Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour.
Speaker 2: Two on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show, come on in stay a while. Cooper to Gene Eagles star rookie had to pick six in the Super Bowl. He'll join us coming up. We'll talk some basketball as well as Kevin Durant joins the thirty thousand point club. Nick Wright, Kansas City Chiefs fan Fox Sports one, host of First Things First. He'll join us in an hour from now. Speaking of Kevin Durant going over thirty thousand points, I think it's a slight when we just say he's one of the greatest scores of all time. He's one of the greatest players of all time. Here is Kevin Durant after the game last night on the players that inspired him.
Speaker 3: I stole so much from Derek and Keen.
Speaker 4: That is criminal, you know.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it might have been a little bit more athletic on my one legger than Derk, but he is, He's the king, He's the god it as so. I've just always been inspired by a rates, always wanted to reach their level. It's an exciting time to be NBA players, especially the time that I came up, it was so many game changing players that kind of defied the norms as players, and those two were some of the guys that did that. So I've always been inspired by those guys and to be in that company, man, it's just surreal.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. Dirk was probably KD before KD that you couldn't stop him. He had great range. Now he didn't have the handle that KD and wasn't a better all around player or that kind of player. He was just a score. Dirk was going to score on you. The a kem Elijahwan if you want to study footwork, if you're a basketball player, whether you're a point guard, you're a big man. A kem olijauan stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Two Premier League clubs with a lot of history face off once again. Tottenham defeated Man United once already this season. Now they try to go for the sweep at home. It'll be live today at eleven thirty am Eastern only on Peacock, which is where you can watch this program. Thank you for downloading the app and we'll get phone calls coming up eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. The Eagles Super Bowl Parade will be on Friday. Baseball spring training camps are opening up. That's right, they usually do in February. Pictures and Catchers Report. That used to be a really big deal. I remember when I was at Sports Center. Oh the first video you got some but where in Arizona or Florida. Pictures and Catchers And all was was you'd see these guys just throwing to a catcher and you'd hear that going into the mint, and you're like, yeah, little BP, Yeah, yeah, I'm ready for that March. We're ready. No, it's February Pictures and Catchers Report. It's Seaton Poll question for an hour two is going to be what I'll try.
Speaker 5: To find the right way to word this, uh to make it most interesting. But is calling Kevin Durant a great scorer insulting?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say insulting as much as it's it's it's not a true compliment. And maybe we're maybe it's a slight maybe maybe it's semantics here. It just doesn't feel like we're taking in the totality of his game, which is unfortunate because but I think we've always focused on Kevin Durantis's score. I don't think you ever go maybe he's a pretty good passer or he can play some defense.
Speaker 5: Well, when we talk about him, it's like you can't really stop his shot, right, I mean, the only way that you're going to stop it is if he just misses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although he's had his shot blocked a couple of times and I was surprised, but that kind of you know, arm length over seven feet, and I thought, has his shot his jumper ever been blocked? And I think there's a kid with the Portland Trailblazers who might have gotten him maybe last last year. There is a stat of guys who have blocked Durance jumper, which I was like, wow, that many and that might be five or six in NBA history, But still that shot like Joker. Has Jokers jumper ever gotten blocked? Unless it's from behind that you're gonna block it. Vincent Goodwill has all the answers. Yahoo Sports senior NBA writer and host of The Good Word podcast. Is it a slight to say Kevin Durantz one of the greatest scorers of all time, it's about a slight Dan.
Speaker 6: It's just limiting, you know what I mean. Like when you say someone's a great score, you're saying that's.
Speaker 4: The only thing that they're great at.
Speaker 6: Like when I say Carmelo Anthony is a great score, that's like the first thing that you think of. And this if you take a while before you go to maybe the other things of this game. And I'm not insulting Carmelo in any way, but you think of Carmelo as the first, as a great scorer first and foremost, you think of kd Or you should think of kat as one of the greatest all around players this league has ever seen. Unfortunately, in the era of Lebron James and Stephen Curry, you tend to limit him or discuss him in other ways a lot of times that have nothing to do with basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think with Steph Curry, he's the greatest shooter of all time. I don't think we talk about anything else with him. Now, granted that's a great compliment, but if I said Steph Curry one of the greatest scorers of all time, that would be accurate because he's not known for anything else other than being the greatest shooter in the history of the game.
