Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio of the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Ketty arm.
Speaker 2: Strong and Jattie and he Armstrong and Eddy.
Speaker 3: You even had the Secretary of Homeland Security saying there's not enough money left in the fund. So it is the case that the administration itself, the secretary who oversees famous, said there's not enough money left in the fund. And they have been spending billions of dollars for the last four years to move migrants from our border, to put them up in hotels and give them room service and maids. That's simply a fact.
Speaker 1: So that's Tom Cotton on Meat the Press yesterday. We're going to hear a little bit more from him. So this is around the topic of the hurricane relief. I'm looking up at my CBS, ABC, A look over there, CNN. Every TV I've got in here is leading with hurricane coverage of one kind, either Helene in the damage and the recovery, or the one that's coming toward Florida. Milton, which has just been upgraded to a Category four and on the cusp of a five as it heads toward Florida. So this might be end up being the October surprise of the election, is hurricanes events, some event that you don't see coming having an effect on the way people vote.
Speaker 2: And I know in.
Speaker 1: The right leaning social media world, the as they see it, poor job the federal government is doing. And helping out these people in North Carolina and Tennessee and Georgia is a huge story.
Speaker 2: I mean it's freaking huge. Some of it is.
Speaker 1: About stuff that's not true, which you can talk about later, but plenty of it is. First of all, in case you didn't hear the from Friday, of course this didn't get attention. It should have been on the evening newscasts.
Speaker 4: Our ancients should have been accompanied by calls for the twenty fifth Amendment to be invoked. In my opinion, our ancient president had flown around in a helicopter to survey some of the hurricane damage because somebody decided at some point that our presidents need to look out the window of a plane whenever there's a disaster, or they don't.
Speaker 2: And this was in North Carolina specifically.
Speaker 1: So this was on Friday, and Biden gets off the plane and he's He doesn't do many interviews unless he's next to a really loud plane or helicopter.
Speaker 2: But here's how it went. What does the states the storm zone need, Mike the President?
Speaker 1: What are the states and the storm zone?
Speaker 5: What do they need after what you saw today?
Speaker 2: How on the storm zone?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I'm going what stormer's talking about.
Speaker 2: They getting everything they need. They're very happy to go off the board. Oh in the storm zone.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what storm you're talking about, the giant one that everyone's talking about all across the country.
Speaker 2: That one, the one that you just just toured, Yes, that storm.
Speaker 1: Oh the storm zone. I didn't know what your storm you're talking about. And then they're getting everything you need, they need, they're happy across the board. Okay, I don't think I don't think anybody's claiming that. Nobody is claiming that.
Speaker 2: Ah. So that was quite a moment on the whole How with it?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 2: He thing? Right?
Speaker 4: And I think context matters too, because you know, after every disaster, the other side tries to make.
Speaker 2: Political hay out of the response to it.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, yep, the context is that the Department of Homeland Security and its various organs, including FEMA and the Customs and Border Protection have laid down their arms and permitted an invasion of the country by millions and millions of illegal immigrants, And the fact that that's all one department is blooming into some politically potent resentment of the fact that the Biden administration is just not looking out for the interests of the American people, particularly through the Department of Homeland Security, which we're leading up to a discussion.
Speaker 1: Often, does it make sense the Department of Homeland Security is in charge of the border, storm relief and stopping a terrorist attack. I mean, I get it fits into the name, but that's an awful lot for one department.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get it on a logic level, but on an administrative level, is that helpful? And there's a very different things to be an expert in border security stopping a terrorist attack and helping people after a hurricane or an earthquake. I think the argument would probably be that, well, that way they can coordinate. If there's like a MA massive casualty the events right due to terrorism, then FEMA's are under the same But you're all under the umbrella of the federal government, right, there's already a framework.
Speaker 1: Well, and this was the complaint at the time, right after nine to eleven when they developed the Department Homeland Security, that was just going to make it bigger and slower, which it may be what happened.
Speaker 5: I've got a busy day Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and so on.
