Speaker 1: I am all in. Let's you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast Hey.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Scott Patterson, I I'm all in podcasts. iHeart Radio one eleven productions. iHeart media. iHeart podcasts as well. I am joined by my inte intrepid crew. Not my intep not my tipping crew, they or anything but tip it. They are intrepid. Susanne French Amy Sugarman Tara Suit is on location in Bahrain. She is heading home though. However, this is pop culture for season six, episode twelve, just like when Amy, you know what you do this first one?
Speaker 2: Okay, Loralaia is at Luke's and saying she has gotten a lot of stuff done already because she was up early. I already got some I saw the sunrise, I paid all my bills. Luke brings the cup over and starts to pour coffee. I already got some, hun And this is a first. I saw the beginning of Katie Kuric. I don't think I've seen this first five minutes of her in my life. You know, she and Matt Lower are much more serious in the first half hour than they are later on. I guess that makes sense. You know, you can afford to make people sad and angry about the economy and stuff when they first wake up. But then just as there, as we're heading to the office, you leave them with a dose of Matthew McConaughey People's Sexiest Man, and woosh, they're raring to go. So Laura is referring to the host of the Today Show at the time and being up early enough for the early hours of the show. So at the time, Katie Kirk and Matt Lower were the hosts. The current hosts are Savannah Guthrie and Hoda but I digress. She also references Matthew McConaughey because at the time he was rom com sort of a leading rom com guy, and he had started How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days the Wedding Planner failure to launch and was likely People's Sexiest Man Alive. The current People's Sexiest Man Alive is Patrick Dempsey. Oh, and I just failed my knee but heard that.
Speaker 1: And who's runner up in case he can't fulfill him? A great duty? Questions, King of Sexiness.
Speaker 2: That's such a great question. They don't formally nominate a runner up.
Speaker 1: What was the what was the winning question. There's always a question at the end of each pageant. What was the question that he answered?
Speaker 2: How do we achieve world peace? Isn't that usually a.
Speaker 1: Right? Remember that viral cliph God, there's so many, Suzann, Why don't you take this one?
Speaker 3: Okay? Happily, Rory is at her apartment and another bouquet of flowers is for her. She walks in and there are already a ton of flowers inside. Paris says, oh, terrific. Bring them on in Algernon. The more the merrier. Paris is referencing the short story by Daniel Keys called Flowers for Algernon. The title comes from when Algernon the Mouse dies, Charlie says, I wept as I put a bunch of wild flowers on the grave. Charlie sees the flowers as a symbolic act of remembering someone who might as well be a little blip on the radar.
Speaker 1: Hmmm yeah. Starring The movie version starred Cliff Robertson.
Speaker 2: I read that book and it kind of broke my heart. I still have, like I'm still triggered by it. Like when you say it, I'm like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: That was Yeah, that was required reading in school. Yeah, senior staffers at Yale Daily Needs are considering voting Paris out as editor. Johnny. We're seriously considering Hal Rains and her hol Rains was the executive editor of The New York Times from two thousand and one until he left in two thousand and three in the wake of this scandal related to reporting by Jason Blair. The Yale Daily news Board uses his name is verb because Rain's got pushed out because he kept publishing Blair's work even after getting a memo from the Metro editor. In an internal investigation, it was revealed that thirty six of the seventy three national stories Blair filed with the paper over a six month period were marred by airs of false date lines or evidence of plagiarism. Wow wow, Yeah, that was a lot. Mm hmm. Yeah, that was kind of the maybe the first major chink in the New York Times armor they did. They call her the old gray lady. I don't know, New York Times. I could be mistaken.
Speaker 2: Maybe makes sense. I get where you're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, maybe that lady died. Who knows?