Speaker 6: I agree, and it's weird. You know what's funny is because we don't think about shooters being great players in that way when you think maybe aside from Larry Bird, but when you thought of great shooters, you think of guys that have like a specialized skill, like a Dale Ellis or someone like that that's just a three point shooter only I almost like a field goal kick in a way in football. But Steph has sort of revolutionized it in a way that he is a great scorer, and he is a great shooter, the great shooter we've ever seen, but there's so many other different parts and different fascets to his game. I think with someone like Kad the conversation is so convoluted and a lot of times unfair when it comes to Kevin Durant that we're always looking for the slight when someone calls him a great score, we're saying, wait a minute, what about the other parts of this game?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: Like for me, Dan, I thought Kevin Durant became the league's best player in twenty fourteen when he became the best defensive player between himself and Lebron James, except we never thought about Kevin Durant in that way. We short ourselves and we shot him in a way that we discuss him. And now that he's on the back end of his career, now we're starting to hopefully acknowledge and see all the great parts of his game.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about we look at this down the road when their careers are over with. Who will be recognized as a better player, Steph Curry or Kevin Durant.
Speaker 6: That's an excellent, excellent question, man. I think Steph Curry won that championship in twenty twenty two put him over the top of Kevin Durant. I think, unfortunately this Rings culture. I don't subscribe to Rings culture in that sort of direct way, but I do think that stepsibility to lead a franchise, to stay with a franchise, to stick it out with a franchise, compared to KD, who's been a little bit more mercenary, that's going to be something that people look at as a demerit. I think it's a basketball player Kevin Durant because of what he does defensively, he's a better all around player and stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the post trade deadline, Jimmy Butler's contribution impact at Golden State and Lucas with the Lakers. Which team do you think goes further due to these two editions.
Speaker 6: I think Jimmy Butler makes a bigger impact with the Golden State Warriors, but that's because the Golden State Warriors have such a long way to go relative to the Lakers. Like the Lakers were on a roll up until this trade, and part of that has been the schedule lighting up and Lebron coming off of his sabbatical, if that's what we're.
Speaker 4: Going to call it.
Speaker 6: He's coming back from that with both fresh sheet of legs and everything else. I think Luca is a little bit more duplication. He just does it at a higher level, and he probably has the stamina to do it for longer stretches of time than Lebron does at this stage of his career. But I don't see the Lakers having enough actual functional size and defense on the back line to make a real impact in the playoffs. I know that they've won a lot of games, and I think they're, you know, a game and a half and the lost column of being like third in the West or second in the West or whatever it is. But I still think that size gets it done when you're talking about playing a full seven game series. Now, when I look at Golden State, they're used to playing small and you have someone in Draymond Green on the back line. Steph Curry has not played with a guy who can create his own shots at an elite level. Spencey's played with Kevin Durant and that was in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Was the last year those guys played together.
Speaker 6: I'm very curious to see how those two guys mesh, you know, Katie and Katy, Jimmy going to the bucket and being able to be passed first, and Steph being able to roam around on the perimeter having someone create shots for him.
Speaker 2: That could be scary. Dan Patrick, Vincent Goodwill y'allhoo's sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast. You know a story that's kind of gone under the radar. You know, Utah's tanking, Washington's tanking. Are the Pelicans tanking? Are they just bad?
Speaker 6: They're confident, they're not trying to be bad. Dan, Some look, when you're in the luxury tax, you ain't in a luxury tax because you're trying to tank. This is not a stealth tank job on the Pelicans part, Like, yeah, they traded Brandon Ingram, but they were expecting Zion whims And to be good this year. They acquired the John Tate Murray because they wanted to make a run, like on December one of last season, not December first of this season. They were the best team in the Western Conference and they were looking at it saying, if we get healthy, if we stay healthy, we're going to be able to make some real noise because of the youth and the defense in some of the athleticism that we have. It just hasn't worked and they're bad. And unfortunately for New Orleans, I feel like they're going to have to part ways with Zion Williams and after the season. And it's not to say that Zion can't turn it around. It's just that it feels like that relationship is going sour and those sides cannot go on. So I don't think this is by design. They were not intending to be bad. David Griffin thought he was going to put together eighteen that was going to compete in the Western Conference this year.