Speaker 1: That's got to be in the running for clip with the Clips of the Year and our Clips of the Year contest this year is going to be fantastic. So Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas was on Meat the Price yesterday and got hit immediately from Welker Kirsten Kristen Kirsten Welker that all of dismissinformation Trump is lying about the hurricane relief. Trump was at Israelly on Saturday claiming the federal government is not helping the people, and that's all lies, that he's not helping red states, that all the money is going to illegal immigrants.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah. These are all lies, to which Tom gotten replied, My.
Speaker 1: Broader question to you, I think is about this misinformation. Do you think this is a time to put falsehoods aside, like the idea that FEMA funds are being redirected to migrants, which.
Speaker 2: Is just not true.
Speaker 3: It is true that FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security have been spending billions of dollars on migrants, and I understand some people say they're separate funds, but we just passed the short term spending bill. It's very common for the administration to come and ask for permission to move money between funds, especially to prepare for emergencies. And second, I would note that this administration seems to have no problem finding money when they want to spend it on their priorities. When they need hundreds of billions of dollars to pay off student loans for graduate students and gender studies programs, they somehow find it. When it's trying to get helicopters to deliver food and water and cellular service and life saving medicine into these mountain valleys, they somehow can't seem to find the money.
Speaker 1: That was excellent, I thought, But he was using senate speak.
Speaker 2: What was that word? He was using?
Speaker 1: Different finds. That's a different find, I realize, as.
Speaker 2: We all know. Find. I didn't catch. It's some senate term.
Speaker 1: I don't know, so try to talk in words normal people understand their Senator cotton.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: If you want to bail out student loans, even if it's been you've been told it's illegal over and over again.
Speaker 2: You figure out a way to come up with the money. But for this a lot of money, So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Well, and Kristin Welker's saying that you know these are falsehoods that the femas. We've got some tape working on it right now. Of barely two years ago, KJP proudly bragging that they were using FEMA funds to deal with the migrants and keep them comfortable and everything, and then two years later she denies that that's happening.
Speaker 1: Just unbelievable dishonesty. Tiny bit more from Tom Cotton here.
Speaker 3: This administration seems to have no problem finding money when they want to spend it on their priorities.
Speaker 2: Of the same longer clip that happened. Okay, let's say that, yess I'm wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I particularly like him throwing in the whole gender studies program thing.
Speaker 2: I don't mind that at all.
Speaker 1: Bailing out college kids with stupid degrees. You can come up with that money easily. So to the misinformation thing. The front page of New York Times story yesterday was about hoax's conspiracy theories that are flying around the hurricane areas, and I thought, Okay, this is going to be one of those New York Times sorts of pieces where they're claiming things that are actually true or conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: But no, they were.
Speaker 1: They were talking about conspiracy theories and a way I found very very interesting. They used examples of I think it was Eastern Tennessee. Anyway, they pulled together some sort of the mayor and the remaining two people of the city council tried to have a meeting out in a field to try to figure out what was happening. Anyway, all the people there in the crowd started badgering the city council about the bulldoze in our homes to make a lifia mine that's the reason they're here.
Speaker 2: And the mayor is like, what are you talking about? And everybody's like, what are you not paying attention?
Speaker 1: The bulldozers are here to knock down our homes for the Lofian minds, And it was just the crowd was incensed over this, and the city council is like, we don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: And no, no, they're not.
Speaker 1: And it had many examples like that of things that have come from either Russia or China or somehow got into the social media stream that people believe for a variety of reasons. And it reminded me of the conversation we had a week or so ago. I was listening to that podcast with the AI expert that started Google's podcast.
Speaker 2: He said, the.
Speaker 1: Things that are going to happen in the next couple areas years, He said, the first thing that's going to happen is the complete death of the truth is going to happen in couple of years, where it's just it's just impossible for anybody to know what's true or not, and we'll just be operating in a world where everybody's got different realities. And I thought, this is this is the first best example I've seen this where in the middle of an emergency, people are trying to come together and answer questions and they're getting hit with stuff. It's like somebody else with just a completely different reality. Yeah, and it's as real to them as anything else. I don't know how we're gonna function as a society with this. I mean, seriously, I don't even slightly have what the answer is going to.
Speaker 2: Be with this, yipes.
Speaker 4: If somebody could promise me it will unfold, that the change will unfold at a pace somewhat similar to change in the history of mankind, I would say, no, we'll adapt. I mean sayings will take shape, you know, don't trust it till you've seen it or whatever.
