Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. I want to know if y'all put marshmallows on your yam?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Does that recipe you got that from?
Speaker 2: I love this is?
Speaker 1: This is the.
Speaker 4: Y'all get into it.
Speaker 3: First of all, let me just let me just say that Tiffany. Tiffany is not the lead starting with that, because we're not We're not welcoming. We are not welcome you. Welcoming you into our home with marshmallows our.
Speaker 4: Either way, but no, so.
Speaker 3: Let me ask about your plating. Let me ask you this up.
Speaker 1: You want to say what this is?
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: We are talking about Thanksgiving menus recipes. And before we even got into it, I think who puts marshmallows on their yams? I like marshmallows on my yams. And that set off for war.
Speaker 3: So now.
Speaker 4: It's like the sugar on grits battle.
Speaker 3: I don't do sugar on grits, but I don't mind I do sugar.
Speaker 1: Kick your ass back.
Speaker 5: You have already been revealing enough, so let me just say that.
Speaker 1: That, no, we're not talking about grits. We're talking about Thanksgiving dinner on your let.
Speaker 3: Me ask you this question. And so where plate positioning where Tiffany, Since you put marshmallows on it, making it a dessert. Where where are your yams sweet and safe? Where are they where they placed on your plate?
Speaker 4: So I don't like it depends on the food. But I don't like food to touch, like I want my greens and my corn bread.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, I'm out touching my sweet potatoes.
Speaker 5: We got you gotta be quiet, corporad inside the greens.
Speaker 4: Cormorating greens can mac and cheese and sweet potatoes can touch. If there are no marshes, then those two can touchts. But other than that, and and I got another one for y'all to j'all not gonna like. I don't eat turkey. I don't like turkey.
Speaker 2: I bet you make your mac and cheese on the store.
Speaker 1: A lot of people that don't like it. Okay, here's my question. I got, I got some battles. Let's do a little rapid round Macari and Andrew is gonna be hardest for y'all, let's try. Okay, So marshmallows on sweet potatoes. We've established that's only tips nasty. Yes, The next question I have is do you like sweet corn bread or savory corn bread?
Speaker 4: Spicy corn bread?
Speaker 3: Tiffany where, she with lloydsgiving answer, Oh, I like I like sweet because I actually like either a little cane syrup or a little maple syrup or my corn bread.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's one for y'all. Do you eat velveta in your mac and cheese? Is that one of the Jesus?
Speaker 2: No, I don't really know.
Speaker 3: I just eat what I was like. I was like, my mama uses about six or seven cheeses. It drives me so, so it's a true stuff. I don't know if I don't know if Ellen wants me sharing this, but my mama gave Ellen her macaroni and cheese recipe and she shortcutted it the first time. And my mama did not appreciate that. Ell. It was like she put all these cheeses in the macaroni and cheese. So I'm not sure if it's Belvida not. I just know it's a lot of cheeses. And I like the cooked in that nice glass pan, and I like I like so. I like the edges where it burns a little bit on the side and it's a little crispy on the side.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out that this was a rapid round in your ass.
Speaker 3: And Tiffany, Tiffany and Keisha bottoms they make macaroni and cheese together.
Speaker 2: And on the.
Speaker 5: On the topic of Magan cheese, my mother and my mother in law takes my wife's recipe on maga cheese.
Speaker 1: I good job, Jay, Okay, here here's my last wrap around for y'all, and then we can go wherever y'all want. My last wrap around for y'all is, do you put pork or smoke turkey in the greens?
Speaker 4: Neither. I don't eat meat and so growing I eat around growing. No, I don't even like I don't like the fas.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you my friend Lenise Lonise Hair and some call her out God rest her mother's soul. Her mother her name was Ginger and she so we called them ginger greens. But she made greens with no meat, and she put like apples side vanegar all these different seasons than them, it was, but the greens were amazing. Like, I didn't miss the meat at all. But growing up, my paternal grandmother would do turkey neck. My maternal grandmother would do neck bones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I yep, I'm a smoke turkey person. I didn't answer none of these rapper absolutely no. Yelvida seven cheese is though baked three times and then I don't know. I'm fine with sweet corn bread or savory corn bread, but I love to make honey butter, so it ends up being sweet recipes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think we established you do not like marshmallows.
Speaker 3: On your No.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it ain't happening.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: The only place I like marshmallows is in rice krispy tree.
Speaker 4: A marshmallow like chocolate to I like them straight up to the internet came back.