Speaker 2: So the coach didn't talk After the last game, the fans booed the new team governor, the former owner told fans to shut the bleep up. Fans got tossed for signs saying fire Nico, and the team lost to Sacramento. Other than that, it's seems like is Tim Kashaws tweeted out, everything's going well in Dallas.
Speaker 6: Everything's going swimmingly there. Look, then we can all adjudicate the Luka Donci's trade, right, And I'm not one of those people that cause it the worst trade of all time, like when they say they traded for ad I think there are people are trying to say that they traded for Antonio Davis in nineteen ninety four or something like that, like Anthony Davis is one of the top ten players in basketball. But I think that it's been a stroke of bad luck for a franchise that is so connected to Luke. They're more connected to Luka Doncic than they were to the actual Dallas Mavericks. And that's something that you generally dan incorporate with losers. Like I'm gonna tell you a quick story. I was a fan of the Detroit Lions and then July twenty seventh, nineteen ninety nine happened, and I was no longer a fan of the Detroit Lions and I have not gone back since. Why because they were losers and then when they made Barry Sanders quick I quit them. Dallas has won a championship and they went to the finals. Those fans should not be bailing, even though I understand their anger and frustration, but this is a bit shocking the reaction from everyone that's he That's a bit wild to me.
Speaker 2: If you gave Nico a do over a mulligan right now today.
Speaker 6: I think given the fact that we don't know the extent of Anthony Davis's injury, this core muscle injury that he has, you might give him a mulligan based off of that, not necessarily based off of the reaction. Usually you can ride off the reaction, and I think he was confident enough to say, we've got some bigs here that can really make some things happen in the Western Conference if we get them all healthy and upright. I don't think you. I don't think people as strong minded as Nico Harrison are going to be swayed that quickly because of the reaction. He could be swayed because of Anthony Davis's health, not because everybody is so heartbroken and betrayed over lukadotics.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you, Vincent. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Next time I'll be on video, Dan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what our audience wants. The ladies love that. The ladies want that.
Speaker 6: Don't get me in trouble, Maren.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because I was going to say, Vincent, Goodwill hunting, but you're not. You're in love, right, I'm the love doctor, no more.
Speaker 6: Just just gonna say that, I'm the love doctor, no more.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Vincent, Vincent Goodwill, yahoos sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast, Chris and Maryland. Hi, Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Hey?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 8: I called to collect on my football.
Speaker 4: Bet if that's okay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 8: So before the season, you may recall I bet you that the Chargers were going to finish is the five seeds in the playoffs, and they did, and despite their flameout, the deal was that if they finished this the five you all would send me a color photocopy of the Simpsons poster signed. So if that's still good, I want to collect on the beat. But because you all are such an important part of our morning here at our house, I still would like to send you some meat, which is what I was going to do if I lost.
Speaker 2: Sure. I'll see what I can do with the Simpsons. I don't know how we get that done, though, I'll work on that, Chris. I never thought I was going to have to make good on that, but Tyler will take your information. I'll let you know if we can pull that off, because we have the Simpsons art you know, the artwork there, a poster and with all of us there, so if we can make I don't know if I can make a copy of that. That's just the only thing with the Simpsons. I don't know how that works there. I'll get some of my best people on it. But thank you, Chris. All right, we'll take a break. He's one of the stars of the Eagles Super Bowl whim Cooper de Gene will join us. Coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out, like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific.
Speaker 10: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I don't know what he does for his twenty third birthday, but his twenty second birthday was pretty cool. Cooper de Jean, the Eagles defensive back, had to pick six as the Eagles win the Super Bowl. They got the parade coming up on Friday. How much sleep since Sunday, Coop?
Speaker 4: Not a whole lot, Not a whole lot.