Speaker 2: We'll just we'll get more skeptical as of people.
Speaker 4: But the pace of change is so quick now, the number of people who aren't hip.
Speaker 2: To doesn't it seem extraordinary.
Speaker 4: To you that they're bulldozing people's homes to put up a lithium mind Maybe we got to get a source on this or something, or observe something with our own eyes, or talk to somebody we know.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I don't know. I'm a little concerned.
Speaker 1: Well, my hope is that because we should have a hunger for truth, there will be some news organizations that will have to emerge that are trusted by the bulk of people, and they'll have to do a really good job of holding on to that trust by working really hard to be you know, deserving of trust, by not spinning for one side or the other.
Speaker 4: But we don't have much of that right now, right, and you know, not to freak everybody out on a Monday, you're just getting started. I'm certainly concerned about the post truth world. But then that will be used as an excuse by certain forces to justify a rampant government censorship and management of the information you get, which would.
Speaker 2: Be even worse. But we're screaming in the fight against that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're certainly screaming in the wrong direction, though, when half the country can see with their own eyes a presidential debate where okay, there's one set of facts for one side and one set of facts for the other side, and you're only interested in facts on one side, your facts. So yeah, it's very, very frustrating. But I did enjoy Tom Cotton pushing back on the it's a hoax that money is being diverted from hurricane relief to illegal immigrants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you guys seem to be able to come up with.
Speaker 1: Money for illegals and hotels and college students student loans, but not for this, for some reason.
Speaker 4: At the drop of a hat, even if the Supreme Court tells you not to. Yeah, now you're out of money.
Speaker 1: Okay, four weeks from the election, I can tell you in one sentence where we are polling wise without boring you to death, and a whole bunch of other stuff on the way.
Speaker 2: Stay here, armstrong.
Speaker 5: Now the debates are apparently all finished, and I'm upset. How did we never get to see RFK.
Speaker 2: Junior in a debate? How were we robbed of that?
Speaker 5: I love that RFK Junior admitted he dumped a dead bear in Central Park. He chainsaw the head off a dead whale, strapped it to the roof of his car like a Christmas tree, and he told us a worm was living in his brain, eating through his head. And still everyone is like, you know who's weird?
Speaker 2: Jd Vance, that's pretty well crafted. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, the bear story just made me more likely it is port RFK Jr. So, speaking of frightening controversies, jackets spreading around the country, the bitter argument over Skelley the twelve foot skeleton, also known as the Big Labone Ski, or name it furious.
Speaker 1: I had heard the Big Lobone Ski. I almost got it this year. I saw the article in the New York Times probably a month ago. There they were talking about how if you want to get it, you got to get it now because they sell out so fast.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's see home depots sells the two hundred and ninety nine dollars Skelley earlier and earlier with limited online sales limits how many shoppers can buy, only allowing one at a time to reselling. Why are you buying more than one to sell them?
Speaker 2: Because they sell out? Check up the price so here and the gouging are against.
Speaker 4: So for whatever reason, people are super into their twelve foot skeleton and homeowners' associations neighborhood associations around the country.
Speaker 2: Have these rules that you got to take down.
Speaker 4: Your holiday decorations within two weeks after the holiday. But these these people are so into it or they're so peeved at being harassed over the skeleton.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now they keep it up year round and change its outfit for Easter and the fourth of July, so there's like all back to school, and so there's always a holiday that it's dressed for.
Speaker 1: I love that I've got one not far from me. We drive by it on a regular basis to the kid of kids, and I love it. What's it dressed as? Now?
Speaker 2: It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Well, and you guys will remember last year mine wasn't twelve feet but it was eight and I definitely put a Santa hat on it, yeah, for Christmas. Fantastic. And it's got the scarf a on its neck because it's fall or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This one guy who who had one of these things and he was getting guff from his homeowners' association, some neighbors and everything. He uh, and this is so funny because he said, I really didn't have time to take it down.
Speaker 2: I got a baby in the house.
Speaker 4: But he's become so militant about it now he spends a tremendous amount of time changing the things outfits and it's really clever.