Speaker 2: LORELEI runs into Taylor in cognito on the street Taylor says, I'm incognito, don't you see? First of all, that alone is the hilarious line with the carnival coming up. This is my Huckleberry Finn opportunity to observe things invisibly. You know, I'm not going to be around forever Loralai, So I might be mistaken, but I took this reference if I remembered Huckleberry Finn correctly. I thought everyone thinks he dies, and so he gets to go to his own funeral and witness it. So that is what I thought this reference was, because essentially Taylor, everyone thinks he's not there, so he gets to spy on the carnival. Now, our researchers also said this, Taylor references Huckleberry Finn because his observations are not filled with judgments. Instead, huck observes his environment and gives realistic descriptions of life in Mississippi. So that very mal very well may be true. But my memory of the book is that he gets to go to his own funeral. So somebody will will correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just did a super quick google and it says in the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Tom and Huckleberry Finn both presumed dead walk into the middle of their federal service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think that's what it's referencing, Susanne.
Speaker 1: You can oh no, it's me same scene. Lorelei, commenting on Taylor Incognito's hooded look. Taylor, well, I should go, Larele back to eight Mile. There it is the lie. Lorelei is referring to the rapper Eminem in the film Eate Mile, who dressed in a hooded sweatshirt. She is comparing Taylor's look to Eminem's. Eminem ended up winning an Oscar for his song in the film Lose Yourself, which was the first rap song ever to win. Did you know? For the rap battle scenes, director Curtis Hansen started an improv freestyle rap battle among the extras, and the best rappers would be filmed going head to head with Eminem. Out of one hundred and thirty four extras, four made it to a filmed scene where they got fifteen seconds on one take only. That must have been very, very exciting for those extras, I'll tell you that much. And that must have been one heck of a competition anyway, Uh, Susanne, I believe you are up.
Speaker 3: Laura, I runs into Zach and the town Square and he's in a bad mood. Laura I says you okay, Zach, Zach says, yeah, I'm great. I lost my girlfriend, my band's broken up, my best friend won't speak to me, and I'm reduced to working as a five dollars an hour carnee. Bob Dylan should write a song about me. Bob Dylan is an iconic folk singer and writer, and Zach is referencing Bob Dylan because he mostly wrote about being down and out or being sad.
Speaker 1: He wrote about down and out being sad.
Speaker 2: He was that sort of simplified it a bit.
Speaker 1: Busy. Nobody chronicled the cult the times they lived in better than Bob Dylan. He did a little bit more than that. Hey, very distinctive style that he took from an inspired by Arlo Guthrie and what are you Guthrie? What do you Guthrie? Hey? What you doing there?
Speaker 2: So, Rory's trying to console Laureli and Luke about uh Luke's situation with his daughter. Sorry, Rory's trying to console Laureli about the situation with Luke and his daughter. Rory, I'm sure he panicked. I'm sure, he's not telling you, says nothing about your relationship. Maybe this is a cheesy perspective to offer you, But once Stefani and Gavin ross Dale went through the same sort of situation. He found out he had a kid that he didn't know about. But they made it work as far as I know. Important that she said, as far as I know, because that was then, this is now. Gwen and Gavin were married from two thousand and two to twenty fifteen. They actually have three children together. In October twenty twenty, I'm sorry. In October twenty four, Gavin learned he fathered a child in nineteen eighty nine. After a long string of legal letters, Rosdale agrees to take a paternity test in late two thousand and four. The test reveals that, in fact, the father of the fifteen year old runway model Daisy Low was Gavin. This is used as an example for Luke and Lareli that if Gwenn and Gavin can make it work, oops, so can Luke and lare Lie. This is also where the title of the episode comes from. They did make it work, but then they didn't because Gwen is now married to Blake Shelt.