Speaker 11: I've been trying to catch up a little bit, but I've gotten I've gotten very little sleep these past few days.
Speaker 2: How was the after party?
Speaker 4: It was awesome. It was awesome. It's a lot better when you win.
Speaker 2: Who is who is the MVP of the after party?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 11: There was a there's quite a few guys that were having to having good time at the after party.
Speaker 2: Well, you're just old enough to drink now now that you're twenty two, So did you Did you celebrate as well with these guys?
Speaker 4: Of course, of course I celebrate.
Speaker 11: I had to had to celebrate winning a world championship and on my birthday, so I had to celebrate.
Speaker 2: The defensive game plan of not blitching. Was that discussed prior to the game, that that was going to be the game plan? That nobody is going after mahomes other than your front four.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think that's that's the way we practiced all week. It's just to play our coverage like we like we've done all year. Obviously we've blitz a little bit this year, but I think, you know, we we work really well together in the back end the way we plays on coverage and the way we match routes, and you know, it's it makes it easy on on the back end when you know you got a D line up front, that's that gets pressure without without having to you know, plits the quarterback.
Speaker 2: What was your job? What was your role in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 11: I mean, just to disrupt timing and you know, packing zones and make create tight windows for the quarterback, you know, disrupt timing from the receiivers getting off the getting off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: You know, try to give our D line as much time.
Speaker 11: To get to the quarterback, you know, and then and then packing those zones, you know, and switch up the picture on the quarterback and you know, make him have to make him have to play quarterback.
Speaker 2: What did you show my homes or that maybe he didn't see on your pick six?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we were We were playing uh zone coverage and you know.
Speaker 11: The way we played it, it was I was kind of playing off Zach in front of me, and he actually actually ran to the flat, which was my responsibility, and it allowed me to fall back inside. But I think, I think that's just how it's been all year, just us playing off of each other. And I saw him go out there to the flat, and I was able to fall back inside and got to be a free player and just read the quarterback and able to pick the ball off.
Speaker 2: When did you start thinking end zone?
Speaker 11: Right when I caught the ball. Every time I touched the ball, I want to score. You know, It's it's been that way since as long as I remember playing football. So but luckily I got some got some blocks out there from the big guys up up front.
Speaker 4: Threw me some blocks and found my way in to the end zone.
Speaker 2: Did you keep the ball?
Speaker 4: Of course? Of course.
Speaker 2: I Sometimes you get too excited and you might, you know, be spiking it or something and then teammate has to grab it or something. But look, this isn't normal like your age Super Bowl going against Mahomes six. I mean, how do you how do you process that of where you were, where you were drafted and uh, here you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I mean, I don't think I processed it yet.
Speaker 11: Yeah, three and a half years ago, I was in high school and I'm playing on on the biggest stage in football in the super Bowl, and I think it's just a lot of credit to the people who've helped me along along the way.
Speaker 2: You didn't have a Mahomes poster on your wall growing up, did you?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 11: I did watch him. You haven't haven't played quarterback? You know, I did watch him quite a bit growing up.
Speaker 2: But did you talk to him at all? Have you talked to Mahomes after the game?
Speaker 12: I haven't.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't.
Speaker 6: I have it.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. Yeah, I haven't talked to him.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't ask him to sign the football. I'd wait a little while before you do something like that. Take me into halftime. What was it like, Yeah, I mean a lot of a lot of focus.
Speaker 11: I think, you know, I think everybody understood that the game wasn't over because you know, we understood who you know who, who they were on.
Speaker 4: On that side.
Speaker 11: You know their their offense and what they're capable of, their quarterback, their offense. How explosive it is and you know, so we knew, we knew it wasn't finished, you know, at halftime, and you know we had to you know, we had to go out there and you know put it away in that second half.
Speaker 2: When did you know the game was over?