Speaker 2: We'll have the like at Armstrong getdy dot com.
Speaker 4: But here he is, like in a top hat with a big inflatable bottle of champagne for New Year's Eve and he's got the whole Uncle Sam thing going with fire inflatable fire crackers from Fourth of July.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had one down the street that was very patriotic on fourth of July.
Speaker 2: It was fantastic. Well, the thing I.
Speaker 1: Want to add to my collection is now Skelley has a dog.
Speaker 2: Yes he does, and five foot high at the shoulder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my right My thing is I got one really big thing a couple of years ago, Halloween related and just where you keep it, that's my thing. And when I decided I'm not getting the skeletons because it takes up so much space in your garage you're attic or wherever you're gonna put it. That's why you leave it up, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 4: Or you leave it up, you know the idea of leaving up a giant skeleton because some of these illustrations with the articles, some of them are pretty scary for little kids. I don't love twelve foot inflatables up all year round, but I'm also not going to write an angry letter to the homeowner's association about it. Yeah, I think I got a fifteen foot jack O lantern. I gotta air that baby up soon.
Speaker 1: Although it's one hundred and one degree so it's hard to get into the whole Halloween fall mode.
Speaker 4: The manufacturer of the Skelly Skelley has found out people using year rounds, so they're rejiggering their manufacturing so it holds up in the sun and everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, I ain't that America Armstrong Andngetty.
Speaker 1: Governor Walls you claimed you were in Hong Kong during the nineteen eighty nine tannem and Square Maxacre when you were home in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Can you explain that? So?
Speaker 2: I think what happened is I went to epcop.
Speaker 4: You can go around the whole world, and I had a couple in the Germany section, and I thought.
Speaker 2: I went to China. Anyway, I'm a knucklehead.
Speaker 1: So that's from the open up Saturday Night Live, where the theme was Kamala, Who's always drinking wine? What's that all about? That's a that's definitely a thing on Saturday Live.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Maya Rudolph portrayal of Kamala is she's always got a glass of wine in her hand, and she made some comment about needing another bottle. Yeah, we have received emails at an irregular but regular pace. Infrequent but regular, I should say, suggesting that she's really into the bottle. Well, SNL's part of the reason that she she's doing some sort of you know whatever Minnesota Women's conference and she unleashes that rambling nonsense.
Speaker 2: The reason is she's two and a half classes in Wow. Well, Saturday Live must think that's a.
Speaker 1: Doable theme because it has become you know, when you do humor that kind of impersonation, they always pick up on a couple of aspects of a person's mannerisms or personalities to define them. And it's interesting that SNL is gone with her always having a glass of wine in her hand and talking about drinking. So we'll see if that turns into anything. And you need to know this for what you're about to hear. So it's Kamala and her husband as portrayed in a very funny way by Andy Samberg. They're sitting around watching the vice presidential debate and Joe Biden shows up at their house, and the long pause you hear is the new Dana Carvey thing he does with the Joe Biden where he locks up and stares at the camera with his mouth half open, which is something.
Speaker 2: That they've added that in anyway, this is what it sounded like, Mama, it's Joe Biden' I can't talk right now. Tom, I'm not here.
Speaker 5: No, no, like he's in the room.
Speaker 4: You're not.
Speaker 2: You're not here. I'll come back, no even no, tell dry you've been watching this guy? Come on, walls, what's wrong with that guy? It's crazy?
Speaker 5: Kill your facts straight, Jack.
Speaker 2: You gotta hit him with a no, Joe, here's the deal. Let me be clear. Anyway, guess what. And by the way, you should be.
Speaker 5: Talking about all the great things we've done. Gas prices down or crossings down.
Speaker 2: I mean's for the bear down. Everybody get down tonight. Benny locks up again.
Speaker 1: So that's an interesting portrayal from a left leaning organization that the current president locks up and stares.
Speaker 2: Off into space regularly.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, we are four weeks from the election tomorrow. A couple things you ought.
Speaker 4: To know about, thank god. Yeah, because after that everything will be settled. Yeah, that ain't the way it works, unfortunately. So the Holman Jenkins in the Wall Street Journal over the weekend, writing particularly around not only is it going to be a very close election with a lot of states that do their mail in ballots, like in Pennsylvania, they don't start counting till election, so if it's you know, separated by a couple thousand votes, they got to get them all counted.
