an industry where it's women bashing women, But I had no idea that when you peel outside of the fashion industry, like, there's another struggle going on that I really didn't know about. And so to hear about wage inequality and you know, more men named John than women and CEOs, like, I was just like, holy shit, I thought we were just I thought it was just women being terrible to women.
Speaker 2: I didn't know anything else. How did you find out about it? Like, you were still in the same industry, you were still in your company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I was desperate to make connections and this started earlier in like twenty sixteen with women outside of my industry. So I would host these dinners at my store and like have women like the president of the WM, the private wealth investor for Chase, and you know, a magazine editor or just people outside of my world, and I would hear them talk and I was like, oh shit, you know, there needs to be a way to support women more.
Speaker 2: What do you think you were chasing by starting this dinner series.
Speaker 1: I was chasing a community and a camaraderie that I wasn't able to get within my industry, and I was hungry for outside perspectives.
Speaker 2: The timing is striking me as interesting as looking for a community of women, because when I started this podcast, I had an anticipation that a lot of women's kind of dark moment that led to their pivot, like might be COVID or might be like whatever, there's like personal thing that happened to them. In my case, it was having a lot of kids all at the same time. What I did not anticipate is that I hear often more often than I thought, is twenty sixteen the election of Donald Trump as something that really changed a lot of women's perspectives. Yeah, I just hear it much more often than I anticipated. So that is the same year that you started these dinners. Do you think, even if it wasn't, the election in general just sort of like the context that led you to start them.
Speaker 1: It's a good question. I don't know if it was a conscious thing. It just felt like I was suffocating in my own industry and it was so not supportive. I remember being on air with another designer and the interviewer said, Rebecca, you make my favorite dress, and then I was cut out of the segment, and I thought, now I really must have like done a shitty job as a guest. And I saw the producer a couple of weeks later said I'm so sorry we had to cut you, like she's best friends with my boss, and that designer was so offended that she wasn't the favorite designer that she had you cut out. And I was like, this is gross. You know, in twenty sixteen, I was two years postpartum. I was like, you know, getting myself back together and out there, and so two years of meeting and talking and being around women. Then when I had the time, I was like, we I need to do something to.
Speaker 2: Support So what was the first project that you jumped into in twenty eighteen once you've you're back from attorney even you realized I can only do one design meeting a week. I've got more time.
Speaker 1: Well, I said to this really smart marketing person. I was like, so, what's our plan. She's like, well, we are going to use you in social but not yet.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, now what do I do?
Speaker 1: So I had like two weeks of ladies who lunch and I was like, I'm going crazy, like I can't do this, and so she said we should start a podcast. I said, well, I wanted to start a podcast two years ago, and I was told it was not a good idea, and she's like, it's a great idea, and I was like, great, I'm on it. And so I began the process of figuring out how to do that, and then we were at a party for it was like a rooftop event for some congresswoman or someone to get elected, and I just remember going, I need to find a way to make women rich. And the only way that I know how is if we can know who they are, we can have a community around them, and we can support them with education. And so I just remember thinking about this idea and I said to a woman on the team, I was like, what do you think about this idea. I was on the Council for Women and Girls with Melissa de Rosa and the governor, and I was like, I'm going to bring this to the state and the state should have a state seal that recognizes women own businesses, and blah blah blah and the red tape and the calls and the just ad nauseum, and I remember and I just reconnected with her today. A woman who was an executive director on the committee was like, why are you asking the state's permission? Just do this yourself. And I was like, fuck yeah, I'm doing it for myself, and that's when I took it into my hands and I said, this has to launch. The reason why I wanted to start Female Founder Collective was I wanted there to be some recognizable symbol where we as females a support and know who is running the business. So I couldn't be more excited to be a part of the Female Founder Collective and really give women all across America and hopefully the world the opportunity to recognize female made, female supported, and female powered brands with and a longtime supporter who was at IMG, Leslie Russo, was like, I'm going to put everything behind this. So you get the photographer, the makeup, the hair, like, everything's covered. We'll shoot it, We'll launch it with a panel at fashion Week, and I had a website with like leave your email here if you'd like our application, and that was it. That was all we had was me and my assistant at the time.
Speaker 2: So that's but I mean, that's so interesting that you launched it within the context of an industry that you were actually trying to get out of.
Speaker 1: Right, But I needed the eyeballs and the press and media around that thing I felt to get momentum.
Speaker 2: So did you launch with a cohort or you just launched with an idea.
Speaker 1: I launched with an idea. Apply here, we'd send you the form, we'd review it. If you passed, you were in. And then what you were in was like we were making it up at the time, but there's members that are still around from that time, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: We're five years old, So how did you start to feel like it was becoming the hitting mass? So you had the community that you wanted.
Speaker 1: So in the first i'd say two weeks, we hit three thousand applications and I was like, oh shit, we have to do something with this now. So the first step was okay, here's this you know, once we've approved and vetted you, here's the CEOs you can place on your website or your products. That was kind of most important. And then it was like, well, we need a day, like we need an event. And I was about three months in when I met my co founder and CEO Ali Wyatt, and she came on and she had been at Girl Bossy. She was the CEO of Girl Boston, so she knew how to like structure this.
Speaker 2: So we started.
Speaker 1: Planning Female Founder's Day, which ended up being in March of twenty nineteen. So all of our focus went to, like, oh, right, community you're in and our first big kickoff is going to be in March, and we're going to have a day where it's not a bunch of women just talking on panels, because you can get that from anyone, but we're gonna have vetted experts giving you ninety minute workshops on whatever topic is your pain point, and so we kind of have you know, we had our hero keynotes, and then the day was like what's pick your poison? And so after that then we said, okay, our next event is this, and then we were able to have enough kind of community events and then online events that that was kind of how we started.
Speaker 2: Rebecca spent most of her time building Female Founder Collective, letting her eponymous brand run without her until it couldn't any longer.
Speaker 1: Things within the business shifted. I got rid of the two ladies. The business needed me really back, and so by that time I had a CEO, co founder, I had a head of operations, and so I was like, all right, I'm going to be focusing my attention back into my company again. I felt like it was at a space where when Ali and I came together, she was like, I really want to be the CEO, and I really want to run this day to day, Like what part do you want in it? Because it won't work if we both want to do that. And I was like, great, I want to help with high level strategy goals, pull in big contacts, and like use my network to really amplify this. But I don't want to be in the day today of managing the daily task. I already have this other job. So I think for me it worked out that I could then turn my attention back to Rebecca mink Off and still be involved, but not on the nitty gritty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like putting the right team together in each place for you to be at your best and highest use in both correct. So, what was one point where at the time you were like, Okay, this is really terrible. This is like a low point for me, and now in retrospect you see it as having really set you up for the success that you have now.
Speaker 1: I think the low point was that day that I got back that she said that to me, and that that person and her and let's say there was a total of three were there for let's say nine months, and feeling like I was a complete and total stranger in my own company with no power, and people say, but this was your company, Like how did you have no power? And I'm like, at a certain point, you have word, you have you know. My brother was aligned with them because he thought that they knew what they were doing, and so I would be like, well, listen to me, you know, and like one day I found out that the speak had changed. It was like, we're loving this, and I was like, no, the caption is from me to the customer, it's not we and they're like, well, she said to change it. I'd be like I'm erased. And that was the worst time in my life. And what I have trouble rectifying is that awful woman inspired things that bring me joy? How did that awfulness from that? I got these two things, my podcast and female Founder Collective, And so sometimes I'm like, I hate you, but thank you.
Speaker 2: You know. It's a very weird feeling. Yeah, No, I mean I feel like it's like the whole premise of this entire show that like at the time, you think, oh my god, it can't get any worse than it, and I feel like you kind of to get to like a real low in order for your perspective to shift, because just as human beings, we just we don't change drastically without being forced to. Like it is not on our NATR, yeah for sure, but it does give birth something totally now. Thank you so much for joining us. I really feel like this has gone by in one second. I could talk to you all day long.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Rebecca continues to juggle it all as a mom of four running her Rebecca Mincoff label while continuing to prioritize empowering women through the Female Founder Collective. If you're not already, head over to her podcast, Superwoman and subscribe. I'm biased, but I think our episode together on Superwoman.
Speaker 1: Is one of the best.
Speaker 2: Be sure to follow Rebecca on Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter at Rebecca Mincoff. Thanks for listening. Thanks for listening to this episode of She Pivots. If you made it this far, you're a true pivoter, So thanks for being part of this community. I hope you enjoyed this episode, and if you did leave us a rating, please be nice. Tell your friends about us to learn more about our guests, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the Podcast, or sign up for our newsletter where you can get exclusive behind the scenes content, or on our website she pivots the Podcast talk to You Next Week. Special thanks to the she pivots team, Executive producer Emily eda Velosik, Associate producer and social media connoisseur Hannah Cousins, Research director Christine Dickinson, Events and logistics coordinator Madeline Sonovak, and audio editor and mixer Nina pollock I endorse t pivots