Speaker 11: That's I mean, I don't know if I really crossed my mind until it was later in that in that fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Like thirty four to nothing, I think you feel pretty safe, don't you.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 11: Then I think we gave up We give up a touchdown, So I mean I was I was still a little a little nervous. I didn't want to, you know, say it was over yet, but there's there was definitely a lot of a lot of confidence when we got when we went up thirty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that you guys should put the score forty to six on your ring because those last two touchdowns they really don't count. I mean, it was an incredible defensive performance, but you gave up a couple of garbage touchdowns. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think the way our defensive played, we just we just continue to get better over the year, and you know, the performers that we put out there, you know, in the super Bowl on the biggest stage I don't think it's a surprise to any of us, you know, the work we put it in, you know, throughout the whole year, throughout practice, and then just going out there and do our doing, doing our thing, what we've done all year.
Speaker 2: The number of people lived in your hometown is what A thousand?
Speaker 4: This? Hundred thousand?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, yep. Do you get a statue in your hometown? Is there any talk of a Cooper to Gene statue?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't think there's any talk of that, uh not that I've earned, at least that I've heard.
Speaker 2: Well, we should start that. Where is anybody more famous in your hometown?
Speaker 4: I mean not, not that I know of.
Speaker 11: I don't know if there's I don't know if there's any any professional athletes from from my hometown.
Speaker 2: A thousand people. You got a traffic light in your hometown? No? Why don't you? Why don't you have one installed? Like you could have the Cooper to g And you gotta have something in there the Cooper to g Maybe a park bench, maybe a traffic light, uh stop something yeah, your defense, I mean stop. I think that would be a By the way, if I get a slam dunk contest for NFL players. How do you think you do?
Speaker 4: You know, I got a couple of couple of tricks in my bag that I could do. I don't.
Speaker 11: I haven't played basketball in a while, so I probably need a little bit of practice, But I think I could.
Speaker 4: I could compete a little bit.
Speaker 2: What's your go to.
Speaker 4: Go to? Man? Probably just a windmill.
Speaker 11: Maybe something off the side of the backboard, could be something off the glass.
Speaker 4: Three sixty, three sixty. That's some ideas.
Speaker 2: I think we should get this together and maybe I could work on this. I got to work on a statue for you in a slam done contest with NFL players. Congrats, a great moment for you, certainly for your family and your hometown as well, and thanks for joining us. Be careful with the parade on Friday, Cooper.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, be careful.
Speaker 2: Be careful. Cooper to Jean the Eagles defensive bank. Not a bad birthday. So Saquan's birthday same day and he gets the pick six there. Yeah, I would steer clear of Pennsylvania on Friday. The parade going on there in Philadelphia. Oh boy, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 14: Is that the one seed of Super Bowl parades that could get squarely for lack of a better.
Speaker 2: Well, well, it feels like anytime hockey has a parade that that would be the number one seed. I was in Vancouver many, many, many years ago when Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup Final, and I felt lucky to get out of the arena, out of the city and go to the airport that was That was a little bit scary. Yeah, you never factored that in. Yeah, And I understand when you lose you might be upset. It's when you win and then all of a sudden you're turning over cars and you're tearing down light pole like I never understood that you won. You won, Yes, Dodd.
Speaker 15: Did you ever do anything or near somebody that all of a sudden their behavior changed dramatically because of that mob mentality? Some someone that would normally not behave that way gets caught up in the moment starts doing things you would never expect you. I have had some friends that, like I never thought would just kind of get rowdy, you know, like at a party, or they just kind of trying to be like everyone else and doing you know, this questionable behavior.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 13: We're at a party and.
Speaker 15: Like people of friends of mind that I didn't realize drink or maybe I hadn't before had one too many, and they're just kind of jumping around and kind of in someone's house and borderline breaking stuff. And like when someone's.
Speaker 5: Happen borderline breaking stuff.
Speaker 15: Banging into like you know, furniture and what looks like expensive objects in this kid's parents house. To me, that's a wild time.
Speaker 14: How does that come to a parade with thousands and thousands of people?
Speaker 15: I'm talking about mob mentality in journal like that?
Speaker 2: Why is it I don't throwing a car windows.
Speaker 5: Billy just banged into something that looks very expensive.
Speaker 13: That's crazy. That coffee table is almost broken.
Speaker 2: Just knock three books up to this show. We're going to borderline break some stuff here.
Speaker 13: Put a coaster down, you could leave a ring.