Speaker 2: So you can't do that in one day. So right there, that's a problem.
Speaker 1: And then, as you've been talking about, a couple of the really hard hit states from the hurricane they're going to be relying more on mail in ballots and then trying to figure out where the mail in billets are anyway, this is what they wrote in the Wall Street Journal. This will be the second election in a row decided by mail in ballots, whose validity is inherently easy to question an impossible to demonstrate. Election Day may become election month this year, with fights over missing signatures and postmarks, amid the inevitable demand that some but not all and properly marked ballots will be counted in the name of democracy. Never mind also the vexed business of ballot harvesting, which is legal in some states and not others, and that will be argued to death.
Speaker 2: So there's something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: If you thought this nightmare was going to end on November fifth, it's just it's not. In fact, it could get, you know, really be dialed up to horrifying and like really horrifying, like you think.
Speaker 2: It being stolen. I saw the quote from North Carolina.
Speaker 4: How are we supposed to have mail in ballots when we don't have mail and have no prospect of having any till god knows when.
Speaker 1: Just to the current polling, it's still a tie, and Mark Halprin pointed this out in his newsletter over the weekend. There's six tenths of a point difference that Kamala is ahead by in the national averages. There a month out from the election, current President Joe Biden was up by more than seven on the average of the polls. At this point, Joe Biden was up by seven and ended up winning by four and a half. Not seven tenths, no seven full points. So if the models stay the same, Kamala is gonna lose. That's the whole ballgame right now from all the polsters. Nate Cone talked about that in the New York Times over the weekend. Although they've got a really big, thorough, expensive poll coming out this week, But it's all about the modeling at this point. If the models match up from the last couple of go rounds, Trump's gonna win.
Speaker 2: But nobody knows.
Speaker 1: If it they will match up or not, if there'll be an incredible turnout around young people are abortion or a whole bunch of Trump people will stay home this time that came out last time.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows that.
Speaker 1: But if the past election patterns hold up, Trump is going to win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm telling you, the worst thing that happened in recent months to Trump is the damage to western North Carolina. I've been reading about that, how they're just really really concerned about turnout in those areas and the ability to get ballots in and North Carolina. I don't remember offhand how many electoral votes it gets, but it's in your top ten most populous states.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if Trump loses North Carolina, it makes his path much much harder.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: And there's one of my favorite pundits writing the Saturday Night Live cold open was a perfect distillation of how many in the political class see the presidential contest currently, including the race is very close. Tim Walls was horrible in the debate, but it doesn't matter. Jd Vance is slick and smart as the nineteen eighties version of Bill Clinton. I thought that was interesting that the takeaway is that that's kind of the general consensus of DC is that Jade Vance is very slick and very smart, kind of like an eighties Bill Clinton. That Joe Biden is showing signs of serious decline.
Speaker 2: That's obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kamala Harris likes to drink is another consensus. Well, I hate to be the one to cast stones.
Speaker 4: I mean, if it interferes with your work or your personal life, then that's no good. I mean if she merely enjoys a glass of wine. Now on again, are we talking about what's fair or it's not fair?
Speaker 2: No, what you just had.
Speaker 4: Thing for fair in politics is a lot like asking for fair in life.
Speaker 1: And some stories about Doug Amoff are too hot to touch, as in Sarah Alive didn't touch any of them, but that there are some rumblings in the political class that there are more shoes to drop in the whole bughem Off's.
Speaker 2: Relationship past.
Speaker 4: Maybe I've been looking at the story in the wrong way. In a way, Doug Amhoff is reinventing masculinity. If you can get away with knocking up your granny or having an abortion, then you slap your your next girlfriend nanny.
Speaker 2: He did not knock that, I say, granny. Yes, I think you did that last week too. I think I did that last week. He is not.
Speaker 1: There are a number of reasons you cannot impregnate a grandmother.
Speaker 4: Now, maybe your granny is your nanny, but don't could be so well said, Well, I'm stand corrected.
Speaker 1: Now it's possible you can have Speaking of the South, you could have a baby at sixteen. Some people do. And then that kid has a baby at sixteen and you're only thirty two, so you're knock up.