Speaker 2: But you know my mother, my aunt, shout out Aunt Barbara.
Speaker 5: She makes the castle role, the sweet potato casserole with the nuts and the peacans.
Speaker 2: Cinnamon pecan crushed.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I'm gonna y'all say pecans or pecans, but clear pecans. Car is your inter andet.
Speaker 3: Right, no chick there giving them bad ass recipes, not my internet out. I ain't never seen nothing like that before. No, no, no.
Speaker 1: You should drink no met yeah, she said no.
Speaker 3: So let me just give y'all. Let me give you all a couple of suggestions. Go ahead and call them now as soon as you hear this episode. Make sure you reach out to Popeyes or Bojangles. They have extraordinary fried turkeys if you order them early enough. They have occasion fried turkey. They're injected so well that they are just moisturized and you don't have to worry about cooking them. You throw them, you just heat them, but they are fried to perfection in a lab together, Yes, in the lab, and you're gonna you know anyway, I'll save that joke for later.
Speaker 1: My best friends mama swear by that Popeye turkey. I just can't fix my mouth to eat no more Popeyes. I'm sorry, I'm off that I can't do it.
Speaker 3: But is great Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: You gotta have anti fried or chef meal.
Speaker 1: Cheve you meal, fries, our turkeys good.
Speaker 4: I'm even when I ate meat. I never like turkey. Find never ate the turkey.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of black people that think the most important thing, and Thanksgiving is the side that's a lot of I got it unpopular.
Speaker 4: Okay, what about this?
Speaker 3: Let me go back.
Speaker 1: Oh, we definitely got.
Speaker 3: Real quick because the most important thing is making sure after you order from Popeyes or Bojangles, make sure you do not forget to order your honey baked ham and go stand in line and pick that thing up at honey Ham.
Speaker 1: What happened to internet went out?
Speaker 2: We didn't hearney turkey to that smoked turkey too.
Speaker 1: I don't mean no pork on my forks.
Speaker 2: It's going to be an overload on my plate.
Speaker 5: So will the smoke well seasoned and juicyfied turkey, dark meat.
Speaker 1: Smoked, smoked and and fried both.
Speaker 2: I will take all that.
Speaker 1: I want to know how you're saying smoked turkey turkey like the Yeah, it's about to be a dry ass.
Speaker 3: I like the breast. I like the breast to be fried, and I like a turkey wing. I like the ham because I like the next day. I like to take one of those Hawaiian sweet rolls and throw my hand in it with just a little dab of mustard.
Speaker 2: Man, I eat leftovers for I mean seriously, and it's all good.
Speaker 3: After they fours, when you got to freeze it for later.
Speaker 2: That's true to package it.
Speaker 1: I'll definitely package it up. I was gonna say one thing that I started last year that I'm excited to bring back this year is until you'll appreciate this other than the well, you won't appreciate it. Actually, But I was going to say, the stuffing now is corn bread. It's cornbread dressing, and I layer in seafood cornbread dressing so it has lobster, crawfish, crabb meat, and shrimp in a layer. And instead of mixing it in, I layered it in so that it keeps its form. And I make a homemade brown turkey gravy is amazing. But if you won't appreciate it because I also cook the dressing with some smoke turkey, so you wouldn't need that.
Speaker 2: Actually, we both like, you'll make both available righteod dressing?
Speaker 1: And if she's I would, But if she would.
Speaker 3: Would you do?
Speaker 2: Would you make available both the seafood dressing and your Oh no, okay.
Speaker 1: Somebody else can make that. I make too much stuff. I make greens, I make yams, I make mac and cheese. I'm gonna make this seafood dressing. I'm gonna make did I say yams? I make the yams, and then I'm gonna make probably two.
Speaker 3: Different Who makes makes the chicklings?
Speaker 1: Nobody ain't nobody wants that this smell like ass in my house.
Speaker 2: No, got to take the membrane.
Speaker 3: Now you got to clean them. You don't clean them in the house inside.
Speaker 1: I have never thinks a chip. My parents have never prepared them. I thank God for these people. And no, but I used to.
Speaker 3: Sing from the Dodger's gas station in Orangeburg. You go to the gas station and they got the pickle picks for like seventy five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Michael Harriet, I don't like them, but I do like I do like hot what they call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't y'all have cheese before?
Speaker 3: Of course I have.
Speaker 1: My grandmother used to always have it.
Speaker 2: Isn't it called permento?
Speaker 3: No, those are two different.
Speaker 6: Things, very very so, like I think Tiffany, can I tell you my one Thanksgiving food saying that I know Tiffany does.
Speaker 3: Do not invite me over, and don't label the sweet potato pie, because if I bite a piece of that pie and it's pumpkin pie, I'm flipping some ship over.
Speaker 4: Oh we don't.
Speaker 3: I feel like Tiffany has pumpkin pie on her counter.
Speaker 4: Why why do you think I have marshmallow?
Speaker 3: Because she likes peppers in her in her corn.
Speaker 4: Bread hot peppercorn bread. It was so good. I love hot peppercorn bread. We have never. I don't do pumpkin anything. I do pumpkin soup. Pumpkin soup is amazing, really good.
Speaker 3: What I'm talking about all the pumpkin out I don't pumpkin pies.
Speaker 1: I don't like pump soup.
Speaker 2: I don't like the smell of it.
Speaker 4: But pumpkin it's not really pumpkin. It's a more Caribbean.
Speaker 1: Is it more like butternut squashed?
Speaker 4: Not really. I don't need another black blacking. I hate corn. I can't stand corn. I don't pumpkin soup has corn in it, and so I pick the corn. But pumpkin soup is delicious.
Speaker 2: You have a very eclectic that's I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it's a Jamaican that's a Jamaican staple.
Speaker 3: So but I don't.
Speaker 4: But no, I don't do pumpkin pies. I don't know why Percari thinks I would have pumpkin pies.
Speaker 1: I'm just telling you only because of the yams and the mar.
Speaker 3: And I don't in the greens.
Speaker 1: I wonder if this is like a regional thing around, like the marsh mellows and yams because I know black, do you know?
Speaker 4: But I'm thinking tis like it that way. Yes, my Midwest family, Yes, that's like growing up, I had marshmallows on yams. That wasn't strange. But my grandmother who's from Georgia does not make her marshmallows.
Speaker 2: Did you have porridge on the night before or no?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: I didn't have porridge anyway?
Speaker 1: You know what I will say too. I have a cousin who can really really cook. I will she will remain nameless for the purposes of this show. Really cooked. But she stopped eating sugar and for I can't remember it was Christmas last year or things given last year, she made a sweet potato pie with soy milk and we were like, you take these back home? She makes six of them.
Speaker 3: Andrew Andrew, Tiffany Tiffany Servant. I don't even Tiffany Servant on sweet Tea with.
Speaker 4: Wearing this whole idea like I was, Yeah, it's so strange that started with it must be I guess because you have like inexperienced that you think is something that y'all are. I got macaroni in.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Come on over here, let's use your recipe. Come on over here. Let's let's use your recipe and make some macaroni.
Speaker 2: Davis would love your mac and cheese, though, if it's stove.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Andrew, I don't make.
Speaker 3: A preteen palate. I don't know what I don't know about.
Speaker 4: It's so ridiculous, you guys.
Speaker 1: This was supposed to be a family friendly show, and it was also supposed to be one where we could share our favorite dishes. And all of a sudden is we're real gangs. They're real fasts.
Speaker 4: So ridiculous anyway, So, Tiff, what's the thing.
Speaker 1: That you when you go to do a Thanksgiving like Pollock with family or friends? What do you?
Speaker 2: And Tee?
Speaker 4: Definitely mac and cheese, but not every I need truffle mac and cheese. And not everybody likes trouble, but I love. I put trouble on everything, so I do trouble mac and cheese.
Speaker 3: It's acquired.
Speaker 4: You don't like trouble.
Speaker 3: I love trouble. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I love truffles quiet.
Speaker 3: I mean, can you just stick to like the nineteen sixty like pre you got the sneak?
Speaker 4: I love truffle macanee. When I meat. I would do cornish hen instead of turkey because.
Speaker 3: I didn't like my daddy like cornish torn.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, shut up, Andrew.
Speaker 5: Thing.
Speaker 4: But I haven't made dressing in like ten years.
Speaker 3: I like cranberry sauce. I bring that cranberry sauce.
Speaker 4: I like can cranberry sauce. I don't likes.
Speaker 3: I like cranberry sauce with the like with like.
Speaker 2: Y yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Ya, I don't want none of it. I don't want cranberry sauce that way or the other way. I made a cranberry woman like some orange.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was about this this I know, Andrew Andrew back when we were back when I used to go to when my grandparents were alive, to go to their house and they used to have y'all know what is is when they used to have the ginger rell and they would put like scoops of sherbet in it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I didn't know. I had a regularly.
Speaker 1: I know that ship is called sugar.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they put some on it.
Speaker 5: What do you drink aside from sweet tea which is mandatory, y'all bring y'all get check sodas.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have ginger beer and izzies, and I clearly Canadian, we have boogie drinks. I just don't bring alcohol to my family gatherings because I don't know what's.
Speaker 2: The last time that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just not a good idea. So we just have not very Christian kojic.
Speaker 3: He's on the guests. It depends on. If it's like immediate family, then it's just. If it's not, if it's my cousins, my daddy's wild turkey gets cracked open underneath the sink, and then you got the one cousin you got to go outside and smoke with.
Speaker 2: But first of all, everybody going out, come back to the car, come back, come back.
Speaker 3: I look like this my allergies maybe gonna take some clarity.
Speaker 2: I know, Hey, what time y'all?
Speaker 3: Eat?
Speaker 2: What time y'all? I'm just curious to take your service.
Speaker 1: This is bad. You guys aren't gonna like to.
Speaker 3: To two cars?
Speaker 2: What you got? Angel?
Speaker 4: No, I want to hear tips because I think, I mean, my family doesn't really eat together anymore. But when we did, it was late, it was probably like five or six.
Speaker 2: But you do you and your friends go out to the beach. Is that am I mixing up? Don't worry about me. Yep, I make that up because I thought and said like.
Speaker 3: He had a like he knew you like.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: It's from gilded ages. It's where the rich people go, Black people went for vacation and holiday.
Speaker 4: So I just about me or my background makes you think that I have.
Speaker 3: A marshmallow.
Speaker 4: Marshmallow mellow.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not.
Speaker 2: The way it's prepared.
Speaker 3: You can kind of if you bring some, but.
Speaker 1: So is not even the actual truffle.
Speaker 4: Well, I do on top once it's all done. But you can't cook truffle. But the truble tea, that's right, you know, cook it. So I use Trouble cheese and my mac and cheese, but I also put it on top. I use Trouble salt like it's it's definitely a trouble mac and cheeks.
Speaker 1: We talked about We talked about things. We talked about, trust I'm gonna tell you. We talked about times. You guys know I can be late. So no, only when we tell my family four or four or five, they know to come about an hour later. So we normally start about five thirty or six because we just I don't know. I don't manage my time well. In the kitchen, I get a d D. I start cooking six things at once. It's hard. So I got to keep my music on to get going. But I know, speaking again to goal, we got to get out of here. So I wanted to know if y'all had a quick quick note of gratitude as we get ready for the holiday, getting people focused on the right intention in this really difficult time.
Speaker 3: No, I love you, guys. I think I think we should say I love you more often.
Speaker 4: Allow, that's what that's your appreciation echo if you have one, I agree with a carry okay, good.
Speaker 2: Love you'll joy. I apologize for misunderstanding you. I was really just making cracks.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm just through the course.
Speaker 3: He's trying to he's working, working through his therapy, so he's trying to apologize.
Speaker 2: Working through y circle apology. I would say, I would say, I'm thankful for life, health and strength, and for the people who hold me down without my asking, and vice versa.
Speaker 3: The one where you will now and yourself again.
Speaker 2: It's open ended. You can opt into this, but you know who you are.
Speaker 1: I love that I mine is just for our people, for the culture. We figure out a way to laugh, to keep from crying, we figure out a way to be resilient. It has been an extraordinarily difficult year on a micro and macro level. So I'm thankful for each of you and for all you do for our team behind the scenes of Native Lampod. I'm thankful for you all as well, and for all of our listeners are full Native lamp Pod Village. We're grateful for y'all. We wish you well as you go into this weekend before Thanksgiving, and hopefully you get all your shopping done before it gets like hell in that in the in the store and watch some prices.
Speaker 2: But y'all still cost a lot.
Speaker 3: Don't go to the store.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't go to the stores, remember, unless they are and Sunday.
Speaker 1: I definitely am talking about preparing Thanksgiving dinner. But you keep on that point because that is because we ain't buying it for the following week.
Speaker 3: Bye, y'all. Welcome home.
Speaker 2: You gotta prepare people welcome home. Ain't mind it, welcome home.
Speaker 1: I'm buying me, am though.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.