Speaker 2: Who's with me?
Speaker 13: How to put the sink?
Speaker 15: You could just leave it on the floor.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna step on Wow, Yeah, I see.
Speaker 5: I did do a run in Morgantown, West Virginia, which might as well at some point been an epicenter of mob mentality. And it is crazy how you could think that things like you know, keg bowling or burning couches is just kind of what you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, no, it's normal.
Speaker 4: This is what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's get all of these empty kegs. Let's put them at the bottom of this gigantic hill and then we'll get another empty keg and roll it down from the top of High Street all the way down to see. Let's see if we could hit any of them. And it turns into just a projectile. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Speaker 2: Every time Dayton would beat Notre Dame in basketball, they would burn couches, which I don't know why because then you need a new couch. But you would go into this part of the campus and there would just be couches burning and they were celebrating, and I just thought, God, that's dumb. Now you don't have a couch, so it'd be out there on fire after you beat Notre Dame. Marvin, did you ever do anything crazy after the Yukon Huskies won national championships.
Speaker 16: No, it was a lot of people watching though, and like you said, a lot of people burning couches. Obviously everywhere outside of stores Connecticut. The Yukon campus itself, it's pretty tame. It's on a farm. Yeah, But when Yukon was in the final four. All bets were off.
Speaker 2: PAULI, did you do anything suspicious.
Speaker 14: Around a parade or a celebration? I was around in Chicago door manning when the Bulls won. There's a lot of people who left their cars on Rush Street, and they should know because they're going to get ripped up turned over. I didn't participate, but I saw it. It was there's some rough stuff with the cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's certain Well, I just saw the celebration in Philadelphia after they won the Super Bowl. I think they stole two garbage trucks and they were bringing down light poles. I believe maybe police car got turned over. Hopefully, hopefully tomorrow or Friday will be respectable.
Speaker 14: Maybe it's a Friday though I know, easy day off work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably best that it's on a Friday. That gives you Saturday and Sunday to recuperate. Yes, Tom, has it become a.
Speaker 15: I still can't understand. I'm no psychiatrist. Psychologists a free for all of lawlessness, Like you now have a certain period of time where you can just do nearly anything because your team won a championship. Like what would go in someone's mind to think that now it's okay. Somebody that's against the law is okay for the next few hours.
Speaker 2: I don't know what goes into their mind. I know what goes into their body. It's called alcohol. That you see is what is the great enhancer?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 2: Dale and Iowa, Iowa. That's Dale in Iowa Ideal.
Speaker 17: Hey, Dan, I just caught your interview with Cooper Degen. And by the way, his hometown is Old the Bolt, which is up up in that area of the state. And yeah, I think they got grain elevators in a railroad crossing.
Speaker 6: But that's it.
Speaker 17: But the one thing that hit me was during that whole thing, Cooper Degene was the one last year against Minnesota that took that pump return late in the fourth quarter for a touchdown that was ruled in valid.
Speaker 2: Fair catch yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When he would make an interception a turnover, he was planning on taking it back for a touchdown. Zach and Knoxville, Hi, Zach, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: A DP, Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 12: As far as the Cooper Dejene stuff, maybe we can.
Speaker 7: Put in a four way intersection there in his hometown, and if he wins another Super Bowl, we put in a stoplight, okay, but.
Speaker 12: And Christian Tennessee. He said that you can't.
Speaker 7: Compare other eras and other teams and things like that. So I hate that your show is supposed to go for another three and a half years. But I thought that was the whole premise of sports talk radio. I'll hang up and listen right.
Speaker 2: It's not three and a half years. It's less than three years. But I enjoy the conversation. And what I love is I'm able to bring back names that maybe you don't factor in, or that maybe you didn't get a chance to see, having seen Doctor J in the Aba, or my first you know, Bill Walton game was his first game he ever played against leu Al Sindor or Kareem Abdul Jabbaram. I got to see Wilt play, I got to see Jerry West play. I got to see Oscar play. Bill Russell's the only modern day Hall of Famer that I don't think I got to see play. And although I did get to see the Celtics, I started. I saw the Celtics in seventies. So Dave Cowens came there in nineteen seventy and he was co Rookie of the Year with Jeff Petrie. But to see John Habilcheck play, to see games in the garden, you know, so I was very fortunate. But I like when people like Elgin Baylor, to me, is maybe the most underrated player in the history of the NBA, because nobody saw him. If you look at his numbers, you know, it's video game stuff where you're going, yeah, and he was different, like he played an athletic game and back then you did not have that. And then you couple him with Jerry West, you had two guys who are really changing the game with their athleticism. But Elgin Baylor six ' four, great great jumpers, score, rebounder, And I like that some of these players that maybe you didn't know about, maybe you just see their name in a book and maybe you know, to bring their story to life.
Speaker 14: Yeampoin, I really wish I could have seen Pete Marivitch night to night play college basketball like we saw Jimmer for a debt of a decade ago. He was averaging twenty eight, which is really impressive and it was cool. But I can't imagine a guy averaging forty four with no three point line. It's hard to even process and to be able to see at night, and that must have been amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, you knew he was getting the ball and his dad was the coach, and he was going to shoot. But we've had a couple of you know this day in sports history, Like he scored forty seven in the second half of two games I think in the same year he ended up with sixty nine points. And once again, if you had a three point shot, and I had the great LSU coach Dale Brown, I asked him if he could go back and look at the shooting charts of Pete Maravich when he played. So he did. He went back and looked at the games and the shooting charts. Now, once again they didn't have a three point shot. So he superimposed a three point line and said Pete would have averaged fifty five a game. And he's playing in the SEC and now there wasn't the integration that obviously you have now. But still Pete was playing against some pretty good teams. Kentucky was always good. But Dale said that I think Pete's final year at LSU he would average fifty five a game, factoring in the three point shot. But that's Pete was shooting. There was no three point shot. Imagine if you know, there's a three point shot. But his handle was as good as anybody who's ever played the game. Now, you can say Kyrie and you certainly have an argument, but having watched both of them, Pete did things with the basketball that you know, maybe the Globe Trotters were doing, and that's against the Washington generals.
Speaker 16: Yes, Marv, Yeah, when it comes to ball handling, he feels like that evolution chart. He feels like the first guy walking erect like because everybody else was. Yeah, look at him and he's like, nah, we gonna we're gonna shoot, We're gonna dribble like this.
Speaker 2: Well, we give Bob Coosey a lot of credit, but he was you know, in the era, he was kind of a magician with the basketball, but he was right hand dominant, but he was a creator. I mean, there are a lot of great things about Bob Cousy. Now, granted, could he play now, No, he couldn't play now. I get it. Uh, he would adapt to today, I'm guessing, but back then, the way he played, he was different than anybody else in the court, and Pete was that way too. Not everybody wanted to play with Pete because you know, he was a gunner. I think he got to the point where he was such a good score he got bored and then he started making, you know, great passes, but really a wonderful ball handler. He was just never a winner, and I think that that was something that always bothered him. He went to the Celtics late in his career because Larry Bird wanted him to go there to play with him. All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up, Nick Wright coming up top of the hour.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap.
Speaker 2: Seat and update the poll result. I'm not even sure what the poll question is for hour two of this program.
Speaker 5: We had a couple of like sort of poll questions floating around here, but we haven't really addressed the hour one pole question much biggest threat to the Eagles in the NFC. Your options are Lions, forty nine ers, commanders, let's see Buccaneers, Vikings, rams, other right now running away with that one. Fifty eight percent is the Lions, followed by the commanders. Then other has five percent.
Speaker 4: Of the vote.
Speaker 2: Who do you think the other is.
Speaker 5: That people are voting for.
Speaker 1: Dallas.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's got to be just Dallas fans though, because nobody takes that seriously.
Speaker 2: No, no, But you know, we talked about this, it's probably mid season, maybe a little earlier, when we said the Cowboys have a real problem coming up. It's kind of a good problem. Now they have to pay Dak Prescott and they were gonna have to pay CD Lamb and then they I said, they have to pay Micah Parsons. So you have three guys who are going to be top end at their position, so you better be really good in surrounding them, and that didn't go well. Michaeh. Parsons is going to get forty million dollars. He will be the highest paid non quarterback. I'm guessing when it's all set and up, Cede Lamb got top end money and Dak got top end money, they're not in a good position, even though you have one you know, looks like surefire Hall of Famer and Michael Parsons, Cede Lamb could be, and Dak has been a good quarterback in his career. But other than that, I mean, you've got to make sure that you do not miss when it comes to draft, and don't tell me you're all in when you're not all in, when you don't do anything, and you hire your coach on a Friday night.
Speaker 14: Yes, Pauline, it does seem like teams like even Tampa Bay is probably more threatening Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 13: They're solid.
Speaker 2: They made the playoffs, so sure Green.
Speaker 13: Bay eleven wins last year.
Speaker 14: Green Bay outscored their opponents by one hundred and twenty two points. The Cowboys were outscored by one hundred and twenty points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seton.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, watching the Super Bowl this year, for some reason, by the end of it, I was like, you know what, man, we need to save ceed Lamb. We need to get him off that team and get him into some that's going to contend because he's way too good of a player to just be languishing there.
Speaker 16: Yes, Marvin, is he next year, Sakuon Barkley that he goes to another team, Like, you know, we just got to get a great player out of a bad situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can't spend all this money on Dak and then take away his number one weapon semantics. Yeah, I think I think you can though.
Speaker 5: I think people do that, But then what do you going to the Chiefs let tyreek Hill go. I mean, I granted you still had Kelsey, but well they have a better quarterback. And that was a prett shocking move though. Yeah, but it was a running back the wide receiver. Everybody's looking for those guys running back. You know, we were devaluing them.
Speaker 2: And I'm curious to see what happens in the draft if all of a sudden teams go you know, on second thought, we might go a little higher for a running back. Diane or Russini, she works for the Athletics. She's an NFL reporter and the Scoop City podcast with Chase Daniel, and she had this to say about Aaron Rodgers' situation with the Jets When they.
Speaker 18: Had conversations with Aaron Rodgers about what the future would look like. If you're going to be part of this team, you're going to attend all the trading camp, You're not going to do Pat McAfee interviews anymore.
Speaker 13: Wait, they said that.
Speaker 18: Yeah, if you were to stay here, here's how we would want.
Speaker 5: It to be.
Speaker 18: So this to me is Aaron Glenn getting control back.
Speaker 14: So do you think that if he would have agreed to not do that stuff, that he would have been their quarterback.
Speaker 18: I think that no matter what the Jets were going to say, Aaron Rodgers wanted to move on.
Speaker 2: Well, he did come back to talk to them, so I don't know if he clearly wanted to move on, because if that's the case, are you really going to go out of your way and fly back to talk to the Jets. I think Aaron Glenn did the right decision, you know, made the right decision. Move on from him, but giving the audience out of respect. But you're going to tell him not to be on McAfee. He's got to be here for all the you know, off season workouts. I mean, okay, you know the McAfee thing. I don't know how much you know, how many fires they were putting out because of that, But McAfee's paying in whatever, a million dollars. You're not going to walk away from that. It's not like Aaron was doing it just out of the goodness of his heart. He was being paid to do that. But I mean, good for McAfee came up with the business model to pay Saban and Belichick. Aaron Rodgers and you make headlines. But if you're the Jets, I don't know. Did he kind of take away from all the bad play that you guys had or how bad you are? Maybe we focused on it. Maybe Aaron Rodgers took one for the team. He's like, Hey, you know what, put all this attention on me, not on my team being bad, but I would not be Yeah, And you know, I keep hearing Steelers for some it's like Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers and I go, I don't get it. Or the Raiders I kind of get it. But if I'm the Raiders and I'm starting out, if I'm Tom Brady, I want to get my own quarterback in there. And do I want Aaron Rodgers for a year? Like who would ever have thought Aaron Rodgers would be a band aid quarterback? Like come on in for a year, you know, like Tyrod Taylor or something. Here, Jacoby Brissette. Ten minutes from now, Nick Wright will join us. Get his thoughts on his Chiefs going down in Fames