Speaker 2: A ball again.
Speaker 1: But in general, absolutely, in general, grandmothers do not get pregnant, So no, you're nanny.
Speaker 4: Having conceded that point, the idea that he's been fond over as some sort of paragon of Allen all to esque limp wristed manhood is is I mean, it's it's disgusting from both angles.
Speaker 1: Well, I like that SNL's portraying him is kind of a really sad example of manhood. I like, Okay, And then this the final thing on the election, Vice President Kamala Harris. This is from Axios over the weekend because I guess she was asked about it, but as usual, she didn't answer. She had people a spokesman answer to Axios. That's what she does. Of course, Vice President Kamala Harris has full confidence. Let's play that Biden clip again, the asking him about the hurricane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do the states the storm zone need?
Speaker 3: Mister president?
Speaker 1: What are the states and the storm zone?
Speaker 5: What do they need after what you saw today.
Speaker 2: On the storm zone. Yes, sir, I'm learning what Storm is talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but getting everything they need, they're very happy calt the board.
Speaker 1: That is not super slick politician Joe Biden of my entire lifetime, where he would have found a way.
Speaker 2: To craft that. But we're still doing event. There's people that.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah now just getting everything they need, happy across the board. What storm, I didn't know what storm you were talking about, Kamala Harris told Axios, Well, no, she didn't. A spokesman for Kamala Harris Harris told Axios that she has full confidence that President Biden has the stamina and around the clock clarity of mind to handle the domestic international crisis is in front of him.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, she's got to be hammered for that. That is so clearly untrue.
Speaker 1: Can you believe that she didn't say it herself though a spokesman did so. She wasn't willing to have her own voice out there saying that, wow, for obvious reasons for it. Nanny bangers and granny slappers. I mean, how can you trust these people? What I guess it was this Daily slat. Anyway, what do you bring that grandma onto this? I just grandma has no role as far as you. Oh so now you want fairness in politics? Grelot, Hey, I love this Prize Pick.
Speaker 4: So word from our beloved sponsored Prize Picks, America's number one daily fantasy sports app with over five million active members. You see, Prize Picks is the easiest and most exciting way to play daily fantasy sports. Unlike other apps, on Prize Picks, it's just you against the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: First of all, you can get your money like fast when you win, which everybody wants to do. And you can now went up up to one hundred times your money on Prize Picks with as little as four correct picks. And obviously we've got a big game tonight one coming on Thursday, lots of baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just picked two to six players and they're stat projections and pick more or less on each one. And Prize Picks invented the flexplay, which means you can still cash out even if your lineup isn't perfect.
Speaker 2: You can double your money even if one of your picks does not hit.
Speaker 4: So download the Prize Picks app today and use the code Armstrong to get fifty dollars instantly when you play five dollars. That's the code Armstrong on prize Picks to get fifty bucks instantly when you play five dollars. You don't even need to win or see the fifty dollars bonus is guaranteed. Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Run your game.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about the one year anniversary of the horror in Israel at some point. Also, we need to get to the Supreme Court is taking up or turning down cases as it is the first Monday in October when.
Speaker 2: They new session.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, yes, surprisingly, they're taking on some very controversial cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, and turning down some which means that the former ruling stands right. That's what happens in the Supreme Court, so we're not taking it up generally, which is a decision on its own. So some of those are exciting to talk about, and lots on the stay here. I forgot my nieces in Orlando right now for an internship. She's doing part of graduate school or something, but anyway, she just sent a picture of completely empty store shelves in all the local stories like not most lampty, but like there's not a scrap there. So, yes, that's why they're getting ready for Hurricane Milton, which is bearing down. As this will continue to be a giant political story and we'll be talking about it.
Speaker 4: It's Florida still reels from Helene. Yeah, just awful after an incredibly quiet hurricane season.
Speaker 2: Go figure.
Speaker 4: So the Supreme Court, which starts as the justices return to the bench on Monday, that would be today, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first Monday in October. There's bucks and movies about that.