Speaker 1: Like fifteen years they were married. That's anty, that's an eternity. Not that in Hollywood. I tell you so every five years. It's like pretty much the equivalent in Hollywood years of a golden anniversary. Zach is challenging the guy who was talking to Lane in the bottle toss. But about gee, Zach, what's with being all Goose Gossage. Zach starts to hit Joe's bottles and gets them all. Zach, those aren't your bottles. Goose Gossage is a former baseball pitcher who played twenty two seasons in the Major leagues between nineteen seventy two and nineteen ninety four. He pitched for nine different teams, spending his best years with the New York Yankees and the San Diego Padres. Because Zach is throwing hard at the bottle toss game, he's calling him a famous major league pitcher, Goose Gossage. I got to go to a spring training with the Goose Gossage when I was really yeah, I got to know him. He's never got awesome guy. He threw about He threw about one hundred miles an hour. It was all throwing all his arms and legs up in the air and just delivering this sort of low three quarter sizzler. It had a nasty sink on it. He threw a really heavy ball. He just dominated hitters when he was on, and he was always on, and he was just like, you know, he was just he was from I think he was from Colorado or someplace. And he's just a just a real real country boy, you know what I mean. It just just unreal, this guy. And they all took me out one night drinking because you know, I was maybe gonna make the team in eighty three ha ha, what a joke. But they took me out to get me drunk and to check me out, and it was quite the night. It was gust gosh. It's Dave Winfield, Ricky Henderson, Bobby Mercer and Lou Panella. And I was this young guy just with stars in my eyes. Couldn't believe they kept ordering me drinks. But Goose was It was just iconic, dude. I mean, just the greatest guy in the world. And I hope he's doing well anyway, Susanne, I'm gonna let you take this one because this is the controversial line. Yes, and and I maybe don't say this word.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is Zach after beating Lane's uncle at the bottle toss.
Speaker 1: Right. He didn't beat him, right, not.
Speaker 3: Like physically, you know, throwing fists, right ya?
Speaker 1: He won the bottle.
Speaker 3: Toss and Zach says, yeah, welcome to the s H blank. And Zach is quoting the iconic line from the Fox TV show The OC when Ryan gets punched up by Luke while defending Seth, and Luke says, welcome to the OC.
Speaker 1: Blank.
Speaker 3: What is funny about this reference is Seth is played by Adam Brody, who of course played Dave Rigowski, who is Lane's first love and Gilmore Girls, And we assume that Adam did not reprise his role as Dave because he was offered the role on The OC.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is, I think on network standards you can say the D word, the D swear word D and then and you can say the B word, and you can all the word. It's so you can also say maybe because it's this is my guess, because the original word is something different. It's like a female dog, right, yeah, So you can also say the other D word. Now I hear that from time to time, the other D word. Do you know what I'm talking about. That one. I'm like, I can't believe we can say that on TV and then on like TBS type stations you can say s h I t I hear it. On CNN too, you can say sah no.
Speaker 1: Maybe instead of saying that word, we could say we could replace it so we know what we're talking about. With something like bionic itch. I'm feeling itchy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the OC. Bionic Itch.
Speaker 1: Loses something, thank god, you know, thank god it loses something. That's that's an awful anyway. I think that's gonna wrap it up. Kids. Thank you, susay in French, thank you, Amy, Sugarman. Next episode, it just disappeared again, so I can't read it.
Speaker 2: It's Friday nights all right for fighting? Did I get that right? Friday Night's all right for.
Speaker 1: Anyway? That's gonna do it, folks. Thank you, Suzanne, Thank you Amy. Tara will be back soon and we're soon to see the one and the Only, but not the one and the only. Yes, it is one of the only one and the only. Danielle Romo returning from attorney leave. Next episode, Season six, Episode thirteen, Friday Nights all Right for Fighting? We will see you next time. We'll see it at the iHeart Theater January seventy. We're gonna blow the roof off. Go get your tickets. Check out the socials you get the link to directly to purchase tickets. There's only three hundred seats. Yeah, get them while they're hot and they're gonna go up. Gosh, they're up now, right.
Speaker 2: I am all in Live?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all in Live. Event tickets available. We will see you there or B square love you guide uh, see you next time, you too, they say, everybody and Telus again. Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com