Speaker 4: Oh, this was published yesterday, that explains it already features cases on transgender rights, on traceable ghost guns, and whether Mexico may suit American firearms manufactures. Although my joke last segment aside, it's a comparatively non controversial term compared to, you know, three momentous terms. To quote the New York Times in which the Court eliminated abortion rights. That's an incredibly prejudicial way to put it. But this is the New York effing Times, which is as dishonest as any.
Speaker 2: Publication on her.
Speaker 1: Eliminated abortion rights is a sentence written to imply that it was a right that was taken away, right, Well, the opposite of what the Supreme The majority of the Supreme Court decided it's not a constitutional right, all right.
Speaker 4: Terribly decided, Yeah, anyway, did away with race conscious college admissions. The aftermath of that has been so interesting to observe where a lot of colleges their ratios of various ethnicities admitted to have changed, but in some of the big ones they've stayed precisely the same as if they're giving the finger to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: How odd.
Speaker 4: Let's see, in the last session created substantial immunity for presidential crimes, but the ducket is for now less controversial. One of the cases will decide a First Amendment challenge to a Texas law aiming at shielding miners from online pornography. That one definitely worth watching. It's not like the pro miners watching porn crowd is going to be demonstrating in the streets. But where the First Amendment goes and how it's managed in the era of online well ubiquitous porn for its Oh my god, Oh it's a sticky wicket, it really is, and it's a serious problem for society. Then they're looking at the FDA's efforts to discourage young people from smoking e cigarettes. Let's see DNA testing for death row inmates, a disposal of nuclear waste, in the police use of deadly force. They could include Second Amendment cases, blah blah blah. One that I will be watching carefully is Us versus Scurmetti, a challenge to a Tennessee law that bans some medical treatments for transgender miners. You know we need to start affirming surgery, Joe affirming care. No, I think we need to start at the very beginning of this with the language. In fact, I don't think it, I know it. I'm adamant about it. Treatments for transgender miners immediately assumes that there is such a thing as transgender miners. I reject that notion. What do you want I agree with you? What do you want the language to be?
Speaker 1: Because I Fox this morning actually said one of the cases they may take up is a case around gender affirming care, and I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're using that term on Fox.
Speaker 4: I've actually tweeted Brett bar not that he ever sees it, but yeah, they're using that incredibly prejudicial, radical gender theory term on Fox News.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just using that phrase means you agree with it. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could call it a number of things, experimental, secondary, sexual characteristic procedures. It's a little bit of a mouthful, but calling it gender affirming care seeds the battlefield of language to your enemy, which is an incredible mistake.
Speaker 1: Is in my offense talking to a woman the other day who had gone to her doctor and was wondering if this is a new thing heard like a check up or something like that, and her doctor had said, are you taking any supplemental hormones?
Speaker 2: Either male or female?
Speaker 1: And it had never been asked that before. Are you taking any male hormones? And wondered, like, do I look like I'm transitioning? Is that what you're trying to say?
Speaker 2: Wow? Thank you for that. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way to make a girl feel pretty exactly.
Speaker 4: Male or female hormones is an odd way to put it, too, since I believe we all have all of them, just in different measures.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 4: A good point anyway, that more than twenty other states have similar laws against cruel experimental treatments for confused adolescence. That's you know, I don't I will never use the term transgender miner. They're confused adolescents. They have one of a variety of psychological problems, including, in large numbers of them, autism, and the idea that we have.
Speaker 2: To affirm their gender.
Speaker 4: Yees, since when do we affirm what a confused adolescent thinks ought to happen in the world?
Speaker 2: When did that start? You're right, way to make a girl feel pretty? Please do not use gendered language to advest everyone, doctor saysnia, So how's the transition coming along? Whoa, whoa? Whoa? What now? That's like wheneer you do for what? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just don't go there the tennis. Listen to this from the New York Times. Damn them. The Tennessee law prohibits medical providers from prescribing puberty blockers or hormones to treat the psychological distress caused by incongruence between experienced gender and that assigned at birth. There's no such thing as experienced gender.
Speaker 2: Stop it.
Speaker 4: They're making all this crap up and trying to infect society with it.
Speaker 2: Reject it. Experienced gender.
Speaker 1: To one year anniversary of a horrific day in Israel, we should talk a little bit about that in the politics around it.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty